- Text Size +

CHAPTER FIVE: SILENCE CAN SAY MORE THAN A MOUTHFUL Part 2


TED:


“That was Melanie. She’s on her way back here, and wanted to make sure that we were all going to be here,” I tell everyone. 


It’s still amazing to me to see Brian and Justin the way they are. They haven’t stopped touching in some way since Michael’s little show when Vic and I arrived. I still can’t believe they are married. Even though I’ve had a few more days to digest it than most of the people within the Diner, it’s still one of those rare phenomenon that almost makes me want to start checking for signs of the Apocalypse. But having seen how together they were at dinner the other night, and seeing them now, I can tell that neither of them- especially Brian- regrets the hasty decision. 


“Did she say how everything went?” Brian asks me, still running his fingers through the scruff at the back of Justin’s neck. 


Admittedly, Justin looks even hotter now that he’s letting his hair grow out. He was already a looker, in a twink kind of way. But honestly, Justin’s never fit that description, especially once he opened his mouth. That young man just oozes intelligence, and it isn’t hard to see what’s really held Brian’s interest in deciphering this particular enigma. But the longer hair has transformed Justin’s features a bit, in that he still looks young, but also more worldly than he did while attending St. James Episcopal Preparatory High School. 


I guess being made to wear it in a certain style for most of one’s life would breed contempt at some point. 


Shaking myself out of my brief reverie, I answer, “She only said that she had news, and was bringing a few people with her.”


“I wonder if the papers have been delivered yet,” Justin mused aloud. “I told Gabriel that I wanted it done as soon as possible.”


“Then trust that he’s done it already and stop fretting, Sunshine. I think he was just as anxious to draw up those documents as you were that he did it. I remember him saying that one or all of them were bound to renege despite the confidentiality clause that they were all made to sign. And the fact that you had Cynthia stipulate Nancy and Lindsay’s names specifically in the contracts means that Ron Peterson can’t even state that he didn’t know of your terms, even before he signed on the dotted line. He’s in clear violation, but more importantly, Marty and Gardner are also going to pay for it.”


“How so when they weren’t aware of Ron’s loose lips?” I ask, because I’m a little confused. I mean it would be one thing if they were present during the phone call that was the start of all this, but to my knowledge and Cyn’s confirmation, they were on a conference call upstairs within RVA as she was leaving.


“It’s the fact that Justin had me stipulate that if one of them broke faith, they ALL did, and therefore would be held legally responsible should Brian and Justin’s confidentiality be broken in any form. In this situation, Lindsay was able to obtain as much information as she did because Ron was talking to Nancy about not only their new positions within DPAA, but also their personal finances and contract with RVA regarding the Liberty Air campaign.”


“Do you think she had a chance to pass that information along to Craig?” Suzette asks. And I have to admit to wondering the same thing.


“I can’t say for sure, but…” Tatum trails off, as if she’s replaying the entire conversation that they were relaying had happened within Judge Faulk’s chambers earlier that morning. The gleam in her eyes told all of us that she’s arrived at some sort of conclusion. “I hate to admit this, but she must have at least skimmed the surface of the situation with him.”


“How can you be so sure?” Charles asks her, and once again, my curiosity is beginning to get the better of me.


“It was in the caustic way he answered her before Judge Faulk cleared his throat and demanded that he hang up the phone. The funny thing is that I remember from back in the days when my grandfather used to work as a court clerk for a well-known judge. If everything is still true to form, unless it’s requested that all recording devices be turned off prior to a meeting beginning, the minutes are always transcribed and recorded. It’s common enough practice, especially since there are always many meetings held within Judges’ chambers, which usually occurs during a trial between the attorneys and the judge. It’s kind of like having a stenographer readily available without the whole hoopla of having to move equipment from point A to point B, only to have to move it back again.”


“So if Lindsay even thought to mention any of Brian and Justin’s business over the phone to Craig, the recorder within the office would have picked up the conversation since it’s voice activated!” Charles exclaims, before taking his wife’s hand. “Have I told you lately how much I adore that huge brain of yours?”


She blushes adorably at his compliment, but shakes her head. “You know a girl like me can never hear that often enough, Charlie.”


“Well I do, you know,” he says, and I have to admit that not only are they endearing but also a little… scary. I mean the heated looks they are aiming each other’s way now are a lot like the ones Justin gives to Brian, and…


“Oh, no you don’t, you two!” Suzetta mercifully interrupts them. “You will not sit here with eyes that resemble heat-seeking missiles, especially not while my Thomas is not here with me at the moment.”


“And just where is Thomas, anyway?”


“Visiting with his own wayward offspring today, but he should arrive back at home tonight. Any time spent with his grandchildren is a joy, but any moment spent with his stuffy son shaves a year’s worth of minutes off his life. Those are his words, not mine.” She chuckles.  


“Grandmother, you didn’t tell me that you had a new beau,” Justin complains. 


“And I didn’t know you were married until just recently, so I think we’re even.”


Justin scrunched his nose up in a perfect imitation of the cheeky woman still staring at him, daring him to contradict her. “Good point,” he finally says.


“I know. But I want you to remember this one thing, young man: Old; NOT cold. Got it?!”


“More than I think I want to,” Justin answers before adding a mock shiver and a smile. 


Both Jennifer’s and Charles’ phones ring at that moment, and they look at their phones with slight frowns creasing their foreheads. “Everything okay?” Tatum asks, instantly concerned, looking between the two of them. 


“I’m not sure, but… well, let me take this and I’ll let you know. Excuse me for a few moments, everyone,” he says and then steps outside of the Diner. “Duane? What have you got for me?”


Duane? As in Daphne’s brother? I don’t have much time to dwell on making the connection, because whereas Charles stepped out, Jennifer on the other hand, stays there and opts to answer hers amid the ongoing hustle and bustle around her. 


“Hello, Susan. Trouble at the office?” She answers her phone in the same upbeat tone we’re all used to hearing from her. 


Like me, everyone watches as the frown enters her eyes, even as her outward appearance stays neutral. It’s a talent I wish I possessed; the ability to stay incredibly calm despite whatever she’s being told right now. Unless it involves the surety of numbers, I don’t have that kind of rein on my emotions. I have tried in the past, like when Blake blew the rehab I’d put him in, but… well, let’s just say thank God that Emmett was there to hold me up because I surely would have crumbled to the floor in my distress.


“I know we just acquired the other office, but why weren’t we informed that she’d done this?” Jennifer asks in such a terse tone, something I never would have suspected she possessed. 


I look over to Justin, whose eyes have narrowed. Apparently, he’s picking up on some of the conversation that the rest of us aren’t privy to, especially from Jennifer’s reaction to what’s being said. “What’s going on?” I ask, but he just shakes his head for the moment.


However, Brian lets him go in order to drag me a little ways away. When we are over by the barstools flanking the counter, he leans in a little closer and says, “I need you to do two things, Ted, and I mean NOW.”


I swallow hard and respond, “Okay, Bri. Anything you need, you know that.”


“The first thing I need you to do is to call Quinn and confirm that Lindsay has a separate account.”


“What? Why?”


“Because that account would be under the name Lindsay Kinney.


Oh fuck, that BITCH!


JUSTIN:


As I stand here, basically eavesdropping on the conversation my mother is having with her assistant, I can feel myself getting angrier and angrier. Not only on my behalf, but on Brian and Mel’s, too. That fucking twit has not only been stealing from Gus, but has been using the money to fund an apartment in an affluent neighborhood that doesn’t even allow kids as residents! What was the purpose, other than to live out her Mrs. Kinney fantasies? Why would she do this? 


Ordinarily, I would say let’s just go with the most obvious one, and metaphorically crucify her for being an insufferable asshole. But no, Michael basically holds that title. However, with Lindsay, I’m learning that we have to look deeper into her motives because very little reasoning of what’s exposed on the surface is actually the reality. So when my mother says, “I’ll be on my way there in a little while to check the place out myself. I also want the eviction notice immediately delivered to wherever they are holding her. You can call Duane Chanders at Child and Family Services for that information. I’ll call him now to clear the way for you to do what I’ve instructed. After that, I think we’ll send her things- well whatever we find that actually belongs to her- on to her parents’ residence. The least they can do is build a doghouse for the bitch since she’s metaphorically in one.”


WOW! Mom is certainly coming out of her shell. It’s a good thing! So many times over the years I’ve watched her suppress her thoughts and feelings because of Craig’s idiocy and ideals. It’s nice to see that she’s losing her self-imposed censor whenever the situation calls for it.


Just then Gramps comes back in, and ironically the look on his face matches Mom’s. I take a quick glance over to Brian where he’s still speaking to Ted. I take it that Brian is setting Ted to the task of following the money, which explains the stiff set of their shoulders and concentrated looks in their eyes. Meanwhile, my phone is ringing now, and looking at the caller ID, I know I need to take the call. Like Mom, I opt to stay within the Diner to answer it.


“This is Justin.”


“Good, I’m glad that you answered, Justin,” Gabriel’s voice came over the line. “I just wanted to let you know that although I’m coming with Mel to the Diner, and we’ll be there in a few minutes, that I’ve already filed the papers with the court since I was there anyway because of Mel’s case. I met with Barrows again after you all left, and there have been a few new developments.”


“What developments?”


“He’s extended the restraining order to include Ronald and Nancy Peterson. He doesn’t trust Lindsay not to try to use them to further her cause.”


“But they’ve never shown an interest in Gus before.”


“True,” Gabe acknowledges. “But this time, Lindsay is desperate enough to try to force their hands. Remember the conversation we had this morning in reference to Debbie reaching out to Joan Kinney for this very reason because of Lindsay? It would stand to reason that Lindsay would pull out all the stops in order to regain control of her meal ticket by any means necessary. We’re just being proactive in closing all those avenues ahead of time. She’s either going to have to shit or get off the pot.”


I nod, even though he can’t see me through the phone. ‘I agree. And regarding the other things I asked you to look into for me?”


“One was a fairly easy fix, since Robert and Joel are already heading to Taylor Electronics- oh pardon me, Taylor-Kinney Electronics- to make sure that Craig adheres to your orders.”


“And Julian?”


“Is going to be ready to act as your personal assistant whenever you’re ready for him.”


“Tell him he begins today. Thanks for recommending him. I mean, I know he’s your son and all, but the fact that he has a Contract Law degree along with a Masters in International Business… well, you just saved my sanity in ways that you can’t begin to imagine. You’re sure he doesn’t mind?”


“Not at all,” Gabe says enthusiastically. “He was trying to figure out his next move after realizing that although he’s a genius in the courtroom, he’s one of the very few attorneys I know who actually LIKES the endless rounds of paperwork. And since your business ventures are increasing, I doubt we’ll be able to erase the smug satisfaction and fulfillment from him for years to come.”


“But you’re still my main attorney, Gabe.”


“Of course, but having Julian there every step of the way with you is going to help keep you efficient. Between him and Brian, neither of them are going to let you burn out before you even get started. And that makes me feel marginally better.”


“Why marginally?”


I hear Gabe sigh, before he answers me. “Look, Justin, I know we have only known each other for a short time, but I’ve known your husband for YEARS. I know the type of person it would take to keep Brian enthralled. The man would have to be able to not only sustain Brian, but contain him too. And ironically, he would have to have the same kind of drive and determination that Brian has. However, that kind of… endless energy, comes with a hefty price. You will make very few true friends, but miles of enemies on your way to the top. So it’s up to all of us- your inner circle- to keep you as safe and focused as we can. And consequently, it means that we never stop worrying about you, regardless of whether it’s about business, or your personal well-being.”


It’s then that Brian’s words replay in my head: Just do me a favor and don’t burn out, or forget that you have a husband who is going to require your attention as well. 


“Message received, Gabe. And I promise to take the time to stop and breathe a bit so that you all can get a little rest, too.”


I can hear his smile through the phone. “Well now, that’s generous of you, Justin. But listen, let me go, and I’ll see you in a few minutes.”


“Oh, you said that you were with Mel at the courthouse. Did everything go okay there? Do you know why she was so insistent that we all be here when she got here?”


“Trust me, there’s a very specific reason for it. But it’s her news to tell. She’s about three cars ahead of me in traffic so we’ll be there shortly. In the meantime, rest that big brain of yours for a few minutes and stop thinking of the next thing and the next. We’ll work it all out when we get there.”


He disconnects the call before I can even think to ask him anything else. And, whereas I’m tempted to disregard his orders to rest my mind for a few moments, I can’t deny that I am a little tired. It’s like we’ve been running constantly since we stepped off the plane last night, and the few hours that we slept were hardly enough. Thank God for caffeine! But Gabe’s right. I’ve done all I can do for the moment, so it’s time for me to take these few moments while waiting for Mel to arrive just to relax. 


It’s not more than twelve seconds before I finish that thought that a fresh steaming cup of coffee is placed in front of me. I look up into the brown eyes of the only woman on earth who knows me better than my own mother and smile. “I thought you could use this. You’re beginning to flag a bit,” Daphne tells me.


“Thanks,” I take a sip and nearly moan aloud. “This is definitely NOT the Diner’s usual blend. Where did you get this?”


She smiles. “You should know the taste of your favorite from Auntie Del’s place when you taste it.”


“I do, but I know that you haven’t been out of this place long enough to run to her place to get it.”


“True, but well, don’t tell too many people yet even if it is your business to do so. Auntie Del just signed a lucrative business deal- well two of them actually.”


“Oh? What for?”


“First, she’s going to be Bi-coastal now. Thanks to Brian’s suggestion, she decided to entertain an offer she received almost six months ago for a merger of sorts. She’s still going to keep the place here, but you know those Boozy shakes she always makes at the family get togethers?”


I laugh. “How can I forget the Ring-My-Dingaling or the Tittering Twat? It was the first time something named after the female anatomy really appealed to me. But the Bitter Bitch and Golden Shower shakes really got to me.”

 

Daph laughed. “Yeah she does have a way of sexually naming the most innocent- well as innocent as they can be with more than two ounces of alcohol in them- concoctions. So anyway, you’ll never guess who the new merger is going to be with…”


“Who?? Don’t keep me in suspense! I always hate it when you do that.” I whine, which causes her to laugh even harder.


“Fine. But again, Jus, you can’t tell anyone just yet. The ink on the contract is barely dry, and I know they are going to want to do major advertising on it since the restaurant is already a major draw.”


“Okay.”


“It’s I.F.I.!”


“I.F.I. as in the restaurant owned by…”


“Chadwick Jean and his partners. That’s right!” 


The I.F.I restaurant stands for Irish, French, and Italian which represents all three of the life partners’ heritage. It’s one of the most premiere restaurants, not only in the U.S. but abroad as well. “How the hell did she manage that?”


“Apparently, one of the partners visited here in the Pitts for whatever reason, and recommended it to their significant others. From there, it kind of snowballed and voila! So not only are they going to enhance Aunt Del’s coffee business, but now they are going to help put her gourmet shakes on the map as well.”


“God! We have to get that contract. I don’t trust anyone else to handle it adequately for her, and therefore them. Del deserves every good thing this life has to offer her.”


“I know, but we’ll talk about it later. Right now, Melanie is coming in. I really can’t wait to… oh my God! Is that…?”


I turn to look at where she’s looking and I know that my own shock mirrors hers. Because accompanying Melanie, along with Harry and Gabe, is fucking Jeff Hawks. How the hell is Mel walking in here with Jeff fucking Hawks?! And as the Diner remains in stunned silence, Melanie turns to lock the door to the Diner, then instructs George and Levi to lower the blinds in the place even as she flips the closed sign. Finally turning to the rest of us, she announces, “Everyone, first I’m going to ask you to do something I never would ordinarily order you to do. Put those damn phones away! This is a special treat for all of you since you’ve supported me through this morning so that I could get to court in record time for one of the biggest cases of my life.”


And surprisingly, they all hastily do what she asks, knowing like the rest of us that something monumental is about to be said. I’m still in fucking shock that one of the world’s biggest action heros is standing here within this place. Oh shit! The Diner that I jointly OWN with Tony and my best friend! And all I can think at this moment is how fucking grateful I am that neither of the three P.I.T.A’s are here to witness this.


Brian seems to be having the same type of epiphany as he comes to rest his hands on my shoulders, as we wait for whatever Mel has to say. She clears her throat and says, “I’d like to introduce you to a very dear friend of mine, and one of my clients of the last few months against Spitzer Pharmaceuticals. This is one of my best friends since college, Jefferson Hawthorne. But you all may know him as…”


And the whole Diner erupts, screaming “JEFF HAWKS!” 


I honestly don’t think I’ve ever fangirled as much in my life. In fact, I’m sure that I’ve NEVER done this before. Usually, I’m the calm, cool, and collected one between me and Daphne. But shit! Fucking Jeff Hawks is in the Liberty Diner!


I look over at Ted, who has gone over to hug the tall man with the most amazing dreadlocks, marvelling at the familiarity between the two. And I think I need to have my ears checked as I hear Ted say, “I can’t believe that you’re really standing here, man. What’s it been? About twelve years, and look at you, Mr. Stahhh.”


And although Jeff laughs, he’s also… Oh fuck! Is he blushing? He IS! He IS blushing, which I would have never thought he was capable of. 


“Yeah, it’s been a long time, Brown Eyes,” Jeff responds nostalgically, as he keeps a hold of Ted. “I swear between our schedules, it’s a wonder that we were even able to keep in touch by phone sometimes. And unfortunately, Skype can only show so much. But it’s so great to see you in person for a change!”


The Diner is in full buzz at this new development, and although I’m about to say something to satisfy my own curiosity, Melanie does it for me. “Now, hey everyone, we’ll tell you all how Jeff has come to be here today, BUTTTT I’m thinking he’ll want to eat first. Salad?”


He laughs heartily then, and the sound is absolutely musical… deep, and resonating. Oh my damn...! “Bullshit, Mel. I want a double cheeseburger with all the fixings. I’ll work it off later, if you know what I mean. Besides, I can’t get a taste of home anywhere in L.A., so this is my chance. You all won’t tell my trainer, will you?”


A chorus of ‘hell nos’ are shouted, and I almost want to laugh as I watch Tony head back immediately to the kitchen. This day just keeps bringing one surprise after another. What started off as one shitty situation after another has culminated in more than a mere celebrity sighting. I mean he came in here with and greeted two of the most unlikely friends in the entire place. Yet Mel and Ted have managed to keep it a secret that they’ve known this man for years?! 


Brian must have picked up on my train of thought because he says aloud, “Well this certainly explains the insta-dates between you two whenever a new one of Jeff Hawks movies hits the theaters.” 


“If it wasn’t for these two, I wouldn’t be who I am today,” Jeff answers, wrapping both Mel and Ted in his huge arms again. “When my parents cut me off, it was the two of them who pooled their money to buy me a plane ticket to Los Angeles, and pay for a place for me to stay and eat before I found my first job out there. What’s special about that is they were both going through their own hardships, but they never thought twice about helping a friend.”


My mind flashes back to one of the conversations Mel and I had the night she was waiting at hospital for word on Gus. “Oh my God! The men’s magazine,” I whisper, but she heard me and nods smiling.


“Yeah. Part of my earnings from that spread helped me to help Jeff, as well  as paying the rest of my tuition that year. As for Ted, he budgeted the money and set up the very first investment for Jeff, so that he would have a residual income outside of what little we were able to give him from our savings at the time. I’d say it was time well spent.” 


“Well it certainly is a pleasure to be in the company of such a legend,” Emmett says, much to the agreement of everyone else in the place. “Teddy, I can’t believe you kept this from me.”


Jeff chuckles, but says, “Don’t be too hard on him…”


“Emmett… Emmett Honeycutt.” And he smiles that bright smile that is quintessentially Em, as Jeff reaches out to shake his hand.


“I’ve heard a lot about you. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Emmett.” 


“I wish I could say the same. Who knows? Perhaps, I could have talked Teddy into a trip where we could have met and become much better acquainted.”


Brian tsked, brushing his index fingers together as if to cause Em some mock shame. Which is actually pretty funny because honestly, Em has no shame; kinda like me, when it comes to getting the things he wants or so desperately needs. Sure, we each have boundaries that we won’t cross, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? But whereas Em has learned that lesson in spades over the years, it’s something I have to remind myself of everyday. I suppose that kind of fierce determination is something I will learn to own the way Em and Brian do.


But I have to say, I’m certainly not off to a bad start. 



Brian continues to tease Em, “Ooh, Honeycutt, are you flirting? I think a specific someone would have a whole lot to say about that.”


“Oh hush, you.” Emmett blushes and I can’t help but grin at the flustered look on his face. Although I have to say that I was skeptical about Em having to live in the closet- so to speak- for Drew’s career, he seems to be thriving much better than any of us in the know thought he would. I mean, Em is just so open, and fun… he’s pure light, love, and laughter. But it seems that his covert love affair is just enhancing those qualities within him.


“No… But in all honesty, I think I’m standing in the company of a legend myself. Actually TWO of them,” Jeff says, and then winks directly at me and Brian. 


“Well within the advertising business, they certainly are becoming known as such. And I’m pretty sure that once you and I have a chance to really speak to them about what’s happened this morning, you’ll find that they are the most talented spin doctors you’ve ever met, regardless that they are considered newbies in Hollywood,” Mel answers him, but I can tell, even before he retorts that he’s not talking solely about our professional reputation.


Jefferson nods, smirk firmly in place even with the seemingly innocent look on his face. “That’s true. I know that DeMarcus has spoken to some of the studio execs and has had nothing but great things to say about these two. But my reference is of a much more… uh, intimate nature.”


And I can see the exact moment that Brian picks up on what Jeff is talking about, even as I feel the blush staining my cheeks. “You’ve got to be shitting me? You were there? You?”


“Yep. ME. Although, I was in the area highlighted Masquerade.”


“But on the record you were…”


“That’s right. It pays to have a twin-looking cousin, who is also your stunt double and one-hundred percent... straight. Thankfully, Troy is used to being mistaken for me, even from the time when we were kids. So he might as well get paid for it. The irony is that the man I’m involved with is actually a twin, but there’s no way he’s going to be able to hide behind his brother, since he’s pretty high-profile, too. But again, we’ll talk about that in a little bit.”


Emmett frowns for a brief moment before looking directly at me and Brian. “You mean to tell me that you were at the party where Brian and Justin were…”


“Cooking,” I cut in quickly, shooting a look over to my mother and grandparents, who are just wayyy too interested in this conversation for my peace of mind.


“Well according to my sources, the dishes were certainly tasty.” Jeff grins, deviously. It’s so obvious that he’s enjoying my discomfort. And he’s not the only one.


Daphne laughs and whispers, “Well, that’s certainly a euphemism to get behind, since according to Jag, you two were definitely HOT; burning, even. I do believe that I even heard the term incidendiary leave Jag’s mouth as he continued to sing the praises of a certain well-developed dish.”


She gives me a contemplative once over and I want to kill her. I mean, she’s not exactly being subtle with the continued innuendoes. I can’t wait until the shoe is on the other foot with Daph; hopefully sooner rather than later. After all, I have loads and loads of good-natured payback to indulge in. Deciding to change the subject while I still have a modicum of false privacy left, I say, “So, court went well, huh? How good?”


Mel snickers. “Nice way to take the heat off of you two… for now. But in reference to your question, Baby, it went excellent! I have a feeling that even now, Vance and Ryder are having quite a time combining their efforts to do damage control. All I can say is that they should have heeded Brian’s warning, because now, Spitzer Pharmaceuticals is significantly poorer than they were when Moronic Morton woke up this morning. We just finished settling everything with the other clients, and now… well, we need to talk.”


Brian clears his throat, before turning to Harry Donaldson. “You’ve spoken to her?”


“Yes, and she’s agreed,” he answers, while the rest of us stand in curiosity.


“What? What has Mel agreed to?” Mom asks the question on all our minds. Well everyone’s except Brian, who just happens to be standing there with a cat who ate the canary smile.


Harry answers for Mel, with such obvious pride that it makes my own heart skip a beat for a moment. “She’s agreed to head up our merger with the office of a dear friend of mine, who is retiring. It will expand the clientele of Donaldson, Vasquez, and Marcus into unchartered territory, but we have every faith in Mel that she can make the transition happen smoothly while showing everyone on the west coast just why we are about to be named the best firm in the country.”


“Oh shit! That means that you didn’t only win the case, you…” I say but peter off in shock, disbelief, amazement, and awe.


“Just catapulted both the firm and herself into a height that most attorneys only dream of,” Gabe interjects. “I have to say that even I’m envious to a small degree. That was a dream case, no matter the extensive work it took to win. Fighting injustice on any level is why most of us opt for a career in law.”


“And I’m happy to have done it. That asshole needed to be taken down. Vance and Ryder will really have their work cut out for them trying to defend the indefensible with this guy. There really isn’t a way you can spin a discrimination lawsuit,” Mel advises.


“So I guess you’re going to be looking for a place to live. Any idea what area you want to reside in?” Mom asks, already back in business mode. “I’m still working on my national certification as a Broker, but I have amassed quite a list of contacts from clients looking to relocate out of state while keeping Pennsylvania as their homebase.”


“I’ve never been to L.A. Heck, I don’t even know where the office is located. Harry?”


“It’s not that far from where I understand Brian and Justin’s offices will be, but the area is a little less Metro… well, as much as that is possible considering how close to Tinsel Town you’ll be located,” he answers.


“Mel, if it’s any consolation, Brian and I are in the same sort of predicament, The only saving grace we have right now is that DeMarcus is letting us use both of his residences, one in the heart of Los Angeles, and the other in Malibu, until we find something that suits us. My advice would be to let Mom put your house here on the market and see if there are any short term leases available there. That way, you’ll already begin to establish yourself in Cali, with work and whatever new certifications you may have to take. In addition, you’ll be able to look for the right place at your leisure instead of having to divide your time between here in the Pitts and there.. Plus Brian and I will be there so there’s no reason to worry about Gus while you’re looking,” I offer.


“What Sunshine says makes sense,” Brian sanctioned. “We have a couple of meetings here over the next few days, but then we’re heading back. That should give you enough time to close up the house, and get any other shit in order.”


She nods in reference to what Brian said, but most importantly what he left unsaid. Lindsay. I look over to Mel, looking for any remnant of sadness at the fact that her relationship has officially crashed and burned in one of the most spectacular fashions ever. And whereas there is some melancholy, the look in her eyes conveys relief and excitement for this new start more than anything else. Her next words confirm my thoughts.


“Jennifer, how soon can we list the house?”


“Let’s go there now, and take a look at it,” Mom says. “I should be able to let you know based on what we find there. And when we’re done with the initial walk-through, we’ll deal with the first order of business…”


“Which is?”


“Shipping all of Lindsay Peterson- or should we call her by her heretofore unknown alias of Mrs. Lindsay Kinney’s- belongings to her true lodgings of 1225 Sherbrook Lane.”


“Why does that address sound familiar?” Brian asks.


“Because it’s the current home of Lindsay’s hell.” The glint and malicious gleam in Mom’s eyes announces the residence before the words even leave her lips. “It’s her childhood home.”


Mel and Brian laugh. “Quite befitting, don’t you think?” Mel asks.


“Well, when you throw a temper tantrum, it should be up to your parents to correct you. And since Nancy couldn’t be bothered to do so to Lindsay when she was a small child, let’s see what she’ll do with the full-grown brat she’ll have on her hands now.”


I can’t help but laugh, probably harder than anyone. Because while I’m having my own revenge on that loose-lipped lizard, Ronald, my mother will be teaching Nancy a lesson in parenting very publicly. And what sucks for them is that there will be absolutely no way to get out of the humiliation Lindsay’s idiocy is going to cause them, especially since Duane called Gramps to report what else they found at Mel’s house. Turns out that Lindsay’s other residence was meant to be a hideaway of sorts. Not only so she could come down from her high in relative privacy, but because another professor at Carnegie had found out about the deal she was trying to strike up with Gui when she was going to marry him for a green card.


As I’ve said, with Lindsay, the obvious motive often covers the truth of matters. Her little act of subterfuge was meant to provide her a place to avoid prosecution… and Melanie. In an effort to make the impending marriage between Lindsay and Gui look real, the idiot had given the Frenchman all the codes to her personal accounts, and subsequently, Gus’. I hate to think what would have happened if Brian and Mel hadn’t come to the RIGHT conclusion about limiting Lindsay’s access to Gus’ account when the two munchers had gotten back together. 


“So Lindsay was being blackmailed?” Emmett asks, but Gramps shakes his head.


“No. She was being warned of what would happen should she have actually gone through with marrying Gui. Lindsay wasn’t the first person he’d run that particular scam on, but she was the first one who had a child. Unfortunately, the warning had come too little, too late, since Gui had already begun to move money from her accounts to an offshore account. And there’s no way to recoup the money; hell, his name isn’t even Gui! He obtained the job with fake information, but because the university was so short-staffed at the time, they never did the full background check. 


“So when Brian and Melanie decided to take her off the accounts, Gui couldn’t get any more money, which is a variation on what happened with the target before Lindsay, who just happened to be Pricillia Banks sister-in-law.” 


“So Melanie getting back with Lindsay happened just in time for her, because Gui was never going to leave Lindsay alone until she gave him more money, and if that didn’t happen, he was going to find a way for Lindsay to lose her job anyway,” I interject. 


“Oh my God! Such an opportunistic little… So that’s why she was so hellbent on marrying Brian!” Daphne exclaims, and whereas everyone else is a bit puzzled by it, I’m not.


“Yeah, it is, Daph. Because Brian wouldn’t have only given into Lindsay’s deep-seated fantasy, but he would have saved her the very public humiliation of being scammed. In addition, she could have used her dating Brian as her alibi against Gui’s advances, thereby proving him a liar. I mean, if you have Brian Kinney, why would you go looking for love with someone who is distinctively, unequivocally, NOT him?”


“You wouldn’t,” she confirms. “So what do we do now?”


Gabriel cleared his throat. “You all go on with your plans, business as usual. Justin, you need to be on your way to your newly acquired electronics store. I’ll get with Julian and start working the purchasing contracts and subsequent merging of Thortons Bookstore and Buzzy’s Comic World. In fact, do you want the businesses combined before you purchase both businesses, or immediately afterwards? Either way, you’ll be paying fair market value, so it really is about which way is more convenient for you at this point, Justin.”


I think about that for a moment. “Since both properties are going to be filed as short sales, I suppose it’s fine to keep them as is. The only thing I’m requesting is that if there are any employees currently on their individual payrolls, they be compensated immediately out of the store’s current finances. That way, I technically will take over the administrative portion of the business with a clean slate. Also, while the stores are being renovated, I want whatever staff is willing to stay on after I’ve acquired them to take whatever vacation time they had stored up under their former employers’ if they haven’t already. I don’t want anyone who isn’t on the construction crew inside the store, especially with the specs I’ll draw up tonight. If I’m not mistaken, Wertschafters is the accounting firm on both their records.”


“That’s true,” Ted confirms. “So I’ll call Steve Berry, who was in charge of their accounts. Thankfully, none of the current chaos surrounding the firm would have extended to the two smaller accounts, so the financial records should be easy to obtain. As long as they aren’t overextended on their overhead costs, Irma and Buzzy shouldn’t have any issues in doing as you’ve asked.”


“Good,” I say in response. I’m already feeling the antsiness of getting the hell out of here before Michael and Lindsay’s next round of stupid pet tricks has a chance to surface. I look to Brian then. “Am I forgetting anything?”


“No, Sunshine. I think you have just about everything well in hand… except me at the moment.”


I smile wide at the innuendo. “Well, let’s not neglect you then. Shall we?” I ask, turning to head to the restrooms at the back of the Diner.


“Justin, shouldn’t you be… You can’t possibly mean to…” My mother starts and then snaps her mouth shut, unable to speak her suspicions aloud.


“Of course, Mom. Brian and I will continue as we mean to go on.” And although Mom looks scandalized along with my grandparents, many of the rest of the occupants in the place look decidedly relieved.


That’s right, boys and boys. Although Brian and I are as committed as any heteronormative couple, we will work together. But more importantly, we’ll PLAY together, and when we’re in town, some of you will reap the benefits. That thought fills me with so much anticipation that Brian is about to get the blow job of his life to date. And he knows it, too. I stop in front of him before entering the small bathroom that has seen some of everything, except brighter days. “Come on, old man. I’m going to need the strength only you can give me to deal with everything.”


“And later?”


I lower my voice to the husky purr so evident of my arousal that he knows so well, before stage-whispering against his lips. “You’ll get to fuck it all out of me again to leave me insensate. And unsensible, yet still at my core, as insatiable as only you can make me.”

 

I pull back briefly to look into his eyes, letting the images passing through my mind speak volumes into his. Brian smiles as wide as I’ve ever seen him do, and there is no cap on my pride then… nor the good-natured, but envious looks being directed our way with everyone knowing beyond any doubt that he only smiles that particular smile for ME. And that’s only one of the reasons Brian is hooked on me. As for the rest… well, they’ll just have to stay tuned to find out.