- Text Size +

It Don't Matter to Me - Epilogue


"Brian, phone!" Justin stood with the phone in his hand. Brian was struggling to get their suitcases off the elevator. "It's Debbie," Justin shouted through the door.


"How the fuck does that woman know we just got home?" Brian groused, trying to catch his breath. "She must have this place bugged."


"You want me to tell her you'll call her back?" Justin had his hand covering the phone and looked very apologetic for picking up the call in the first place.


"No, I'd rather face the music now. If I put her off, she'll only hunt us down." Justin nodded and handed Brian the phone.


"I'm just going to check the studio," Justin murmured with a little kiss to Brian's cheek. He picked up the studio keys off a hook near the door and went out. Brian took a deep breath then raised the phone to his ear.


"Didn't waste much time tracking us down, did you, Deb," Brian snarked into the phone.


"Don't you get snippy with me, young man. I can read a flight itinerary as well as anyone else." Debbie heard the long suffering sigh and then continued. "You and Sunshine have a good time?"


"Yes, we did, a very good time."


"Are you going right back to work?"


"No. Justin's show is moving to another gallery in a few days. We thought it would be good for him to go and mingle. I'll check in with Cynthia and Ted but if everything is under control..."


"As I'm sure it is."


"I'll accompany Justin."


"Good for you, Honey! When do you leave?"


"In a week."


"Fan-fucking-tastic! That means you'll be here for Sunday night's dinner." Debbie snickered as she heard the groaning and grumbling. "Brian, sweetheart, I haven't seen the two of you in ages. Please come."


"But what if Mich..."


"Brian, I love Michael, you know that, but I love you and Justin just as much. You're my boys too. And Brian, I'm issuing the invitation. I won't tolerate rudeness or disrespect from anyone in my home. I love him but I'll kick his ass if he says something bad about you or Justin."


Debbie paused to let that sink into the stubborn man. "Well?"


"Let me run it by the blond brat and I'll get back to you."


"You do that honey and I'll see you on Sunday. Goodnight, Brian, and give Sunshine a kiss for me."


"I will. Night, Deb."


Justin walked through the loft door and stood by their bags. He looked down at the pile on the floor and then across the room to the bedroom.


"Leave them," Brian sensed what Justin was thinking. "Just lock up the loft, set the alarm and unplug the phone. All I want is a shower then to go to sleep in my own bed." Justin couldn't have agreed more. They locked up the loft and went into the bedroom.


*****


"Brian, staring at the door won't get us in there." They had pulled up in front of Debbie's house and parked. Brian appeared to be in a great debate with himself whether to get out of the car or turn around and go back home.


"I guess we could go home," Brian commented. Justin shrugged. "But then that would be the coward's way out." Justin nodded. "I'm no coward." Justin rewarded his brave man with one of his brilliant smiles and heart pumping kisses. They got out of the car.


"Well look who decided to grace us with his presence!" Debbie said loudly as Brian opened the door and walked in. Everyone was up and smiling, offering their greetings, including Michael, that is until he saw Justin. Brian stepped aside to allow Justin in the house.


"Sunshine! Oh, Sunshine, you are a sight for sore eyes. Oh baby, and just as beautiful as ever." Debbie kissed Justin, smearing lipstick all over his face and then gave him one of her huge bear hugs.


"And you!" Debbie set her sights on Brian. "Come here." She drew Brian into her arms for a hug and a kiss, then she cuffed him behind the ears. "About time you came to dinner and brought our little Sunshine. Now go and sit. Everything's on the table."


"Aw, Maw!" Brian groused as he rubbed his ear. He nodded a greeting to everyone then led Justin to their seats. Brian ignored the cold shoulder he was getting from Michael.


"Sooo, how was the cruise? And don't leave out any details," Emmett addressed Brian. He was very curious about their cruise to Alaska. Everyone was passing around Debbie's masterpieces as they all chatted.


"Who takes a cruise in the winter and to some place freezing? That's just stupid," Michael groused from across the table.


Everyone ignored the comment. Ben looked embarrassed.


"It was very relaxing," Brian answered. Justin and Ted seemed to be deep in quiet conversation. Emmett nodded. It was obvious that both Brian and Justin looked healthier than when they left for the cruise. Both had looked pale, pasty and dropped a few pounds prior to their trip.


"If we ever went on a cruise, it'd be to someplace warm so I can get a tan." Michael appeared to be having a conversation all to himself.


"Did you get to see anything besides the inside of your stateroom?" Debbie asked. Her question wasn't as sarcastic as it seemed. Most of the people sitting at the table knew the purpose of the vacation was to get Brian and Justin away from work. Justin's latest show was huge and exhausting. Brian was equally worn out by Kinnetik. They both needed the time to recuperate.


"Sure we did...three days after we embarked," Brian snarked and with a waggle of his eyebrows. The table snickered. What he really meant was that they slept for the first three days of their trip. They literally did not leave their room, opting to take their meals in their room whenever possible. Even the ship's physician paid them a visit. A little birdie by the name of Ted Schmidt, CFO of Kinnetik, had let the cruise line know that the president and owner of his company and his companion, the famous artist, Justin Taylor, were on board. The protective arms of the family were long reaching. The result? Two well rested, healthy men who were very much in love.


"We did get to see a pod of whales. They seemed to flank the ship," Justin gushed. He had stood by the rail with his sketch pad trying to capture as much as he could while Brian took pictures.


"Who gives a shit about a bunch of big fish," Michael grumbled under his breath.


"Was it really that cold? Did the coats help?" Emmett had suggested they go shopping to purchase full length fur coats for their voyage. Justin opted for fake fur, Brian conceded but only after he took them to a well known furrier to purchase the best fakes on the market. The air was frigid but the sun was blazing. Wrapped up in their furs and blankets, Brian and Justin spent many afternoons resting on deck chairs.


Dinner went on pleasantly. Justin did his best to answer the family's questions about their trip. Throughout the meal, Justin very wisely and diplomatically steered the conversation from themselves to the others at the table. He was very successful at getting mostly everyone involved. Debbie made it a point to pile the food high on everyone's plate. She gave the evil eye to Brian when he began to push the food around and not eat it. And, of course, Debbie had plenty of care packages all wrapped for the boys to take home.


All in all, the family had a great time. The rift between Brian and Michael laid unmentioned and ignored. This was one thing that Brian couldn't fix. It was best to let it be.


Just after dessert was served and before the massive clean up, Michael and Ben said their goodnights. With the tension now gone, Emmett and Debbie wanted to see the pictures of the trip. Justin happened to have some in his bag. Over coffee, the family enjoyed looking through them.


"Theodore," Brian began in his 'boss voice', as they gathered up the dirty dishes and brought them into the kitchen, "do I need to come into the office?"


"No, not unless you want a tour of an office at peak efficiency. Brian, you and Justin need this time away. Kinnetik will be here when you return. I promise."


"I think I just may keep you around, Schmidt," Brian snarked then patted his friend on the back. In Brian-speak, Teddy correctly translated Brian's statement as a 'thank you'.


With enough food to last them until they were away again, the lovers went home.


*****


"Brian, you made Debbie very happy tonight." The lovers were cuddled together on the sofa watching the evening news. "Everyone was happy to see us." Brian snorted at Justin's remark. "I'm sorry about Michael."


"It doesn't matter."


"It matters, Brian. You love him. It hurts that he can't do for you what you've always done for him. You've always stood by him, no matter what. I wish I could help."


"You do help. You're here with me. That's all the help I need."


"Brian, Michael was right about some things. I did leave you and it hurt."


"I hurt you too, Sunshine and you came back."


"But I won't have to come back anymore."


"Why's that?"


"Because I won't ever leave again. I don't have to. I found what I was searching for and his name is Brian Kinney."


"I'll always be here, Justin. You know that, don't you?"


"I know. So it doesn't really bother you about Michael?"


"It don't."

 

-the end-

The End.
Sabina is the author of 50 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked It Don't Matter to Me also liked 254 other stories.