- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Banner by Sabina




They Say It's Your Birthday


Chapter 1


New Year’s was a relatively quiet and happy one at Edna’s Treasures. The small party they held had been enjoyed by all in attendance. Bree managed to ring in the New Year after being awakened just before midnight by her brother. She had made a snuggly little nest on one of the chaises. She enjoyed the countdown and a kiss from her brother and fathers before promptly being put to bed. Patrick was right behind her.


The adults lasted a little longer before they all started to disperse and celebrate the New Year in their own place in their own way. There was a lot of tender lovemaking on Edna’s Treasures Lane that night. It was a good start to a new year.


The next couple of months passed quietly. Justin continued to paint, Brian to terrorize Kinnetik when the spirit moved him, and Bree to excel at school. The loss of Joan still entered their thoughts quite often, but the pain began to fade as time went on.


In February Michael and Ben arrived at the door of Edna’s Treasures one morning. Michael wore a big grin on his face. When Brian let them in, he noted that Ben wore a similar smile.


“Justin,” Brian called to his husband who was painting in the sun porch, “we have visitors.”


“Visitors?” Justin said as he walked into the kitchen. Brian was already pouring coffee for the two men who sat at the kitchen table. “What’s up?” Justin asked as the strange vibe issuing from Ben and Michael hit him.


“We have big news,” Ben said as he doctored his coffee.


“It’s about time,” Brian said.


“Wha…?” Michael sputtered.


Brian smirked. “You’ve been so much better the last few weeks. It’s about time you stopped skiving and went home.”


Ben grinned. “We never could put anything over on you, could we?” he asked.


“Nope,” was Brian’s simple answer.


“Are you sure?” Justin asked as he sat down at the table with them. He set out a plate of Bree’s favorite chocolate chip cookies that they had recently baked. “You’re not rushing it?”


“I’ve been here for months,” Michael said with a sigh. “It’s time I went home. The doctor said I could, and Gerry is very pleased with the progress I’ve made. I’m ready.”


“That’s great,” Justin stated as he took a bite of cookie. “It’s been good having you here.”


Michael’s eyes started to tear up. “I…” he said having to pause and swallow. “I want to thank you both for everything. I used to wonder why you would want to live out here.” Michael looked at his best friend. “But I found out. The lane is a wonderful, calm, peaceful place. It was exactly what I needed to get well.”


“I’ll second that,” Ben agreed. “I hope we get to spend much more time in the new B&B.”


“You better,” Brian threw in.


“Well, we better go. We’ve started packing up our stuff. We should be ready to go back to Pittsburgh this afternoon.”


“Don’t overdo it,” Justin cautioned.


“I won’t,” Michael said.


“If you are still here when Bree gets home from school, I’m sure she’ll want to say goodbye,” Brian told them.


“I think we can make sure that happens,” Ben stated. “I’d like to say goodbye to the princess too.”


Brian pulled Michael into a warm hug. “I’m glad you’re better. Don’t get sick again,” he ordered gently.


“I’ll do my best,” Michael said as they headed down the lane.


 


*****

 



“Do you hafta go, Uncle Michael?” Bree asked.


“Yes, honey, I have a business to run and things to do.”


“I’ll miss you,” Bree said as she threw her arms around Michael’s neck.


“We’ll be back from time to time,” Ben promised.


“Miss you too, Uncle Ben,” Bree said hugging him tight.


“We’ll all miss you,” Justin added. “Have you got everything packed in the car?”


“We’re ready to go,” Michael said with a smile. “I’m really looking forward to getting home. I just wanted to say goodbye to this little sweetie before I left.”


Bree smiled widely, one of her sunniest, so much like her father’s famous smile.


“Drive carefully,” Brian said as he hugged each man, closely followed by Justin. Ben and Michael got in the car. The Kinney-Taylor family waved them down the lane and back to their old life.


“It will be strange not having them here all the time,” Justin observed as they walked back to the house.


“But they’ll still come back and stay, won’t they, Daddy?” Bree asked with a worried look on her face.


“Sure they will,” Brian answered.


“That’s good,” Bree agreed. “Can I have a cookie, Daddy?” she asked.


Life quickly returned to normal.


 


*****




Michael and Ben settled back into their day to day lives in Pittsburgh. Debbie and Carl still helped out at the comic shop, not wanting Michael to overtax himself right off the bat. JR still worked there after school and many weekends.


As signs of spring started to appear on Edna’s Treasures Lane, Justin watched his husband carefully. Brian seemed to have returned to his usual self after the trauma of Joan’s sudden death. But Justin couldn’t help but worry. The death coupled with Brian turning fifty in a couple of months could mean major problems for the man who so highly valued his youth and beauty. Justin had once referred to a midlife crisis, and that was exactly what he was worried about.


Before Brian turned fifty, Bree would turn nine. That was always a cause for concern in relation to what should be done for Bree’s birthday. This time it was decided that Bree should be the one to make the decision about what she wanted to do for her birthday. Both her fathers thought she would want a big party and were willing to grant her that. They wanted her to be happy, especially after the loss of her grandmother.


To their surprise, Bree said she would think about what she wanted. They had expected her to jump right in with a request that would at least rival her princess party. They would have to wait and see what she came up with.


John was still working on his neighborhood reclamation project for the city. The new neighborhood would be beautiful, functional and a big improvement over what John had started with. He and Bobby continued to be very successful in their chosen careers.


One weekend John passed through the sun porch on the way to his office in the attic. Something caught his eye.


“Bree?” he said as he spied the little girl sitting on one of the chaises, Beau lying beside her.


“Hi, Uncle John,” she replied.


“What are you doing there all by yourself?”


“Thinking.”


“Thinking? About what? Is something wrong?”


Bree shook her head. “I don’t know what to do about my birthday. I don’t want a party.”


“You don’t?” John asked as he sat down on the chaise next to Bree. He thought this might be a long conversation.


Bree shook her head again. “I won’t like it without Gamma Joan.”


“Oh, I see,” John said slowly. “But you could invite Gamma Jenn and Gamma Claire and…”


“I know,” Bree replied, “but it’s not the same.”


“No, I guess it’s not.”


“I want to do something different, not like when Gamma Joan was here.”


“That might be a good idea,” John agreed. “Do you have anything in mind?”


“I really liked the symphony until…” Bree’s voice faded away.


“What about the ballet or the opera?” John suggested. “They both have music. Or we could go to a play, maybe a musical.”


“Could Grandma Jenn and Grandma Claire and Grandma Debbie come with us?”


“I don’t see why not. What about your Grandma Susan?” John asked.


Bree made a little face. “I don’t think she and Grandpa Craig really like spending time with me,” Bree said sadly. This had been an ongoing battle over the years.


“You could always ask them and see.”


“I guess,” Bree said with a sigh.


“Bree, can I ask you something?” Bree nodded. “You still call Joan, Gamma Joan, but you called your other grandmothers grandma instead of Gamma. You call me Uncle John instead of Unca John like you used to. Why is that?’


“I don’t know,” Bree said with a frown. “Gamma Joan will always be Gamma Joan, but I’m a big girl now, so I need to use the proper words. Gamma Joan said I was all grown up.”


“And you certainly are, sweetheart, in so many ways.” John pulled her into a very warm hug. “You certainly are.”


 


*****

 



“Hi.”


“Hey, Big Red. What are you doing home?” Brian asked. Brian was standing in the middle of his garden looking around. His cart with his rake, shovel and other gardening regalia was close by.


“I could ask you the same,” Bobby teased.


“I thought I’d give Cynthia and Ted a break. Besides, the winter was murder on the garden this year. It’s beautiful out today; I thought I’d get an early start on it. What’s your excuse?”


“I need a little ‘me time’ and I can afford it. You’re right, today is beautiful.” Bobby looked up at the clear blue sky and brilliant sun. Spring was in the air. “I want to spend some time with John before he becomes the fulltime builder again.”


“Makes sense. If you want me to pick up Patrick from school, let me know.”


“Thanks. Has Bree said anything about her birthday plans to you?”


“No. She did tell your husband that she wanted to spend time with her grandmothers.”


“Well, that makes sense too. She’s missing Joan,” Bobby said gently. He placed his hand on Brian’s arm.


“I’m all right. I won’t lie to you and say I’m fine but it is better. Although I don’t think I’m ready for another Mozart concert yet,” Brian said as he picked up his rake and began to clean up.


Bobby nodded in understanding then went back into the house to find his spouse.


 


*****

 



“Bree?” Brian softly called out as he cracked open her bedroom door. Bree had been very quiet lately, doing her homework in her room and then spending a lot of time there instead of with Patrick or the rest of the family.


When Brian received no reply, he pushed the door open. Bree was asleep on her bed, her school books around her as well as her favorite dolls. Grey Bunny was sitting prominently atop one of Bree’s pillows. Muñequita was sitting close by on another pillow. And on the rocking chair where Brian and Justin had spent many hours rocking their baby girl, sat the large stuffed frog that Bobby had won for Bree in Florida.


Brian carefully looked through Bree’s books to check her school and homework. Bree had indeed finished her homework, and correctly, Brian noted with a proud smile.


“Hi, Dada,” Bree said as she stirred.


“Hey, Squirt. Dinner’s almost ready. You coming out soon?” Bree yawned and stretched.


“Yes, Dada,” Bree said with a sleepy smile.


“Then why don’t you wash your face first, it’ll make you feel better,” Brian suggested.


“Okay, Dada,” Bree said as she hopped from her bed then went into her bathroom. Brian sat on the edge of Bree’s bed as he watched her go.


“Have you made any decisions about your birthday?” Brian asked when Bree came out of her bathroom wide-eyed and ready for dinner.


“I don’t want a party,” Bree declared.


“Okay. What do you want?”


“Can me and Ashley and Patrick go to the big McDonald’s for dinner?” The one that Bree referred to had a large indoor-outdoor playground with tunnels and a large ball pit. Since the kids rarely had junk food the request made Brian arch his brow.


“Is that all you want?”


“No. Can we have dinner with all my Grandmas and Grandpas?”


“Where?”


“Here?” Big violet-blue eyes looked up into hazel eyes to plead her case.


It wasn’t an unreasonable request, Brian noted. “All of them?” Brian clarified. He knew Bree meant Susan and Craig. Bree nodded. “Then I think this requires very special invitations to all of your grandparents.”


“Oh thank you, Dada!” Bree exclaimed as she threw herself at her father for a hug. Brian could never resist a Bree hug so he hugged her back.


Bree and Brian went out to join the family for dinner and to let them know their plans.


 


*****

 



“Bree, is that you?” came a whisper in the dark. Bree was feeling lonely and couldn’t sleep. She crept into the one room that always made her feel good no matter what.


Bree nodded.


“I can’t see you,” the knowing and comforting voice said with a giggle. Bree giggled too.


“You want to sleep here?” the voice asked.


“Yeah,” Bree whispered in a little voice. She could hear the rustle of sheets and the blanket as the person in the bed made room for her.


“Okay, come on,” the inviting voice said and Bree quickly scurried into bed.


“Better?” Bree nodded as she snuggled in. “Go to sleep,” the voice commanded with a yawn.


“Okay,” Bree replied with her own yawn. She fell asleep feeling safe and surrounded by love.


 


*****

 



“She’s over here,” John said holding up his hands as Justin went running into the sun porch then skidded to a halt just before slamming into his brother-in-law.


“Patrick doesn’t mind?” Justin asked. The relief wasn’t evident in his voice.


“No, he doesn’t, even though he’s still in the ‘most girls are a pain’ stage,” John stated with a long suffering sigh.


“Soon to be replaced by the ‘most girls are hot’ stage,” Justin teased.


John glared but reluctantly nodded. “I vaguely remember that stage,” John admitted. John lost himself in his own thoughts for a minute. He did enjoy dating and all that came with it but he realized he enjoyed men better. Or specifically, one man. John had no desire for any other man.


“Earth to John,” Justin called out.


“Sorry, just reflecting. I’ll send the princess over,” John told Justin as he returned to his side of the conjoined cottages.


“I’ll start breakfast,” Justin said as he went back to his own side.


A new day was beginning.


 


*****

 



“Ashley!” Bree called out when the school bus stopped in front of the cottage then opened its doors. Bree and Patrick climbed up into the bus and quickly took their seats.


“Buckle up!” the bus matron reminded the kids then waved to Justin before the bus turned around to head back down the lane.


Justin waved then watched the bus go.


“What are your plans for today, Sunshine?” Brian walked out of the cottage dressed in his business best with briefcase in hand.


“I have a few more sketches to do for the new exhibit,” Justin said.


“Ah, more hard working burly men,” Brian snarked with emphasis on the word hard.


“Something like that,” Justin responded ignoring the snark. “I decided to dedicate this show to the working man, and woman,” Justin added before Brian could remark. “It’s not about the ‘pretty’ people. I want to capture a variety of people from teachers to sanitation workers.


“Don’t forget the waitresses and social workers. I can think of a couple that work very hard,” Brian sincerely added. Justin nodded.


Justin had been sketching and painting John’s construction crew but had no idea where the collection was leading him. He had been enjoying watching the men, especially the sight of muscles in motion. Sidney was displaying everything that Justin gave him, not ever wanting to turn down the offerings, but he hadn’t been sure about this theme. Now, Sidney had something to go on. Both Lindsay and Sidney were pleased with Justin’s concept.


“Where are you going?” Justin asked. Brian was looking exceptionally sexy in his charcoal grey Armani sport coat, cream linen shirt and crisp jeans. Justin felt his dick take notice as well.


“Scott called, he needs a little help with some sticky negotiations,” Brian replied.


“I see. And does this help require seduction?” Justin asked with narrowed eyes.


“See something you like, Sunshine?” Brian smugly purred. He enjoyed that at almost fifty, he could still get a rise out of his partner, in more ways than one.


“Yes, I do and so will a lot of other people,” Justin grumbled. Brian put his briefcase down on the path then opened his arms. Justin didn’t hesitate to move into them.


“Only you, Sunshine,” Brian whispered into the blond head. He could feel Justin nod and smile into his chest. Brian lifted Justin’s chin with a finger then gently kissed the full lips.


“I love you,” Justin mumbled against Brian’s lips.


“I know,” Brian whispered back. “I won’t be too late tonight,” he said as he bent to retrieve his briefcase.


“Okay,” Justin said, always a little sad to be parted from his partner. Justin watched as Brian walked to the Corvette. Today was a day to impress the clients and Brian was just the man to do it. Justin waved as the Corvette rumbled down the lane. Then he returned to the cottage to start his day.


 

*****

 

Two weeks before Bree’s birthday, several grandmothers and grandfathers received very special invitations.