- Text Size +

Pandemic

(Brian Kinney Finds his Heart)


“What do you mean you volunteered my services? Fuck, Justin, I am trying to keep my business running without being able to go to work.” Brian walked across the loft only wearing his favorite low-slung jeans.

Justin couldn’t take his eyes off him.  “Look at the bright side.  You get to work in the comfort of your home during the day so you should be able to help the neighborhood residents for an hour a day.” Justin walked across the loft to the window where Brian looked out on the nearly empty street. He slid his hand down Brian’s jawline and then rested on his chest. “Pleasssssse!” he stood on his tiptoes and kissed him.  “You know I really had no choice.  Debbie figured since my classes are all online now I should have plenty of time to help her out." He pressed himself against Brian's long, lean body. "I'll make it worth  your while."

"Justin I am not going to let her push me around like I'm still 14.  I mean...."

"Well fine, I'll do it alone but I'll need to borrow your car."

"You are not driving my car."

"Great!  Meet me at the diner at 5:15.  We need to be delivering by 5:30." Justin's hand now grazed the small of his back and drifted downward.  Since Babylon is closed I bet we can think of something to do to entertain ourselves when we get home. For just a second his fingers slipped under his waistband and his fingers felt the top of the cleft that ran downward. "See you in a couple hours," and he was gone.  

How had he let that blonde twink talk him into this.  Brian knew exactly why.  He was no ordinary blonde bombshell.  He realized he was watching him jog down the street in the direction of the diner.  "Why do I let myself get talked into these things?" he said out loud as he walked back to his desk and went back to the campaign he was working on.

"Where is he? Are you sure he is coming? If he doesn't show up here I will never make him another turkey on wheat no mayo." 

"He'll be here, Debbie.  He texted me letting me know he was on his way." Justin looked around the diner, "Who would have ever thought that in this day and age we would have a pandemic that would close down most of the world."

Debbie looked at her Sunshine, "You know if I was allowed I would come and hug you right now."

Justin smiled at her across the counter.  He knew how hard it was for her right now.  She couldn't spend time with Vic because he had to totally isolate and Michael and Ben were quarantined at their house with Hunter.  Ben had gotten a mild case of the virus but thankfully he was getting better every day. Because he was HIV positive Michael had been a basket case but Ben had been very healthy lately and had fought it off with minimum side effects but they still couldn't leave the house for at least a week.  "I hear Ben is feeling much better."

"He is, and Michael, well, he is the reason Ben did so well.  Michael never left his side."

Justin smiled.  He was glad Debbie wasn't his mother but Michael never had to worry about having his mom on his side.  Justin thought about his mom and realized he didn't anymore, either.  His mom was always there for him but she still smothered him a little more than he liked. He was pulled away from his thoughts when he heard a familiar sound and saw Brian pulling up. He picked up the prepared bags full of meals and headed to the door.  

"I will bring the bags back in the morning so we can use them again tomorrow."

"Thanks, Sunshine.  I know I can always count on you." Debbie stood in the door and waved until Brian acknowledged she was there. After securing the food in the small trunk Justin got in the car next to Brian.  

"So what now? I'm here.  I had to cut my meeting short because of this," Brian grumbled. 

"Well, all you need to do is drive us to the addresses written on this page and if you feel even a bit sociable at the last place, you could help.  It's an old tenement house. Debbie said it is basically a retirement home for people who can't afford a real retirement home.  She said it is mostly straight people but a few friends of Vic have recently moved in.  That's how she found out about it.  George is helping pay for the meals or some of these people would probably go hungry."

"Alright, alright.  I get the point.  We are lucky to have a fridge full of food and the ability to get around"

Brian watched Justin walk up to the first door.  Justin set the meal on the step and knocked on the door before retreating to the bottom of the steps. Brian saw an older woman tentatively open the door.  He couldn't hear what Justin said but she bent down and picked up the container and as Justin jogged back to the car, the woman threw him a kiss.

"Looks like you have a new fan.  What made her so happy" It couldn't be Debbie's Tuna and Noodles."

"She said she didn't know what she was going to eat for dinner tonight until she had gotten this.  Debbie threw extra bread and jelly packets in there so she would have some breakfast, too.

The next two stops worked similarly.  The third stop, Justin carried a bag of garbage to the road for the older man that had come to the door with a cane.  Justin used hand sanitizer he had in his pocket before he got back in the car. Brian leaned over and kissed him.

"What was that for?"

"You're a good man, Justin Taylor. I have never been a people pleaser and don't have any of that in my makeup but you might not need to please people but you know how to do it. " This time Justin leaned toward Brian and Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's neck as they kissed for a long moment.

Justin pulled away, "As much I was enjoying myself, we need to get the rest of this delivered. 

Brian pulled up to a large, rundown house.  "What a dump! I can't believe people actually live here." 

"Some people don't have a choice," Justin almost snapped.

 "Justin, I wasn't putting them down.  I ......do you know what we are supposed to do? Do we just leave it at the door?"

"No, Debbie said a nun would meet us here and keep her distance but tell us where to bring them."

 "Oh, great! Justin what I needed, a penguin that wants to rap my hands or more likely my dick with her ruler."

 "Bri, you didn't go to private school did you?"

 "Just a couple years when I was really young and my dad wasn't drunk most of the time.  Let's get this over with so we can go home. I seem to remember a promise to make this all worth my while."

 They walked hand in hand each caring a bag of meals.  Justin pushed the doorbell and an attractive young woman opened the door.

 "Excuse me, we are supposed to meet Sister Eve here"  Justin said politely.

 "I'm Sister Eve," she smiled at them.  "I am guessing Debbie sent you?  Debbie is quite a character but she has been so much help the last few days.  Even those that could afford groceries and maybe help to get them have been unable to find food for me to make the meals.  We kind of do communal living here.  They all pay what they can and with a little help from the church we do alright but now..." for the first time Eve's optimistic look faded.  "They just told me because people aren't coming to church, they can't help out as much this month.”

“Well, I am glad we can at least help out  with some meals,” Justin and Brian set the meals out. “Is there anything else…”

As Justin continued his sentence, Brian glanced up the open staircase.  He saw several doors open a few inches and faces peak out.  He saw one frail hand come out and wave.  Brian was pulled back to the conversation.

“I have kept you long enough.  Thank you, gentlemen.” 

Brian pulled out his wallet and laid his business card on the table.  “If there is anything else we can pick up for you tomorrow, please call me.  Justin  can easily pick up some things tomorrow.”

“No, really, but thanks for your kindness,” Eve said as Brian put his arm around Justin but then jerked his arm back.


“Oops, sorry.” 


“Sorry about what?  It is obvious you two care about each other.  Love is love.” Eve smiled gently at them. “We will see you tomorrow.”


Brian put his arm around Justin and they walked out together.  Justin noticed Brian was quiet on the way home. Justin put a dish in the oven and took Brian’s hand, “We have time for a shower.  Actually, we have time for a LONG shower.” He began to undo Brian’s pants.


Brian yanked him close and kissed him as he started to remove Justin’s shirt.  By the time they got under the stream of the water they were both fully erect.  Brian turned Justin around and pressed him against the glass stall.  As Brian thrust inward, Justin turned his head and Brian claimed his mouth.  Justin reached back and wrapped an arm around Brian’s neck. Justin climaxed as Brian did.


Half an hour later they  sat by the table eating vegetable lasagna.  “So you got really quiet after talking to Sister Eve.”  Justin said, reaching for Brian’s hand.


“Ya, well, I guess I could see how hard she was working to help those people.  I saw some of them in their rooms and I just felt like some of them were scared.  It was like they were trapped in that little world.”


“Well, I guess they sort of are.”  They continued to talk. Brian told Justin about his earlier meeting and Justin told him about his class projects. After they finished eating, they both sat down to do a little work.  Brian finished up some notes on his meeting and then looked over at Justin.  He was completely absorbed in his project.  Brian came up behind him and put an arm around his shoulders, leaning over to see his projects. 


“You always amaze me with your talent.  That is really amazing.”

Justin turned and kissed Brian, “Thanks.  This is my final project for my graphic design class.”

“Well, I have no doubt you’ll get an A.  Now, I seem to remember you saying you owed me?”

Justin saved the project and took Brian’s hand when he offered it.


The rest of the week Brian and Justin delivered the meals and Justin noticed each day Brian had something he just happened to find extra of.  He brought eggs and flour along with milk and syrup so they could have pancakes for breakfast. And every day he seemed to talk to a couple of the residents.  By the end of the week he knew all of their names and had learned a lot more about this old house.  There was a whole wing that could be used for activities once this was over but they would never have the money to fix it up.  On the second floor there was enough room for twice as many people but the repairs were just beyond Sister Eve’s dreams.  

Brian and Justin had brought extra groceries to everyone on their route on Friday knowing there would be no meal deliveries on the weekend.  

Brian and Justin were lying on the floor watching a movie on Saturday evening when Brian’s phone rang.  


Sister Eve’s voice was on the line.  “Brian, I hate to bother you but we have had a little problem here.  Our electricity  just went out.  The rest of the block has lights so it has to be something…”

“We’ll be right over.  I am afraid I’m not very handy but I know someone who can get us some help.  An hour later an electrician  arrived at the house and soon had the lights back on. Brian paid the electrician and they said goodbye to their new friends.  Brian walked around the side of the house looking from foundation to the roof.  “Brian, what are you thinking?”

“I’m thinking this house appears to be very sturdy. Other than the electrical, most of it is superficial. The plumbing has already been redone.  I don’t think it would be that hard to make this a self-sustaining charity, financially anyway. I think I might give Emmett and George a call tonight.  I don’t think I can swing it alone but if George will help we can get this place back to it’s early beauty.  And we can get one of those chairs for the steps so those that aren’t up to walking them won’t have to worry about having to find a new place to live.  They don’t want a lot, just security.”

“I know you don’t want to hear this but, I love you, Brian Kinney.” Justin kissed him and then just held him close for a few moments.  “Let’s go home.  We have a phone call to make.”


As the weeks went on Brian made plans with George.  Restrictions were finally lifted and Sister Eve and the residents invited Brian and Justin to dinner as a way to thank them.  They asked Sister Eve if they could bring a couple friends and of course she said that would be fine.

As George and Emmet and Brian and Justin sat around the large table in the activity room that looked so tattered and worn,with all the residents and Sister Eve,  Brian laid out the plan he had come up with and Emmett explained the options for the overall look.  As the plans fell into place Sister Eve, along with most of the residence, had tears running down their cheeks.

“Oh, gentlemen, we don’t know how to thank you.  A month ago I was sure I would have to close this place down and thanks to your daily kindness and now the generosity of your friend I shouldn’t have any of the fears I have had over the last couple years.

One by one the residents started to head to bed and soon Eve stood.  “I am afraid I need to give out medications before they start falling asleep.”

“You should be getting a call next week from the contractor who will be doing the work and Emmett will get with you to pick the design.  You have my number if you need anything in the meantime.”


George and Emmett had left and Brian and Justin cleared the table while Eve was with the residents.  By the time she came back Brian and Justin had the dishwasher loaded and the food put away.  “I really don’t know how to thank you.”

“Sister Eve, you do so much for these people.  I don’t know if I would have ever taken the time to really see them if I didn’t see them through your eyes,”  Brian said. “I don’t always take the time to think about others but this last month, well, thank you for helping me see what is really important. But, we will get out of your hair now.  I hope when this all gets done, you will be able to hire more help so you have more time to enjoy what you have built here.”  Brian and Justin said good night and headed for the door.

“Justin,” a soft voice from upstairs called down.

Justin glanced up, “Yes, Polly?”

“May I borrow your handsome friend for just a minute?”

“Sure you can, Polly. Go on Brian.  I’ll wait for you in the car.”

As Brian walked up the steps he remembered the first time he had met Polly.  She was the one that had waved at him that first night.  “Well, Polly, it’s been a while since I have been with a woman but…”

“Oh, Brian Kinney!” She swatted his arm. “I’m old enough to be your grandmother.  I just wanted to say thank you for everything you have done.  When this pandemic hit, I was sure I wouldn’t make it and was afraid many of my friends wouldn’t either but then we had not one but two handsome princes save us.  We are one of the kindest men I have ever met.”

Brian swallowed hard, “It was our pleasure, Polly.  I will be back soon.”  Brian walked out the front door and to the car.  He took a deep breath and tried to steady his breath as he wiped his eyes.

Justin took Brian’s hand as he drove them home. They were both silent until they lay naked in their bed, “What did Polly say to you?”

“She just thanked me.  Well, she thanked us.  Polly was sure that she was going to die until we started coming.  She said….” He took a deep breath, “She said I was the kindest man she had ever met.” Brian pulled Justin so close that he hoped to hide the tears threatening to spill out 

“Well, that doesn’t surprise me but I think Brian Kinney finally found his heart.


The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.