- Text Size +

They Say It's Your Birthday


Chapter 4


 





“Daddy, Dada, how do I look?” Bree asked before she twirled around in front of her fathers. She was wearing the new pink dress she had chosen for her birthday dinner.


“You look like a million dollars, sweetheart,” Justin said with a big smile.


“Make that a billion dollars,” Brian said. Bree smiled and curtsied.


“I think it should be a trillion dollars,” Emmett threw in as he watched the little family in the living room while he was preparing for the birthday dinner in the kitchen.


“I think that hair of yours could use this,” Brian added holding out a little jewelry box with a pink ribbon around it.


“What is it?” Bree asked with very big eyes.


“It’s a little present Daddy and I got for you, because you’re our very grown up little girl.”


Bree pulled one end of the ribbon and it fell away from the box. She flipped the lid and let out a little gasp. “Are they diamonds?” she asked in a hushed voice.


Brian and Justin chuckled. So did Emmett who had been listening to the whole thing.


“No, Squirt, they’re called rhinestones.”


“Or you could just call them bling,” Emmett suggested as he walked into the living room from the kitchen.


“Ooh, bling!” Bree gushed.


“Here, let me clip it in your hair,” Brian said as he took the little jeweled barrette out of the case. It was shaped like a capital “B” encrusted with rhinestones. “There, that looks beautiful,” Brian stated.


“Adorable,” Emmett agreed.


“Go check it in the mirror,” Justin instructed. Bree ran to her bedroom to look at her new trinket.


“That was very sweet of you guys,” Emmett observed. “I know she said she didn’t care if she got presents this year.”


Brian snorted. “What kid doesn’t want presents?”


“Don’t underestimate your daughter,” Emmett cautioned.


“I’d never do that, but she is a kid.”


“Going on thirty.”


“Daddy, Dada, I love my barrette,” Bree said as she bounced back into the room. “It’s great!”


“I’m glad you like it, sweetheart,” Justin replied giving her a hug.


“Can we see the sun porch now, Auntie Emm?” Bree asked. The family had been banned from the porch while Emmett decorated. He had promised that it would be tasteful and grown up.


“I think that could be arranged,” Emmett said holding out his hand to Bree. She slid her hand into his and he led her through the kitchen to the sun porch. Brian and Justin followed.


“Wow!” Bree said as she stepped into the sun porch.


“Double wow,” Justin agreed.


“Not bad,” Brian contributed, earning a shake of the head from Emmett followed by a grin that played around the corners of his mouth.


They all stood just inside the doorway from the house and surveyed what Emmett had created.


The long tables had been laid end to end to accommodate the sixteen people who would be guests at the dinner. Brian and Justin had asked Emmett to join them, but he had said he would be the hired help for the party, and would be spending his time going back and forth to the kitchen and serving wine and food. He would spend his time in the kitchen and leave Bree with her immediate family and her large group of grandparents.


“I love it, Auntie Emm,” Bree whispered reverently as she started to walk along the table. Her hand slid over the soft pink cloth that covered the tables making them look like one large table. The dishes and flatware sparkled as did the crystal glasses that sat in front of each place setting. Matching pink napkins were styled like exotic birds atop each plate. Spaced down the length of the table were groupings of pink and white tulips with candles interspersed. A tiny silver place card holder stood at each place setting. In each was a little pale pink card with the name of the guest handwritten in beautiful tiny script.


“You outdid yourself, Honeycutt,” Brian stated.


“Thanks,” Emmett said with a toothy grin. “I think it looks very elegant and grown up, but also just like our Miss Bree.”


“Exactly,” Justin agreed.


“Am I sitting here?” Bree asked as she reached the end of the table. The place card at the head of the table read Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor.


“You have the place of honor,” Emmett informed her. “Your daddies are on each side of you.” Emmett had draped some of the same pink fabric of the tablecloth over the chair where Bree would sit. It was tied with a bow in the back. It singled out that seat at the head of the table, and made it special for the birthday girl. Bree smiled happily as she took it all in.


Brian looked around the rest of the sun porch. Bunches of his tulips and other flowers were tastefully placed near the chaises and on Bree’s work table. The whole room could have been from a very high class restaurant or hotel, yet it was still their place, homey and welcoming.


“You used the flowers very well,” Brian told Emmett.


“Thank you again, kind sir. I hoped you would approve.”


“It’s magnificent, Emm,” Justin said.


“Yeah, magnificent,” Bree agreed.


“Thank you, my lady,” Emmett responded with a courtly bow. “I’m so glad that you are pleased.”


“Very pleased,” Bree replied with a little curtsy. “I love it all.”


“Your guests should be arriving soon, so I better check that everything is ready,” Emmett said before bustling off to the kitchen.


“Is it safe to come in?” a voice called from the other side of the sun porch.


“I believe it is,” Brian responded.


John, Bobby and Patrick entered through their doorway. They stopped in amazement as they viewed the transformation that Emmett had wrought.


“It’s beautiful, Uncle John,” Bree said.


“Absolutely!” John agreed. “This is going to be a very special birthday.”


Bree nodded in agreement.


“Wow, Bree, you must feel so grown up,” Patrick said sincerely.


Bree smiled at her cousin and friend. She merely nodded.


The doorbell rang at that moment.


“Want to bet it’s Debbie?” Bobby asked with a chuckle.


“No contest,” Brian said looking at his watch. It was an even earlier arrival than Debbie would customarily make. Brian opened the door and was surprised to see Bobby’s parents, Dan and Emily, standing there. “Hello,” he said surprised that the Morrisons were the first to arrive. They had been the last to reply to the invitation, thinking some kind of mistake had been made since they had no blood link with Bree at all.


“Hello, Brian,” Emily said smiling widely. “I know we’re a little early, but we wanted to tell Bree how honored we felt to be included in her grandparents dinner.”


“Hi, Grandma Emily, Grandpa Dan,” Bree chirped up. “I’m very glad you were able to come.” She said the words just the way she had practiced them in her bedroom.


Brian and Justin smiled, while Bobby and John hugged the older couple. Patrick took the beautifully wrapped present they had brought and placed it on a table in the sun porch that Emmett had set up for that purpose. He then returned to share in the hugs.


“Thank you for inviting us, Bree,” Dan said.


“Come on in. We have drinks in the living room,” Justin said.


They all moved inside and had just got their drinks worked out when the doorbell rang again.


“Debbie,” everyone said, and sure enough it was.


The flamboyant redhead hugged Bree tightly while Carl gave their gift to Patrick who placed it on the table in the sun porch next to the present his grandparents had brought. That would be the ritual for the party as each pair of guests arrived.


There were lots of hugs and sincere thank you’s about being invited to this special party. Jennifer and Seth told Bree how proud they were that Bree had thought up the idea for a grandparents’ party. It would be a very special day. Claire and Steve felt very special at being included too.


When everyone had a drink and was settled in the living room, it became obvious that one set of grandparents hadn’t yet arrived. Bree kept glancing toward the front door. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath while they continued to make small talk to cover up their nervousness. No one wanted Bree to be upset and disappointed on her birthday.


“If he doesn’t come, I’m going to kill him,” Justin spat out to Brian, doing so as quietly as he could so as not to make a scene.


“I’ll hold him down for you while you do it,” Brian averred.


“How can he do this to Bree … time and time again?” Justin asked in a whisper.


“We’re never inviting him to anything again,” Brian stated.


“Agreed.”


“More hors d’oeuvres?” Emmett asked as he came out of the kitchen with a tray of his famous delicacies. “Mr. Kinney. I have some of your favorite blue cheese and pear.”


“I’ve lost my appetite,” Brian growled before moving behind the bar to make himself another drink.


“This is so not good,” Emmett whispered to Justin.


“They said they would come,” Justin replied with a sad look on his face. “I thought Susan would be able to…”


Just then the doorbell rang. Brian and Justin exchanged a glance before Brian headed for the door. He yanked the door open not sure whether he hoped Craig would be standing there or not. He wanted to kick the asshole’s butt up and down the lane.


“I’m so sorry we’re late,” Susan began. “We had a flat tire and we had to wait over an hour for the AAA.”


“Is that right?” Brian asked making it clear he didn’t really believe them.


“Too bad I wasn’t with you,” Emmett said deciding to intervene in the standoff at the door. “I’m a crack tire changer.”


“You?” Craig asked skeptically. He looked almost sorry that they were arriving so late.


“Emmett has many extraordinary skills,” Brian stated much to Emmett’s surprise. “I’ve been the personal beneficiary of his tire changing expertise.”


“Why don’t you both come in and get a drink. You look like you could use it,” Emmett said taking the present that Susan was holding. He handed it to Patrick who had taken on the job of placing Bree’s presents in the special spot.


“That would be lovely,” she said as she stepped over the threshold. Brian stepped back to let Craig pass by.


“There’s my granddaughter!” Craig exclaimed as Bree appeared in the hallway.


“I didn’t think you were going to come,” Bree stated uncertainly. She remained well back from her grandfather not sure whether she really believed he had come to her party or not.


“We wouldn’t miss this for the world,” Susan replied.


“Not in a million years,” Craig added.


“You have before,” Bree accused. It was evident she was hurt that her grandparents hadn’t been able to get there on time.


Brian tried to hide his smirk. That was exactly what he would have said.


“I’m sorry, Bree,” Craig said trying to sound truthful. “We really did have a flat tire.”


“You could have called,” Justin said.


“Look, I forgot my cell phone, and Susan’s died after we called AAA. We’re here now, so can we just have a congenial time?” Craig asked.


“That would be nice,” Justin said, but his face mirrored the disappointment that Bree’s had shown.


“Can I have a hug?” Craig asked Bree.


“Okay,” Bree replied as she walked over to her grandfather and let him hug her. She did not hug back. She did the same with Susan who was visibly shaken by the lack of response.


“We really are sorry, Bree,” Susan said close to tears. “The last thing we want is to spoil your party.”


“It’s okay,” Bree said slowly. “We waited for you.”


“Thank you for doing that.”


“I could use that drink,” Craig interjected.


“I bet,” Brian muttered as he headed for the bar.


“Hello, everyone,” Susan said as she followed her husband into the living room. “I’m so sorry we’re late.”


There was a chorus of polite, if not entirely sincere, comments about it not being a problem, and that everyone was glad they were finally there. Craig and Susan got their drinks and found a seat. Emmett brought out another round of hors d’oeuvres. He also informed the guests that dinner would be served shortly.


After everyone had enjoyed a few more nibblies, Emmett invited them all to proceed to the dinner table. There were gasps of amazement as the guests saw the transformation of the sun porch that Emmett had managed. Everyone complimented him on his excellent taste and creative eye. Emmett basked in the glory for a moment before asking them all to take their seats.


When everyone was seated, Brian stood and welcomed them to Bree’s grandparent birthday party. He explained that he and Justin were very happy to host all of the assembled grandparents and were very proud of their daughter for thinking of doing this for her birthday. He stared at Craig when he talked about them all being there together. He wasn’t ready to let Craig Taylor off the hook for upsetting Bree, whether it was truly a flat tire or just Craig’s usual reluctance to be in the same room with him.


“Please, enjoy your dinner,” Brian said before he sat down.


“That was good, Dada,” Bree said patting her father’s hand.


“Thanks, Squirt. Are you still sure you want to speak at the end of dinner?”


“Yes, Dada, I want to.”


“Okay,” Brian said with a genuine smile for his precocious daughter.


Emmett began to serve the first course which was an elegantly arranged shrimp cocktail with his own special cocktail sauce. He had kept the portions small because there were several courses.


The Anderson-Morrisons and their in-laws were at one end of the table with the Kinney-Taylors at the other. Debbie and Carl and Craig and Susan were across the table from each other near the middle. Debbie enjoyed the shrimp cocktail and decided it would be polite to talk to Craig and Susan.


“Emmett has outdone himself with the food,” Debbie observed. “If everything else is this good, I’ll be gaining a pound or two today.


“This sauce is delicious,” Susan said.


“Did you work up an appetite trying to change that tire?” Debbie asked Craig.


He looked up at her. “I don’t change tires. We waited for the AAA.”


“It’s good to be handy with that kind of thing,” Debbie told him. “My Carl can change a tire lickety-split.”


“Not all of us are so good with our hands,” Craig told her with a sour look on his face.


“Couldn’t change a tire on that RV of ours,” Carl said trying to channel the conversation into more neutral territory.


“Have you had a flat on it?” Susan asked.


“No, thank God,” Carl replied. “We’d need one of those big tow trucks if we ever ran into trouble.”


“It must guzzle gas,” Craig said smugly.


“Quite a bit,” Carl admitted, “but it saves us in motel costs.”


Craig nodded and that was the end of that conversation.


Emmett next served Caesar salad which was one of Bree’s favorites. Conversation continued amongst the family members. Several of the others attempted to engage Craig in conversation, but he seemed rather reluctant, merely giving brief answers to enquiries and making little input of his own.


The prime rib was excellent, a huge hunk of meat, which meant that those that wanted well done could have the outer pieces and those wanting rarer cuts would wait till Emmett carved nearer the center which was quite rare. The roast, baked potato and asparagus were all declared absolutely delicious by all in attendance, even Craig who had to admit it was one of the best pieces of meat he had ever had.


“I used a horseradish crust that I have been experimenting with, Emmett explained as he cleared the plates from the table. There was hardly a scrap of food left on any plate.


“Dada,” Bree whispered, “there wasn’t any horse in that, was there?” The worried look on his daughter’s face warned Brian not to tease her.


“No, Squirt, you remember having radishes from the farmer’s market last summer?” Bree nodded. “Horseradish is made from a different kind of radish which is white instead of red.”


“Oh! That’s good. So no horse?”


“None at all.” Bree smiled at her father relieved by the explanation.


“Before we have birthday cake and ice cream,” Emmett said to the group, “I thought you might like a little respite, so I have coffee and more wine or tea or anything else you would like to drink.”


While Emmett took everyone’s requests for beverages, Bree whispered to her Dada. He nodded and waited until Emmett had gone to prepare the drinks before standing up.


“May I have your attention, everyone?” Brian said loudly enough to be heard over the conversations that had started up once again. “Justin and I are very pleased that you are all here with us on Bree’s special day. I hope you’re enjoying the food. I certainly am. Emmett has outdone himself.”


Everyone gave Emmett a round of applause as he returned with a tea cart full of drinks. He bowed and smiled in acknowledgement before beginning to hand out the drinks.


“Once everyone has what they wish to drink, Bree would like to speak to you all,” Brian continued.


Every face turned towards the little girl. Bree nodded and smiled at them all, waiting until her Auntie Emm had handed out all the cups and filled all the glasses.


“Here you go, Squirt,” Brian said lifting Bree up to stand on her chair so everyone could see her and hear her. They all turned to look at her.


Bree cleared her throat and commenced the speech she had given great thought to. “I wanted all of you to come here today because it’s my birthday, and I wanted to spend it with my grandparents that I love so much.”


The grandparents all smiled at Bree. John nodded in approval.


“But one of my grandmas isn’t here,” Bree continued. “I wish she was. My Gamma Joan … I miss her so much.”


“We all do,” several people said.


“We’ve been studying family history and heritage in my school. My Gamma Joan helped me so much to learn about my Dada’s family. I never knew Grandpa Jack, but now I have pictures of him, because Gamma Joan gave them to me. We made new albums and spent a lot of time together. She had cookies every time we got together.”


Most of the grandparents nodded and smiled.


“I had to do a presentation to my class on my family’s culture. I talked about Ireland and about the family history that Gamma Joan taught me. I found out that I have way more grandparents that anybody else in my class … maybe in my whole school.”


The grandparents looked around the table, each counting up how many grandparents Bree actually claimed as hers. Several chuckles ensued.


“I think I have a very special family,” Bree declared. “Thank you for coming to my party and making it a special day for me and my daddies.” Bree hopped down off her chair and was swept up into Justin’s arms.


“You were great, sweetheart,” Justin whispered to her as he held her in a warm hug.


“Ditto, Squirt,” Brian said as he hugged both of them.


Once the fathers were finished with their hugs each grandparent felt compelled to do the same. Bree was swamped with hugs and congratulations on her very grown up and heartfelt speech. That took quite a while since there were so many grandparents involved, to say nothing of John, Bobby and Patrick.


“Ladies and gentlemen, it is time for cake!” Emmett interrupted them finally. He carried in a beautiful layer cake decorated in pale pink icing the same color of the tablecloth. Along the sides of the cake were tulips in a deeper pink and a white. Nine candles burned on the top.


The cake was placed in front of Bree who made her wish and blew out the candles. Emmett began to cut and hand out pieces of cake with ice cream for those who wanted it.


“It’s Vic’s coconut cake!” Debbie exclaimed as she took a bite.


“Of course,” Emmett grinned. “Briana Victoria is named after him.”


The whole group enjoyed the cake, more drinks, good conversation and happy memories, until they all took their leave a couple of hours later. Everyone declared this one of the best parties they had ever been too.


“You did good, Emmett,” Justin said as Emmett headed for his own cottage. “And you were wonderful, Bree.”


“Thanks, Daddy,” Bree said with a yawn.


“I think you’re ready for bed,” Brian told her.


“Yes, Dada. I’m tired.”


“Squirt, you did really, really well today. I’m very proud of you.”


Bree smiled happily. “I’m proud of me too. Maybe I’ll open my presents tomorrow.”


“Good idea,” Justin said. “Go put your jammies on.”


“Okay, Daddy, and … thanks for my grown up party. I loved it.” Bree turned and ran down the hall to her room before her fathers could reply.


“I’m ready for bed too,” Brian said with a waggle of his eyebrows. “We can celebrate in style.”


“That’s a date, just as soon as we get our brilliant daughter tucked in for the night.”


“She is brilliant, isn’t she?” Brian said smugly.

 

“She’s everything I could have hoped for.” They both nodded in total agreement on that count.