- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

The big day has arrived, even though a bit premature, and the Kinney/Taylor family is about to grow by one more.  There will be surprises of all kinds...some happy and some not so much so.  Let's join in as JR goes into labor.

 

Noah stopped pacing long enough to take another glance at his watch.  As soon as they finished examining JR, they would let him back into the room.  He knew that, but it didn't make the waiting any easier.  It was barely five in the morning.  He could see through the tall windows at the end of the hallway that it was still pitch dark outside.  Had it been only an hour earlier that JR had awakened him from a sound sleep to announce that she was having labor pains....again?  The early contractions had stopped a couple of days ago after the hospital had given her medication and then sent her home.  The baby wasn't due for at least another two to three weeks, but outside of keeping a close watch on her, they were sure she'd be fine.  Well, so much for doctors knowing everything, Noah thought to himself.

 

 

 

As soon as he saw her settled in her room at the hospital, Noah made quick calls to a few selected people.  He knew who to call to make sure the news spread quickly throughout their family and friends.  After contacting JR's dad, Michael and her brother, Gus, he next tried to contact his own brothers.  He was surprised when Carl answered the home phone and told him that Matty wasn't available and would have to be reached by cell.  It was three hours earlier in California, yet he found it funny that Carl was home and not Matty.  He knew that the couple literally did everything together.  As long as he was able to get Matty on his cell, he gave it no further thought.  He would have been shocked to find out that Matty was only ten miles away, already making himself at home at the Kinney/Taylor house.

 

 

 

Noah was even more surprised when he couldn't reach Jacob and Sarah on their home phone.  At that hour, the whole family was doubtless sound asleep, but as a minister he was sure that Jacob would not turn his ringer off.  He tried Jacob's cell phone just in case and was surprised when his brother answered almost immediately.  Jacob quickly explained that he had gotten an emergency call from a parishioner and had to leave the house.  He had turned the ringer down low so it wouldn't bother his wife.  Noah shook his head and then quickly told Jacob that JR was back in the hospital again.  He could hear the concern in his brother's voice and welcomed the comforting words Jacob delivered before they hung up.  His eldest brother had been through this three times already so Noah valued his experience.  Strangely enough he thought he heard the voices of his nieces and nephew in the background, but he was too shook up over what was happening in JR's hospital room to let it fully register.

 

 

 

Noah's final call was to JR's other dads, Brian and Justin.  He didn't bother to call their house.  He knew they had cut their holiday in Ibiza short for JR's sake, but he wasn't sure when they were expected to arrive back home.  He prayed it would be really soon.  He called Brian's cell and heard him answer on the second ring.  Noah asked how long it would be before the couple arrived back home and was told it would only be a few hours at most.  Brian didn't bother to mention that the plane they were flying in was only an hour and a half away from Rhode Island, where he knew that Noah's family was waiting to be picked up.  The two men ended their call, with Brian reassuring Noah that he and Justin would be there as quickly as they could and to pass on their love to JR.

 

 

 

Noah continued his restless walk outside JR's room, trying to think if he had forgotten anything in his haste to get his wife to the hospital.  After what seemed hours, but was really no more than fifteen minutes, JR's doctor opened the door and motioned for Noah to join them inside.  Noah hurried in and went straight to JR, who tried her best to look like she wasn't worried at all.  Noah knew his wife intimately.  He wasn't fooled for a second.  Noah kissed JR gently and then turned to the doctor.

 

 

 

"So, what's the good word, Doctor Sriva?" Noah asked, hopefully.

 

 

 

"We have JR back on the Nifedipine to try and stop her contractions, but this baby seems to have a mind of its own.  She hasn't dilated yet, but we are going to have to keep her here for a while longer this time and monitor her progress.  If her water breaks or she begins to dilate we may have to accept that the baby isn't going to wait.  That's the best I can tell you at the moment."

 

 

 

Noah's face scrunched up with concern until he felt JR's hand tugging gently on his.  He looked down at his wife and saw the smile on her face. 

 

 

 

"It's going to be alright, Noah.  I come from good, strong Jewish/Italian stock.  From the stories I've been told, I gave my mother a hell of a time when she was carrying me too and look how well I turned out."  She paused, grasping Noah's hand with both of hers and squeezing tight.  "Nothing is going to go wrong for our baby.  He or she has two loving parents just waiting to spoil it rotten and a ton of aunts, uncles, and grandparents who have every intention of spoiling whatever part of them we miss.  Now promise me that you'll stop stressing out... promise?"

 

 

 

Noah hesitated only for a second and then leaned down to cover his beautiful wife's face with kisses. 

 

 

 

"I promise," he swore, fervently.

 

 

 

***********************************************************************

 

 

 

The plane carrying Brian, Justin, Jacob, Sarah, and their children finally landed at the Pittsburgh airport.  The trip had been long and tiring and everyone was more than ready to get home and settled in quickly so they could check on JR and Noah.  The last call they had received told them that things were progressing to the point that they might not be able to stop her from delivering the baby prematurely.  Brian had ordered a limo to pick the whole group up and it was waiting for them at the airport as ordered.  The kids, including the two teens, were in awe.  It was their first time in such a beautiful, big car.  The exhaustion that had overtaken them during the short flight from Providence to Pittsburgh vanished in a heartbeat as they gazed out the tinted windows of the stretch limo.

 

 

 

The sun was shining brightly as the vehicle pulled up into the long circular drive in front of the Kinney/Taylor house.  The driver had barely opened the door to disgorge the passengers when the massive front door opened and they saw Noah's middle brother, Matthew, stepping out of the house.  He rushed forward to greet his family.  Suitcases began piling on the walkway as everyone hugged each other in excited reunion.  Matty was happy to see that his nieces and nephew were thriving and joyfully hugged his brother and sister-in-law in turn.  They were just as happy to see Matty.  Brian and Justin stood apart from the rowdy group and looked at each other.

 

 

 

"Well, there goes our peaceful, quiet house...at least for a while," Brian grumbled.

 

 

 

Justin swatted his arm gently.  "You might as well get used to it now... Grandpa.  I'm presuming our little girl will allow us to babysit the little one once in a while.  That is, if you behave yourself and don't complain too much."  Justin laughed.

 

 

 

"Make you a deal, Sunshine, I won't complain if you swear that you'll do all the diaper duty and leave me with the playing part of babysitting.  Deal?"

 

 

 

"Yeah, right," Justin declared.  "I thought we had an equal partnership here!  Equal means we share all the grandfatherly duties, not just the ones you enjoy the most."

 

 

 

"Yes, dear," Brian laughed.  "Now, I think it's time we invited our guests inside so we can get refreshed and go surprise that son-in-law of ours."

 

 

 

Justin nodded his agreement.  A few minutes later everyone was entering the house, suitcases in hand.  Just as they were about to close the front door, Brian saw the familiar red car his son always drove.  He waited as he watched Gus and Jason exiting the vehicle and waved to them as they walked up the steps to join Brian.  Everyone met up in the huge family room off the entryway.  More hugs and greetings were exchanged with the newcomers, then Matty took his family upstairs to show them the rooms that Gus had indicated were for them during their stay.  As the excited sounds of the Roberts’ family moved up the stairs, Gus and Jason sat down across from Brian and Justin.

 

 

 

"Oh man, Dad, I can't believe it.  My baby sister is about to become a mother.  How did that happen?" Gus asked.

 

 

 

"Well Son, you must have forgotten your biology lessons, but here's how it goes.  First...."

 

 

 

"Gimme a break, Pop, I don't mean biologically, and I am sooo not thinking of my baby sister doing ‘it’, if you don't mind" Gus laughed.

 

 

 

"Ohhhh!  Sorry," Brian apologized, not looking contrite at all.

 

 

 

"So, has anyone heard what is going on at the hospital right now?" Jason interjected, wanting to change the subject.

 

 

 

Justin spoke up.  "The last thing we heard was they had slowed down the contractions but then her water broke, and she has started to dilate just in the last hour or so.  They don't expect it to be a fast delivery, but apparently the baby has no intention of waiting even a couple of more weeks.  I know that Noah has started gathering the troops and getting them to come to the hospital as soon as they can.  We intend to leave for there as soon as the Roberts’ family is settled in.  You boys want to join us?"

 

 

 

"Of course," came Gus' quick reply.  He didn't really look at Jason.  He knew that this was going to be a little hard on his husband.  He had talked Jason into coming along knowing that it would be good practice for when Jason's own sister, Gidge delivered her second child only a few months from now.  Life moved on.  Gus knew that they couldn't hold onto the pain of their loss forever.  It had to be tucked away so that they could share in the joy their loved ones felt at their own good fortune. 

 

 

 

It didn't take long for everyone to be rounded up and ready to head for the hospital.  The limo was waiting for them and all eight of them piled in.  Gus and Jason took their own car and followed them out of the driveway.  Everyone could hardly wait to see Noah's face when they arrived en masse to support their baby brother and his wife as she brought another Roberts into the world.  Soon after, the limo delivered its passengers to the front of the hospital and everyone climbed out.  They waited for the boys to park their car before entering the building all together.  They looked like a small army as ten folks of all ages crammed into one elevator, taking it up to the obstetrics floor. 

 

 

 

Noah was talking to Michael and Grandma Debbie with his back turned to the hallway, so he didn't see who was coming out of the elevator.  Michael did and his face started beaming.  He stopped Noah in mid-sentence and turned him around to face the hallway.  The look on Noah's face made everything worth all the trouble for Brian and Justin.  Noah didn't hesitate.  He ran to the oncoming crowd and threw his arm around first one brother and then the other.  The three men hugged tightly.

 

 

 

Once they separated, Noah had to ask, "How....when?"

 

 

 

"Your fathers-in-law, Noah...they all but threatened to kidnap us if we didn't come to be with you guys when the baby arrives," Jacob told him.

 

 

 

Noah looked over at Brian and Justin and mouthed a ‘thank you’.  They nodded.  Eventually the whole gang of supporters moved off to the waiting room, which was now completely filled with family and friends from both sides.  Even Gidge had shown up, leaving husband Kevin home with her toddler.  Over the next long hours, they each took their turns in visiting with the mother-to-be as her contractions grew steadily stronger and her body became more and more prepared for delivery.  She couldn't thank her dads, Brian and Justin enough for bringing Noah's family to Pittsburgh.  Once again she realized how lucky she was to have the family that she did.  Flowers and a telegram arrived from her boss, the Governor, with words of encouragement.  If it hadn't been for the strong and often painful contractions that seemed to go on forever, JR would have been a very happy girl indeed. 

 

 

 

More hours dragged by.  The family began taking turns going to the cafeteria to grab some late lunch.  Then supper time came around.  Still no baby and the dilation had slowed down.  JR was becoming exhausted.  Finally, the doctors decided to do an ultrasound on the baby.  That's when they discovered what appeared to be a problem with the baby's umbilical cord.  It was apparently wrapped around the baby's neck and keeping it from making safe passage into the birth canal.  The decision was quickly made that a C-section was required to be on the safe side.  Word traveled like wildfire throughout the waiting room. 

 

 

 

Noah came out to inform everyone that the doctors had full confidence in a safe delivery.  He was surrounded by love and support and he knew it.  He could feel it filling up every inch of the room.  His face reflected his concern for his wife, but at the same time he knew how lucky he was ever since the day he first met the vivacious young JR, a girl who stole his heart and still owned every piece of it to this very day. 

 

 

 

Brian could feel the nervousness as it gripped his heart.  Far too often he had sat in hospital waiting rooms while people he loved or cared about struggled to survive.  He knew this time was different, but images of Justin and Michael being wheeled into operating rooms flashed through his mind.    He only relaxed when he felt Justin's hand taking hold of his.  He looked up and saw his husband's reassuring smile.  He felt himself relaxing a bit under that gaze.  Justin always seemed to have a way of making him feel like nothing bad could touch their family and, even though bad things had affected them on occasion he knew that together they could handle anything.  Brian looked around and noticed that his son was missing, along with Jason.  He had seen them just moments before the word had spread about JR's surgery.  He would have loved to go out and find them, but he knew that they would have to deal with this unexpected turn of events in their own way.  They were grown men now and didn't need Daddy...unless they came to him for help, of course.

 

 

 

Gus had watched as Jason's face blanched when they heard that JR would have to have an emergency C-section.  He had grown to love JR in the same way he did his own sister.  Fear was written all over his face as he hurriedly moved off to the door leading to the stairs and pushed his way through it.  Gus followed close behind.  He caught up with Jason, who had sat down on the top step of their floor with his head buried in his hands.  Gus sat down beside him, laying his arm across Jason's shoulder.  Jason's head fell against Gus' chest and he sighed deeply.

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, Gee.  I just needed a little time to myself."

 

 

 

"Do you want me to go, Jase?"

 

 

 

Jason looked up at the man he loved.  He could see the worry for him in Gus' eyes. 

 

 

 

"No, Gee.  I'll be fine.  You don't have to worry about me.  This is about your sister, not me.  I know she and the baby will be fine.  Is it terrible of me to wish that it was Rachel who was going into that room to deliver our baby right now and that JR still had to wait a few more weeks?"

 

 

 

"I think that JR would understand how you feel.  I truly do.  I'm so happy for JR, but I can't help wishing we had the same chance to have our own family too.  It will happen someday, Jase.  I believe it with every fiber of my being.  We were meant to be parents, just like my dad, even though he was convinced he wouldn't be any good at it in the beginning.  It will just take us longer to get there.  Whenever you’re ready, we'll try again...or we'll try something different.  It isn't over for us...not by a long shot."

 

 

 

The couple hugged tightly and gathered their thoughts.  They then returned to join the others to wait for word on what was happening behind closed doors.  Time seemed to drag again, but finally they saw Noah entering the waiting room.   Despite looking totally wiped out, he had a smile on his face that brightened the room.  He was quickly surrounded by inquisitive family.  He raised his hand to hush the babbling questions.

 

 

 

"Baby and mother are fine," he pronounced.  "Six pound nine ounces of healthy baby.  The doctors think that she is only a week or so early but there seem to be no health problems at all."

 

 

 

"She, did you say she?" came a voice from the crowd.

 

 

 

"Oh sorry.  Yes, we have a healthy new daughter to add to the family."

 

 

 

Noah was engulfed with congratulatory hugs and kisses, with plenty of slaps on the back to go with them.  Gus and Jason offered theirs too, but then stepped back.  Brian and Justin had already moved away to watch as the Novotnys, Roberts, and everyone else continued to bombard the patient Noah with their questions.  They noticed Gus and Jason off to the side. 

 

 

 

"Well lover, it's official now.  No going back.  I'm pretty sure that JR and Noah are going to keep her so we really are grandfathers from this day forward," Justin declared.  He looked over at their son and his husband. Brian followed his gaze.

 

 

 

"I know, Sunshine.  I just wish that Mel and Linds could be here to be a part of this.  Do you think Gus will be okay?  I want this for him so badly.  He'll be ten times the father I was."

 

 

 

Justin kissed Brian and took his hand as he faced the man he loved.

 

 

 

"Brian Kinney, you are one hell of a fantastic father, and you'll be just as good at being a grandfather...maybe even better now that you have all this experience to draw on.  As for the girls, they are here in spirit, just as they were when the kids made it through school, found the loves of their lives, and embarked on careers they truly love.  I believe that love never really dies, and they loved their kids more than anything.  As for Gus and Jason, we're not giving up on them.  If they want children badly enough, and I think they do, then they'll have their family.  We just have to be patient.  Now let's join the festivities.  I wonder what our newest little member of the family will be named.  Do you think they'll let me name this one too?  I didn't do so badly with the first one almost thirty years ago."

 

 

 

Brian laughed out loud and hugged Justin even tighter.  His family was growing , and it was a good thing.  Just another happy memory to add to the long list of good things that had entered his life since the day Gus was born.  Hopefully there would be plenty more to come.

 

 

 

To be continued.............................