- Text Size +

Chapter 19


The next four weeks was a challenge for all of them.   Brinn’s bar exam came and went but Brian and Justin had not heard anything about the results.  It was Saturday morning when there was a knock on the door of the suite. Justin went to see what the guard wanted.  He opened the door to see a familiar officer. “Hey, Bob, what’s up?” Justin had gotten to know the regular officers and had built a bit of a friendship with them.


“I just got a call from the front desk saying there was a feisty, pregnant woman trying to get up here.  Her ID said her name was Chase.” Before the words were out of his mouth Justin was on the private penthouse elevator going to the lobby.  Moments later the doors opened and Justin opened his arms to his daughter and son in law.  


“Oh, Brinn, why didn’t you tell us you were coming?” He looked at his daughter and at her growing stomach.  “How is that little sweetheart in there?”


“She’s glad her mama is done studying and so is her daddy.” Zach said as he put an arm around his wife.  


“Well, let’s go up to the penthouse.  You are just what Matty needs, not to mention your dad.”


“How is Matty? I am not so worried about Dad.  He has you but Matty has to be getting really edgy.”

“He is.  The two of you will definitely brighten his day.”


“Oh, I almost forgot to tell you, George is here, too.  Can you let the officer know he will be here in a couple hours.  I heard you had a couple extra rooms for sleeping. We hope to stay a couple nights.”


They stepped off the elevator and Bob opened the suite for them.  “Where the hell did you go?” Brian’s voice came from the bedroom.


“Why don’t you come out and see?” Brinn’s sassy voice came back.


“BRINN!” Brian came rushing out and swooped Brinn up.  “It is so good to see you. Didn’t you have your big test this week?”


“I did.”  Brinn said as Brian settled her back on the floor.


“And?”  Justin asked, “Did you pass?”


“You are looking at the latest member of the California Bar and I have been accepted as your lawyer’s assistant.”  A cheer went up.


“What’s going on…..” Matteo walked out of his room and when he saw his sister he rushed to her.  “Oh, Brinny!” he picked her up and spun her.


“I wish everyone would stop spinning me.  Little Miss Thing doesn’t like it.” 



It was nearly dinner time when there was a knock on the door.  When it was opened, George walked in. He shook hands with Brian and Justin and then walked over to Matty, and they hugged. 


“It’s good to see you, George,” he said softly.  After a night of good food and good company, first Brinn and Zach went to a room down the hall from their suite.  Brian and Justin left George and Matty in the main room when they went to bed. “If you want to go to your room….”


“Did I see a hot tub out there on that rooftop patio?”


“You did but George you don’t have to….”  George put an arm around Matty’s shoulders and they walked out to the tub.


As they stripped and then sat in the tub, George looked at Matty and saw the sadness in his eyes.  “How are you, Matty, really?”


Matty was silent for a moment and then he dropped his head in his hands.  George moved over to Matty and wrapped his arms around him. Matty dropped his head onto George’s shoulder.  “All of this is because of me and now I think I am going to go crazy staying here. I love my uncles but they are different than friends and hell, I have gotten three college credits in the last week because I finished a whole course.  And I know I still have to stay here probably another month. I don’t know if I can take this and then I will probably have jail time….’


“Oh, Matty, you can’t think that way!” George moved away just far enough so Matty had to lift his head and he looked at George, “You are not going to stay in jail.  You are going to beat this!” Matty started leaning toward him and George said, “Why the hell do you make me feel like this?” George pulled Matteo to him and kissed him. Matty clung to him as they kissed.  


“Will you sleep with me tonight?”


George stood and offered Matty his hand, “Let’s go to bed.”  


As the sun came up Matteo lay in George’s arms. They had kissed and touched and slept.  Matty woke and his hand moved down to George’s cock. They hadn’t made love but now, after getting some sleep he wanted something more.  He moved under the blankets and took George’s cock in his mouth. George was instantly wide awake and reacting to Matty. George’s fingers dug into the mattress as he lost control and then Matty moved back up and they again were laying in each other’s arms.


“Thanks, George.  I needed someone last night and not for sex, although I just enjoyed myself very much.”


“I’m not complaining,” George smiled. “Can I ask you something?”


“I just had your dick in my mouth, I think you can ask me anything,” the true smile on Matty’s lips made him feel good.


“Do you feel weird knowing your sister and I….?”


“No, it just tells me she has good taste in the person she gets comfort from. It means my niece will have a great heart.” He kissed him lightly, “Do you think we can get that up once more? I could use a little more distraction, if you don’t mind.  I know you aren’t really into men.”


“No, I’m not but there is something about you, Matteo Montefiore, that makes my heart skip a beat.  I still don’t think of myself as bi but I will take a night with you anytime but you really need to find …..” George stopped.  “I’m sorry. Of course you can’t find a date.” They kissed once more and then Matty turned on his stomach and stuck his ass in the air.  George glanced around. He saw lube by the side of the bed but no condoms..


“Matty, do you have a condom?


“Shit, no.”


“Well,” George put some lube on his finger.  He had little experience with this but he remembered how amazing it felt.  He gently probed Matty’s bud and began to massage it until his fingertip slipped in and then George guided his finger in a bit farther and began to rub both inside and with the other hand he stroked Matty’s perineum.  In moments, Matty nearly screamed at the top of his lungs as his entire body trembled as he came hard and fast.  


As Matteo laid down and tried to get his breath back, they both heard footsteps coming toward the door. “Sir, are you alright?” The police officer who was on duty was now at Matty’s door. “Mr. Montefiore was that you or your, um, guest?”


Next they heard Justin’s voice, “I’ll check on my nephew.”


“I can’t let you do that, sir.  He is under house arrest and he had an overnight guest.  I need to check on both of their safety.”


“Matty, George, will you let the officer know you are both alright?” Justin’s voice came through the door.


Both Matty and George said, “We’re fine,” the door opened a couple inches and both Matty and George peaked out. 


“Sir,” the officer addressed George, “you are in there of your own free will, aren’t you?”


“Yes, officer, I was just helping Matty with an itch he couldn’t scratch.”


Justin guided the officer out the door and then locked it.  Matty and George came out of the room in robes. “I can only imagine what you two were up to but I am going to see if Brian is up to it right now.” Justin walked back into their bedroom and shut the door.  Justin got in bed and pulled Brian close, “Looks like Matteo got a little relief this morning. I would love….”


“Can you believe that girl of ours?  She passed the bar and now she is going to help defend us.”  


“Did you expect any less from that, Brian?” Justin’s mouth first brushed Brian’s lips and then Brian flipped him and began devouring his lips, his whole mouth.


Brian meticulously first explored every millimeter of his mouth and then moved lower.  Just as Brian had made it to Justin’s cock, there was a knock on the door. “Daddy, Dad, may I come in,” both men groaned at the sound of Brinn’s voice.


“I don’t suppose you could wait thirty minutes?” Justin said as Brian’s tongue began to run along the underside of his cock.  “Oh, god…” Justin said softly.


“We’ll order breakfast.  Have fun!” they heard Brinn walk away.  


Moments later, Brian entered Justin and he was in no rush.  He moved in and out, kissing Justin between strokes. He could see the look on Justin’s face and knew he would only be able to hold off a couple more strokes.  Brian looked at the beautiful expressive face of his husband as he brought him to the edge and then over it. Justin held onto Brian as his body stopped trembling. As they both started to breathe normally again, Justin pressed the full length of his body against Brian, “I suppose we should go join our family.”


“If we must. I would rather just feel your body against mine all day,” Brian grabbed Justin’s ass and pressed them tightly together and then Brian buried his head in the crook of Justin’s neck.  “I have to be around to hold that baby.”


“You will be, Brian.  With her defending you, do you think she will allow any other ending?”


After a quick shower, they dressed.  Justin picked up his phone, “Bri, I have a message I need to answer.  I’ll be out in a few minutes.” After Brian had left Justin called Tammy.


“Hey, Justin, how are you?”


“I’m alright but do you think you can come over someday this week?  I know John is coming to visit early this coming week. Maybe you could come along?”


“What is it, Justin?”


“He’ll never admit it but Brian is depressed and I think that is understandable but do you think there is anything you could give him for it?”


“I’ll talk to John.  I will bring along something very legal for him.  Hopefully it will just take the edge off.”


“Thanks, Tammy.”


“You don’t think he would do anything to ….”


“Oh, no.  He is focused on that new baby and….well, although his libido isn’t anything to laugh at it isn’t what it usually is but I think that is understandable.  I love that man.”


“Justin, no one has ever doubted that.  I will be there whenever John is coming.”


“Thanks, Tammy.” Justin let out a sigh of relief and put a smile on his face as he went out  Tammy would tell him everything was as expected under the circumstances. Maybe he was the one that needed something.  He couldn’t wait to be back at the vineyard or even better in Ibiza.



George, Brinn, and Zach left at the end of the weekend but Brinn and Zach would be coming back next week and would be staying here until after the trial.  The floor below them was now set up as offices for their lawyers and the floor below that was for visitors. This was headquarters until the trial was done.


Tammy and John arrived midweek.  John and Matty started a game tournament.   And Tammy approached the situation head on. “So Brian, I brought my bag along so I can give you a physical.”


Brian chuckled, “Can’t wait to see me naked?  I don’t need a physical.”


“Ok, maybe physical is the wrong word.” Brian was now staring at Justin.


“What the fuck did you do, Justin?  I’m not fucking you twice a day? I’m not getting you off as often as I do when we are in our comfortable home sipping wine?”


“What the hell are you doing, Brian?” Tammy glared at Brian.


Justin shrugged and walked out of the room.  Normally one of Brian’s outbursts wouldn’t affect Justin but right now he couldn’t deal with it.  He didn’t stop walking. He left the hotel for the first time in a couple weeks.  


Tammy watched Justin leave the room and then turned to Brian, “Are you proud of yourself? You have a husband that loves you, that will do anything for you.  He just thought you could use a little something to help with the tension of all of this but, no, big bad Brian had to snap.”


Brian just collapsed on the bed.  He took off his shirt and offered his arm to Tammy so she could take his blood pressure.  After the blood pressure, she listened to his chest and then glared at him. “You know you can be an asshole.” She dropped on the bed next to him.


“I know.  Do you think that you have something that will help this mood?”


“You know as well as I do, nothing will completely take away this mood but I do think I can give you something that will help. Now, don’t you think you should apologize to Jusitn?”


Brian pulled his shirt back on and kissed her cheek, “Yes, I’ll talk to him.”  Two hours later, Brian was still waiting to apologize. He had not yet heard from Justin, even though he had texted multiple times.  “Do you suppose I finally pushed him too far?”


“I am sure he just needed a little fresh air.  I will go check the lobby. Maybe he is just having a drink or drinking some coffee. I’ll be right back.”  But Tammy didn’t see him anywhere. She texted him with no response so she headed back upstairs. When she walked in, Brian stood there holding Justin’s phone. “No wonder he didn’t respond. He’ll be back.  Give him a little space.”


Justin wandered the streets.  He knew he shouldn’t have left but he needed a little space. He noticed one of the hotels had an art show going on and he walked in.  He smiled when he saw his own name on the list of featured artists. The paintings were part of a traveling show and had a great variety of artists.  As he stood looking at the painting of one of his favorite artists an attractive man walked up to him. “Excuse me, but aren’t you Justin Taylor-Kinney?”


Justin wasn’t totally surprised he was recognized but he was surprised this young man used his full name.  In the art world Kinney was rarely added. “Yes, I am.”


“I was fairly sure it was.  I’m not a stalker but I am a big fan.  I have several of your pieces myself. I don’t want to interrupt but could I buy you a cup of coffee? By the way, my name is Trenton Daniels.”


Justin shook his hand and smiled at him, “I’d love a cup of coffee.”  


As the men sat in a coffee shop the men got acquainted. They talked about Justin’s art and Justin found out Trent was an author and he was looking for a new place to call home.  He wanted something in the mountains, maybe a vineyard. Justin talked about their vineyard and what a great area it was. “I have a friend who is a realtor. I am sure Marcus could help you find the right place if you like the area.” Justin took Trent’s phone and put in Marcus’ information.  “I’ll message him and let him know you might be calling.” By the time they had shared information and finished their coffee, it had been hours since Justin had left. “I have really enjoyed meeting you, Trent, but I need to get going. I hope you decide to move to our area.”


After they said goodbye, Justin rushed back to the hotel and up the penthouse.  When he got to the floor the officer at the door let out a sigh. It was Bob, “Am I glad to see you.  I don’t think Mr. Kinney would have stayed there much longer.” 


“Sorry, I’ll go face the music.” Before he even opened the door, he heard Brian.  He wasn’t actually yelling but his voice was extremely stressed. Justin took a breath and walked through the door. When Brian saw him, he took a step toward him but then stopped..  He had been such an ass. He often wondered why Sunshine came back to him. Instead of going to Justin he walked to their bedroom. He was sure Justin wouldn’t want to deal with him right now.


“Are you alright?”  Tammy asked him.


“Ya, I’m sorry I left you to deal with him.  I just needed a break.”


“Don’t worry about me.  Go talk to him,” Tammy patted his shoulder.  “By the way, he is fine. I will give you the pills when I come back.  I am going out for a bit. I will bring something back for the five of us for dinner.”


“Thanks, Tammy, for everything. I was able to just walk out.  He and Matteo are stuck.” Justin kissed Tammy’s cheek and moved toward the bedroom.


Tammy walked out the door as Justin entered the bedroom and found Brian staring out the window.  “I shouldn’t have left, especially without my phone.” Justin walked over and touched his shoulder.


Brian shrugged off his hand but turned around. “I ….”


“Brian, I just needed a little space. I got lost in an art show.” Justin didn’t need to explain that.  Brian knew what art did for his husband. “I love you, Brian. I just wanted Tammy to give you a little something to help.”


Brian pulled Justin against him and when their mouths met, all was forgotten.



Finally it was time for the trial.  The night before the opening statements, all of their friends and family were in Las Vegas.  Even Marcus managed to come, bringing Hannah with him. Judith was also there. She would stay with Hannah at the hotel with her personal bodyguard and one of Dan’s men with them at all times.  That was the only way Marcus and Dan would leave her. Family and friends took turns visiting up on the penthouse but they were limited to four guests at a time due to the judges rules.  


Hannah and Jonna were enjoying time together but at one point Hannah and Jonna realized everyone was out of the room. Jonna froze.  “Dad? Papa?” her voice had a note of pure panic in it and then she screamed. Hannah looked shocked and then scared as Tony and Dan came running from right outside the open door.  


“Hannah, why don’t you go with your Dad.  I am sure Jonna would love to play a little later.” Tony wrapped his arms around Jonna and as Dan walked out with Hannah, he sent a text to John to tell him to come to the suite. Tony sat on a chair and pulled Jonna onto his lap.  “Oh, Jonna, we aren’t going to leave you. We were right outside the door. I’m so sorry. John came rushing in with Becca right behind him. She waited at the door while Tony and John calmed Jonna down. She was so brave on the outside it was easy to forget the trauma she was still going through.


“I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t have reacted like that.  I knew I was safe.”

Now Becca walked in, “Of course your mind knew you were safe but, honey, our bodies react irrationally some times.” John and Tony slipped out as Jonna and Becca began to talk.  It was the trial that was frightening her. He couldn’t get her but the story would be dug up. She knew she would have to face it. “Jonna, there is nothing wrong with you staying here tomorrow with Hannah.  Yes, there will be a day you have to be there but your brother will totally understand if you can’t face it.”


“Are you sure, Aunt Becca?”


“I am very sure.  Why don’t you go talk to him now and later, when you know you need to be there, we can talk you through it, alright, honey?”  Jonna hugged her aunt and sighed with relief.



Brinn had been locked up with Brian’s other lawyers all day but now she was heading to Zach and their suite.  As she walked in, Zach pulled her close and kissed her, “You need to go to bed and get some sleep.”


“You know you can go hang out with everyone else.  I just need a quiet night.”


“Well, I can think of no better way than to spend the evening with my wife and Little Miss Thing.”  He rested his hand on her stomach and then he worked it under her shirt. He loved the feel of her changing body.  Her breasts were getting so marvelously firm, he could spend hours kissing and touching them. “Why don’t you shower or take a bath and I will order some dinner for the three of us.”


Brinn ran a hand from his cheek, down his chest, and rested on his crotch.  “I think I will wait on the shower because I plan to work up quite a sweat after dinner.”  As Brinn lowered his fly and slipped her hand inside, Zach decided dinner could wait.


As the night moved on, the officer at the door began to clear people off the floor.  Tony was staying with Matteo while John stayed with Jonna. Becca and Peter were sleeping in the other bedroom of their suite so if Jonna had another problem she would be close.  Becca had decided she would stay back with Hannah and Jonna tomorrow. She wasn’t excited to go to court anyway. Maybe tomorrow her niece would learn a little about her history and realize she really could understand.


Gus was the only important person not there yet.  He would be there by morning with Shelby. Gus had been in LA for a meeting all day but they would drive all night, along with Molly,  to be there by opening remarks. The children were staying with Brenda who was also helping Tyler with his kids while he was running Dan’s business for him.


Brian and Justin lay in bed but neither slept.  They just waited for the sun to rise and when it did they made love before showering and dressing.  The medication Tammy had prescribed for Brian had the desired effect and as they waited for Matty and John in the living room, he seemed calm.


“Are you alright, Brian? Can I do anything for you?”


Brian pulled him close, “I think you did it for me a couple times this morning. Can you believe our baby is going to be at the table with me?”


“And once she helps clear you and Matty, you and I are going to Ibiza for a while.  We don’t have anything else planned until that baby comes in August.”


“I can handle a month naked with you,” Brian grabbed Justin just as Matty and John came out of their room.  Matty definitely did not seem calm.  


“You two never do stop do you,” John commented just as there was a knock on the door and two officers walked in and escorted Brian and Matteo to the elevator and then into a squad car. John and Justin had been allowed to ride down in the elevator with them and as the car pulled away, John and Justin held hands.


“Dad,” Justin heard Gus’ voice and he turned  to see his son, daughter in law and sister walking up from the side. Justin was so glad they were here.  They hugged and Molly took her place next to her brother. She planned to stay next to him today.


By the end of the first day,the introduction by the judge and after lunch both lawyers made their opening statements.  For Brian, his charges were accessory to murder while Matteo was being charged with the murder of John Smith. There were also some lesser charges including  assault and battery and illegal entry. Matteo, if convicted of murder could spend more than 20 years in prison although everyone kept trying to reassure him that was not likely.


The Kinney team, with the help of Dan and his men, had tracked down a video that saw Mr. Smith having a physical altercation with a man on the street but the witness had a wrap sheet and the only video was from after the fight and it looked more like he was drunk than injured.  Dan still had men trying to track down a person that Smith talked to on the video hoping the man could verify he was hurt.  


Most of the family left after the second day.  By the third day Gus, John, Dan, and Molly were still there. No one knew how long this would take but everyone had to go on with their lives.  Tony had to get back to Kinney Enterprises. John planned to fly Molly, Gus and Dan home on Friday while Jenn was flying in for the next week. They were going to make sure someone besides Justin was always available for them. Of course Brinn and Zach would be around. Jonna would be required to be there next week sometime when Matty and Brian’s lawyer would question her about her brother. They knew he would be gentle but the prosecutor might not be so kind. 


Friday was a half day at court.  Brian, Justin, and Matty, along with Brinn and Zach said goodbye to those leaving and then the five of them proceeded to the hotel.  Once Jenn arrived, the six of them ate dinner in the penthouse of course and Brinn, Zach and Matty went into Matty’s room for a video game tournament.  Matty needed to stop thinking. He was starting to go stir crazy in this room. He knew it was far better than sitting in jail but he wasn’t sure how much longer he could take this.  Thank god, Brinn and Zach were around.


Jenn wanted to hear all about the first week of the trial.  Justin could feel Brian getting antsy. “Brian, if you want to go to bed early or if you have some work to do, I’m sure Mom will understand.”


“Oh Brian, of course, I’m sorry.  The last thing you want to do is sit here and rehash this week.”


“It’s fine, Jennifer, but if you don’t mind, I think I will go to the room.  Peter sent me some papers I need to go over. That young man is quiet and may not be as family oriented as John but he is one hell of a businessman.” Brian kissed Justin and then Jenn before leaving the room.  


Jenn stood and sat down next to Justin on the sofa. She wrapped her arms around her son as Justin dropped his head on her shoulder.  “Honey, how is he and how are you, really?”


“Oh, Mom, we have been stuck here so long.  Obviously, I am glad they didn’t get locked up but the waiting, the uncertainty is just so hard.”


“Oh, Justin,” Jenn placed her hand on Justin’s cheek.  “I can’t imagine how hard it has been on all of you. Matty is obviously not doing too well.”


“No, and I am not sure how he will hold up if he or they are found guilty. Mom, what if….”


“Sh, honey.”


“Daddy,” they hadn’t heard Brinn come in, “we are not going to let that happen.  The prosecutor hasn’t impressed me so far. Yes, they have some evidence but I think we can counteract that, especially with the women jurors who will connect with Jonna and her big brother, Matty.”


“How are you feeling, Brinn?  How is my great….why do I have trouble saying great grand daughter? I know I already have three but Gus could barely be Justin’s biological son.  You know I love all of them but this little one is going to look just like you.”


“Lulu, come get your phone!  It’s ringing.” Zach’s voice came from Matty’s room. “It’s your boss.”  


Brinn ducked in the room and came right back out.  She stepped out on the rooftop patio and answered the phone,  “Hello, boss. What’s up? I thought you were on your way to …..”  Brinn stopped talking. “Oh, god, NO!”


Justin rushed out to the patio. “What is it, Brinn?”


Brinn held up a finger while she finished listening.  She then ended the call as Justin put his arm around her waist.  “Brinny, what is it?”


“Daddy, my boss is dead.  Dad and Matty’s lawyer is dead!”


“What? How?”  Justin asked 


“He had a heartache.” Jenn went to get Zach while Justin led Brinn to a chair. “He was on a plane.  They made an emergency landing but it was too late. Oh, Daddy what’s going to happen to Dad and Matty?”


Zach rushed in and dropped to his knees next to his wife.  He held onto her while behind them Matty dropped into a chair, looking stunned. “What are we going to do?  Who is going to represent us for the rest of our case?”


“Oh, Matty,” Brinn stood and walked over to her brother.  “Don’t worry, Matty, we have several other lawyers and I can get them up to speed.  I have been on this for more than a month right now. I don’t think I can handle it but I can help.  I can give them all the information. Don’t worry, Matty. I think we could all use some sleep. Brinn took Matty’s hand and led him to his bedroom.  Justin watched from the bedroom door as Brinn literally tucked Matty in bed and then kissed him. “You let your big sister worry about everything right now.” Brinn walked to the door where Justin was standing.  


“Matty, if you need anything just knock on our door.”  He softly shut the door.


“Brinn, do you really think the other lawyers can handle this?”


“They’ll have to. I’m going to head back to our room and start making some calls.”


“And then get some sleep, sweety.  If not for you for Little Miss Thing.”


“I’ll make sure she sleeps.” Zach said as he took his wife from Justin. 


Justin kissed his daughter,  “We’ll get through this. Everything will work out.”


Justin looked at Jenn, “Mom, I need to tell Brian.  Not only was he his lawyer but they had been friends for years, too.”


“I’ll see you in the morning, Justin.  I will be around for a while. We can get caught up later.”  Jenn hugged Justin and went to a room down the hall.


Brian was laying on the bed staring at the ceiling.  He didn’t look at Justin as he walked in. Justin could tell he had already found out. He moved onto the bed and Brian moved closer to him.  Justin pulled him close. “I’m sorry about your friend, our friend.”


“So am I and I’m feeling worse because the first thing I thought about was our case.  What are we going to do?”


“Brinn is working on it. We will figure it out tomorrow.  Have you taken your pill?”


“Ya, and it is starting to take effect.” Brian said groggily. 


Justin stroked his cheek and then quickly shed his shirt and pants.  He pulled Brian close and ran his hand along Brian’s back and sighed as Brian’s hand came and rested on his cock. “Good night, darling.” Justin kissed the top of his head and felt Brian drift off.


The judge delayed the case for a week, giving the lawyers time to reorganize.  This was helpful to the case but added more time for confinement for Brian and Matty.  Jenn decided to go spend time with Molly and would come back the next week. Justin noticed Brian and Matty handling the time very differently.  Matteo seemed unable to be alone. Zach spent most of the day with him. On the other hand, Brian didn’t seem to want to be around anyone, including Justin.  


By Thursday Justin slept on the sofa.  Brian was so surly Justin decided it wasn’t worth feeling him next to him.  It was 5:00 a.m. when Matty came out of his room, flipping on the lights. When he saw Justin he stopped dead in his tracks.


Justin blinked and looked at him.  “Hey, Matty. You’re up early.” Justin saw the look on his face. He sat up and patted the sofa next to him.”


“Thanks but I can’t sit.  That’s why I got up. I feel like every nerve in my body is trying to get out of my own skin.  I just want to get this done and I hate feeling like this knowing a family is without their husband and father but all I can think about is getting this over with and if I get found guilty of murder, what I will do.  I just can’t live locked up. I won’t live like that.”


“Oh Matty, don’t say things like that. Brinn will do anything for you and so will Jonna and if Jonna can survive that bastard, you will survive whatever you have to.”


“But, Uncle Justin, I am a pampered rich kid.  They will all know it. I won’t make it 24 hours without being raped or they will put me in solitary and I’m not sure what would be worse. I….”


Justin stood and hugged Matty.  “Have faith in Brinn. Has she ever failed at anything she’s done? And I wasn’t supposed to tell you but I think you need to know, Caitlin is coming for the weekend. She wants to spend time with you and Zach since Brinn will be busy.”


“Cait is coming?” Matty kissed Justin and instantly looked less stressed. “Thanks, Justin.  I needed something to look forward to.” Justin rumpled Matty’s hair, so much like all the other Kinney’s.  As Matty walked to his room, Justin walked toward his. He needed to feel Brian’s body against him, even if he didn’t wake up.  In fact, it might be better if he didn’t. Justin undressed and got into bed. He pressed himself against Brian. He gently draped an arm around his waist.  He couldn’t resist as he gently kissed Brian’s shoulder blade. He felt Brian’s body tremble so he moved his hand lower until it grazed Brian’s cock.


“I’m sorry I’ve been such an asshole,” Brian said softly.  


“I understand but I have an asshole that doesn’t.” 


Brian turned over and kissed Justin.  “I think I might be able to help it understand.” Brian rolled Justin to his back and gently positioned one of his legs on his shoulder while the injured one lay to the side as Brian moved into him. At first he moved slowly but then he lost his restraint and soon was slapping over and over against Justin’s ass and then they cried out simultaneously. At least something in their world had found balance again.


The first day back in the courtroom one of the other partners started the questioning but more than once he had to turn to Brinn for information.  After the lunch break the judge called the lawyers into his office. He looked at the Kinney team and said, “I understand you have had a tragedy but we cannot prolong this trial any longer.  Are you up to the task?”


“Excuse me, Judge. I would be willing to take over as lead if you would allow it.”


“You are not licensed in Nevada but these are unusual circumstances and I think we could allow it as long as a licensed attorney is with you at all times.” The judge saw the relief on the other lawyers’ faces.  No one wanted to have to delay this any longer. 


The district attorney took advantage of the little meeting to try to strike a deal, “We could just end this right now.  Matteo goes down for manslaughter while Kinney takes illegal entry and assault and battery. Matteo gets 3-5 years while Mr. Kinney would probably get off with probation.”


“Absolutely not. Mr. Kinney’s I could probably agree with but Matteo did not kill that man.” 


“Are you sure you can try this case with objectivity?”


“I can try this case with heart, which is what all attorneys should do.”


The judge smiled a little, “I suggest we go see how long it will take to wrap this case up?”


“I am guessing two or three days and then closing statements,” Brinn said.  


“Mrs. Chase, would you like the afternoon off to prepare?  There will be no more time off after this. I would like to wrap this up by the end of the week.”


“I will be ready tomorrow morning, sir.”


The judge dismissed for the day.  Brian and Matteo were a little confused. “Brinny, what is going on?”  Brian asked as they waited for their guards for the night.


“Dad, I am going to try the case and he gave us the afternoon off since I promised to end this by the end of the week.”


“Can we really be done that soon?”  Matty had gotten a boost from Caitlin’s visit and now he was glad there was an end in sight.


“Yes, Matteo,” she kissed her brother’s cheek.  “You know I never dink around. Now,” she nodded towards the guards coming their way, “it looks like your ride is here.  I’ll see you at dinner, alright? I am going to stay here with the team and review notes. Oh, and I will have Jonna on the stand the day after tomorrow. We have already let Tony and John know so, Matty, your whole family will be here tomorrow night.”


Matty hugged Brinn, “Thanks, Brinny.” The guards walked away with Brian and Justin while Zach and Justin, along with Jenn, got into the hotel car.


Zach had just stepped out to pick up a few things when his phone rang, “Hey Lulu, do you want me to meet you somewhere for some spontanious sex in public somewhere.”


“Zach, I’m at the hospital, Please come as quickly as you can.” As the line went dead he heard her moan.


As Zach waved down a taxi he called Justin.  “Hey Zach, what can I do for you?”


He filled Justin in on what he knew, “I’ll be there in a few minutes.”  


“Sunshine, what is it? I can see something’s wrong.”


“I have no idea what is going on other than Brinn is at the hospital. I will fill you in as soon as I see her.”   Justin turned to his mom, “please stay here and make sure he does, too.” 


“Justin, you can’t leave me here. I need to be with our girl.”


“Brian, I don’t have time to argue with you.  You cannot leave this suite,” with that Justin left.


Brian paced for ten minutes and then looked at Jenn. “I know you’re going.  I know I can’t stop you.”


Matty came out of his room, “I’m going to, Brian.  She’s my sister.”


“Matty, you can’t take the chance. You already have more chance of time than I do.  I promise I will call Jenn as soon as I know anything. Can you distract the guard? Tell him you heard something outside your window.  That should confuse him on the 45 floor. Get him in your room and then on the patio.”


“Just call me.” Matty said as he opened the door and led the guard into his room.


“Brian, be careful,” Jenn said as he left.


As Justin rushed into the hospital, Zach met him.  “How is she, Zachary?”


“I don’t know? They won’t let me see her yet.”


“Let’s see about that.” Justin would not take no for an answer when the nurse tried to get him to sit down.  They were taken back to the bay Brinn was sitting in. They both hugged and kissed her and then stepped out of the way so the hospital staff could do what they needed to do. 


“Mrs. Chase, we have your results.  You will be glad to know everything is fine.  Your abdominal pains had nothing to do with the baby.  It is more likely your lunch didn’t agree with you and you are dehydrated so since we have you here, and you seem to have insurance that will cover anything we want to do, we are going to give you some fluids through that IV and then….”


“Brinn, where are you?” Justin, Zach, and Brinn all turned toward the hall where Brian came rushing toward them. Brian reached the bed and hugged her.  “Brinny, Sweetheart, how are you? Is my granddaughter alright?”


“Dad, what are you doing here?  You are going to get in so much trouble.” The nurse finished hooking up a clear unit of liquid.  Brinn saw the worried look on Brian’s face. “Daddy, please, go back to the hotel and see if you can sneak back in  the same way you snuck out.”


“I am sure they know I’m gone. I had to see you were …” Brian hugged his daughter.


“I love you, Dad.” She then looked over at Justin, “Daddy, get him back to the hotel.  I will come to the penthouse as soon as I get dismissed.”  


Justin nodded and took Brian’s hand.  “Come on, Bri. You don’t want to add more stress to her, do you? Well, I guess you already have.” Brian could feel the anger rolling off of Justin. It was a completely silent ride except for the call Justin made to the police station and then directing the driver to take them to the city jail. As they pulled up two officers were waiting to escort Brian into the jail.  


“Adding stress to my daughter’s life was just reckless, Brian.  I thought you got your head on straight. I guess I was wrong.”


Justin reached over Brian and opened the door, nearly pushing him out of the car.  As they handcuffed Brian, Justin told the driver to take him to the hotel. Justin looked stoically forward as the drove on.  By the time Brinn and Zach arrived at the penthouse Justin was calmer than when he had kicked Brian out of the car. Brinn had to be his main focus or he would lose his husband and his granddaughter. He knew Brian would realize how stupid he had been by now.


Brinn looked much better and she swore she felt fine.  The doctor gave her the all clear to be at the courthouse tomorrow. “Daddy, where’s dad?”


“I brought him directly to the police station.  I figured if he turned himself in and pleaded temporary insanity he may have a small chance of not getting any additional charges.”


“I agree. That was the best way to deal with the situation.  “Did you talk it over with him in the car?”


“I didn’t talk to him at all.  I was so angry with him for pulling that stunt.”  Brinn put her arms around Justin, “Daddy, we will work it out tomorrow.  I am going to follow the doctor's orders and go to bed now. Good night, Grandma.  I’m glad you are here with Daddy.”


“I’m just glad you are going to be fine.” Jenn wrapped her arms around her granddaughter. “I love you, Brinny.”


“I love you, too, Grandma.” Brinn said and then she hugged Matty before leaving the penthouse.



When the family arrived at the courthouse the next morning, Justin had brought along some clean clothes for Brian to put on before the trial started for the day. He was directed into a small room.  When he walked in, Brian was looking out the window in an orange jumpsuit. He slowly turned and looked at Justin. “Is Brinn alright?”


“She’s fine,” Justin said. “It had nothing to do with the baby.”


Brian sighed, “You were right.  I was stupid for leaving. I just thought about Brinny and…”


Justin took the two steps it took  to close the space between them, “I should have talked to you last night.  I was just so angry that you would risk your freedom.” After a few moments in each other’s arms, Justin said, “You better get changed. I love you too much to be separated from you.” 


“Thanks for these, Sunshine.”  he pointed toward the clothes.


“I’ll step out while you change so neither of us gets sidetracked.” Justin kissed him but then slipped out of the room. 


The day was successful for Brinn.  She did an amazing job questioning the witness of the fight John Smith had earlier.  Brinn asked the right questions and made his testimony credible. At lunch break Dan appeared and pulled Brinn aside.


“Dan, I didn’t expect you back until tomorrow,” Brinn said as she kissed him on the cheek.  “I hope you have something good to tell me.”


“I am working on a deal.  After doing a lot of research, I found a guy that had been arrested the same day Smith died.  He was arrested near the place your witness said he saw the fight.”


“In that area I am sure there are arrests every day.”  Brinn said a little cynically.


.”True, but not all of them have multiple injuries due to a recent fight,” Dan smiled as he watched the light come to Brinn’s eyes.  


“Oh, Uncle Dan, is he willing to talk?”


“I think he might be.  I hate to say this because I know how busy you are and your dads would kill me if I added to your workload but if a beautiful young woman took the time to come see him…”


“Can you set it up for me?  The witnesses this afternoon are just to establish a timeline so one of the other lawyers can handle that. Oh, Uncle Dan, I am feeling pretty good about this case already but that would make all the worst charges go away.” She stopped a moment, “But why would a guy who could be charged for his death help us out?”


“The guy has been locked up more of his life then he has been free.  He is mentally ill and I am thinking with the help of a good lawyer, he could be sent to a hospital for the rest of his life and, Brinn, I believe that is where he belongs.  You wouldn’t have to take his case but we could get him a good lawyer. I would be willing to pay for it. If your dad did it there would be too many questions.”


Brinn was already out the door and talking to her associate before she left the courthouse.  She took enough time to tell Zach she was going with Dan and would be back later before she left. The associate did well but Brian and Matty were both worried about Brinn.  They had no idea where she had gone. They would have been much more worried if she hadn’t left with Dan.


Brinn and Dan arrived at the hotel just as Tony, John and Jonna arrived.  John hugged Brinn for a long time. “You are looking stunning. Miss Thing.  Pregnancy agrees with you.”


“My John, Little Miss Thing has her moments but I can’t wait to meet her and I know I still have about 3 months to wait.”


Tony and Jonna both hugged her before Tony said, “We got your text when the plane landed.  It was very cryptic.”


“I wanted Jonna to know she wouldn’t have to go through any cross examination.” Brinn commented.  


“I won’t?”  Jonna looked so relieved.  


“No, Jonna.  I do think it would help if you spoke for Matty at the sentencing.  Make sure the judge knows he was doing it for you but there will be no questions.  It will just be your feelings.”  

Jonna had tears streaming down her cheeks when Brinn hugged her.  “Now if we go up to the penthouse the rest should be here in moments.  Dad will have to go back to jail but thankfully we are almost done with this and I think the judge will let him go then.”


As they entered the penthouse, the guard at the door said everyone else was arriving and Brinn cleared it that for a few minutes everyone could be in the penthouse before again following the rules of no more than a couple visitors at a time.  A transport guard would wait and then take Brian back to jail for the night.  


When everyone arrived upstairs, Brinn made sure she stood by Brian and put an arm around his waist as he kissed her cheek.  “I’m so glad you and Little Miss Thing are alright.”


“Oh, Daddy, we are both fine and I think you are, too.”  She spoke up so everyone could hear her. “I am so glad to be able to tell you that tomorrow morning rather than continuing the trial as we have been, the judge is going to withdrawal all murder charges.  A convict, arrested the day of Mr. Smith’s death, has confessed to severely beating him early in the day. He actually made a statement that said Smith was coughing up blood before he left him. I am suspecting that the judge will have you come in the morning, officially tell you about the change and then excuse you until the next morning.  That is when you will be able to give personal statements about Brian and Matty before he hands down the sentences.”


“Kinney, time to go now,” the driver said. He cuffed Brian, who was again in an orange jumpsuit.  


“Please, just one minute,” Brian said as he looked at Justin, who immediately walked over. “I need to say goodbye to my husband.”


“You have exactly two minutes,” the guard said and took a couple steps back.


Brian reached above Justin’s head with his handcuffed arms and pulled him close.  “I love you, Sunshine. I’m sorry. I….”


Justin stopped him by kissing him.  He then smiled and said, “You are impossible but I have stuck with you for 30 years, I guess I am not going anywhere.”  They kissed once more before the guard stood right next to them, telling Brian it was time to go now.  


Brinn stepped up to Brian, “I’ll work on this tomorrow. You’re safe there, aren’t you?”


“I’m fine, Brinn.  Love you.”


The group left then.  Tony, John and Jonna stayed with Matty to have some family time while everyone else went out to dinner.  Justin said he would sleep in his mom’s room tonight so Tony and John could stay in their room and Jonna would sleep on the sofa so the family would be all together.


After dinner, Justin laid down on the bed by his mom for a few minutes.  “How are you, Justin? You have gone through a lot the last couple months.”  She put her arms around her son. Her boy was a grown man but he would always be her baby.


“I just want life to go back to normal for all of us. I want my Brian back.”


“Well, it sounds like your baby might give that to you by the end of the week.” Jenn stroked Justin’s arm until she felt him relax.  When she knew he was really asleep, she slipped out of bed and moved to the second one in her room. “Thanks, Mom.” Justin said softly.  “I guess you are never to old to need your mom.”

 

“I hope you are never too old to need me. Goodnight, Justin.”