- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Through a series of unfortunate incidents Brian and Justin are hospitalized.

Title: Shiner…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 3217
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Abuse, Passion, and Love…
Beta Queen: Bigj52


Summary: Brian and Justin find themselves in the hospital trying to explain that things aren’t, as they seem.


Chapter Summary: Through a series of unfortunate incidents Brian and Justin are hospitalized.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…


Shiner…


Chapter One ~ How Did We Get Here?

Brian’s POV
The hardest thing I’ve ever done was to watch him walk away from me. I planned it out. I pushed him away. Then finally over the edge. But when I saw the look in his eyes, and his heart breaking, all I wanted to do was run after him. But it was for his own good. He deserved someone better than me. Someone his own age. Someone who could be what he wanted and what he thought he needed.

I didn’t think it would hurt this much. I didn’t think I was in love. I never wanted to fall in love with him. But, he peeled away all my layers of defense, and left me feeling vulnerable. I tell myself that this feeling of dread is just temporary. I’ll be back to my old, arrogant, self-centered ways in no time. At least that’s what I thought, until I saw him this afternoon. He’s a stubborn little shit and wouldn’t listen to reason. I can still hear our conversation echoing through my head.

“Brian! We’re Not Together Anymore!”

“Tell me what’s going on!”

“Nothing!”

“Bullshit! Have you looked in the mirror?”

“I don’t want to talk about it!”

“That’s one hell of a shiner you’ve got there!”

“Just let me go!”

“I did that already, and look what you’ve become!”

“Brian, please! Please. It’s just better this way.”

“I don’t think so!”

“I made my choice. Now I have to live with it!”

“What the fuck does that mean? Is that what he told you? You have a right to change your mind, you know.”

“You don’t understand.”

“Try me.”

“He loves me!”

“He’s not the only one.”

Justin’s speechless, he’s not sure he heard Brian correctly.

“Justin! That’s not love. That’s hate.”

“I owe it to Ethan to try and make this work.”

“You don’t owe him anything. Trust me, he won’t change.”

“He’s under a lot of stress.”

“That’s no excuse for him hitting you!”

“He didn’t! I… I ran into the door frame.”

“Stop Lying To Me!”

“Brian. This doesn’t concern you. Please, just let it go.”

“No! Never! Don’t you know you’re worth so much more? You deserve so much more.”

“I have to go.”

“Justin. Don’t go back to him. It will only get worse. Trust me, I know!”

“I don’t have anywhere else to go.”

“You can stay at the loft.”

“No!”

“Why not?”

“I just can’t.”

“Why?”

“I just don’t think it’s a good idea. Besides, he promised it won’t happen again.”

Forget Justin getting 1500 on his SATs. He sure is a stupid little shit!

Justin’s actions this afternoon only confirm my worst fears. He’d rather stay with someone who beats him than come back to me. I lift the bottle of Beam to my lips and realize it’s empty, which is strange, because I don’t feel that drunk. Maybe my tolerance for alcohol has reached a new level. I lean my head back against the sofa and close my eyes. I still can’t get the image of him walking away from me once again, out of my head.

Justin’s POV
I’m standing in the pouring rain, shivering under the entrance way to the old brick building I used to call home. I’m hesitant to use my key to go in, even if he did say I could stay with him. It’s late, and the idea of walking in on him with a trick isn’t something I think I can stomach right now. It’s only been a few weeks since I left, and I wish I could take it all back. Why couldn’t I see that I was throwing away the only man that I ever truly loved, for a man who only cares about himself? Even though Ethan promised he loved me and cherished me, it was all lies and empty promises. All he wanted was someone to cook, clean and provide him with a paycheck, so he could cut back on his street performances and hone his talent.

I was so stupid to not admit to Brian that he was right. That it wasn’t a one-time thing; that it started almost immediately. But I bought all of Ethan’s excuses, as he justified his jealousy when he’d see Brian in the diner, or walking down Liberty Avenue. Of course Brian’s right. What I have with Ethan isn’t love, it really is hate. The night’s sky lights up with a flash, and then the sound of thunder booms and shudders the ground. It makes me jump, setting off a slight panic attack. Needing to feel safe, I fumble to get the key in the lock. I climb the stairs two at a time, and then I just stand there in the dark, staring at the door, afraid of what lies behind it.

Brian’s POV
I’m jolted awake to the sound of thunder, and a minute later by the loft door being pulled open, then shut. Glancing at the clock it’s 2:57 am. I can’t help smiling to see him sneaking in. I wonder if he sees me in the dark. I’m laying on the sofa watching his every move. He tip toes over to the bottom of the stairs and looks at the bed. I wonder if he’s relieved that I’m not there with someone else, or worried that I’m not there at all. He runs his hand through his hair, and then he sees the reflection of my whisky bottle in the moonlight.

Kneeling next to me, he takes the bottle from my hands and sets it on the coffee table. We look into each other’s eyes, reading each other’s emotions. Regret and sorrow, mixed with longing and desire. I reach out and touch his face, running my thumb under his eye. It’s swollen, and darker than before. A tear escapes, and runs down his face. I wipe it away with my fingertips, stroking his face.

“What the fuck? He hit you again?”

“Yeah…”

“Why?”

“I told him I ran into you outside of the diner this afternoon, and he flew into a rage.”

“Just because you talked to me?”

“Yeah. Then I laughed at him, after he told me that he wasn’t going to put up with all my bullshit the way you did.”

“He said I was a whore, and he wouldn’t tolerate me sneaking around with other guys. He said there would be rules, rules that had consequences.”

“I told him I wasn’t very good with rules, and that I made my own choices.”

“That’s when he lost it, and punched me in the eye again. I tried to get away but he grabbed me and threw me up against the wall, punching it so hard his hand went through the drywall.”

“It must have stung like a bitch, because he was holding it close to his body, rubbing it to relieve some of the pain. That’s when I escaped, running out of the door, and slamming it behind me. He screamed at me to get back in the apartment. But I was already out on the street before he finished his sentence.”

“Christ, Justin! How could you have been with such a bastard?”

“I was a fool. I didn’t really love him. I just wanted you to say you cared, to say you loved me.”

Justin looks at the floor, ashamed of himself and what’s happened.

“Justin. Look at me.”

He looks at Brian through wet eyelashes.

Brian whispers, “I care about you. Don’t you know that? I… I love you…”

“Even now? After I left you, and humiliated you in front of everyone.”

“Yes. I don’t care what anyone else thinks.”

Justin stares at him, knowing how much Brian’s ego and reputation means to him. But he sees the truth behind Brian’s words, and knows it’s true.

“Okay! Fine! I’ll admit it! I miss you, you little shit!”

“Really?”

“Yes, really, you silly twat.”

Justin sniffles, and Brian leans forward to kiss him. But in his drunken state he slips off the sofa, hitting his forehead on his designer coffee table.

“Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!”

He’s lying on the floor cradling the side of his face. Justin can see blood seeping through his fingers.

“Brian! Brian, you’re bleeding. Let me look at your cut.”

But Brian’s being stubborn, pulling away, as he tries to stand up. But he slips in a puddle of his own blood and falls. Smacking the back of his head on the corner of the coffee table, and then finally hitting his head on the hardwood floor.

“Brian! Brian! Oh my God! Brian!”

Justin shakes him, but soon realizes that he’s unconscious. Knowing Brian’s drunk, he quickly dials 911. Justin’s sitting on the floor, rocking him in his arms, crying and praying that Brian will be alright. The paramedics arrive in just a few minutes. Taking in the scene they assume it’s a lover’s quarrel. Brian’s eye is bleeding profusely, as Justin holds his shirt over it, applying pressure. They’re both covered in blood, and the EMS techs are sure it’s another case of jealous rage.

By the time they get to the hospital, Brian’s eye is swollen and has turned purple and black. Justin’s eye has also gotten darker, and without a shirt on you can now see all of the bruises Ethan inflicted on him. His stomach and side are turning purple where he hit the wall, as well as Ethan’s handprints on his arms, and around his neck. The hospital staff has separated them, even though Justin’s hysterical, demanding to stay with Brian. The doctor finally calms Justin down, promising that he can see Brian as soon as they’re both cleaned up and examined. But that wasn’t exactly true…

When the nurse slipped out of the room to get a kit to document the abuse, Justin notices a policeman standing outside his room. He didn’t think much of it at the time, but when she returns with a camera he becomes suspicious.

“I just need to document your injuries. If you could stand and hold your arms away from your body.”

“What? Why?”

“It’s the law. Now turn to your right and lift your arms over your head. Oh my, that is a nasty bruise.”

“Law? What do you mean?”

“Please turn around and face the wall, and lower your scrubs.”

“What?”

“Mr. Taylor. I know this isn’t pleasant. But Officer Strickland needs the photos for his files, so he can investigate your case of abuse.”

“Abuse? Against Ethan?”

“Ethan? I thought Mr. Kinney was your boyfriend.”

“He is.”

“And who is Ethan? What’s his last name?”

“Gold, it’s Ethan Gold.”

“And what’s your relationship to him?”

“He’s my boyfriend. I mean. I dated him a few times, but Brian is my boyfriend.”

“I see…”

“Please face forward. I need to get a close up of your neck area. Now Officer Strickland will be back in a few minutes to take your statement. I’m sure he’ll have more questions about your injuries, and both of your boyfriends.”

“Ethan isn’t my boyfriend, he never really was.”

“I’m sure Office Strickland will be glad to go over the details of your personal life.”

“I don’t want to talk to the police, or make a statement. I want to see Brian! I’m worried about him, and I need to see him!”

“Yes. I understand. It’s very common in these situations, but unfortunately it’s necessary that the hospital report and document all domestic abuse.”

“There is no domestic abuse.”

“Yes. I noticed this is the first time that you’ve actually sought medical attention for your injuries, but I think we both know this isn’t the first incident. Trust me, you’re doing the right thing. These types of situations can escalate quickly, especially considering that you’re involved with two lovers.”

“What? I… No, that… This isn’t that!”

“Don’t worry, you’re in good hands now.”

“No! No, you’ve misinterpreted the situation. There’s no abuse! I need to see Brian! I’m worried about him.”

“It’s not uncommon for the victim to try and protect his assailant.”

Justin shakes his head; it’s now almost 5 am and he’s just too tired to fight with her. He sits on the examination table, dressed in scrubs, kicking his legs, thinking about how they got here…

Flashback to a month ago…

He had snuck back into the loft well after 3 am, but when he crawled into bed it was obvious that Brian was still awake. When he lay down, staring at the ceiling, Brian had covered him with the duvet. Both of their emotions were on high alert, yet neither of them said a word. Justin wasn’t sure, but he thought he saw a sheen in Brian’s eyes. He remembers wondering if he might actually have been crying that night. He should have said something, should have begged for forgiveness. He never meant for his cheating to go that far, he just wanted Brian to acknowledge they had a relationship.

He had an early shift at the diner the next morning, and left before Brian was even awake. He was exhausted, as he hadn’t slept much the night before. The customers were all demanding, and the cooks were behind on the breakfast orders, which was causing the patrons to be late for work. Justin was the one paying for it, making lousy tips. By the time he walked into Red Cape Comics his mood was dark, and his tongue was sharp. Seeing Brian there didn’t help matters, and then there were the reporters from the newspaper, wanting to interview them about the comic book, and the Rage release party that night. This was the last thing he wanted to do, so he lashed out at them, and stormed out of the comic book store.

He didn’t get back to the loft until almost 8 pm that night. After classes he stayed late, painting to catch up on his project. He quickly showered, and changed into his club clothes. His mood had improved and he was actually excited about tonight’s event, because, after all it was a party to celebrate his artwork. Moreover, it was the first time he was actually facing the bashing, which was a hard subject for him to confront. Brian had always struggled to talk to him about it, and he refused counseling, sure he didn’t need it. Everyone else avoided the topic, always unsure of what to say. In general it just made everyone uncomfortable. So maybe tonight might help everyone to understand what happened, or at least help him comprehend what he’d been evading for so long.

But that’s not what happened. When he arrived, Brian was busy making sure the performance went off without a hitch. As he watched his bashing play out in front of him, it was overwhelming. It was more than he could handle as all his dreaded fears came rushing back to him. He needed Brian, needed to feel secure in his arms, and he needed his meds as he felt an anxiety attack coming on. He fought his way through the crowd, all the time feeling like everything was closing in on him. But when he found Brian in the back room, fucking his alter ego, it was more than he could take. He was crushed, and it was then that he realized that he was nothing more than a convenient fuck, just like Michael had been telling him all along. He was sure that Brian didn’t love him, that he had never loved him. That the only reason they were together was because Brian felt guilty for what had happened to him.

Totally panicked he ran through the crowded dance floor, as his heart shattered. That’s when he ran into Ethan, who was the last person he expected to see at the Rage party. But it made sense. After all, he had bumped into Ethan when he was hanging the Rage posters. So he knew about the promotion, and when and where it was. That was when Michael saw them kissing, and immediately ran to Brian, squealing on him like the snitch that he is. Michael never gave him a chance to explain, nor did he get a chance to explain everything to Brian himself. Fucking Michael, always sticking his nose into his and Brian’s relationship.

He can’t believe how stupid he was to allow Michael to be part of the comic book. Now Michael is acting like it’s his comic, and he created it, swelling his ego and making him a total pompous bastard. Who the fuck did Michael think he was? Justin was the one who produced the graphics. It wasn’t fiction, it was his story to tell. His life, it happened to him. All Michael did was take what happened, and write simplistic words in the caption bubbles over the characters’ heads. Michael wasn’t the author. He was nothing but a glorified copywriter, rewriting an actual event that happened to him. The only reason he worked with Michael, was to help smooth over their friendship. He had hoped to stop Michael’s snide comments, and him continually undermining his and Brian’s relationship.

Ethan rushed towards him, seeing how upset he was and held him in his arms. Looking over Justin’s shoulder, he saw Brian across the room. That’s when he pulled Justin tighter, and gave him a passionate kiss. As the kiss broke, they both turned and looked directly at Brian. Ethan stared at Brian, smirking with a knowing smile, while Justin looked surprised, feeling caught, and sad at the realization that he had probably just lost the love of his life. Smugly Ethan took Justin’s hand in his to reinforce his claim, making sure Brian understood that he had won. Then they turned and walked out of Babylon hand-in- hand.

But they didn’t ride off into the sunset to live happily ever after. Justin was even more upset than he was upon seeing Brian. Seeing the hurt in Brian’s eyes, his heart was breaking even more than before, if that’s even possible. He had a headache, and hadn’t eaten since breakfast. They found a small hole-in-the wall restaurant far away from Liberty Avenue. Justin poured his heart out, needing someone to talk to. He wished it was Daphne who sat across from him, knowing that she always knew just what to say. She could always help put things in perspective for him. But it was Ethan, and he just sat there barely listening, growing angrier the more Justin talked about what he had with Brian.

Justin was broken hearted, while Ethan couldn’t be happier about the turn of events. The more Justin cried for what he had lost, the more impatient Ethan grew. He’d had enough, and he told Justin to get over it. That it was better this way, and now they could finally be a couple. He spouted all his pretty words about love again. He promised Justin commitment and devotion, and that he’d treat him better than Brian, telling Justin he deserved someone who only wanted to be with him. And now that Ethan had him, he would never let him go. Justin didn’t realize just how frightening those words would become. It only lasted a few hours, and then Ethan turned on him, showing his true colors.

 



TBC…