- Text Size +

Chapter 18



Brian and Justin sat in a small room along with the attorney.  He said, “Mr. Kinney, remember less is more,” as the door opened and two detectives walked in.  They shared pleasantries and then the questioning began.


“So Mr. Kinney, you admit you and Mr. Montefiore were in the suite at the time of Mr. Smith’s injuries.”


“We were in the suite at the time of some of his injuries.  Some of the injuries happened before we were there.”


“Oh, come on Mr. Kinney.  You said when you walked into the suite nothing looked out of place.”


“Yes, I did. But I didn’t say his injuries occurred in the suite.  He had to have been in a fight earlier.”


“Your nephew has had Martial Arts training, our research shows year of it.  He kicked him in the center of the chest causing the rib and internal injuries.”


“No, he didn’t,” Brian started  to get irritated.


“Mr. Kinney is done for the day.  Turn the case over to the district attorney’s office and have them contact my office. Mr. Kinney will be in town at least 24 hours before going back to his home in California. Our office will know where Mr. Kinney is at all times.”


“Well, then there is the location of Mr.Montefiore.  We will want to talk to him.”


“Our office also knows his location.  He isn’t available…”


“Well, he needs to make himself available.”


“No, he NEEDS to spend time with his family after that animal violated his sister!” He didn’t wait to be given permission.  He extended his hand to Justin and the men walked out of the room. They heard one of the detectives calling them back but they kept walking. 


Once they had turned the corner Justin stopped bringing Brian to a stop, “Bri, is this smart?”


“I just couldn’t sit there….”


“You go on to the car.  I’ll be right back,” Justin kissed his cheek.  Justin went back to the interview room and opened the door.  Brian’s lawyer was trying to calm the detectives down. “Excuse me, gentlemen, I want to apologize for my husband but it has been a stressful month.  You see, our great niece was kidnapped the night of our daughter’s wedding along with our best friends’ daughter. On top of that, our family was kidnapped many years ago.  Brian likes to be in control and he doesn’t have control here. I am not trying to excuse his behavior but give you a picture of why he just left.”


One of the detectives nodded but the other had a cynical look on his face.  “Obviously he has never had to fight for anything in his life. He probably grew up having his daddy getting him out of scrapes.  Well, this is more than a scrape and I am guessing his rich daddy is no longer around to help him out.”


As he talked, Justin had to take a deep breath to stop himself from responding the way he wanted to.  “Sir, you don’t know Brian. You couldn’t be further from the truth. Brian was never given anything from his parents except a beating.  He has worked for every dollar he has made and he would give any deserving person the shirt off his back, even though he wouldn’t tell anyone so don’t act like you know him.” Justin looked at their lawyer, “You know how to get ahold of us and we know how to get to Matty.”


When Justin arrived back at the car, Brian sat behind the wheel with his eyes closed.  He looked up. “What kind of trouble am I in for leaving?”


“We pay our lawyers good money.  Let them worry about it.”


“You apologized for me, didn’t you?”


“Brian,” he reached out and touched his cheek, “you’re really worried aren’t you?”


“If I hadn’t had the cameras erased….FUCK….I thought it would keep him out of it but now we can’t prove someone else was there.  If Matty ends up….” Brian stopped talking and recklessly pulled out of the parking spot and moments later they were flying down the street.  Justin didn’t say anything but shut his eyes. If it was their time to die at least they would go together. Soon they were out of the city and screaming down the highway.  Justin glanced over at Brian who was staring at the road but seeing nothing. He reached out slowly and touched Brian’s arm.


“Bri, it’s time to slow down. We have a new grandbaby coming soon and I am not done loving you.” 


Brian slowed down a bit and at the first exit, he turned off into the little rest area with trails leading out into the desert.  Once parked, he got out and started walking down the closest one. Justin got up and tried to follow but he couldn’t keep up. He finally stopped  and said in a loud voice, “I can’t go into the desert, Brian. I just won’t.” His voice was loud but shaky. “Please, Bri. don’t lock me out!”


Brian stopped and his shoulders shrugged. Slowly he turned and walked toward Justin.  Justin met him halfway and held him close. “Brian, don’t run from me. You are not going to get rid of me like you tried so many times. Don’t think so little of me.” Now Brian’s mouth came down on his with a crushing force.  Brian began to undress Justin and then unzipped his own fly. They had made it back to the car and Brian leaned over the car hood with his pants below his ass. Justin didn’t say anything but walked up behind him and slowly and steadily entered him. He felt Brian tense and knew that was going to cause him more discomfort but understood his need to feel something.  Justin wasn’t gentle and he didn’t make it last. Within moments they both cried out and then as if nothing had occurred, the pulled their pants up and zipped them. Justin got behind the wheel and Brian sank into the passenger side. They rode silently back to the hotel. 



John and Tony saw both their children seem to heal as they spent time at the villa. Angi spent a lot of time with Jonna, sitting by the pool or in their bedroom.  They didn’t know what the girls were talking about but they didn’t care as long as Jonna came out of her room a little longer each day and was even smiling from time to time.


Matty had been contacted by Brian’s lawyer and knew he would have to have a video call with the police tomorrow but was told if he did that he could probably stay at least one more week with his family before he went home to face his bad decisions.


Danny and Elliott were enjoying having Danny’s family around, especially since Dan and Marcus were so willing to help get the clinic ready to open.  Hannah was happy running between the four men she loved helping with tools and bringing drinks and snacks. By the end of the week when they planned to head back home, the practice should be ready for patients. All of them could see Hannah begin to relax.  Yes, she would be seeing Becca for a while just to make sure she really was processing everything and she had to get back to school. They had been keeping her up to pace but she needed to start socializing again. But the next few days were just for family.


Brian and Justin arrived at home very subdued.  Justin hadn’t seen Brian this depressed in a long time.  Justin grabbed a bottle of wine and a couple glasses and then took Brian’s hand.  “It is a beautiful day. Let’s enjoy some wine. Brinn said she was going to stop by on her way home.”


Brian smiled at him, “Sure, Sunshine.  I miss that feisty little girl who is all grown up. There is definitely no question she’s pregnant anymore.” Brian opened the bottle and poured them each a glass of wine.  “This is nice, thank you.” Justin accepted the glass of wine and curled up against Brian on one of the outdoor sofas they had. 


As they talked they could hear a vehicle getting closer.  “I wonder who that is? It is too early for Brinn,” Justin questioned.  Moments later Gus’ pickup came into view. “I didn’t think he would be home until later.”   Justin stood and approached Gus’ truck. Gus had just opened the door when Justin stepped up.  “Gus, you’re back earlier than I expected. How’d the trip go?”


“Hey, Dad, let’s go to Pops so I can tell you both at the same time,” Gus put his arm around Justin’s shoulders.  Quietly he said, “How’s Pops doing?”


“Not so good.  He’s more worried than he wants us to know.” He kissed Gus’ cheek, “So, Bri, Gus has something to tell us.”


Brian took out another glass and handed it to Gus after filling it. “Is it good news?”  


“Out of the five finalists, they chose me to design and build their offices.  I’m going to have to spend time down there. I’m thinking maybe part of the summer we will live there.”  


Brian and Justin both hugged their son.  “They gave me some changes to my original plans so I will be going back down with them next week.  Then I shouldn’t have to go down too often until school is finished. I am going to look for a summer rental, maybe on the ocean.”


“Oh, the kids would love that.” Justin said.  “You better start looking soon if you want to find a place in a couple months.”


“I plan to.  I did a little looking around the area I think I would like to be in and got a couple leads.”


Brian watched his son and could tell he was holding something back. “So, sonnyboy, what else happened on your trip? No, never mind just tell me you were safe.”


“Yes, I was safe. I’m not stupid.”


“Just be careful, Gussy,” Justin smiled at him. “You have a great wife and the world’s best kids.  Remember they still come first.”


“Do you think I’d forget them?”


“No, but Gus….”


“I’ve got to go.  I’ll talk to you later.” Gus ended the conversation and rushed to his truck.  Soon it was just Brian and Justin sitting there.


“Should we be worried?” Justin questioned.


“Hopefully Gus will get this out of his system.  He just needs to find a fuck boy. He has love and family.  He just needs someone to screw.”


“Isn’t that what he’s doing?”


“Well, ya, but he is doing it the way I did it.  I had very little to lose. You know money isn’t something I don’t think about but I don’t want him to get hooked up with someone like Adam. Maybe time in L.A. will be good,” Brian said as he took a sip of wine.


“L.A. will be good?” Justin knew Brian too well.  He may have said that but he didn’t believe it. 


“As much as we hate it, we may have to let him flounder and be here if he asks for help.” Brian hesitated a minute, “And that might mean him asking you for help.  I could be….”


“Brian, don’t think that way.”


“I think I might have let it go too far.  I should have stopped him. I could have but I knew he needed to avenge his sister in his own way.”


“I still think you will……” Justin had to be honest.  “Dan’s got men searching videos all over Vegas. They will find something and Brian,”  Justin kissed him, “you know I will be here no matter what happens.” Brian pulled him across his lap so Justin was laying in his arms looking up at him.  “I love you, Brian. I have since that first night.” The men began to kiss and that’s how Brinn found them.


“Excuse me, but I have a husband to get home to myself.” Brinn smiled at her dads as she walked over.  She pushed Justin away from Brian and squeezed in between them. They both kissed her cheek. “Well, I will be taking the Bar exam in a couple weeks.  Dad, I hope to be ready to help with your case. I probably won’t be able to get my license in Nevada before the case comes up but I will be able to assist your lawyer that is licensed there.” She took a breath, “I talked to Matty last night. He will be speaking to the Vegas police on a three way video call tomorrow.”


“How is Matteo doing?” Justin pulled his daughter close, resting his hand on her growing tummy.


“He is struggling, knowing the man is dead.  He can’t figure out how he killed him.”


“That’s because he didn’t.  Smith was already injured. We just have to find proof of that.” Brian said with force.  


Brinn climbed into Brian’s lap and put her arms around his neck, “Daddy, this isn’t your fault.  You were just trying to help. Matty said he would have probably gotten himself killed if you hadn’t helped him come up with the plan you used. And I am not going to sleep until you are sitting here holding my daughter and spoiling her rotten.”


“Did you say daughter?” Justin interrupted.


Brinn put his hand on her tummy, “Yes, we’re having a baby girl.”


Justin felt his eyes fill with tears.  His baby girl was having a baby girl, “Oh, Brinn, I am so …..”


“Yes, I already have more understanding about your feelings already.  I am so in love with this little girl.” She got off Brian’s lap and Justin stood to hug her.  “Now, I have a husband who is already complaining he never sees me but he understands.”


“Brinny, we are so proud of you and so glad you are working to help your dad but this baby needs to come first.”


Brian stood up.  “Listen to your daddy.  Baby first, Zach second, and then if you want to help out your old dad….”


“I love you, Dad.  I love both of you so much.  I will talk to you tomorrow.” After she kissed both of them, Brian walked her to the car.  “Daddy, we are going to beat this thing. At least we are going to get it knocked down. You will probably be in more trouble for tampering with evidence by messing with the cameras but you own the cameras so we can use that.”


“Baby girl, take care of your baby girl,” they hugged once more before she sat down and then drove away.


Justin pulled Brian to him, after kissing him he said, “Ready to go in?”


“Ya, I should probably call John and Tony and find out what is going on with Matty. I don’t know if they have already spoken to the police in Vegas or if it is happening later. I just think I need to talk to them.”


“Brian, it’s like three in the morning there.  Why don’t you text them and tell them we will contact them about 9:00 a.m. their time.  That will be 11:00 p.m. just before bed.”


“Oh, ya, I forgot the time difference. I think I will just go work for a while.  I’m not very hungry right now.” Justin gave him a look. “Sunshine, we had a big lunch.  Maybe later I will have a salad or something.”


Justin looked into his eyes, “Ok, Bri.  Just let me know if you want something. I think I will go paint a while.  I have a granddaughter’s nursery to decorate.”



Brian opened the door to the studio. As usual, Justin was painting nude.  He smiled at the man he loved so much, “Sunshine, do you want to be in on the call. It’s getting close to 11:00.”


Justin looked up,  “Oh, hey baby. I guess I lost track of time.  Go ahead and call. I am going to jump in the shower and I will be there in five minutes.  I just need to get rid of some of this paint.” He dropped a kiss on Brian’s lips and dashed into the attached bath.


Brian walked to the office and texted John, letting him know he was going to start the Video Chat now.  The chat went right through and Brian could see Matteo’s handsome face looking back. “Hey, Uncle Brian. I know you were expecting my dads but I asked if we could have a couple minutes first.”


“Sure, Matty, Justin isn’t here right now, either.”


“Uncle Brian, I’m so sorry.”


“Matty, I could have stopped you if I wanted to but I knew you needed to do that.”


“But I killed him!” Matty started choking up. 


“No, Matty, you fought the bastard but you weren’t the first one of the day.  He had broken ribs and internal injuries. You broke his collarbone and maybe helped with the concussion. You never came near his midsection which is where the killing blows came from.”


Brian could see Matty relax a bit. “Uncle Brian, have they charged you with anything?”


“No, my lawyers have been holding them off.  They are rerunning some of the tests to try to narrow down the other injuries. Matty, I owe you an apology.  If it wasn’t for me we would have video and if we had video we would know who else was in his room or know when he was moving around. That is totally on me.”


“Papa and Dad just walked in.”


“Hey, Brian,” John said as he and Tony showed up on either side of Matty.


“You two look very rested.”


Tony smiled, “Resting isn’t what got us relaxed.”


“Oh, god, if you are all going to talk about sex, I’m going to head out of here.  Angie and I are going into town and we are trying to convince Jonna to come with us.  Thanks, Uncle Brian.”  


“Have a good day, Matty.” As soon as Matty was gone, Brian asked, “How is Jonna?”  Justin slipped in behind Brian, kissing his neck.


“Jonna is still….” Tony stopped and took a deep breath.  “She is physically healing, I think and Angi is what she needed right now.  She trusts Angi to keep her secrets and right now, damn, …”


John put his hand over Tony’s, “It is just hard knowing that we can’t connect with her.”


“Oh, guys, we have had that with Brinn.  It is hard but that’s why we have family that can help. Brinn talked with Shelby or Becca.  I think my mom, too, a couple times. She knows you love her and will do anything for her. That is all that counts.”


“Thanks, Justin, now I am guessing you really called about Matty,” Tony said.


Brian filled Tony and John in on the latest and found out they would be talking to the detectives this evening.  “Don’t say anything without the attorney. One of them is very annoying so if he gets on your nerves just disconnect and let the attorney worry about it.”


“Do you have any date on when you plan to come back?”  Justin asked.  


“Well, some of that depends on our conversation with the detectives but we hope to spend another week here.”


“Then tell them you will be back next Monday.  That will give you your week and I will deal with anything over here.” Brian stopped and said thoughtfully, “I hope you two are getting enough time alone.  You both deserve it.”


John smiled, “If we have any more time alone, I might not be able to walk.”


They ended their call and Brian turned to look at Justin who was still standing behind him.  “I hope the police don’t wind them up too much.” Brian yawned. “I guess it’s time for bed. It’s been a really long day.”


“Yes, I almost forgot we had been in Las Vegas this morning.” Justin pressed against Brian and brought his lips to his.  He then led him out of the office. They got in bed and as Justin pressed against him, Brian wrapped his arms around Justin but Brian kissed him and closed his eyes.  Justin started to say something but then just laid his head down on Brian’s chest. Brian’s arm tightened around him. Justin listened to Brian’s breathing change and knew he was asleep. His mind wouldn’t slow down.  He thought about everything that had gone on in the last couple days. He was concerned about Jonna and Matty. He was excited to meet Brinn and Zach’s daughter, and he worried about Brian. He hoped this case wouldn’t take long. He wasn’t sure Brian could handle much more. He hadn’t seen Brian this stressed more than a handful of times.  When this was all over, they were going to take a break, even if he had to drag him.



Brinn crawled into bed well after midnight.  She tried not to wake up Zach. As she tried to get comfortable she turned over.  Her back ached from leaning over a desk for the last six hours. As she tried to stretch her lower back she felt a strong hand press against it and began massaging it.  “I’m sorry I woke you.”


“I wasn’t sleeping soundly.  I was waiting for you. Lulu, you can’t keep this up.  I mean, I know you probably could but,” he reached around and placed his hand on her tummy, “our little girl needs rest and food.  You ate didn’t you?”


Brinn turned over and snuggled against Zach, “I ate, Chase.  I know I need to take care of our baby but I need to get justice for my dad.” She kissed Zach’s bare chest and then her mouth trailed up to meet Zach’s. They kissed and touched but soon Zach realized, Brinn was sound asleep. 


“I love you, Lulu,” he said softly as he stroked her blond hair.  He understood what she was doing. He knew when he fell in love with her that a woman like her would be a challenge.  Her intelligence would always be leading her into something new but he also felt like she would always come back to him.  He was her anchor and he wasn’t going anywhere.



Gus and Shelby lay in bed talking about the summer.  “Shelly,” he was playing with her nipples as he spoke, “I am hoping to hear that we have a house on the beach.  I called a couple of people that might have a place we can use for June and July.”


“The kids would love to be on the beach and as much as I love living with family all around, iit might be a great time for just our family. “  Her heart rate was increasing under his touch. His mouth was now on one of her breasts and his hand had moved down her body to her clit. She began to thrust to get more and finally said, “Please, Gussy, please!”


Gus repositioned himself and soon they were both cumming before crashing side by side.  Shelby rested a hand on his chest as his arm drew her close. “So are you going to tell me about him?” 


“Him?”


“I know you were with someone.  Well, know is a strong word but I am guessing you took advantage of your trip.”


“I don’t even know his name.  I was safe and careful. I got a second hotel room and gave him a false name. He was in and out, no pun intended, in an hour. I will never see him again.”


“Was it enough?”


“It was for the time being.  You know that has never been my style but you, you are always my style.”   Gus started kissing Shelby again.


“Gus, I could try to be what you need.  I mean if you want anal….”


“Shel,” he began to slide down her body. “There is no way this body could belong to a man and for that I am very thankful because I love every inch of it.” He began sucking on her clit sending her over the edge a second time bringing an end to the conversation.  As often as she wished he could be satisfied with her, she would rather share him then be without him.



The next week went quickly for everyone.  Angi left Ibiza a day before the rest of her family. Jonna, physically was healing well.   The last night there, Angi came out to find Tony and John in the same place she found them every night, “You two definitely have gotten reacquainted the last couple weeks.”


“Well, as much as our kids needed this so did we,” Tony said as his hand continued to massage John’s cock under a pool towel. John moaned softly as Tony used his skills to bring him to the edge and then backed off. “I don’t expect you to tell us what Jonna said.  That is private between the two of you but do you think she is doing well?”


“She is such a tough kid but going back home is going to be hard.  She has mentioned coming to Italy for a while. Maybe she should stay with me for a while.” Angi commented.


“What about school?”


“She could finish the year doing online classes and before the fall she could come back.”


John pressed against Tony just to feel him there, “Oh, god, I don’t know…”


“If it’s what is best for her we would do it.” Tony tightened his arm around John.  “She will need to come back with us for the trial but we will talk to her and Becca.  If Jonna wants to and Becca thinks it’s a good option….”


“Of course, it is her decision but she is welcome and will be well cared for and loved,” Angi said .

“Oh, we don’t doubt that. Thank you for everything you have done for her, for all of us.” John said, as Tony kissed his neck.  


“It is an insult to thank me.  I am family. I would do nothing less,” she stood.  “I will leave you to Amore and see you in the morning.”


“Buona notte, Angelica,” Tony said as John turned into his arms and began to kiss him.


Angi left the next morning and the Montefiores began to pack for their trip home.  They were leaving late tonight so they would be back in California in the morning. John knocked on Jonna’s door, late afternoon.  “Jonna, can I come in?”


“Sure, Daddy.” Jonna said.  Her suitcase was packed and she sat at the window.  She actually had gone into town with Angi and Matty that morning and  she had gone a couple more times in the last week. She was still skittish but that was to be expected.


John walked up behind her and gently put his arms around her and was glad when she didn’t stiffen.  She actually leaned against him. “Honey, Angi talked to us last night. Do you want to go to Italy after the court case is done?”


“I think I do, Daddy.  I just need a little time.  After the case is on the news, and I know it will be, I just want to be away until it calms down.  I know they won’t forget but I think it will be better.”


“And if it isn’t?”


“We can talk about that then.  There are lots of different options to finish high school if I need to. I hate being away from you and Papa but you can come visit sometime this summer and you know Nonna and Nonno love me and will take good care of me.”


“Oh, baby, I am just being selfish.  Your Papa and I will just miss you so much.”


“Oh, I’ll miss you, too, Daddy, but you’re a pilot.  You can come visit. We have money.”


“Oh, yes we do, and when the case is settled, your Papa and I will fly you to Italy.”


Jonna turned and wrapped her arms around him, “I love you and Papa and Matteo so much.”


“We love you, too.  Now, if you are done packing, I’ll take the suitcase.”  John kissed his daughter’s forehead and left.



Dan and Marcus arrived at their house.  Hannah had gotten teary when she said goodbye to Danny and Elliott but after several hugs and kisses from both of them.  Once she was home, Hannah seemed relaxed and happy to have her toys and her bedroom. Dan and Marcus had talked to Becca and Hannah had an appointment with her on Monday.  Dan made sure Hannah was comfortable and then put his arms around Marcus, “Do you mind if I go to the office for a while. Tyler texted me and said they are having trouble getting the video we need.  I am hoping I can talk them into it. If not I will be flying to Vegas.”


“Darling, you are going to Vegas anyway.  I know you aren’t going to let Brian go through this without you.”  Marcus had a bit of an edge on his voice.


“Red?”


“You seem forever worried about Justin and me but I could say the same thing about you and Brian.  There was a time that he fucked you regularly because Justin had shut him out. Should I be worried?”


“Red, you know…..”


“Don’t you dare say you know I love you because I do but you know I love you, too, and if it wasn’t for Hannah, I would be joining you in Vegas to help support Justin.” Marcus walked over to Dan and kissed him.  I love you, Darling Dan. Now go and try to get the evidence we need.”


Dan pulled him close and ground against Marcus, “God, I do love you.  I’ll be back for dinner and after Hannah goes to bed tonight, I plan to show you why you don’t have to worry about Brian.”


“Darling, you show me that every day.  I just want you to realize it is the same for me.” Marcus kissed Dan and then pushed him toward the day.



On Monday morning Justin woke Brian up with a kiss.  “Bri, it’s time for us to get up. I know we packed last night but by the time we shower and eat some breakfast John will be ready to fly us to Vegas.”  Justin looked at Brian, “You’re really worried aren’t you.”


“Well, I’ve done a lot of stupid things in my life and I figure one of these days it is going to come back to bite me in the ass.”


“But Bri, I am the only one allowed to bite that perfect ass.”  Justin reached around and squeezed one of Brian’s cheeks and before he realized it, Brian had him pinned to the mattress. 


“Do we have time for….”


“There is always time for that, Brian.”  Justin cried out as Brian entered him. He held on to Brian as he thrust over and over.  He was glad to see the spark in Brian. He had been worried about him but by the time they were in the shower and Brian slammed him against the wall and fucked him once more, Justin felt much better.  Maybe now that they were facing this he could see an end in it.


Brian and Matty expected to have to stay in Nevada until the end of the trial so they both packed for a visit.  They were going to check into the penthouse of another hotel which would be their home base throughout the trial. John flew Brian, Justin, Matty, and the lawyer in and they all went to the hotel together.  John would fly back home after the hearing in the morning. They expected to be charged with something but the lawyer planned to go to the district attorneys’ office this afternoon to get an idea of what the charges might be.  They were hoping they would be offered bail so they could turn around and go back to the hotel. 



Brian and Justin lay in bed waiting for the alarm to go off.  “Sunshine, we need to talk.”


“I can think of something else we could do.” Justin’s hand trailed down Brian’s body to his cock.


Brian moved his hand to his chest instead, “Justin, this is serious. There is a chance, maybe a good chance, that I won’t be coming back here tonight. If I have to wait in jail until trial, promise me you won’t stay here the whole time. Go back home part of the time.  Spend time with the kids and grandkids. Gage and Taylor will worry if they hear I am in jail. If we are staying at the hotel and I can talk to them every day, they won’t know the difference. Sunshine, for all we know they could put the trial off for months and if they do, I could be locked up for months if they think I’m a flight risk.  I am more worried about Matty than me. I….”


“Brian, my love,” he moved his hand up to Brian’s face and then kissed him.  “I don’t want to think that way but if you have to stay a while I will split my time.  Brian hugged Justin tightly. He kissed him, not in a mad passionate way but in a soul stealing, I need you to breath kind of kiss.


“I love you, Sunshine.  I know you will do what is best for the family,” Brian got up then and went to take a shower.


John and Matteo shared the other bedroom in the suite.  Long before the sun was up, Matty lay awake. He finally got out of bed and used the restroom and when he came back, he slipped into John’s bed.  “Dad, are you awake?”


John wrapped his arms around his son. “I woke up a while ago.  I thought you were awake from your tossing and turning. Matty, no matter what happens today, your family is here for you.”


“Dad, I’m so scared.  I don’t know if I can handle prison.  I ….I know I’m soft and the guys that would be in there are, well….being raped daily isn’t what I ….. I was so stupid...so stupid.” Matty started crying, tearing John’s heart out. 


“Oh, Matteo.” John held his son tight and Matty clung to him.  “You know your Papa and I will do anything we can to help you. So will Jonna.   We love you, son.”


“Oh, Daddy, I know that. I ….” he stopped talking and weeped.  John cried along with his son. As the sun rose, so did Matty and John.  They both showered and put on suits. When Brian came out of his room, Matty and John were already in the main room.  Brian hugged and kissed both of them.


“I ordered a breakfast cart,” John commented.  “Where’s Justin?”


“I heard the shower turn off when I walked out.  He should be out soon. Matty walked back to the bedroom and Brian looked at John, “How is he holding up?”


“He’s not. He is scared to death he is going to be locked up.”


“Well, Dan has already talked to someone at the police department and he will have something set up that if the judge will go for it, we will turn our passports in and we will be on house arrest here, rather than in jail, with a police officer outside the door at all times.”


“Uncle Brian, do you think the judge will really go for that?”


Brian walked over and pulled Matteo close, “Our lawyer is going to do his best. I will do anything to keep you out of jail.”  Matty just nodded, not being able to find words. Brian reached for his head, “I think the tension is getting to me, too.”


Justin walked out just as Brian took a couple painkillers.  “ You alright, Brian?” He walked over to him.


“Ya, just stress.” There was a knock on the door.  “That’s either breakfast or our lawyer.” Brian walked over and opened the door.  The breakfast cart and the lawyer had arrived.


The lawyer reviewed the last few points while people picked at their food.  “I think, if you are all ready, we better leave.”



Half an hour later they were sitting in the courthouse.  Brian and Justin held hands while John stood with an arm around Matty.  To everyone’s surprise, Dan, Tony, Jonna, and Gus appeared.


“What are you all doing here?” Brian said as Tony and Jonna each hugged John and Matty and Brian and Justin each hugged Gus and then Dan.


“Where else would be, Pops?” Gus looked at both his dads.  “Brinn really wanted to come but her test is less than a week away and with the baby….”  


“Oh, Gus, we understand.  We’ll make sure we call her as soon as all this is done today.”


Justin pulled Gus close and whispered, “I am so glad you are here.  He is really scared.”


Their lawyer walked up to the small group and nodded at the newcomers.  “It is time to go in. The judge is taking a short break and then he will be ready for us.”


Just before entering the courtroom a man walked up to Dan.  They spoke for just a minute and then Dan followed his friends into the room.  Once the arraignment had started, the judge had the district attorney read the charges that Brian and Matty would be charged with. Each man’s charges were read separately.  They were both charges with several smaller charges that included unlawful entry but the biggest charge was premeditated murder. 


Brian’s lawyer brought up the fact that murder was not part of the plan.  The judge was not sympathetic. Everyone was sure that the judge was about to hold the men until the case was prosecuted but before he could go on, the bailiff walked up to the judge and whispered something.  The judge said he needed a five minute break and left the courtroom. The lawyers looked at each other in confusion. The procedure was basically done so the judge had to be looking into something to do with this case.  


The judge was back in less than five minutes.  “I apologize for the interruption. I was just informed that the Mr. Kinneys are willing to take house arrest with both ankle bracelets and guards. I normally would not let someone’s financial status have an affect on my decision but I will allow Matteo and Brian Kinney to be held at their hotel with two guards at all times and they will not be allowed to leave.You will be responsible to pay all expenses associated with this house arrest.  Gentlemen, just be aware if you break any of the rules which you will get a written list of, you will be taken to jail. Your powerful connections will not be able to sway me then. The trial will start four weeks from today. You will be taken to the hotel by the waiting policemen and from then on the cost is yours. A sigh rolled over everyone in the courtroom.


The District Attorney’s office tried to protest but it was over and the judge left the courtroom. 


Brian turned around and kissed Justin and Gus before looking at Dan, “Where did the judge go?”


Dan smiled, “He got a call from the governor. It happens that my mother in law served on a committee together when the governor was in the House of Representatives.  I guess it is good to have a powerful mother in law.” Brian hugged Dan. We owe Judith and Marcus bigtime.”


“Well, glad we could help. I have an appointment so I have to leave but will either come by the hotel or call before I go back home. I need to get back to Hannah and Marcus.”  Dan disappeared through the doors. 


Tony and John stood off to the side kissing.  Gus chuckled, as he stood with his dads. “According to Jonna, they were like this the whole time they were at the Villa.”


“Good for them.  They have been married twenty years and they still love each other. I think they realize how much with everything going on.”  Justin said as he put an arm around Gus. “Thank you for coming. I know how busy you are.”


“I couldn’t be anywhere else today but we are heading back yet tonight.  Tomorrow I go back down to L.A. We are planning on living there for the summer.  The kids will love the beach.”


“Yes, that will be good for all of you.”


“We will come back the first of August so we are around when the baby comes.”


“That sounds perfect, Gus. And I should be home by then.  I can’t see the trial taking more than a few days so I should be back home in six weeks,” Brian said with confidence but Justin still moved a step closer to him and wrapped his arms around him.


Matty stood with his arms around Jonna, “I know how hard it was for you to come here today.  I know you aren’t fond of being out in public.”


“Matty, you are here because of me.  The least I could do was show up. I’m going to miss you while you are here.  I know you were gone when you were in college but I got used to having you around again.”


“Well, when I come back I plan to go to school in the area, if I can figure out what I want to do.”


“Matty, you could do anything, you know.  Just make sure you love whatever it is.” Jonna said wisely.


“Oh, Jonna, I hope to find it. Let’s go break up our dads before they embarrass us and themselves.”


Soon the whole group was moving out.  Brian and Matty had to ride in the back of a police car while the rest of the family followed in a car.  Once they arrived at the hotel the guards one at a time looked through the suite. Then Brian and Matty had to review the rules which included no more than two visitors each at one time.  Since Justin was a permanent fixture that meant that another three people could be in at once. That meant the family couldn’t all come in.at once which made it awkward. Brian said goodbye to Gus and Justin stayed out in the lobby with him so Matty could have his whole family with him. Justin ordered a couple coffees and he and Gus sipped on it while they talked. 


“Gus, how are you, really?  I know what you say but I still see that look. Have you heard from Seth?”


“No, and I don’t expect to.  Damn, I loved him so much. I loved him, like I love Shelby but I know my family needed to come first.”


“But that doesn’t fill in that empty spot?”


“I really do know it is what had to happen for everyone but that doesn’t stop the ache,” Gus dropped his head on Justin’s shoulder.  “Daddy, take care of Pops. I will come when I can.”


“I know you will son,” Justin kissed Gus’ forehead.  



John and Tony kept the conversation light and soon John got a call from the pilot that flew them this morning letting them know the plane was scheduled to fly out in an hour.  This meant it was time for them to leave. “Matteo, we will be back soon.” John said.


“I know.  I want you two to keep your normal life up until the case.  I know then you will be missing work then.” Matty hugged his family one at a time and then turned and walked into his room, shutting the door.


“He  will be fine for now.  You know Justin will take care of both of us,”  Brian tried to reassure them.


“We know that, Uncle Brian.  It is just going to be tough for both of you to be locked up here for four solid weeks.”


“Does he have a girlfriend or a boyfriend right now?” Brian asked.


“No, he is still close with Caitlin but she’s back in school in New Orleans. I will talk to some of his friends and try to get them to visit.”  Jonna said.


Brian gave her a hug but felt her tighten up.  “I’m sorry, Jonna.”


“I know I would never have to worry about you, Uncle Brian but my body seems to have a mind of its own.”


“You are amazing, Jonna.  I will watch over your brother and you watch over your dads."

 

Soon it was just the three of them.  Brian and Matteo would not be leaving the hotel suite for the next four weeks.  It was going to be a long four weeks for all of them.