- Text Size +

Chapter 10 


Oh god, my head hurts.  Where am I? Brian opened his eyes and saw stars.  He blinked thinking there was something in his eyes before he realized he was looking at an open expanse of sky.  He slowly tried to sit up and there were lots of sore spots but everything seemed to be working Slowly the accident came back to him.  Oh god! Sunshine!”


“Justin!  Where are you? JUSTIN!” He saw a figure a short distance from him but it was too dark to see if it was Justin or Jax.  He started to move downward when he heard something above him.


“Brian, I’m over here. I can’t move.  I don’t know why.”


“Keeping talking.  I can’t see you.” Brian tried to figure out where the voice came from.  Eventually he figured out the direction and carefully worked his way over to him. It was so dark and the ground was so bumpy it took him a while to make his way up the hill to the spot Justin laid.  


“I’m so cold, Brian.  Is it cold out here? Do you remember what happened?”  Justin’s thoughts popped out very disjointed. 


Finally, Brian could touch him. “Oh, Sunshine, you are shivering so badly.  Oh god, Sunshine!” He kissed him and Jusitn tried to turn but cried out in pain.  “What is it, Justin?”


“My leg.   I think it is stuck under something.  It feels so heavy and it really hurts. And I am so cold.”


“I’m going to go check on Jax and see if I can find a blanket.”


“I don’t think he made it.  I woke up before it got dark and he never moved. He just laid there.  I couldn’t see you but I could hear you breathing.”


“Well, let me find something to warm you up.  I will be right back.” Brian had lots of aches and pains but other than a finger, which he was sure was broken, he was alright.  He couldn’t see what was wrong with Justin but he was afraid it was serious. He managed to find a sleeping bag and brought it back to Justin and covered him.  This time he moved enough to see that Justin’s leg was not at a natural angle. He couldn’t see how bad it was but his leg was definitely broken. He tucked the sleeping bag around him and then moved back to see if he could reach Jax.  When he got down far enough to touch Jax he could tell he had been dead for a while. Brian really wanted a flashlight but debris was spread out and he couldn’t find one. He did manage to find a bottle of water and he brought that back up to where Justin was and gave him a swallow and took a drink himself. He then moved under the warmth of the bag and gently pressed his body against Justin’s to help him warm up.  Brian kissed him and put his arm under Justin’s head for a pillow before they both passed out or fell asleep until the sun was up. “I love you, my darling Sunshine,” he said as he tried to relax. He fell asleep as the sky began to lighten in the east.


Brian woke up to a sound he first couldn’t identify.  Then, he realized it was Justin making a sound that was a cross between crying and moaning.  “Justin, what can I do for you?” The words were out of his mouth before he even opened his eyes.  He looked up and saw the sun was up and it was getting very warm quickly.


“Brian, my leg, it’s really messed up.  I,” Justin tried to move a bit and cried out from the pain that shot through him.  “Are you hurt?”


“My finger is broken.  I’m hoping you can pull it back in place for me but other than that just scratches and bruises.   I am going to move so your head will be going down,” he slid his arm out and sat up slowly, feeling every one of those scratches and bruises. He got to his feet and moved around to the other side of Justin.  Brian couldn’t see exactly how badly the leg was damaged but the angle it was bent, he knew it was bad and the amount of blood that had come through the fabric of his pants.


“What does it look like?  I haven’t tried to sit up since last night.”


“I’m not going to lie to you.  It isn’t good. I am going to go see what I can salvage from the jeep and I will see if I can figure out how to create some shelter. As he started to stand, Justin grabbed at Brian’s shirt.  Brian bent and gave him a long, sweet kiss. “I will just be a few feet away. If you need me, call me. I will be right back,” with that he moved back and then stood and walked down the hill toward the wreck and the body of their new friend.  He couldn’t help but think about his young son and his mother, waiting for Jax to come home but he never would and then for a split second he let himself wonder if they would be returning home and he thought about their kids and grandkids. No, he couldn’t do that.  He had to focus on what was important now. He needed to find supplies and get Sunshine out of here. He wished he knew where ‘here’ was.


After collecting a couple bottles of water and some protein bars Brian moved back up to Justin.  He moved a rock closer to Justin and after cushioning it with the sleeping bag he moved it close enough Justin was able to sit up a bit leaning against it.  “Sunshine, I need to go back down and...I know Jax had a knife and I think we are going to need that and then I should probably figure out a way to bury him or we may get company we don’t want.”  


Brian started piling things they could use near the Jeep.  He was glad that most of the water supply Jax had in the jeep seemed to have made it, although some of them were leaking and he was happy to find a couple of intact bottles of wine and a bottle of whiskey.  He found quite a few protein bars and a few cans of vegetables. He started realizing that he could drape the tent over the jeep frame for a decent shelter but he hated thinking about making Sunshine move down here.  He went back up to check on Justin and used one of the other sleeping bags to provide shade from the sun.  


“Brian, I am in so much pain.  You need to look at it. I…”


“I know.  I need to go get Jax’s knife to cut your pants.” Brian bent down and kissed Justin.  I am so sorry. If I could do….” he kissed him again and went back down the hill. He approached the body and could tell how broken it was.  He couldn’t bring himself to look at his face. He tilted Jax’s body so he could get into his pocket He found the knife he was looking for and at the last moment he carefully took off the pouch Jax wore at his waist.  Brian knew he had a picture of his girlfriend and son in there so he thought she might like it, if they got out. When he was picking up the first aid kit, he heard Justin scream. He propelled himself forward up the incline to where Justin laid. 


Justin was talking incoherently.  Pain was etched on his face. Brian could see he had tried to roll over, probably to pee but the pain was too much for him to take.  Brian cradled his head in his lap and stroked his face. He slowly poured a little of the whiskey down his throat. He saw Justin swallow it and then his eyes focused on Brian. 


“I am going to cut your pants above the knee so I can look at your leg.” Brian pulled a scissors from the first aid supplies and started cutting at the hem and worked his way up the leg.  As he got to Justin’s knee, he could see he was nearing the injury. The leg had more blood now and as he cut a little further, Brian had to turn away and swallowed hard a couple of times.  He took a deep breath and turned toward his job. He cut the pants up a little higher and then spread the material open. Brian rushed away and threw up a few steps away.


“That bad?” Justin questioned.  He seemed more focused again.  


“Like I said earlier, I won’t lie to you.  It is a compound fracture. The bone has broken through the skin but it isn’t bleeding anymore.”


“Brian, you have to try to set it.  If you don’t…. There is no option. You have to set it.”


“Justin, I am not a doctor.  I could do more harm than good. What if I tear something I shouldn’t.  What if …”


“Darling, you have to get it straight or as straight as possible and then you can find something to splinter it with.”


“God, Justin, I am not made for this...I just can’t...Oh, hell, I’m going to go down and set up a shelter for us by the jeep.  Drink this,” he handed him the whiskey. “Keep sipping on it. You are going to want to either pass out or at least forget everything. I’ll be right back, Sunshine.”


Brian worked as quickly as he could covering the framework of the Jeep and then made a bed out of anything soft.  He had no idea what time it was but the day was slipping away quickly. He knew he didn’t have time to take care of Jax today but he couldn’t leave the body so close to them.  He drug the body several yards away and partially covered it with rocks and other natural debris he found. He powered his way back up the hill to where Justin half laid, half sat.  


“Bri, where ya been? I don’t think I need anymore.  I feel much better, I….” Brian took hold of the upper part of Justin’s leg with one hand and he put the other hand below the injury.  Simultaneously, he moved both of his hand, lining up the leg in the correct position for his hip. Brian was glad he felt the hip pop back into the correct spot.  “Aaahh,” Justin moaned.


Brian looked through the first aid kit and found a booklet in it.  He flipped through it and found it covered a lot of medical situations.  He quickly skimmed through it and found directions for a compound fracture.  The first thing it said was not to try to set it but it also said to call for help and he couldn’t do that. “Oh, Sunshine, I don’t know what to do.” He took a deep breath and started looking at the wound closely.  Yes, the bone had come through the skin but it appeared to be a fairly clean break and he couldn’t figure out a way to stabilize it at the current angle plus there were too many chances for infection out here. Brian slipped on some gloves that were in the kit and wiped at them with alcohol swabs.  He looked at the wound and he knew he had to see the bone better. He took out Jax’s knife and cleaned it the best he could, setting it down on a clean bandage he had taken out. He took a swallow of the booze himself and then he stuck his fingers in the wound to feel the bone. Justin screamed in pain but Brian had to ignore it.   He left one hand on the broken bone as he slowly pulled on the lower part of Justin’s leg. He felt the bone move a little. Justin cried out again but then went limp.


Brian gave the leg one more small tug and stared at it praying there wasn’t major bleeding. There was definitely blood but not like there would have been if he had damaged a main artery. Brian dropped back on his ass and let out the breath he didn’t realize he was holding.  Brian flooded the wound with alcohol that was in the first aid kit and then he wrapped the open area and then he splinted the leg wrapping tearing some of Jax’s clothes into strips to tie the splints in place. He picked Justin up carefully and carried him down to the makeshift  shelter. Justin groaned as Brian set him down. Once Brian had collected the items from where Justin had been he walked back down to the Jeep. One of the seats from the jeep was sitting outside where Brian had set it. He collapsed into it and sobbed. What was he going to do next?



Brian wasn’t sure how long he had slept but he woke up when he heard his name being called. “Brian, I’m thirsty. May I have some water, please?”


“Oh, sure, Sunshine.” Brian stood up and stretched.  He got a bottle of water from the supplies and brought it over to him.  He helped him sit up and opened the bottle for him and brought up to his lips.  Brian’s hands started trembling as he held it there.


“Bri, are you alright?  You don’t look so good.”


Brian dropped down next to Justin.  Justin sat up and wrapped his arms around Brian who openly cried at the feel of his love’s arms around him.  He wasn’t made for this. He just didn’t have the genes to be the caregiver. Justin touched his cheek and kissed him.  Brian could taste the alcohol on his lips but the feel of the parched lips on his nearly took his breath away. When Justin’s hand moved into his lap, Brian sighed   They separated after a few moments and Justin tried to find a comfortable position. Brian saw the pain shoot across his face.


“What can I do for you, Sunshine?  How can I make you feel more comfortable?  Is the pain coming back?”


“Trust me the pain never left but it does feel better.  It is duller now with fewer sharp pains but I could use another swig of….”


“Sorry, darling, but no more alcohol unless it is much worse.  We have to keep it in case we need it later.”


“Brian, you fixed it, didn’t you?”


“Well, I hope I stabilized it without making it worse. Now how can I make you more comfortable?”


“Can you find something to help prop me up a bit and do we have anything to eat here?”  Brian moved a couple things behind Justin and helped him sit up a bit more.


“That’s much better,” Justin sighed as he drank most of the bottle of water.  Brian looked through the supplies and came back with some of the bread they had the last night with Jax.  


“This isn’t nearly as fresh as it was but it won’t get any fresher.”


“Brian, how are we doing for food?”


“Well, we aren’t going to eat like kings but we have enough food for a few days and I will go out tomorrow and see if I can find any of those berries we had the other night but as for hunting wild game, thankfully we haven’t seen much of that close by but I have seen a kangaroo or something like that not too far away.  But I have no idea how we would get one of those and if I happened to get one, what would I do with it? I have never done anything like that.”


“We won’t be here that long will we?  Someone will come looking for us.”


“Ya, sure they will,” as they ate the bread and a little jam he found, he wondered if that was true.  He remembered once Jax saying something about taking his own route. He wondered how different that was then the route they expected him to take.  But Justin didn’t need to know that, not right now. The sun was sinking quickly now. Brian needed to get something to burn in the fire for the night. “Here, Sunshine, why don’t you finish this,” he handed the rest of the bread to Justin.  “I have to get fuel for a fire. I will be back in just a few minutes. If you need me,” he handed the blow horn they had used at the hot springs, “Just blow this for a couple of seconds. I won’t be far.” Brian touched Justin’s cheek and kissed him before walking away.   What if he had lost him? Brian couldn’t bear to imagine it.


Brian was back in a half hour and Justin was asleep.  Last night he had made noises of discomfort. Now he laid quietly with  a peaceful look on his face. Brian’s cock twitched and his heart nearly exploded.   As he built a fire he thought about the kids. He was sure Brinn and Gus were crazy by now.  He hoped Dan was looking into their disappearance by now. Dan would have connections. He wondered what day it was.  He knew the accident was on Wednesday but was it Thursday or Friday by now. Maybe he didn’t even have the day of the week when they left.  They had changed time zones so many times in the last few weeks, he really didn’t know anything anymore except that the sun rose in the east and set in the west.


“Brian are you there?” Justin called. 

“Just around the corner, Sunshine.”  It had gotten dark as Justin had slept and Brian sorted through the food, trying to figure out how long they could survive on what they had.  He found 27 protein bars as well as a few cans of meat and some canned fruit and vegetables. He guessed they would have enough food for a couple weeks if he ate very little.  He wasn’t sure the water would last that long.


Brian moved around the corner so Justin could see him.  He had opened one of the cans of meat and took out half of it.  He put the remainder of it in a cooler that was no longer cold but would keep the heat of tomorrow out of it.  They couldn’t afford food poisoning but they also couldn’t afford to eat a whole can at one time. Brian warmed the meat in the fry pan on the fire and opened some crackers and a can of peaches.  He gave them each a few slices of the peaches and put the remainder of the can in the cooler with the meat. Just as he started to take the meat off the fire they heard first one dingo and then a whole pack of them. Brian had to admit it made him very nervous but he ignored it and moved into the shelter with the two meager plates of food. 


It was obvious there was less food on Brian’s plate than Justin’s.  “Brian, why do you have less than me?”


“I snooped while I was making it. Sorry, I couldn’t wait.” He set them down next to Justin and helped him reposition before handing him the plate.  He sat next to him and picked up his plate. They ate in silence as they listened to the dingos in the distance. As they finished Brian opened a bottle of water and took a sip but then passed it on to Justin.  Justin took a swallow and tried to pass it back to him. “I don’t need more right….”


“Brian, drink.  If you don’t take care of yourself, who is going to take care of me?”  Brian reluctantly took the bottle back and took another sip put the lid back on it.  He moved next to Justin on the side of his uninjured leg. He moved until they were both fairly comfortably.  


“You comfortable? Do you want your leg propped up or anything?”


“I’m fine.  Baby, do you think the kids know we are missing?”


“I am sure they do by now.  I am glad they both are settled. I mean they have Shelby and Zach, well, and Seth.”


“What if I never get to meet the new baby? What if…”


“Sunshine! Don’t say that!  You are going to make it back home.  We both are. Justin I know we can’t make love but I want to love you.  Let me know if you want me to stop but I just need you.” Brian unbuttoned Justin’s shirt and started kissing his chest.  He moved downward and Justin’s back arched.


“Oh, god, Brian.  That feels so amazing! I…” Brian’s hand slipped into his pants and began to stroke him while Justin sighed, “Please, Brian, I want to feel you.”  In moments he cried out, partly from Brian’s attention and partly because he put pressure on his leg. 


Brian moved back up and held him close.  “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that. It hurt you.” 


“Brian, never apologize for loving me. I will always need you to love me.”  With that Justin snuggled against Brian and fell asleep.


Brian dozed but never let himself fall into a deep sleep.  The dingos seemed to come closer but he never actually saw them but he was sure he heard their footfalls from time to time. 



And so time continued on.  They got into a bit of a routine.  Once Justin woke up, Brian would help him out of the shelter and let him take care of his bodily functions.  He gave him a little privacy but was never more than a few steps away. After helping him back to the shelter, he would get Justin a protein bar.  He tried not to be in Justin’s view as he ate because he knew Justin would realize that he was eating the same bar he had been eating the last three days.  He made sure Justin ate one every morning but he ate very little of his. Brian would then rebandage Justin’s leg. He had ripped up most of Jax’s clothes to use as bandages.  He continued to use a little alcohol every day, trying to keep it clean without access to water for cleaning.


It had been over a week since the accident  After five days Justin had moved around a little with a makeshift crutch but by day 10 he wasn’t moving much. They hadn’t said anything but they both knew the leg was infected.  Brian unwrapped it and there was a smell coming off of it now. Brian leaned forward and kissed his forehead. He instantly knew Justin had a fever. “Damn,” Brian said under his breath. “Sunshine, this isn’t good.” Brian glanced down at the wound again and then dashed out the door. It was so swollen and the infection made it throb.


Justin heard him throwing up outside. He reached over to where Brian had laid the knife and grabbed it along with the bottle of whiskey. After taking a big swallow of it, he sliced his leg with the knife and then he emptied the bottle on his leg.  The scream he let out had Brian running back in. Justin couldn’t control his body. Spasms of pain had taken over him as the wound oozed.


“Oh, Sunshine, what have you done?” Brian dropped to the ground next to him and wrapped his arms around him from behind and held him.  The noises coming from Justin ripped at Brian’s heart. What was he going to do?



Tyler had landed in Darwin a week after Brian and Justin had gone missing.  He met up with an old friend of Dan and the tour organizer. Along with the locals, they set up a grid search.  The first day out, Tyler realized how vast this area was. After the first day of searching, Tyler called Molly.  How could he tell her her beloved big brother may not be alive. It just seemed hopeless when you were out in the wilderness.


“Hey Taylor, I miss you so much,” Tyler purred into the phone.


“Oh, Tyler, I miss you, too.  Is there any word on…” he heard her voice crack.


“Oh, I wish I could tell you something new but we haven’t seen a trace. I’m  sorry, Mol. I will keep looking. How are the kids?”


“They are fine.  Paul was a little sad you couldn’t be here today for his track meet but he understands you are looking for Uncle Justin. Oh, Tyler….”


“I love you, Molly.”


“Oh, I almost forgot to tell you, Dan called to ask me if I knew what case you were working on.  Tyler, he needs to know. They have been best friends for as long as I can remember.”


“I’ll take care of it, Molly.  I will talk to Gus and see what he wants to do.  I need to call him anyway. He wanted me to catch him at the office before he left for a site.  I love you. I’ll call you in the morning, your bedtime. Kiss the kids for me.”


“I will Tyler.  Be safe. Love you.”


Tyler called Gus next.  How did you tell a young man his dads may not be found?  



Gus arrived at the office and went upstairs to Seth’s apartment.  He needed to be with someone when he talked to Tyler and he didn’t want it to be with Shelly if he heard the worst.  He tapped on the door and opened it, “Seth, are you here?”


“Gus?”  Seth came from his bedroom dressed in nothing but a towel. He saw the look on Gus’ face. “G, did you hear something?”


“No,” Seth stepped toward him and Gus flung himself into his arms. “Tyler will be calling in a couple minutes and I just couldn’t be alone….” 


Seth tightened his arms around Gus.  “I’m always here, G, as your lover but more importantly, as your friend.”


Gus tensed as the phone rang.  He pulled out his phone and he answered, “Tyler…”  Tyler heard the worry in Gus’ voice.


“Gus, we haven’t seen a trace of them.  I wish I could tell you something,” he filled Gus in on everything he had learned which wasn’t very much. “And, Gus, there is one more thing, Dan needs to be told.  He is starting to hound Molly about where I am and what the case is.”


“I’ll go see him,” Gus said. “He does need to know. I’ll take care of it, Ty….”  


Seth took the phone from Gus as Gus’ head dropped on his bare shoulder, “Tyler, it’s Seth.  I’ll go out with him if he wants me to. I’ve got his back.”


“Thanks, Seth.” Tyler went off to bed while Seth and Gus made a plan.  


Gus called Danny next.  He had to know if Dan was up to hearing this news.  “Hey Gus, what’s up?”


“Danny, how is Dan doing?”


“He’s fine.  Gus, did you hear from your dads?”


“No, Tyler is down there and Dan is haunting Molly, wondering where Tyler is.  I need to tell him.”


“You’re right, Gus.  He needs to know. Do you want me to come down?”


“No, I will make sure Marcus is home and if he looks stressed I will make sure he goes in.”


“Thanks, Gus.  I know you would never do anything that would hurt my dad and you’re right, he would be devastated if he didn’t know.”  They said goodbye and while Seth dressed, Gus called Brinn and filled her in. He left out the fact that Tyler was definitely worried they couldn’t be found. He made everything as positive as possible but he knew she knew he was holding something back but he also knew his little sister and that’s the way she would deal with it best.


Seth checked with Marcus and he said he would wait at home until they got there. It had been almost two weeks since Dan’s surgery and he was about done sitting around the house. Marcus strode into the home office where Dan was sitting. 

“You know you can’t keep me in this house any longer,” Dan commented a little irritatedly. 


Marcus pushed him backward and straddled Dan’s lap. “Am I really holding you captive?” Marcus pressed his hips into Dan’s and Dan sighed.


“Does this mean you are going to let me love you the way a man should love his husband?” Dan grabbed Marcus’ hips and yanked him close.  “Hannah left for school, right?”


“Yes, carpool picked her up.” Marcus sighed as Dan began to stroke him. “Oh, lord, are you sure you are up to it?”


Dan answered by unzipping Marcus’ pants and reached into the open fly. Marcus quickly unzipped Dan’s pants.  He knew they didn’t have much time before Gus got here but he wanted Dan and he knew Dan would need him. Marcus stood and turned his back on Dan before leaning over the desk.  Dan ran his hands over Marcus’ ass before bringing his mouth up to it. Dan’s tongue plunged in until Marcus begged for more and then in one swift move he was buried deep inside him. Dan took it slow not wanting  to overexert himself and not wanting to lose this feeling. He pulled Marcus up to him and held onto him tight. “I love you, Marcus Reeves.”


“I love you, Dan Reed, and I don’t ever want to lose you.” With that being said, Dan thrust once more and together they rode the waves of pleasure. Soon Marcus turned around not wanting to break the connection but knowing they would have company soon.


Gus had left Seth’s alone.  He knew he had to do this alone. As he drove up the long drive he started thinking about how he was going to tell him.  As he pulled up to the house he could see Marcus and Dan kissing through the window. He looked so happy. Thanks god for Marcus.


“Darling, Gus is here.”


“Gus is the guest you mentioned? Gus isn’t a guest, he’s family.”


Dan opened the door and let Gus in, giving him a hug. “Hey Gus, what do you hear from your dads? Do they ever have service?  I haven’t heard from them in a couple weeks? It was before my surgery.” Dan stopped talking and really looked at Gus. “What is it, Gussy? Sit down.”


Marcus got them each a cup of coffee and then sat down next to Dan and took his hand.  Gus hadn’t told him what was up but he knew it was serious. 


“Dan, actually, no one has heard from my dads.  They are missing in the outback of Australia.” Marcus and Dan each reached across the table and Gus took both their hands.  “We don’t know if they are alive or dead. That’s where Tyler went. He’s looking for them and I didn’t want to tell you because I couldn’t hurt you but I ….” Gus continued to ramble as tears began to roll down his cheeks as Dan walked around the table and, sitting next to him, Dan took him in his arms.


“You could have told me, Gus.  You should have told me.” Dan stroked Gus’ hair. “Oh, Gus, how is Brinn taking all this?”


“Brinn knows what she needs to know and she knows I am keeping some of it back but that’s what she needs right now.”


“Gus, ever since you were a kid you had to hold your family together, when the time arose and here you are again.  Gus, I can take it. I’m glad you told me,” he moved away from Gus a little bit. “I think you need to go home and spend the day with the beautiful wife of yours.”


“I think I might just do that,” Gus said as Dan gave him a hug.  Gus clung to him for a minute. Marcus took Gus’ hand and walked with him to the door.


“Gus, if you need anything let us know.  If you would like me to watch the kids, so you can have time alone….we’re here.”


“Thanks, Marcus.  Just take care of Dan.  Don’t let him get too upset over this.”  They kissed and Gus walked to his car and as he got in he heard it but he didn’t stop.  He turned the car and headed home to Shelby.


“FUCK!” Dan shouted as Marcus held him.


“Calm down, Darling, please,” Marcus held him close.  He guided him to the sofa and sat with him as Dan let it sink in.  Dan wasn’t used to feeling helpless but that was how he felt right now.



Brian held Justin until he passed out from the pain.  At least for a few minutes he was unaware of his agony. Brian was so hungry and so thirsty but he refused to take more than the minimum.  Justin needed everything he could have. As he drifted off himself, his mind wandered to the fact that there was a chance Justin wouldn’t survive.  If Justin didn’t make it, he would not leave this spot either.


Justin was unconscious more than awake for the next few days.  When he was awake Brian tried to get him to eat anything and drink water.  Justin temperature was soaring now. Brian was desperate to get it to go down.  He actually took Justin outside at night where the cool air seemed to help him sleep a little better and then he took a cloth and poured a little precious water on to it and laid it on his forehead.  Neither of them could go on long this way. He had totally lost track of time but he was fairly sure is had been two weeks since the accident. Dan had to be here looking for them. Dan could find them.  Brian dropped down next to Justin and held his hand as he felt the heat radiate off of him.



Life became a pattern for Tyler.  He would get up in the morning and call Molly before she went to bed. Then he headed out for all the daylight hours before coming back in time say good morning to the kids on a phone call and then he would talk to Gus and Dan, usually in a conference call before he went to bed  and in the morning he would start it all over again.



Brinn did her best to continue her normal life but by the second week she couldn’t go on.  One day an employee knocked on Zach’s office door. “Have you seen Brinn?” his coworker asked.


“Doesn’t she have that meeting? She’s not in the lab?”


“Well, ya, the guy is here for the interview and I went to the security room and tried to follow her badge swipes. The weird thing is it says she is still in the lab but…. The guy is not happy he has to wait.” 


Zach had gotten up and walked toward the door.  “I will try to calm him down. Brinn says we need him.  Go find Matty. Have him help look. He might be able to find her.”  Zach rushed off. As he did, he heard Matty being paged.


After Matty had talked to his coworker, he walked toward the lab and let himself in.  He then let himself into Brinn’s inner lab which very few people had access to. He didn’t see her from the door but he stood there for a moment and then he heard it. It was just a soft sniffle  He walked over to a lab table and then he found her. She was sitting on the floor, knees to her chest and arms tightly around them. Matteo dropped onto the floor next to her and gently he put his arm around her.  She let out a little cry of surprise but when she saw it was Matty, she rested against him and let the tears flow.


Matty didn’t say anything until he felt her calm down. He brushed her hair away from her face and then kissed his sister gently, pulling , “I wish I could make it better for you. I just can’t imagine that they won’t come back. They are smart and resourceful.”


“But they could have been killed instantly.  They could have have….Oh, Matty if one of them lived and one of them didn’t….” She started sobbing. Matty felt so helpless.  Why did women have to break your heart by just shedding a tear.


“Brinn, this isn’t going to help anyone.  When is the last time you ate? You haven’t been eating have you?  I can tell you haven’t. I am going to have George come over tonight and you are going to eat what he makes so what do you want?”


“I can’t eat.  I just can’t…” Zach walked in and Matty’s look said it all.  He came over and sat on the other side of Matty and nodded.  


Matty got up and moved to the door, “I am asking George if he is free.  Zach, make sure you drag her out of here at 6:00 and, Brinn, you are going to eat!” Matty rushed out of the room.  He couldn’t stand seeing her that way but the weight of what was going on was almost too much for him. Their family wouldn’t be the same if Brian and Justin were really gone.


Matty called George and set it up for him.to make dinner for Brinn and Zach but then he needed to see his dads. He needed a hug from them.  He needed to tell them how much he loved them and what good parents they were. He left the lab and went home. He was glad his dad wasn’t flying anywhere today.  That’s when it dawned on him. Brinn needed family. He called George back and told him there would be more people. George said he would make lots so whether there were 6 or 10 or 12, there would be enough food.


Matty walked into their home and he looked around, “Dad, you here? I need to talk to you.” 


“Hey, Matteo, you are early today.”  John took a step toward him and Matty threw himself into his Dad’s arms.  “Matty, what is it?”


“I love you, Dad.  I’m sorry I have been such a pain.  I love you and Papa and Jonna so much.” Tears were flowing now.  “Dad, what if Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin are really…” Matty couldn’t finish it. “Brinn is so sad and she isn’t eating.” John held onto his son tightly as his own emotions came to the surface.  He kissed Matty as he led him to the counter stools. 


Jonna walked in the door and saw her brother and dad hugging.  “What’s wrong? Did you hear something?” she rushed over to them.


“No, Jonnabug,” John pulled her into his arms and Matty kissed her forehead. “We were just talking about how much we love Uncle Brian and Justin and how sad Brinn is.”


“Can’t we do something for her?” Jonna dropped her head on John’s shoulder.


“There is, I think,” Matty said.  “George is making dinner for all of us at Zach and Brinn’s.  We can go eat there tonight, can’t we?”


“I think that is a great idea.  Miss Thing needs family now.”


“I thought we could ask Gus and Shelby over and maybe Dan and Marcus with Hannah?”


“Well, then we need to invite Molly and the kids and the grandmas over, too.”


“Jonna, you call Molly and see if they can come.  6:30.”


“Ok, Matty.” Jonna started moving away but Matty caught her hand.


“Jonna, you know I love you, right?”


“I love you, too, big brother.” She threw her arms around him and then was gone. 


“Dad, Papa will be on time tonight, won’t he?”


“Actually, I just texted him to come home early.  I will call Shelby and Peter. We should invite Dan and Marcus, don’t you think?”


“I will call there and then let George know how many are coming.”  Matty said.  


John’s phone began ringing as Matty walked away.  Dan and Marcus said they would be at Brinn’s at 6:30.  Matty hung out on the veranda of the house waiting for Tony.  Before the car came to a stop, Matty was at the car door. He opened it and his papa’s arms came around him.  “Ti amo, figlio


“Ti voglio bene, papà,” Matty’s Italian was very weak but he could tell his father he loved him in his native tongue.


“I hear we are going to Brinn’s for dinner.  Yes, it is time for family.”


By 6:30, Zach and Brinn’s house was full of people.  All the people that loved Brian and Justin the most were there for each other.  Brenda was helping George in the kitchen while Jenn hugged her grand and great grandkids.  Zach had slipped into their room to do his breathing treatment before they ate and Matty followed him.


“I hope I didn’t get too carried away. I just thought….”


Zach held up his hand as he finished with his machine and set it aside.  “I think this is the best thing for Brinn. I just can’t seem to get through to her.  She wakes up in the middle of the night crying out and when I try to talk to her she doesn’t respond.  The last couple of nights she wakes up holding her leg. She says she can’t stand the pain but then she wakes up completely and realizes she is fine.”


“Maybe time together will help.  Are you alright, Zach?”


“I’m fine.  I haven’t had a bad spell for a long time.  At least I’m not getting worse. That might be too much for her right now.”


The house was reserved but the love overflowed.  Even the kids didn’t fight. Jonna helped organize games with the younger ones. Matty roamed around, really wishing Cait was here.  He walked over to help George and Brenda. As Brenda brought more food to the table, George moved near Matty. “Matt, you alright?”


“George, I’m not asking for anything but, will you sleep at Stone House with me tonight?  I just don’t want to sleep alone.”


“Are you sure you don’t want to be with your family?”


“I need….please, George?”


“Sure, Matteo.”  George smiled at him as he brought more food out to the table.  


Tyler called Molly while they were still all together. He was just leaving for today’s search.  Each day that goes by had the search parties dwindling. Tyler didn’t tell them that but Dan knew the time to find his friends alive was nearly gone.  He spoke to Tyler for a few minutes and gave directions that he was to get daily reports now. Tyler let all of them know he would be out of service area for a couple days.  He and the man he was traveling with would contact search headquarters and someone would call Dan each day. Dan in turn would call Molly and the rest of the family. As Dan said goodbye, Tyler felt the weight on his shoulders but he would do anything for his family.  


Tyler and the head of the rescue team reviewed today’s search grid. Tyler knew they would be calling off the search in the next few days if they didn’t find anything. The route they were taking today was the farthest they had gone out.



Brian felt so alone.  Justin hadn’t been coherent for more than a few minutes at a time and he missed their conversations.  He would give anything for just one more conversation with him, with one more night of the passion they shared for so many years.  Brian came back to reality when he heard some yipping outside the shelter. He tensed for a moment and then moved to the entrance. It was dusk but the fire had nearly gone  out while Brian had slept. He shouldn’t have let it get so low. As he moved toward the fire he kept one eye on the dingo that had gotten so close. After putting more fuel on the fire and seeing the flames getting stronger he realized the dingo wasn’t shying away. Could it be Doggo? The fact that the fire didn’t scare him made him fairly sure he wasn’t wrong.


“Hey, Doggo, wish I had something to feed you but I don’t have anything to feed us.  You know I could use some of your hunting skills if you wouldn’t mind. You see, Doggo, the person who taught me what love is probably won’t make more than a couple more days,” Brian couldn’t stop the tears as he talked to the shy canine. As Brian bared his soul, Doggo worked his way closer but as Brian moved inside to tend to Justin, Doggo disappeared. 


As Brian changed the bandage, Justin stirred, “Brian,” Justin’s voice wasn’t more than a whisper, “Bri, I can’t do this… can’t do this anymore.”


“Sunshine, I found a can of peaches.  I bet they will taste so good,” Brian used his fingers to break a bite off and slipped it into Justin’s mouth.  Brian fed him several bites and then helped him sit up a bit and let him drink out of the can. 


“Brian, kiss me,” Justin said as he opened his eyes. He reached up and stroked Brian’s cheek and guided his mouth to his own. Their lips met and Brian could barely take the intimacy.  His heart was shattered as he felt Justin drift off again but not before he said, “Brian, please, I can’t live like this. Please, kill me. It hurts so bad.” Justin drifted off again as Brian held him close. His heart was shattered.  He could never do what Justin asked but how could he let him suffer. Brian heard skittering outside and then a soft thud. He looked out and saw Doggo was back but beside the fire lay a carcass.


Brian moved out and realized the dead animal was a rabbit.  “You don’t happen to know how to cook this, do you?” Brian directed the question at the dingo. Brian had no idea what he was doing but he knew he had to get the innards out and the fur off.  Maybe if Justin could get some protein in him he could get stronger. He slit the animal open and thought only of Justin as he got rid of anything on the inside. He then took the knife, and although he knew he was losing some of the meat, he skinned it and then set it over the fire.


“Brian?”


“I’m here, Sunshine. Doggo brought us dinner.”  Brian turned the rabbit and moved back into the shelter for a moment.  “We’ll have a feast in a few minutes.”



Tyler and his companion were looking for a place to camp for the night.  On a satellite photo they had seen what looked like a good place to camp for the night.  As the spot came into view Tyler sighed. He knew they wouldn’t be here but somewhere in the back of his mind he had hoped.  As they set up camp for the night, Tyler noticed some footprints, “Hey, how long would footprints stay in view here?”


“Well, between rains.  As soon as there was a hard rain they would get washed away.”


“When was the last hard rain?  More than two weeks ago? Two months ago?”


“Can you find out when it was?”


“Sure, let me check.  Why don’t you use the radio to make your reports while I check on this?” By the time Tyler came back, his companion was very animated.  “Tyler, I think we are onto something. There was a hard rain here two days before your mates passed through here. I think this is where they stayed! I think we are on the right path!”