- Text Size +

CHAPTER 9 - HELLO AND A HOLDALL


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - NEXT MORNING


KITCHEN


DEBS 


I wince as he slams down the coffee jug. “So you don’t think he does either?!”


“No, Michael, I don’t.” I sigh for the fourth time, whilst trying not to gag at the smell of what he calls that 'best coffee in the world', which, in reality, smells like fox dung. “But I was told to bring this for you.” I put the bag of rice on the table. “He said the quicker you use it, the better the results…”


“Who did?!” 


“Ted. Said it’s a proven method for drying out phones. Or, if you don’t want to go down that route, just buy another phone. You have the money, you have backed it up, correct?”


“Every day; morning and night without fail. It’s common sense, anyone that doesn’t is a fool.” 


“Then what’s the problem?! Just buy a damn phone!”


“I think…” Lindsay moves the rice to the floor. “...it is the principle that because nobody was permitted to go up there that it became overgrown, which meant it was allowed to spread, and…”


“Do shut up!” I put the rice back in my shopping bag. “He does not owe you a phone, and you, Lindsay, had better not buy him one out of the support money that Justin gives you. That is for Gus, not on your whims and fancies! Especially the one that is my son!” I gather up my things and head to the door, sighing at their behaviour; as I leave the building I have an idea. A so-bad-it's-good idea!


LINDSAY


“How are your legs?” I ask. They look a lot better than yesterday.


“Oh, fine. Rather annoyingly, Mr Boresome not Awesome was right about the water. Cooled it right down.” He grimaces. “So what are we going to do today? I mean, apart from buying a phone?”


“Well, I was thinking since he and Gus are going to be out, and with Mel at work all day, we could lounge around by the pool when we get back.”


“Looks like a great day for it, do you still have Maya’s work rota? That way we can have her let us in, and knock up a snack or two. I hate for her to be hanging about most likely reporting back!”


“Yes, I do, give me a minute.” I place a call to Maya, when I hang up I am delighted. “She’s not working until this evening.” 


“Crap!” Michael grouses. “I suppose Ma would’ve calmed down by the time we’re done shopping. So we could hang around the diner or check out that new bar.”


“We will be going to Britin once we finish shopping, because I have keys.” I jangle them with a smile. 


“When did you get them back?!”  He looks aggrieved. 


“I didn’t, these are my second set. We can get one cut for you whilst in town!”


“Perfect!” He beams. “Let me just get my wallet!” He takes another ten minutes to get himself sorted out. “Sorry for the wait, I was trying to find the card for the tax...actually let’s go back to yours.”


“Why?”


“The service, of course! He’s still not put my address back on as a pick up or drop off after his previous histrionics…”


“We have the best ideas!” I trill and follow him out.


KINNETIC REHABILITATION CENTRE - AN HOUR LATER


GUS


I am so excited! We get to see Zeus! Blake came to collect us, and we’re about ten minutes away, according to Hunter, but Dad on the other hand has been looking nervous. “You okay?” I link arms with him.


“Yeah, but…”


“When I told him you were coming...” Hunter turns in to face us from the front. “...his ears pricked up. I think the first port of call should be the stables, so he doesn’t think I told a fib.”


“Dad, you have his two favourite things, don’t worry!”


“What are they?” He nibbles his thumb.


“Them and you.” Blake replies. “Okay, we’re here.”


STABLES


ZEUS


I know that smell, no smells! I stick my head out and look towards the door. I know that voice too! I nose the latch up and step out. It’s not very light in here, but I would know that mane anywhere! It's him! Justin! I buck and whinny in delight, then trot towards him. He stops walking. He looks scared, why would he be scared of me? 


“He...hey boy.” He whispers. “I got you something. They say you remember these, but haven’t been eating them. Neither have I.” He holds out a boober! He’s here and brought a boober! I close the distance between my muzzle and his palm, and take it as gently as I remember he taught me. “Want another?” 


“Get closer.” Someone says, and I turn to the voice. “Hey, Zeus, it’s Gus. Do you remember me?” 


Of course I do, but there’s a boober! I turn back to Justin and take it, but leave my muzzle in his hand. “Oh, Zeus, I am so sorry I haven‘t come to see you!” He cries. “Eat!” I chomp happily, then rest my head over his shoulder, like I used to before we both got hurt. Slowly, his arms come around my neck and he buries his face in my mane. 


GUS


Dad is sobbing and apologising. Zeus has his eyes closed, just gently whickering. I swallow down the tears. I have missed that sight and sound, as he always greeted Dad like that. “Do you want to be alone for a bit, Dad?” I whisper.


“No.” He sniffs, then uses his mane to wipe his eyes. Yes! This is good! He always did that with him, but those were tears of anger and frustration. Annoyance at the antics of Momma, as I now referred to her as, and Uncle Spiteful, as Hunter named him when we hiked to the top of the waterfall! “He looks great, doesn’t he?” He runs his hands down his back, and his flank. He checks his fetlocks and his hooves. “They’ve recently been trimmed.” Then he looks around the stables. Wow, this place is incredible. I can’t…oh my gosh!” He gasps as another head pokes out. “She is even more beautiful in the flesh! You have excellent taste!”


“He does indeed.” Brian laughs as he enters. “So, want to meet her?” We both nod. “We thought it was best they were stabled together. Not sure how he got out to knock her up in the first place though. There was no damage, and…”


“He can let himself out.” Dad explains. “Of any stable, no matter what lock, he will figure out how to open it. I was so close to putting an electric one on, but realised it added to his stimulation. He would never go very far, just to the orchard or round the track.”


“I see.” He grins. “Okay, now no laughing, she’s very sensitive.” He orders, looking totally serious.


When he brings her out, I can see why; she is enormous! She’s like a barrel stilts. I close Dad’s jaw. “And it’s just two in there? May I touch it?”


“Yes and yes.”  


At first Odin is wary and backs away, but when Brian talks quietly and Zeus whickers, she goes still. 


“Dad, a boober, give her a boober! No, give Zeus one first, then she can see it’s okay!” I state.


“Boober?” Brian questions as Dad selects two nice strawberries.


“It’s what I called them when I was little.” He blushes. “Passed it onto Gus.”


“Ah. So go to it.” 


“Hey, Zeus, here boy.” He gobbles it up. “See, girl, it’s all good. All good.” She still looks unsure. “Oh, I know. Zeus, give. Give.” Both Brian and I are puzzled, whilst Zeus is just staring at Dad. “Give.” 


Zeus sighs before taking the boober by the stem, then offering it to Odin!


“Well I’ll be damned!” Brian gasps. “Double damned!” He cries as she takes it from him. 


“Here, girl. Good Odin, come and take it.” Dad holds out another one. It takes her a few seconds, and although she doesn’t come any further forward, she does stretch out her neck enough to take it. 


JUSTIN


Her muzzle is like silk, and she shimmers like gold in the dappled light. Slowly, I approach her, at first she shifts, but I keep my voice low and gentle until she stops moving. When I touch her belly, I am taken straight back to when I first got Zeus. I got him as a 6 month old foal, but I had been ‘with him’ since before he was born. “So beautiful, you are gonna be a good momma.” I check her underside. “Good, this is good. Can I see her stable?” Brian just points. When I get inside, I smell the sweetness of the fresh hay, then check out her bed. “Gus!” I holler and he comes rushing in. “Grab your phone, let’s make a list! We need to recreate this at ours!”


“Yes, Dad!”


TREATMENT ROOM - FOUR HOURS LATER


BRIAN


Blue tear filled eyes lock onto mine. “I know it hurts. I know. Okay, you ready? Grab my hands and grip really hard, you understand? I can take it. Now squeeze when you are ready.”


I feel the squeeze, then nod at Emmett. I don’t know what sounds worse, the clang of the lever or his cry of pain. 


“How did this happen?” Daph demands.


“It was my fault, I overexerted myself.” Justin sniffles. “I just wanted to make it perfect for them, their stables, then I didn’t notice the barrow and fell over it.” 


“Let me call Mel, she can....”


“No, tell her to just go to Britin and wait for him there.” Emmett asserts. “Brian, go and set them up.”


“Shit!” I hiss, then rush out of the room.


FIFTY MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


I have been having deep tissue massages as well as cold and hot compresses, and although initially agonising, especially on my lower back, my muscles and nerves are starting to relax and spasm less. I felt so embarrassed to be crying and yelping, but now I’m feeling more human. Once again, I am covered with a blanket, but this time it is a weighted electric one. 


“You need to turn, then you’ve got another ten minutes.” Brian advises as he checks the temperature. 


“I feel like a spit roast!” I snicker, then realise what I have said. “Not a word!” He just resets the timer. “So now what happens?” I have to fight the temptation to burrow under the blanket. 


“You get dressed and we go through the paperwork.” He puts a cold compress on my head, and after checking the door, he gives me a quick kiss. “So we’re going to discharge Zeus on Saturday. Hunter, Gus, Drew and Ben will get the stable ready. Just them. You need to rest.”


“Can you tell me where you got this from, and bring me the holdall, please?”


“I will get Daph to send the details.” He calls over his shoulder. “One holdall, what the hell is in here?” I start to shuffle up, but he shakes his head. I am confused as to why, until he holds up my boxers! “It wasn’t me! Emmett took them off. Here you go.” He turns his back whilst I put them back on. “In answer to the unasked question, he noticed one cheek was a little...how can I put this? Clenched.”


“Clenched?” I query.


“Seems that you managed to trap a nerve in your left buttock. I didn’t follow his lead, he relaxed that by himself.”


“Why not?” 


“Because, Moro, when I touch you there, I don’t want to be relieving pain.” He still has his back to me, only turning when he feels my arms around him. “What is it about you?” 


“What is it about you?” I counter.


“We have to get ourselves under control.” He walks me back to the treatment bench, nodding that I should sit back down. “Come on, let’s get you dressed, don’t want you to get a chill.” 


Ten minutes later, I am reading the paperwork for Zeus’ return. Gus and Hunter are at their house, which is fifteen minutes away. The soft clearing of his throat has me looking up, he hands me a mug. “Chamomile and spearmint tea.” He sits down. “Drink it whilst it’s hot, and when you get home tonight, no stretching or using the sling.”


“Yes, boss.” I take a sip. “Oh, this is nice. I don’t normally like chamomile.”


“Personally, I think it smells like piss. The spearmint takes that edge off.” He smirks then taps the holdall with his foot. “So what’s in the bag?” I go to hand him my mug, but he just brings the holdall closer. “I’ll open then you can explain. And invest in a rucksack with a hard frame, it will help your posture.”


“Double yes, boss.”


“Right.” He unzips the bag, then pulls out the jar. “And this is?”


“Blueberry vinaigrette...can you take everything out first, then I will tell you why?” Nodding, he pulls out a large bottle and a tub. “So the tub contains chocolate and strawberry…”


“Boober.” He teases.


“Fine, chocolate and boober cookies, and the bottle is blackberry whisky.”


“Nice. And when and why did Maya make these?” He snaffles a cookie. “Oh, these are good! I must hide them from Hunter! So, answer my question.”


“She didn’t. I got up early this morning and did them, to say thank you for everything you’ve done looking after Zeus so well, just everything. Nancy happened to mention that those are your favourite fruits and casually left the recipes, Maya had already done the cookies.”


“And this?” He pulls out a box.


“That’s the Grade A.” He looks disappointed. “What?”


“I thought we would…”


“Oh, we are.” I interrupt quickly. “But there are different blends. So you can mix your own, and when we’re ready, then…” He smiles then opens the box. “...so, there are eight in here. Starting with the strongest and most popular OG, Hindu, Bubba, Purple, Master, Skywalker, Afghan and Vanilla.”


“Where on earth did you get this from?” He marvels, before closing it. “Are you the Walter White of the art world?”


“Nope.” I snicker. “I have a farm in Colorado. I grow them there.”


“Why not California?”


“Colorado is closer.” I rummage in the bag before handing him a key. “For the box, to....”


“Thanks, but Hunter wouldn’t go in this, so I don’t need to lock it.” 


“I wasn’t suggesting that he would. The reason for locking it, is to allow the blends to co-mingle, so you need to take off the lids first. Although it is best to keep them sealed in the glass jars, I found that letting them play together a bit helps create a nicer ambiance.” He looks astonished. “Let me guess, you keep yours in a baggie?” He nods. “Disgraceful! There are two spare jars in there, use them. So back to the melding: when you first open it, you get that earthy rich first clean hit, which can sometimes take the edge off the need to light up. I know my stuff.” I stand up, testing a small stretch, no twinging, then look at the time. “It’s that late? We should be going?” 


“Yeah. Come on, I will drop you off.” 


BRIAN AND HUNTER’S HOUSE


HUNTER’S ROOM


HUNTER


“She’s so pretty.” Gus puts the picture carefully back. “When was this taken?”



“In the fourth month. And yes, she was. And so brave.”


“And unselfish, which is more than I can say for my birth mother.” He gripes. “The pair of them are utterly selfish, they stay on the right side of ‘good’ so they can live the life they are living. Can’t wait until I’m 16!”


“Why? And have you told her why you’re calling her Momma yet?” 


“Because the support payments stop. It was going to be when I was 18, but then I saw their behaviour, so asked if it could be changed? Surprisingly, Dad took more persuading. He argued that she could go to court to say that he wasn’t of sound mind. And she’s not asked, so until she does I’m not telling.”


“Of sound mind? Let me guess? Just after the accident?” I sigh, getting more cross when he nods. “But on the plus side, you get Zeus back soon, and on Monday, we get to find out what she’s having. What are you hoping for?”


“One of each.” He grins, then pulls out his phone. “Our Dads are on our way up, I should start packing.”


“Yeah, so about that, what do you think is going to happen there?”


“Dunno, but whatever happens we are still going to be buds, right?”


“Absolutely!” I reply.


OUTSIDE BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


It’s not often that it is just me and Lindz here, so I’m looking forward to it! I’m a bit mad at myself for not thinking to get another key cut, but then again, I didn't realise that Ronald knew I had one in the first place! “Hey, Lindz, wait a second…”


“What’s wrong?” Lindsay frowns as she shuts the car door.


“Are you sure that Justin doesn’t get alerted when the service is called?” 


“Yes, I am sure.” She sighs. I have asked her this at least three times today.


“Best check with Gus what time he’s coming back, then we can time our ‘arrival’ accordingly. So I’m going to leave these in the trunk.” I tap the driver’s window. “Park in the garage, but stay by the car. We’re not sure when we are leaving.”


“Of course.” He replies.


“Okay, Lindz, let’s go. I am parched!”


LINDSAY


I’m feeling smug that Daddy, for all his ‘smarts’, didn’t think to check that I had another set of keys. As I have often said, ‘never send a man to do a woman’s job’ as Mother would’ve checked that. “So where are we going to go first? Do you think there are any of those cookies about?” Once inside, I put in the code. We pause to listen for signs of life. There is nothing but silence.


“Right, first things first, coffee and cookies!” Michael decides. “Could you believe it when Maya put them on just as we were leaving?” 


“She is employed to be a yes-woman. She knows what side her bread is buttered.” I reply.


“What the hell is wrong with this machine?” He grouses as it doesn’t seem to be working. 


I look around the kitchen. “Michael. I think there’s been a power cut. Michael! A power cut! We need to get out of here!”


“Can’t have been, the door alarm is working...”


“And is on a different circuit board to the one that the house is on. You know what happens with a power…”


“Shit!” He gasps, and we rush out. “That was close!”


“Too close!” I giggle, more in relief, as we get in the car. “Shall we go to the country club?”


“Yeah, okay.” But he looks a little deflated.


“The cookies?”


“Yeah, the cookies! I don’t care how I do it, but I will be having some of them by the weekend!”


NINETY MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL 


Traffic was horrific, so it took a lot longer than we anticipated. That combined with the warmth of the car and blacked out windows, meant we both ended dozing off. 


“We’re here.” The driver’s voice crackles over the intercom.


As we step out, I’m surprised to be outside Lindz’s house. “Why are we here?” I demand. “This is not where we told you to take us!”


“I overrode your supposed authority!” We both jump as Ma comes around the corner. 


“What are you doing here, let alone us?!” I fume.


“Did you seriously think I would forget how sneaky and mean you two are? Give me the keys!” She glares at Lindz, who hands hers over with a scowl. “I saw that flash of smugness when Nancy told you to help Maya with the dishes. I knew you had to be plotting something! Your turn, Michael. You may have been stupid enough not to have had the first set cut, but I bet you weren’t stupid the second time? Give!”


I want to toss them at her feet, but I daren’t. “It was a good job that we did ‘plot’ something; there’s been a power cut at Britin and…”


“No, there hasn’t, Michael. As I said just now, I know you two. I had Maya shut the house down, pity you remembered the lockdown timer. The explanation you would’ve given to Mel and Justin would’ve been fun to hear.” She strides past us and gets in the car. “As a matter of interest, did you get yourself a new phone, Michael?”


“Yes, why?”


“Oh, that means that Lindz will have to call you a cab…”


“A cab, why? The service is right here!” I object.


“Because…”


“Jesus, Justin is being so unnecessary. I threw up once!”


“And never cleaned it! He had to get it entirely reupholstered. Besides, the person in charge of the service is me, not Justin. I cut you off, Michael, and if you don’t watch yourself, Lindsay, the same will happen to you.” We look at each other in astonishment. “Right, take me home, Raven!” She demands before leaving me, her son, stranded.



Chocolate and strawberry cookies: https://therecipecritic.com/strawberry-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Blackberry whisky: https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/blackberry-whisky

Blueberry vinaigrette: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/40988/blueberry-vinaigrette.aspx

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please if reviewing, be kind and constructive.  Thx