- Text Size +

CHAPTER 36 - FATHERHOOD AND KIND OF SHARING THE TRUTH


MICHAEL’S HOUSE


MICHAEL


“But babe, I’m just lonely without you. It’s been three days. You said you were coming back this morning. I got so worried when I heard about that massive accident nearby, but not from you…” I wait for her apology, instead she puts me on hold! “Look, why don’t I stay there since you need another night? What do you mean…hang on, let me put you on speaker, am making coffee…” As I grab the jug, some slops onto my hand. “…shit!”


“What happened?”


“Burnt my finger. Wish you were here to kiss it better, babe.”


“Please stop calling me babe…”


“I love calling you babe...”


“I’m asking you to stop; respect my boundaries…”


“I didn’t know we had them.” I scowl.


“You may not, but I always have. Twee names of endearment are a no for me.”


“Mel called you sweetheart.” I pout.


“At the beginning. So why do you want to stay?”


“So they can get used to us as a couple as well as best friends. We're…”


“Not at that stage…”


“We’re not?!” I gasp.


“With them, I mean; this has to be handled carefully. We need to be mindful of their sensitivities. It’s bad enough how it was announced; let them get used to it…”


“How long’s that going to take?” I demand. “Besides, it was Mel’s fault about how they came to know. If she had…”


“As long as it takes!” She snaps, seems she’s still on her period! “We can’t blame Mel for this, the fault lies elsewhere…”


“It is her fault, and partly yours. If you…”


“If I had what? Left Mel? Told her what we were doing? How exactly would I have done that without ending up where we are now?”


“Yes, but cushioning the blow a bit. If you had told her that you’re bisexual and wanted an open relationship, her knowing how close we are, she wouldn't have been surprised. And what’s wrong with where we are now; how did she find out anyway?” 


“You didn’t tell her?” 


“No.” 


“Let’s facetime.” As happy as I am to see her beautiful face, it’s not looking beautiful now. It’s angry and blotchy. “Why did you say it like that?”


“Why have you been crying?”


“My parents are still upset, so I’ve been dealing with that and…”


“You shouldn't have to deal with that alone, ba...Lindz. What did they say?”


“Did you tell Mel about it?”


“It, you mean us? I just said I didn’t. You don’t normally question me, is this a period thing?”


“A period…that’s finished. It’s a knowing you thing!” I smirk. “You did tell her, didn't you?!”


“Again no; did make sure she saw me being extra affectionate.”


“Michael!” She sighs. “What did Debs say when she came?”


“She didn’t, she’s coming today but got caught up in the accident. She…”


“Is here now - that was a crapfest, thankfully no lives lost!” She shouts over her shoulder as she rushes, presumably to the bathroom. “Don’t hang up, Lindsay!” 


“Don’t slam the door...” I wince as she does exactly that. It’s followed by thumping from my neighbour, who's done nothing but whine about the ‘cacophonous crap that pollutes the building’. “...got another bitching coming from 2B.” I sigh.


“To say the least.” Lindsay returns. “Am not hanging up, just getting some coffee.”


“Alright, babe, am doing the same.” As I reach for my mug, I wince at her scream.


DEBS


I’m still in shock, we all are, happily so. It happened so fast, and, on reflection, it’s just so perfect!


“Ma, can’t you hurry up?” He yaps through the door. “Lindsay has to speak to her folks!” 


“Coming!” Flushing creates such a noise that I jar my hip against the sink in surprise. I hobble out. “Has it always been like that, and who’s banging?”


“Yes, and the neighbour. Give me a second.” He stalks out, I follow when I hear raised voices. “I said I was getting it fixed and I will!”


“You’ve been saying that for ages.” A vaguely familiar guy snarls, then a grin spreads across his face. “Hey, Debs! What are you doing here?!”


“Sorry honey, I don’t…”


“Rich, I used to live around the corner from the diner. I had double bacon, eggs, one fried…”


“...one scrambled, brown toast, lots of butter, coffee with three sugars and a lemon bar!” I beam, he nods. “As for what I’m doing here, visiting my son.” I gesture at Michael. “Anything I can help with?”


“I've got this, Ma; just go inside.”


“You’re Michael Grassi, why does it say Novotny on the mailbox?”


“None of your business. Was that all, or is what else you want to bellyache about be banged out in morse code or a note stuck under the door? I need to attend to my guest.” As Michael smirks at his lame ass joke, Rich’s expression tells me that the joke will be on him. “Well?”


“On a housing level, the bathroom needs to be fixed. We can hear it all over the building. And if it’s not that, then it’s the porn channel you have blasted out early in the morning. Either get a bedmate or a vibrator…”


“I’ve contacted the building manager several times about the john…”


“You own your apartment, so you are responsible for getting repairs done.”


“How do you know that?!” I glare at Michael, he told me this was rented!


“As his former broker at Ford and Blakemore, I was privy to all kinds of information…”


Michael gapes. “You’re Rich Willis?!”


“Indeed. I’ve been trying to contact you for the last week about your portfolio. ”


“I’ve had some personal issues that took precedence. So what did you want?”


“Michael…” I growl. “…he doesn’t work there anymore, you need to get in touch with his replacement.”


“It’s okay, Debs, I can give him the gist since it is in the public domain.” Rich’s eyes sparkle. “Taylor Electronics offered a share buy back; as the price was so good, I accepted. You got a good return on the 37% stake.”


“I owned 37%? I didn't know it was that much, I thought it was about 15%, fuck, fuck!”


“Taylor Electronics, as in owned by Craig and Jennifer Taylor?” Another glare is shot his way, pissed now joins his guilty expression. “And when did that happen?”


“He can’t answer that!” Michael retorts.


“I can. He increased his shareholding in the last three months. Now don’t look so sad, you made almost $900K, after fees and my commission.”


“I would rather have had the shares.” Michael sighs. 


“Well you can get the john fixed with that, can’t you!” I grab his arm. “See you later, Rich, I need to catch up with my son. Move!”


“Oh, okay. See you in the diner maybe?” 


“Yeah, it’s on me!”


BACK IN THE KITCHEN


He rubs his arm. “Why were you investing; what were you going to do with the shares?!” When I throw my bag on the counter, his phone hits the floor.


“Careful!” He seethes as he retrieves it. “Lindz, babe, you still there?”


“I told you to stop that. Where were you?”


“Sorry, habit, had that bothersome neighbour crapping on about the crapper…” I wait for their cackling to stop. “...my financial affairs aren’t your business, Ma. It doesn’t matter now anyway…”


“Speaking of affairs, what’s the latest on whatever this is? Are you two a couple and are you straight or bisexuals?”


“Bi, why would we be straight?!” He replies. “I know that Mel and you are shocked…”


“And hurt, don’t forget that!” 


“But it just happened.” Lindsay chimes in. 


“A lot of things where you two are concerned just happen!” I growl. “Will she be living here and your plus one? I want you to give me away.”


“Oh, Ma, I’m so relieved! Not so sure about your choice of partner…”


“Back at ya!” I pour some coffee.


“Are you sure that us being there won’t cause discord?” Lindsay asks.


I turn back to him and gag. “For fuck sake, bring her up from your dick! I don’t want to look there!”


“Michael!” She shrieks, when he turns her to face it. “Debs, I’ll call you!” 


“But babe…Lindz!” He’s staring red faced at his phone. “Want some more coffee?”


“Got a beer?” I toss over my shoulder as I open the fridge, my fury ramps up. “What the hell…” My phone interrupts. “...Lindsay, which one of you took those beers?!”


“Him.” She sighs from the screen. “I said he shouldn't, that Mel was saving them for a tasting or something.”


“It’s one beer from each pack! Justin can buy her more, it’s not as if she paid for them!” He snipes. “You don’t want one now then?”


“No, and neither will you. I’m taking them back, you can get your own with that $800K you’ve now got!”


“Where’s that from and why didn’t you tell me, Michael?!” Lindsay fumes, I’m glad to have set that cat amongst those pissing pigeons!


“I’ve only just found out, Lindz, I was going to tell you after Ma had gone. Thanks for ruining that surprise!”


“My pleasure.” I smile, propping my phone up against the microwave and pointing at the stool. He wisely and quietly sits. “So, to answer your question, no, your presence won’t cause discord. They will be civil to you, given the change in circumstances, and expect the same.” 


“Why wouldn't we be civil?” He frowns. “And the person who needs to watch their mouth will be Gus, egged on by Hunter. Actually, give me the guest list…” He trails off at the glaring from both of us. “...so where are you getting married?”


“City Hall, and the reception was going to be in the diner…”


“Whatever changed your mind?” He rolls his eyes.


“Brian and Justin said no.” I chuckle in remembrance of the phone conversation the evening after his announcement. By conversation, I mean intervention! “So we're going to go to his farm and have it there; about a week later, so the 17th October is the wedding...”


“Since when are you pro weed?” Michael scoffs. “That’s a bit far off, given Elliott’s age, I’d thought you’d want a quick wedding.”


“Michael, how is that civil?! Sorry, Debs. So you’re getting married on the same day as his show? That’s on the 17th isn’t it?” 


“Not anymore, Justin’s retired. And what do you mean weed?”


“Lindz was right at the time of his accident to announce it then?” Michael crows. “By weed, I mean the one that Justin cultivates in Connecticut, if that’s what you call it. Just because the laws have been passed, doesn’t make it morally right!”


“Given what we’ve done, we’re not in a position to take any moral high ground.” Lindsay grits out. “What’s the other change in circumstances?”


“Justin wouldn't take the boys there - they’re not old enough. It’s at Brian’s farm in Madison County. It will be their new home; Gus can’t wait for the new brother or sister...”


“When did you tell your parents, Lindz?” Michael grabs the phone. “Although I would’ve liked to have been there, I’m so glad that they know!” I put my phone back where it was with a glare. “So what are your thoughts on this, Ma, or should that be Grandma?!”


“You two are having a kid?” I look between them. “Jesus…”


“Well who else is giving you a grandchild since I’m your only son?!” Michael spits, whilst Lindsay looks grey.


“Mel, well she’s…”


“Who for and how?” A snarky look crosses his face. “She’s got…”


“...a desiccated uterus?” I glower. “Her eggs are great, it’s Maya who will carry for them. They’re not blood - and you’re certainly no brother to them, however, Brian and Justin are my boys too. We're going to be overrun with little ones both human and animal and....”


“But what about Gus?!” She gasps.


“He’s delighted and understanding. So understanding that he’s persuaded Mel and Justin not to strip you of your rights.”


“He…he has? And understanding what exactly?” 


“And what do you mean overrun with babies?!” Michael froths.


“How your friendship turned to love, just like Maya and Mel’s has.” They’re stunned into silence. “Once Maya told of her feelings for Mel and she realised she felt the same, it just evolved so quickly. Then there’s Daphne and Brian…”


“So Brian is bi too?!” Michael drools.


“No! Everyone that was together when you left are still together. The only new couple are Maya and Mel, well unless you count Ethan and Juri, but they’re more cruising buddies with benefits. Sorry, I digress! Mel is going to bring up the child that Maya has with Justin’s sample with her in Madison County. Gus will spend half the year there with them. Daphne is going to carry for Brian and Justiin - with Brian’s sample as Hunter wanted in on the being a big brother action too - that child will stay with, wait, yes, with Brian and Justin at Britin. And once Brian and Justin are married, all children related to either Gus or Hunter in any way will be looked after by them. These last few days have been a whirlwind!” 


“I see.” Lindsey's smile is a fake as her love for anyone other than herself, I return it. “Michael, I shall be home later. Debs, do you think we can help with the weddings etc?”


“I’ll ask, that’s all I can do.” I take the beers out.


“Ma, you’re not…”


“Debs please take them!” Lindsay declares. “I’ll order some for us now, okay?”


“As in right now?” Him heading to the sink means he misses her pissed off scowl. 


“Debs, I’ll call you in the week to find out how we can resettle back into the family.”


“Look forward to it.” I hang up smirking. “Got a bag for me to take these in?” 


“Didn’t Raven bring you?” He sulks against the counter then yelps when I bump him out of the way to get under the sink. He simmers as I pack the beers into a box. “I wish I had opened the stout last night like I was going to!”


“Ask Lindsay to put a rush on your order.” I snipe.


“Great idea. Thanks, Ma. See yourself out!”


DEBS HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


ELLIOTT


“Here you go honey.” She grins, handing me the porter she brought back. “I’m going to be a grandma.”


“She’s pregnant?!” I gawk.


“By the time the wedding rolls around she will be.” She cracks another. “And if I’m right, she and Michael will cross that bridge to Madison County in no time - and then I’ll tell the whole truth!”



Best American Beers

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thanks