- Text Size +

CHAPTER 11 - SHOOTING THEN CALLING THE SHOTS


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME


MICHAEL


I toss my keys on the counter, then pull out a beer. “Once more she protects him!” I bitch. “I just don’t understand her affection for the cripple!” I drain the beer, then pull out another. “But the silver linings are the guys I’ve now met.” I’m about to do a bit of googling when I remember it was destroyed by Gus. “Another demerit!” I grumble before heading to the lounge to sort out my new phone.


BRITIN - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


I am struggling. What he is doing to my feet feels very good. I need a distraction. “How does he live off of it?”


“Who off what?” He stops, thank goodness, and looks up. “Oh, Michael? He has a broker that he utilises, and…”


“Do you know how much he won?” I ask, and he sits back with a frown. “Does Debs know?” I tug my feet out of his lap before putting my socks and trainers back on.


“Yes I do, it was about a quarter of a mil…” He looks disgruntled. “...although, I’m not sure why you want to discuss this now.” 


“Because, Debs has been nothing but good to us. Starting with Hunter and me, before spreading that good to the rest of the guys. So why hasn’t he supported her before?”


“Oh I see. He fancies you, sees this as a way to get closer, and he always gets the man he wants. Well, except one of course.”


I frown, then gape. “You’re kidding?!”


“In his mind, I am a constipated eunuch, who should be grateful for what little attention I get. However, this constipated eunuch has standards. My dick retreated behind my adenoids.”


“Ah so his resentment is also ego based? In that case, you most definitely need to speak to them both tomorrow. Lay down the law with this place. They don’t get in without your permission, and…”


“Why does it bother you?” 


“Because it does.” I assert.


“Not good enough.” He returns. “Why does it bother you?” 


“Debs has always lamented about how meanspirited he was to Wheelie…”


JUSTIN


He stops talking when I straddle him. “My knight in shining armour.” I murmur before licking his top lip. “Even when I didn’t know you.” I press a kiss against his ‘third eye’. Soon we are planting butterfly kisses against lips, eyes and throats. “Brian, do...do you want...can we go upstairs?” 


“We can, but tell me why.” He husks in my ear. 


“Because, I would rather...oh good God!” I shudder against him, feeling both relief and embarrassment at how quick that was to light my fire. 


“Uh...uh...freak me!” He groans into my neck, then drops his head on my shoulder. After about ten minutes he clears his throat. “So, a shower?” 


“And perhaps a change of underwear, or will you go commando?” I smirk.


“They’re silk, so yeah I’ll take a pair. You can keep mine, gives me another reason to visit.”


“Of course. But how do you know that?!” I get up at his tap to my butt, then he follows me into the bathroom.


“You’ve been down to your kecks twice in my presence, both times they’ve been silk, so I figure…”


“Kecks? Do you perchance mean boxers?” I tease before taking in the majesty of his chest as he takes off his top. 


“Yes I do.” He smiles before starting to snap open his jeans. “You gonna shower fully dressed, my suddenly shy Susan?” I roll my eyes and get down to my kecks, but as he leans inside the cubicle to turn on the water, I gasp. “Got thrown off and landed on barbed wire. I’m all healed.” I reach out and touch the faint scars down his back. “It could’ve been worse, luckily I was wearing a shirt. Normally I don’t when I horse ride.”


“How long ago was it?” 


“Six years.” He looks over his shoulder before fiddling some more with the taps. “Shall we?”


“Yes.” I reply.


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


That didn’t take as long as I thought. I’ve got a fully functioning phone, and have been speaking to Lindsay. Mel now has to work late tonight, so I am going over, but before I go, I want to check my portfolio. It’s looking very healthy, but it is still not enough. To be honest, I will never be able to match him for wealth, but with what I have in mind, I can’t wait until I can call some shots where that kid is concerned! 


BRIAN’S CAR - NINETY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Hunter is conked out along the back seat. Whilst we were in the shower, they decided to go for another hike. Gus wanted to map the route properly. As we were leaving, I saw that the pond was nicely full. I would’ve noticed as we came in, but I was too busy butt watching. I jump at the horn honking because the light changed in the middle of my day dream. Waving my apologies, I head towards home. 


LOUNGE - FORTY MINUTES LATER


The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. Reaching for the phone, I dial his number. He sounds in good spirits as he picks up. “Hey, you still bored?” 


“Well, my Amazon boxsets have arrived, so I have them to go through. Why?”


“Why not just download them? The…”


“Clutterfication that the DVDs cause in my home is my business, young pup.” Elliott interrupts, making me chuckle at the nickname.


“Speaking of…”


“We’ve just come back from our walk. All working parts are in order, including my faculties, what’s occurring?”


“You know Debs? Well, it’s her son, Michael…”


“Oh, you finally met him? And judging by the tone, you’re not impressed?” 


“Not at all.” I shuffle upright, enjoying the feel of his silk against my skin. “He won some money on the lottery just after college.”


“So Michael’s surname is Grassi, correct?” Elliott asks. I smile at the sound of the pencil on the notepad; he is so old school. 


“No, it’s Novotny. Just a little light digging, a win like that to someone that young would’ve made a ripple.” 


“So is that it? Or do I have to make like the dentist in Marathon Man and start pulling teeth?” 


“Been talking to Ems?” I laugh as I head to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of red. “What did he tell you thus far?”


“Actually it was Ted, not Ems. You know how Ems gets where you are concerned. As for what, not much. Just said you lit up on sight of the blonde, which is very unusual for you.”


BRITIN - NEXT MORNING


BACK PADDOCKS


JUSTIN


I’m sitting on the bank, having, unlike Michael, checked for poop first. It is so warm today, the water rippling over my feet feels great. The sounds are so calming. I am remembering yesterday, and as I’m getting to the good part that voice pops my bubble.


“Justin! Are you alright?!” Lindsay shouts, striding towards me with her ‘bestie’ trailing behind.


“Fine, why?” I drop my sunglasses back down. 


“We’ve been calling you for ages! It’s such a gorgeous day, isn’t it? Let’s go inside…” She flaps her tee. “...it’s much too hot to be sitting outside right now. You’re going to burn terribly, what with your…” 


“I have sunblock on, thanks.” I discreetly check my phone...just as I thought, no response from her.


“Oh, that’s something I guess.” Michael looks up and down the bank. “Has the barn been sorted out now?”


“Nope. Mr Foreman, that is for you and Ethan to sort out when he returns, then Debs will move her sanctuary up here.” I lie back and enjoy the warmth on my face.


“I see. Well, can we go inside and discuss this, as…”


“Nope. I want to watch the otters and take in some much needed Vitamin D, so unless there is something else, bye.” And with that, I spring up and stride towards ‘Taylor Waterfall’ using the route that Gus emailed me, only looking behind me when it comes to the bend. They are no longer at the river bank, but just to be on the safe side, I place a call. Five minutes later, there are at least four guards on patrol. I watch the otters, wishing I had something to draw with. “Oh, how cute are they?!” I sigh as more heads pop up. But as I said to the idiot, I have places to be. I am determined to make it at least half way today.  


Gus had told me that there was a ‘green bank plateau’, as I take in the vista of the lush thigh high grass, my mind goes straight to Zeus and how he would love this. It takes everything not to flop down and make ‘grass angels’! I ensure the security of my rucksack before taking out my picnic. I sigh happily as I watch my estate ‘move’ beneath my eyes. Pulling off my boots and socks, I plunge my feet into the water, wiggling my toes as the ripples pass over them. For a few minutes, the feeling is great, then it isn’t. I wish...I wish Brian was here, but he’s not. Sighing, I decide to head back home. No doubt, they will have camped out somewhere nearby, to ambush me. I am drying my foot when the ground beneath me gives way, and I plunge into the icy depths.


I flail around, trying to get my bearings and not to panic, you must not panic, then I see, in the clear bright water I see that I can stand up, it’s not that deep. Slowly, I right myself, then cough up the water. I am about to make my way to the bank when I hear a chirrup so turn around. Swimming towards me are three otters, one who looks a little familiar.


A couple of hours later, I am humming as I walk back to the house. My picnic has been decimated, two of the reasons why are swimming alongside; the third is on top of my pack, fast asleep, I had nothing to do with his current positioning, he did that himself. As I approach the barns, I gently put it down then stroke the back of his neck. He lifts his head and looks around. “I need to go inside now.” He yawns widely, then stretches before slinking back into the water.


MAYA


They made three circuits around the gardens before finally sitting in the garage. As I step out the front door to go to speak to Raven, two things happen. The main one is that Justin comes back from his jaunt. He times it perfectly with the arrival of Nancy, Ronald, Mel, Gus and Debs.


“Justin!” Lindsay coos as if she wasn’t a gruesome gorgon earlier; she seems to forget how her voice carries and how close my cottage is. “Did you enjoy your walk?”


“It was great!” He dumps his pack on the floor. “Hi, Gus!” As usual he comes first. “Thank you for the map, now take this inside…” He hands him his phone. “...there’s a surprise for you. It’s a studio one.”


“Neat! You coming, Grampies?” Gus calls from the door. The collective name for Ronald, Nancy and Debs never fails to make me smile. “Sounds like something you need to see!”


“They’ll be there in a bit. Go set up the projector for them.” Justin smiles.


“We’ll help!” Michael asserts, but Justin blocks their path. “What are you doing?” His sharp tone renders the garden quiet. 


JUSTIN


“I want everyone to listen but especially you two to listen.” I roll my shoulders. “First, thanks to all who have helped me during this time, but from this point on, I’m the person that people come to if they want anything to do with my home or Gus, whilst he is staying here. I shall be changing the locks, only a select few will be getting keys and codes. So Lindsay, Michael, whilst...” 


“What is that supposed to mean?” Lindsay interrupts, whilst her fellow moocher looks incredulous..


“Today is not the day for you to be in my home, so goodbye until I say you can be. You can troll, I mean stroll, the grounds with impunity, I will ensure the guards don’t think you are trespassing and have you arrested...”


“I want to see my son!” She shrieks. “You can’t keep him from me!” 


“If you wanted to see our son so badly; why didn't you go to your parents, Lindsay?”


“Why should she go there?” Michael demands.


“Because that’s where he said he would be.” Debs growls. “He sent messages to the family group chat.”


“Let me check your phone Lindsay, perhaps there’s a malfunction?” I hold out my hand leaving her no choice but to comply, she is pink cheeked as she hands it over, I take my time scrolling through. “There you go, see, at 1847 last night, he said that he was going to check if he could go over and this morning at 0749, he said he was going to take the bus over, stopping in the diner for breakfast first.” I hand it back. “I would put…”


“I should be in that chat.” Michael's declaration has my hackles rising, but I must remain calm. “I’m his Uncle and would’ve seen this earlier…”


“I’m an only child and Lindsay has a sister. Ergo, uncle in any sense you are not.” I scoff. “So what’s it going to be, wait for us to finish having a nice family day inside whilst you wait outside or I call you a cab? And since Maya doesn’t run a take out service, it would be best to pick the option that will also get you fed.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thx