- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Justin has a great support system, Lindsay's being a bitch, Carl does his job...

DAPHNE’S APARTMENT


Brian knocked on the door, hoping that his Sunshine would open the door. When the door did open, his heart shattered into millions of pieces. His Sunshine looked so down and broken.


“Justin.” Brian whispered and grabbed his lover in a tight embrace. “Oh Sunshine, don’t worry. We don’t believe you did it. We’re here to support you. Everything’s going to be okay.”


Despite trying to hold in his tears, Justin broke down at Brian’s words and began to cry again. Soon, the entire group was hugging Justin and assuring him of their support. 


“We brought dinner.” Ted mentioned, his voice shaky. He had never seen Justin like this.


“I’m not hungry.” Came Justin’s reply in a small, quiet voice.


“That I can believe, honey.” Emmett said. “But you need to eat. Your body needs it.”


Justin nodded and invited his friends into the apartment. He wiped his face with the sleeves of his hoodie before Brian’s strong yet gentle hands cupped his face and soft kisses were placed upon his lips. “I’ve got you, Sunshine. We got you. You’re not alone in this.” The ad man whispered to his lover.


TWO DAYS LATER - MEL AND LINDS’ HOUSE

“NO!” Lindsay yelled at Mel and Brian.


“What the fuck do you mean ‘no’?” Brian asked, outraged. Mel herself waited for her wife’s explanation to the vehement no.


“Excuse me? Haven’t you seen Michael? If you think that I’ll allow Justin to be around MY son you better think again. What if Gus does or says something he doesn’t like? Will he kidnap him and torture him like he did with Michael?” Lindsay told them.


“What the fuck?!” It was Mel who was now yelling. “Justin didn’t do it! How can you believe that he did this to Michael? Just how?” Mel demanded.


“It’s what Michael said and I for one believe him. He has no reason to lie about this. And I’m telling you both, if either of you lets Justin near MY son, I’ll make sure neither of you will ever see Gus again. Is that clear?” Lindsay threatened.


“Fuck you Lindsay!” Brian yelled and slammed the door hard on his way out. Mel was frozen in place, shocked to the core by her wife’s words. But she soon shook out of the shock and began to strategize a way to secure Gus as her and Brian’s son. The brunette lawyer wouldn’t allow her wife to use their son in the quest to get Justin away from them. The artist was part of her family and she loved him. For Lindsay it wasn’t even about Justin or even Gus. It was about wanting Brian to be alone and free. Free for her ridiculous fantasies. But Mel would find a way to destroy Lindsay’s plans. 


“Wow Lindsay. Here I thought you loved Brian and were his friend. But I guess I was wrong. You don’t care about anyone but yourself.” Mel said before leaving her raging wife in the kitchen.


IN THE EVENING - AT DEB’S HOUSE


Debbie had called the entire family for dinner. Michael had been released earlier in the morning and Ben and Hunter had promised to come with him. Lindsay had asked their neighbor Dusty to keep Gus and Jenny for the time since she didn’t want Justin around them. Mel had just shook her head and muttered quietly. 


Michael and the others were already sitting at the table with some finger food. Debbie didn’t plan on a normal dinner. She wanted all of them together, including Justin, to make peace. And she hoped that Michael would come to his senses and admit that it wasn’t Justin who had hurt him so badly. 


The lines however had been drawn. Lindsay sat next to Michael with Ben and Hunter on his other side. Both looked confused by the distance between them and the others. The last ones to arrive were Brian and Justin. Debbie let out a shocked gasp when she saw the blonde artist. He looked like hell with dark rings under his eyes which were red and swollen, probably from crying. The young man looked fearful. Debbie was hit by a wave of guilt, thinking how terribly she had treated Justin when Michael was missing.


She grabbed the blonde man in a tight embrace, apologizing for her behavior. “I’m so sorry, Sunshine. I had no right to blame you for Michael’s disappearance. I was behaving so poorly towards you. I might have been worried about Michael, but it’s no excuse to treat you like that. I’m so sorry. You deserved better from me.” She told the young man and was glad to feel him returning the hug just as fiercely.


After the hug ended, the red head shooed the late arriver towards the table where the rest of the family already sat. She had high hopes for the evening, but little did she know that the truth would definitely come out and shock everyone to the core.


“Ma, what’s HE doing here?”  Michael yelled, jumping from the chair and backing away in fear from Justin who was approaching the group with Brian by his side.


“I invited him, Michael!” Debbie answered her son. “Now, sit back down.”


“But, but Ma…” Michael started but Debbie interrupted him.


“Don’t you ‘Ma’ me, Michael. I want all of us to sit together and discuss some things. I’m not happy with the situation as it is and it’s time we clear the air.” The waitress said and waited for her son to sit down.


During her speech, nobody had noticed that Carl had arrived. The detective stayed in the foyer, glad that nobody had seen or heard him coming in. The man was upset, feeling like a raging bull. His colleagues had finished the investigation and solved the case.

FLASHBACK - POLICE DEPARTMENT


Carl sat in his office, thinking about the mess with Michael and Justin. Detective Ross and other colleagues had been working hard processing the evidence, looking for DNA and witnesses. Michael kept saying it was Justin but Carl didn’t believe it. Neither did his colleagues, especially Ross. They had spoken often about the people involved and the dynamics amongst them. Carl did have to admit that Michael had not shown the usual signs when he was caught lying or twisting things. Carl normally had no problems to catch the lies when dealing with Michael. The man had several tells, like the guilty look he did automatically, the way his eyes would hold a certain mean gleam when he thought his manipulations worked. Carl didn’t think that Michael was aware of that but all of those tells had been missing so far. Michael had looked each one of them into the eyes and said it was Justin but there were not guilt ridden looks or the mean gleam. It was the one thing that had Carl thinking but he couldn’t come up with any explanation.


He had been thinking about exactly this when Ross entered his office with a stern, grim face telling him the case was officially closed and Michael would be arrested along with his helper.


“Novotny lied. We compared Taylor’s DNA with the sample we found at the crime scene and on Novotny, no match. But we did find a match. Remember when we took samples of everyone that was involved in the bombing of Babylon?” Ross asked and Carl nodded yes. “The samples matched with the DNA we took from Lindsay Peterson. The witnesses also described that Novotny walked into the old garage with a blonde woman. The latter showed up everyday with food bags and drinks. We also investigated the stones and wood we found in the garage and they have Novotny’s fingerprints as well as Peterson’s. Nothing there leads to Taylor and he never once showed up. The little second hand clothing’s shop across the street had installed some cameras last year after they were robbed. The camera records several areas around the store, including the garage and both Novotny and Peterson were caught. The day Novotny was found, both were leaving the garage with her helping him up and walking.”


“FUCK!” Carl yelled, then he started muttering, “Fuck, fuck, fuck. What the hell were they thinking? They wanted for Justin to go down for this. This is going to kill Debbie.” Carl said with a sad sigh.


“We have to arrest them, Carl.” Ross said sympathetically.


“I know. Fuck.” Carl sighed. “I have an idea. Debbie invited the whole gang for dinner tonight. She wants to clear the air or something. I wasn’t really listening but I know that Michael and Lindsay will be there. I want the family to be around when those two are being arrested. After the shit they pulled, they should have to see the disappointment and anger in the faces of the entire family. I’ll make sure the kids won’t be there. Holy fucking shit. Now Lindsay believing Michael makes sense. They had planned this together. FUCK!”


Ross agreed without hesitating. He hated false reporters, even more he hated to see innocent people being dragged through investigations and even trials because of some fucked up people like Novotny and Peterson. 



PRESENT TIME - DEB’S HOUSE


“Debbie, I know you mean well but don’t you think it’s unfair to expect Michael to be in such close apromaxity to Justin? I mean, after what he did to him?” Lindsay spoke gently. Mel rolled her eyes at her wife.


“Let me make one thing clear, my dear Lindsay. I do not believe that Justin did this. The others don’t believe that either. You’re the only one who’s convinced that Michael said the truth.” Debbie told the blonde wanna-be WASP.


“What the hell, Ma?” Michael whined loudly. “You should be supporting me, your son. Not the ass… person that hurt me.”


“I do support and love you, Michael. You’re my son but that’s not changing the fact that I don’t believe it was Justin who hurt you.” Debbie told him.


Everyone started to add their two cents and soon the house was filled with loud arguments. Carl had chose this moment to make his presence known.


“Good evening everyone. Why don’t you all calm down so you can listen to me.” He said and sat down at the table. “We have gotten the results from the DNA test today and guess what? We have a match.” He announced and then he saw it, the mean gleam in Michael’s eyes and the smug look on Lindsay’s face.


“How is that possible, Carl?” Justin asked, confused and scared. “I wasn’t with Michael and I also didn’t hurt him. How could my DNA match?”


“Oh Justin, forgive me. It wasn’t yours. It was Lindsay’s DNA we found at the crime scene. And on Michael of course.” Carl added.


“WHAT?” Everyone yelled but Carl held up his hand, silencing everyone.


“Yes, Lindsay’s DNA. Witness statements also prove that she was visiting Michael every day, bringing food and something to drink. Then we have the fingerprints and of course, everything you two did we have it on camera.” Carl told them and stood up. “Lindsay Peterson and Michael Novotny, you’re under arrest. Come in, guys.” He yelled for his colleagues to come in.


While Lindsay and Michael were handcuffed and led out of the house, the rest of the family sat silently at the table, watching the events and trying to come to grips with the truth.


LATER THAT EVENING - DAPHNE’S APARTMENT


“I can’t believe they did this. I know Michael hates me but Lindsay? Why did she do it?” Justin mused aloud.


“Who knows.” Brian muttered. “I doubt they’ll ever tell us the truth.”


“I guess you’re right.” Justin shrugged. He was tired and just wanted to forget about the drama.


“Come on, let’s go to bed and get some proper sleep. Tomorrow we’ll pack your stuff and you’ll move in with me. For real.” Brian told his lover with a wicked grin.


“Is that so, Mr. Kinney? I don’t recall making such a decision.” Justin replied.


“That’s because you didn’t make that decision. It’s my decision and you’ll be my good Sunshine and do as I tell you.” Brian stuck out his tongue at the younger man. And for the first time since this mess started, Justin let out his usual laugh and Brian was happy to hear and see it again.

TBC

Chapter End Notes:

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. My beta Loahisi is the best! Thank you for being so awesome.