- Text Size +

CHAPTER 30 - MEMORIES LEAD TO FORGIVENESS AND INSPIRATION


JUSTIN


Whilst everyone’s goggling at Wilson, he hands it over to Brian, my heart is pounding. 


“Is he right?” He checks it, then the box, then the pistol again. “Brian?”


“Everyone but Justin out!” Never has a room cleared so quickly, his pacing is not helping my nerves. “Given where it was, do you think that the shot was what startled Zeus?” 


“I heard a bang, not a shot. So did Gus.”


“Yes, but what if it was a combination of the two.”


“What?”


“Horses can hear in two directions at the same time. What if he heard that plus the shot?” I start to tremble. “Breathe, Moro, breathe. Deep, slow and even. Breathe.”


Ten minutes later, he’s helping me with a large brandy. “Let me just check his file again.” The kiss calms me further. Whilst he checks, I pour him a drink. He gestures that I should neck it, so I do. “Later, we'll have a nice deep bath, soothe our fucked up nerves. Okay, let’s go.”


As we open the door, everyone clamours for an explanation. Nancy whistles for silence. “Ow, but thank you.” I shake my ear. “Ethan, can you take us to where Gus found this, please?”


He nods as we follow, nobody speaks, well mostly, Lindsay and Michael are complaining of course. I can hear Ronald’s teeth grinding, however, we’ve all agreed that no matter what they do and say, in an effort to be told to leave, we don’t give them that satisfaction. We just have to grit our teeth and let them keep digging their own graves.


THE TRACK - TEN MINUTES LATER


ETHAN


It’s deserted when we get there. I look up towards the falls, and they’re heading that way. “Shall I call them back?” I ask Justin. He looks to Brian who nods. The twattish twosome sigh in annoyance. I take my sweet time getting my phone. “Who shall I call?”


“Either of them is fine, surely?” Michael snipes. “They’re not that far ahead, actually.” He turns in their direction. “GUS! HUNTER! COME BACK IMMEDIATELY!”


GUS


“ZEUS! ARIEL! STOP! WHOA!” I yell as they go tearing towards the track.


BRIAN


The ground is shaking. Zeus roars as he thunders towards us.


“JUSTIN, MOVE!” Nancy shouts as Zeus gets closer. 


“Ethan! You have a gun, use it!” Michael screeches, shoving him forward. I pull Ethan back.


Zeus gets between Justin, me and the rest of them. He rears up and flashes his hooves, and even though I shouldn't, I feel very proud of Ariel copying her dad and kicking out too.


“Everyone keep calm!” Justin shouts. “Zeus, talk to me. Come on, boy, talk to me!”


“Who does he think he is is, Dr Fucking Doolittle!” Michael cavills.


JUSTIN


I reach out to Zeus.


“Are you crazy?!” Lindsay shrieks. “He’s going to kill you!”


“He’s protecting him, you idiot!” Nancy snaps. “Be quiet!” 


Slowly, I edge closer to Arial, managing to grab her mane. I pull her to a stop, immediately Zeus calms down. He groans, then noses me out of the way before bringing her under his chin. 


“Dad! Dad! Are you alright?!” Gus hollers as he runs up with Hunter. “What the hell happened?! Why did he do that?!” 


“Moro, you okay?” Brian demands, I nod. “Hey, Zeus, buddy, let me check you two, okay?” She trembles a little as he checks. “Good girl, Ariel, good girl.” He murmurs.  “Where’s Odin and Stitch?” 


“They’re coming.” I point up the path, and she’s galloping with Stitch keeping pace, both whinnying and crying. “Everyone, move!” I order. 


Brian and Ben shepherd everyone away.


“Whoa, girl, whoa!” She slows to a canter. Zeus nudges Ariel forward, she goes to her, crying softly. “It’s okay, Ariel. Momma and Papa are proud of you, we all are.” 


“How can you be so calm?!” Michael cries. “After what he did, he could still trample you!” 


“Once more, be quiet!” Nancy declares. 


“Gus, tell us what happened?” I hug him as he still looks a little spooked. “Take your time.”


He breathes deeply before clearing his throat. “We were walking up to the falls. Odin had led Stitch ahead because of the boobers. Zeus and Ariel were watching the otters.” He starts to relax as Zeus drops his head on my shoulder. “Can I touch him, Dad?”


“Yes.” “No.” Lindsay and I speak together. “Yes, Gus, you can. He needs to be reassured, Lindsay, so stay out of it!”


“That’s my son! He’s a dangerous animal!”


“Dad said Zeus is fine. I’d take his word over yours on this!” Gus snipes, before reaching to touch Zeus’s muzzle. He whispers to him that he loves him, and that all is going to be just fine and we’ll be giving him some boobers. “They were looking at the otters, they were fine, then he shouted. Zeus snorted, and then the next thing they were flying down here.”


“No, G, that’s not right.” Hunter states. “Zeus did snort, however it was after he looked down that he started running.”


Brian and I exchange glances. “Are you absolutely sure that’s what happened, Hunter?” He asks.


“Yes, I’m sure. I was watching Ariel, but he definitely looked first.”


“Now that’s interesting isn’t it?” Emmett ponders then nods. I know he and I are of the same thought. “Maybe he was coming to protect you from harm.”


“Harm he caused!” Lindsay bitches. “He wouldn't have been in that accident if it wasn’t for him!”


“As usual, Lindsay's right. Why is nobody ever defending Lindsay?!” 


“I’m used to it!” Lindsay snivels. It takes everything not to laugh at the look of disgust Odin sports at her pressing back into Michael’s, shudder-heave-puke, embrace.


“So, anyway.” Nancy cuts her eye at them. “Justin, so this is the first time Zeus has seen you at the track, isn't it? Not only was he coming to protect you, maybe he was coming to say sorry?” 


“Oh, Zeus!” I gasp and bury my face in his mane. He whickers softly, it’s when I find myself in an Odin and Zeus sandwich that I burst into tears.


“Let's leave them alone. Moro, we’re meeting you in the lounge, okay?”


LOUNGE - THREE HOURS LATER


LINDSAY


I sneak a peek at the time, then Michael, he winks. We need to get out of here, the atmosphere is oppressive to us. Everyone has done nothing but talk about how sweet it is that Justin and his Cujo have finally forgiven each other! 


And despite Michael’s insistence, Gus has yet to apologise how hurtful he was earlier. After all I’ve done for him, I gave him life and this is how he treats me!


I’m about to refresh my drink when a tearful Maya rushes in. “Justin!” She weeps.


“I knew it! I knew that animal was dangerous! He’s killed him!” I shriek.


“Right, now that I’m the man of the house!” Michael declares. “The first thing we do is get that animal destroyed!”


“Is that wishful thinking, Mr Novotny?!” Michael goes pale in the face of Justin’s wrathful expression. “And why is it your default to have Zeus killed?!”  


“I-I-I, it was just a reflex, my protectiveness came out! They will need to be looked after in the event of your death!” He babbles.


“They‘re provided for in the event of my death!” Justin snaps. “And just so you’re aware that the next man of the house after Brian and me is Gus. You will never be king of this castle!”


“Michael apologises, don’t you?” I declare, gritting his teeth, he nods. “So, why, Maya, were you so upset?”


She smiles as she pours herself a brandy. “Justin was in his studio.” 


“Studio?” Brian grins. “You’re painting again?!” He picks him up and swings him around. 


“Yes, yes, I’m painting! And I’ve spoken to my agent, I want to organise a show in the next few months!”


OUTSIDE MICHAEL’S HOME - NEXT AFTERNOON


MICHAEL


I’ve never been so humiliated, hurt and angry in my life. For him to dismiss my importance was insulting, and then when Ma found out that he’s painting again, she and Maya insisted on throwing a mini party. But was I allowed to stay? No, I was not! I had hoped that Lindsay would accompany me, but she said she had a headache and was going to bed, but then I found out this morning that she recovered enough to join them later!


“Michael, cooee Michael!” Lindsey's normally sweet and sexy voice really grates, I concentrate on getting in the car. “Will you wait a second?! I need to talk to you!” 


“Oh, now you want to speak to me, do you?” I sneer.


“Don’t be like that, Michael.” She tries to kiss my cheek, I pull away. “I know you’re hurting, please forgive me, I went for a good reason.”


“Oh, and what’s that?!” 


“What did I do before Gus was born?” She smiles. “More importantly, who did I know very well indeed?” I give this some thought then shrug. “Art critics, especially one art critic who absolutely hates Justin. We can't get at Justin through his parents, his stranglehold on them is absolute, but with my friend’s help we can ensure that his return to the stage is humiliating, painful, and his last!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.