- Text Size +

Chapter 20


Brinn had been right.  The next morning they went to the courthouse and the judge spoke to the room, “We have gained  information since we dismissed yesterday that Mr. Smith had been injured severely before Mr. Montefiore and Mr. Kinney arrived.  We can handle this two ways. The case can continue as we have, continue calling witnesses, or we can wrap this up quickly. I could review the file and anything else the attorney’s have and then I can make a decision.  Obviously, first degree murder will be removed for Mr. Montefiore. This afternoon, after reviewing all the details I will call Mrs. Chase and the team with what charges will go forward. Tomorrow morning personal impact statements can be given by people your lawyer chooses, and hopefully then by tomorrow afternoon I should have  final decisions and sentences to hand down.”


Brinn did not consult with either her dad or brother before she agreed.  The judge then turned and addressed Brian, “Mr. Kinney, you of course know your little stunt the other night has added a charge to your case. I am going to let you go home with your family tonight only because I don’t think you are a threat to leave at this time. Do I have your word you will stay at your lodging?”


“Yes, sir,” he glanced at Brinn and Justin, “I know my family would kill me if I did that again.”


“Well, I hope they don’t do that.  I really have seen enough of this family.”  The Bailiff told everyone to rise and they were done for the day.


Brian and Matty were escorted back to the hotel.  Unbeknownst to the family, when they arrived at the hotel the guards told the family the judge had lifted the visitation limitations so they could throw a party in the penthouse.  Justin called the dining room and asked them to send up a mini buffet for the dozen plus family and friends that would be there tonight. Brinn and Zach were the first to leave. Brinn had a little work to do and then she was going to take a long bath with her husband, or that is what they called it.  Jenn managed to get a flight out and knowing the worst was over, she needed to get back home.


Everyone else slowly left and then Brian and Justin stood alone in the middle of the suite. Justin ran his hand down Brian’s chest and then around his waist until his hand rested on the small of Brian’s back.  Brian wrapped his arms around Justin. “I could use a long, hot, active shower.” he kissed Justin long and leisurely. He then separated from him and took his hand, leading him into the shower. Once they were under the streaming water they kissed and touched and then as Brian turned Justin toward the glass wall, he felt Brian sag   against him.


“Bri?”


“I’m fine.  I just am having a hard time letting it sink in.”


“Oh, I think you know how to sink in just fine.  As he turned his head to kiss Brian, he did just that. Justin felt the invasion and let himself relax to take him all the way in.” Brian just pressed him tightly against the wall for some time without moving.  “Sonshine, I know we still don’t know what my sentence will be but remember, I can’t do this life without you. No matter how long it might be.”


“Well, you are stuck with me for at least another thirty years.” Justin began to slowly move, first just a small amount and then as Brian began to move, they completed long, slow strokes nearly driving Justin crazy and then they both climaxed. Brian didn’t move for several minutes and finally he took a step backward. 


Justin turned around and saw how tired Brian looked.    This whole thing really had taken a lot out of him. “All I want is a shot of whiskey and your arms around me for the night.”


“That sounds perfect and tomorrow or the day after we can be in our own bed.  God, I miss that bed.” Brian said as he dried off Justin’s back.


“I hope you want me in that bed with you,” Justin said as he dried off Brian’s shapely ass.


“That is the only reason to go to that bed.”  Brian said as they got into bed and held onto Justin.  “Come here, Sunshine, and let’s see if I can make you cum once more.”



The next morning the courtroom was full of friends and family.  Marcus and Hannah came back as well as Peter, Becca, Shelby and Molly.


Brinn had a surprise for her dad.  Ted flew in and was going to speak first for Brian. He knew all the good the company had done.  The second person talking for Brian was Peter. She thought it would be best to keep John and Tony out of it since Jonna was going to speak and George volunteered to be the second one to speak for Matteo.  Brinn was fairly sure neither of them would spend any time in jail unless it was her dad for coming to the hospital.  


As Brian entered the courtroom he saw Ted and Blake talking to Peter.  Brian shook Ted’s hand as he walked past to sit at the table with Brinn.  The judge walked in and after everyone was seated Brinn called Ted up to speak.  Ted brought along reports that showed time after time Brian’s humanitarian work and all the organizations and foundations he supported as a silent partner.  Ted talked about the length of their friendship and even how in his early years and he ran a bit wild he always supported those less fortunate.  


Peter spoke next. “Brian Kinney is my uncle.  He took my brother and me in when we were teenagers.  We had never spent time with our father and our mother couldn’t handle us.  Our family had been nothing but cruel to our uncle but he still always helped Mom out financially when she needed it.  When we moved in he made us work but he paid for us to go to school and then helped us get set up for life. I started out at an entry level job but guided me to the position I am at now.  Uncle Brian has always put family first and that is what he did when he followed my nephew to this city and tried to first stop him and then protect him when he couldn’t change his mind. Please realize he will always protect the side that is right and he will fight for it to the end.”


“Thank you, Mr. Kinney.  We will take a ten minute break before we listen to Mr. Montefiore’s character witnesses.  When that is complete we will take a lunch break and then I will give out sentences.” The bailiff told everyone to rise and the judge left. 


Brian stood and walked over to Peter. He shook his hand but then turned and walked away. Justin walked over to Peter and wrapped his arms around him.  “Thank you, Peter. I know it was true but it was from the heart and you know that’s why Brian couldn’t say anything more right now.”


“Yes, I know, Justin.  He will say something more later.  I don’t need to hear anything from him. He made me who I am today.  I will always support him anyway I can.” 


Brinn stood with Jonna giving her a few last minute words of assurance as it would soon be time for George to speak and then it would be her turn.  Tony and John hugged both their children.


Brian spoke to Ted and Blake for a few moments, insisting they come back to California when this was done.  Before they had a chance to answer, the court was called back into session.  


George was called up and he spoke of his friend, Matteo.   He said what a mature caring young man he was. He spoke of being alone in a new city and how Matty, even though he had just finished high school, he was concerned about his new friend. And if Matty cared about him he would give his life for his family and that is what he was willing to do when he came to avenge his sister’s attack.  George wrapped up his talk and he squeezed Brinn’s shoulder as he walked back and sat down in the gallery.


Next Jonna stood by the podium and began to speak, “Sir, I’m afraid I don’t talk as well as the others that spoke this morning but everything I say I’ll say from my heart.  First, I guess this isn’t about Matty but I kind of feel sorry for Mr. Smith. He obviously didn’t have anyone that cared what happened to him. I know how fortunate I am to have my family.  My big brother loves me enough to fight someone for my virtue. Matteo was defending my honor. Mr. Smith did awful things to me. He hurt me badly and Matty sat with me and held me gently, making sure he didn’t hurt any of my bruises and when he realized there was no part of my body that didn’t hurt he snuck out and drove all night to find the man who did it to me.  He would have never killed him. He wanted to make him hurt just a little bit and then he would have turned Mr. Smith in. Please Sir, please don’t put Matty in jail. He has so much to offer the world. He doesn’t even know how much he has to offer the world yet.” By now Jonna and most of the people in the gallery had tears in their eyes if not running down their cheeks.  She turned and looked at Matty, “I love you, Matteo, and I will always be thankful that I have you for my brother.” She walked over to him and hugged him.  


His arms went around her and kissed her cheek.  “I love you, too, Jonna Sophia.”  


They were all told to rise and after the judge left there was nothing to do but wait.


The group was quiet after Jonna’s emotional speech. Dan had arranged for lunch for everyone and had a conference room reserved for them to eat in.  Brian, Ted, Justin, and Blake sat together catching up. Ted and Blake would be heading back to Pittsburgh in the morning. Their youngest son was graduating in a couple weeks so they needed to get back to prepare for that but they agreed, they would get together soon.  Brinn called Brian and Matty over to talk about the final meeting with the judge so Justin was alone with Ted and Blake.


“How are you handling all this, Justin?” Blake asked, having dealt with many of Justin and Brian’s problems.


“Overall, he’s hanging in there.  It’s been a long road and he is tired.  You know Brian. He still holds in a lot but at least he doesn’t try to hide things anymore. If I ask something, he doesn’t lie.  I’m just ready to get home and have life get back to normal. We will leave for Ibiza in the next week or so. We need a week or three of laying naked at the pool with nothing to think about but how much our muscles hurt from making love so often.”


“I would like a week like that,” Ted said as he kissed Blake.  “It has been too long.”


“Well, you two just need to ask if you want to visit our place. Maybe next fall when your boys are both in college.”


“I will be in touch,” Blake said as he looked lovingly at Ted.  “We haven’t had much time together and by fall, Ted should be only consulting with Kinnetic so we should be able to make that happen.”


Jonna looked relieved sitting between Tony and John.  Jonna was already talking about going to Italy. She would be going to stay with her grandparents very soon. 


And then lunch break was over. Brinn stood at the door, “Time to go back into the courtroom.  I would guess in half an hour this will all be over.”


“All except the punishment.” Matty said under his breath.



Once the judge was seated at the bench he began speaking, “I want to let you know I have been thinking long and hard about what is the appropriate sentence in this case.  I am going to address Mr. Montefiore first and then I will get to Mr. Kinney. There will be no outbursts during this procedure or you will be escorted out.” He paused and looked at Matteo.  “Matteo, I hope you don’t mind me using your given name. It is obvious you did not go to Mr. Smith’s room with the intention that when you left he would be dead and, as we discovered, you did not cause his death but that doesn’t excuse you from going there intending to injure him. So after reviewing all the records and feeling fairly sure you are not a threat to anyone, I sentence you to  one year house arrest with an ankle bracelet and the addendum that you will do 600 hours of community service during that time. I estimate you should be able to get 400 hours done this summer and if you choose to go to school, and I hope you do, you will be able to count that as your last 200 hours as long as you make passing grades. You will be assigned a probation officer and you will just need to stay in touch with him.  He will be in touch with you the beginning of next week.” He stopped and looked at the relief on Matty’s face, “Matteo, It is obvious you love your sister a great deal and, if I am honest, at your age I probably would have done the same so you will be leaving here today with a bracelet but with your family and if you behave yourself you will be off probation in six months. If you stay clean the full year I will have your record expunged.”


“Oh, thank you sir. I will follow the rules to the letter and, yes sir, I plan to go to school in the fall.”  Matty hugged Brinn and then saw the judges face and sat down.


“And now, Mr. Kinney, it is time to deal with you.  I gave you a few simple rules when I allowed you to live in a penthouse.  I am going to allow you to pay all the fees for this trial as well as the hospital and burial fees for Mr. Smith.  You will also need to check in with a probation officer monthly for a year, letting him know where you are and what you are up to.  As for the wild hair you got when you left the hotel, you are lucky I am a father and I have met your daughter. My daughter in law happens to be pregnant at the moment, also, and I know if I was told she was in the hospital there would be no stopping me from getting there.  However, there is a record of you breaking the rules so you will need to face the consequences even if I understand your actions. You are too comfortable making your own rules and this time that isn’t going to happen. So, Mr. Kinney, after a lot of thought I realize whatever the sentence is you would do the exact same thing again and I understand that. So, since financially you are able to help with a lot of different things, the night you did your escape act and rushed to the hospital there was a premature baby born at that maternity ward.  You have the option of either spending a week in county jail or contributing $100,000 to the hospital for that baby or any other baby that could use it in the NICU. All you need to do is let me know which one you choose.”


Justin reached toward Brian with a check in his hand.  Brian filled out the check and Brinn looked at it. She stood.  “Your honor, may I approach the bench?”


“Yes, Mrs. Chase, you may.” 


Brinn walked to the judge and handed him the check.  He looked at it and saw it wasn’t for $100,000 but instead it was for $1,000.000.  “Your honor, my father may be impulsive but he is generous and loving and without malice.  Thank you, sir, for your insight and empathy to the situation.”


“I want to address every one of you in this room,” the judge began.  “I have never seen a support system like the one I have seen the last two months.  I have also seen genuine care and concern between all of you. Mrs. Chase, I have seen lawyers three times your age that didn’t have the understanding you do of both the courtroom and what is truly important.  Let me know, young lady, if you ever need a reference or want to come work for a judge.”


Brinn blinked back happy tears both from the sentences her father and brother got but also from the praise she had received.  She nodded at the judge and blushed a bit, “Thank you, sir. If you lived in California, I would be honored to work for you but I need to go back to our vineyard and my fathers’ businesses.  They will need me now.”


The judge smiled, “Yes, Mrs. Chase, I think they are very lucky to have you.  And now,” the judge nodded at the bailiff, “Oh and Mr. Kinney, thank you for your generosity.”  The bailiff told everyone to rise and the judge left. Then a cheer went up.



John left for the airport to ready the plane while Tony and his children went to the hotel.  Matty had received his ankle bracelet and had twelve hours to be back home. It would take about two hours for John to do the preflight checklist so Tony and Jonna helped Matty pack up his room.  When they had everything ready Matty went to find Brinn.  


“Hey Matty!” Brinn hugged her brother.  


“Brinn, I just wanted to thank…..no that isn’t enough.  I love you and if there is ever anything I can do for you….”


“Matty, you know you don’t owe me anything and someday, I will need my little brother’s help and you will be there,” she kissed his cheek.  “So what are you planning to go to school for. I know you have kind of been in limbo about that but when you were talking to the judge I got the feeling you have an idea now.”


“Brinn, I am thinking maybe Kinney Enterprises and Kinnetic could use another lawyer.  Maybe I will hate it but I have learned a lot the last couple months and I think I would like it.”


“Oh, Matty, I think you would make an amazing attorney.  You are level headed and intelligent. Tell your probation officer you want to work in the court system for your community service.  They should be able to find you something there. Tammy can give you a reference from the time you worked in our office. You did a good job for us.”


“Hey Matty, dad called Papa and it is time to go.” Jonna smiled at Brinn, “Thanks, Brinn.”


“I’m just glad you didn’t have to answer questions.  You did an amazing job for Matty.”


“I’m just glad he is coming home with us today.” Jonna hugged Matteo.


“Come on, pest, let’s go,” he hugged her and they walked out of the room followed by Tony. Dan, Marcus, Hannah. Becca, Peter, and George  also left to catch the flight back. Gus and Shelby were going to fly home tomorrow along with Brian and Justin, and Brinn and Zach. John would fly back in the morning to get them.


All of a sudden the penthouse was quiet.  Brinn and Zach still had their room a floor below and planned to come by for a late dinner.  Shelby and Gus were sitting out on the penthouse patio. They were sharing a lounge chair and enjoying some late afternoon sun as they slowly undressed each other.


“Well, I know I have seen our daughter in law giving birth but I really don’t want to watch her having sex,” Justin said as he started to unbutton Brian’s shirt.  “And I think we can find something to do with an hour.” He kissed the pulse point at the base of Brian’s neck. He then took Brian’s hand and led him toward the bedroom.  Brian followed willingly but as Justin pulled the shirt out of Brian’s trousers Brian yawned.  


“Sunshine,” Brian kissed him, “Would you mind if we nap now and screw later?”  He pulled Justin close, “I feel like I can sleep peacefully for the first time in months.”  He pulled off his shirt and dropped his trousers before crawling into bed. Justin undressed and slipped in next to him.  


“You have earned a good sleep.  We have the rest of our lives to make love.”  Justin moved into Brian’s arms and listened to Brian’s slow, steady breathing.



Brian and Justin were packed and waiting for Tony to pick them up.  It had been two weeks since the case was wrapped up. Brian had contacted his probation officer and was cleared to leave the country as long as he called in weekly.  Justin and Brian were going to spend at least a month maybe longer in Ibiza and a couple nights on the way in Italy to get Jonna settled in with her grandparents.


Brinn had gotten involved, immediately upon return, with the law department at Kinney Enterprises and Peter was already working with her setting up her new role in the business.


Marcus and Dan were trying to get back into the pattern of a normal life.  Hannah was meeting with Becca twice a week just to work through her time away from her dads and to dive into her mother’s situation at the same time and Marcus had started working more and he had gotten a call from the writer Justin had met.  He was sure he would have a big sale in the next month. They loved having Danny and Elliott such a short distance away and they were thrilled to have Tammy in the practice. It was good to have a female as well as someone who has had so much experience.  


Tammy also had Marcus looking for the perfect place for her, and hopefully Marissa.  She just wanted a home she could share with the first love of her life.


Tony and John were getting used to the fact that their daughter would be gone for three months but they knew she would be in good hands and it would be good for her to be away.  Matty would start his community service next week in the juvenile court system. He would get to help all summer and he was sure by the time his 400 hours were up he would know if he wanted to go into law or not.


Gus and Shelby were planning their move to the beach in a few days.  The kids were so excited about living on the ocean for the summer. Shelby was excited about being in the same city as Gus.  Gus had spent more time in LA then at the vineyard in the last month. With that and the trial, they had not been together more than a handful of nights.  She couldn’t wait for him to be in her bed every night.


Tony pulled up to the vineyard and Brian and Justin loaded their luggage.  They got into the backseat of the SUV. Just as they pulled onto the road, Brian’s phone pinged.  He saw it was a message from Tammy at the clinic. Both Brian and Justin decided they should have a physical before leaving the country.  Justin wanted to make sure his leg was not deteriorating in any way and Brian had just been through so much in the last few months they wanted to make sure his blood pressure and other blood levels were good.  Tammy said both of them seemed just fine when they left that day. She told them to enjoy their summer.


“Who’s it from?” Justin said as he took Brian’s hand.


“It’s from the clinic.  I am sure it is just our results.  Tammy would call if there was anything to worry about.”  Brian kissed Justin.


“I agree.  We can read how healthy we are once we are in Italy.”


As they pulled up to the airport, John was standing by the plane next to the pilots.  He had gone over the preflight checklist himself to make sure it was safe for a Transatlantic flight.  Both Tony and John held onto their daughter for a long time and then Brian, Justin, and Jonna boarded the plane.  Justin sat next to Jonna and put his arms around her.


“Jonna, I know what you’re feeling.  You need to go but you know what you are leaving behind,” he started to get up but she squeezed his hand.


“Uncle Justin, could you stay here until we are in the air?”

 

“Oh, sure honey,” he reached across the aisle and Brian took his hand.  “Your uncle and I have all the time in the world. He knows I can’t do life without him.”

The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked CDLWY 12 Daddies' Little Girls also liked 303 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Can't Do Life Without You. The previous story in the series is CDLWY 11 For Better or Worse. The next story in the series is Can't Live Without You Part 1.