- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23 - THE RETURN AND THE REGRESSION


MEL AND LINDSEY'S HOUSE - A MONTH LATER


MICHAEL


I stretch as I get out of my new convertible. It’s good to be back home, especially knowing who’s waiting for me. Okay, Lindsay hasn’t been in touch, she most likely was under virtual armed guard! I just know my best friend will be thrilled at my return. I had to go on a three week holiday to stop myself from storming to Britin to free her! As much as I enjoyed the British Virgin Isles, it would’ve been better to have her with me. She would’ve loved the secluded huts, especially having no wifi! 

 

Her house looks different somehow, I take out the gifts I bought for them. I’ve added to her jewellery collection, and got token presents for Ma, Mel and Gus. Have to be nice to a degree after all; nothing for Justin, he has enough.

 

I put the roof up and make my way down the path. I resist the temptation to use my key and rap three times. The muffled ‘hold on’ has me twitching with excitement. I’m making some ‘adjustments’ when the door opens.


“Yes?” 


“Maya! You’re working for Lindsay now?!” I goggle and although my excitement fades a little, I look forward to the fun we’re going to have ordering her about and threatening her with the sack!


“Of course not! I live here. What do you want?” She looks me up and down. “Well? I’ve got something on the stove.”


“You live...where’s Lindsay?” 


“With Mel and Gus in the cottage. He’s 14.” 


“Fourteen?” I echo before I remember what happens now that ‘he’s of age’. “Oh, of course, I’ve been on holiday.”

 

 

“Yes we know, the party and housewarming were excellent.” She steps back. “It's wagyu, and there’s no way you are going to delay me into burning it.” She snipes before trying to close the door.

 

 

“I need the bathroom!” I declare; she pauses before opening it again. “Thanks, I won’t be long.” I start to head upstairs,


“Use this one!” She points to the cramped and pokey one by the stairs. “You're not using my bathroom! It may have been a while but I know where you’ve ‘docked’.”


Ten minutes later, with a slightly sore back, I’m heading to the diner, wondering what she meant by that.


DINER - NINETY MINUTES LATER


DEBS


I can’t help smiling at the pictures of Thatcher, Powell and Hoover as I sit under them. They are the cutest; how Justin got them to keep still long enough is a secret he won't tell, but Gus gets hysterical every time I ask. 



 

 

“Grandma! Help!” Hunter shouts as he comes in. Luckily, Sirius manages to grab the package that started to slip. “Phew!” Hunter smiles his thanks and joins me in the booth. I’ve never seen him look so happy. “Got it!” He beams, sliding a box towards me. I blush whilst checking the car cufflinks. “They’re gorgeous, he’s going to love them.”


“I hope so.” I sigh. He frowns whilst holding my hand. “You don’t think it’s too much? We’ve only been…”


“No, it’s not!” He declares. “Besides, he’s...here...why?”


“What’s wrong with Elliott being here?” I frown as I turn around. “Oh, I see. He had to come back sometime I suppose.” I close the box as Michael approaches. 


“I’m back, did you miss me?”

 

“No.” Hunter replies as he blocks Michael from sitting down. Sighing, I get out and wave him into the booth. “I’ll leave you to your reunion. See you at home.”

 

“Yes, see you, sweetheart. Around...” I pause as he snatches the box from Michael’s reach. “...thank you Hunter.” He grins before kissing my cheek and leaving.


“Was that my present?” Michael watches Hunter’s departure with a slightly smug look and my heart sinks. I had totally forgotten about his birthday! “Can you give me a hint?” 


“No and no.” I reply, sitting opposite him. “You look very brown.” 


“Told you I went on holiday. British Virgin Isles.” He leans back, frowning when he sees the pictures. “Who are they, and why have you hung them up here?”


“Powell, Thatcher and Hoover, and because I want to.” I reply. “So, are you going to order, or…”


“Come on, just one clue!” He smiles; my eyes are drawn to his double chin. Has he always had that?!


“No, that’s the point of a surprise, and…” 

 

“Hi, Debs!” Lindsay calls out. “I’ve been sent ahead to...”

 

“Lindz!” Michael squawks, leaping up. She looks stunned then delighted as she rushes to the booth. “You little Dickens, how could you’ve moved and not told me?!” He scolds before hugging her tightly. “I missed you so much!”  


“Why would she tell you something you already knew?” Mel states, following her but sitting in the booth behind. “That’s what you said to Maya.” She gazes at Lindsay. “Well, are you going to order for us or shall I?”


“Mel, I’ve not seen her in a month, give us a few minutes to catch up.” Michael pulls Lindsay to sit down next to him, with very little resistance. “I’ve got you all presents. I’m looking forward to receiving mine.”


“Yours?” Mel frowns, then rolls her eyes. “Oh yes, the event of the year.” She drawls. “I’m back here, Ronald!”


“Oh my feet!” Ronald gripes as he limps over and collapses into the seat. “Where do you get the energy for a whole day every weekend? Debs, darling, my usual, please.” 


“I’ll sort it!” Sirius calls out laughing. “I’ve got something for him!”

 

“Where’s...oh you’re back. Join us.” Ronald orders, they take their time moving. “I saw Hunter, he said we can see them later. They’re not being returned. Now, we’re...what on earth is that?!” I giggle as Sirius approaches with a bowl of something steaming and a gift bag. He puts the bowl on the table. “Sirius?”

 

“Turn around; take your shoes and socks off.” Ronald peers into the bowl before quickly obeying. “It’s very hot, go slow.”


“Have you been speaking to Nancy?” He tests the water, looking blissful as he wiggles his toes. “Oh, that’s heavenly. What’s in the bag?”


“These! A pair each!” Sirius takes out the box, Ronald opens it before quickly taking out his phone. “Blue ones are hers. They remain here though!”


“Fine.” He grins, taking the photo; she responds in seconds. “She wants to know where you got them, so we can get pairs for home.” I catch the disdain fluttering across their faces; hasn’t taken her long to fall back into old habits! “And whatever you’ve put in there as well please.”


“Sure, will text them to her.” Sirius grins and goes back to bussing. 


“Ronald, before you get comfortable, let’s swap seats.” Mel smiles. With both our help, he’s leaning happily against the wall with his feet back in the bowl. Sirius brings over their coffees. 


Noticing their linked arms, I grimace. “So how was your holiday?”


“A little lonely without my usual companion, but I’ve brought presents. Shall we go to the cottage to give and discuss them? Giving the ones I got, and talking about the one you’re trying to get Ma to keep for me; you don’t have to tell me what it is though.” He drapes his arm across the booth. “I’m sure I’ll love it, not as much as the one from Lindz of course.”


“I’ll speak to Justin about you coming to Britin.” Mel states.


“I’m not going to Britin. I mean, I am, as the cottage is on the grounds, but…”

 

“You’re not permitted in the cottage. Justin…”

 

“Surely that can be lifted now!” Lindsay begins. “I’ve apologised more than once, it wasn’t Michael’s fault. I would…”


“It’s not just Justin who doesn’t want him there. Gus...”


“Gus…” Michael leans forward. “...is not the parent. Lindsay is. He abides by the rules set down by the parent…” Mel tries to hide her flinch, but judging by the ghostly ghastly smirks, she fails. “And that should start now. He’s been getting away with rudeness far too long, especially to Lindz. Let’s go.”


“I don’t want you there.” Mel states, she holds his gaze until he sits back down. “And if he comes, you both go.” She drains her coffee and heads to the counter. I step aside so that Lindsay can get up; again she takes her time. The conversation they have is whispered, and, judging by the ticking in Lindsey's jaw, not going her way. “Debs, Ronald, I’ll see you later.” She kisses both our cheeks, then turns back to Lindsay. “If you insist on bringing him to Britin, remember it's 30 minutes from here.”

 

Lindsay is pale as she watches her leave, much like she was at the country club. “Lindz, do you want to…”

 

“I will share with the two of you.” Ronald clips out, signalling Sirius, who hurries over. He flicks a disgusted look at Lindsay and Michael as he’s always been fond of Ronald and Nancy. “I’m finished with this. How’s the traffic looking?” 


“Uh, Ronald, it’s a convertible two seater; so…” Michael looks as sorrowful as a serial killer.


“Then we’d better get that lesson over quickly. She’s a quick study; as your bestest best friend, you won’t mind her driving, will you?” Michael gapes at him. They both glare at Sirius as he hands her things. “Thank you, Sirius. Where are you parked? Time’s ticking by.”


“He’s the red E-class Cabriolet, opposite.” Sirius replies handing Michael some napkins. He frowns. “There’s bird crap on the driver’s seat.”


“Oh, Christ!” He cries. “How the hell? I could’ve sworn I put the roof up! Come on, Lindz, I don’t want that to stain!” He rushes out with her sulkily following.


“I saw that car, the roof was up, so how?” Ronald asks as he hands the slipper bag back to Sirius. 


“The window was cracked open. Unlucky for him, Hunter has long, skinny, but strong arms and mischief in mind!” 

 

I hand Ronald $50 with a smile. “From me and Nancy.”

 

BRITIN - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN’S STUDY


JUSTIN


When Maya called to say that Michael had slithered back to Pittsburgh, I readied myself for the fallout. And judging by the terse text from Mel of; Hibiki. Study, 20 mins; it is major. I roll my neck to ease the tension; when I open my eyes, Brian is in the doorway. “What?”


“Michael’s back and coming here. Mel is not happy.”


“I see. Where is she now?” Him massaging my shoulder and hip helps enormously. 


“Judging by the gate and timing, here...” I sigh. I wince as she screeches to a halt and almost breaks the door when she slams it. “...that feels great. You going to stay?”


“If you want me to.” He massages the base of my skull. “But if Mel would rather speak to you alone, I’d understand. I would also make a suggestion…”


“I know, I know.” I sigh. “And I will; as for you, you’re staying. This is your home.”


“I know, I sometimes forget.” He looks sheepish. “It just happened so fast. One second we were celebrating Gus’s birthday, the next you’d asked us to move in with you all.”

 

 

“Do you regret it?” I look up at him. He smiles and kisses my nose. “I’d like to hear you say it if you please.”

 

“No, I don’t regret moving in with you. It was a natural progression.” I grin wider, it falters slightly when Mel clears her throat. She’s been crying. “Can I at least put ice in it?” He heads to the cart, stopping briefly to squeeze her arm. She nods. After shutting the door, he points to the sofa then wheels the cart over. We sink down, he's behind me. “Can we go first?”


“You have something to tell me?” She looks worriedly over her glass. 


“We do, but Brandon and George have it all under control.” 


“Ronald said something about Brandon at the dinner. Why is George involved too? Justin!” I release the glass from her grip and rub her hand. “Please.”


“Michael was in contact with my producers; telling them about Gus and lying about how unhappy he was…” She grabs the bottle and takes three deep swallows. Her eyes widen at the burn, she nods for me to continue. “... we’ve got their phones now, and I’m having them watched. If he goes near them, we’ll know. I’m not sure if Lindsay knows he’s done…”


“She does. She has to. After all, they’ve been bed buddies for 10 years, so it must have come up!”  

 

 

Immediately Brian tightens his grip. “Drink.” He orders. Mel hands me the bottle; the whisky just about wins against the bile. “Give.” After he almost drains it we sit in repulsed silence.

 

“Does Gus know?” I whisper. She shakes her head. “Anyone outside this room?”


“Maya, Ted, Emmett, Drew, and I think Blake. Don’t be mad. I told them to not say anything to either of you.”


“How’d you find out?” Brian’s voice sends shivers down my spine. 


“Walked in on them at his place. They didn’t notice.” She opens another bottle. “She was fucking him with my dildo.” I just make it to the trash can. “It was all an act, this last month. I knew. Deep down I knew it, but I had hoped. I thought with counselling I could get past the lies. But the second he came back, she was...anyway, that’s that.” 


I take the water from Brian; swilling and spitting before tying the bag off. He helps me up. He looks so calm but I feel his fury. “So, now what are you going to do?”


“I’m going to start the process of…”


“Not you. Him.” He tilts up my chin. “What are you going to do?”


“Like I said, I will help…”

 

“Not like that, I can do that. What are you going to do about them?” Mel demands. “They’ve always brought indifference, chaos, and harm, especially to Gus.” She hands me a drink. “I know you, Justin, those snippets and asides are ‘compliments’ compared to the epithets that I know the beast wants to roar out. You’ve always held back because of Gus.”

 

“And I still have to. She’s got her rights, and…”


“Gus said before we moved that he’s happy for me to leave her.” 


I blink a couple of times,  then my smile and mood turn feral. “Tell no-one that we know. Carry on as normal. No matter what they say or do, do not respond. It’s time for this beast to feast!”


BARNS - FIVE MINUTES LATER


GUS

 

I kick the bucket through the open door, the clattering against the rocks calms me down a little, not by much. I wasn’t eavesdropping, I happened to be passing and saw Mom’s car. I wondered why she didn’t come to say hi. I caught the conversation from him being in touch with those people. I smile as Powell trots over. I stroke his beard and he bleats happily. I look around the barn and remember what dad said. I chuckle at the realisation that in the horrid beasts as Momma once muttered about them I’ll get my revenge!

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.