- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I, Nichelle Wellesly, am in no way affiliated with any of the franchises represented here, including QAF and other well known brands. No copyright infringement is intended. The ORIGINAL characters, storyline, plot, places, etc. are the intellectual property of this author and are not to be used/ duplicated without the author's express permission.

 

So this is a continuation of Faded Pictures. Although it can be read as a standalone, it is advised that you read the series as a whole thus far. The same rules in terms of character development applies in this work as with the others. There is no anti-character warning because I intend to grow them into people that can be somewhat tolerated if not entirely liked. However, in order to do that, a certain latitude on my part needs to be given.

This means that as a rule, I really can't stand Michael and am ambivalent about Lindsay at best, and I stay true to that. So with the current life-stage they're in, they are going to be the same mean, spiteful and sneaky people they have always been to me. However, I will work hard at throwing them into situations where they are held accountable for their actions, and therefore have no choice but to grow as people. Ironically, it's how each of us have developed into the human beings we are as well. My goal has always been to write the characters as human as possible and this is me honoring that.

So that said, I hope that you all enjoy this continuous foray into the minds and motives of Michael and Lindsay. And not to worry... there will be some other prevalent storylines for other characters as well, since there is another installment after this one. But growing Lindsay and Michael into people who actually take other's feelings into consideration before they act is DEFINITELY stretching my writing chops.

HAPPY READING and HUGS,

~Nichelle 

P.S. I'll add tags along the way, so be on the look out for any additions. 

Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Short but informative, with a little recap from the last installment. ENJOY!! 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 1- IT’S A CRUEL SUMMER

 

“Say one more fucking word about my HUSBAND, Michael, and I promise you that you’ll be shitting your teeth for the next fifty years!”


There was a collective gasp and entire Diner grew even more impossibly quiet than it was when we first walked in to see Daphne and Lindsay locked in a heated argument. I surreptitiously look around to the faces, both known and unknown, looking back at me, before they land on the one that matters to me the most. Justin just smiles and comes into my raised arm, pressing himself close to me. My heart is beating so fast that it feels as if it’s going to come out of my chest and run its own marathon. But looking down into Justin’s cerulean blue eyes, let’s me know that this is the right thing to do. That he and I… everything about US is right.


And it’s with that realization that all hell breaks loose into chaos around us with everyone talking all at once. But it’s the seven different screeches which catch my ears, even as Justin gives me the brightest smile I’ve ever seen him bestow, while Jennifer just stands there looking so proud of both of us.


“HUSBAND?!” Melanie, Deb, Michael, Lindsay, Daphne, Emmett, and Anthony all gasp.


“That’s right, people. Brian Kinney has been officially blinded by the Supernova named Justin Taylor… KINNEY.


“Congratulations, Brian and Justin. I want to hear all about how this monumental miracle happened, but first we have a job to do…” Duane says, even as he moves past us with an officer in tow. “Officer Talbert, I’d like Lindsay Peterson arrested for Child Abuse, Child Endangerment, Assault, and Neglect. I'm pretty sure there will be more charges, but those are the ones from the Department of Child and Family Services.”


“WHAT?!” Deb and Michael screech at the same time.


“What the fuck did Lindsay do?!” Debbie asks, while Michael makes one of the biggest mistakes of his life by stepping up to Justin.

 

“What the fuck have to you done to Brian, you little shit?! This is all your fault! I should have stuck to my first plan to have you kidnapped and…”


A hard slap on both sides of his face silenced Michael, but it was the busted nose that had to have hurt the worst. I can’t help but laugh as it seems that three of the women in Justin’s life all took offense at the same time. Deb and Jenn are shaking their hands out from each delivering a slap so hard that Heaven must have trembled upon contact, but it’s the murderous look and bloodied knuckles that catches everyone else’s attention. Justin’s avenging angel steps forward again, only to be pulled back into Emmett before she could strike again.


“And that’s for calling me a bitch. Do you want to know what you deserve for even thinking to have my best friend kidnapped?”


Needless to say Daphne had to be carried OUT of the Diner…

 

JENNIFER:

 

Well they sure did let the cat out of the bag a la Taylor-Kinney style. I look down into the stunned faces of Charles, Tatum, and my mother, but strangely, I don’t see anger. Only a small bit of disappointment. I think I can relate to that a little bit. Although Justin is not the only grandchild in the case of either of them, he is the eldest, and as such we were all looking forward to the day that he would walk down the aisle.

 

Granted, the fantasy has been somewhat changed since he’d come out, but we all still would have loved to have been part of his special day. However, in retrospect, perhaps Brian and Justin getting married secretly and away from all the naysayers will ultimately be the best decision they have ever made. And with the screeching coming from both Deb and Michael, I have to admit that decision is looking more and more apparent.

 

“What the fuck do you mean, you’re married?! Why wasn’t I consulted?!” Deb is screeching, moving towards both Brian and Justin, that red missile already pointing in their direction. 

 

I’m so glad that I wasn’t the only one who noticed, as George and Levi get up to flank Brian and Justin, Kiki moves into the position Emmett vacated in order to take care of Daphne. 

 

“And why should either of us have consulted you, Deb? Brian and I are grown men and able to make decisions for ourselves without yours or anyone else’s unwanted input.”

 

“But Justin?? What about California? What about your future? What about…” Lindsay trails off. 

 

Shit! I’d forgotten that they hadn’t gotten the bitch out of here before Daphne had her mini meltdown. If it were up to me, she would have popped Lindsay a good turn too! But I’m so proud of my son, who at first doesn’t answer Lindsay. Instead, he places a proprietary hand over Brian’s flat stomach, gripping the fabric just shy of a tight fist. Brian takes the hint and leans down to brush his lips briefly as if breathing strength and patience into him. 

 

Folding his lips in, Justin turns to the officer still holding onto her. “Officer Talbert, after I give Lindsay this answer, can you please get her out of here? As it is, considering she was just served with a restraining order, and my stepson is present, Lindsay is already violating it.”

 

“HE’S NOT YOUR FUCKING STEPSON! YOU’RE NOTHING TO HIM! YOU’RE NOBODY!” Lindsay screams, bucking and twisting against the officer, who is still holding tightly to her.

 

“Well, since I married his father, and Gus is his son, that would make me his stepfather, Lindsay. Even you know that. But in answer to your question, I will only say that when you and Boo-Boo the Fool here decided to try to bury me into the ditch of obscurity, you should have done your research a little more thoroughly. I know that you’ve been trying to call Dee, but the reason she hasn’t been answering you is because she can’t.”

 

“What the hell do you mean she can’t?!” Lindsay asks through gritted teeth. “She and I have been friends for years…”

 

“Being acquaintances does NOT imply friendship, Lindsay. Again, something you should know very well. Anyway, she couldn’t answer any question you may have had in regards to me without violating a clause I had put into my contract with DPAA. It specifically states that under a strict confidentiality clause, my employers, meaning the trifecta at the top of DPAA cannot give out any information concerning my employment and internship to the following people: Lindsay Peterson, Michael Novotny, or Debra Novotny. To do so would be in violation of the contractual terms and I in turn would be able to sue for breach of said contract and invasion of privacy. Now, whereas I know that Brian wouldn’t betray my trust in such a manner to the likes of you three, I have ensured that neither will Dee and DeMarcus, or anyone else who works within the company. So no, she wasn’t going to call your unimportant ass back, Lindsay. In fact, I’m pretty certain that by now, she has all your numbers blocked from any phone associated with her. And for the record, you just played into her hands since she was looking for Brian and me anyway.”

 

Michael sneered, “And why the fuck would anyone, except a pimp, be looking for a whore like you, huh?”

 

And once again, Michael is slapped upside the head by Deb. I swear the woman is really a contradiction. On the one hand, Michael is allowed to be hateful and unkind to anyone, including Brian. But then she goes and defends Justin from his meanness, while still being a bitch to him herself. She really needs to get her emotional schizophrenia under control!

 

“The reason they were looking for me AND Brian is because of the work he and I did with the Liberty Air campaign when he was employed for your buddy Ryder, Michael. Which by the way, you’re going to have to find another dick to suck under the table now that Brian and Cynthia are no longer working there. I wouldn’t advise that you try to find a shoe-in at our new company either, since all are already loyal to the partners, in which Brian is one of them. So you and Lindsay will have to find another way to get your rocks off that doesn’t involve you screwing with our lives. Although, I think Lindsay is going to have her hands full with her own life for a bit.”

 

“This isn’t over!” Lindsay screams as she struggles against the handcuffs again, and I’m so proud of Justin when he responds.

 

“Probably not, but for right now, I don’t have to worry about what other knife you’ll use to twist into my back. Whatever other messes you’ve left for me, I’ll be prepared for them.”

 

As Lindsay is ushered out, both Mel and Brian ask, “Other messes?”

 

Ms. Plans always has contingencies waiting in the wings. Although, I think she wasn’t expecting to be caught up in her shenanigans regarding Gus. It will only slow her down for the interim,” he advises them softly, only to be interrupted, once again by screeching and whining.

 

“What the fuck did you mean by marrying Sunshine, Brian?! You’re going to ruin that boy’s life just the way you did my Michael’s!”

 

“And yet here you are, still demanding that I fix his life, right Deb?” Brian drawls carelessly.

 

“You’re damn fucking right I expect you to do the right thing by him!”

 

“Oh I intend to, beginning today.”

 

Ted and Vic slip into the Diner then and come to stand beside me. “Where were you guys?”

 

Vic answers, “I was at the bank with Teddy. I got the business loan, so Rodney, me, and Em are raring to go once we get everything else together. Thankfully, and with Brian and Justin’s help, it was no problem for Ted to start his LLC. After Wertschafter gave him the metaphorical shaft yesterday, Ted went right in and spoke with Brian’s personal banker, Daniel Quinn. He and Teddy are old friends so he helped him fill out everything needed.”

 

“That’s great, but is he still going to be able to collect his severance pay?”

 

“Absolutely, thanks to the clause Mel put into his contract. But I’ll explain the rest later. What have we been missing?”

 

“Brian just announced that they are married, and this is the argument because of it.”

 

“Since when is Brian responsible for a grown ass man, Deb? Last we all checked, his son is almost one, NOT thirty! If you want to continue to pamper and powder Michael’s ass then be our guest; my husband and I have much better, and more lucrative things to do!” Justin yells. 

 

I don’t think I’ve ever heard him as pissed off as he is right now. But then again, he’s probably as fed up as I am with Deb attacking Brian simply because he’s no longer going to cater to her and Michael. I mean, the absolute nerve of them to think that Brian is going to ruin Justin’s life! Honestly, I would rather Justin be with Brian rather than some feeble-minded dolt like Michael Novotny. And speaking of which…

 

“How hard did he let you fuck his throat for you to agree to marry him, huh Brian?!”

 

Brian’s response almost has me ready to laugh uproariously. “Apparently, David didn’t fuck your throat hard enough since you’re still able to talk shit!” 

 

“You’re way out of line, Brian! Apologize to Michael right now!” Deb demanded, but Brian was ready for her with an immediate retort.

 

“You do it!” he said, calmly. But the underlying heat in the command was definitely there. If words could kill, Brian's would have already been drawing out Deb's chalk outline.

 

“What?!” she squawks.

 

“I said, YOU. DO. IT! Apologize for birthing him; apologize for teaching him that nothing he does has consequences; apologize for whatever the fuck you want, because I’m NOT going to! I have nothing to be sorry for except that I’ve catered to each of you long enough. Well. that shit stops right now. From now on, you’re both on your own.”

 

“WHAT?!” They both yell before Deb whines piteously.

 

“Brian, you can’t mean that!”

 

“Oh, but I do. And it should have happened long since. You should be happy, Deb. With me out of the picture, you should have Michael’s undivided attention, right? Not only that, but then you can really get to know your son for who and what he is, right? Look at this as a gift. You’ll actually get to spend some much needed quality time together.”

 

I almost want to laugh at the twin looks of horror on each of their faces, albeit for different reasons. Now, Deb will see all of the things about Michael she’s been willfully blind to. Hell, she’s seen evidence of his churlishness quite a few times today, but without another target, no doubt Michael will take it all out on her. As for Michael, well, he will once again be the center of his mother’s attention without the buffer named Brian to take the heat off of him. Honestly, that’s the way it should have been long since.

 

“And what are you planning to do about Lindsay?” Deb asks. “She’s the mother of your son; you can’t…”

 

“I can and I WILL, Deb. Understand this once and for all: just because a baby slid out of her birth canal, that in no way made her mother. She was only the vessel from which my son sprung. You see that woman over there holding Gus’ stroller? THAT is Gus’ TRUE mother. Melanie has done any and everything for Gus, while Lindsay was too busy plotting and planning with your son to be bothered. So as far as I’m concerned, she’s dead to me and so is Michael. If you want your own tombstone within my mind, keep pushing this issue. It’s time for Michael to really understand what it means to grow up!”

 

Justin rubs soothing circles onto Brian’s abdomen, and I can see the moment the touch begins to act as Valium would to the overwrought man. I don’t know what the future holds in terms of the Novotnys in Brian’s world, but I know that as of this moment, he is DONE. And that ladies and gentlemen is a very dangerous place to be with my son-in-law.