- Text Size +

CHAPTER 18 - ALMOST OPENING THE MARIJUANA AND PANDORA BOXES


BRIAN AND HUNTER’S HOUSE - TWILIGHT 


ROOF


JUSTIN


The air is still, the sky clear; it’s pink and blue with a smattering of golden clouds. I pick up the box I gave him for his stash, then frown. “Haven’t you had any of them? If not, why not?” 


“I had enough of my own to wait until we could light up together.” His smile is infectious.


“Do you remember what is in there at least?” I tease.


“Well, let me see here...starting with the strongest and most popular OG, Hindu, Bubba, Purple, Master, Skywalker, Afghan and Vanilla.”


“Very good. Now what to do, top or bottom?” I set the box between my legs; he mirrors my position then strokes my instep. “Stop it. Need to...” I start to move my feet back, but stop when he runs one finger from the tip of my toes to my ankle. “...concentrate.” I gulp as he makes small circles on the bone then frowns. “Brian…”


“You broke your ankle, at some point.” He looks up. “Didn’t you?” I nod, he smiles at my curious look. “Osteology was part of my studies.”


“So where does the Greek come into it?” I sigh as he returns to stroking my instep.


“I liked the way it sounds.” He replies, still stroking. “Do you like languages?”


“Mmm…I can sp-speak Arabic, f-for when I got Zeus…” I breathe deep and slow before moving the box to my side, then replicate his stroking, but on his calf. He moves his leg to between my legs then palpates his toes. “That’s the disadvantage of having long legs…” He sighs as I massage his foot. “Also speak Japanese, French and German.” 


“So where’d you learn reflexology?” His voice is almost low as his eyes are hooded. “You’ve been doing it for a while. Nobody gets that...mmmm...good without studying hard.” 


“I took ballet; yes, I can still get on pointe. Reflexology made me very popular, but then I discovered hip-hop dancing. Ironically, he-producer was delighted that I left ballet, too effete, he said; but most of the dancers in there were on the down-low. It’s also where I learned about this…” I gesture at the box. “...Jurell, his name is, can roll a joint like nobody’s business…”


“Is? Are you two still in touch?” I nod. He stops stroking. “Why...sorry, that’s none of my…”


“Business.” I reply. He starts to move back but I clasp his foot. “We went into business together. He runs the farm in Colorado is what I meant. And that’s all. We never have, and we never will.”


“Good.” He murmurs. “I know I shouldn’t be…”


“Jealous?” I prompt, he shrugs. “Why were you?”


“Just was.” His honesty is refreshing.


“So who do I need to fret over?” He raises an eyebrow. “Oh.” I blush. ‘Well, I can hardly tell myself to back off. Kind of defeats the purpose.”


“Want to show me what Jared taught you?” He drawls. I swat his calf. “James, my bad…” He trails off as I start to crawl towards him. Leaning forward to grab the box, affords us a kissing opportunity; it is deep and delicious. “...can we start with Bubba?”


“Yes, in a second…” I gently push his chest, he gets the message and adjusts himself so I can wrap my legs around him. “...now…” But we’re startled when his phone rings. Happily, he sends it to voicemail, but it rings again. “You answer it, and I roll you one?” I suggest.


“Kinney!” He raps out whilst staying my hand. “Ted, this had...yeah, he is, wait a second.” He puts his phone on the box, then on speaker. “Go.”


“Sorry to interrupt, but we were in Babylon...oh, thank you for dinner, that was very generous of you, Justin, you didn’t…”


“Teddy, just tell him what you heard!” Emmett calls crossly.


“Yes, sorry, but it’s relevant as to…”


“Ted!” Brian snaps.


“Michael and Lindsay turned up. We left them in the booth, and were heading to Britin when I remembered the bill, so went back, and it was explained to me what you did, Justin, again, thank you. But then I overheard, whilst I was looking for my card that I dropped.. Actually, you should really consider lights under the bar, not bright ones, just enough for people to see the floor. It took me forever to…”


“TED!” Brian, Emmett and I bellow.


“Sorry! Michael and Lindsay, upon finding out that you own both Woody’s and Babylon, Justin, were surprised. Then, Lindsay said that two people would benefit from knowing about that. Not sure who they were talking about though. Thought I would let you know. I didn't want to call now, but Ems made me, so sorry if I interrupted for nothing.” 


It’s quiet for a few seconds, before there’s quiet murmuring. “Brian, Justin, it’s Ems. Please don’t take it out on Teddy, I did insist and…”


“It’s fine, thank you, both of you for letting me know.” I rub my temples and grind my teeth before resting my head on Brian’s shoulder. 


“Ems, we’re coming back now, do you think you can stay…”


“Of course, we all will. Drive safe.”


BRITIN - FIVE MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


EMMETT


I came to make us a hot drink, but I can't countenance their return! I find my phone and wait for him to pick up. “Hey, listen, is he in any pain? No, then don’t come back. You were so looking forward to this evening, please?” I hold my breath whilst they confer, then smile, hang up and head back to the lounge. Tired eyes look to me in confusion. “Go to bed, they’re staying there...” Relief abounds. “...but he did say to have a nice long lie-in. Brian’s  going to text Ethan and Debs.”


“Debs?” Winston rubs his eyes before grinning. “Oh, I see. She’s going to be in charge, is she?”


“Something like that.” I smile, before shepherding them upstairs then checking my beeping phone.


“Hey, you okay?” Drew asks as we get inside our room.


“No. I’m furious!” I start to tug at my clothes; he knows me well enough to let me ride out my tirade. “The moment I met those two, I just knew they were trouble! Mr Pissypants and his...his...Parmaour in Puerility!” I stop to wrest my top off my head, but it’s stuck. I can feel him trying not to laugh. I fold my arms and tap my foot. Gently and quietly, he eases it over my head then tackles the rest of my clothes. Flicking back the bedding, he waves me in; he soon follows. The silence continues. “He said we could and we’re going to.” I state firmly. 


“He said, or he resigned himself to his fate?” He murmurs into my neck, which makes me snicker a bit. “Ah, resigned. That means he likes what he sees...a lot.”


I turn to face him. “They’ve slept together, not fucked, slept together, and…”


“Time to sleep. What's the...oh, who was on the phone? You beeped.”


“Maya, she said to speak to Ted about the sushi place…” I smack my tongue and burrow into his chest. “...she said Mel said he could tell me; and whilst I remember will do it now.” I wait for him to hand over my phone. I send the message, then scowl at the reply. “Says he’s going to sleep and it will keep till later.”


“And you know how closed-mouth Ted can get when he’s tired?”


“Hmm.” I concur before nuzzling into my favourite place and drifting off.


TEN MINUTES LATER


DREW


He is deeply asleep. I gently untangle myself and grab my phone, the response is immediate. I head to the kitchen. Ted is looking both anxious and disgusted. 


“Does this need some of the wine we had before we left?”


“Please.” He sighs before sitting down. “I really like her…”


“Who? Maya? Yeah,  she’s nice....”


“She is, but I meant Mel. She’s a very nice, decent, and kind person. She has the best interests of Justin and Gus at heart.” He takes a sip, before reaching for the bottle. “Bull’s Blood, from Hungary, must make a note of that.” I move it away, he girds his loins then clears his throat. “Mel caught Michael and Lindsay in bed together at his place.” 


Sighing, I take the bottle and another two glasses. “I’ll tell him.” 


“Thank you. I can’t stomach two tirades in 24 hours. He’s really taken with Gus, and Justin already has a nickname…”


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


DREW AND EMMETT’S ROOM


EMMETT


“He’s right, we need to get some of this for the house.” I finish off my glass, then look up at the gentle knocking, Drew gets up to let in our guest. Her face is blotchy, and she looks shattered. “So, any idea why? Drew, please pour.”


“I think I may have. If I’ve got my dates right, it could be because I backed Justin instead of them when it came to Lindsay wanting another child…”


“Let her finish, Ems.” Drew orders, my mouth closing at least raises a smile.


“When I told Justin that I was going to be inseminated by Micheal, he was so appalled that I began to reconsider. But as luck would have it, if you can call it that, during my medical I was diagnosed with endometriosis. So Lindsay asked Justin again, but he flat out refused. I had always wondered why she wanted Justin to be the father as opposed to Michael, so I asked her. She said it was because she wanted a blonde haired boy, always had. She was devastated when Justin refused, but cheered up and accepted when Michael offered to give her the second child she craved, and Gus the sibling he’d asked for…”


“Asked for? He would’ve been what, three at the time?” Drew scoffs. “She expected you to believe that?!”


“But I did.” She recalls sadly. “The three of us were so excited when the process was restarted. However, things started to go awry when she asked to speak to Justin about the child’s future...”


Start of flashback

BRITIN - JUST OVER TEN YEARS AGO


LOUNGE


MEL


“Michael won’t be long, he’s just parking.” Lindsay explains; sitting down next to me, this is a surprise as she normally hovers so that she can sit next to Michael. “Can you believe this time next year, we will have two children?!” 


“We?” Justin frowns. “What do you mean we?” 


“What else could she mean? The four of us are going to be parents again!” Michael declares as he enters then sits next to Justin, who stiffens, but doesn’t move away., like I would “It’s so exciting.”


“Now how do we go about this?” Lindsay queries. “Would we use the same attorneys, and where would the trust be…”


“Ah, I see.” Justin interrupts, and on seeing the ‘twinkles’ in their eyes, I begin to get a sense of dread! “Mel has my attorney’s number, you can call him and get him to help you, but make sure you’re happy with the terms he sets out…”


“Wouldn't the call be better coming from you?” Michael asks. “You know, for security purposes. Once, that’s confirmed, I guess he could duplicate the one you’ve already set up, you don’t need to be on the call itself.”


Justin stops walking out and turns. “Security purp...duplicate what? Oh, do you mean the trust fund?”


“Yes, of course.” Lindsay replies, although her tone is light and Michael is still smiling, their patience is wearing thin.. “Can one of you please give me a copy of the paperwork so that we know that they’re set up the same? We would really like to get this sorted out before insemination.”


“Gus doesn’t need another trust, why would you think that he would?” I try to pull the brakes on their gravy train.


“Not for Gus, Mel, for our next child.” Michael’s smile starts to slip.


“Your next child, not ours, I’m not included. It is your choice to have a child, nothing to do with me.”


“But the child will be Gus’s half-brother or sister.” Lindsay blinks rapidly. “ And you will be the child’s…” 


“Yes, I’m aware of the biology, Lindsay. However, I won’t be the child’s anything, so I won’t be contributing towards the trust you want…”


“But that’s not fair!” Lindsay gasps. “Gus will have an advantage that…”


“As his birth father, I’m in a position to afford him. Shouldn’t Michael, as the child’s future birth father, set up and contribute to their trust?”


“Mel? What are your thoughts?” Lindsay demands.


“That he’s right. Michael should provide for his child. Why should Justin put his hand in his pocket when Michael doesn’t contribute towards Gus’s and never has?” When they don’t answer, Justin snorts and heads back to the door. For him, the decision has been made and is final. 


However, before he can leave I clear my throat, he pauses. “So, we three soon-to-be parents are agreed? Michael will provide financial assistance, and…”


“What if the current trust was shared between Gus and his sibling?” Lindsay suggests.


“That would be a decision for Gus to make, not me….”


“Justin, he’s three, he can’t make that kind of decision now!” Michael carps.


“And yet he could ask for a sibling in the first place? Begged and pleaded, I believe you said, Lindsay.” I suppress my smirk at her flaring nostrils. “Michael’s child, Michael’s responsibility. He does have money, remember that big lottery win which he lives off of, and has done for many years?” He exits the room but then reappears by the door. “Just apply that shrewd mind to investing in your child’s future, and you’ll build it up in no time. Now, I’ve got a playdate with my son, will I be giving your apologies again, LIndsay?” 


When he closes the door before she can answer, she sits next to Michael. I wait for her to speak, it doesn’t take long. “Mel, I really think you should’ve backed us up...”


“Why?” I query as I roll my neck, again they’re quiet. “So, are you coming or not?”


“I’ll be up in a minute. Just need to see Michael out after we’ve had a quick chat.” She replies; I haven’t even closed the door before she pours a large glass of wine for each of them.


GUS’S ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


He's watching a napping Gus with a sweet smile, it falls when he sees me. I take his hand. “Don’t you dare. Don’t apologise, you’re totally right. It is our responsibility.” He looks relieved. “Tell me, as I’ve always wanted to know, why were you going to give up your rights?”


“Because he was going to be your child; yours and Lindsay’s. But then the ultrasound happened, and it hit me. I’m going to be a dad, so I wanted to be a proper one, not like my inseminator nor whatever it was that Michael said he wants to be. What was it again?”


“A mentor, and someone the child could come to for guidance in their formative years.”


“How is he going to guide someone out of a place he’s never left?” He laughs before sobering slightly. “She’s not coming, is she?”


“Not yet, they’re having a chat before he leaves. She’ll be up afterwards.”


“I would love one day for their chats to not involve drinking the Rothschild 2005 as if it were Pepsi! Which reminds me, can you tell him to take that out of the fridge, this is not his home!” 

End of flashback


EMMETT


I contemplate this for a few seconds. “So why didn’t she have the baby with Michael?”


“Because they wanted to wait until Gus was a little older…”


“And the older never came.” I sigh.


“Exactly. As he grew up, she focused less and less on him. He stopped being this cute little thing who she could play dress up with, but then give him to us when he wouldn’t obey. I can imagine how she would treat Michael’s child compared to Gus, despite the…”


“Got it; now please go back to bed.” I order gently, she nods and Drew lets her out.


Minutes later, we’re spooning with him in front. Just as I’m drifting off, he snorts. ”What?”


“They remind me of locusts.” 


“They are.” I murmur.


“And I've just remembered that Blake has got some Bifen Granules at the center, and was wondering if he could spare a cup or two.”


“The locust killer?” He nods. “Do not ask him!” I order firmly.


“Why, because you want to?”

 

“Yes. Now go to sleep, you little Dickens!”

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx.