- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER FOUR: SILENCE CAN SAY MORE THAN A MOUTHFUL


MICHAEL:


She’s still not talking to me. STILL! I don’t understand what the fuck her problem is. All I did was say what she’s voiced many times down through the years. Granted, it’s been many years since she’s said as much aloud, but that’s not really the point, is it? 


Honestly, the only thing that seems to have changed since she first started working at that brick and mortar bane of my existence is that some queers have moved on only to be replaced by more of the same. So, regardless of what Ma may have admitted to now or not, I still spoke the damn truth. And she just needs to get her tits out of a twist and help me figure out how to break Brian and Justin up for good. That’s where the fuck her mind should be at, instead of wherever it is that’s not on me and my problem of the moment. So, adopting my most pathetically apologetic look, I go into the kitchen to sit across the table from her.


“Ma, are you going to continue giving me the silent treatment? I said I was sorry. You’re usually so much more forgiving.” I pouted.


“Why should I say anything, Michael? Besides, talking to you is like talking to a cop after being read my Miranda rights.”


“What are you talking about?!” I explode at her words, but moreso her tone. She sounds completely cold and detached, which is just unacceptable to me at this moment, especially in the aftermath of hearing of Brian’s m-m-MARRIAGE to his fuckboy! “AND WHO THE FUCK IS THIS MIRANDA BITCH?! Uh, Ma?! WHO IS SHE?!”


And before I knew what I had done, Ma’s hand had slapped me so hard that I felt as if lightning flashed behind my eyeballs. As my vision cleared, I realized she was holding her left wrist against her body, even as I was still halfway across the table. “What the fuck is wrong with you, Michael?! You don’t get to grab me like that!”


“Ma, I’m…”


“You’re sorry, huh? You’re sorry? Well, I’m NOT! If you ever think to do some shit like that again, you need to remember that this kitchen is full of knives and I won’t hesitate to cut your fucking hands off!”


I swallow hard at her words and the tone in which she said them. I never knew Ma to be so violent… But then again, I’ve never even thought to grab her in a way that would have her threatening me. I need her. I need her to be my ally in breaking Brian and Boy Wonder up, but right now, I can’t even ask her what we should do about it. Taking a deep breath, I say, “I think… I think I should go home.”


Her eyes softened a little in pity, before she answered, “Michael, you and I both know that you ARE home.”


“No! There’s nothing left for me here. I mean, Brian is… and then I just attacked you and… Oh God, I feel like I’m going crazy!” I sniff as if I’m fighting back tears. 


But then again, part of me really is because of what that little blond boy ass made my best friend do. Somehow, someway, Justin had tricked Brian into tying himself to Justin, and I’m going to find out how. But first, I need to return to David’s house. It’s the only way I can access Hank’s computer, which should give me the answers I need to prove to Brian what a mistake marrying that conniving blond was. In fact, Hank’s continued contact with Justin was the reason he began treating me as if I was an intruder within my own home. 


So the first thing I need to do is to reestablish my role as David’s partner, and therefore Hank’s stepfather. Then it will be time to monitor the interactions between Hank and Justin until I can find a way to sever it permanently. After all, David wanted me in charge of his home, which to me includes managing Hank. David shouldn’t have any objections about how I plan to do that, since he always wanted me to be involved and treat Hank like my own son. Well, when I was younger, there was no way that Ma would have let me get away with having any interactions with boys far older than me. 


The same should go for Hank, and I’m going to ensure it does. And that will especially go for an asshole named Justin Taylor! I quickly wipe the determined frown from my forehead at the thought of my plan, and adopt the pathetic look which usually hits Ma right in the heart. “I have to go back and at least try to fix things with David. I don't want to be alone, Ma.”


“I know, Baby, but you do know that a heartfelt apology is warranted, don't you?”


“Of course, Ma. I should have never listened to Lindsay. She can just be so persuasive, you know?”


“I DO know, but Michael… Son, when you talk to David, you have to level with him this time. Tell him that you were scared of all the changes that seemed to be happening all at once. I’m sure he’ll understand.”


I work hard not to roll my eyes at her. The truth is that I wasn’t scared at all of the changes; just intended to get Brian to realize that he didn’t like me being so far away. I wanted Brian to miss me so much that he would finally realize that we belong together. But that’s not what happened. No, instead he marries my fucking enemy, and forgets all that he and I have meant to each other.


Once again, I have to erase all traces of bitterness from my face before answering her with what she expects to hear. “Sure thing, Ma. I’ll do that. And like you said, I’m sure he’ll understand and want to give us another chance.”


“Good. I know that I had my reservations at first, especially about you moving across the country, but David has been good to you; to us. So it’s not unreasonable that he would have been upset, but he shouldn’t have sent you home. That’s not how a relationship works!”


And how would she know, since as long as I’ve been alive, she’s never had one? I want to ask her that, but I don’t. Doing that will just put us at odds again, and that’s not something I need to happen right now. After all, I have to talk to David first. It looks like once again, Ma is on MY side, where she belongs; I don’t want to ruin my last resort safety net.


But who am I kidding? Of course, David will take me back since I’m the best thing that’s ever happened to him and Hank. It’s time he remembers that. Hell, even his ex-wife knows that! So really, I have nothing to worry about. I just have to work on separating Hank from Justin first, and then everything else will fall into place, including reclaiming my best friend to my side in the more permanent role- as my partner.


With that in mind, I push back from the table to begin packing. “I’ll send for the rest of my things once I make things with David official again.”


“Why not arrange for everything to be shipped before you leave?”


“I don’t want to overwhelm him right at the beginning of us starting over. Besides, David will probably want to do it for me the way he did the first time. Controlling that will kind of be a little nostalgic for him.” 


I don’t want to tell her that I don’t feel like coming out of my pocket more than the one way ticket back to Portland is going to cost me. It’s bad enough that I’m already out the eight-hundred dollars from this morning, with no way to get it back. But if David… I’ll have an entire flight to think of how to get him to replace the money from my account. But first, I need to reestablish my hold on him and Hank. 


“Okay, Baby. You would know how David would react better than I would under these circumstances. In the meantime, I’ll call for a taxi. What time do you want to leave?”


“Can you make it for about a half an hour? That will give me enough time to pack and book a ticket for a flight a few hours from now. I have to arrive at the airport at least two hours ahead of time.”


She nods and walks over to the phone still on the kitchen wall, while I head upstairs. Strangely, I feel a little better about the way my day has been going now that I have a plan in place. I should probably go to see Lindsay before I leave, but… really, I don’t want to. She’s served about as much of a purpose as she could right now. I mean, there’s not much she can do from jail, now is there?


So, once I’m back in Portland, I’ll send a letter to the women’s correctional facility to let her know that I- Michael Charles Novotny- have finally found the way to get rid of Boy fucking Wonder for good! And then, when I have Brian exactly where I want him, she’ll be the first person to receive an invitation to OUR wedding.


FEDERAL COURT BUILDING

MELANIE:


I’m trying to absorb what I’d just read, handed to me from Defense Attorney, Alfred Lutz of Spitzer Pharmaceuticals. Judge Harris was still in conference within his office with Harry, Gabriel, and Judge Barrows, explaining why I was delayed this morning. Since Beverly, his court clerk hasn’t come back into the courtroom to tell us that the hearing is going to be postponed, I can only assume that everything is going okay. I look down at the paper again, seeing the settlement figure listed there and resisting the urge to pass out.


Holy shit! It wasn’t my imagination!


First, let me be clear in saying that my fairy godfathers are miracle workers. From the Carolina Herrera suit I’m wearing, thanks to Brian and Ernie, straight down to the Manolo Blahniks shoes Emmett had Daphne commandeer from Jolene, I look as if I should be holding this piece of paper. I don’t think I have ever looked so damn dazzling, even within my professional capacity, in my life! Then to top it off, Ted took one look at what they were putting me in and ran right out to buy me a new briefcase, saying that if I was going to be dressed as a mogul, my necessary accessory should look just as expensive. I honestly wanted to cry, but was warned against doing so by Emmett, who gave me such a dewy-fresh look that no one within this courtroom would believe that I’d practically been through hell in the last twenty-four hours.


So, holding this piece of paper for the five families most affected by Spitzer Pharmaceuticals’ notorious discriminatory practices is not only well-deserved, but a true testament to how fucking hard I worked on this particular case. I lean over to the man who was the catalyst of it all, and show him the slip of paper. I smile seeing his reaction, which I know mirrored my own mere moments ago. Jefferson Hawthorne- a well known actor in Hollywood, who goes by the name of Jeff Hawks- first brought the lawsuit due to his treatment on the set of a Spitzer Pharmaceutical commercial. Ironically, the problem wasn’t with the Director or any of the the crew; it was with Morton Spitzer himself.


Brian’s initial warning to Marty Ryder about taking on Spitzer’s campaign was because of the heir apparent to the company. And when Morton’s father, Eugene, passed a little more than eight months ago, Brian’s dire predictions were more than realized. The very first thing he did as the new CEO of the major corporation was to do a little housecleaning as he called it. If you weren’t considered the right shade of African-American, you were dismissed. According to his belief, keeping the lighter-skinned blacks was enough to keep the EOC happy, so he wasn’t overly concerned about their complaints that his actions were in any way discriminatory.


But the day that Jeff arrived on set proved to be the day that his bigotry would catch up with him a hundred fold. They were in the middle of the last take of the commercial, regarding the latest product geared towards the African-American community, when Morton arrived and declared loudly that he didn’t want “A Burnt Faggot representing the product line!” It didn’t matter that Jeff Hawks was one of the most sought after actors in Hollywood, despite his sexuality. It didn’t matter that Jeff was the spokesperson chosen because he believed in the product he was selling, and it didn’t matter that he was personally asked by his long-time friend and supporter, Eugene, to represent his interests. No. 


All that mattered to Morton was that Jeff wasn’t the right kind of black and that he was a homosexual. So Jeff did the only thing he could think to do, which was to call his old college study/ drinking buddy named Melanie Marcus, who just happened to work as an attorney in the same state where the large corporation had headquarters. Upon further investigation, I discovered many people who were more than willing to provide information in reference to Morton Spitzer’s business practices and how they differed from his predecessor’s. It wasn’t that they were looking for the compensation merely for themselves, but because the people who were unfairly terminated were not only high-ranking officials within the company, but well-liked and well-respected employees. And sadly for the idiot over at the table, whispering fiercely to his attorney, every last one of those people were SALARIED employees. 


Karma can definitely be a bitch, and at the moment she was wearing an expensive suit coupled with a pair of kick-ass heels. Thank you, Glam Squad!


“Is this for real?” Jeff asks me, as I try my hardest to keep my face entirely neutral. 


“Seems so,” I answer.


“But… it’s more than what we asked for. Wouldn’t it be a bit… I don’t know, unethical to take it?”


I look at my friend and almost want to laugh. I swear no matter how famous Jeff has become over the years since he was forced to leave law school because of his homophobic mother and spineless father, he still hasn’t lost his stalwart sense of right and wrong. So knowing that, I give him my honest opinion on the matter. “Man, if you don’t agree to this figure with a fucking smile, I’ll kick your ass myself!”


Instead of taking any kind of offense, he flashes that billion dollar smile with the most lethal dimples at me, and nods his head. “You’re right. In truth, we all deserve the reward, and he deserves to have to shell it out. Based on this figure not only are all of our broken contract costs taken care of, but there’s also enough here for them to never have to worry about money again, even after your fee. And that’s what’s most important to me.”


I touch his hand gently, smiling at him. “I know. Always fighting for the underdog is what we do. Between the lost wages, and the fact that some three of the families are now in foreclosure on their homes… yeah, he deserved to pay, and pay BIG. But you do know that once this case really becomes public, you’ll barely have a moment’s peace?”


“I barely have that now…” he drifted off, before straightening in his chair and leaning even closer to me. “My, uh… my relationship is about to become public knowledge.”


“You’re seeing someone? That’s great! I had no idea.”


“Yeah, he is pretty great, but…”


“But?”


“He’s also well-known. You know that billboard on First and Fourth?” As I sit there, thinking about the larger than life image of Hadrian Jeanty, I just about fall out of my damn chair!


“No fucking way!”


“Hell YEAH! And let me tell you, he’s worth everything, including the shit storm that’s about to take aim at my career. Know a good publicist, and attorney? I’m thinking that Kate and James are going to need the backup.”


I’m about to tell him about Brian and Justin when the judge comes in and the bailiff requests that we rise. Once he takes his seat, he asks with narrowed eyes at the defense corner, “Have there been any settlement offers made towards the plaintiffs in this case, or am I going to state my decision?”


“There has, Your Honor,” Mr. Lutz advises.


“And is the offer acceptable to the Plaintiffs?” Judge Harris asks, facing me. I can tell that he almost wishes that I would say no so that he can really torture the pompous asshole, who’s sitting over there like he’s some sort of Pontiff.


“It is, Your Honor.”


“Good. So please state for the record the amount of the settlement, Ms. Marcus,” Judge Harris demands.


It’s so hard not to either pass out or smile like a loon right now. But it’s going to give me an awesome amount of satisfaction to say the figure aloud, considering how the defendant also views women alongside anyone not lily white and hetero. Bastard! “Eight-hundred and sixty-seven million dollars, Your Honor.” 


And I’m hard-pressed not to laugh aloud at the look on his face when he asks me to repeat it. So I do, and he responds, “You’re happy with that figure?”


“We are, Your Honor. Although we do ask that the defendant be made to pay all other court costs since it was his actions that brought us here in the first place.”


“I object to that,” Lutz jumps up.


“On what grounds?” Judge Harris asks, narrowing his eyes again. And I don’t ever think I’ve seen Alfred Lutz so flustered in court before. It’s quite gratifying.


“My client is already shelling out a substantial amount of compensation to the wronged parties. He admits that his actions were wrong, and vows to do better. But…”


The judge holds up his hand to stay any further argument. “I understand your concern, Mr. Lutz. However, I would like to remind you that your client could have been facing even stiffer penalties should I have issued my ruling instead of the plaintiffs accepting the settlement. As it is, he will have to hold a company-wide sensitivity training, as well as other actions to come into compliance with our Equal Opportunity Commission and Federal laws. So asking him to pay the court costs is a minimal personal punishment for the amount of damage he has done within his company’s halls. Anything else?”


“No, Your Honor.”


“Good. So now that this is settled, you are hereby ordered to remit payment to these individuals before you leave the courthouse today. I would remind you all of the gag order. You may discuss the case in generalized terms ONLY, but to protect the wronged parties going forward, we order the amount of the settlement NOT to be disclosed to the press. If there is nothing further, this case is dismissed!”


As he leaves the bench, I look to the back of the courtroom in order to see not only Harry but Gabriel as well. And the smile that lights my face tells them all they need to know. So when Jeff grabs my hand, after hugs of congratulations to everyone else and advising them to go directly to the office so we can settle their case in-house, I’m not surprised that he takes me right to them. 


“Congrats, Mel. This case just made you the highest paid attorney within the state within the last ten years,” Harry tells me.


“It was worth every single hour to make sure that idiot thinks twice about discriminating against anyone else ever again.”


“I know. He’s nothing like his father was,” Jeff says. “Eugene was not only a good man, he was a fair one. It’s too bad he died so suddenly, otherwise I doubt Morton would have gotten the company at all. So what’s next for you, Mel?”


Before I could answer, Harry interrupts. “She’s going to be heading up the partnership from the West Coast.”


I couldn’t have heard that right. Right? “Excuse me?”


Harry smiles at me. “You heard correctly, Mel. Gabe told me about what happened yesterday, and now what happened this morning. I was just waiting for this case to finish before I brought the situation we find ourselves in up to you.”


“What do you mean? What situation?” I ask, stunned.


“My old law professor is finally ready to retire. He still worked as a criminal defense attorney, but had been more geared towards entertainment and contract law for the last twenty years or so; ever since he decided to leave the east coast for the west really. Anyway, somehow he remembered a drunken promise he made to me at his going-away party that when he was ready to retire, his firm was mine if I wanted it.”


“And…”


“With this win, it’s the perfect time for us to expand, and you’re who we want to do it,” Harry tells me, grinning.


“Why aren’t you, or Vasquez considering it?”


“Vasquez was at one time, but then his wife Myrna got a promotion to Dean of Students at Carnegie. It’s a position she’s been working towards for a long time, so he wants to let her live her dream. And although I don’t have too many things to keep me here, family wise, I think that with what’s going on with you, it would be better for you… and Gus to be away from here. I heard that Brian and Justin are relocating there, and with your hours, there’s no way you’d be able to be a single parent here. So it’s only logical that you make the move there. 


“Sure, you’ll have to brush up on all facets of law, but you’ll have Edgar’s soon-to-be-former partner to sponsor you so that you can take the California Bar. Gavin Hayes is only a few years younger than you are, but he’s extremely knowledgeable. The two of you will make an awesome pairing once you get going. However, in the meantime you’ll just travel back and forth- company flex expense account in effect- until you’re able to gather and maintain Edgar’s current caseload. Manuel and I have every faith in you that you will continue on your upward mobility swing and take the firm to the next level.”


“Geez, no pressure,” I mumble. Even with this win, I still can’t help but be a little nervous about this new venture. That must have shown on my face because Gabe begins putting my skittish nerves at ease somewhat.


“If it means anything to you, Mel, my firm is already a partner with Edgar’s firm through his other partner. So between you and Gavin, you’ll be joining both of them together,” Gabe advises, which strangely, does make me feel better. Thomas Gabriel is an awesome attorney; it will be nice to have a direct line to him, especially when it comes to Brian and Justin’s business interests and regarding Gus. I don’t trust Lindsay not to try some shit, no matter that she’s behind bars right now.


Jeff takes my hand again, before saying, “You already have one major client, Mel, so why not? Besides, it will be nice to have my buddy close to me again.”


I can’t help but take note of the yearning look in his eyes. Before this case, it had been two years since Jeff and I were able to see each other at all. He was busy with his career; I was busy being Lindsay’s whipping post and instant bank. Which brought me to all my thoughts about her and the last few months. The truth is, I want to get as far out of her orbit as possible. With every minute that passes, I’m so glad that I got to see the worst of her before I tied myself permanently to her in a legal sense.


But in all honesty, I fear what she will be able to do, even from her perch in prison. That Madonna appeal she employs is enough to fool the masses any damn time she wants. Hell, it worked on me and Brian countless times. But also there is the problem of Michael, who undoubtedly will continue to be a nuisance. And with that thought I realize that I’m afraid of him, too. 


Not because Michael puts the fear of God in me, but because I might incur several charges for harming him. He has that effect on people. So it’s that last thought which helps me to make up my mind. “When do you need me ready to relocate?”


Harry smiles. “I’m glad that you are seeing the wisdom of getting the hell out of the Pitts. And don’t worry, Mel. I’ll be visiting often. Not to check up on you regarding work, but to see how you’re doing. Now that it’s settled, I want the full relocation done as soon as you can manage it. In the meantime, you’ll just be our commuter lawyer, so that none of your current caseload suffers.”


“That could work,” I agree. 


“Hell yeah it could!” Jeff says, with a wide grin. “Besides, how could it not when you just made two-hundred and eighty-nine thousand dollars before taxes?”


“Shit! I hadn’t even thought of that!” I exclaim.


“That’s surely going to be enough for you to buy a kick ass place so I can hide from the paparazzi. Make sure it has a high gate.”

 

I laugh at my friend, and while I’m hugging my staunchest supporters with my chosen profession, I know in the back of my mind I have two people to thank profusely. I owe Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney a whole lot for this particular rescue mission, and I’ll spend the rest of my life repaying it. 

 

 

 

Pic of Ryan Gentiles aka Jeff