- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

WARNING: Brain bleach rmay be recommended for the end of chapter

CHAPTER 16 - HOMES, PHONES, BRIDGES AND PREPARING FOR BATTTLE


ELLIOTT’S COTTAGE - AN HOUR LATER


DINING ROOM


JUSTIN


I’m trying so hard not to drool, but for crying out loud, look at that spread. I feel a gentle dig in my side and look at Brian, who nods at Elliott, specifically the hand he is holding out with a smile.


“So sorry!” I say as I shake it. “But that looks incredible, what’s the meat?”


“Confit lamb.” He smiles. “And for dessert, a savoury granita to cleanse the palette of all that richness of duck fat fries and confit of lamb, which also has duck fat. Now please take a seat.” 


ELLIOTT


He has not taken his eyes off the food. When Brian asked me to dig on her son, I was more intrigued by Justin, so blood hounded my way around him first, and found out a couple of things that are gonna get them bonded tighter than a snare trap! Not having heard the groans, moans, yelps and the like, they’re not there already!


“Whistler.” Brian smiles as he comes in.


“Oh what a beauty!” Justin declares, before immediately pulling off some lamb to give to him then sitting at his level. “You want more?” He laughs as the tail does an impression of a windmill in a ten force gale. “Brian…”


“No more after this.” Brian declares, joining him on the floor. “Okay, maybe a couple of fries, but that is it!”


“Boys, have a seat.” I order. They scramble up, and, as usual, Whistler waits for Brian to get settled before he takes his place by the aga knowing that he will be getting more scraps later.


I start to serve whilst affecting a look of confusion. “What is nose, oyster and cheese toasties, Justin?” 


“Where did you hear about that?” He blinks.


“From Hunter; well, from Gus who told him, said it’s a once a month treat and apparently it is happening this weekend. So it is what?”


“Well, it’s from the roast chicken and an exercise in patience. The fatty bits, which everyone discards, the fools, so it’s the parson’s nose, crispy skin from the back of the chicken. It has to be crispy, and those two oyster nuggets, finely chopped, mixed with a mild cheese, your choice of which. Add that on top of a slice of bread that has been frying in butter, but is not quite crisp. Put the skillet under the grill, keep an eye on it, you want it to be bubbling before you add the other slice of bread, which has smoked cheese grated on top. Once that’s melted and dripping down, take it out and let it cool a bit before eating. It’s quite rich, so we have it with a salad when it’s summer or with a light broth when it is autumn or winter.”


“That sounds so decadent.” Brian sighs. 


“It is a bit, hence it’s only once a month and…”


“Can you get Maya to send me the recipe, Daph would...” Brian interjects.


“No, she doesn’t cook that. I do and that was the recipe, it’s one of Gus’s favourites.”


“You cook?” I ‘look surprised’.


“Yes…” He looks shy. “...she only cooks when there are more than the three of us. Normally I cook.”


Bingo!


“Wait, how did you cook if you were confined to your bed?” Brian asks, and Justin goes, for want of a better word, magenta. “You don’t…”


“That's why my room was locked most of the time. I was preparing dinner, on the other side of the lift is a small room, I do my prep in there. Then Mel and Gus would cook it; but never that, I always cook that for them.”


“What time and day...” Brian takes a fry off of his plate with a smile. “...are we coming for dinner?”


“How about six on Saturday?”


“Perfect.” I reply on his behalf. “Now before we start, have taken the liberty of asking Ben to remove the camera from your room whilst we eat.” I enjoy their embarrassment. “Speaking of which, let’s do that.”


BRIAN AND HUNTER’S HOUSE - LATE EVENING


BRIAN’S ROOM


JUSTIN


Well, after that veritable feast, we’re both sipping on peppermint tea and waiting for the ‘fullness’ to abate. “So, we’re sending the boys back here after dinner and opening up my box back at mine?” Brian peers over his mug at me, his eyes are still a little cloudy. “You wouldn’t appreciate me opening up your ‘box’…” I stroke his thigh. “...tonight.”


“Hmm, definitely not.” He finishes his tea, then lies down. “You almost done? Need a warm nubile body to sooth me from the outside.”


“And who am I to refuse you that?” I reply, draining my mug and curling into his arms. 


OUTSIDE BRITIN - MID MORNING 


BACK GARDEN


ETHAN


I can hear music, which surprises me. I head to the source, my surprise is joined by annoyance. “So this is where you are.” I call out to Michael. “What are you doing here?” 


“As I said, on my break….” When I check my watch he frowns. “...are you and I alright? You seem to be off with me.”


“Why wouldn’t we be? You’ve not been upsetting anyone, have you?” 


“Like who?” I look to see what has him transfixed; it's Justin in the basement gym, he’s dancing. He’s not done that in years. It’s how he and Mel met; in a hip-hop class. I sit next to Michael, we watch in silence for a few minutes.


“Justin, Mel, Gus, your Ma, his grandparents, you know those people? Although you are doing an upstanding job of upsetting the guys at the barn and the otters.” This gets him to look at me. “Michael. We’ve been here since 0800, you’ve had three breaks; the rest of them have had one, at the same time, and are back working.”


“I’ve had to speak to my broker, and…”


“You’re not speaking to him now, so let’s go back and work as a team to get the place ready for Zeus and Stitch.”


“They’re not going to be here for a month, what’s the rush?” He grumbles, but does get up. I wave him ahead of me before pocketing his phone. We’re almost halfway back when he ‘pats his pockets’. “Shit, I’ve left my....”


“Here it is.” I hand it to him, his quickly masked grimace almost has me snickering.


BARNS


WILSON


“You found him, where was he?” I ask as I just miss nailing my thumb to the wall. 


“Babe, concentrate!” Ben orders. “So where was he?” He repeats after checking my hand.


“Back garden.” Ethan replies. “What was he doing here, well whilst he was here? Been searching for him for so long, I’ve forgotten.”


“The bridge; he was helping Ted and Blake with that, and…”


“Hi all.” Debs calls out as she enters. “Oh, this is looking good!” 


“Thanks, Ma, me and the guys have been working really hard!” Michael preens.


“Michael, she’s been here since seven…” Justin’s dulcet tones make him flinch. “...but she’s right, it does look really good here. Is Brian about?”


“Well, judging by the whistling, he’s coming back from whence he was.” Ems answers before scrutinising Justin. “And not before time. You’re level, your foot is flat, so why so pinched?”


“Nothing physical. Just got some family stuff to deal with, and I need his opinion on it.” He sighs.


“His advice? Why?” Michael stops doing what little he was. “If it is to do with the family, you need to be speaking to Mel, Lindsay, and me!”


“Only if it has to do with Gus, who I would never discuss with you, and this doesn’t.” Justin retorts, the barn falls silent. 


“Everyone alright?” Brian queries as he re-enters. 


“Yes and no. Can we talk in the house, please?” Justin pinches his nose. 


“Getting a headache?” He asks, tilting Justin’s head up after he nods. “Sure.” We quietly watch them head back, but I’m not the only one that sees them hold hands when they think they’re out of sight; Debs sees it too and smiles.


“Well that was a little tense.” Ems sighs before brightening. “Oh, you know what can release angst and keep it PG? Dancing.”


“Dancing?” Daph frowns as she comes in with a basket. “Before we come onto why we’re talking dancing, everyone put their phones in here. Debs, can you supervise?”


“Sure honey.” I smirk as the first person she holds the basket out to is Michael. “Thank you, sweetheart, now everyone else!” Once she has all our phones, she then puts the basket on a shelf and settles down on the bale next to it. 


“Right, that’s the distractions and temptation's out of reach. So dancing?”


“Yes, we’ve not had a group night out in ages, and judging by that tense display, looks like Justin could use one. So let’s hit Babylon on Saturday night, agreed?”


“Oh I like the sound of that!” Daph nods. “Brian will be in, wonder if Mel wants to come too? Let me give her a call.”


“Ma, can you give me my phone so I can call Lindsay, please?” Michael asks.


“To ask her about Babylon?” He nods. “No…” His face falls. “...it’s Wednesday. You can call her to confirm her attendance after you’ve finished building that bridge outside amongst others. I will call Nancy and get her to ask her, they’re going to speak about the house anyway…”


“The house? Why?” He starts to edge towards the basket, but she knows her son and puts his phone in her purse. We avoid eye contact as he starts to backtrack.


“She’s selling it, and…”


“Where’s Lindsay going to live?” He gasps.


“Why not with you? You’re her best friend after all.” Debs replies. He goes pale all the way down to his ill-chosen just recently bought, but refused to change them, suede and leather boat shoes!


BRITIN - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


I feel much better. Him massaging my head is really helping, he knows where to rub. As my head lolls back, I open my eyes and find myself admiring the view of his chest afforded by his unbuttoned shirt. 


“So, as Elliott would say, what’s occurring?” He rakes his nails from the front to the back of my head; I forget how to speak. “Justin, what got you pissy earlier on?”


“That.” I mumble and point to the papers. He sits down then begins to read. “They didn’t waste their time, did they? Think they’ve always had this in their back pocket. They don’t even know him!” I find myself sobbing into his chest as the full nastiness of them hits me. He says nothing as he continues to read. “I need to speak to Brandon, and…”


“You need to approach this calmly.” He interjects. “In the highly unlikely, I repeat, highly unlikely event of someone taking this one, they have no money to fight you for custody of Gus. But when speaking to Brandon, get him to find out about how they found out about him.”


I hadn’t thought of that! When the papers were served, I panicked. And he’s right; how the hell did they find out about Gus? I’ve made it very clear to everyone that he is not to be discussed outside of Britin, and there would be consequences if he was. Also he’s not on social media, and never went to the exhibitions I was involved in, so how?


THREE HOURS LATER


MICHAEL


I’ve finally managed to escape! Jesus, what a pisser that was! I have splinters and broken nails, and because I didn’t notice Ma leave whilst they had me doing the back breaking stuff, she’s still got my phone! All I want to do is have a long soak. I head upstairs, but am surprised to find the bathroom locked. I rap hard on the door. “Who’s in there?!” I press my ear against it. I can hear giggling. “Open up right now!” I shout.


Slowly it opens, and I’m faced with Justin, a very unimpressed Justin. “What are you doing?!” He snaps. “I’ve told you about this wandering around like the Ghost of Christmas Nobody gives a Damn About before!”


“Sorry, Justin, I thought you were in your…”


“Is someone using the downstairs facilities?” He demands.


“I-I don’t know, I just wanted to have a bath.” I flush.


“Have you finished your tasks for the day? And is there something wrong with the one in your apartment?” 


“This one was closer, I didn’t think you would mind, after…”


“It is occupied, I do mind, so off you go.” He sneers before shutting and locking the door.


I’m stunned by his continued snarkiness, but after checking behind me, press my ear to the door. There is definitely someone other than him in there. I creep to his bedroom door, but am surprised to find that too locked. 


“Michael, what are you doing now?!” Ethan grouses. “We’ve...”


Stiffening my spine and plastering on a smile, I turn around. “Was just looking to have a bath after that long day, and...”


“A bath? The day is far from over, we’ve still got another couple of hours work left to do! And that’s after we’ve washed up the lunch things. You know how Maya gets with her kitchen.”


“Yes, yes, I am aware.” I grump, then walk past him to the kitchen. When I get there, Wilson hands me gloves and points at the sink. “You wash, I dry.”


JUSTIN’S BEDROOM - A MINUTE LATER


BRIAN


We were crying with laughter, lying on the bed. Having originally been pressed against the door when we saw a pair of feet outside it, then when we heard  Ethan’s annoyed voice, we had to stuff our shirts in our mouths. He seems to be going to sleep now though. He was so wound up over the papers, I ordered him to have a calming body mask. I had wondered why Ems had insisted on bringing his ‘bag of tricks’ with him, now I am glad he did. 


I settle down next to him and reread them. It just does not make sense, how could they have heard about Gus? When he bumps into my hip, then puts his head in my lap, I stroke his hair. Which is better than mine, I was very tempted to sneak the shampoo and conditioner down my pants, they smelt so good!


“I have lots.” He mumbles.


“Of what?” I frown putting the papers down.


“Shampoo and conditioner.” He yawns. “Saw you sniffing earlier. Tell you what, you tell me about the body mask, and you can take a set back with you.”


“You have yourself a deal.” I smile as he starts to drift off again. I pick up the papers. “I just don’t get…” My outside train of thought is interrupted by his phone beeping; I jostle my legs and he looks up tiredly. “Your phone.” I explain, but then he reaches behind him. “No, this phone.” 


“That’s not mine.” He sits up before grabbing it. “Well, at least I know how they know about Gus.” He snarls, I have to stop him from throwing it across the room. 


“How?”


“It’s Michael’s phone. Debs said she left it in here to keep him ‘captive’, it seems he’s been telling them all about Gus. There’s a text from he-producer thanking him for advising him of how miserable Gus is! I hate him, I hate him so much!” 


“Moro, please try to relax. Let me make a call, then you can use me as a pillow okay?” It takes a minute but he does nod. “You need some compresses, hot ones, think you can sort them whilst I send a quick text?” 


“Hmm.” He mumbles before slowly getting up before hissing as he walks.


Immediately, I see his left shoulder has risen slightly. I text Ems to come now, he replies that he was already setting up the table, and to send him straight down. 


“Justin, go to the lounge when you’re done, Ems is waiting. I’ll be right there.”


His look of relief makes me want to stuff otter dung down Michael’s throat then sew his mouth shut! As he limps down the stairs I make a call.


“Elliott, top priority, find out how Michael knows Justin’s parents and how long he’s been in contact with them.”


“Young pup, I’ve been...”


“Elliott, the finding needs to start now!”


“Young pup, I did some digging already. He has shares in Taylor Electronics, last purchased a year ago. Leave the parental situation with me, go be with your man.”


“Thanks Elliott.” I whisper before hanging up and heading downstairs.


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


NANCY


“But Mother, where are we supposed to go?!” Lindsay demands. “You can’t just give us notice to quit like that! He’s your grandson, and…”


“Will be with his Moms in the cottage on the grounds, or staying with us, depending on the weekend plans.” 


“The cottage? With just Mel? Where am I going? I need to be with my son!”


“Oh, do stop getting hysterical!” Ronald snaps from the sink, having been there to - once more - throw away that wine she insists on buying that tastes like onion vinegar! “Your Mother said ‘moms’, which means, obviously, that you will be moving in too, doesn’t it?”


“But where’s Maya going to go? Has he fired her?” She looks keen.


“Here. Once we’ve redecorated, especially this room. She’s not quite a fan of this old time look.” I can hear the twisting of the napkin. “So you have a month, but one of the contingencies of the move to the cottage is that Michael doesn’t stay or visit you there. You two want to best friend it up, then go to his place.” 


She says nothing, but then her ‘light’ starts to shine. “So, if you’re doing…”


“No.” Ronald states sharply. “Justin will not be redecorating the cottage. This is a temporary move for the two of you, Mel is aware, you can't stay there for time immemorial, when Gus reaches that age he will move in with Justin, and you two will have to find somewhere else to live.”


LINDSAY


It’s been a couple of hours since their bombshell, when I hear the key in the lock, I storm to the door, yanking it open. “How could you let me be…”


“Blindsided by Nancy saying she’s renting this place out? You weren’t.” Mel replies calmly. “I was there when she told you. You being on the floor in a heap is an image I won’t forget.” 


“I didn’t think she would follow through with that threat!” I declare. “But at least we’ve got some time to find a place, so that’s something isn’t it?”


“He’s going to be 14 in two months time, so you’d best get on looking.” Mel states as she opens the wine that they bought.


“I’m confused, what does him being 14 have to do with it.”


“As per the agreement, which you were oh so eager to sign but only have one small glass of champagne to toast your pregnancy...yours, not ours...with your best friend, leaving me to finish decorating the nursery; Gus moves in with his dad one day after his 14th birthday, and then we start to fund our own living expenses.” She eyes me over her glass. “Now excuse me, I need to have a shower before I head out to dinner.”


“Dinner, you want to go to dinner when we have this to discuss?!”


“I had already told you about it. Our housing situation doesn’t change my social plans. Maya is going to be showing me the sights around Britin, seems she’s quite the social maven. Shame, you belittled her so much.”


“I did no such…”


“Like I said, I am going to dinner. See you later.”


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - TWO HOURS LATER


OUTSIDE MICHAEL’S BEDROOM


MEL


I’m not sure what made a light bulb go off in my head after what Nancy said but I could just not shake the feeling of truth in her words. I had searched in my ‘bowl’ and found it, not that I have used it much and certainly without asking or telling him. However, then was not the time to be polite, I had grabbed the key to Michael’s apartment and here I am. I quietly push open the door and manage to suppress my gasp at the sight that greets me. 


They are on the bed, naked, and he is kissing her body all over. She giggles. “How long has it been now? Oh that feels good, want me to top you?”


“It’s been over 10 years, I do love it when you two row, you are so much wilder. And yes I do.”


“Wild, I like that. She never says anything like you do.” She purrs before reaching for the strap on. “Now it’s my turn to do you.”


He quickly gets on his hands and knees then waves his butt in the air. “Oh baby, do me, do me!” 


INSIDE MEL’S CAR - TEN MINUTES LATER


So far I have managed to suppress the urge to throw up using accupressure. All these years I have been faithful, well the Maya kiss aside, but they have been doing this to me for over ten years! And for her to use our strap on with him as well! I push down another wave of nausea, then start the car, knowing that this battle, as much as Justin, Nancy and Ronald would love to help, I need to fight alone.  





Confit lamb shoulder: 

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/confit-lamb-shoulder-with-rosemary-and-garlic

Granita: https://mayihavethatrecipe.com/savory-carrot-ginger-granita-with-tangy-cucumber-topping/

Cocktails: https://joyorganics.com/our-7-favorite-cbd-alcohol-recipes/

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx