- Text Size +

Chapter 7


It was about 1:30 when Danny pulled up in front of the main house of the vineyard.  Brinn had been watching for him. She had told Zach she needed to talk to Danny about the wedding so she kissed him and grabbed her jacket and met him outside.  “Oh, Danny, am I glad to see you.” She kissed him and linked their arms. “You could have brought Elliott.”


“Well, actually, he was in an intense game of Go Fish with Hannah so he said he would come with them when they came in about half an hour. Where are we going?”


“Out to my old classroom.  Gus turned on the heat for me a while ago when he and the kids were playing so it should be warm now.”  Danny opened the door and they walked into the cozy little building.  


“Brinn, you sounded a bit frantic.  What is it? Is something not working with the wedding?”


Brinn threw her arms around her best friend, “Oh, Danny, I don’t know what to do.”  Tears streamed down her face as Danny led her to the overstuffed chair where they both squeezed in next to each other. Danny just held her until she was ready to continue.  “Danny, I’m going to have a baby.”


“Oh Brinn, I am sure you hadn’t planned this but you are going to be a great mom.”


“Danny, are you forgetting?  Zach can’t….I told you about my weekend in Lake Tahoe.”


“Oh, Tia!  What did he say?”


“He doesn’t know yet.  I just found out last night.  I should have realized it. I was so stupid. I never had to worry about birth control.  I have two PhDs in science and I don’t think about birth control.”


“You had been so stressed about Zach.  You had a chance to get away and enjoy yourself.”


“And he knows I did that but what he doesn’t know is who I enjoyed myself with.  If it had been a stranger this would be so much easier.”


“Do you want to keep the baby?”


“Oh, Danny, it might be the easiest way for us to have a family.  We have never tested Zach to see if he can even father a child.or not.  Most CF patients can but some are unable to. I would love to raise this baby as ours.  Zach will be such a good father. We talked about it and he wants to stay home with our kids.  He doesn’t have the love for research I do but he is so smart and he loves reading. He is looking around for a proofreading or editing job already.  That way if he is having a bad day with his CF he can take it easy and the days he feel good he will put his time in. He is good. He really is.”


“And you love him so much. I can’t imagine something coming up that Elliott would … I don't.”


“You really love him, don’t you.”  


“I can’t imagine life without El. He is perfect, well, perfect for me and Zach if perfect for you.”


“How do I tell him and when I tell him, do I tell him who the father is?”


“Tia, I know you will have to tell him.  One of the things I have always loved about you is your open, honest character.  You never keep anything back.”


“I just don’t know what to do.”


“Maybe telling him about the baby is enough right now.    Maybe the who can come later. Let him love the baby and when the time is right you can tell him George is the father.”


“Danny, do you really think that will work?”


“All I know is the way he looks at you.  That baby is part of you and he will love it.”


“Oh, thank you!” Brinn hugged him.  “I wish you lived closer, Danny. I miss you.”


“Well, that might be a possibility.”


“Danny, don’t mess with a pregnant woman’s emotions.”


“My dads paid off all Elliott’s student loans for Christmas.  That means we can start the clinic we want to run now, not later.   All this really started last night so nothing is locked into place but we hope to find a smaller town near here that could use a clinic.  We hope to be with in half an hour of here. There are lots of places that could use doctors and with my dads loaning us the money for a clinic we can do it exactly like we dreamed about.”


“That is great, Danny!  Do you think you will be here to deliver my baby?”


“I will make sure I am here to help with that, Brinn.  I don’t know if you realize how much I owe you. If it wasn’t for you I might never have gotten over my apprehensions and I would have never met up with Elliott as a confident man, instead of a scared boy.”


“Danny, you would have gotten there, I just used some of my connections to speed it up.” She kissed Danny long and slow.  “We probably better get back to the main house. Your family will be here soon along with all the extended family. Tony and John, Peter and Becca, Molly and Tyler, and of course Brenda. Oh and Tammy is coming sometime. Oh, and all the kids although they are not as little as they used to be. ”


“You know if I was into girls, I wouldn’t have let any other male near you.”


“Thanks, Danny.  I love you, too. And yes, I will tell Zach tonight.”


“We’ll be around most of the time the next week so if you need to talk…” Danny reached for her hand and together they shut the door to the little house and walked back. 


“There you are!”  Elliott said as they walked to the door.  Zach was just inside the door. “I had just told Zach I would go find our other halves. You look as beautiful as always, Brinn.” Elliott kissed her cheek,  “And you, sexy,” Elliott’s hand rested on Danny’s ass. “You forgot to tell me Hannah was a card shark. She took all my chocolates,” Elliott kissed him.  


Brinn walked past the two kissing men and entered the house.  Zach pulled her close, “You Ok, Lulu? You look like you have been crying.”


“Oh, Danny and I were just talking about our past and the future.  I guess I am just over emotional today.” She tried to be inconspicuous but slid her hand over his crotch. “I need you.  Meet me in the bathroom of the therapy room in three minutes.” She kissed him and walked away.


There were people everywhere and as Brinn walked she was told they were opening any gifts people had at 3:00.  Brinn walked through her old room that still had Justin’s therapy equipment in it. It was hard to remember that it was only six months ago when she held his hand as Tammy worked his damaged muscles. It brought tears to her eyes.  Under her breath she grumbled, “How come I hadn’t noticed how emotional I was getting? Damn I keep crying today. Another thing she noticed, as she took off her top, was how sensitive her breasts were. No wonder she was horny all the time.  As she took off her bra, she noticed the nipples were straining to be touched. She stepped out of her skirt just as the bathroom door opened and Zach walked in.


“Good lord, I ….”


“Take your pants down and sit on the commode,” she ordered.


“Yes, maam, whatever you say as long as you plan to sit on my lap.”


“I plan to screw the hell out of that cock after I first have a taste.”


“Well, if you must,” Zach said with a twinkle in his eye as she got down on her knees before him. He reached out and collected her hair as she moved onto him. Her tongue and lips went to work. 


As Brinn started tasting the clear liquid before the cum, she moved up and slipped onto him like a sheath over a knife.  For a split second Brinn felt inner pain. What if he couldn’t understand but as she started to move up and down and the look on his face told her she had nothing to worry about. At least not until after she told him about the baby.  She brought her mouth down to his as Zach exploded deep inside her. She hadn’t cum yet but as he brought his mouth to her breast and it only took his tongue touching it before she came with a scream.


“Um, Brinn, is that you?  I was sent to come find you two and I think I found you cumming,” Matty’s voice came through the locked door. “Everyone is here.  They want to open gifts soon.”


Zach kissed her, “Give us five minutes, Matty.  We’ll be right there. Brinn needs a minute or three.”


Zach brought his mouth down on her other breast and it surprised him when she immediately had another orgasm. This time she didn’t scream but wrapped her arms around his neck so tightly he could barely breathe.  He gently stroked her back, helping her calm down and then they slowly dressed and walked out into the bedroom. “That was pretty amazing. I have never seen you so responsive and, well, desperate!”


“We better get out there.  You know everyone will know what we were doing.”


“In this family it is pretty likely it is what everyone else has done very recently.” Brinn turned to him once more, “I love you, Chase.”


She grabbed his hand and drug him out to the main room. Gifts were shared between family and friends.  Brenda had been the busiest. Everyone present received a box from her. In each box was a hand made sweater.  From Talia to Brian. The kids’ sweaters were bright colors while the men and women all received very classic colors and styles.  They spent several minutes taking group pictures with the kids and then the adults, men and then women.  


Soon there was a light supper out for everyone to enjoy.  There were several different soups and supplies for sandwiches, along with trays of veggies and dip not to mention fresh fruit and then chips and dip. Everyone could find something they liked.  Of course there were beverages for both kids and adults. It had been a long day for everyone so everyone went easy on the alcohol.  


Brian walked up to Tammy and gave her a kiss, “Merry Christmas.  I’m glad you managed to come for a while. I am sorry you are having such a lonely holiday.”


“Well, of course my sister is with her kids but I will see her next week.  I am flying out to see her.” Tammy’s phone pinged and she pulled it out. Brian watched her read it and smile.


“So who is it? Have you found yourself some cute and bubbly?” Tammy punched Brian’s shoulder.  


“It’s Seth.  He just said Merry Christmas.”


“Tammy, you and Seth...I mean I know you had a night but there isn’t anything more, is there?”


“No, not at all.  Brian, I shouldn’t tell you this but, when he returns, Seth is resigning.  He needs to get away from here. He needs a fresh start.”


“Ah, shit, I’ll miss him.  He is so good at his job and oh, fuck, Gus…”  Brian looked over at his son holding his baby girl over his shoulder as he patted her back.  “How is he going to take this? It is going to make if final.”


“That’s why I am telling you.  I am sure Seth will give you plenty of notice.  He isn’t in a rush but, I might as well come clean.  He has a girlfriend, well the start of a girlfriend. He is hoping he can make a life with her.  She’s a widow with two small children. He can’t stop talking about the kids and….”


“He deserves that kind of happiness,” Brian comments.  “So no one on your horizon? You deserve that, too.”


“I have put some feelers out. I think I am ready to share my life with someone. Or maybe several someones.  I just want to be out there.”


“You will find your way.  That could be a special someone or just a place to be out there but Tammy, you are a special woman.  There is someone out there. “Tammy,” Brian glanced around to make sure no one is in earshot. “Brinn talked to us. Thanks for being there for her.”


“I’m glad she is thinking it through a bit.  She was talking about ending it but I think that would be a mistake.  I know it wasn’t planned but it is part of her and I think Zach will be thrilled that they will have a child.”


“Ya, of course it is their decision but Justin and I want this baby.”  


Justin walked up as Brian and Tammy hugged again. “Justin, thanks for the lovely day.  I am going home. As always, you two are the perfect hosts.”


“Tammy, you know you are welcome to stay in Stone House as long as you need to but I hope by next Christmas you and your love will invite us to the home you have made with someone you care about.”


“Thanks, Justin. I hope you are right but in the meantime, thanks for letting me be part of your family.”  Tammy said goodbye to everyone and left. After she broke the ice more people started to leave.  


Matty had been trying to get Brinn alone all night.  He finally saw her walking to the restroom and waited for her outside the door. As soon as she stepped out he grabbed her and pulled her into the nearest room.  “Brinn, what’s wrong?”


“Besides the fact my little brother just scared the shit out of me and pulled me into a room?”


“Brinn, I am serious.  Dad asked me if I knew what was going on because he could tell something was wrong.”


“Oh, Matty,” Brinn wrapped her arms around his neck. “I can’t tell you right now but soon.  You’ll know soon.”


“Brinn, whatever it is, just remember I’m here for you and my dads, both of them, care about you.”


“I know, Matty, and tell My John, I’ll be over soon and tell him everything.  Tell him...I miss talking to him.”


“Oh, there you are, Lulu.  I need to get home. I need my treatment.  I am starting to feel a little tight.” Zach used his inhaler.


“Sure, Chase, Matty and I just finished so let’s get you home.  Is it getting bad? Brinn instantly went into worried mode when she saw him taking shallow breaths.  “Let’s go.” Brinn walked over and grabbed her coat and then looked for their gifts.


Justin walked up and put an arm around Brinn’s waist.  “Gifts are already in the car. I could tell Zach was starting to feel off so I had Clay carry them out before they left.”


“Thanks, Daddy.  We are on our way out.  I’ll talk to you in the morning.” Brinn kissed him and then crossed the room and kissed Brian.  Everytime she turned around she was hugging another family member. She took Tally in her arms and then she noticed  Zach was using his inhaler again.


“Oh shit, I’m coming Zach.” She kissed Talia’s cheek, “Here sweetheart, go back to your mama.  I will see you all soon.” Brinn rushed over to Zach and led him out of the house and soon they were home.  Zach went straight to their room and started his treatment and as soon as Brinn got the house locked up and the lights off, she followed him to the bedroom.  Zach was holding the mask to his face but he was struggling to regain normal breathing. Brinn monitored his oxygen levels and it wasn’t getting better. Brinn injected his backup medication.  She had never seen him get so bad so fast. She texted Danny. ‘Come over. Zach needs you and Elliot.” She included their house code. Brinn sat next to him and stroked his hair as he tried to relax and regain control of his breathing. 


Ten minutes later, Brinn heard footsteps and then Danny and Elliott were in the bedroom.  Each had a medical bag with them. Brinn told them the last reading she had taken and what she had given him.  Elliott and Danny monitored his readings and slowly the oxygen level increased. Danny held Brinn close. “Why don’t you go run a bath for him.  Put a lot of that herbal mix in it. Have you tried your new trial drug on him?”


“No, I haven’t.  He had been doing so well and I have to admit I am a little nervous about using it on my own husband before it has been approved for trials.”


“Do you believe in it?”


“Oh, I do, Danny.”


“If you have some here, give him a dose. Start the treatment.”


“Should I be worried? More worried?”


“No, honey, it just isn’t going to get better so why take the chance of letting his lungs get more damaged. If you believe in it, I know it will work.”


An hour later Elliott and Danny left for Dan and Marcus’ house after Zach was breathing much easier and lying in the tub they were sure Brinn would be in by the time they left the property.


Brinn had given Zach one of the capsules as he got into the tub and now that Ellliott and Danny had left she joined him in the steaming water.  “Are you feeling better my love?”


“I am, Lulu. Can we stay in here for a little while longer. I love the feel of your water slick skin. You are so lovely.” His hand rested on her breast as his thumb ran over her nipple.  She shivered at his touch.


“Are you really feeling well enough for this, Chase?”


“This may sound crazy considering how bad I felt an hour ago but my lungs seem to be expanding every breath. And if you can slide up a bit farther I would love to nibble those amazing breasts.  I swear they feel different than they did before.”


“Zach, I need to tell you something.”


“Well, that sounds serious.”


“I don’t want to tell you if you are still feeling the effects of the episode.”


“Brinn, what is it?”


“I told you about Tahoe.”


“And I told you, Lulu, I don’t mind.”


“You might mind when you hear what I have to say.  I want you to know I will do whatever you want me to do just please don’t leave me again?”


“I am not going to leave you, Brinn.  You just saved me again. I have no reason to live without you.”


“Chase, I was such a fool.  I enjoyed my time away and it never dawned on me that…..we didn’t use protection.”


“You didn’t catch something dangerous, did you? Is that why Tammy put you on medication?”


“The only medication she put me on is vitamins.  Chase, I’m pregnant. If you don’t want me to keep it, I won’t.  I would totally understand but please, Zach, don’t leave.”


Zach laid in the tub looking far off.  “Wow, Brinn, that is…..it’s a lot to think about.  Of course I am not leaving you. I am marrying you February 14.  Lulu, all the sudden I am really tired. Can you help me to bed?”


“Of course, Zach.” Brinn got out and dried off quickly.  She then helped stabilize him as he stepped out. She dried him off and walked with him to the bed. Once he slipped under the covers and she turned off the lights she climbed in and laid near him but didn’t reach out to him.  


Zach reached out and pulled her closer.  “I can’t sleep in the same bed and not touch you. Come here, Lulu.  We will talk about it in the morning.”


Brinn trembled as he held her tightly against his body.  “I love you, Lulu. I always will.” With that Zach closed her eyes.  It took Brinn a little while to join him but when she was pressed against his warm skin and his steady breathing lulled her to sleep.


Zach woke up very early.  He took a deep breath and was surprised that there was little tightness in his chest. He never felt this good the morning after a bad episode. He looked over at Brinn.  She looked so stunning. She was so young and now she was pregnant with another man’s baby but it was HER baby. He got up and quickly dressed in the bathroom. Zach opened the door and looked back at Brinn.  She was curled up with the blankets under his chin. He wanted to get back in bed with her and show her how much he loved her but right now he had to talk to someone.  


It was 7:00 a.m. but he couldn’t just sit here.  He wrote Brinn a note. ‘Lulu, I love you so much.  Don’t worry, I will be back in a couple hours. I just need to think. I love you, Zach.  P.S. I feel amazingly good.’


Zach drove into town with no destination.  He looked at the Christmas decorations on the businesses and homes.  It was quiet. Most people were probably taking the day off with their kids or family that were visiting.   He drove past George’s school and was surprised to see lights on in the building and he was sure he saw someone moving inside.  He pulled up behind the building and found George’s SUV. He got out and knocked on the door and waited.  


Moments later the door started opening and George was saying. “You’re early. Oh, Zach, you’re a surprise.  I thought you were my food delivery. Come in.”


“I hope you don’t mind.  I was having trouble sleeping so I thought I’d take a ride.  It is really a beautiful morning.”


“I just put on a pot of coffee.  Come in and I’ll pour you a cup.”


“I thought you were out of town for Christmas?” Zach commented as they walked into the big commercial kitchen.


“I flew back in last night.  I have a busy week so my family had Christmas early so I could get back and prepare.”


“I can go.  I don’t want to interrupt your work.”


“Zach, have a seat.  I can keep working while you drink coffee and tell me what got you out of bed so early this morning.  You and Brinn didn’t have a fight did you?”


“No, she was very tempting this morning but I had to think about something.”


“Something you are keeping from her?” George looked at Zach and saw his inner struggle as he handed him a cup. 


“No, last night she told me some news,” he sipped the coffee.  George made the best coffee. “You know she slept with someone in Lake Tahoe when you took her there.  I don’t hold that against her. I told her to live her life. I told her I didn’t want to know who it was because I know she loves me.” He took another sip while George turned away.


“I am listening, Zach, I promise.  I just need to keep moving.”


“No problem.  I just need to talk to someone who will listen.  Last night as we laid in the bathtub together, my CF was acting up, Brinn told me she is pregnant.”  George froze. He was so glad his back was to Zach because he was sure all the color drained from his face.  It took him a minute to focus again on Zach’s conversation. ‘....do what I want her to do. I know she would end it if I asked her to but I can’t do that.  It is part of her. And I will never be able to just get her pregnant.”


George wished there was something besides coffee in his mug but he emptied it and then started coughing from swallowing it wrong.  


“George, you alright?” George nodded and Zach kept talking, “Do you know who the guy is? I got the feeling she just started dancing with him and they went off.”


George finally was able to say something, “Did she say that?”


“No, she didn’t.  She offered to tell me more but I stopped her.  I don’t care who she was with for any other reason than he is the biological father of our baby.  How will we know if there is anything medically we have to worry about?


“Zach, does Brinn know you will accept the child?”


“I didn’t say much.  I was in shock. I ….”


“I think you need to go talk to her.  She is the only one that can answer your questions and she is probably awake by now and if you are gone too long she is going to worry.”


As if on cue, Zach’s phone rang.  “It’s her.” He pulled it out and answered.


“Morning, Lulu.”


“I was worried about you.  I woke up and you were gone and last night you  really weren’t well.”


“Oh, honey, I am fine.  Actually, I feel better than I ever have after a bad episode.  I think your research was right on.”


“Zach, are you coming home soon?” he could now hear the tears in her voice.”


“Oh, Lulu, I’m on my way now.  I love you, sweetheart. Don’t cry.”  The call ended. “I better get home. She is really stressed.”


George was still in a daze but said, “Wait a second.  He rushed to the back of the kitchen and about a minute later came back with a basket.  “I just took these out of the oven when you knocked on the door.” The smell of freshly baked muffins wafted out of it.  “Now go home and talk to Brinn.”


“Thanks for listening,” Zach gave George a weak smile.


“Zach, it is up to Brinn to answer the questions you have.”


“I know.  Thanks, George.  I’m really glad you were here this morning. I just needed to talk to someone.” Zach came around the counter and gave George a hug.  I’ll talk to you soon.”


As the door shut behind Zach, George collapsed onto a stool and dropped his head in his hands. He texted Brinn.  ‘Zach was here. I didn’t say anything.”


Brinn paced back and forth.  Zach sounds Ok. He didn’t seem upset. Her phone pinged and she looked at it.  Her legs gave way from under her and she sank to the floor. Of all places for Zack to go.  George knows. At least he didn’t say anything. This just wasn’t going to be easy. As she sat cross legged on the floor, her head dropped into her hands and she couldn’t stop the tears. Why was she crying? Zach sounded great. His voice wasn’t weak at all.  She started crying harder thinking about her research being a success. And then she thought about George and she sobbed even harder. What was she going to say to him when she saw him? 


Zach came home to find Brinn sitting on the floor in front of the fire place sobbing. He dropped the basket of muffins on the counter and rushed to Brinn. He picked her up off the floor and carried her to the sofa.  He sat down and cradled her. “Brinn, are you alright? Did something happen?” Brinn wrapped her arms around Zach’s neck and buried her head in the hallow of his neck. He left her cry until she was done. When he felt her lips grazing the hallow of his neck he knew a new emotion was now in charge and he liked this one. His hand moved up the inside of her sleep shorts and then past the lace that covered her.  He found her clit and she literally exploded instantly. He then moved her shirt up and began flicking her nipples, first one and then the other.


“Zach, are you sure….are you sure you are willing to...I can’t think as long as you are touching me like that.”  Brinn moved so she could open Zach’s fly and then she dropped her bottoms and sat on his lap facing him, letting his hard cock move into her. Her mouth crushed his and with in moments Zach had taken off her shirt and as his fingers continued on her nipples, her entire body went into overdrive. As he came, she cried and screamed at the same time.


Fifteen minutes later Brinn made a cup of coffee for both of them and Zach got plates out for the muffins.  They sat side by side at the counter, each popping bits of muffin in their mouths. “Zach, I am very sorry. I mean really sorry.  I should have thought about birth control. I wasn’t drunk, well not the whole weekend. I should have used protection. I have three PhDs but I am too stupid to tell a guy to wear a condom.”


“Brinn, I didn’t mean to scare you this morning.  I woke up feeling amazingly healthy. Lulu, you are a star.  I know I have only had one dose of it but is it supposed to be taken daily? I really can’t believe how good I feel today. I’m sorry.  I should focus. It is your body and it is totally up to you, but I think it would be amazing to have a child with you and I really don’t care how it came to be. I am just looking at it as a gift to us.”  Zach turned toward her and then took her hand, “Brinn, you aren’t really thinking about….Oh, it is your choice. I’m sorry, I don’t want you to feel obligated.”


Brinn started crying, “I don’t deserve you, Zach Chase, but I am so glad I have you.  Yes, I want this baby as long as you will raise it as your own.”


“Brinn, this baby is ours.  So, if my calculations are right, you are going to have a miserable summer and we will be parents sometime before Labor Day.”


“That sounds about right.  I will need to go see my regular doctor but I am hoping Tammy or Danny will be there when I am ready to deliver.”


“Whatever you want, Lulu.”


“You know, I am not the easiest person to live with anytime. I’m afraid I am going to be unbearable and if today is any forecast, I have a feeling I think we will be having sex a lot but I also might yell at you a lot.  Do you think you can put up with all that?”


“As long as I have you and our baby, I will be one happy man.  And did I mention this medication you gave me is amazing?”


“I am wondering if It might need to be scaled back just a bit.  I am so glad it helped but it seems to be having a bit of a euphoric effect on you.”


“Is that why I feel a bit drunk?”


“We’ll get it figured out.  It isn’t dangerous unless the effects build up. I hope you don’t mind being a test subject.”


“As long as you are by my side, test away.”


An hour later they were laying in bed again and Brinn stroked his chest. “Brinn, what did the guy look like?  I just want to be able to picture what our child will look like.”


“He actually shared your coloring and build. He might be a little broader but my guess is if people didn’t know, they will think you are the biological father but most importantly you will be his or her daddy.”  Brinn choked up a bit. She knew she needed to talk to George and soon. It was only fair.



Brian and Justin slept later than normal.  It was late by the time they cleaned up. They had made love slowly as only a couple who know each other inside and out can do. By the time they fell asleep they were both sweat soaked and completely relaxed.  


Justin woke up to Brian running his tongue down his neck, “Good morning.”


“God, Sunshine, you smell so good this morning.” Brian buried his face against Justin’s skin.


“Brian, have you lost your sense of smell? I have to stink of stale sex and sweat.”


“But it is your stale sex and sweat and by now, that smell means home. You are my home and I really would like to park my car in your garage right now.”


“Oh, now that’s bad,” Justin groaned.


“How flexible are you feeling this morning?”


“Move slow.  I would love to see your face when you enter me.”  Brian was already positioning himself. Justin draped his good leg over Brian’s shoulder and wrapped his injured leg around Brian’s waist as he waited to feel the pressure of Brian’s cock. Brian leaned down and crushed Justin’s mouth but then moved back a bit so they could look at each other as Brian entered him. As they began to move the love they shared was obvious but as they continued, Justin began to slide his foot along Brian’s ass and at one point he nearly managed to enter Brian with his big toe.  The look on Brian’s face made Justin laugh just as Brian claimed his mouth again and together they came.


Brian rolled off of Justin but they linked fingers as they laid side by side. After some time, Justin brought Brian’s hand to his mouth and kissed it.   “I’m ready for a shower, Gramps. How about you?”


“I wonder how it went with Brinn and Zach last night. These are the hardest times to be a parent.  There is nothing we can do for them right now but be here and that includes Zach. And I wonder if she told him it was George yet.  We both know she will eventually.”


Justin stood and worked his way toward the bathroom. “We need to find out before either of us talk to him and she needs to tell Gus today.  He needs to know.”


“There is something else Gus needs to know,” Brian said thinking about his conversation with Tammy the day before.


“What do you know that I don’t?” Justin sat on the edge of the bed by Brian and kissed him once more before offering him a hand and pulling him up.


“Seth is leaving.”


“Oh, shit.”



Danny and Elliott were drenched in sweat when there was a little knock on the door, “Danny, El, can I come in?” Hannah’s little voice asked.


The men were still linked but Elliott kissed Danny’s neck and slipped out.  “Banana, could you go get us each a bottle of water and then we have a perfect spot for you between us.”


“Be right back.”  They heard her little feet run away. 


Danny got up and threw a pair of briefs at Elliott and then crawled back in bed. “Thanks for loving her,” Danny kissed his husband.


“She is very lovable and she loves her big brother so much, just like I do.” As Elliot kissed Danny they heard the door open.


“I have water. I thought you’d be done kissing by now.”  She handed a water to Elliott and then Danny before crawling in between them.  “Your bedroom smells like our daddies’ room.”


“I guess that’s the smell of love then because you know our daddies love each other so much just like El and I love each other.”


“Danny, can I tell you a secret? Elliott, you can’t tell either.”  Elliott acted like he zipped his lips shut. “I know Daddy and Dad are worried about my aunt Kim.  Aunt Kim wants me to live with her but I can’t leave my daddies. I love them so much and Aunt Kim loves me but she isn’t my family. You are my family.” 


Danny pulled his sister against him and Elliott put his arms around both of them.  “You know they will do anything to keep you with them.”


“Of course, I know that.  They love me.” Hannah said with the simplicity of a child that feels loved.  She put an arm around Danny’s neck and then Elliott’s. She kissed one and then the other.  “And you love me, too.” The men each kissed her cheek and then reached above her and kissed each other.  “You two kiss too much.”


“Now darling, Hannah Banana, I could never kiss your brother too much.  I want to kiss him the rest of my life.”


“And I want him to.” Danny slid closer and put his hand behind Elliott’s head.


“Ok, I am out of here before I become a banana pancake.” Hannah ran out the door and shut it behind her just as Elliott’s finger slid into Danny and began to stroke his prostate sending him over the edge, just as Elliott’s mouth came down on Danny’s cock.



“Grandpa….papa, we’re here!”  Gage shouted as he and Gus walked into the kitchen.” 


“To what do we owe this surprise?” Justin was limping a bit this morning as walked over to hug Gage.


“You Ok, Dad?”  Gus asked as Justin moved to him and gave him a hug and kiss.


“Your Pops was a bit….”


“Nough said.  We men decided to let the women have the house for a while so we walked over.” Gus smiled down at his son.


“Have you heard anything from Brinn today?”  Brian asked as he scooped Gage up and held him upside down as he tickled his now bare stomach. 


“Grandpa, stop!  That tickles!” Gage giggled.


“Why, should I have talked to the blonde bombshell? It is so good to see her happy again,” Gus smiled, thinking about how Brinn glowed yesterday.


“Why don’t you leave this guy here with us men and you go visit her.”


“Well, now you have me curious. I probably better text her to make sure she isn’t well….” Gus texted Brinn and got a response to come over.  “I guess I am going to visit my sister,” with humor in his voice,Gus said as he looked at his dads. “Hey, Gage, do you want me to stop on my way back or do you want to stay with your grandpas for a while, if that’s alright with you.” Gus looked at his dads.


“He can stay as long as he wants. We can text later and figure out what’s up for the day.”


Ten minutes later, Gus was at Brinn’s door. He had taken the four wheeler across the field since he didn’t have his vehicle. “Hey, Gussy!” Brinn kissed her brother and hugged him tight.  “Can I get you some coffee? We have muffins George sent over.”


“Speaking of George,” Gus looked around for Zach but he wasn’t in sight.


“Zach is in the shower and no, I haven’t told him about George.”


“So why did our dads send me over here? They made it seem important.”


“Gus, you’re going to be an uncle.”


“I’m …...WHAT!” Gus picked her up and turned her around several times.  “Oh, Wait! George?” his voice was a whisper now.


“The baby is the result of my weekend in Lake Tahoe but this baby is Zach and mine.”


“Oh, Briny.” Gus held her tight.  “And Zach is alright with this?”


“He is more than alright. He is excited!”


“He doesn’t know does he?  I mean, that it is George.”


“Not yet, and this morning he told George without knowing of course.”


“Oh, god, how is George? Have you talked to him?”


“We’ve been texting. He was obviously surprised but he is alright with it.  Gus, do you think I am terrible?”


“Of course not. Maybe it is kind of an answer for you.”


“I have to admit, I would have preferred to wait for a couple years but I’m excited and scared and so glad you and Shelby are here because you are the best parents.”.


“Well, I guess it is a dry New Year’s for you!”


“Ya, I don’t mind.  I know this might not be the right time, and I maybe shouldn’t be the one to say anything but, Gussy, have you talked to Seth lately?”


“We’re not talking.  Well, he won’t talk to me.  He says I need space.”


“Gus, he might be trying to tell you something.  Shit, Gus, he is probably moving. He has a woman in his life and she has kids, and he was looking for a job this week. Gus,” Brinn watched Gus walk toward the wall of windows and look out over the vineyard. She walked up behind him and put her hand on his shoulder.  “I am sorry but you needed to know.“ Brinn put her arms around her big brother. “Are you alright?”


“I’m fine, really.  Thanks for telling me. I’m not saying it will be easy but maybe it is what’s best.”  Gus took a deep breath, “How did you hear about this?”


“Tammy.  Seth and she have become good friends.  He told her he was looking. I am sure he will tell you when he knows anything for sure.”


“Well, I’m glad you told me.  Thanks, Brinn, and congratulations, again on the baby.  I better get going. I left Gage with Dad and Pops but I promised him we would do something.”  He hugged Brinn once more and then slipped out the door. Once he got on the cart he headed across the vineyard until he couldn’t focus.  He stopped and dropped his head down on the handlebars. He wasn’t going to cry. He felt numb This must be what it is like when you lose a limb.  It isn’t there anymore but you can still feel it. He could still feel Seth. What was he going to do when he left?


As the week went on, Brinn and Zach told the rest of the family.  Brinn also had a full physical and it was determined that she was due sometime in the last half of August.  Zach’s mom was over the moon, although she had wished they had waited to have the procedure until after they were married.  They didn’t tell them that but Zach said it was best to let them think that.


 As the week went on the word was out.  Seth had given his two week notice. He would start looking for his replacement immediately.  He had called Gus to tell him but Gus left it go to voicemail. He knew he would have to face him again but right now he wasn’t going to think about it.



Brinn had planned New Year’s Eve.  Danny, Elliot, Matty, George, Tyler, Gus, and Zach decided to go to a bar in town for the early evening and then they would go out to Brinn and Zach’s where Shelby, Molly, and Brinn were going to hang at the house and watch romantic comedies until the men would come back long before midnight and they would all eat food George made.  


Justin and Brian were having an all male party.  Tony and John, and Dan and Marcus were coming over for dinner.  They had invited Peter and Becca to join either group but they decided to spend time at a ski resort instead.


All the kids were at Dan and Marcus’ house.  Jonna was helping Brenda with the kids and they were all staying there overnight unless Shelby decided she needed Talia.  And of course, Dan and Marcus were going to stay at Brian and Justin’s. It had been a long time since the four men had a night together.  


As the girls all arrived at Brinn’s, Shelby pulled Brinn aside. “How are you feeling, Brinn?  Any real pregnancy issues?”


“Other than constant mood swings, I’m feeling good but Shelby, that’s not what you want to talk about?”


“Brinn, how is Gus going to react to Seth leaving?  I think in the long run, it will be best for everyone but, Brinn, I’m scared how he will react. What should I do? What’s best for him?”


“Shelby, you’re his wife.  You know that part of my brother better than I do but I think you might need to give him a little rope.  He may need some guy time, and I don’t mean hanging out with his buddies. “I don’t think he will ever feel for anyone else like what happened with Seth.  He didn’t want that and he didn’t want to hurt you.”


“I know that, Brinn. And I think you’re right.  He will never lose the urge to be with a man once in a while but it will just be physical and if he needs to play a little more for a while I will just have to let him get his emotions back in check.” Shelby’s whole body was shaking when she finished talking.


“Shelby, whatever he does, he will always come back to you.  You are his life. He chose you and the kids. Now that Seth is leaving, you will have his whole heart.”


“Thanks, Brinn.  I think I know that but I just needed someone to reinforce it.  How is Zach doing? Is the extra stress from the pregnancy causing him any problems?”


“He is using the medication Tammy and I developed.  He is our guinea pig and we are finding that a couple things need to be adjusted a little bit but he feels better than he has in years. And he is so amazing about the baby.  He can’t wait to be a stay at home dad with our baby.”


“We both are fortunate to have the men we have. Neither are perfect but they are perfect for us.” Shelby linked arms with her sister in law.  “Let’s celebrate. This is going to be a special year for you. You will become a wife and a mother.”



The young men were at the bar at 7:00 pm.  The plan was to have a few drinks and then they would head back to the house so they were off the street when the drunks got out.  Matty volunteered to be the driver since legally he couldn’t drink here and the rest of the men bought a bottle of the best whiskey in the place. It was soon obvious to the rest of the men, Gus was not going to make midnight.  He had ordered a second bottle of whiskey almost immediately and he was keeping this one right in front of him. There was some music playing in the background and Gus stood and pulled Matty off the stool. “Let’s dance, Matty.” 


“Sure, Gus, let’s dance,” Matty smiled humoring him.  It was barely 8:00 and Gus was totally drunk. “Come on, Danny, bring your husband out here to join us,” Matty coaxed so they weren’t the only two out there.  


“Come, El, I would love to be groped in public,”  Danny kissed him. 


“My pleasure!” Elliott’s hand rested on Danny’s ass and as soon as they were on the small dance floor he pulled Danny tightly against him.  “If we do this long, we may have to use the bathroom for….”


“A quick fuck? My pleasure!”


After Matty held Gus up for a couple songs they went back to their table and Matty tried to get Gus to eat some snacks to help absorb the alcohol, and though he nibbled on a couple things he mainly drank more.  By 9:00 Gus was loud and almost too drunk to stand up. He draped his arm around Zach, “So Zach, are you ready to be married into our crazy family?”


“I’ve been a part of your family for six years but I am ready to make it official,” Zach said, a bit drunk himself.  “And I can’t wait to hold our baby.”


“George,” Gus hollered.  Instantly Matty tried to gain his attention and Danny and Elliott looked at each other but Gus was too far gone to change thoughts.  “Thanks for your contribution. At least the baby will have your coloring. I think I am going to go ask that guy over there to dance.  He’s been scoping me out the last half hour.” Gus stumbled to the end of the bar and then went to the dance floor with the stranger.


Danny and Elliott watched Zach and George waiting to see how this played out, ready to step in if they need to.  Matty and Tyler were on the other side also looking for a response. Zach sat there staring at George. “George, is that true? You and Lulu?” Zach’s whole body went stiff.


“Fuck Gus,” Matty mumbled under his breath.  


Tyler was sitting there with his mouth hanging open.  Softly he said to Matty, “Is that true?” Matty just nodded and focused on Zach.


“Zach, why don’t we take a walk?” Matty said, trying to get Zach to leave with him but Zach wasn’t having any of it.


“No, Matty!” Zach said sharply and looked at George. “George, you and Brinn?”


“God, Zach.  She was going to tell you.  But you didn’t seem to care who she was with.  She loves you, not me.” George was tipsy enough that he was having a hard time collecting his thoughts.  “I’ll leave town if I need to, just don’t ….. Don’t be mad at her. I don’t think she could take that.”


Danny walked over and draped an arm around each of the men.  “I think this conversation should be put on hold until you are both sober and Brinn is aware of this.”


“George,” Zach started, “I think that’s a good idea.  Now isn’t the time.”


“I think it is about time to head back to the house and the women,” Matty suggested.


“That sounds like a good idea,” Tyler said.  “I’ll go get Gus.” He looked and noticed he wasn’t on the dance floor. “Did anyone see where Gus went?”


“I think I saw someone head toward the bathrooms.  Maybe it was Gus,” Matty suggested.


Tyler moved down the hall and when he entered the bathroom he found Gus pressing his dance partner against the wall with his hand down his pants.  “Um, Gus, you ready to head back to your sister’s?”


“Wait right there!” Gus said to the young man and walked over to Tyler.  Did I do what I think I did? Zach….is he alright?”


“Right now they are fine.  We are going to get them home.”


“I’m staying here. I fucked up again so I might as well fuck him up.”


“But, Gus… Shelby is waiting.”


“Tell her I’m sorry and I’ll Uber home.”  Gus went back and started undoing the man’s fly.