- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's time for Gus and Jason to announce the names of their newborn baby boys, and everyone is excited.  The happiness they feel is a beautiful thing, but there is a dark cloud hovering in the background, which will change everyone's lives without warning.

 

 

 

Although Brian and Justin’s home, by anyone’s standards, was considered quite large, there barely seemed to be enough room for all the folks who showed up for the naming party of Gus and Jason’s newborn twins.  Their original plan to include only family hadn’t worked out so well.  When word spread about the meeting to be held at Brian and Justin’s house, once the babies were released from the hospital, friends and co-workers simply acted as if there was an open invitation to the naming.  There were at least a dozen or more folks crowded in the main room than had been expected.  When Gus and Jason walked into the house, while pushing the twin stroller carrying their sons, closely followed by Heather, they weren’t unhappy to see the crowd.  They had been talking about nothing else but the coming births to anyone of their acquaintances and family who would listen for so long, that it warmed their hearts to see how much so many of them cared. 

 

 

 

The couple were super excited to reveal the names they had chosen for their boys.  At first, they had discussed using the names of their beloved fathers combined, but all three men had made it clear that they didn’t want that.  As Brian said so eloquently… “these boys are special and need a name that means something unique to them.”  After much consideration, and an entire night bouncing from one name to another, they had finally settled on names that were indeed unique.  As they explained to the eager crowd, when they prefaced their choices, ‘the names may sound new age, but they represent who the boys are to us, and to each other’.  The group waited with bated breath, until Gus finally spoke up.

 

 

 

“First let me explain our thinking on the matter.  Our boys are the most beloved gift that we could have ever hoped for.  We wanted their names to reflect that feeling, which their arrival has given us.  That’s when we began researching the words and finally hit on exactly what we wanted to convey with the naming.  So, let me introduce to you (he said, holding up his brown-haired baby) Amado Bruder Marcus/Peterson Tyler.  And this (turning to Jason, who was holding up the darker haired baby) is Regalo Bruder Marcus/Peterson Tyler.”

 

 

 

There were moments of silence as the crowd tried to digest the news.

 

 

 

“Very interesting names, but I think we’d like to know how you decided on them.  I don’t believe most of us have ever heard them before,” responded Brian.  Multiple heads nodded in agreement.

 

 

 

Jason answered.  “Trust me, we weren’t trying to be different, but nothing sounded right to us until we started looking up foreign words for what these beautiful boys have brought into our lives.  Amado is Spanish for ‘beloved’ and Regalo is Italian for ‘gift’.  Besides, we actually like the sound of the names.”

 

 

 

“But what about the middle names?  They sounded alike to me,” Jason’s mom wondered.

 

 

 

“Oh yes, Mom, that is Bruder and is German for brother.  They certainly are not identical twins, as anyone can see, but they will always be connected as brothers, with a special bond that hopefully no one will ever try to sever.”                 

 

 

 

Suddenly, the room was filled with sounds of approval.  Folks began moving forward, so that they could each get a closer look at the two tiny bundles being held so lovingly by their fathers.  Gus glanced over at Heather, standing in the corner, and thought he briefly saw a sad look in her eyes, but it vanished in an instant, and all he saw then was a cheerful smile. She gave them a thumbs up, then disappeared behind the growing crowd surrounding the boys.  Gus and Jason were so wrapped up in the avid enthusiasm of their friends and family, they didn’t notice Brian moving over to where Heather stood, with her back to the wall.

 

 

 

“You do know that all of us will never forget what you’ve done for our family, and if you ever need anything from any of us, you have only to ask,” he told her solemnly.

 

 

 

“I know.  I felt in my heart it was the right thing to do for so many reasons.  With Jason’s huge heart, I knew he was meant to be a father.  I’m just relieved that it worked out so well, so that he can be.  And Jason’s a good guy too.  I saw that soon after meeting him.”

 

 

 

Brian looked over at the boys, who had managed to separate themselves, with their sons, from the crowd.  Only Justin, Jason’s parents, and their sisters still stood with them, cooing and making funny faces at the infants, and laughing out loud when the babies reacted.  For a moment, Brian’s breath deserted him.  He felt his heart skip a beat.  The whole scenario was more than he could have ever imagined so many years ago, and it was beyond beautiful.  In that moment, he saw an image of himself running down a hospital corridor, with Justin and Michael close behind.  He saw himself flying into a hospital room and seeing Gus for the first time.  He knew exactly how that very same baby was feeling now, holding tight to one of his own sons.  At the time, Brian would never have considered giving a name to the feeling he was experiencing when seeing little Gus for the first time, but he knew in his heart that it was love.

 

 

 

“I know that you are right, Heather.  It didn’t take Justin and I any time at all to realize that Jason was the right man for our boy, Gus.  They fit together in the same way that Justin and I do.  And I suspect they will be even better parents that we have been.  I don’t want you to ever forget that you are welcome to come and visit whenever you are up this way.  Our door will always be open to you, and of course, the same goes for your family.  I know that the boys have often told us how much they wish it had worked out that they could have meet your husband and son.  Maybe we will get the chance to make a trip in your direction one of these days.  If so, we could stop in and personally offer our thanks to your family for all their support  I’m sure Gus and Jason will be too busy to travel for a little while, but you never know when either Justin or I have business to attend to in your part of the woods.”

 

 

 

Heather’s voice sounded slightly choked.  “I’d like that.  I wish I could tell you how much I appreciate all the kindness that you and your husband have shown me, and the wonderful support you’ve given me… and of course Gus and Jason.  I’m not sure everything would have worked out so well if you two hadn’t been there for me… for us.”

 

 

 

“Well, enough with the mushy stuff.  I think it is time that I see how many funny faces I can bestow on my new grandsons.  Will you join me?”

 

 

 

“In a moment,” she responded.

 

 

 

Brian started to walk away when he heard his name.  He turned back to Heather.  She appeared about to say something.

 

 

 

“Yes?” He asked.

 

 

 

A moment’s hesitation, and then… “oh, nothing.  I was just thinking of how lucky you all are to have each other and more than enough love for everyone, including someone like me.”

 

 

 

Brian smiled.  “Lucky, indeed!”

 

 

 

With that, Brian rejoined his family.  Heather looked on, as the group continued to discuss the happy future the two newborns would bring to them all, especially their fathers.  If anyone had been paying attention to her, they might have noticed that same wistful, almost sad, look in her eyes.  But once again, it disappeared as quickly as it came.  Finally, the house began clearing out and the last non-family guest had left.  One by one, even the family started trickling away, but not before having one last approving look at the twins, along with praising Gus and Jason for their choices of names.  The last to leave were Gus and Jason, with Amado and Regalo.  As the couple walked out onto the front steps, Brian and Justin joined them to say goodbye.  Justin leaned down to give one final kiss goodnight to his newest grandchild.  Brian did the same, quietly whispering to Amado… “sleep tight, AB.  Granddad loves you.”  Then to little Regalo… “sleep tight RB.  Granddad loves you too.”  Then he and Justin waved as their boys walked off to their car.  Apparently, Justin overheard Brian.

 

 

 

“AB… RB?”

 

 

 

Brian just grinned.

 

 

 

**************************************************

 

 

 

The following days seemed to fly by.  Gus and Jason made regular visits to Brian and Justin’s house, collecting mother’s milk that Heather produced for them.  They always brought the babies with them, unwilling to allow anyone else to take care of them just yet.  It thrilled them to see how attached both Brian and Justin had become to their new grandsons.  Even Brian acted like a silly grandpa, making faces at the boys and cooing sounds that surprised the couple.  They knew that Brian adored Melody Linn, JR’s baby girl, and certainly considered her as a grandchild too, but no one had seen him act as silly with her as he was with the twins.  Justin was a different story.  He showed the same grandfatherly affection with the twins as he did with Melody Linn.  Gus and Jason knew he was meant to be a grandfather, just as he was born to be a father.

 

 

 

Neither Gus nor Jason would admit, even to each other, that they were glad that Heather would be returning home very shortly.  Her doctor had given her the go-ahead to travel that very day.  Neither of them quite knew why they felt this way, because she had done nothing out of the ordinary, such as being clingy with the babies when she saw them.  Perhaps, they told themselves, that it was simply a territorial thing… that they would be relieved when her connection to the boys was out of the picture.  Whatever it was, they looked forward to the day she left for California. 

 

 

 

Three days later, Heather announced that she had made plane reservations for the next morning and would be returning home.  Brian and Justin assured her she could stay if she needed to, but were secretly glad she was leaving too.  They had sorely missed having the entire house all to themselves, even though she had been little trouble for them.  For the most part, Heather had stayed in her room, even eating many of her meals at the desk in her bedroom.  She told them that she enjoyed her alone time, so that she could chat with her son and husband on her computer whenever she felt the need to connect.  The house was well built, and so one could not really hear what was going on in another room once a door was closed.  However, there were occasions when one of them heard her voice, even without making out what was being said.  Of course, they respected her privacy, so the fact that she was such a loner didn’t cause any conflict.  But even so, both men felt it was time for her to get on with her own life, and leave Gus and Jason to theirs.

 

 

 

When Heather called Gus to let him know of her plans for the next day, she asked if she could come over to see the boys one last time and say goodbye.  Without hesitation, Gus agreed, then suggested she come for dinner in order for them to prepare her a special meal as their final show of gratitude before she left.  When she told him that her plane was scheduled to leave extremely early in the morning, he suggested she stay over after dinner and leave from their place, which was much closer to the airport than Brian and Justin’s house.  He knew that Jason would have no problem with the invite.  Jason was just as grateful to Heather as he was.  Once the hour was agreed upon, Heather hung up.  An ironic smile crossed her lips.  This was working even better than she had hoped.  All she needed to do now was implement her plan.  For almost ten months, she had waited for this day.  She knew that there was every chance the whole thing would blow up in her face, but the risk would be worth it.  She had to try and succeed.  Her entire future family depended upon it.

 

 

 

**********************************************

 

 

 

Heather arrived at Gus and Jason’s house right on schedule.  After checking on the twins, the three of them settled in for a pleasant chat while waiting for dinner to be ready.  After a satisfying meal, followed by a bit more conversation concerning everyone’s plans for the future, Heather reminded the couple that she had to rise very, very early in the morning to get to the airport in plenty of time.  When Gus offered to drive her to the airport, she begged off.  “I’ve already scheduled an Uber ride for the trip to the airport,” she told them.  With one last hug, the three parted ways.  Heather made herself comfortable in the guest room, although she had no intention of falling asleep.  She was far too filled with anxiety to relax.  She waited for a short time before turning off the room light, knowing that Gus and Jason would believe she had taken to her bed.  She waited… waited… waited, her anxiety growing with each passing minute.

 

 

 

It seemed like many hours, although it wasn’t more than an hour or so, before she heard the door close to the couple’s bedroom across the hall from hers.  But, the waiting continued.  She had enough experience to know that the night was far from over for the new parents.  She was right.  A little more than an hour later, she heard the noise of crying coming from the nursery next to her room.  As expected, she then heard the bedroom door opening across the hall.  She could picture the couple rushing to comfort their hungry sons with freshly warmed up bottles.  Some time passed before she finally heard the door close again to the bedroom across the hall.  The babies obviously had fallen back to sleep with full tummies, and would not produce more crying over the baby monitor in the couple’s room for at least another couple of hours or more.  Heather, however, didn’t want to let her anxiety cause a rush to movement.  She had waited this long, she could wait a bit longer.

 

 

 

A half hour later, Heather knew the time had come.  Her plan was ready to be set in motion.  With great stealth, she left her room and made her way to the nursery.  Praying as hard as she had ever done in her life, she went to the crib that held a sleeping Regalo.  She leaned down and gave him a gentle kiss on his forehead.  The baby boy twitched, but stayed firmly asleep.  She next went to the crib that held Amado.  She reached down and gathered the sleeping baby into her arms.  Wrapping him tightly in his blanket, she gathered him close to her chest.  Before leaving the room, she placed a previously written note in the center of the empty crib.  Then, with the baby nestled in her arms, she quietly made her way to the front door, where her purse and single suitcase waited for her.  As she walked out the door, she looked back inside.  A tear rolled down her cheek.

 

 

 

“I’m so sorry, Gus, but I know you’ll understand when you read my note.  I just pray you’ll forgive me someday, especially now that I have given you a son too.  You know that our son will be safe with me.  And I promise to always tell him what a wonderful father he had, and that you loved him with all your heart.”

 

 

 

With that, she closed the door behind her.  She hurried down to the street, where a car, which she had rented the day before, waited for her.  Inside the car was all the baby supplies she had bought on her final shopping trip on the same day.  She placed Amado into the car seat she had also bought, surprised that the baby still slept so peacefully.  Moments later, she drove off into the night, finally feeling her body relax for the first time all day.  Her plan had gone off without a hitch.  Now, all she could do was pray that her good luck continued to hold. 

 

 

 

To be continued……….