- Text Size +

They Say It's Your Birthday


Chapter 12


 


 



“Are you okay?” Gus asked as he found his father standing alone out in the middle of the garden watching the sun set over the horizon. The un-birthday dinner was the best that Brian ever experienced and he remained on his best behavior. In reality, Brian had nothing to gripe about. The food was superb, the conversation was lively, and best of all, he was surrounded by the family he loved.


“I’m fine, Gus; overstuffed with cake but fine.” Brian turned to smile at his son. The setting sun lit up blond highlights in Gus’ hair. Brian reached out to caress the soft brunet hair. Gus smiled indulgently.


“What?” Gus asked.


“You look like me...” Gus rolled his eyes and made a ‘duh’ sound. “But you have so much of your mother in you,” Brian said softly making Gus smile.


“Yeah?”


“Yes. I’m glad we waited until you came home. This dinner wouldn’t have been the same without you,” Brian said as he slipped his hands into his trouser pockets. He had long ago taken off his suit jacket when Justin and Bree brought out the cake. “Speaking about dinner, I need to walk off this cake,” Brian declared. “Wanna tag along?” he asked as he meandered through the garden.


“Sure,” Gus said as he stepped up beside his father.


They walked through the arbor pathway that connected the cottage garden with the greenhouse. Brian opened one of the doors and stepped through.


“This is so amazing!” Gus declared with awe. “It’s like walking into a tropical paradise,” he said as he spun around to take it all in. “I mean I saw it as it was being built and all the plants being planted, but now the plants have sort of settled in!”


Brian smiled proudly. It pleased him to be able to share this with his son and that Gus didn’t think his ‘gardening hobby’ was stupid or frivolous. As they walked through, Gus asked about some of the plants and potted trees. Brian took his time to answer each question.


“Ah Dad, this tree sort of looks familiar,” Gus said as he stared at a potted palm. His face became beet red with recognition. Brian snickered. Not only was it that tree that Ben posed naked with, it was also the tree that Justin convinced Lindsay to pose with.


Brian broke out into a fit of giggles as Gus raced away toward the pond.


“Oh man, it’s so not cool knowing your mother posed almost naked,” Gus said to the koi.


“Hey, what about me? I think some of the royal family have seen me naked!”


“Oh Pop, half the world has seen you naked,” Gus teased.


“Only the gay half,” Brian countered. Their laughter echoed off the glass walls.


“This is so incredible,” Gus said as he gazed at the pond. “It’s like the waterfall and plants have always been here.” He reached out to gingerly touch a water fern. “Did all the fish survive the winter?”


“Yes, they did. Between the heater and the underwater lights, they were fine.” They stood for a while looking at the happy fish that rose up to blow bubbles at them. “Come on, I’m not burning up any cake calories staring at fish,” Brian groused at he tapped his son’s shoulder. The Kinney men walked out of the greenhouse and onto the lane.


Brian came to a sudden halt, looked up and down the lane, turned then leveled a death glare at his son.


“Ah, I can explain,” Gus sputtered.


Brian put his hands on his hips and waited.


“Um, Monday is Memorial Day,” Gus began. “Uh, you know the family looks forward to your steaks and stuff.”


Brian arched his brow.


“It is the start of Summer...” Gus shrugged his shoulders. He didn’t know what else to say or how to explain how the lane became filled with cars and one huge RV in just a few short hours.


“And I suppose no one thought to mention that half of Pittsburgh was about to descend upon the lane?” Brian scowled.


“They wanted you to have a nice quiet day today so they waited to get here tonight. The rest will be here tomorrow,” Gus explained. “Grandmaw Debbie wanted to get a head start on the macaroni and potato salads.” Gus pointed to the B&B. The kitchen was big enough for several cooks.


“Which probably means the big old fairy will be waking me up at the crack of dawn to access our kitchen too,” Brian grumbled. Gus nodded. Brian sighed, resigned to the fact that his cwazy wittle family was about to take over his life again. He smiled to himself then put an arm around his son’s shoulders. “Come on, Sonny Boy, let’s walk off the cake.”


“Okay, Pop!”


For the next hour Kinney men, strolled up and down the lane.


 


*****

 



“Do you think he saw us?” Michael asked no one in particular as he peeked out of the window. He had seen Brian and Gus walk past the B&B several times. They looked like they were deep in conversation.


“He knows we’re here,” Debbie replied from the kitchen. She was currently folding the mayo into her potato salad.


“How?” Michael asked. He and Ben had driven up with Debbie and Carl in their RV. Ted and Allen carpooled with Nick and Hunter. The girls had decided to bake in their own home then drive up in the morning, while Emmett had his men on hors d’oeuvres duty in their cottage.


The lane was alive with activity.


“Sweetheart, Brian knows our cars and he certainly can see our roving motel out there,” Debbie said reasonably.


“Why do we have to wait until tomorrow to see them?” Michael whined.


“Because...” Deb began then stopped when Ben held up his hands.


“Because, Justin let Emmett know that tonight was just for Brian and his family,” Ben said gently.


“We are family,” Michael complained, folding his arms over his chest.


“His immediate family,” Ben said as he hugged his recalcitrant spouse. “Tomorrow the whole family will be here, including JR.” It pleased Ben as Michael smiled at the thought of spending the day in the country with his daughter.


“The whole lane will be overflowing,” Ted observed. He watched Allen light a fire in the large hearth. Although it was almost summer, the nights were still cool out here. Ted sat back in an overstuffed comfy chair and smiled contentedly at his partner.


“I’m glad they decided to build this,” Nick said as he waved his hand to indicate the large cottage. “It’s nice to visit up here and not impose.” Hunter nodded in agreement.


“Hi, hi, hi!” Emmett announced loudly as he entered the door with Richie and Drew in tow. They were all carrying large platters of snacks and hors d’oeuvres. “I thought you all would like a snack!” he declared as they placed the platters of snacks on the coffee table and on snack trays around the large communal living room. Their offerings were received with cheers and admiration.


“Honey!” Debbie rushed over to dole out kisses to Emmett and his men. “Sweetheart,” Debbie gushed as she hugged Richie. “It’s been ages since I’ve seen you,” she said as she tightened her hold on her latest grandchild.


“Debbie!” Emmett cried out as he pried Richie out of her clutches. “Deb, you saw Richie a week ago.”


“It’s okay, Emm,” Richie said as he relished in his grandmother’s arms.


“I love you, Sweetheart,” Debbie said as she finally relinquished her hold and slightly stepped back.


“I love you too, Grandma,” Richie said with a warm smile then kissed her cheek.


The gathered family enjoyed the snacks that Emmett brought as they traded stories and news.


 


*****

 



“He’s peeking out the window again,” Gus said softly to his father as they passed the B&B for the last time. Brian snickered.


“He’s probably wondering if I know who’s here.”


“Well, duh,” Gus said as he rolled his eyes.


“Your Uncle Michael is one in a million,” Brian quipped.


“I guess so. Did you and he ever...”


“No, we didn’t. He was my best friend and I didn’t do friends,” Brian snapped.


“Oh. Sorry.”


“No, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have snapped at you. It was an honest question, deserving an honest answer. I meant what I said, I didn’t do my friends. For the longest time Michael was the best friend I ever had. I couldn’t use him like that.”


“Thank you,” Gus said as he stopped his father from walking into Edna’s Treasures.


“For what?”


“For being honest with me. And thank you for letting me share in your birthday.” Brian frowned. “I mean un-birthday. I enjoyed it.”


“So did I,” Brian admitted as he ruffled Gus’ hair then stepped across the threshold into their cottage.


 


*****

 



The next morning dawned cloudy and overcast which meant that there would still be a holiday barbecue, but probably not as much fun in the sun as the family usually would experience on a Memorial Day weekend.


Not long after the sun had peeked above the horizon, Brian was awakened by a familiar call.


“Hi, hi, hi! Rise and shine.”


“Fuck!” Brian muttered as he pulled the pillow over his head.


“Wha…?” Justin asked as he came to.


“The big fairy’s here.”


“So get up and go help him.”


“You’re getting awful pushy these days,” Brian griped.


“You know you’re going to get up anyway, so go do it.”


“And let you sleep.”


“Of course,” Justin mumbled before turning over and snuggling down into his sheets.


“Fucking asshole,” Brian muttered as he threw back the covers making sure that he pulled them off his lazy husband as he did so.


“I believe that position’s already been filled … by you,” Justin stated as he rescued the covers and snuggled back down.


“Fuckin’ birthday, don’t even get a day’s peace, assholes everywhere,” Brian jabbered while he headed to the bathroom.


Justin merely smiled and dozed off.


 


*****

 



“Good morning, your heineyness,” Emmett joked as Brian entered the kitchen.


Ignoring the comment, Brian walked to the coffee maker and got a mug of the excellent brew that Emmett had made.


“Good morning, Dada,” Bree said formally from her chair at the kitchen table.


“Did he get you up too?” Brian snapped.


“No, Dada, I been awake forever.”


“You have?” Brian asked with a frown. “Couldn’t you sleep?”


“I slept real good. But the sun has been up forever.”


“What the fuck time is it?” Brian asked looking at the clock on the stove.


“It’s after ten, Dada. You and Daddy slept a loooooong time.”


“I bet there was a hot time in the old cottage last night,” Emmett observed then took a sip of his own coffee.


“What are you doing here anyway?” Brian asked with a frown.


“I’m the official welcoming committee,” Emmett replied, a big toothy grin in place.


“Welcoming? To what?”


“To the barbecue over at the B&B.”


“Oh, right, the one where I get to grill all day while the rest of you lot stuff your faces with the fruits of my labor.”


“Precisely.”


“Precisely, Dada,” Bree chimed in. “Everybody loves your steaks and hamburgers and hotdogs.”


“That’s because I know what the fuck I’m doing when I’m in front of the grill, unlike some of the other … incompetents who pretend to grill.”


“We all know your legendary grilling skills, Mr. Kinney. I was sent over to request the pleasure of your company at the barbecue. If you choose not to grill after your lovely birthday party, everyone will understand.”


“Yeah, Dada, they’ll understand,” Bree added.


Brian looked from one earnest face to the other. “I’ll grill,” he said as he took a drink of his coffee.


Emmett smiled. “I brought you some popovers as a reward.”


“Thanks,” Brian said with a genuine smile for his friend, refusing to admit how well Emmett knew him. He grabbed a popover and bit off a succulent hunk.


“Good, I’m glad that’s settled,” Emmett replied.


 


*****

 



When Brian and Justin walked into the B&B just before noon, everyone in the room turned to look at the birthday boy. It was common knowledge that Bree had thrown a birthday party for her father, something unheard of in the life of Brian Kinney.


“You can all stop staring now,” Brian commanded. “I’m fifty and I’m still alive, although I don’t know why the fuck that should be!”


“It’s because of all the generous love and care from your devoted partner,” Justin supplied with a twinkle in his eye.


“Oh, you mean the devoted partner who kicked me out of bed at the crack of dawn today, and then went back to sleep?”


“The very same,” Justin replied with a grin. “And it was hardly the crack of dawn.”


Brian snorted. “Are the grills in good condition or do I have to whip them into shape before I can cook?” he asked by way of changing the subject.


“Everything is ready and awaiting your talented hands, master,” Emmett said. “Follow me and all will be revealed.”


The two men walked out into the yard where several tables were surrounded by familiar faces, even though the day was still rather cloudy and cool.


Once Brian’s inspection of the grills was completed, and they did pass his stringent standards, Emmett headed back into the B&B, while Brian started up the grills to get them nice and hot for hamburgers and hotdogs at lunch.


Michael walked over to his old friend at the grills. “You knew I was here last night,” he said in an accusing voice.


“Yes, I did,” Brian simply replied.


“Why didn’t you come in and see how I’m doing?”


“You look just fine to me.”


“You couldn’t see that last night … through the walls of the B&B.”


“I have my sources of information,” Brian said as he adjusted the temperature knobs on the barbecues.


“You’d rather talk to Maw than to me.”


“That’s not the case. Gus and I had some things we were discussing last night. I knew I’d see you today.”


“And you rushed right over to see me the moment you got here,” Michael said sarcastically.


“Stop being a petulant little asshole,” Brian said, “and give me a hug.” Michael smiled and moved into the warmth of Brian’s arms. “How are you doing, Mikey … truthfully?”


“I’m good. Almost back to normal.”


“You’ll never be normal.”


Michael cracked up, causing Brian to start laughing too. The two of them shared some cathartic laughter, and all was right in their world.


 


*****

 



The younger members of the cwazy wittle family that had somehow grown to surround Brian Kinney were seated in the backyard of the B&B where the sun was doing its best to break through the clouds.


“So, you’re working at Kinnetik for part of the summer?” Candy asked Gus.


“Yep, that’s the plan,” Gus replied.


“You like it there, don’t you?” JR asked.


“Sure, it’s great. Are you going to be at the comic store all summer?” Gus asked his sister after he took a long sip of his soda.


“I sure am. Daddy’s feeling a lot better, but he still needs to take it easy. I can run the store all by myself if they’d let me,” JR declared.


“I just bet you could,” Gus laughed. His sister was her own type of high powered entrepreneur. “What about you, Candy? What are you doing for the summer?”


“Mim said I might be able to do some grunt work at the gallery. I think I’d like that as long as it doesn’t interfere with drawing Rage.”


“Grunt work?”


“Yeah, you know, coffee, opening packages, whatever they need done.”


“Oh, you mean a gofer,” Gus laughed.


“I prefer not to be so designated,” Candy said haughtily.


Curtis laughed. “I bet. Nobody wants to be a gopher. You’d rather be a long, sleek Afghan hound or a commanding lioness. More classy.”


“I am a lioness,” Candy declared.


Richie looked longingly at the girl. “You sure are, and you’re great at whatever you do.”


“At least someone recognizes that,” Candy said and then giggled to show that she was just teasing. “Are you working with your dads at the veterinary clinic, Curtis?” she asked sipping some lemonade.


“Yeah, I think I really want to be a vet, so all the experience I can get with animals I should do now. It won’t be that long before university.”


“I hear it’s really hard to get into veterinary medicine,” Gus observed.


“Yeah it is, but I can do it.”


Gus smiled at the young man who had developed such confidence and ability since Hector and Raphael had taken him in. “For what it’s worth, I think you can do it too,” Gus added. That earned him a big smile from Curtis and his sister. “That was a pretty great card you sent Pop,” he also threw in.


Curtis shook his head indicating that Gus shouldn’t mention that. Gus shrugged and looked sorry that he had brought it up. He sensed that Curtis didn’t want it to be common knowledge.


“Are you making more clothes for Torso this summer?” Gus asked Richie before anyone else could make a comment or a question about Curtis’ card.


“Yeah,” Richie said with a big smile. “I’ve made a couple of new designs that really turned out well. I should have a full summer of work.”


Bree stood off to the side listening to her brother and sister and the other young people. She wished she could participate, but she was well aware that they’d tell her she was too young. Then an idea struck her. She ran over to her Dada at the grills.


“Dada, can I get a job at Kinnetik?”


Brian nearly dropped the hamburger he was flipping. He opened his mouth to say something, but couldn’t think of what to say. Where was Justin when you needed him?

 

tbc

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked They Say It's Your Birthday also liked 130 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is The First Fifty. The next story in the series is Kidz.