- Text Size +

Chapter 15


“Brian if that woman comes anywhere near me today I can’t promise what I will do or say to her.” Brian had to hide a hint of humor.  He knew it was a good thing Tammy had moved into Stone House right after Dana flew home. Tammy was a slave driver when it came to therapy and now, at the end of September, Justin had made great progress in his ability to move his leg but he was in pain and Brian knew when he needed a break.  “We have Gus’ birthday party tonight and I want to be able to enjoy it without shooting pain down my leg.”


He left the bedroom and called Tammy, “Good morning, beautiful.  How are you today?”


“Well, if you wait a few minutes,” Tammy said, “You could ask me in person.”


“Would it be a bad thing if Justin took a day off?” Brian made coffee while he talked.


“No, a day off, as long as he doesn’t just sit is good.  By the way, I was going to call you last night but it got a little late.”


“Oh, is it about Sunshine?”


“No, it’s Brinn. You have a reason to be concerned about her.  It isn’t the first time I saw her shaky but yesterday at 5:00 I went to her office and as I walked in I saw her swallow some pills.  She tried to make me think it was something for a headache but, Brian, I don’t think so. I discussed some of the research I had looked up for her and when I was ready to leave, thirty minutes later, she was so high I am sure she had no idea what I told her.  I drove her home and Zach helped me get her in the house. He tried to make some excuse that she gets migraines sometimes and her meds made her act like this. She was not on anything a doctor gave her.”


“Damn,” Brian said as he made the second cup of coffee. “Thanks for telling me but please, don’t mention it to Justin.  I will when the time is right.”


“Ok, I know I am not his favorite person right now. Have you heard about the storm that is moving in?”  It sounds like it is going to get really nasty,” Tammy commented as they both heard thunder.


“Well, be careful if you go into the lab.  The road up here can have landslides if we get too much rain.”


“I plan to check on Brinn and Zach and I will see what  their plans are for the day. I will connect with you after I talk to them.”


“Thanks, Tammy, I’m not sure what I would have done without you this month.  And now with the baby coming any minute…. Justin has made such great progress this month with your help.”


“Brian, are you bringing me coffee, or do I need to come get a cup?” Justin called from the bedroom.


“Don’t leave that bed.  I am coming.” back into the phone he said, “I better get back to Sunshine.  I know it isn’t any of my business but have you had sex yet? I mean in bed, the old fashioned way?”


“What are you telling me? Are you saying that his leg is up to some, um, repetitive movements?”


“Just don’t push him to any extreme positions but I think some gentle stretching would be perfect rehab for today.  I think he is scared, Brian. Spend the day in bed with him if you can. Talk to you later.”


Brian put the coffee and some fruit on a tray and walked back to the bedroom.  “Well, it sounds like the weather is going to keep us in the house today so I was thinking you and I could spend the day right here. Tammy is not coming so it is just the two of us.”  He set the tray down on the bed and they just looked at each other as they sipped coffee and ate some berries and split a banana.


Thunder crashed and their lights flickered. “I wonder if we should check on the kids?  Brinn has never been fond of storms and what if Gus already headed into town for work?” Justin worried.


“Well, Tammy is checking on Brinn and Zach right now.  Since she isn’t coming over here she was thinking about going to the lab all day.  I told her it might be smart if they all stayed on the vineyard today.”


“I’m going to call Shelby,” Justin sipped his coffee as he heard Shelby pick up.


“Hi Justin. Quite a storm we are having today.”


“We were wondering if Gus was home or if he already left for work?”


“Gus, went in early.  He said he had some office work to take care of but that translates to, he is with Seth.  I am keeping the kids home today. I don’t want them on a bus when this storm is moving through.  I will make them have classes here today.”


“How are you feeling, Shelby?”


“Nothing new on the baby front. I am just having  a hard time moving anywhere so it will be nice to have the kids here to fetch for me,” she laughed.


“Well, Brian and I will be here all day so if you need anything call us and I will send Brian over with whatever.”


“Thanks.  I…..oh, there go the lights. I’ll call you every couple hours while the electricity is off just to touch base.”


“Well, so far we still have…..never mind.  Ours just went out too. Talk to you in a couple hours and if they are still off, we will make work of getting the generator going. Give the kids hugs from us.”  Justin ended the call and as Brian cleared the bed of everything, Justin texted Brinn. ‘No power here. Stay home. Hope your generator is working’.


As Brian slowly pulled off Justin’s briefs a text came back.  ‘We are and it is, love you, Brinn’. Brian began on Justin’s calf on his injured leg and began massaging it.  “The generator is working so Zach can use his machines.” Justin sighed, “Oh, lord, that feels amazing.” Brian could feel some of the knots in Justin’s muscles.  When he got to the knee, he became more deliberate, being careful around the scars. He had learned over time what Justin liked, what hurt him, and what hurt but in a good way.


Brian was nearing Justin’s groin so he repositioned himself.   He was between Justin’s legs and leaned forward to kiss him. Justin’s hands moved to Brian’s head.  By the time they separated, both were flushed with want. “Sunshine, Tammy says you are ready. You know you are.  I know you are. What’s worrying you?” Brian stroked Justin’s cheeks as he looked into his eyes.


“You know how long it’s been. What if I’m not good at it anymore.  I will never be able to bend the way I used to. What if…”


“Justin, shut up.” Brian moved Justin’s good leg to his shoulder and moved his other leg up a little farther by placing his arm under the knee and then put his hand on the mattress even with Justin’s hip.  He looked deep into Justin’s eyes. “This alright?” Fear was obvious in Justin’s face but he nodded. “You trust me?”


“With my life,” Justin said with no hesitation.  


“Let me know if you are too uncomfortable.” With that Brian pressed inward.  It had been a week since Justin had felt like doing anything more than kissing and touching so Brian had to restrain himself. This was the angle, the positioned they found most intimate.  As Brian sank in and out he watched Justin’s face as he pressed down slowly. As the leg touched his own shoulder, Brian saw a little strain but he also saw what he thought was contentment just before he began to fight to hold back but as Brian bent over and kissed him and then looked directly into his eyes as he no longer held back. Together they moved to a higher plain where the world ceased to exist and as they exploded the whole house shook with thunder and lightning lit the sky.


Brian kissed him once more and rolled off Justin so he could relieve the strain on his legs.  Thunder again rolled over them and even the bed felt like it was shaking but after noise stopped the bed still trembled.  Justin rolled over and saw Brian had turned his back to him and it was him making the bed tremble. At first he thought he was laughing but as he took his shoulder and he rolled him onto his back he saw Brian was crying, no, sobbing really.  “

“Brian, what is it, baby?”  Brian grabbed onto him and put his head on Justin’s chest, now sobbing loudly.  Justin had never heard him cry like this. He held onto him, stroking his hair softly, “What’s wrong, Bri?”  


Brian tightened his hold on Justin and took a ragged breath. “That was so…” he took another shuddering breath.  


Justin kissed the top of Brian’s head, “Take your time. I’m not going anywhere.” He continued to run his fingers through Brian’s hair until he calmed down.  “What got you so upset? You aren’t afraid of storms.”


Brian started trailing his finger down Justin’s abdomen and then into his pubic hair.  “I, you know the day we were rescued, I had decided tonight was the night.”


“What night, Brian?”


“I was going to leave the knife…..I was going to let you kill yourself and then I was going to join you.  Sunshine, what we just had was ….. What if I had let you kill yourself? What if Tyler had arrived before I had finished myself off?  You wouldn ‘t be here and I … we … I love you so much and that was about as perfect as love can be and I almost had you end it. What was I thinking?”


Justin tilted Brian’s head up and saw the look of pain in his eyes, “Oh, Brian, you were going to do that for me?”

“How could I even think about doing that …. Letting you do that.”


“Brian, I can always count on you.”


“I don’t know if I can live with the fact,” Brian moved down a little lower and began slowly tracing the scar on Justin’s leg.  “My life would be over if it wasn’t for…. How could you ask me to let you die? I would have committed suicide twice that day.”


“I’m sorry, Brian.  I’m sorry I did this to you but now we can both…. Will you love me again?”


This time Brian turned Justin’s back to him and moved into him.  As the storm continued to move overhead, earth stood still as they again came together.”



Gus had left home before the storm hit.  He had work to do in his office before going to a worksite but when the sky opened up like it did he knew there would be no work going on at the build.  When the electricity went out, for a split second he thought about going home but then as the thunder crashed and he saw how hard it was raining he found himself going up the stairs and let himself into Seth’s apartment.  He began to undress as he walked back to the bedroom and as the lightning lit up the bedroom, Gus saw Seth laying on his back, bare chested in his bed.


Gus moved near without a sound and just as he got to the side of the bed the building shook with the thunder and before Gus knew what was happening, Seth threw Gus onto the bed and pinned him on the bed. As Seth pulled back his fist, lightning again lit up the room and he realized it was Gus. He lowered his fist and gently his hand glided down Gus’ side and then rested on Gus’ naked thigh.  As his hand moved to Gus ass, his mouth savagely claimed Gus’

 and then moved down lower until his mouth took Gus’ cock in his mouth. As he continued licking and sucking, Seth moved a finger deep inside Gus and as he drained him he moved a second finger in causing him to thrust upward and Seth took more of him in as Gus crashed along with the sky.


Moments later Gus lay in Seth’s arms. “You’re lucky I saw it was you. I didn’t expect you.” Seth kissed him once again and Gus laid his hand on Seth’s chest.


“I didn’t mean to surprise you.  I came in early to work in the office and when the store hit, I couldn’t work and I thought of you laying up here in this big, warm bed and I thought I could find worse ways to spend a stormy morning.”


After a long kiss Seth softly said, “Happy Birthday.”


“It has been a couple weeks since I’ve seen you and it has been a month since we….”


Seth softly said, “I’m not the one who stopped coming over.”


“I know, but I explained why.”


“ Yes, and I understand but, Gus, I love you.  I hate not being able to kiss you, touch you. I just miss you!”


“Are you coming to my party tonight?”  Gus pushed Seth back and straddled him.  He pinned Seth’s hands to the pillow and dropped kisses on Seth’s face. “Please, you know my family loves you.”


“I don’t think Shelby wants me there.”


“She knows I was here Labor Day and she was cool with it,” Gus slipped a condom on Seth and began to slowly sit back on his erection. As the storm raged outside the men made love over and over. 


Gus finally curled up next to him in exhaustion. The next thing he knew Seth was handing him his phone.  “Better answer it. It’s Shelby.”


Gus snapped awake.  He looked at the clock and saw it was nearly 10:00 in the morning.  From what he could hear, the rain hadn’t slowed but the thunder and lightning had calmed down.


“Hey, Shelby, I was about to give you a call.” Gus said.


“Gus, I am hoping you are at Seth’s but I need you to come home.  I think the baby is coming.”


“Oh, god, Shelly, are you alright?”


“Yes, it just started.  I am sure we have plenty of time but the road may not be a clear shot the way it has been storming.”


“I’ll be on the road in 10 minutes.”


“Gus, there is plenty of time.  Take a shower. I’d rather not smell Seth on you when you get here.  Drive carefully. It is very early in the process. I will call your dads  and let them know they will need to come for the kids.”


“Shelly, I love you.  I have four wheel drive.  I’ll make it.”


“The baby?”  Seth asked as he looked up into Gus’ anxious face. 


“Yes, I need to shower and get out of here.”


Seth pulled Gus down for one more kiss, “I love you,  G. Drive carefully.”



Brian and Justin lay comfortably in each others arms.  They had talked for a long time after Brian had opened up and then they had made love again both feeling better than they had in months.  Brian reached over Justin and grabbed his phone, handing it to him. “It’s Shelby.”


“Hey, Shelby, you and the kids doing alright without electricity?”


“Yes, I just wanted to let you know I will be needing you later.  I think I am going into labor. There is plenty of time. I just talked to Gus and he is coming home from town to get me.  I just wanted you to know I will need you for the kids.”


“Oh, Shelby, are you sure you don’t want us to come right now?” Justin squeezed Brian’s hand.


“No, if something changes I will call you.” Shelby hung up.


“Do you think the roads are passable?” Justin asked Brian.


“Gus has his truck, but maybe we should call the sheriff’s department and see if they have road conditions,” Brian suggested.


“I’ll do that.  Why don’t you call Tammy.  We never did hear anything from her.”


Brian called Tammy who answered right away, “Hey, Tammy, you doing ok in this wicked weather?”


“I am.  I’m catching up on my reading.”


“Did you see Brinn and Zach this morning?”


“I did.  They were heading for the bathtub.  That concoction she made for the bath water is amazing.  I have seen a lot of the reports that have come back saying it has worked wonders on other CF patients.”


Brian walked into the bathroom so Justin didn’t hear the next part of the conversation, “Did she seem sober?”


“Yes, but I have never seen her under the influence early in the morning. I am going over there later.  We are supposed to talk over some ideas and I can have a hot meal with them since I can only make something in the fireplace here.”


“Well, since I am talking to you, Shelby said she is in labor.  Gus is on his way home to take her to the hospital and we will be on grandpa duty.”


“Let me know if I can be any help.  It’s been a long time but I have delivered a few babies in my time.”


“Well, hopefully it won’t come to that but if it does, I am glad you are on the vineyard.”


“By the way, did you and Justin…”


“Oh, Tammy, thank you for letting me know. Let’s just say we are better than we have been in months.”


“I’m glad.  Call me if you need me.”  Tammy ended the call just as Justin rushed in. 


“ Hell, I just got off the phone.  I got transferred like six times and when I finally talked to someone who knew anything all they told me was the road was closed due to mudslides and they would not send anyone out until it quit raining.”


Brian was already calling Gus, he picked up quickly, “Pops, have you talked to Shelby?”


“Yes, where are you?” Brian could hear the tension in Gus’ voice.


“I am behind a barricade and they won’t let me through.  I have to get up there. I am going to go back down and see if the old back road is passable. With my pickup I think I should be able to get most of the way up.I can walk up the rest of the way if I need to.”


“And then what? How are you going to get her down?”


“Maybe if I can get close enough you could bring her down in one of the carts or…”


“See how far you can get but don’t be stupid.  Tammy’s a doctor and she is already on alert so Shelby won’t be doing this alone if you can’t get her down the mountain. Now hang up and drive carefully.”


“Thanks, Pops.  Can you go down to our place and see if Shelby or the kids need anything?”


“We’ll go down in a few minutes.  We need to shower but we will check on her.  Be careful. Love you, Gus. We both do. Oh, and happy birthday.”


The phone went dead as Justin walked up to Brian.  He used a cane in the house now but still used a walker everywhere else.  His leg was a little tired after the exercise they had today but it was a good kind of tired. “Was that Gus?”


“Yes,” he helped Justin undress and he walked into the shower sitting on the shower chair.  Brian joined him and began wetting Justin down with the hand held shower. “Gus is trying to get here but the main road is blocked.  He is going to back down to town and try coming up the back way but we both know that will take hours. We are going to head over to their house as soon as we are ready.  Thankfully, Tammy is at Stone House. She can come over and help if Shelby can’t go down.” Brian massaged Justin’s head from behind. Justin dropped his head back and felt Brian’s cock.  He carefully turned around and took Brian’s cock in his mouth. “I think we should leave this chair here forever.”



Zach and Brinn had spent part of the morning in bed and then taken a long hot bath.  By the time the bath was done Zach noticed Brinn couldn’t relax. After quickly dressing and pulling her hair back in a ponytail she told Zach she would put some lunch together and rushed to the kitchen ahead of him.  When he got to the kitchen five minutes later every drawer was open and Brinn’s purse and several jackets were thrown around.


“Brinn, what’s wrong?  What are you looking for?”


“I, um, never mind.  Sorry, I was just looking for...oh, a flash drive with some information Tammy and I were going to review.”  Brinn pulled out a glass and added ice and Coke in it. “Zach, could you go get my slippers for me? My feet are cold.”


“Sure, Lulu. He kissed her and walked toward the bedroom.  As soon as he was out of sight, Brinn pulled out a bottle of whiskey and  added a hefty dose to her drink After drinking most of it she quickly refilled it just before Zach reappeared with her fuzzy slippers. 


“Thanks, Chase,” She kissed him and reached around to pull him even closer.  “We could go back to bed after lunch. I could tell Tammy I have a headache.”


“Aahh, Lulu, I am going to have to get my vest on after lunch.  The bath helped but …. I’m sorry I hold you back so much. You really would be better off with someone else.  I will never get better, Brinn. This is what my life is always going to be like.”


“Fuck you, Zach.  You don’t….I…. fuck you.  Set the table. I am heating up the soup George left us and I’ll put cold cuts for sandwiches.”  Brinn drained her glass and poured another soda. This time she didn’t hide the fact that at least a third of it was whiskey.


“Brinn, don’t you..” the look she shot at him told him he better be quiet.  


By the time Tammy came over, Brinn was on her third whiskey Coke. The rain had calmed down a bit but it was still coming down steadily. Zach let Tammy in and offered her a soda or juice.


“Oh, come on, Zach, no one is going anywhere today.  Open a nice bottle of wine. Hell, open two. We can sip while we talk over results.” 


Tammy heard a slight slur in her speech and walked over to where Brinn stood by the stove.  “Oh, this smells wonderful. I’ll carry the pot to the table if you would like.” She didn’t wait for a response. She lifted the pot and Brinn just shrugged and picked up the plate with the sandwich fixings on it.  


The three  of them had an enjoyable lunch.  “This soup is perfect on a day like this.  That George is an amazing chef.”


“Ya, we were lucky to find him. Zach would starve if it wasn’t for George. As you know I don’t keep the most normal hours and poor Zach….” Brinn drained her glass of wine and poured another for her and refilled Tammy’s.  As she leaned toward Zach’s he held up his hand.  


“I need to get a breathing treatment and then we can turn the generator off for a few hours.”  He bent and kissed Brinn who loving caressed his face. She pulled him down for another kiss and then he walked away.  She instantly drained her glass once more and started to fill it but Tammy stopped her.


“Brinn, I think you need to slow down a little bit or we won’t be able to talk about anything. Do you always drink this heavily?”


“Tammy, that is none of your business.  I am your employer. I….”


“Brinn everyone is worried about you. What are you taking?  I saw you the other day. Are you making the drugs yourself or are you getting them illegally?”


“Fuck you, Tammy! I don’t take anything seriously dangerous.  All I take is a pick me up so I can work a couple extra hours.”


“Brinn, sweetheart, are you sure that is all it does? Did you need to start drinking today because you didn’t have anything else with you? You don’t have a supply at home?”


“Tammy, it’s not like that, really.  I just need to find a solution for him.  He can’t just die in ten years and I forget about him and go on.  I need him until lI am old and gray. I…. “ Brinn started crying and Tammy moved so she could put her arms around her. 


“But Brinn, when you can’t think straight, you can’t do your best work.”


“It really isn’t a problem.  Ok, maybe I have been taking it a little more than I should.  I’ll back it off. I promise. Please, it isn’t a problem. I just…”


“Brinn, come talk to me when you need support.  Bounce your ideas off me. In another couple weeks I should be at the lab almost full time so, lean on me.”


“Thank you, Tammy.  Please don’t tell my dads.  I just can’t handle their disappointment.”


“If you try, Brinn.  If I see you making an effort, I will tell them it is under control.”


“Thank you, Tammy.” Brinn wasn’t sure why but she kissed her.  Not a familial kiss but a real kiss and Tammy reacted before she realized it.


Both women caught themselves quickly and pulled apart.  Neither of them said anything but they looked at each other for a few moments.  “Brinn, I….that won’t happen again. I promise.”


“We have both drank a little too much.” Brinn smiled  “Now, I would like to look at that research you have gone through.”



Brian and Justin arrived at Gus and Shelby’s.  The garage door went up so they could drive into it and stay dry.  Justin got out of the SUV and Brian rushed around and got out the walker. “The cane would have been enough.”


“You have done a lot already today and the kids will keep us busy while we’re here.” The door to the house opened and Taylor rushed out.

“Am I glad you are here.  Daddy can’t get home. He’s stuck in the mud and Mom is starting to make some really weird noises and I know she is scared even though she hasn’t said anything.”


Brian picked up his granddaughter and hugged her close, kissing her cheek.  “We’re here, Sunny, and there is a doctor right over at Brinn’s so we will call her as soon as we get into the house.”  The three walked into the house and they found Shelby bracing herself on the counter, breathing through a contraction.


Justin was instantly at her side, putting an arm around her and telling her to breath.  “Let’s get you upstairs.”


“Justin, can you climb all the way up?”  Shelby asked him.  


“It might take me a little time but we will get there together. Brian is calling Tammy.  She will come over. I will call Gus and see where he is and if there is any way for him to get here.”


Shelby and Justin walked up the steps.  Shelby beat him but Justin eventually made it to the top and limped into the bedroom.  Shelby had already stripped and was just wearing a robe. Brian came in with his walker.  He kissed Justin and then walked over to Shelby, softly laying his hand on her stomach. “See you soon, little one.” He kissed Shelby and then said, “Tammy will be here in about fifteen minutes. She is putting together her doctor bag.  I’ll go watch the kids.” Brian walked back down and turned on a movie on a laptop The battery should last long enough for one movie and then he started looking for lanterns and candles.  


Shelby braced herself on the arm of the sofa as another contraction ran through her.  Justin rubbed her lower back. Once it past Justin said, “I’ll go get some towels. We’ll need some for the bed and would you like one on the sofa so you can sit?”


“Yes, that sounds good. I hope Tammy gets here pretty soon and why hasn’t Gus called back?”


Justin moved as fast as he could and got the towels and then, after helping Shelby sit, he tried calling Gus again.


“Dad? Is Shelly alright?”


“She’d be a lot better if you were here, son.”

“I am trying, Dad.  I am hiking up. That’s why my phone is in and out of service.  I am guessing I should be there in about an hour but it is slow moving because the trail is so slick and then I have to go over mud…”


“Gus, be careful.   We want you here in one piece even if it is later.”


“Can I talk to her?” Gus asked and Justin handed his phone over to Shelby.  “Oh, Shelly, baby, I am trying to get there. I am safe, just wet and muddy.”


“Be careful, Gussy.  It’s getting dark out there.  We all need you safe and whole. Ooohhh!”


Shelby threw the phone at Justin as she was hit by another wave.


“Gussy, be careful. Tammy will be here soon so take your time.  I know she would like you here but honestly, a doctor is more important right now.”


“Thanks, Dad, I know you won’t let anything happen to her.” 


Justin dropped the phone as he went to Shelby’s side.  “Have you been timing them at all?”


“They are under five minutes now.  When is Tammy getting here?”


“Soon, any minute.” 


“Justin, you’ll stay with me, won’t you?  Please, stay with me.”


“I’m not going anywhere as long as you want me to stay, sweetheart, but I am afraid I need to sit down for a bit.  My leg….”


“Oh, of course.  I should have realized.” Shelby sat on the edge of the Sofa and Justin sat next to her.  He rubbed her lower back and helped her breath through the contractions. Finally, Tammy arrived.  She came upstairs and into the master suite.


“Well, it sounds like we are going to have a baby here soon.  How are you doing, Shelby? How far apart are the contractions?”


“I think we are at about three and a half minutes.” Justin answered.  


“Well, let’s get you onto the bed and then maybe Justin could step out while I examine….”


“No, Justin stays. I need him.”


“Ok, whatever you are comfortable with. Justin later on I will probably need you to help but right now just hold her hand.  Shelby, I will let you know what I am doing.” Tammy talked Shelby through the exam and when she pulled off the gloves she smiled at Shelby.  It shouldn’t be too long. I am going to go see if Brian can scare up some lights for me and then I will get everything ready for the delivery.” 


“Justin, I’m scared.”


“I know, sweetheart.  We’ve been through this before and look at the beautiful job we did.  Taylor couldn’t be any more perfect. You can do it again and this time we have a doctor to help you through it.”


“Justin, you know how much I love your family, don’t you? I can’t imagine any other life than the one I have.”


“Your only regret is Seth?” Justin moved behind her and massaged her shoulders. 

“Yes, and I know now, that the way to keep Gus is let him  be himself.”


“He loves you all the more for that.”


“I know, Justin. And I know I would share him the rest of my life if that’s how I keep...OOOO!”


Tammy came back with two lanterns and smiled. “Brian just talked to Gus and he should be here in 15 minutes.  I am not sure if you can wait that long but just know he will be here soon. Justin why don’t you get in behind Shelby.  She can use you for support since we don’t have a hospital bed here. Now, Shelby, the next contraction you need to push. I think this little one is ready to come into this world.”


Brian had been trying to distract Gage and Taylor the last half hour as Shelby’s cries were coming louder and more frequent. He had started the fireplace for light and the kids and Brian were making grilled cheese sandwiches on a sandwich press for campfires. Brian had also turned on some music trying to cover up the cries.  


“Shelby!” The door flew open and a soaked, muddy, exhausted Gus came rushing in.


“Daddy!” both Taylor and Gage ran to meet him. 


“Oh babies.  I am so glad to see you,” he kissed both of them quickly as he took off his shoes and shirt.   Lastly he dropped his pants on the floor knowing they were too dirty to meet his new child in. “Is the baby here?  Has she…”


Just then Shelby screamed followed by the cry of a baby.  Gus grabbed Brian’s face and kissed his dad as he ran up the stairs. He came into the dimly lit room where his dad sat behind his wife, holding her close looking at the bundle she held. “Ok, looks like Daddy is here just in time for delivering the afterbirth.  Come over and meet your daughter.”


Justin kissed Shelby and the cheek and tried to slip out from behind her.  His leg had fallen asleep and he couldn’t support any weight on it. Gus quickly helped him to the sofa and rushed back to Shelby and their newborn.” Moments later Shelby finished delivering the afterbirth and Tammy made sure  Shelby was stable. “Shelby, Gus, if you let me see that beautiful bundle for just a minute, I will bring her right back and then we will leave you alone for a bit.” Tammy, brought the baby over to the table by the sofa. She did a quick check on heart and breathing and did a quick count of fingers and toes.  She then had Justin hold up a portable scale and she gently laid the baby in the sling. Tammy smiled and lifted the baby up and carried her back to her waiting parents. “Gus, I will be right downstairs. If you see any changes in either of them just shout. Otherwise I will pop in every 15 minutes for the first hour.”  


Tammy walked out with Justin. She could see how tired he was physically. “Hey, Brian, could you help this wonderful husband of yours down the steps.  He has earned some extra love and care.” Brian helped Justin down the long staircase, nearly carrying him part of the way. 


Once they got to the bottom, Justin wrapped his arms around Brian and kissed him. She is so beautiful.


“She, Papa did you say she? Do we have a sister?” Taylor ran to Justin.  


“Yes, Taylor, you have a baby sister.”

“Yeah! Now there are two of each if you count baby Gabriel, and I always count him.” Taylor smiled up at her grandpas.  “Is Mommy alright?”


“Yes, sweetheart, Dr. Tammy took great care of her.” Justin bent down and kissed both Taylor and Gage.  “Did Grandpa get you some dinner?”


“Ya, we made grilled cheese on the fireplace,”  Gage said.


“Maybe you could make Dr. Tammy and me a sandwich?” Brian kissed Justin and took the kids back to the fire to make a couple more sandwiches. Justin hugged Tammy, “Thank you for taking care of them.”


“It always amazes me to see a new life come into the world and that baby is coming into one of the craziest and most loving groups I have ever met. I am going to check on the new baby and mom and be right back for that sandwich.



“Gus, are you just wearing briefs?” Shelby asked as Gus laid with this new daughter on his chest.


“I was soaked from head to toe and my clothes were so muddy.  Stripping was the quickest way to get up here.”


Shelby wrapped a blanket around his shoulders, “You feel very chilled.”


“I’ll take a bath in a little bit or a hot shower.  This little one is making me feel warm and tingly. Are we going to keep the name we talked about?” Gus asked.


“I still love Tallia. Tally.  That has the same meaning as Sally so that will make my mom very proud, but how about changing the middle name to Raine, considering what you went through to get here.”


“Tallia Raine Kinney. I like it.  Shelly, I am so sorry….I shouldn’t have left this morning. I really was just going to do some office work and then make a stop at a site but then the rain and…”


“Gus, I’d rather have you and share you than not have you at all.  I appreciate that you aren’t spending as much time since the kids are getting older but, I will never tell you, you have to stop seeing him.  Why don’t you put on some clothes and find my soft pink robe. That will work for feeding her in a little while.”


There was a soft knock and Tammy came in.  “Everything still ok?”


“Yes,” Shelby said as she held her daughter to her breast. The baby wasn’t ready to eat quite yet but Shelby loved the feeling of her snuggling close. “Gus is getting some clothes on and I am just getting acquainted with our daughter.”


“You have a couple little people oh and a big kid that would probably like to come meet her.  Is it alright if I send the kids and Brian up?”


“Give us five minutes.  I want to put on a robe and kiss my husband.”


“I’ll give you seven minutes.” Tammy smiled as she left again. Gus walked out of the bathroom, finishing a text.  “Seth?”


“Yes and now we are calling Brinn.” Gus pushed Brinn’s icon and listened to it ring.  


Finally, Zach’s voice came on the line, “Hey, Gus, Brinn went to bed early. Is there news?”


“Zach, she’s passed out, isn’t she?”


“So she drank a little bit too much at dinner.”


“Zach, if you need… Just tell her she has a new niece and everything is good.”


“I will, Gus, congratulations.”


“Thanks, Zach.”


“Brinn was passed out?” Shelby looked at Gus.


“Nothing I am going to think about today. Did I hear you tell Tammy you were going to kiss your husband?” Gus put a hand on either side of Shelby who was holding their new child close and kissed her until her body tingled. “Thank you, Shelly, for giving me one more beautiful child in my life.”


“Oh, Gus, I would not want to be raising these children with anyone but you. Our other two are probably on their way up along with Pops. I think we will send them home with my dads and I am guessing Tammy won’t mind spending the night here.”  The door started to open and a very quiet Taylor and Gage walked in followed by Brian who had a hand on each of their shoulders. 

“Come meet your sister and give your mom a kiss.” Both of them ran over and they looked at the perfect little one.  


“What is her name?” Gage asked.


“Her name is Tallia Raine. I think we will call her Tally.”  Gus replied.


“How much does she weigh?”


“She weighs seven and a half pounds” Shelby told Taylor.


“Can I hold her?” Taylor asked.


“Let’s wait until tomorrow. The two of you need to go pack your bookbags.  Put in pjs, clean underwear and one outfit for tomorrow. Brian, it’s ok if they sleep at your place, isn’t it? Justin is up to that now?”


“We would love to have them.” Brian walked over and looked at his granddaughter.  “I will be back in the morning to start spoiling you my little Tally.” He looked at Shelby and kissed her cheek.  “I always know you make the most beautiful children.” He stood and kissed Gus and then took the kids and the flashlight he had taken with him and led them out of the room.



An hour later Brian and Justin lay in their beds but rather than holding each other they each held one of their grandchildren. Taylor and Gage had fallen right to sleep after the excitement of the day.  


They talked softly about the baby and the events of the birth.  Then Justin said, “Did Tammy say anything about Brinn? I got the feeling she … she drank too much again today.”


“Justin,” Brian reached out and their fingertips interlocked for a moment, “We both went through times when we drank too much.  Tammy is keeping an eye on her and right now, we need to be thankful that she is home safe with the man she loves and we trust and count the blessings we have. His lips brushed Taylor’s dark hair.


“I love you, Brian Taylor Kinney. I would not want to do this life with anyone but you.”


“I can’t do life without you, Justin.  I love you.”

 

“Grandpas, I’m glad you love each other but shut up. I’m trying to sleep.” They both laughed as Gage snuggled even closer to Justin and fell right back to sleep.