- Text Size +

CHAPTER 24 - SON OF THE FATHER AND THE BATTLE LINES ARE DRAWN


BRITIN - TWO DAYS LATER


OUTSIDE THE BARNS


ZEUS


Whickering, I help steady an excitable Stitch. “Will you please keep still or you’re going to…”


Once again he tumbles, this time Odin helps him up. “Listen to your father; plant your hooves and wait for us to stop moving.” She orders. “Are you okay, Ariel?”


“Yes, Mom!” Ariel calls out from between me and the trailer wall. “Dad is so comfy!”


“No fair!” Stitch whinnies. “You said we’d swap…”


“I tried to but you wanted to look out the slats.” Ariel mumbles around a mouthful of hay.

 

“Still no fair.” Stitch gripes; I want to biff him onto his butt, but Odin won’t let me do that. Not that it hurts him of course, it’s just he’s taken to whinnying when he doesn’t get his way, and I don’t like it!

 

 

“Stitch, you’ve been told about whinnying like this. No boobers for you.” Odin declares, glaring at him; his head drops then he looks at me. “No point trying your Dad, you made that choice. She asked twice if you wanted to move, you said no.” I nuzzle Odin’s flank. As Justin said, she’s a great Mom, she’s firm but fair, even with me! “Have you understood what he’s said so far?”


“Yes, Mom.” Stitch nods as does Ariel. “Me and Ariel are Hunter and Gus’s, and you and Dad are Brian and Justin’s. We’re moving here because this is where Hunter and Brian live now with Justin and Gus, but everyone else will still live there because they can’t fit in this house; so we will still see them. Dad used to live here before he and Justin got hurt. We're not to go with nobody but Brian, Justin, Gus and Hunter unless you or Dad say so, and...and…your turn Ariel.”


“...we’re not allowed on the track by ourselves. We’re not to eat in the front garden, as Maya will get cross, and…who’s Maya again, Dad?”


“Maya is the person who brings the roasted carrots, they are very nice.”


“Can I have a roasted carrot?” Stitch pleads.


“If she brings them, yes, but still no boobers until tomorrow, and then only if you are very good.”


“Yes, Mom, I will be, I promise.” He stamps twice; I feel so proud as I taught him that and Justin taught me! “So welse is there?”


“Who else, not welse.” I correct him. “There’s Gus’s Mom, she’s called Mel - now she has a brown mane and sometimes brings mints, they’re good like boobers. Then there’s Lindsay, she’s got a blonde mane…”


“Blonde like mine?” Ariel shakes hers proudly.


“No, not blonde like yours or your Mom’s, although she does toss it a lot. Our manes and Brian and Justin’s are much much better.” 


Odin whickers sternly; we’ve talked about Lindsay and how much I don’t like her. She didn’t come to the barn much, but any time she did, Gus was always cross with her. And then there’s the other person.


“Now this is super important. There’s a man with a dark mane, his name is Michael. He is not nice at all; is always upsetting Justin and Gus. The last time I saw him was before we got hurt. I didn’t like him before, and I like him less now. No way is he coming anywhere near you, Odin, or our children!”


“Zeus.” Odin warns as my emphaticness startles the kids. 

 

“Sorry, but they must be wary of him.”

 

 


“We promise Dad.” Ariel and Stitch declare and stamp their hooves.


“And so will I. Now come on, show us our new home.” Odin nuzzles my neck, calming me down. The trailer comes to a halt. My excitement mounts as the bolts are unlocked, the trailer is filled with warmth, sunshine and my favourite smell! 


“Zeus…” Justin calls coming in with boobers and a big smile. “...welcome home, welcome home all!” He hands me a boober, I give it to Odin, then to Ariel. When I eat the next one, Justin nods. “Whatever you’ve done, Stitch, you’re not going to do it again, are you boy?” He strokes his ears; although he’s pouting, he does nuzzle his hand. “Brian! Can we lead them out now?!”


“Dad! Brian!” Gus cries. “Wait! Wait for us!” 


Justin laughs. “Alright! Hunter, you come help me; Gus, you help Brian!”


I see Gus streak inside, his arms full. “Dad,...” Ariel looks worried. “...what was he holding?”


“Don’t worry, Ariel, it’s just your tack. Your Mom and I have told you both all about it.”


“Yeah, Ari…” I nicker at Stitch’s shortening of her name; he heard Justin call me Ze once and was looking around for another horse until I explained that it was me and why. “...I’ll go first so you don’t have to worry.”


“Thank you, Stitch!” She neighs happily.


“Coooeee! The Welcome Committee is here!” My ears prick up as Emmett comes into view, he has a box. “Now treats are to be dispensed!” He opens it up and immediately I stick my nose in. “Help yourself, why don’t you!” Happily I manage to chomp two carrots before he gets it away from me! “Now for everyone else!”


“Except Stitch. He’s been naughty; Zeus wouldn’t give him a boober.” Justin tells him. I bump his chest happier than ever that our ability to understand each other is still there.


“Okay then.” 


“Their stables are ready!” Brian comes out with Gus and they’re both smiling so much.

 

 

 

“Okay, family, let’s get settled then we can eat!” Odin tells us, with a bump to his butt moves Stitch ahead of her, Ariel looks to me for reassurance, such a Daddy’s princess. I neigh, slowly and carefully she follows her brother.

 

 

STABLES - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


I’m so happy they’re here! I’m desperate to take Zeus around the track. Yes, he’s galloped, but this is his track. I was most put out when Brian said that I couldn’t take him for a home visit before they came back for good. Stitch is happier now because he got some carrot. First, Ariel snuck him some, then Zeus, but Zeus got caught, so Odin ate the rest of his.


“Dad...” Gus begins; I nod as Brian takes that moment to squat and check whatever the hell in another stall, he’s gone commando. “Really, Dad, we can? Excellent!”


“Wait, what is? I was...not listening.” I admit, blushing at Emmett’s knowing smirk.


“He asked if he and Hunter could take the babies to the falls.”


“Just walking them up; after…”


“We’ve taken Zeus and Odin.” Brian declares, joining us. “We’ll take them up tomorrow.”


“Great!” Hunter enthuses. “Now let’s let them get some rest. G, you want to go for a hike, make sure everything’s clear up there?”


“Can we Dad?” Gus pleads and at my nod they run out.


TRAIL TO TAYLOR FALLS - FIVE MINUTES LATER


HUNTER


This is the first time that G and I have had proper time to ourselves. We’ve been so busy setting their stalls and our room, yes our room, at The Grands houses. Nobody seemed surprised when Dad and I moved into Britin, well nobody except Lindsay, who didn’t look at all happy. We’re thinking the next announcement might be Grandma Debs and Uncle Elliott. 


But ever since Uncle Spiteful came back, he’s been madder than usual. “G, is there something you want to talk about?” 


“You must promise not to tell anyone.” He pulls me to a stop. “Promise me?”


“I promise.” 


We pinky swear and he takes a deep breath. “He’s been speaking to Dad’s parents about me, which is the one thing that Dad said nobody should do! And I think Momma knows about that. I want to hurt them for hurting us, Dad especially, but not sure how.”


Me kicking a rock makes him smile. “You kicked what?”


“A bucket.” He plucks a blade of grass, chewing thoughtfully. “So you gonna help me and the animals get revenge?”


“Of course!” I start to think. “Well, let’s mess with the car again, small things that…”


“God she went on and on about the smallest piece of bird crap on her skirt, he had to take her shopping next day to replace it!” He sneers. “And of course she has to keep lifting her hair up, you know because it’s so hot, nothing to do with the diamond earrings he got her!” 


“Do you know there are magpies around here?” I grin.


“Are there? No I didn’t, where are they?” He takes off his shoes and sits on the bank, sighing as the water runs over his feet. 


As good as the water feels, he needs to be elbowed in the side, so I do. “Clearly your head should be in there to rinse out the Spiteful.”


“Explain and retract that!” He jabs me back, his elbows are like spears!


“Retracted! There’s no magpies, but that’s what we tell her when those earrings disappear for a day!” He grins. “And he has to make like the good best friend and hero and rescue them!” I look across the river; suddenly I’m thinking about Mom’s honesty with Dad. “But before we do any of that, you’ve got to let them…”


“Know what I know?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

STUDY - SAME TIME


EMMETT


Those in the know are here, so that’s me, Drewsie, Emmett, Ted, Blake and Maya; we’re adding another member to this grim committee.


“And that’s what we have thus far.” Brian tells Daphne. She breathes deeply, but before she can speak, the door is knocked on and Gus and Hunter come in. “That was a quick hike. Can you give us a few minutes, we…”


“I heard what he’s been doing with Dad’s producers.” Gus interrupts and sits down next to Mel. “I was so mad I had to kick a bucket. Does Momma know?”


“We think so.” Justin sits on his other side whilst Brian hugs Hunter. We all know that he would’ve told him to be honest. “But me, Brian and your Mom are going to deal with it. I don’t…”


“No.” Gus’s face hardens. “We are going to deal with it. You do what you want to do, but I’m going to do what I want too.”


“Gus…” Mel begins, but he shakes his head. “...okay. However, and this is very important, don’t tell your Grandparents; especially not Ronald. He’s been gunning for them for years; this needs to be done properly. We don’t know how long they’ve been talking or what they know.”


“I pinky promise.” He declares, hugging her tightly. “So are you going to tell them?” 


Justin, Brian and Hunter are chortling. “What? Tell us what?” I demand.


“What happened after they got back here...” She giggles.


Start of flashback

BRITIN - TWO DAYS BEFORE


LOUNGE


MEL


It’s been an hour since Gus came in from the barn. Not sure what he's mad about, but it's been like pulling teeth. However, we have a bigger problem, which is Lindsay. She’s been complaining about a stain on her skirt. 


“You can barely see it!” Ronald says for the fourth time in as many minutes.


“But I only got this on Monday!” She whines. “I just know I’ll have to go back on the waitlist for it!”


“Where did you get it from?”  Brian asks as he helps Justin to a drink.


Lindsay stares at the offending stain. “It took me ages to get there. Also the queue was horrendous.”


“Lindsay, you went to West Virginia, not Mars!” Justin grouses. “Simply call the shop to see if they have more in stock…”


“Or order online.” Brian adds. “In fact, why not do it now?”


“Of course we can do that; what I am saying is that…”


“I’m a little whining princess who’s asking for a spanking?” Brian snaps. “Something you can help her with, Ronald? Happy to hold her down; have handled a few frightful mares in my time. There’s no way she can get out of getting what she deserves.”


“Hmm, now there’s…”


“What a horrible thing to suggest!” Michael froths. “I’m glad I came back now; it seems that some people don’t know how to put other people back in their place. How dare you…”


“This is my place.”  Brian growls; Gus shakes his head at an almost melting with lust Justin. Bless him, he’s so pleased to be in the cottage now as they’re ‘loud and frequent’. “We live here now.”


“Live...you live here?! When did this happen?!” He looks around at us.


“What does this have to do with you?” Ronald demands. 


“I just thought this is something that would be discussed as a family.”


“You and I are not family.” Justin retorts. 


“He’s my best friend.” Lindsay declares. “And…”


“Yours not ours.” Brian declares. “Why is he here anyway? Don’t you two normally connive at his place?”


“You mean convene.” Lindsey's smile is as fake as she’s been for the last few weeks.


“No I don’t.” He retorts before his countenance softens when Justin winces. “You okay?”


“Yeah, yeah, it’s nothing…” Justin begins, only to trail off when Brian holds his chin and gazes down at him. “...lower back, it...it just start…” 


“Turn around, let me see what I can do there.” Brian purrs, the room goes silent as he massages the pain away. “Better?”


“Mmm.” Justin looks utterly blissed out.


“Let’s get you comfortable.” He guides him to where Michael and Lindsay have taken up their usual seats. With a scowl, she nudges Michael, it deepens when Gus and Ronald take the other sofa, meaning they can’t sit together...pity!


I have to look away as they make a great deal about getting into position. The steam is almost coming out of Michael’s ears as Brian tosses the cushions they were leaning against to the floor with a derisive ‘we’ll have to replace them’. 


“Perhaps you should get your father’s pills, Gus.” Michael orders. “And…”


“Since Brian moved in, he’s stopped taking them. He’s all the medicine he needs and has the same ‘knocking out’ effect, but with a great deal more pleasure.” I simper, as his face twists. “So, Gus, stay where you are.”


“Are you two going to stand there all evening?” Ronald demands as he moves the footstool and wiggles his toes. “Sit down, you're creating clutter.”

 

Just as they take their separate seats, Debs comes in. She hands Ronald a bag with a smile. 

 

“What’s this?” He peers inside. “Ooh I say!” Gus takes it off him and snickers. “I’ll send you a picture, although I’ll have to check with Nancy first.” 


“Speaking of presents…” Michael looks around smugly. “...before we discuss the one from Ma, I want to give you mine from my holiday.” He picks up the bag that he’s been clutching like a starving boa constrictor. He hands one to Lindsay, me and Gus. “Sorry, Justin, I just couldn’t find anything for you.”


“I appreciate your efforts.” He returns. “What did you guys get?”


“Oh Michael! Diamond earrings!” Lindsay squeals. When she throws her arms around him and kisses him on the mouth, Brian grips the edge of the sofa. “I love them. You are so good to me!” 


“You’re so worth it, and so welcome.” He beams. “I know! Why don’t we go to dinner for my birthday and you can wear them and the replacement skirt?”


“Replace...oh, you so love me!” She cries; Ronald twitches but says nothing. “When were you thinking of?”


He ponders this for a few seconds. “Not sure. Let’s get numbers first.” He makes a show of counting off. “...I make that six. I shall speak to Maya about booking it. When is she back in, Justin?”

 

"Find a restaurant and book the table yourself.” I retort.


“What about Woody’s? We’re all good with that, right?”


“When did you become a member?” Brian asks, reaching for his glass.


“A member? Oh, I see. The last time Lindz and I last went; so about a month or so ago.”


Justin adjusts himself with a frown. “How does that make you a member now?”

 

“That was a day membership?!” Michael gasps.

 

“Yes, it was on the receipt when you paid.” Justin drawls. “Saves confusion. Reading is the customer’s job.”


“Oh well, never mind, I’ll become a member again and we…”


“Waitlist is six months.” I add. “And how do you make it six people?”


“Six?! Wow, Justin, you must be so pleased! As for how, it’s me, Lindz, you, Ronald, Nancy and Ma.” He gets a clue at Lindsay’s quick look. “Oh, sorry, forgot to add you and Brian, Justin, so that’s eight.”

 

“Actually it’s ten. As usual you forgot Gus, who’ll want to bring Hunter.” Debs declares. “So no Woody’s.”

 

“Eleven. Including Elliott.” I add relishing the pinching of his face. “And speaking of him, you’re not taking them back!”


“Alright, alright!” Debs blushes. 


“What are you guys talking about? That’s the second time you’ve said something like that.”


“My present to Elliott, it’s his birthday on Friday, so we’re going to dinner on Thursday as a family, Chao Asado Barilla. Then just me and him on Friday.”


“We’ll have a joint birthday dinner since mine is on Friday; we’ve always wanted to go there, haven’t we, Lindz? This is going to be...”


“No, Elliott wouldn’t like that.” Brian sneers. “He only wants his family and friends. And as it’s my treat, I get the final say on who attends, so neither you or her.”


“Fine. Lindz, we can go on Friday to celebrate by ourselves, since Ma has abandoned me for a date. I shall book it…”


“It's fully booked…”


“Really? How do you know that?” Michael bristles.


“As the owner, I have to know what my business is doing.” Brian smirks. “And both are doing very well. So is there anything else I can tell you about me?”

 

“What do you mean?” Ronald frowns.

 

“Michael had asked Ethan some probing questions; but because he was less than forthcoming, Michael went searching. When you reach a certain level of financial magnitude, you get warnings.” He glares at Michael, who squirms. “Heed mine...digging works both ways.”


“You seem to do that a lot: digging and going where you shouldn’t.” Gus snipes.


“Are you sure you’re okay, Gus?” Justin goes to get up, but I wave him back.


“I’m fine, Dad.”


“You were just very rude to me, you need to apologise!” Michael demands.


“I wasn’t rude to you, I was honest about you. And I won’t apologise!”


“You know, if I was a child and I behaved like this, my Ma would’ve kicked my ass.” 


Gus snorts and rolls his eyes. “She either didn’t or you didn’t learn; because if one of those things happened, you shouldn’t be the snot nosed asshole you are now, right?”

 

Flashback interruptus

DAPHNE


“Go, Gus!” I clap him on the back, then help him off the floor. “So sorry my bad; was thinking of someone else.”


“It’s okay, just let me be about when you let him have it!” He laughs. 


“So then what happened?” I demand. “There’s no way he let you say that and they didn’t say anything.”


“Well…” Mel grins.


Back to flashback


“Gus!” Lindsay gasps. “That is enough! You will apologise to Michael, then go to your room! You’re grounded!”


“No I won’t; Unless he does and you too.”


“You will…”


“Be quiet, Lindsay.” Ronald orders. “Whilst I don’t condone this sort of behaviour, Gus is a good boy, always has been. So this must have come from somewhere. You’ve been upset since they came, can you please tell us what's wrong?” 


“He said that about me, and you said nothing!” He spits at Lindsay. Whilst she goes pale, he goes red. “I hadn’t done anything, I just wanted to go to the horse show and now Zeus is coming home and he’s back…”


“That beast is coming back? Why?”


“The only beast is you! This is his home, and if you don’t want to see him, then stop visiting like a bad smell!” 


“Sit down.” Brian orders an almost apoplectic Michael. “And if you can't sit down, get out, but not before you apologise for what you said.”


“I apologise?!”


“Accepted! Now I’m going to my room!” Gus announces rushing out before Michael can even blink.


Whilst those two are stupefied, the rest of us are so proud of him. “Well, come on, Michael, let’s go.” Debs declares, pulling on his arm.

 

“Go? Where am I going?” He fumes.

 

“First to mine to explain why you would say that, then to yours.” 


“But I didn’t get my apology…”


“You’re not due one since he was retaliating. Now, Lindsay, off you go…” Ronald points at the door. “...Mel and I will be with you shortly to make sure Gus is happy with your apology.” 


“I still think…”


“If you had thought to defend my grandson, you wouldn’t be this close to that spanking Brian suggested. Now move your ass!”

End of flashback


DAPHNE


I beam at them, then have a thought. “Brian, about your restaurant…”


“Wait, you really own it?!” Gus gasps. “I thought you were fu...I mean fooling them!”


“It’s our restaurant.” Hunter grins proudly. “Mom left it to us, said it was just in case we forgot to cook! Hired the best chefs and everything; knew that Dad wouldn’t have the time to manage it, so Uncle Elliott keeps an eye on things.”


“So what about it?” Brian squirms under Justin’s absentminded stroking. “Wait a sec, I’m trying to concentrate.” He gruffs out, blushing slightly.  


“I shall make it quick!” Daph giggles. “Invite them both to the dinner, during which you will casually mention the weed farm that Justin has and how you’re planning to visit, but not the right place.”


“Why would we do that?” Justin stops stroking; which both relieves and disappoints Brian.


“Because he will let your producers know.” I explain.


“And?” Justin prompts.


“You two need to sleep more in bed!” Gus grouches. Despite his cheek, they both nod and grin. “And if your producers mention it, we will know where it has come from.”


“That's very good, Gus.” Mel chuckles, “There’s one more thing; George and Brandon called me to discuss your grandfather’s will and how it pertains to the dividends. Did you know your producers are setting up another business?”


“Again, so?” Justin resumes his stroking with an impudent grin.


“They had to have used the dividends to do it.” Mel pours generous glasses of whisky. “And if it can be proven that they did, then their business becomes yours.”


“Wow, he really was determined to screw them over, wasn’t he?!” Maya guffaws.


Brian and Justin exchange a look we all catch. 


“Just go!” Hunter orders. They’re out in seconds. Shaking his head, he closes the door behind them. When he turns back to us, his smile is evil. “You know that walk-in Lindsay ‘justified’ by saying Mel could use one of the many rooms in the house as an office and she has so many clothes? I think that will make an excellent bedroom for me. What do you think, G?”

 

“I think we should speak to our Dads the minute they surface!” 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thanks