- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

As Gus and Jason continue to struggle with the loss of their baby, Heather learns something that could change everything.

 

Gus and Jason looked on as they watched their parents, siblings, and a few other family members milling about the room, occasionally stopping to coo or smile at the baby boy lying in the playpen in the middle of the floor.  Regalo entertained them with his little arms and legs pumping the air, as he seemed to giggle at all the attention he was getting.  The scene was bittersweet for the couple.  They were tremendously proud to see how much their family enjoyed being with their son, but felt an emptiness that came from knowing that there should be two baby boys in the playpen, not one.  It was a few days past the month mark since they first brought both babies into this home, and the pain caused by their missing child was just as strong, if not stronger, than it had been on that first horrible night that changed everything. 

 

 

 

But this time, the family gathering was meant to provide a genuine ray of hope for everyone… hope that their situation would soon change.  Thanks to the efforts started by Gus’s dad, Brian, a private detective found a man who claimed to have sold his car to the woman (Heather) shown during a Wanted ad on TV.  The detective gave the information to authorities after interviewing the man and determining that they had the right person.  As soon as it was confirmed that she had indeed purchased her car from the gentleman in Texas, the news was passed on to Gus and Jason by the FBI.  Brian and Justin had already been informed of the news through their detective.  Now it was up to the authorities to track her down, thanks to the license plate on her car.  She had registered the car in Houston, where she bought the car.  This, however, didn’t mean that she had remained in the area, but it was a possibility.  The task was now for the local police to try and find the car.  Although there had been no progress in finding it anywhere in the Houston area, a wider search was now on in earnest.  This was the news that Gus and Jason brought everyone together to hear.  They now believed that there was no way Heather could remain hidden forever, if she was still driving the same car with the same license plate. 

 

 

 

The moment that Gus and Jason explained the details of progress in the case, there was a distinct change in the atmosphere in the room.  Where there had been an air of sadness pervading all hearts and minds, there was now a feeling of hope… hope that this nightmare they were living with would be resolved.  It now felt more like it was only a matter of time.  For the next hour, the family took turns holding and loving on baby, Regalo, while talking positively about the future.  When it was time to leave, Brian gathered the baby in his arms.  That’s when Gus and Jason heard what Brian said to the little one.

 

 

 

“Bye for now, RB, and don’t you worry.  AB will be back with you before you know it.  I give you my solemn promise on that.  Your dads love you both, and so does your entire family.”

 

 

 

Gus looked at Jason.  “Did you just hear what I did?  I think that Dad just gave our boys their nicknames.  What do you think of that?”

 

 

 

Jason laughed.  “Leave it to Brian to be the first.  Actually, I kind of like the sound of it.  I’ve heard talk that some folks thought the names we came up with were a little pretentious, or maybe just odd.  We know why we named our boys what we did, but most folks won’t.  At least with using only their initials, they won’t have to explain where their names came from when they get older.  Who knows, they might even resent us for coming up with something so different.”

 

 

 

“You have a point,” Gus responded.  “We’ll start referring to them as AB and RB.  It won’t take long before that’s how everyone will think of them.” 

 

 

 

Gus’s face changed.  The smile faded, replaced by a sadder look.

 

 

 

“We will have AB back home soon, right, Jason?”

 

 

 

Jason pulled Gus into his arms.  “Absolutely!  Our boys will be together again before you know it.  I haven’t a doubt in my mind.”

 

 

 

Brian and Justin joined them, having overheard those last remarks as they approached.  Brian laid his hand on Gus’s shoulder.  Gus turned to him and saw the look of confidence in his father’s face.  His smile returned.

 

 

 

“Son, I give you my word that your boy will be returned to the family.  And you know that I never go back on my word.  If we have to tear this country apart to find him, we will.  But right now, it’s looking like we are on the right track.  It’s just a matter of time, and not a lot of that either, before we find Heather.  And once we do, this nightmare will be over for good.”

 

 

 

Gus and Jason walked Brian and Justin to the door and stood waving goodbye.  Before entering their car, the older couple turned back and gave the thumbs-up sign.  As they drove away, Jason turned to Gus.

 

 

 

“You know, Gee, that woman made a huge mistake taking on this family.”

 

 

 

Gus nodded his head.  He knew Jason was right.  Heather’s days of freedom with his son were numbered.  He finally believed it.

 

 

 

**********************************************

 

 

 

Marie watched, as she saw her new acquaintance approaching from the entrance to the park, and smiled.  It was almost two weeks since she had first struck up a conversation with the newcomer.  She found the mother, Heather (aka Cassie), to be quite interesting.  Their chats touched on a number of subjects, but always centered mostly on their children.  Since Marie had lots of experience raising two young sons, Heather was full of questions, which Marie loved answering.  Motherhood was Marie’s greatest joy, and she loved talking about her kids more than anything.  It was the main thing that the two women had in common.  The one topic that hadn’t come up so far was Marie’s husband.  She felt bad for her new friend, after being told about the abandonment of her son’s father.  Marie, however, was one of the lucky ones.  She had a devoted husband who was also a proud father.  There was nothing he wouldn’t do for his family.

 

 

 

“Hey, Cassie,” Marie called out as Heather approached.  “Isn’t it a beautiful day?  You know, I realize that you are probably used to this kind of weather, coming from California, but it’s rather rare for it to be this lovely at this time of year.  We’re not known for four seasons in this part of the country, so our Spring is very much like our Summers… hot, hot, hot.”

 

 

 

Marie laughed and Heather joined her. 

 

 

 

“I have heard that”, Heather responded, taking a seat next to Marie.  “I confess that I do miss the weather back home.  But I am starting to feel at home here, as well.”

 

 

 

Heather reached into her stroller and brought the baby out.  Marie reached her arms out, and Heather passed Amado (aka Steven) over to her.  Heather surprised herself in being so comfortable letting someone else hold the baby.  There was just something about Marie that made it feel safe to trust her.  Marie cooed at the infant and watched as he smiled up at her.  The baby was adorable, giving Marie images of having a third baby herself.  It briefly crossed her mind that it might be something to discuss with her husband later on.  After all, she might just have a daughter this time.  Heather noticed the look on Marie’s face.

 

 

 

“A penny for your thoughts,” she said.

 

 

 

Marie blushed.  “Oh dear, you just caught me wishful thinking.  Steven is such a beautiful baby.  It has been quite a while since I’ve held a tiny bundle of joy in my arms like this.  It kind of makes me think about having another child someday.”

 

 

 

Marie looked over at the nearby sandbox, where her two sons were rough housing with each other, and smiled.

 

 

 

“I mean, I am very happy with my boys, but it might be nice to try for a little girl this time.  Of course, with my luck I’ll probably end up with another son.  Of course, that wouldn’t disappoint my husband.”

 

 

 

Heather smiled.  “You never mentioned your husband.  So, he likes being a father?”

 

 

 

“Likes?  More like loves like crazy.  If he had his way, I would be pregnant every year.  But I’m afraid that’s not very practical on a cop’s salary.”

 

 

 

Heather caught her breath.  Although she had managed to convince herself that the baby she so lovingly cared for was her own son, Steven, her subconscious was well aware of the truth behind her actions.  She couldn’t control her first instinct to run at the word ‘cop’.  Shaking her head, as if to dispel her conscience, she smiled wanly at her new friend.  Marie, who was a very perceptive person, noticed the subtle change in her friend.

 

 

 

“Please don’t tell me that you are one of those folks who feel uncomfortable around police officers,” Marie laughed.  “Trust me, he is as gentle and kind a man as one could ever hope for.  Only the bad guys have reason to fear his presence.”

 

 

 

“Uhhh, no… no, of course not.  I, uhhh, well for some reason I just didn’t picture you married to a policeman.”

 

 

 

Marie laughed again.  “What did you picture?”

 

 

 

“I don’t know.  Maybe something more like a salesman, or maybe someone who is good at working with their hands… like a plumber or electrician.  I guess it was mostly based on the way you talked about your family, although you never specifically said anything about your husband.”  She paused.  “It must be interesting living with someone like that.  Does he ever bring home his work?”

 

 

 

“No,” Marie answered.  “Not for the most part.  I mean, he does occasionally talk about a few cases he has worked on.  He is actually a detective, not a beat cop, but he isn’t in homicide so most of his cases don’t involve grisly stuff that he wouldn’t want to share.”

 

 

 

“What kind of cases does he handle?” Heather asked, with a slight edge to her voice.

 

 

 

“He’s in the Missing Persons Division.”

 

 

 

Despite herself, Heather felt the blood drain from her face.  She coughed, disguising the choking feeling she suddenly felt.  The urge to run was almost more than she could handle, but she pulled herself together and responded.

 

 

 

“That must be an interesting job,” she commented, trying to sound enthusiastic.

 

 

 

Marie couldn’t fail to notice the change in her friend’s demeanor.

 

 

 

“Are you feeling alright?” She asked concerned.  “You seem a little pale.”

 

 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Heather responded.  “I seem to be developing one of my migraine headaches.  They come on without warning.  I think I had better get Stevie home and lay down for a while.  I’m sorry to cut our visit so short.”

 

 

 

“That’s okay,” Marie told her.  “I’ve never suffered from them, but I had a cousin who did, so I know how bad they can get.  I’m sorry to hear that you have to deal with them.  I hope they don’t come along too often.  You go home and get some rest.  Is there anything I can do to help?”

 

 

 

“No, no.  I’ll be fine after I get off my feet and take some meds.  I’ll see you again soon.”

 

 

 

With that, Marie handed the baby back to Heather and watched as she tucked him in securely.  With a wave, Heather proceeded to leave the park and walk back home.  It wasn’t too far, but a long enough walk for her to develop a real headache, as she pondered whether she should ever return to that same park again.  Something told her that it might be a risky thing to do.  For some reason, hearing about Marie’s husband frightened her, as if he could be a danger to her happy home.  She would have to think her options over very carefully.

 

 

 

To be continued………