- Text Size +

They Say It's Your Birthday


Chapter 10


 




“Daddy, can you come here?” Bree asked. She was sitting at her little work table in the sun porch while her father was painting.


Justin looked over at his daughter. The little table might soon need to be replaced. Bree was growing taller, even though Justin suspected that she would always be petite compared to other girls her age. “Give me a minute,” Justin said as he finished adding the color he was currently using to his latest painting. When he was done, he put his brushes in the solvent can and headed over to Bree. “What’s up?” he asked his daughter.


“Do these look nice?” Bree asked.


She handed her father the paper she had been working on. Justin took the piece of cover stock and looked at Bree’s handiwork. The paper was folded in half. On the front was Bree’s patented rainbow drawn meticulously. Underneath the rainbow, Bree had carefully printed in blue pencil crayon, PARTY!


“What party is this?” Justin asked with a frown.


“Dada’s.”


“Dada’s? But Brian doesn’t want a party.”


“Dada should have a birthday party,” Bree stated. “I asked him if he would come to a party if I made one for him … with cake and everything. He said he would.”


“And when did this happen?” Justin asked.


“Yesterday.”


“And when were you going to tell me about this?”


“I’m telling you now.”


“Don’t you think you should have asked me about having this party?”


“But … it’s my party for Dada,” Bree said slowly. This wasn’t working out quite the way she had expected.


“And who are you inviting?”


“You, me, Dada, Patrick and Uncle John and Uncle Bobby. I wish Gus would be here too.”


“Oh,” Justin said. That was a list of who was in the house all the time. And he thought it was best to stay away from the topic of Gus for the moment. “So why are you making invitations when it’s just the family?”


“Because it’s a party, and I wanted to.” Bree looked confused by her father’s questions. Didn’t he understand that a party required invitations?


“I see,” Justin said slowly. “What are you planning for this party?”


“Planning?” Bree asked with a frown.


“What food are you going to have? What activities? What day is it on? What time? Where?”


“Oh, we’re going to have dinner here, and I want to bake Dada a cake,” Bree stated.


“You’re going to bake a cake?”


“Yes, Daddy.”


“Will you need help doing that?”


Bree stared up at her father with big violet eyes. “I thought you could help me.” She batted her beautiful eyes at her father.


“Is that what you thought?” Justin asked trying unsuccessfully not to smile.


“Yes, Daddy.”


“I think that might be arranged.”


Bree beamed at him. “I thought I could ask Auntie Emm, but I’d rather have you help me.”


“Would you now?” Justin said with a grin. Someone had learned the fine art of flattery and manipulation. She was putting it into practice very successfully.


“I think your Dada would like Gus to be here, so let’s pick a date for your party that will make it possible for Gus to be here.”


Bree beamed. “Oh yes, Daddy, I want my Gus to be at the party.”


“What do you think Dada might like to eat at his birthday party?” Justin asked deciding that this party was going to happen, so he might as well get on board. Knowing his daughter, Justin thought it best not to dwell on the subject of Gus. It would be nice, though, to have a small, intimate party for his husband with just the immediate family.


Bree’s forehead had creased as she thought about what her Dada would like to eat for his birthday. “Cake!” she said finally.


“Besides cake,” Justin said with a laugh.


“Dada likes steak, but then he would have to cook it.”


“Yes he would,” Justin agreed.


“He likes roast chicken,” Bree suggested.


“Yes he does.”


“Could we have that?”


“I think so. Maybe with some Caesar salad and roasted potatoes.” Bree’s ponytail bobbed up and down as she nodded in agreement. “I think those are some of your Dada’s favorites.”


“Yes, Daddy. Do you like my invitations?”


“Very much. How many have you made?”


“I have two more to do.”


“Do you need any help?” Justin asked.


“Nope, I can make them. And you’ll help me make a cake, right?”


“You got it.”


“Thank you, Daddy.”


“You’re welcome, sweetheart.”


Bree got back to work on her invitations while Justin went back to his painting.


 


*****

 



“What are you doing?” Justin asked the next morning. Brian was sitting at the kitchen table staring at something.


“Looking at the mail,” he responded.


“Um, don’t you mean staring at the mail?” Justin asked as he poured himself a mug of coffee.


“I’m … surprised.”


“Surprised? By what? Did you get a huge bill that you didn’t expect?”


“No, I didn’t get a bill, I got a birthday card.”


“And why is that a surprise? Your birthday is … soon.”


“It’s from Curtis.”


“Curtis? That is a surprise.”


“He called me a few days ago.”


“He did? Why?”


“He said he wanted to thank me for the good life he has now.”


“Aw, that was very sweet.”


“Yeah, sweet.”


“So, is the card nice?”


“See for yourself.”


Justin took the card from Brian. It was handmade. On the front of it was a big old Bassett hound looking so forlorn. Above the picture, Curtis had printed: This was me! Justin opened the card. Inside it said: Before I met you. Now I’m as happy as a yappy little Chihuahua! Thank you and Happy Birthday. It was signed simply, Curtis. There was a small picture of what looked like the Taco Bell Chihuahua at the bottom of the page.


“I think Curtis has been influenced by someone we both know and love,” Justin said with a smile as he handed the card back to Brian.


“He said he was going to make me a card,” Brian said seriously. “He thought he might put a Bree rainbow on it.”


“I don’t see one,” Justin observed as he looked over Brian’s shoulder.


“I told him Bree might not like that.”


“Hm, you’re right. That’s her trademark.”


“It looks like Curtis decided to use dogs as his trademark.”


“Very appropriate for the son of a veterinarian.”


“Yeah.”


“You seem a little down,” Justin said looking closely at Brian. “I would think that card would cheer you up.”


“I like the card, but…”


“But what?”


“It made me think about how little incidents that might not seem very important can really change a life.”


“Getting mugged is hardly a little incident,” Justin stated remembering Brian’s first encounter with Curtis.


“He didn’t want to hurt me. I think I knew that right from the outset.”


“Yeah, but it was still a dangerous situation.”


“That’s what I mean,” Brian reflected. “It could have turned out so differently.”


“Are you getting philosophical as you approach fifty?”


“How much time do I have before I hit the big 5-0?”


“You still have a few hours,” Justin said with a chuckle.


“Then let’s make the most of it,” Brian replied grabbing Justin’s hand and pulling him towards the bedroom.


 


*****

 



Brian’s actual birthday passed with little fanfare. There were only six people who actually knew the date, besides the government, and one of those people had passed away. The rest, including Brian, weren’t talking. It was just another day on the calendar for the family but for Brian and Justin the date held another important significance; it was twenty years to the day that Justin was brutally attacked. The lovers had subconsciously rearranged their schedules so that they could spend the day quietly at the cottage. Brian was content, watching as Justin set up his easel and painted their blooming garden. They spent their whole afternoon out in the sun and then when everyone came home, they spent the rest of the day with their family, surrounded by love.


 


*****

 



Gus rolled the heavy loft door back, quickly cutting off the alarm then shoved several boxes through the doorway. He made a couple more trips down to his Jeep that was parked around on the side street before he entered the loft for the final time. Kicking off his sneakers, he took a good look around and sniffed at the air. He expected the loft to have a stale smell. He smiled; there was a large basket of muffins and bagels on the counter. And yup, when he opened the freezer, it was crammed with individually packed meals including someone’s infamous lasagna. The counters gleamed, not a speck of dust anywhere and the sun was streaming through the open curtains. The ‘gay grapevine’ must have been abuzz with activity. Even the mail had been sorted.


“Ah, my cwazy wittle family has struck again,” Gus murmured to himself.


Gus was finished with this semester at Penn, and if he wasn’t slated to go on to complete his masters in business administration, he would have graduated. But with his concurrent studies at PIFA, Gus had a couple more years of college; which was okay with him. He wasn’t in that much of a hurry to take over the ‘family business.’ Not yet anyway. There was a lot he had to learn and a lot of living he had to do before he settled down to be the ‘responsible’ adult he knew his parents expected him to be.


Gus had hoped he was going to be able to travel to exotic parts unknown this summer. He really wanted to see those ancient temples in India, but with his grandmother’s passing, Gus needed to be close to his family for a while. And then there was this very special invitation that Justin had over-nighted to him. He smiled as he dug into his messenger bag to take out the card that his sister had made. He knew his father had turned fifty although he wasn’t sure of the date. He also knew that the great Brian fucking Kinney wanted nothing to do with birthdays. However, Brian Kinney had an Achilles heel, the Taylor smile and blue eyes. Specifically, the smile and eyes that belonged to one Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor!


“Hey.” Gus’ grin grew wider as he answered his cell. “I just got in. Yeah, I have it. I still can’t believe he agreed to it but I’m glad he did. He needs this and so does she. Thank you for waiting until I came home to do this. I really want to be there. So this is just for us, right?”


Gus walked into the kitchen area and rummaged around in the refrigerator for something cold to drink. “Wow,” he exclaimed, then chuckled.


“What?” he heard Justin ask on the other end of the line.


“The refrigerator actually has more in it than water and peanut butter,” he laughed.


“And poppers,” Justin automatically said. “Don’t ask,” he scolded, making Gus laugh again.


“I won’t, besides I got that lecture from Debbie years ago.”


“I think I did too,” Justin said wistfully.


“And no tricks after midnight,” they said together then giggled like a couple of naughty boys.


“I’m going to put away as much as I can and do some laundry then crash so I can get an early start tomorrow,” Gus said when he got himself under control.


“Sounds like a plan to me,” Justin agreed. “Are you going to stay for the barbecue?”


“I think I better. If I don’t I’ll have half of Pittsburgh after me,” Gus said referring to the family that would be pissed if they didn’t see their ‘number one son.’


“Only the gay half,” Justin quipped, thinking that Gus sounded way too much like his father.


“You must be thinking about that other devastatingly handsome Kinney,” Gus teased as he popped open a can of soda.


“Maybe,” Justin replied then got serious. “Gus, I’m glad you’re home. I think he needs you.”


“Yeah. I think I need him and the rest of you too. I have about two weeks before I attend class at PIFA. If it’s okay with you guys, I’ll spend it at the cottage and then come back to the loft. There’s nothing here in the refrigerator that will spoil. Emm left me a basket of muffins that I can bring with me.” Gus’ brain was on overdrive changing and rearranging plans on whim.


“Your room is always ready for you, you know that,” Justin reassured him.


“Thank you.” Gus felt his throat tighten a little. “Now, before I start sounding like a lesbian, this is me hanging up.”


“Later,” Justin said, ignoring the hitch in Gus’ voice.


“Later.”


It was late in the evening when Gus emerged from the bathroom in a cloud of steam then crawled naked under the sheets of the big loft bed. He had done all his laundry, put away and hung up his clothes. He noted that his father and Justin still kept some clothes there. Even John and Bobby stored a few things in the closet. They all had business in Pittsburgh; it was convenient to stay at the loft.


Gus settled in, plugged in his cell phone to charge then picked up the loft phone to make a call.


“Hi.”


“Hi. I wondered what happened to you. I thought you were hijacked by your family or something.”


“Yeah, something like that. I’m sorry,” Gus said contritely.


“No need to apologize. You sound tired.”


“A little. I’m in bed. You?” Gus asked hopefully, getting a chuckle in his ear.


“You just want my incredible phone sex,” Ray laughed.


“Yeah,” Gus admitted. “Listen, my plans kind of changed, I hope you won’t be angry.”


“Why would I be angry? We made no concrete plans.”


“Thank you. I’m going to the cottage tomorrow then stay until my summer class starts.”


“Are you going to work at Kinnetik this summer?” Ray asked.


“I wasn’t planning to; I thought I was going to travel this summer, but…”


“I understand. Do you know if there’s a spot for you?”


“I called Cynthia earlier today. She said she saved me a spot if I wanted it. I think I do but it won’t be until mid July.”


“Then why don’t I come to you in a few weeks. We can spend some time together before you start working.”


“You’d do that?”


“Of course, I’m just the greatest boyfriend ever,” Ray said smugly.


“Yeah, you are. And you can help me eat all the food that’s been packed away in the freezer!” Gus laughed.


“Your fairy godmother struck again?”


“Yeah, and several grandmothers,” Gus said with a yawn.


“Hey, go to sleep. I’ll call you in a few days,” Ray chuckled, taking pity on his tired boyfriend.


“But I wanted…”


“Sure you do, sleepy head. How about I give you a wake-up call in the morning?”


“Promise?” Gus murmured.


“Promise.”


“I love you, Ray, and I miss you.”


“Me too, Gus. Me too. I’ll talk to you in the morning. Good night.”


“Night.” Gus pressed end on the phone then immediately fell asleep.


 


*****

 



“Wakey, wakey,” a warm breathy voice teased him out of sleep. He unsuccessfully swatted at the annoyance.


“It’s Saturday. I’m allowed to sleep late on Saturday,” he grumbled as he pulled his pillow over his head.


“Yes, you are and you have. It’s ten,” the voice said as a gentle hand reached under the pillow to ruffle his hair.


“Ten,” he asked incredulously as he worked the pillow off half his face and cracked open one eye. The effect was so endearing that John laughed and immediately swept Bobby up into his arms. Pillow, blankets and all.


“Stop it, you caveman,” Bobby laughed as his he-man hugged him hard. Bobby tried unsuccessfully to push his spouse off. “Okay, I give up. I’m all yours. Do with me what you will,” he laughed.


“Now, there’s an exciting offer,” John said as he gave Bobby a tender kiss. He peeled back the layers of bedding, freeing his spouse. “Can I have a raincheck?”


“Tease,” Bobby groused. “But, yes, you may. “What’s up, Doc?” Bobby asked as he waggled his eyebrows. John shook his head. “I always wanted to say that. Seriously, is there something going on I should know about? Brian hasn’t backed out of his party, has he?”


“No, he hasn’t. He would never do that to Bree. But Brian’s been on high alert since early this morning; he suspects something else is going on this weekend.”


“And is there something else going on this weekend?” Bobby asked. John merely arched his brow. “Oh right, right. Memorial Day. The official Edna’s Treasures barbecue to kick off the summer. I gather that Brian’s been so wrapped up in NOT acknowledging his birthday that he’s overlooked our yearly extravaganza.”


“Got it in one.”


“That’s why they pay me the big bucks,” Bobby grinned. He wrapped his arms around his caveman then kissed him silly. “So what’s our next move, other than having mad passionate monkey sex?” Bobby asked his co-conspirator.


“Justin is helping Briana cook and bake, which means…”


“Which means, he can’t sneak away to go to the store,” Bobby surmised.


“Correct again, oh brilliant one.” John stole a few more kisses. “So it’s up to us to go shopping.” John waved a list in the air.


“Do I get a reward for helping out in this venture?” Bobby gave his lover a coy smile.


“You get whatever is mine to give,” John replied.


“Tonight, my place for some mad passionate monkey sex,” Bobby murmured against John’s lips.

 

“Mmm, looking forward to it,” John whispered. He gave his spouse another kiss then regretfully let Bobby go so that they could get on with their day.