- Text Size +

CHAPTER 13 - NAMING, SHADING AND EXPLAINING


BACK OF BRIAN AND HUNTER’S HOUSE 


JUSTIN


“Grass angels!” Brian flops down then swishes his arms and legs, I join him taking in the joy of such a simple thing. I sit up and look around, the grass is way above my head. “Because I don’t want to, I like to hide in nature, which is why I don’t cut it. Does that answer your question?”


“You’re a mind reader now?” I query.


He chuckles. “We also have marshes up there. Hunter and I like to fish then cook what we catch. But the best thing about this place, is that we have racoons.”


“Aren’t they a pest?” I frown. 


“Depends. If you treat them like a pest, then they’re a pest, but if you…” He whistles, for a few minutes nothing happens, then one settles by his side, my jaw drops. “...treat them kindly, you can reach an accord. Hand me the tub, nice slow movements.” I comply. “This is Milo. Milo loves a nut and egg salad with asparagus, red chard and lambs lettuce. She’ll stomp off in a sulk if I’ve not put in enough of the lambs lettuce.” I watch incredulously as ‘Milo’ waits for him to empty it out, slowly she investigates, before delicately nibbling on a leaf then a nut, then rests her head on his stomach. “Not sure how old she is, but we’ve been friends for the last couple of years.”


“Can you keep her there?” I whisper.


“Not really. She’s a wild animal after all. Why?”


“I want to draw you two.” I reply. Soon the only sound is the scritch-scratch of my pencil. I’ve forgotten how much pleasure I got from just ‘doodling’ as I heard Lindsay once describe it. I bridle on the inside as that ‘doodling’ has got her a life she doesn’t deserve! I clear my head and focus, whilst Brian sky watches. 


“What’s she doing?” I whisper as Milo gets up spreads the food further around, all he does is smile, then she toddles off. “Where’s she going?” I ask.


“Why don’t you go find out?” 


I follow her.


FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


I chew on a lettuce leaf, knowing that they will be back. I put my tee behind my head. It doesn’t take long for his, albeit quiet, exclamation. 


“Oh Milo! They are so cute!” 


“That they are.” I murmur, slipping my sunglasses back down. Less than five minutes later Milo leads him and her family back to our spot.


“You swine.” He chides as Milo curls up on my stomach so she can watch her brood decimate the salad.


“How am I a swine?” I lift my glasses with a smirk. 


“Don’t even.” He resumes sketching. 


“What are we going to call them? You know, since this was the purpose of our walk.” But he is focused on his pad. “Maybe ‘cock and balls'? Or maybe 'spit and polish'?” 


“I know what you’re doing. Let me finish this, then we talk.”


“Fine.”


HALF AN HOUR LATER 


Milo and her family have gone; but he is still sketching. “Can I move now?” 


JUSTIN


“Yes.” I look enviously at his tanned skin; he smirks. “Okay mind reader, what am I thinking?”


“Not mind reading, it’s this.” He tugs at my long sleeved tee. “Judging by this you burn easily.” He sits up on his elbows. “Do you have sunscreen?”


“Am not sure. Mel packed, we just ran the moment we got your message.” I explain whilst trying not to squirm as he gently strokes my stomach. “I can…”


“Come, let me be your sunshade for a while…” He turns on his side, patting the space underneath. Quickly, shucking off my top I lie down. “...and we can discuss names.” 


“Ariel is Gus’s favourite Disney character, can we have that? Then Hunter can name the boy?”


“Oh, that’s easy. Stitch.” He smiles. “Now that that's sorted out, does Gus like disco fries?”


“Disco fries? What are they? Heard of disco biscuits, obviously.” I stroke his chest, enjoying the puckering of his nipple, he makes circles around my belly button. 


“Obviously. They are these. Hunter does a really good one with pulled pork.” He hands me his phone. “We’re also having mandoo, they’re Korean dumplings. I do a great one with chicken, but tonight’s with beef. Such gorgeous balls of plumptiousness. Reminds me of something, or someone who has two gorgeous balls of plumptiousness attached to their person.”


“You should be in advertising…” I drop his phone between us and wind my fingers through his hair. “...you have a great way with words Floga. But we need to get back.”


“You’re right.” He helps me get redressed then to my feet. “But after dinner, get ready to pucker up.”


“Have lip balm will pucker!” I smile. “You know just like your nipple did.”


“And if you’re very lucky, I might drink some wine out of that seemingly sensitive button of yours.”


MEL AND LINDSEY'S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


KITCHEN


LINDSAY


I set up the tray whilst waiting for Mel to stop speaking to Gus, I can hear his laughter and excitement. “Ask him when he’s coming back?” I order, just as Michael comes in. “Mel?!” I snap as she hangs up having ignored my command.


“He's with his Dad and new friend H. They are getting to know Ariel and Stitch. I made sure to pack his homework, if that is your concern…”


“Amongst other things. Why didn’t you ask my question?”


“Because it’s Sunday, he always spends Sunday with his Dad, remember? Now why was Michael sleeping on the sofa? He has a perfectly appointed, for want of a better word, ‘lair’, and millions in the bank?”


Both of us go still. “What do you mean by millions in the bank?” Michael feigns confusion. “I don’t have that much money.”


“Funny, you’ve had this money since just out of your teens, but here you are in your early thirties, not working, but living high on that hog, so you have some of it left, and it must be a considerable amount.” Mel takes her mug off of the tray. “Now listen up, in reality the true parents to Gus are Justin and I, but according to the court papers, there are three, with three legal guardians as back up. I have no intention of making it four!”


“What do you mean? Who’s the third? Why wasn’t I told?!” I demand.


“I didn’t think that Justin and his parents got along. Why would you put either of them in charge of his future welfare?” Michael thinks he’s being imperious but, as usual, he's punchable!


“I didn’t. It’s Debs, of course. She, like Nancy and Ronald, only thinks of the welfare of Gus. Gosh, the badgering it took, but we finally got her to sign the watertight and ironclad POA Justin set in place. Which means that you, Michael, will have to spend a pretty penny trying to get anywhere near my son’s ‘welfare’. But if you want to try, be my guest. However, in your path are more roadblocks, set up by an attorney with a desiccated uterus and an axe to grind!”


BRIAN AND HUNTER’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


BRIAN’S ROOM


JUSTIN


We sip our lattes in silence. This is so good! After dinner of disco fries and mandoo, we all watched a movie. Then it was just the two of us.


“She taught me. Couldn’t cook to save my life, none of us could, but Cyn hauled us all into the kitchen and said 'you will learn'!”


“Can you teach Mel? By her own admission, she’s terrible. Maya has tried, but she only has so much patience!” 


“So last night Moro, did it bother you that we didn’t fool around?”


“Wow, you know how to change a subject! But no, it doesn’t. I liked getting to know more about you.”


“Me too.” 


“I know it sounds weird, but it’s been such a rollercoaster. Such an intensity of feelings, and with Gus and Hunter becoming fast friends, I…”


“Me neither. It will happen when it happens.” He takes my mug. “You in a rush to get back?” I shake my head. “Then you can go back to sleep if you want. Unless you want to go...okay, going to see our babies it is!” He laughs as I leap out of bed.




Pulled pork disco fries: https://foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/korean-disco-fries-and-pulled-pork/

Mandoo: https://www.thespruceeats.com/korean-dumpling-mandoo-2118676

Latte: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/latte

 

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx.