- Text Size +

CHAPTER 19 - FIERY COOK-UP, THEIR HISTORY AND BEGINNING TO DICK SWING


BRIAN AND HUNTER’S HOUSE - MORNING


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


I tighten his robe, finish off the coffee then pull up the blinds. I can’t help smiling, despite the shitstorm that Lindsay and Michael are trying to create, at the feel of it against my skin. It is full length and forest green, the outside is cord but the inside is cashmere! I must ask him where he got it from, as it’s like being hugged. And then there’s the view from here, all I can see is the green of the grass and the blue of the sky.


I open the fridge to see what I can nibble on for now, as he said he would sort out breakfast when he got back. Judging by the large box and the ‘do not open’ scrawled on it, he’s made good on his word. Curiosity and the smell emanating from it gets the better of me, so I take it out to see how to open it without him noticing, but the swine has sellotaped it shut and on the bottom of the box he’s written ‘I said don’t open...now go back to bed!’ Grumping slightly, I put it back and pour more coffee, then spot the cookies, so have one then load another two on the plate and do as I’ve been scrawled to do!. 


Once I get comfy, I grab my iPad to plan what to eat for lunch and maybe dinner. After Emmett’s call, we decided to remain here for most of the day. My reminder to call Brandon is on screen, so I grab my phone and put it on speaker.


“Hey, Justin, you okay?” Brandon’s worried tone confuses me, then I look at the time.


“Oh, sorry, didn’t realise it was so early…”


“And it’s Sunday.” He adds. “So again, you okay?”


“No. But before I go on…is George with you?” I decide on a bull-by-the-horns approach. “He needs to hear this as well.”


“Geo...ah, how long have you known?”


“Not very. I hadn’t quite left the building before you two succumbed to your desires!” I tease, knowing by his silence that he’s giving me the finger. “Well, is he?”


“Not currently, he’s gone for a walk. Shouldn't be long, want to call back and tell us together?”


“Yeah, say about nine thirty. Would he back and you two finished saying ‘hello’ by then?”


“Yes and yes, now get lost before I increase my retainer!” 


I hang up smiling. I’m pleased for Brandon and George. He and Brandon are a good match. Brandon is brash, rash and arrogant, but underneath that is a good heart and soul that just wants to be loved and knowing George the way I do now, I know that’s he the man to do that. 


I remember the first time I met Brandoin. It was just before I was thrown off of the board. I was at our headquarters, trying to put out yet another fire that my producers had started. They had approached a smaller company in the electronics world, but with such a bombastic and hostile way that he, as their attorney, told us in no uncertain terms to not only fuck off but also that he would be adivsing his clients to report us to the SEC. 


I begged them to back off and issue an apology because of the reputational damage. Of course they refused. I had to take the walk of shame alone, as our then attorney was one of their cronies so refused to go with me.  When I got to his office, Brandon was furious that I wasn’t represented; his insistence that the meeting be rescheduled to when I could find an attorney that would do what I paid him to do caused consternation on both sides. They were furious, as they expected evisceration and compensation from Taylor Electronics. When he said that all they were due was an apology and a promise not to approach again, as it was vultures circling, they fired him on the spot. His reaction was to laugh before offering to represent me going forward. I accepted, and the rest is history.


After I put the reminder in I leave a message for Gus; but he picks up.


“What are you doing up?” I wince at his chirpiness.


“It’s Sanctuary Day, remember?” He declares as he bangs about his room. “Will you guys be here to give it your approvals?”


My heart sinks a little as I had forgotten that Debs was moving up today. Once the idea of spending the day up here formed, I began to get very comfortable. 


“Yes, of course, what time is the grand opening?”


“Hang on, H, how long do you reckon it will take us and the guys to do it?” Hunter’s response is somewhat muffled, then Gus starts to laugh. “He said, about three, and his dad said to turn off the kitchen light, he’s not made of money!” 


I roll my eyes but do get up. This has been the one grumble he’s had about me. I just keep leaving the lights on, my assertion that I have to check for spiders got his eyes rolling and me plunged into darkness.


“Can you ask him to ask his dad what he wants me to cook, and…”


“Please, can you do the ramen bowls for lunch and come earlier?” Gus pleads.


“Yes and yes.” I reply, as that is a very good idea. Given the work they’re going to do, this is the perfect lunch. “We’ll be there about two, the rest of the food is a surprise, okay?”


“Okay, Dad! Oh, morning, Mom, it’s dad. Do you want to talk to him?”


I wait for them to finish their conversation. I don’t know why she tells him to eat before he does any hard labour, he never does, claiming he wants to work up an appetite. She sends them on their way, but the time between hearing the door shut and her speaking seems longer than it should be. 


“Hey, Justin, did you have a good evening, night and morning?” Mel tries and fails to sound jolly.


“Not the greatest. Are you alright?”


“Can we not talk about it now? I need to process, get a plan in place,  then tell you about it, please, Justin?”


“Okay. I’m cooking lunch of chicken ramen bowls, not sure if I should do fries or seikhan, will you be able to join us?”


“Sorry, no, got a meeting, but can do dinner. As for lunch, go for fries. If you’re doing dinner, can you do the Korean fried chicken bowls with seikhan, and make it extra spicy, please?”


“Please tell me it's just for three or maybe five? I’ve got a new order due for delivery today!”


“Definitely. What did you order?” She suddenly sounds much happier! 


“Moruga Scorpion, it's from Trinidad.”


“Wonderful. Can you aim for seven? They should be safely ensconced in his lair by then.” 


“Let me guess, more shopping? What great thing does he or she want this time?” I sneer.


“Two things: one a new place to live. He and Lindsay are hunting, it needs to be outside of Liberty Avenue and closer to us. The second thing is a car…”


“A car?” 


“Yes, because Debs won’t put him back on the service.” 


“Oh crap! I’m sorry, Mel. Does Gus know? When did you find that out? Shall I speak to Debs about the service?”


“Not yet for both of them. As for when, I found out about ten minutes ago. She called to tell me, hence the need for dinner.” I hear the creak of the bed as she sits down. “I can’t wait to move into the cottage…”


“Then move this weekend!” I declare. 


“We can’t. They’ve been reading, and for once right is on their side. We can’t move until Gus is 14, and that’s not for another six months; I’m meeting up with Nancy to explain the slight hitch in plans.” 


“Shit. What a time to become literate!” I grumble as I pull on my pants. “I’m going to…”


“Hang on. Come in!” She calls out. “Hi, Emmett, talking to Justin.”


“Oooh gimme! Good morning, what are you doing up so early? I know you’re not with Brian, as I’ve just spoken to him. Is everything okay, you’re not in any love induced pain are you? According to Elliott, he gets a little enthusiastic where you are concerned!” Emmett’s cheery but concerned voice floats out. 


“Emmett!” I blush, then chuckle. “But in answer to that, no I’m not. I’m going to do some cooking, you’re staying for lunch, aren’t you?”


“No, we’ve got another appointment on the other side of the city. We're going to help with the initial set up for Debs, then leave them to it, could be back for dinner though. Oh, another thing, Baby, I took in a delivery for you. You and Elliott share a love of hot sauce, he gets his from HellFire too! I’ll leave it in the kitchen for you. What time’s dinner?”


 “Around seven. It’s going to be spicy.” 


“Excellent, will let everyone know and be there on time. If you were thinking of making anything spicy, go see Elliott. He says that the pepper needs to take hold, or something like that. Handing you back, Baby. Tootles!”


“I will! Toot...toodles!” 


“I’m so glad we met them!” Mel sighs, finally sounding happier. “Look, I’m going to have to hop in the shower; breakfast and all that. See you later.”


“Later, Mel.” I hang up then quickly call Elliot, who decides that we’re going shopping.


DINER - TWO HOURS LATER


DEBS


“So you’re reneging on your promise then?” I glower at Michael as he waits for me to open up. “You said that you would help with the set up, today’s the day!”


“Ma, why are you being like this?! Jeez, be reasonable, it’s not not as if I can’t help you tomorrow. I need to get my new home sorted out first, and…”


“You don’t have a new home.” I interrupt. “You’ve only just started the hunting process, at least that’s what you said last night!” I snarl, and am about to continue when I notice the glint in his eye. The same one he always gets when he’s about to storm off, after I’ve upset him with that nasty tone I get sometimes, when he’s made a ‘reasonable suggestion’. Which to anyone outside looking in, this could be seen as that. However, I spoke to Ethan late last night, he was apologising for not being able to help with the set up as he has another appointment, and, somehow, Michael has found that out so is now taking advantage of his absence.


Although him not being there does mean things will get done quicker, and in a much nice atmosphere! “You know, you’re right. You’ve got to sort this out first. What time will you be at Britin, or will you come here first?”


“You’re okay with this? Are you sure?” He follows me in, then takes a seat in the back booth. 


“Sure I’m sure. What are you doing now? I thought you would be making out like Crocodile Dundee and..”


“Ahaha very funny! I’m a bit hungry, so I might as well have breakfast here first, then I’m going to see Lindsay. She’s going to help me with the search. She’s got exceptional taste, having me as a best friend is proof of that, obviously.” He’s lucky my back is to him. Losing my sourpuss expression, I turn around. “Can you get me a coffee and whatever the special is today, but hold the coffee for a few, have a deep need to piss!” He declares before sauntering to the bathroom.


I’m about to let out a string of cursing when Justin and another chap enter. “Hey, Sunshine, what are you doing here? Who’s this fine fellow?!” I kiss Jusin’s cheek then hold out my hand in greeting. “I’m Debs. Nice to meet you…”


“Elliott. And nice to finally meet you, Debs.”


“Finally, what do you...oh you’re that Elliott?!” I grin. “Brian’s told me a lot about you, they all have. You guys want coffee or tea?”  


“Coffee for me, please.” Justin takes a seat at the counter. 


“And a rose mint tea for me, please.” Elliott answers as he wanders around. “This is a nice place. Very nice indeed.”


“Ma, you can...oh, hi, Justin! What are you doing here?” Michael demands as he returns then moves to the counter. “You’re not normally gracing this end of Liberty Avenue! Don’t think that you’re going to get a free meal...that’s only for family, besides you can afford to pay!” He nudges him and laughs, Justin gives him a tight smile. “Oh, thanks, Ma…” He grabs the coffee before I can protest and takes a gulp, then quickly spits it out. “...oh, this is horrible, far too strong. Why did you give me this?!”


“She didn’t, young man. You took it.” Elliott corrects him states as he joins them. “That was for Justin.”


“Oh. Well, I had ordered before I went to the bathroom, so naturally, I thought it was mine.” 


“Why would that be a natural thought? There are other people present after all. By assuming, you made an ill mannered buffoon out of yourself.” 

 

Justin bites his lip to stop from smiling at that slapback. I have to admit, it was beautifully done! 


“Ma, could you get Justin and me our coffees?” He orders before turning to Elliott. “I’ve not seen you around here before.”


“That’s because it’s the first time I’ve been.” Elliott replies, before taking his mug and sitting on the other side of Michael. “Thanks Debs, just what I needed for what I see is going to be a trying time ahead.”


“How do you know my Ma?”


“Who says I do in whatever sense you mean? Her name is on the tag, therefore I used it.” 


“You’re a very difficult person to have a conversation with!” Michael carps. “Come on, Justin, let’s move away from the miserable one!”


“Miserable vs mitherly, I know which I would choose. However, since I’m with Justin and he is my…now, what’s the vernacular…ride, he’s not going anywhere with you. Are you, my dear boy?” He gives Justin a teeth rotting smile, which he quietly returns. “He’s cooking dinner tonight in order to introduce me to his son and other members of his family and friends. I look forward to it.”


“You? And Justin?” Michael echoes, before shutting his laptop. “Does Lindsay know, what time’s dinner?” He demands, standing up. “Justin? Dinner? What time? Ma, forget breakfast, I need to speak to Lindsay!” 


“About seven.” Justin replies grumpily.


“See you then, and I hope you, sir, are in a better mood. I’m one of Justin’s closest friends, and the best friend of his son’s mother. We will see you tonight. Just a heads up, as first impressions go, not good!” He storms out, banging the door shut behind him. 


“Elliott! What did you do that for?!” Justin gripes. “I was looking forward to not having them around tonight!”


“Yes, I know that.” Elliott chuckles. “But whilst he was being such a delight, I happened to be checking his laptop. Once we finish at the butchers and head back to yours to sort out lunch and dinner; we will put the rest of my revised plan in motion. Now,  come-come, Debs, name of butchers for that free range chicken he’s raved about.”


“Derrick’s Meat. It’s two blocks up. And can I come and bring Nancy and Ronald?”


“I insist that you do.” Elliott smiles, then ushers a bewildered Justin out.


BRITIN - EARLY EVENING


DINING ROOM


ELLIOTT


We’ve been here since half five. The Sanctuary set up went very well, everyone is happily bedded down for the night. The only ones not in place are Zeus and his very beautiful family.


“How long did they say they’re going to be?” Blake grumbles. He and Hunter look reproachfully at the still empty drive, for they are very much stomach led. “Maybe just a slice of bread?”


“Honey, sit down…” Ted orders firmly. “....you too, Hunter. You won’t just have a slice of bread, neither of you. You’ll take down the loaf, then dinner after, which I will have to track back and forth getting you numerous cups of freshly made peppermint tea until your stomach settles. Be patient, they should be another ten minutes tops. Debs went to get them in the service. It's a shame that Ronald and Nancy couldn’t make it, I like them a lot.”


“Me too.” Emmett sighs and stretches. “We’re going to lunch over the weekend, plans need footing, you see. So to stave off malnutrition, shall I be mother and pour?” 


“Could we stop you?” Ethan teases; Emmett’s ability to make himself very much at home, whether that’s his home or not, is one of his most endearing traits. “What’s Justin cooking? It smells so good.”


“It’s definitely chicken…” Brian announces as he comes back in with a platter. “...that’s all he would tell me.” 


“And judging by those suddenly bee stung lips, you tried oh so hard to get it out of him!” Ben smirks.


“You’re dating a vampire.” Brain returns with an arched brow; tittering abounds when Ben checks his reflection, then glowers at not-sorry Wilson. “Didn’t you wonder why the client was staring at you so much?”


“Wilson, you’re getting me some cover up first thing in the morning!” Ben orders.


“Daph, we’re going shopping!” Wilson declares, wiggling happily. “Does anybody want anything? You know, it would be best if we just go, us being mavens and all!”


“Actually, yeah, could you get me…” Ted begins, and soon we’re all gathered around Daph’s laptop, making lists and plotting their day.


“Excuse me, everyone!.” Justin laughs, startling us all. “I slaved hard over that, the least you can do is shop and eat!”


“What is that then?” Hunter beats Blake to the platter. “Is that pate?”


“Almost. It's pistachio and peppercorn potted duck.” He replies, before mesmerising Briain with the slow way he spreads the duck onto the bread then eats it.


“You’re the kinda guy that makes eye contact when eating a banana, aren’t you?” I snicker.


“He better be.” Brian growls.


“And the fun’s over!” Gus sighs, before pointing out the window; a car had drawn up and a very pinch faced Debs is striding towards the door, with Michael following, talking to a blonde followed by an unhappy looking dark haired lady. “What have they done to Mom now?!” He stomps to the door. 


“Mom?” I question.


“The dark haired beauty is Mel, and Gus’s Mom…” Justin explains. “...the blonde is Lindsay, she’s the carrier.” 


“Ah, I see. Well, let’s begin to establish who’s got the bigger dick, shall we?” I state, whilst picking up the platter. “Come along people, time to have some fun!”


BRIAN


I pull Justin to a stop. For someone who hates these two people, he’s looking markedly chipper. “What’s going on?”


“You’ll see.” He smiles, and with a brush to my lips, follows the rest of them in.





Charred chicken ramen bowls: 

https://donalskehan.com/recipes/charred-chicken-ramen-bowls/

Korean fried chicken bowls: https://donalskehan.com/?s=korean+fried+chicken+bowls

Seikhan: https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/609-sekihan-azuki-bean-rice

Pistachio and pink peppercorn potted duck:

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/potted-duck-with-pistachio/

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive, thanks