- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Title transation - roughly: anticipating strawberry fields and their misfortune

CHAPTER 22 - VORFREUDE IN SMULTRONSTÄLLE AND SCHADENFREUDE




MAYA




I have to say the sickly looks they are sporting are an improvement on their supposed allure. Never have two people had such unwarranted vanity. I spot the Thomas-Marks and wave; of course the empress thinks they’re waving back at her, peacocking when they approach.




“Justin! How lovely to see you back.” Geraldine Thomas-Marks smiles, genuinely, which changes upon seeing Lindsay. “Lindsay and friend, you’re here again.”




“Yes, won’t you join us?” She beams, completely missing the jibe.




“No, no thanks. My misophonia tends to act up in certain people’s presence.” She glances at Michael, who’s trying to get the attention of the waiter.




“You should take something for that.” Michael calls over his shoulder; his gesticulating is garnering despairing looks. Lindsay tries coughing to get his attention.




“Sadly, wiring a person’s jaw shut is frowned upon no matter how deserved.” Geraldine shoots back.




“I’ve been looking up scold’s bridles, interested?” Justin asks, causing Mel to hiccup into her napkin.




“Are you alright,  Mel?” Lindsay exclaims, which finally gets the buffoon’s attention.




“Do you need to go home?” He looks eager. “Shame, I’ll just get Ronald…”




“I’m fine, thanks.” Mel sniffs. “Waiter’s coming this way.”




“Finally.” He whips around in readiness. I almost honk with laughter as he glides to another table. 




“Geraldine, does your German Shepherd, Steven, still have problems?” Justin suddenly asks.




“Um, yes. Why?” She frowns.




“You thinking of Kinnetic for his hips? That's a great idea!” I declare when he nods.




“Sorry, please explain. Henry, Justin’s asking about Steven.”




“Justin, Justin Taylor? I thought it was you, you’re looking so well. Welcome back! Now what’s this about Steven, the poor chap, he’s getting worse.”




“I’ve got a friend who has rehabilitated Zeus, maybe he can have a look at Steven’s dysplasia.”




Geraldine’s eyes fill. “Oh, do you think he could? He’s so young to be suffering, but nobody can seem to help.”




“Let me make the call now.” Mel rises. “Why not come with me so you can tell them exactly what the issues are?” 




“I’ll go, Gerry.” Henry squeezes her arm. “I can at least get through most of the conversation without weeping. We love him so much.” 




“Try Blake first. I know he and Ted are in.” Justin calls out as they depart; Mel waves in acknowledgement. “Do you want to wait here, fancy a whisky?”




“That will do for now I suppose.” Michael declares. “Lindsay, what do you want? I think...”




“I doubt that.” Geraldine cuts him off. “Justin, since it’s your suggestion, it’s only right that it’s your choice.”




“A bottle of Yamazaki, the twelve year old, for the table. I think that would be great.” Justin is about to signal the waiter, but another arrives with it. “Thank you. Now, Michael, you can order whatever it was that you were so desperately signalling for.” 




“What can I get you, sir?” The waiter has his pad at the ready. “Sir…” He prompts. Michael takes his time opening up the menu, then even longer to read it.




“Right…” He gazes past the waiter who looks like he’s going to tell the cook to spit in his food. “...you should come back in a couple of minutes, I’m still thinking.” He looks at his watch. “So at five past.”




“How many glasses for the whisky, Mr Taylor?” The waiter asks. I feel him willing Justin to reply with whatever the amount is less one!




“Please call me Justin. Mr Taylor is my producer; I’m very far removed from…”




“Producer? Oh, Justin, you’re terrible!” Geraldine chuckles. 




“He’s your father, you should be more respectful.” Michael chips in.




“Why? Given our history, he’s lucky I acknowledge him at all.” Justin shoots back. “As for glasses, five, please, unless you’re joining us, Lindsay?”




Nicely played! She either joins with her lover, or goes for the cache of drinking with part of the elite! I hide my smile in my glass, for coming towards the table, right in Lindsay's blindspot, is Nancy.




“You know, whisky is not my favourite, perhaps we could have a brandy for the table?”




“Then why...” Nancy makes her jump. “...did you and Michael finish the last bottle that Justin bought a couple of weeks ago? I found it in the sunroom, tucked between the African violets after you left. I meant to tell you that, Justin, then, but seeing it now reminded me.” Lindsay goes red, Michael says nothing. “And then there was the eight year old Kurayoshi in the cocktails you had in Woody’s yesterday. What was it called again?”




“I can’t recall.” Lindsay mutters as Justin’s eyes swivel between the pair of them. I was there when he asked about it, once more it seems they lied. “Mother, I believe your starter is being served, you don’t…”




“It’s a salad. Unlike you it won’t go cold.” Nancy retorts. 




“Good lord!” Geraldine gasps staring at the door, which most of the room is now doing. I smile when Justin clocks the reason why. Striding towards him, looking devastatingly handsome, is Brian!




“I thought this wasn’t his thing?” Michael bitches, jealousy pulses across his face; causing Lindsay to fume.  




“I changed my mind…” Brian explains as he turns the empty chair behind Justin around, sits astride, resting his elbows on the back. “...I got lonely, curious and horny...not in that order...so I came here to get the reason, or at least give him a lift back so we can have dessert.” He scoots closer to Justin, who’s going pink. “What are you having?”




“Judging by that reaction, lustful thoughts.” Geraldine snickers, much to Lindsay's surprise. “I’m Geraldine, and you are, apart from his significant other?”




“Brian. Brian Kinney, nice to meet you.” He holds out a hand whilst leering at Justin. “And I think you’re right. He does seem a little flushed. You okay there? Need me to wipe you down?”




“Brian, behave.” Nancy chortles.




“Yes, Mr Kinney, there is a time and place for that kind of thing.” Lindsay bites out.




“And judging by Mel’s expression, you won’t be finding a time or place for that kind of thing anytime soon.” Geraldine frowns as we see an incandescent Mel glaring at the table whilst Henry scurries back. “Judging by that speed, he’s coming to whisk me away, just as it was about to get good! Maya, is there…”




“Wait, what do you mean, Geraldine?” Lindsay demands as quietly as she can, now that everyone has stopped drooling over Brian. “What could my comment and Mel have in common?”




“She’s your partner of over ten years I believe?” Geraldine stands. “Just because you’re always seen here with him, doesn’t mean we don’t know about her. Nancy and Ronald adore her greatly.”




“Mother, have you…”




“No she hasn’t.” Geraldine cuts in. “Did you at least manage to speak to someone at Kinnetic, Henry, before whatever’s just happened?”




“Yes. We’ve got an appointment on Friday.” He replies before turning to Lindsay. “I think you need to go and see Mel. She really is rather cross. Come on, darling.” I smile as a protesting Geraldine is firmly shepherded away, it widens when Henry tells her that they can’t ask to be moved to closer!




NANCY




“When isn’t she?” Michael mutters.




“What was that, Michael?” I ask.




“I said what could it be?” He blusters; I hold his gaze until he looks away. “Where’s the wait…”




“Lindsay...”




“Mel? Who were you talking to?” I ask.




“I’ll explain later, Lindsay, we need to go. Nancy, we’ll take a cab back. I’m…”




“Why are we going?” Lindsay remains seated. “I’ve not had my starter yet.” 




“What’s going on, Mel? You’re making a scene.” Michael carps; Mel takes a few calming breaths before glaring at him. 




“This is between Lindsay and I.” Mel is gathering her things; Brian and Justin look bewildered and worried. “Lindsay.” She jams her hands in her pocket so as not to yank her out of the seat.




“Fine, but can we just discuss it in another room? I’m sure whatever it is can be resolved swift...” 




“Deal. Now move!” Mel growls.




“Mel, is this what you wouldn’t tell me?” Justin locks onto Lindsay.




“No, this is something different. Lindsay, move!” 




“I won’t have you speak to her like that!” Michael hisses. Personally, I am loving this new assertive Mel. “Whatever it is, just spit it out and stop being a fuck...dramatic!”




“Dramatics, eh? Not even close. And since you won't move, here it is!” She snarls, leaning closer. “Why is he listed as a contact at the school, Lindsay? You’d be the only person who would’ve done or wanted that.”




“You’ve done what?” Brian grits out; Justin is pale and silent. “You know damn well that he is the last person that they would want there. Why the fuck can’t you respect Justin or his wishes?!”




“Mr Kinney, this has nothing…” Lindsay begins.




“It has everything to do with me! He is my partner, who, once more, you two are upsetting!” He turns to Mel, taking a couple of breaths. “How quickly can it be changed; how did you find out?”




“Effective immediately he’s eradicated. Any further changes have to be confirmed by either me or his grandparents. The headmaster is a member of the club. He wanted me to pass on a message to Michael to get him to give them his updated telephone number. They tried to call him when they couldn’t get hold of Lindsay...”




“There will be a family conference on Monday.” Justin seethes, gripping his glass. “We’re going to go through all of the paperwork to re-establish the rules and up the ante of the consequences of failure to comply. I’ll call Brandon when we get back. Lindsay, get your attorney on standby. Michael, stay out of my sight.” 




“Come on, let me get you home. You need a hot bath and a compress.” Brian gently helps Justin to stand. “Thank you so much for fucking up our evening!” 




“We haven’t…” 




“Shut up Michael!” Mel rasps as she watches them leave. “And whatever present you’ve got, share it with her. I want nothing from you!” 




I’m angry as I’m happy when Brian loops his arm across his shoulders and guides him out. “Mel, will you let either Maya or us take you back?” I ask. She nods, looking tired and defeated. “Maya, you stay, fill in Geraldine, we know what she’s like.” Lindsay goes pale. “I’ll just get Ronald.” 




“I’m here, what’s going on?” Ronald demands, but Mel shakes her head. “When we get home then? Come on Nancy, let’s start the car.”




“Wait, you two need to hear this.” Standing, she stares at Lindsay. “This camel’s back is breaking. You will not do this to Gus. It’s time to choose. You either are a mother to Gus first, then his best friend, or you sign away everything and leave us alone.” Lindsay looks astonished. “I’m ready to go now.”




“About fucking time. And know this, Lindsay…” Ronald helps Nancy with her jacket. “...Gus has accepted that he’s second best, will Michael?”




OUTSIDE BRIAN AND HUNTER’S HOME - NEXT MORNING




BRIAN




For the second time, I drop my keys. I’m calling Mel in the hopes that Justin’s with her. When I woke up this morning, he was gone. We spent the rest of the night talking; I don’t think he slept very well at all. 




“Mel, it’s Brian. Look, can you call me the minute you get this message? Justin’s…” I pause and gape up the drive. “...never mind. I’ll call you back.” I can’t quite believe it. “Hey.” I call, and am rewarded with a slightly nervy but bright smile. 




“Hey, come see.” He has something in his hands. “No, stay there. I made it this far, I can do it.” Slowly, he makes his way over. “Don’t scream, okay?” 




“Okay.” I agree, before biting back said scream when I see what he’s holding.




“I know, right?” His hands are trembling. “He almost stepped on him, her...um it.”




“You took Zeus out?” I glance at Zeus, he is nibbling on grass and looking happy.




“Hmm. I did before. When I was upset, riding him made me feel better.”




“You’re holding a spider. A big one.” 




“Yep.” His smile gets wider. “And I’m not freaking out too much. It’s beautiful.”




“It is…” He looks so awestruck and I’m so proud of him. “...want to put it down now?”




“Yeah, but let me take a picture for Gus!” He grins before gently placing it on the ground. 




My snickering at his vigorous hand wiping stops when I realise they’re my shorts. “Justin!” 




“I’ll make it up to you.” He blows me a kiss before setting up the shot. “How’s that look?”







“Perfect. Of all the ones to start off with, a tarantula is..”




“So cool. It has given me an idea for my next show. Are there snakes around here too?”




“Uh, yes, but slow down, Crocodile Dundee.” He swats me whilst giggling. “How was it, being back on him?” I smile as Zeus makes his way over. When he reaches us, he nuzzles his shoulder. 




“Great it was just great, and look at this.”







“Cloud rainbow. Cyn always said when you see them, something good is going to happen.” I take Zeus’s reins, then mount him. “Come on, I want to show you something.” He looks at Zeus who whinnies his approval and quickly gets in front of me. “If you’d gone a little further…” I click my tongue and Zeus starts to trot. “...you’d found a strawberry field, and…”




“Really?” He leans back, covering my hands with his. 




“Yeah, it’s where we used to go.” I kiss his neck. “When we get there, he gets to eat them and I get to eat you.”




“Does he know the way?” He rubs my thigh.




“Yep.” 




“Good.” He turns around and starts to attack my neck. “Get him there faster!”




“Zeus, git!"




MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER




KITCHEN




MICHAEL




I contemplate what happened. I’m so furious with the lot of them, Mel especially, but Lindsay is up there too for a change. After Justin’s flouncing and Mel’s declaration, I was gleeful when Lindsay remained seated; whilst I looked around for the waiter and the glasses…




Start of flashback


MICHAEL




“I thought you told them about it.” I start to open the whisky, happy that it’s just the two of us, as Maya went to speak to Ma. “Can’t believe they’re so pissy, can you? I mean Mel and her camel breaking bitching, pathetic.”




“I shouldn’t have done that.” She mutters, which surprises me. “That was silly. Not sure why I did it, what happened?”




“Lindsay?”




“We must have had a row or something.” She frowns. “I need to fix this.”




“Fix? What do you mean fix?” I’ve got an uneasy feeling. “What’s to fix? My details have been taken off, problem solved. They just need to stop queening, and…”




“I need to go.” Lindsay stands, quickly draining her glass. “Without her, I have nothing.”




“Nothing, what do you mean nothing? You’ve got me, you’ve always got me.” I protest.




“I know that, Michael, but without Mel, I don’t have Justin, and without Justin...” She comes to my side, bends down and kisses my cheek. “...look, we need to keep away from each other for a few days, maybe a month. I’ll call you when I can. Bye, Michael.” I’m slack jawed as she hurries out, phone clamped to her ear. 




I’m brought out of my stupor by the arrival of the waiter. “What are you doing?” I demand.




“Clearing the table.” He sniffs, putting the bottle on the trolley. “And if you could make your way to the cloakroom, they’ll be happy to call you a cab.”




“What are you on about? I’m going to order, and…”




“Not without a Club Member you can’t.” He retorts. “And there’s nobody here for you.”


End of flashback


 

 

I pour the water for my coffee as his words echo, seemingly around the room. “You may have abandoned me for now. But I know you, Lindz, you will be back. Being at their beck and call is not in your nature.” Feeling comforted, I smile and sip. “She'd be wise to remember that as well as knowing her MO where Mel is concerned, I also know her body!”

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thank you.