- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - BEAUTIES ARE IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDERS


BRITIN - NEXT MORNING


MEL’S ROOM


MEL


“Oh my, she is beautiful!” I gasp at the picture that Daphne sent. They will be here later this afternoon. I pull on my robe, and, after freshening up, dash to Justin’s room, but he’s not there. 


I head downstairs calling his name. “We’re in the sunroom, Darling!” I am surprised and delighted to hear Ronald’s voice. “How are you doing, my gorgeous girl?!” He kisses me on both cheeks, as does Nancy. Gus gives me a hug, but Justin is looking thoughtful.


“You’re right, you know, Mel?” Justin takes Gus’s hand. “Gus, I need you to listen. Let us finish, then ask questions, okay?” He nods. “Zeus is fine, he’s more than fine. In fact, he is coming home…” I gape at him. “...so we’re going to open the stables up to prepare for that. Mel, please explain how this came about.” I am still staring at him in shock. “I am serious. I might not ever ride him again, but he needs to come home.” 


“Wow.” Gus mutters. “So when does that happen, how did this happen?”


“Mel, the floor is yours.” Justin smiles.


“Uh, you know the fair we went to? Well it seems that the rehabilitation centre that Zeus was sent to had been trying to track down Zeus’s owner, and weren’t having much luck, but such was their determination, they went around every horse fair in the Pennsylvania area to try and find them…”


“Just the two of them?” Justin frowns.


“No, there’s a team of seven…”


“Why didn’t they just call?” Nancy pulls out her Justin folder. “It would’ve...oh.”


“Nancy? What’s wrong?” Ronald leans over to read. “Ah.”


“This is my fault. I am so sorry. I didn’t update our contact details when we got our new phones and email addresses. I had wondered why they hadn’t been in touch with updates, but you said you didn’t want to hear about him, Justin, so…”


“It’s fine, honest, I did say that. But like I said, seeing him last night, it’s time.” Justin pats her hand. “However, we do have another issue to address. As I didn't get Zeus fixed, when he met up with a lady he knocked her up.”


“Knocked her...he’s going to be a dad?!” Gus exclaims. 


“Yeah, and as a purebred, both of them, the foal is going to be worth a mint. I haven’t seen…”


“Here she is!” I declare.



“Oh my goodness!” Ronald gasps. “Can we see the photo of Zeus? After all, you never know they could be…”


“Ronald, how many horses do you know that look like that and love strawberries?”



“He looks so good, Dad!” Gus cries, taking his phone off him to look closer. “Can you send this to me?!” 


“No.” Gus’s face falls. “Send it yourself, you know since you have the phone in your hand already.” Justin grins as Gus quickly does that before hugging himself, his eyes shining.


“So what brought this on?” I ask. “Yesterday you were hellbent on this not happening.”


“This text.” 


I take his phone. “There is a strawberry field behind the paddock, some days he would just stare at them before turning away. So this is your thing. He remembers and misses you, you both miss strawberries, you need to eat. Who is that from, is it Daphne?”


“Yes but no, she sent it to me but said it was from Brian. He’s the mare’s owner.” He explains. “So they are coming this afternoon to discuss this. Ronald, do you think your attorney would be able to come over for the meeting?”


“Yes, I am sure I could get him here, but why not use yours?”


“Because Lindsay knows what he looks like, and after…”


“Let me make a call. What time is the meeting?” Ronald reaches for his phone. 


“Four.” 


“Dad, I won’t tell Momma about this, but why don’t you want her to know?” 


“Because…” He sighs. “...look, I am not sure why you’ve swapped the Mom and Momma monikers around, you can tell me when you are ready. But for this, she is too cache-familiar with Jennifer and Craig still, and...”


“Ah, good idea. You don’t want to give them another way to you now that that door is closed.” Nancy declares. “Disgusting behaviour.”


“Door is closed? I don't understand.” I look at Justin who looks equally puzzled.


“Seems that since their business is not doing so well, they have been selling your early works…”


“So I am good enough to be a gay artist, but not a gay son?!” He sighs bitterly.


“But every cloud, especially that toxic, pompous plastic cloud, has a silver lining. I took the liberty of cornering the market.” Nancy grins. “Be right back!” When she is, she has a large portfolio. “So, for years I have kept an eye on them. Ever since you came out then gave us Gus.” She beams as she opens it up. “...there, all yours.” 


JUSTIN


Nancy takes out numerous sketches and puts them in my lap. Slowly, I flick through them. Some are from before Gus was born! 


“Nancy! How much do I owe you?! I can’t believe you have done this!”


“Nothing. You gave us Handsome, besides, desperation weakens your bargaining power. Got them for a song. They sold through a third party as well, so with a knock down price, plus the commission, they would have to have paid…” 


“Hi, anybody home?!” Lindsey's voice shatters the joy.


“Hide them, don’t let her see!” Ronald orders. “I will hold her off!” He dashes out to do just that.


Quickly we put them away. “Where can I hide it?!” Mel demands. 


“Gus’s no...um, in the wardrobe in my room!” I whisper, and she takes the elevator up, which I had installed after the accident, but very few know about. And by very few, I mean not her or him!


“But, Daddy, I want to speak to Gus and Mel! We parted on such bad…”


“Go make some coffee!” Ronald barks. “And take him with you! But before you do that, keys!” 


“Keys?” She repeats.


“Actions have consequences. Your mother and I lambasted you. Justin, who I am representing, has not, so as such, you need to hand over the keys to this place. You are undeserving of them…”


“But Gus lives…”


“Comes but does not live here. He resides with you and Mel, remember, at your insistence? And Michael, why do you have a set anyway?” Gus, Nancy, and I gawk at each other. “Hand them over.” The jangling ramps up the fury as she must have given him to them, which explains his ease of coming and going! “Not your house, not your place, learn to knock, both of you!”


“What’s happened?” Mel whispers as she comes back.


“Did you know the Upchuck Michael had keys to here? Granddaddy has just taken them off him and Momma.” Gus whispers back, judging by that expression, nope she didn’t! “What do I do about mine? I always leave them in my bowl. She is going to notice if they are not there.” We ruminate on this before Nancy starts to grin, then rummage in her purse. “Grandmammy?” Gus prompts.


“Quickly, take it off and put this on!” She orders. “So this is the key to the lock up in Scranton. It kind of looks the same, right?” We nod, then I see where she is going as does Mel. “And when they try and use a ‘false’ key in that oh-so-fancy lock of yours…”


“The alarm goes off.” Mel snickers. “And they get in more trouble. How delightful!”


KINNETIC REHABILITATION CENTRE - EARLY AFTERNOON


OFFICE


DAPH


Nobody says a word as Brian comes in. He looks red eyed. “How’s he doing?” I ask.


“Yesterday was always gonna be tough, and in three months we have to go through it again. You think it would…”


“It never will, sweetheart. The anniversary of her death then her birthday. Like you said, always tough.” Emmett is on hand with coffee. “And she was as stubborn as you, but determined to make you a dad, which she knew you wanted above all else. Hunter is a credit to the pair of you. You fought so hard for that little boy, and in the eyes of the law and God himself, he is yours. Now what do you want first, coffee or a hug?” 


“A hug.” He replies, so we all gather around him. Me, Emmett, Ted, Blake, Ben, Winston and Drew. For ten minutes, we hold him tight as he weeps for the loss of his other best friend and mother of Hunter, Cynthia. 


When they first agreed to have and raise Hunter, and she took on the first try, all was good, but then they found out she had ovarian cancer. The only way to save her was to terminate the pregnancy, but she said no. She lived long enough to see him one time. Literally two days after his birth, she was gone, but before she left, she made us promise to raise Hunter together. All was great until her family decided to petition for custody of Hunter. Turned out that despite knowing Brian for all these years, they hadn’t noticed he is gay, and that is against their principles. For principles, read money, for they were also asking for support from him but wanted to restrict his access because of his deviant behaviour! Thankfully, the judge saw through their greed, now Hunter is his and his alone. In fact, he’s not seen them since the outcome of the trial. 


“Can I come in too?” I turn to see Hunter in the doorway, and we make room for him. It takes another fifteen minutes for us to all stop crying. “Dad?”


“Hmm?” Brian gives us ‘the shrug’ so we let them out. 


“Are you really sending Zeus home?”


“Yeah, we found the owner. It’s time.” Brian hands him a tissue. “He goes next week, want to come with so you can make double sure he’s okay?”


“Double sure? Seriously?! I am fourteen, not five!” 


“So it wasn’t you asking for stuffed crust pizza and to make double sure that it was mozzarella, and if they didn’t have that to go to KFC instead, and to make double sure that they have the extra spicy hot sauce before I order, and if they don't go to the Chinese and get duck with extra pancakes, no spring onion, and swap the hoisin for plum, make double sure, dad, and double check before you leave any place!” Brian teases.


“I am going to tack out!” Hunter declares before departing red faced.


“Really, dude?” Ben laughs before following Hunter out. They are so close.


“So, the meeting this afternoon is going to be interesting, but this could provide a solution to the custody issue.” Drew declares, as he looks at the latest scan from Odin. We gather around to see what he sees.


BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


“What’s going on out there?” Michael calls over his shoulder as he heads to the window. “I can see your Daddy heading the stables, why is he doing that?”


“Don’t know. I am still smarting from him taking the keys off of us, but it’s okay. We will get another set.”


“Yeah, that sucked. And how? Seriously, why is he going in there? It’s not like anybody’s gone there for months.” Curiosity gets the better of me, and I am surprised to see Mother following him. “How did he seem to you, Justin I mean?”


“His usual sulky self, whenever Mel or Gus spins their yarns, you should have heard the threats last night.” I grumble.


“Well, at least we won’t have to suffer that power-sulking this evening, as he will most likely stay in his room. Actually, why don’t we go out, so we don’t have to suffer it at all? I think Ma would be working, so we won’t have to pay for supper.” I give this some thought before nodding. “Excellent!” 


“Let’s go before they notice!” I order, and with one last look at the stables, we head out.


APPOINTMENT TIME


STUDY


JUSTIN


I am so pleased that they both scurried away like the brats they are. Ronald was being kind when he said I don’t like Lindsay. In fact, I find her repulsive and him even more so. They both leech off Mel and me, but for the sake of Gus, I’ve kept a lid on it. But now the pan has boiled dry. I wheel myself next to the sofa and catch the slightly reproachful look on Mel’s face.


“One metaphorical step at a time, okay?” I ask, feeling relieved when she nods.


“They’re here.” She looks up at the security screen as a car pulls up. “Going to let them in, okay?” 


“Did you remember?” I am so nervous but hopeful!


“To ask her to bring cookies? Yes I did! Now calm down, it’s not going to be bad. I feel nothing but good about this!”


Ten minutes later, I can hear the familiar voices of Daphne and Mr Sexy...I mean Brian, and brace myself. I need my head on straight for this! 


“So, Justin, this is Daphne, and this is Brian.” Mel introduces them.


“Nice to meet you.” Daphne smiles. “These are yours.” She hands me a tub of cookies. 


“Why are you in that?” Brian asks, staring at me. “From what I’ve heard, you suffered no neck or spinal injuries or anything that should impact your mobility.”


“Um...because…” I trail off as truthfully I have no reason to be in the chair. “What are you doing?!” I gasp as he whips the blanket off my legs.


“Freeing your mind, the rest will follow.” He returns before walking back across the room, still carrying my blanket. “So, shall we begin the negotiations?” I am very embarrassed, as I hadn’t put any long pants on, so I am sitting in my chair in my boxers, a shirt and tie. He pulls out an envelope before holding something up then turning it to me. “So this solves the custody issue, we just need to discuss visitation.”


“You are kidding?!” I gasp, before grabbing the picture from him. “Twins! She’s having twins?!”


“Nice boxers.” His smile is as slow and sexy as his voice. When he takes both my elbows, I frown at him. “And nice legs.” He adds. I look down and realise that for the first time since I was discharged, I am standing and start to wobble. “I got you.” Brian tightens his grip. “Want to go back in your chair?” I look back at it before shaking my head. “I think you have done enough today. Brace yourself.” Before I can react, he scoops me up and deposits me on the sofa. “This okay?” He asks, whilst tucking the blanket back around me.


“Yes, it’s fine, thank you, but it would be better if I could have trousers.” I look across at Mel who seems to be frozen in shock. “Mel! Pants, please!”


“Why can’t you get them?” Daphne queries. “You know, since your legs now work.”


“Because he has a fantastic ass, which for reasons best known to himself, he doesn’t show off to anybody, ever.” Mel picks this time to be truthful and eloquent...seriously?!


I go crimson as she and Daphne leave us alone, chuckling. “So the twins thing…” I prompt for want of a conversational point.


“Okay, let's do it your way.” Brian lifts my legs into his lap. “Let’s talk about the ‘T’ and make our way down to the ‘A’.


I take a couple of deep breaths, put a cushion in my lap, and ignore his snickering!


BRIAN

 

He is absolutely gorgeous! These negotiations are going to take time. I see us working long, hard hours… sometimes deep into the night!

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and construtive, if reviewing. Thx