- Text Size +

They Say It's Your Birthday


Chapter 7


 




When Brian returned from his lunch with Ben, he stowed the stress ball in the closet of his office along with the other “gift” he had received. As much as he could use a de-stressor some days, he wasn’t ready to use any of his “gifts” just yet.


He sat down on the sofa in his office and thought about these gifts. They were a puzzle. He wondered who could be sending them to him. He had thought his friends were playing a joke on him, but Ben seemed totally unaware of what was in the package. Brian couldn’t see Michael orchestrating such a thing and not telling Ben. Gus might do something like this, but he was across the state and busy finishing up his exams and his projects for college. Also, Gus wouldn’t waste his money on delivery services and the presents that Brian had received. Brian mentally skimmed through the rolodex of his friends. There didn’t seem to be any other likely candidates, but these presents, such as they were, were coming from someone or some group.


With a sigh Brian stood up and went to his desk to get some work done before he went home.


He was just finishing up an idea when the intercom informed him that he had a call.


“Kinney.”


“Hey,” Justin’s voice replied.


“Hey yourself. What’s up?”


“I wondered if you were staying until quitting time … or maybe coming home early.”


“You looking for a sweaty body to attack?” Brian asked with a chuckle.


“I could be persuaded.”


“I could be there in an hour.”


“Sounds good to me. Bree won’t be home from school for an hour after that.”


“Is that enough time?”


“I think we can make it work,” Justin assured him.


Brian could almost feel Justin’s grin across the telephone lines. “Leaving … immediately,” Brian stated.


“Good.”


The line went dead.


With a feral grin, Brian saved his work and shut down his computer. He packed up and was out of the office in less than five minutes.


 


*****

 



“Hey John,” Hunter called as he walked into Joan’s house.


“Out here,” John responded.


Hunter made his way through the house towards the backyard where John’s voice had come from. “Wow!” he reacted as he saw what was happening. “I thought you were going to add an upper level,” Hunter said as he surveyed the yard.


“Zoning bylaws,” John said.


“Huh?”


“The house already had an upstairs, and no other houses on the block have a third story. We’re going to put a bedroom in the attic, but we couldn’t raise the roof. It wouldn’t be in keeping with the neighborhood.”


“So since you can’t go up…”


“We’re going out,” John finished the idea.


“Will we still have rooms for six kids?”


“That’s the plan,” John replied.


“Have you had any comments from the neighbors?” Hunter asked.


John saw the look of apprehension on Hunter’s face. “I’ve had a couple of inquiries.”


“Were they worried or curious or … angry?” Hunter asked.


John understood that group homes were often hated in the communities where they were established. It was the old “not in my backyard” syndrome. People knew these kinds of places were needed, but they feared the people and problems that often came with them. They didn’t want their supposedly peaceful neighborhoods disrupted with unsavory characters.


“John?”


“I spoke to two people from the neighborhood,” John explained. “They stopped by to see what we were doing. The first one wanted to know if criminals would be moving in. I told her no.”


“I guess technically they’re not criminals … anymore.”


“They’re good kids when they get themselves straightened out,” John averred.


Hunter smiled. John was a great supporter of his programs … and of the kids who passed through them. “And the second person?” Hunter asked.


“She was worried about her security. She was an older lady who wanted to know if she needed to fortify her home. The people along the street are worried about their safety.”


“I was afraid of that,” Hunter said.


“I hope I helped the situation,” John said. “I introduced them to Jason,” he added. John indicated one of Hunter’s kids who was helping to work on the foundation of the extension of the house. “Jason assured the first guy that he was the kind of person who would be living in the group house. The second lady was very impressed with him too. She wants to hire him to level her front walkway.”


“Really?” Hunter asked with a smile.


“Your protégés are your best advertisement,” John said.


“That’s good to know. I’ll have to thank Jason for putting his best foot forward.”


“Jason’s a good worker, and a good kid, but you already knew that,” John said.


Hunter smiled. “I like to think all my kids are great, but it’s nice to see them prove it.”


“I think you should keep close tabs on this house when it opens. You want good PR for this place, before we open the same kind of housing in other areas.”


“I totally agree, and I intend to see that everything goes well here.”


John nodded. “Whatever you do with these kids really works, Hunter.”


Hunter smiled. “I wish I could bottle it, but I guess I just really care about these kids.”


“And maybe that’s the key.”


 


*****

 



Justin rolled off Brian and let out a satisfied groan.


“Proud of yourself?” Brian asked as he turned onto his back.


“Very.”


“So easily satisfied,” Brian observed snarkily.


“You seemed rather satisfied yourself just a few moments ago,” Justin reminded his partner.


“Perhaps so, but I do have very high standards.”


“Very high,” Justin agreed with a grin.


Brian glanced at the clock beside the bed. “The school bus will be pulling in shortly.”


“Yeah,” Justin said. He sat up in bed. “Do you think we’ll ever get tired of this, or … too old to care?”


“That’s when you shoot me,” Brian stated forcefully.


“I couldn’t shoot you.”


“Yes you could.”


Justin shook his head. “Nope, I think we’ll have to drive off a cliff if things get to that point.”


“Joint suicide. I don’t know of any cliffs nearby.”


“We could go on a road trip to find one,” Justin suggested.


“And what would we do at night, if we couldn’t fuck anymore?”


“I’m sure we could think of something.”


“I suppose we could read the Gideon Bibles to each other while we’re in some cheap motel room.”


Justin snorted. “Since when have you ever stayed in a cheap motel?”


“Hm, not recently.”


“Besides I don’t think they allow Gideon Bibles anymore. Someone protested about them. But, I think they have dirty movies in some motels,” Justin suggested with a waggle of his eyebrows.


“No!” Brian said with mock horror. “Gay ones?”


“Uh huh.”


“I’m liking the sound of this road trip more and more.”


“It’s for when we’re old and sexless.”


“That’s never going to happen,” Brian averred.


“Now that’s the answer I was looking for.”


“Was this a test?” Brian asked.


“Kind of.”


Brian shook his head. “You’re nuts, you know.”


“I know, but you love me anyway.”


“Of course I do,” Brian said pulling Justin back down on top of him.


“Hm, I seem to feel something hard against my groin,” Justin observed.


“I don’t need Viagra yet,” Brian informed his husband. He gave a passing thought to his un-gift of the pill shaped stress ball.


“So I see, but Bree will be home in less than fifteen minutes.”


“So, we have to get up.”


“Yes, dear.”


“Fuck,” Brian mumbled as he sat up. “Ow, shit, ouch!”


“What?”


“Back pain.”


“Are you okay?”


“I don’t know,” Brian said as he rubbed a spot in his lower back.


“Should I call a doctor?”


“Christ, no! I’m fine,” Brian said as he got gingerly off the bed.


“Let’s take a hot shower together. Maybe that’ll fix you right up.”


“Being twenty years younger would fix me up even better,” Brian said as he rubbed his sore back all the way to the bathroom.


“I can’t make that happen, but I can make you feel sooooo much better,” Justin promised as he followed Brian into the bathroom.


“In ten minutes?”


“Just long enough for me to work my magic.”


And it was.


 


*****

 



The dinner dishes were washed, homework was checked and the family was left to their own devices.


“Hey,” Brian greeted Justin when he walked into the sun porch. Their preferred dining room had once again been transformed into the artist’s studio.


“Hey,” came a mumbled response. Justin was chewing on the tip of his paint brush.


“One of these days you’re going to get brush poisoning,” Brian quipped as he made himself comfortable on a chaise to indulge in his favorite pastime, Sunshine watching. He also brought a few contracts and financial statements with him to review.


“What the fuck is brush poisoning,” the object of Brian’s obsession demanded to know.


“I don’t know. You tell me. You’re always chomping down on the ends of your brushes. I’m surprised you haven’t cracked a tooth or gotten splinters in your tongue.”


“You’re being ridiculous.”


“Maybe, but I got you to stop making like a beaver,” Brian snarked proudly.


“Why don’t you make like a ghost and vanish. I’m painting here.”


“But I happen to like the view,” Brian said with a waggle of his eyebrows. He was sitting at “ass” level. Justin looked over his shoulder when he caught the leer in his partner’s eyes.


“You’re incorrigible.”


“Yes, I am but you love me anyway.”


“Yes, I do but I really want to finish this tonight. I’ve been inspired.”


“I can tell and I’ve been inspired too,” Brian murmured as he noted that the front of his jeans was getting a little snug and it wasn’t from overeating. “But I can be a very patient man. So, if it won’t hinder your creative process, I’m just going to sit here and read.”


“Mmm mm,” was all the response that Brian received. Justin was already into artist mode. Brian recognized the look and knew that “Mm” was probably the last word he’d get out of Justin for several hours. It was fine. A preoccupied Justin was just as sexy as one that had his undivided attention. Brian took out his contracts and began to read.


“Brian? Brian?” Brian felt a gentle hand shaking his shoulder. He stretched and yawned then gave himself a little scratch. He opened his eyes to see a pair of sparkling blue ones looking down at him. “Hey,” came a soft soothing voice.


“Hey,” Brian replied. “Was I out long?” Brian asked with an accompanying sigh. He used to be able to work all day long and deep into the night. Come home, change and then go to Babylon for several more hours. He could drink, have a little ‘E’ then fuck his way through the club. Then he’d go home and start the process all over again; now it was cooking, checking homework and after dinner naps.


“Not long,” Justin replied as he straddled Brian’s lap.


“You’re married to an old man,” Brian murmured, his smiling face suddenly transformed into a frown.


“No, I’m not. Just because you don’t have a finished painting or a fifty story building to point at by the end of the day doesn’t mean you don’t work hard. You’re allowed to have a nap now and then. I know first hand what a stressful job you have. There are a lot of people counting on you, Brian. They look up to you and your expertise. Because of you, Kinnetik and all its branches employ a lot of people. Don’t think for a moment I don’t recognize that,” Justin stated sincerely as he held Brian’s face in his hands.


“What did I ever do to deserve you?” Brian whispered as his hands traveled up Justin’s back under his shirt, caressing the smooth skin.


“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe it’s that nine inch dick of yours that very rarely gets soft,” Justin teased as he wiggled his ass. The dick in question gave a little twitch in response. “See?!” Justin smiled then leaned down to kiss Brian. “I love you so much.”


The lovers kissed. Brian wrapped his arms around Justin who nestled into the embrace. This was a very ‘real’ moment for Brian. After dinner naps and their connotations be damned. Brian was where he wanted to be, the man he loved more than life itself was in his arms and loving him back. Brian was surrounded by the family he never thought he ever deserved and yet the gods had deemed him worthy of them. Maybe it was worth sticking around for fifty years and beyond. And by the reaction in his nether region, his dick seemed to agree.


“Come on, old man, I can use some of the stud’s loving,” Justin teased as he bucked against Brian’s lap. Brian appeared to be studying the younger man’s face. Little had changed over twenty years. Genetics and clean living kept Justin’s youthful look but Brian could see the subtle differences. To Brian, they just made Justin more beautiful.


“The stud’s pre-occupied at the moment. How about the bossy bottom showing his partner what a wonderful top he really is?” Brian said, his hazel eyes deepening to almost a hunter green.


“Yeah?” Justin whispered, not willing to disrupt the moment.


“Yes,” Brian whispered back with a peck to Justin’s nose then with a deeper more sensuous kiss. Justin shook his head to clear it then led his spouse into their room.


 


*****

 



For the next few days Brian was working at Part Deux, Kinnetik’s office in Harrisburg. With his mind on work he began to forget about his birthday, “un” or otherwise and about his two “un-gifts.”


“Hi, Brian,” Bobby greeted his brother-in-law as Bobby was shown into Brian’s office by an administrative assistant.


“Hi. What brings you to my humble establishment?” Brian asked the dashing red-head who was looking very lawyer-like.


“I heard you were spending some time here in my neck of the woods and I thought I’d take you to lunch. We don’t often get to meet like this.”


“I agree and I’d love to join you for lunch.” Brian shut down his computer then stood to don his sport coat when he noticed a small decorative bag hanging from Bobby’s hand. “Um, since when did you exchange your briefcase for a gift bag?” Brian asked pensively.


“Oh this? I almost forgot I had it in my hand. This was delivered to my office this morning. I’m sorry but I opened it without thinking,” Bobby said as he handed the small bag to Brian. The one eyebrow was already arched to the fullest and Brian let out a sigh. “What’s wrong?” Bobby asked.


“This is not the first mysterious package I’ve received recently,” Brian started to explain as he set the bag on his desk then gingerly peered inside. The gift box itself wasn’t open. “I thought you said you opened it?”


“Just the outer package. Once I saw the label on the bow, I stopped myself. And what do you mean by mysterious packages? I figured you bought a surprise gift for Justin or Bree and didn’t want to have it delivered to the cottage. Although I did find it strange that you hadn’t said anything to me.”


“One was delivered to Kinnetik and the other was sent to Ben. He gave it to me when we went to lunch the other day.”


“What was in them? Or shouldn’t I ask.”


“Just silly nonsense, labeled as “un-gifts” for my birthday. But I haven’t a clue as to the sender.”


“Nothing malicious?”


“No, nothing like that,” Brian stared at the small narrow box.


“Are you going to open it?”


“Yeah, I guess so,” he said as he took the box from the bag. Brian opened the neatly wrapped package, revealing an elegant pen and pencil set.


 


Some say that the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say your sword has never been sharper. Use your new weapons whenever you’re feeling a little limp.

Looking out for you as you age gracefully!

 

“They’re lovely,” Bobby commented as he peered over Brian’s shoulder to look at the set.


“Yes, they are.”


“And you have no idea who’s sending you the gifts?”

 

“No, but they’re all very clever.” Brian snapped the box shut then put everything back into the bag. “Lunch!” he declared then led Bobby out of his office.