- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

As usual Michael can’t help himself from jumping to conclusions, and spreading rumors.

Title: Shiner…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 3899
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Passion and Love…
Beta Queen: Bigj52


Summary: Brian and Justin find themselves in the hospital trying to explain that things aren’t, as they seem.

Chapter Summary: As usual Michael can’t help himself from jumping to conclusions, and spreading rumors.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Chapter Three ~ Time for a Little Rest and Relaxation

“Debbie! I’m just doing my job, and I won’t have you interfering in a police investigation! You may bully your so-called boys, to get what you want with them. But I won’t tolerate being treated that way! If that means ending our relationship, so be it! I won’t be henpecked by anyone. Especially someone who is supposed to love me!”

With that Carl turns and walks back into the hospital to talk with Ted, and check on Brian and Justin.

~~~

Ethan’s been pressing the call button for the nurse’s station for the last half hour.

“What is it now, Mr. Gold?”

“It’s my hand, the pain is unbearable. Why does it hurt so much?”

“The morphine given to you during surgery has worn off, and now you’re on Percocet. It’s not as strong, and you’ll still have residual pain as your hand heals.”

“For how long? I’m scheduled to participate in an international violin competition.”

The nurse looks at him sympathetically. “You’ll have to talk with the doctor about your prognosis.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean? Where are you going? Aren’t you going to give me any medication? Come back here!”

Carl passes the nurse as he enters Ethan’s room.

“Ethan Gold?”

“Yes.”

“I’m Detective Lieutenant Carl Horvath with The Pittsburgh Police Department. I’d like to ask you a few questions.”

“I already talked with the other officer.”

“Yes. I was just going over your statement.”

“I thought Justin was here? Why isn’t he here with me? I have a long list of things he needs to get done.”

“I don’t believe Mr. Taylor will be visiting you any time soon.”

“Why the hell not?”

“It is my impression that the brief relationship you two had, is now over.”

“The fuck it is! Get him for me, now!”

“As I was saying, upon reviewing Officer Strickland’s report, it says that you assaulted Mr. Taylor, punching him in the eyes, sides, and stomach. You threw him up against the wall, and choked him, leaving handprints around his neck, as well as multiple bruises covering his body.”

“What! That’s an exaggeration! I barely touched him!”

“This wasn’t the first time you hit him during an argument, is it?”

“Couples argue! But I’ve never hurt him. I just needed to make sure he understood that I wouldn’t tolerate his disobedience.”

“Thank you. That confirms Officer Strickland’s report. You’ll be transferred to the medical care unit of the Allegheny prison system later this afternoon. Then you’ll appear in front of a judge and officially be charged with assault and battery, and domestic violence.”

“What the fuck?”

“Ethan Gold, you’re under arrest. You have the right to remain silent; anything you say may and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Do you have any questions concerning your rights?”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Which part of assault, battery and domestic violence didn’t you understand?”

“This can’t be happening!”

Carl leaves so Dr. Evans can talk with Ethan.

“Doctor. What’s going on? The nurse said you operated on my hand. Is it going to be okay?”

“Yes. The operation was a success, and with time and occupational therapy you should regain use of your hand. Of course, it will all depend on how much effort you put into your hand exercises, as to how much you regain use of your hand.”

“What do you mean, regain? I’m a violinist! I need the use of my hands to play music! I’m going to famous one day!”

“Well… That is a wonderful goal, but it’s unlikely to happen. Right now you’re not even able to feed yourself. The bones in your hand were broken. Focusing on being able to hold a fork at this point should be your main goal.”

“This can’t be happening!”

“It is my understanding that you punched a hole in the wall of your apartment. Your hand hit the stud, shattering all your bones.”

“This is all Justin’s fault! He made me do it!”

~~~

Carl finds Ted and they go to the little café across the street, both having missed breakfast and lunch. They talk about Brian and Justin’s injuries, and what’s happened at the loft. Once it is determined that it was just an accident, Ted makes arrangements to have Brian’s loft professionally cleaned. The last thing he wants, is for Brian and Justin to return home to the bloody scene from the accident.

Meanwhile, Michael has gone to Brian’s loft under the guise of getting him some clothes. He wasn’t allowed in by the police, because they were still investigating the incident as a crime. From what little Michael could see, it looked like someone tried to murder Brian, and that’s the story Michael ran with. Knowing that Justin was also in the hospital, Michael is sure that Justin is to blame. Convinced that Justin will be charged with murder, he can’t help himself from spreading the news around Liberty Avenue.

He charges into the diner, shouting to his mother that the police are at Brian’s loft, and they’ve declared it a crime scene. All heads turn upon hearing the news. Michael tells everyone that Justin tried to kill Brian in a fit of rage. The rumors of Brian and Justin are spreading like wildfire on the Avenue, even though there isn’t a word of truth in them.

On Ted’s way back into the hospital he is accosted by a very angry Deb, Michael and Emmett. Okay, Emmett wasn’t angry, just very worried and concerned.

“Ted! Why haven’t you demanded that Michael and I be allowed to see Brian? He needs us, we’re his family!”

“Deb, I’ve already explained this to you. You’re just going to have to wait until Brian’s released from the hospital to visit him.”

“What’s going on? Has Justin been arrested?”

“Arrested? What are you talking about?”

“I went to Brian’s loft, and the police were there. The place was covered in blood. I just know it’s Justin’s fault!”

“As usual, you’re full of misinformation, Michael! ”

“I don’t think so!”

“Michael. You always jump to the wrong conclusions. Try getting the facts before you start making accusations.”

“Well, no one would tell me what was going on! How would I know what’s happened?”

“You don’t need to know anything, until you’re told! It’s not your place to know what’s going on, and before you say ‘I’m Brian’s best friend, I have a right to know.’ You don’t! You’re not Brian’s POA, you’re not his boyfriend, and if you’re not careful you just might not be his best friend much longer!”

“This is total bullshit! Don’t you walk away from me! Ted! Ted, I’m talking to you!”

Michael’s still screaming as Emmett runs to catch up with Teddy. For once Michael and Deb stay put, knowing that they won’t be allowed into the hospital after Carl’s warning.

~~~

Ethan wakes to the sound of his mother’s voice. “Ethan, what is going on? The hospital called and said that you broke your hand.”

Ethan just stares at his parents, totally freaked out that they’re at the hospital.

“We went to your apartment to get you some pajamas and toiletries. The police were there, and they said it was a crime scene. They wouldn’t let us in, or tell us what’s happened.”

“It’s a crime scene? God, I can’t believe this is happening.”

“Ethan. Is this about your temper? You know your doctor recommended that you go to anger management classes. You did go, didn’t you?”

“Ethan! Your mother’s talking to you!”

“I… I was going to, but I felt I needed to practice my violin more.”

“The apartment manager talked with us, and he said that you’re three months behind on your rent. He said you promised to pay it yesterday, but you never did. You’ve being evicted, and we have to pack up all your things, once the crime scene is released. Otherwise he’s going to throw everything in the trash.”

“I can’t believe this is happening to me! Justin should have paid the rent! He needs to pay the rent! This is all his fault!”

“Who is Justin? Please tell me you’re not involved in another homosexual affair. Ethan, you know your father and I will not tolerate your deviant behavior!”

“You promised that you’d never have sex with men again! Is it true? This is unacceptable!”

He just looks at them with his mouth open, unable to say anything.

Ethan’s father screams, “Answer me! You disgust me! We warned you! You’re no longer our son! You deserve to burn in hell!”

It was eerily silent, after his parents left. He was seeing his whole life crumble and disappear before his eyes.

~~~

Jennifer is sitting with Justin, trying to be supportive as they wait for Brian’s return. She knows how frightening it is to not know what’s going on, as she reflects on her time after Justin’s bashing.

“Justin, you need to relax. I’m sure everything is going to be fine. His injuries can’t be anywhere near as bad as when you were bashed.”

As soon as she hears the words come out of her mouth, she knows she shouldn’t have said that. Justin is now panicking, remembering how much he struggled after the bashing. She tries to think of something positive to say, but she has no idea how bad Brian’s injuries are. She holds his hand as tears well up in his eyes.

“I’m so scared. What if Brian’s injuries cause serious brain damage? There was so much blood. He was unconscious. There was nothing I could do. I just held him, praying that the ambulance would get there soon.”

“You did everything you could do. You need to stop blaming yourself. I’m sure Brian’s going to be fine. After all, Ted said that he had regained consciousness, and was talking to the doctor before he was taken for his MRI and CT scan.”

“You don’t know! You can’t know that!”

“Calm down. Getting yourself this upset isn’t helping.”

“How can I calm down? What if I lose him? I love him! I love him more than anything in my life! We were just getting back together. There are so many things I needed to tell him. So many things I wanted to apologize to him for. What if I never get that chance?”

“Oh Justin. I’m sure that Brian knows that you love him. It’s so obvious to anyone who knows you two, that you’re hopelessly in love with each other.”

“I never thought I’d hear you say that.”

“Honey. My opinion of Brian has changed greatly over the last year. I know I wasn’t always so supportive of your relationship. But I can now see that you two share something very special, something that most couples never have.”

“Well then, why didn’t you say something? Why didn’t you tell me I was making a huge mistake, leaving him for Ethan?”

“It wasn’t my place to tell you. It was something you needed to figure out on your own. You and Brian were struggling, and you two were the only ones who could fix what was breaking. You wouldn’t have been able to see it, and you would have resented anyone trying to tell you.”

“Yeah. I guess so. We’re both pretty stubborn sometimes.”

The nurse comes in. “Your MRI came back fine, but the doctor wants to keep you for observation for the next twenty-four hours. Mr. Kinney is finished with his tests, and you’ll be able to see him soon.”

“So, he’s going to be alright? Will he be here on the same floor as me?”

“The doctor will be in to talk with you soon. In the meantime, we’ll be bringing in a second bed. So yes, Mr. Kinney will not only be on the same floor as you, he’ll be right here in the bed next to yours.”

“Really? Oh God, that’s great!”

“So you don’t need to be so worried, and try not to be too excited when you talk with the doctor. He might have reservations, if he thinks Mr. Kinney won’t be able to have a peaceful recovery.”

“I’ll calm down. I won’t disrupt Brian’s recovery. I’m pretty sure he’ll recover faster knowing I’m right here with him.”

The nurse just smiles, and Jennifer mouths ‘thank you’ to her as she leaves. But before she’s completely out the door she turns and says, “It’s so great to know that two of you are still together. I remember how he used to sit for hours watching over you in the middle of the night. But I should have known that if you two could survive that, you can survive anything.”

Then she was gone.

“Mom! What was she talking about? Did you know about that? Why didn’t anyone tell me?”

“Justin, it’s not what you think. I didn’t find out about it until a few days before you were released.”

“And you didn’t tell me? Why? When you knew how much I needed him?”

“I was still angry with him. I still blamed him.”

“The question was why didn’t you tell me?”

“I was trying to protect you. I now know that was wrong.”

“Do you understand that if I had known, so many things would have been different between me and Brian? I needed to know he loved me! You know how hard it is for him to express his emotions! Yet you stayed silent when I walked out on him, because I didn’t think he loved me!”

“I’m sorry, Justin. I really am. I guess I thought that maybe you needed to see what it was like to date other men.”

“God! I am so angry with you right now!”

“I’m sorry. I know now that it was wrong. I should have told you. Please forgive me. You don’t understand what it’s like to be a parent; you’ll do anything to protect your children.”

“I’m not a child! I don’t understand. You just said it was obvious how much we loved each other?”

“I’m still evolving, Justin. You were so unhappy before you left with Ethan, and I couldn’t change how things were. I could only hope that your love for Brian would bring you back to him.”

“Do you know how fucked up all of this is?”

“I was just trying to be supportive of your choices.”

Justin lays down on the bed and puts the pillow over his face, his emotions all over the place.


~~~

Officer Strickland and two prison guards enter Ethan’s room. They instruct him to change into the standard orange jumpsuit, and he’s taken into custody. On his way to the Allegheny County prison, he passes Ted and Emmett in the hallway.

Once in Justin’s room, Emmett wants all the juicy details of how he and Brian reconnected. He holds onto every word, as Justin tells him about Brian insisting that he stay at the loft. And how worried he was about Justin’s safety, finally confessing that he missed him. Jennifer’s phone rings, so she steps out into the hall to answer it.

“Hello.”

“Jennifer, its Debbie. I’ve been so worried about you. How is Justin handling everything? Have the police questioned him?”

“Justin’s doing fine. His only injuries are the bruises, and the black eye he received during the fight.”

“So he’s faring better than Brian? That’s surprising, considering Brian’s so much stronger than him. Was he cut? I know it’s not unusual for the aggressor not to get cut during a knife fight.”

“What are you talking about, Debbie?”

“You know the loft is now a crime scene? There’s police tape around the building, and they’re not letting anyone into Brian’s loft. According to Michael, there was blood everywhere.”

“I guess that’s to be expected. They’ll need to investigate the accident.”

“I hardly consider it an accident, Jennifer! You know I love Justin, as if he was my own son. But when it comes to choosing between Brian and Justin, you have to know that I’ll always take Brian’s side.”

“Brian’s side? Don’t you mean Michael’s side?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about?”

“Yes, that’s becoming more evident the longer this conversation goes on.”

“Listen, Jennifer! I’m just trying to be a supportive friend! I’d think you’d need one right about now, considering that Justin’s going to be charged with attempted murder!”

Jennifer burst out laughing. “I’m sorry, Deb, but I can’t help laughing. That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. I’m guessing that’s something Michael told you? Because we all know Michael has an over-active imagination. Let alone, he’d like nothing better than for my son to be arrested, and removed from Brian’s life!”

“How dare you talk about Michael that way? He’s Brian’s best friend, and he’ll always look out for him.”

“Best friend! Right! We both know he’d like to be more than Brian’s best friend; he’s foolishly in love with Brian! But we both know Brian doesn’t love him, not the way he loves my son!”

“You think Brian’s in love with Justin? Brian’s a selfish, self-centered bastard who will never love anyone but himself! Well, except Michael, of course! They’re meant to be together!”

“Of course! Okay. I’m going to hang up now. Hopefully you’ll return to reality soon, and stop believing all these lies that your son is spreading.”

“Wait! Jennifer, don’t hang up!”

“What is it, Debbie? This conversation is getting tedious.”

“Do you know how Brian is doing? How badly was he stabbed? Is he out of surgery? Is he going to be okay?”

“You’ll have to ask his doctor. Oh, that’s right, neither you or Michael are his POA. Good bye, Debbie.”

Jennifer stands aside, as they wheel Brian into the hospital room. Emmett and Ted are sitting next to Justin’s bed, as they watch Brian getting settled. The nurses hook up the machine to monitor Brian’s condition, and check his IV. As soon as they leave the room, Justin pulls back the curtain separating them.

Brian smiles up at Justin. “Hey, Sunshine! I was so worried about you.”

“Oh, Brian! I’m so glad you’re going to be alright. I’ve been waiting hours to see you. They wouldn’t let me stay with you in the emergency room. At first they thought we had a fight, but once I told them about Ethan they understood the situation better.”

“Come here. I need you close to me.”

Justin crawls up into bed with Brian, snuggling into his side.

“Justin. Do you really think that’s a good idea?”

“Mom. Do you know how long it’s been since we’ve been able to hold each other?”

Jennifer blushes, and makes an excuse about getting everyone coffee from the cafeteria.

~~~

Meanwhile back on the Avenue, Michael’s now at Woody’s, spouting misinformation about Brian. He’s exaggerating the point that Justin stabbed Brian, just missing his heart. Now there’s a manhunt out for Justin to be charged with attempted murder. Everyone’s listening to him, as Michael’s filled with glee at being the center of attention. His imagination is running wild as his lies grow larger.

“Oh, for crying out loud! You are so full of shit!”

“I’m Brian’s best friend! Who would know better than me?”

“If you’re his best friend, than why are you banned from entering the hospital, and seeing him?”

“How would you know about that?”

“I hear rumors. I’m the ER nurse who first evaluated Brian’s condition, and he wasn’t stabbed! He hit his head!”

All the guys at the bar look at Michael. They may love hearing all the juicy gossip, but they hate being lied to.

The bartender says, “Christ, Novotny! I should have known you’d say anything just to get attention, and try and maintain your ‘I’m Brian’s best friend image!’”

The bear at the end of the bar says, “Yeah! And to go so far as to accuse sweet Justin of trying to murder his man!”

“Brian’s not his man! And you don’t know anything! Justin tried to murder him! Maybe he wasn’t stabbed, but he was injured!”

Another patron shouts, “This is so typical of you to mouth off, just to be the center of attention!"

“I’m just worried about Brian!”

“Then why aren’t you at the hospital? Oh, that’s right, you made a big scene, and got banned from the hospital!”

“No! Wait! I can explain!”

Everyone turns away from Michael, going back to their previous conversations, leaving him looking like a fool and a liar. Michael runs out of the bar, feeling embarrassed and humiliated, thinking this is all Justin’s fault.

~~~

Jennifer returns with coffees just as the doctor comes in. Justin is curled up next to Brian, sleeping with his head on Brian’s stomach. Brian’s talking quietly, giving Ted and Emmett his version of their reunification. Emmett thinks this is the first time he’s ever seen Brian smile. It’s so obvious that Brian’s never felt this happy before, or at least he’s never let it show.

“Brian, I’m glad you’re awake. I have your test results.”

“We’ll step out, and give you some privacy.”

“Nonsense, Jennifer. I don’t think he’s going to say anything dire, so please stay.”

“You’re right. You don’t have any serious injuries to your head. Just a large hematoma, so you’ll have to take it easy and give it time to heal.”

“So we can go home now?”

“No, I’d like you to stay overnight for observation.”

“Doc! Do you really think that’s necessary? I mean, we really just need lots of rest and relaxation.”

“Well, you’ve both received head injuries. I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to be alone. You‘ll need someone to look after you, in case you experience confusion or black out.”

Emmett is about to offer to stay with Brian and Justin at the loft, when Jennifer suggests they stay with her for a few days. The doctor agrees that they can be released the following day. They’re now holed up in Justin’s old bedroom, and Molly’s having a blast playing nursemaid. Jennifer checks on them often, making sure they’re taking their medication, eating, and get plenty of rest. They mostly slept the first forty-eight hours, and now they’re feeling much better, even frisky. Both of them are more than ready to return to the loft.

Jennifer’s taking Molly to a friend’s birthday party, so she tells the boys she’ll be back in an hour or so.

“Molly, hurry up! You’re going to be late!”

“Finally, she comes down the stairs dressed in a pretty pink ruffled dress, wearing her old beat-up tennis shoes.”

“Molly! You can’t wear those shoes! Put on your black patent leather shoes!”

She goes back upstairs and digs through her closet, unable to find both shoes. She stomps back downstairs in tears.

“I can’t find my other shoe!”

“Okay, fine, let’s go. We’ll stop and buy you a new pair of shoes on the way.”

“Mom! I think we should check on Brian and Justin once more before we go. They were making loud moaning noises when I passed their bedroom.”

Jennifer’s face scrunches up, as she grabs Molly’s arm, pulling her out the door.

“Don’t worry. I think they’re feeling just fine.”

 



The End

The End.
7Wildwaysup is the author of 89 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Shiner… also liked 222 other stories.