- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Third times the charm. No more, Margaret. ;o)

It Don't Matter to Me 3



"Brian, it's Friday."


"I know." Brian came home early, debating whether to face the masses at Debbie's or risk her wrath by staying home with his lover. He was leaning towards the latter.


"You going to answer the summons?" Big blue eyes narrowed a bit.


"They left me little choice."


"That's bullshit and you know it. You don't owe them anything. If anything, they owe you!"


"That's not true, Sunshine. I do owe them something, at least Debbie and Michael."


"How can you say that? Look what they put you through. For years they've been passing judgment, trying to make you live up to what they expect of you. Did they ever ask you what you wanted, what you expect? Why torture yourself?"


"Justin, it's so hard to explain."


"Try Brian, I really need to know."


"Lay down with me and I'll try." The lovers cuddled together on the sofa.


*****


"Justin, you know how it was. You know that Debbie tried to be a mother to me when my own gave me up for dead or to burn in Hell. And Michael, he's like the brother I never had."


"Or wanted."


"Or wanted but I can't just abandon them. I do love them."


"I'd never ask you to abandon them. But you can't drop everything for them or continue to hide from them. And Brian, that was so long ago. You're not the same man; you haven't been for years. It's like they have nothing better to do with their lives but scrutinize yours when they become bored."


"That's not fair, Justin. Teddy doesn't do that. In some strange way, he's become my closest friend, besides you, of course. He doesn't expect me to behave in any other way other than as Brian Kinney, head of Kinnetik. I'm pretty sure Ted knows about you, he's my accountant, for fuck sake. He sees all my receipts, especially when I'm in New York. He's not stupid. Emmett takes his cue from Ted. And Ben, he just minds his own business."


"You're right. But I still don't understand Michael. Why does he have this need to keep you in the past? You're not the whore of Liberty Avenue anymore. Not that you couldn't be if you really wanted to be. But you're so beyond that. Why can't he see that?"


"I have no idea. Maybe it makes him feel more important to believe that he's all grown up and I'm not. The reason doesn't really matter. And before you ask or give me the eyebrow, no, I have no intention of being the whore of Liberty again. Let someone else have that pleasure. Besides, I've done all the good ones. It's pitiful out there, ya know?"


"Asshole." Justin gave Brian a little poke in the ribs.


"Yes, but I'm your asshole."


"Are you?"


"Am I what?" Brian squirmed around so that they were eye to eye.


"My asshole. Mine, nobody else's. Are you ready for that? Do you think we're both ready for that?"


"Yes, I do. Justin, it's time. I did the slut thing; you did the pie-eyed twink thing. I've built my empire, so to speak, even conquered New York and so did you. We deserve this time together. It is our time."


"But it still doesn't solve the immediate problem. What are you going to do about the summons? If you don't show up, they'll be over here in a New York minute. And I have no intention of hiding in the closet." Justin exhaled trying to shake off the tension.


"And I wouldn't want you to. No more hiding, Sunshine. It doesn't matter what they think. What's important is what we think."


"And what do you think?"


"I think we should stay right where we are. Let them find me with you in my arms, just like this."


"But we're not even naked."


"No, and we don't have to be. It'll be just as shocking, more since they expect me to be fucking."


They were quiet for a moment, snuggling closer, mulling over their plans.


"Bri?"


"Hmm?"


"The house."


"What about it?"


"You meant that as a wedding gift."


"And in a way, it still is. Your name is on the deed along with mine. You're reaping half the profits."


"You're kidding."


"Surprise! You're rich."


"I'm already rich."


"Now you're richer."


"I don't need the money."


"I can see that. Damn, Sunshine, who does your clothes?" Brian was truly impressed.


"Stop it, Bri. Where's the money?"


"In a special account, it's yours to do with what you will. Give it away, spend it, burn it, whatever you want."



"I think I'll spend it on you."


"Me? Why? I don't need anything."


"Besides me, you mean. And I know you don't need anything, but I want to give you something."


"You've given me all that I want, Sunshine. All that I need in one sunny blond package. With you by my side I don't need anything else."


"Brian, I love you, you know."


"Yeah, I know."


*****


"Michael, give me the fucking key." Debbie grabbed Michael's spare key to the loft out of his hand.


"Ma, this isn't a good idea."


"Why not? We gave him a chance. It's not my fault he doesn't pick up the fucking phone."


"But what if he's doing something."


"You mean doing someone. Well who the fuck cares, it's not like we haven't seen it all before."


"Ma!"


"Michael, go home. Something's not right with Brian and I need to know he's okay. He's...I love him, Michael. Just like I love you. Now go home to Ben, he's probably getting worried."


"Okay, Ma."


*****


"Brian? Honey, are you home? Bri... Holy shit!" Debbie quietly crept into the loft. There on the sofa were her two most favorite boys, locked in an embrace as they slept. Debbie covered them with a throw then crept back out, locking the door behind her.


*****


"Ma, everything okay?"


"Michael, sweetheart, I thought I told you to go home."


"I figured I'd wait to see if you needed a ride home. Is Brian all right?"


"He's fine, baby."


"Was he with someone?"


"You could say that."


"Anybody we know?"


"It doesn't matter; he's in good hands."


"You're sure we shouldn't go back in there."


"No, Michael, they're sleeping. We shouldn't disturb them."


"So what's he look like?"


"Like a little ray of Sunshine!"

 

fini