- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brain bleached required in parts

CHAPTER 21 - ...MEANS NEW MEMBERSHIPS


BATHROOM


MICHAEL


I’m so annoyed with him, but also frustrated as I can’t comfort her the way I wish to. I rub her arms. She’s tearful and shivering. “Don’t. Don’t give him your tears.” She breathes deeply. “Good. When we get back to mine, we’ll make the calls, after we’ve had a lovely hot soak.”


“He’s become an arrogant cocky bastard!” She sniffs. “Ever since Brian turned up, he’s given him confidence to…”


“Nothing to do with him.” Justin clips out as he drops the bag and the sweats at our feet. “I’m the same arrogant cocky bastard I’ve always been.” He leans against the door. “Have you made a decision, or would you like to think about it some more?”


“About what?” I fume.


“Whether you’re going to start being polite to me; I’ve given up on respect.” He checks his watch. “Well, let Mel know since I don’t want to hear your nasally and bitchy whines. Also, in case you have another brain fart, unless Mel or Gus wish it, you are not to come back here.” 


I don’t like the way he’s looking at Lindsay. “She’s hardly going to get dressed with you standing over her!”


He looks disgusted. “Even if I were straight, I’d have no interest in what little she has to offer.” Her jaw drops and I want to trample him. “I’m trying to fathom what other reason Mel has to be pissed at her. I look forward to finding out what it is, because ‘she said she’d tell me. When she does, be prepared, as I will help her burn the bridge whilst you’re standing on it. You’ve got ten minutes…”


“We're soaking wet! I need to dry my hair at least!” Lindsay points out.


“That’s what the towel is for. Wrap your head, I’ll get Raven to crank up the heating.” 


He smirks as he slowly closes the door; now it’s me breathing deep. “Whilst I’m speaking to his parents, you find out everything you can about Brian Kinney and his friend Elliott.”


“Do you think Mel knows?”


“About us? No, of course not…” I brush her cheek. “...for someone so smart, she is so clueless when it comes to our closeness. And since she’s not even bothered to come and check on you, let’s remind her that I come first out of the three of us. What are we doing next Friday?” 


“Going to Siempre Algo, she’s been trying to get in there for ages.”


“And it will be my treat!” I squeeze her arm whilst relishing squeezing the rest of her later.


ELLIOTT’S COTTAGE - LATE EVENING 


EMMETT


He’s just staring over his mug at me. As much as I love Elliott, the power of perception he has and his level of persistence when pursuing his ‘line of enquiry’ is great, except when it’s being used on me. 


“Emmett, you do not have the ‘doors’ that Brian does, so open up.” He pours the coffee, then sits down at the table. “If it takes me promising not to mention it to anyone, then I will do so, but tell me.”


Sighing, I pull out my phone. “Ted, Blake and Drew already know, so we can…”


“You’re stalling. Advise them after.” He points to the love seat. “Sit and begin.”


“Michael and Lindsay are screwing, and have been for years.” 


He digests this for a few seconds. “So dinner with Debs will be elsewhere, but they need to be there. Find out what they are doing, but don’t let Debs know. Invite Nancy and Ronald, just so I can keep my mouth shut!” He empties his cup, then takes out two glasses. I make room for him when he brings over the wine. “Who told you?”


“Mel. She saw them.” I grimace. “Has more restraint than me. If that were Drewsie…”


“It never would be, he loves you too much. But I’m going to go with he’d have testicles for eyeballs?” I nod and pour. “Hmm, I’ve got an idea to put a cat amongst the cushats.”


“Who?” I smile at the use of his favourite word for pigeon. “Oh no, surely not?!” I gasp as his grin widens. “You’re not going to tell Brian are you?”


“I promised I would tell no-one, but if you think I’m going to miss an opportunity to get Justin as jealous Brian was, I wonder if you know me at all!” He chuckles.


As we toast, I feel a bit better and look forward to the fireworks.


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - TWO HOURS LATER


LOUNGE



MICHAEL


All in all, today has been entirely frustrating! Despite the nine messages I’ve left, six since we’ve been here and three from the car; his parents have still not called me back. The one light at the end of this frigging tunnel is we’ve managed to get a table for us at Siempre, although she did have a brief moment of guilt, it disappeared when I reminded her that Mel hasn’t called since we left; plus she’s also annoyed with Gus. Yes, he sent a text, but that’s not good enough. He should’ve come to see her go! 


She's still on the phone to Nancy, who called about ten minutes ago and has been, judging by the expression, nagging ever since.


“But, Mother...this is rather short notice; why can’t you two go and where is it?” Her shoulders stiffen. “Well, I think it is my business. The Club and when? Friday, which Friday? This one coming, Mother...I had plans for that evening. I‘m affording you the same courtesy that you’ve just afforded me and keeping that to myself. I’m not opening a mouth with you. I’m sorry you feel that way…” She strangles her phone before putting it back to her ear. “Sorry, I missed that, what did you say? The Taylors are going to be there?” She scurries to my side. “Why does that upset you so much? I see.” I press my ear to her phone, but I can’t hear much, so decide to pour us some brandy instead. “Fine, not a problem, we’ll be there. Well of course I’ll be bringing Mel. She's his best friend after all. Bye, Mother.” She is grinning, and after taking a sip of brandy, gives me a lust filled kiss. “So, Mel and I are going to a board dinner on Friday....”


“I heard, is that what the kiss was for?” I raise an eyebrow.


“No. I shall be bringing you of course, not mentioning it to her! She doesn’t like the club anyway; whilst I’m doing my Duty, you can speak to the Taylors.” I clink her glass. “A new dress is called for…” 


“...and a new dildo to celebrate what will be the start of his falling into line with our ideals!” I crow. “Can you remember where you got that one from? It’s perfect.”


“I didn't, Mel bought it.” She frowns. “What do you use when I’m not here?”


“I have others, but that’s a special one; because it’s ours. Can you find out where she got it?”


“Absolutely! Now let’s get in that bath.”


MEL AND LINDSEY'S HOUSE - MID MORNING, NEXT DAY


KITCHEN


GUS


“So she sulked at his then?” I ask Mom as we start to prepare breakfast. “Did she say when she’s coming back?”


“No.”  Mom sighs as she takes out the eggs; she is looking really tired.


“Mom. Are you happy? With Momma I mean?” She flinches as she turns on the stove. “I don’t think you are. And...and I want you to be happy, so if that means you two split up, then I’m okay with it.”


“I can’t break up…”


“Break up what? The home? Let’s face it, Mom, ever since he’s gotten his claws deeper into her, the home has been fracturing. He indulges her at every turn, it’s like they’re trying to see how far they can push you.” It's very slight, but she nods. “And I heard Dad say that no matter what you have to tell him, he’s going to help you burn the bridge they’re standing on. Whatever it is, tell him first.” She looks relieved. “And can I suggest just one more thing?”


“Go ahead.”


“You party again with Maya. When you came back, you looked like you enjoyed yourself.”


She nods and smiles. “I did, I think I will call her now.” As she reaches for it, Momma’s ringtone fills the room. “What should I do?”


“It’s your call.” I reply, then almost hug her when she sends her to voicemail.


“Call your grandparents, we’ll go to breakfast with them instead. No, scrap that, you go and pack, let me see if I can get you to Ted and Blake’s early.” Although I’m happy about this, I’m not sure why, and it must show. “Getting your permission has given me the courage to start...”


“To start what?”


“Drawing the line in the sand.”


BEDROOM - AN HOUR LATER


MEL


Gus has been gone for ten minutes. When I called Ted, he insisted that he came as he is, only to bring his toothbrush and his PJs. Gus was thrilled when he found out that he and Hunter will be participating in the show. I’m brought out of my thoughts by my phone; I break into a grin when I see it's Daphne. “Hello there, how are you? Hang on, let me put you on speaker.”


“I’m great, thanks. Want to come to the house? Am feeling outnumbered, so have invited Maya too, just waiting to hear back...wait, she’s in!”


“So am I!” I declare. “Actually, can I stay overnight?” 


“Yes! I was going to suggest that. Let me get Maya to swing by you first.”


“Excellent! See you soon!” I chuckle as I hang up then grab the holdall from under the bed and start to pack. I freeze when I notice what’s been moved. My stomach rolls but taking deep breaths gives me an idea. “Make those two lines in the sand!” I growl before heading to the kitchen with it.


DINER - THURSDAY MORNING 


DEBS


I grin as the door opening brings in an excitable Gus and Hunter. Lindsay's face is a picture when they sit at the counter instead of joining them.


“What will you two scamps be having?” I ask as they get comfortable.


“Floats! Chocolate ice cream for me and vanilla for H.” Gus decides. “Also can we have two lots of cheesy toast to go, but not cooked?” His face darkens as Lindsay and Michael join them. When Michael moves Gus’s bag from the seat, he puts it back. “Am saving that for someone.”


“I’ll move when they come.” Michael declares, as they flank them. “Did you have a nice time at the thing you went to?” No response; he looks at Lindsay, who nods encouragingly. “It was a shame that we missed you when I dropped your Mom back home.”


“How did you drop Momma back, since you don’t have a car and Raven was busy?” Gus reaches for his float, concentrating on making sure it’s perfectly mixed. I turn to the coffee machine to avoid them seeing how proud I am. 


“We took a taxi.” Lindsay answers. “Speaking of Raven, do you know what the problem was with the service? And where were your other parents; neither answered my calls.”


“There wasn’t anything wrong with the service. Raven was ferrying the girls and Uncle J the boys.” Hunter answers without looking at her. “Did you manage to get the outfit for your date sorted out, Grandma?” He asks before, much to Michael’s disgust, turning his back on her. I suppress my snort when Gus copies him. “Dad was saying that Elliott was fussier than him when they were shopping!” 


“That date is still happening?” Michael frowns. This almost masks his disappointment. I was close to ‘cleaning his face’ such was his joy on Saturday when they came in and saw me. “I thought because you were working that it had been cancelled entirely. Where are you going then?” 


“A very nice restaurant, and…” 


“Hey, boys!” Elliott calls as he enters with Ronald; Michael’s face plummets and Lindsay looks alarmed. “Have you ordered the toasts?”


“Yep!” Gus replies before looking over his shoulder at Michael. “He’s here, move...please.” 


“How are you two doing?” I call out, reaching for the tea. “All sorted out for tomorrow?” 


“Yeah. It will be my first time, what about you, Debs?” Elliott asks.


“Daddy, what a surprise. I didn’t think this would be…”


“You never do, unless it ‘s about him or you, do you?” Ronald interjects before staring at Michael. 


“Is there something wrong, Mr Peter…”


“As I said, you’re in his seat.” Gus snipes over his shoulder. 


“And you’re in mine, Lindsay.” Elliott sighs; she squirms as his breath hits her neck. They  quickly get up but now there’s nowhere for them to sit and be able to eavesdrop. Slowly, they move towards the tables at the front, their faces mottled with frustration.


MICHAEL


We have two table choices: one that’s covered in mugs, and the other mugs and plates. “I think we should go to Woody’s.” Lindsay announces; I couldn’t agree more! 


It doesn’t take us long to walk there, but the silence is unnerving. “What’s wrong? Is it your Daddy being there?”


“Oh no, I couldn’t give a shit about that. No, it’s Mel. She’s been really off with me.”


“Why do you care how she feels?” I bridle. 


It wasn’t until we’d spent so much time together that I realised how much I hate that she won’t leave her. I know she stays because of the life that being his Mom brings her, but I didn’t want to admit to myself, until now, how much I like having Lindsay to myself. It was great that she wasn’t rushing back. It was like when we first met, the first flush of giddy friendship as she called it. When we headed back to hers the next morning, we were surprised to find Mel not in. We expected her to be sitting on the stairs glaring at the door, as usual, but the house was silent and cold.


At first we thought she’d deliberately turned off the heating, but when we went to check, the boiler was making an odd noise before it shut down completely. When she finally picked up and we told her what was happening, she said to organise an engineer and that she and Gus would stay with Justin until then. It wasn't our fault that it took three days for it to be fixed.


“It’s not that I care in that sense, but she didn’t seem to.” She sighs; now I’m puzzled. “What I mean is, normally she is annoyed by the time we spend together. I like seeing her annoyed about us, keeps her on her toes.”


“True. It ruins it when she’s not frothing…”


“I suppose the heating not working allowed my absence.” She ponders before stopping in her tracks. “When did that happen?” She points at Woody’s. 


I look at it, then her. “No idea. Why are there shutters?” I take a closer look. “Come see, I think these are the same ones that he has at the house!” Whilst she checks the shutters on the windows, I check out the front door. It’s been changed, now it’s metal with the name inscribed. We both jump as the shutters clang into life.


“At least we’ll be able to get a drink soon.” She sighs. “Let’s wait in the garden.” We head around the back before gaping at another change. Woody’s has a walled garden, which had an open archway as an entrance, but it now a door like the front one. “Oh, that’s ridiculous! Woody’s doesn’t need this, it’s Pittsburgh not Beirut!” She grumbles, looking at her watch. “ I could really do with a drink, having had that disgusting oaf breathing down my neck!”


“Yeah, he’s a creepy letch.” I rub her arm, whilst checking we’re still alone. “Let me help you out.” Five minutes later she’s smiling. “Better?”


“Much.” She links our arms and we walk back around. There’s already a queue; it doesn’t take us long to get to the front. “What do you want, fancy some champagne?”


“Um, yeah, but a cocktail not a bottle. We’ve got to go shopping, remember?”


“I never forget shopping, Michael, you should know better than that.” She laughs.


“Excuse me!” Someone calls out as we head to the bar. “I need to check your membership cards!” We turn to the guy sitting in the alcove. “You won’t get served without them.” We stare at him. “Do you have them?”


“Since when did the ‘patrons’ need cards?” I demand.


“When it became a member’s only club of course.” The guy returns. “Cards, please, or we can do a day pass for you, if you’ve not received them yet. I would need a credit card, not cash; for our records, you understand?” Lindsay nods and hands hers over; we wait for him to hurry up. “Sorry, the system is a bit slow. That will be $100.” 


“How much and what for?!” I demand.


“The fee.” He replies. “Shall I charge it, or can I admit someone else?”


“Fee?” She fumes. “I know the owner, we’re two of his…”


“Closest friends. We hear that a lot. If there’s going to be an issue with your card ma’am, perhaps the gentlemen should pay instead?” 


“Just charge it, will you?” I demand as I hand mine over; again the system is ‘running slow’. When he hands it back, he’s smirking. “Want your receipt?” I stuff both in my wallet. “Enjoy your stay and play nicely!”


I bite my tongue and lead her through new swing doors, it's been redecorated to a high end spec. “Grab that nook.” I order and head to the bar. Ten minutes later, I join her with the cocktails. “I’ve ordered some nibbles, the hearty selection.” We take in the surroundings. Personally I think its out of step with the grittiness that is Liberty Avenue. My opinion is confirmed when the nibbles arrive. Admittedly, I’ve not had them here before, but what arrives is very posh looking.


“Good choice, Michael, it looks delicious!” Lindsay exclaims and pats my knee. “What do we have?”


“Stuffed potato skins.” The waitress replies. “Will there be anything else?”


“No, that looks more than enough!” Lindsay chuckles. “Let’s dig in.” It rankles that it is so great we had to have another one and two more cocktails to wash it down with!


An hour later, we’re making our way, slightly tipsily, to the mall, I sobered up pretty quickly when I got home and checked my account; Woody’s charged me $150 for a day membership! This is on top of $90 for the food and drink...I can’t wait to speak to his parents!


COUNTRY CLUB - FRIDAY EVENING


DINING ROOM


LINDSAY


I scan the room for the Taylors. Michael’s also trying to find them. This gives me a break from his complaining about how much he was charged yesterday. I understand thoiugh, I would hate to be paying into Justin’s coffers, it’s not as if he needs the money for a start! I just don;t want to hear about it every second. He's making his way back shaking his head. I don’t understand it; I could’ve sworn that Mother asked me to be here as she didn't want to be in the same room as those ‘traitorous scumbags’. I billed and cooed in agreement of course. Michael stops to grab two drinks, he grimaces after he sips. “What’s wrong?”


“Not a patch on the one yesterday, though at that price it should be way above par.” He grumbles then frowns. “I thought Daddy wasn’t coming.” He nods behind me. 


“So did I.” I fume as this evening is turning into a huge waste of time.


“Lindsay, Michael.” Daddy clips out by way of greeting; I’m at a loss to understand why he’s so sniffy with us, we’ve done nothing wrong! “I can’t wait to get out of here.” 


“When did you arrive and why? I cancelled dinner plans for this.” His gaze is baleful. “Well, I did, you should’ve called me so we could’ve gone home to spend some time with Mel.” 


“The pair of you spending time with Mel, sounds like fun.” He sniffs. “What will you be doing tomorrow, Michael? Since Lindsay will be busy.”


“Helping her with what she’s doing.” Michael replies. “Isn’t that right, Lindz?” I nod and try to think what I could be doing as I’ve no plans. “Which is…”


“Lindsay…” Daddy’s expression is filled with disappointment. “...surely you can celebrate your anniversary with Mel without Michael’s presence? You don’t seem to be spending much time with her these days.”


“Firstly, it’s not our anniversary tomorrow…” I state. “...and secondly, we spend plenty of time together, it’s just this week with the boiler breaking, I…”


“Chose to stay with your best friend instead of at the cottage with your wife and child.” I stiffen at the censorious tone in Mother’s voice. “And what great event did you have in mind? She never mentioned anything when we spoke earlier.”


“It’s a surprise for her...” Michael chimes in, then realises how that sounds. “...a surprise for both of them, from me.” He hurriedly adds. 


“A surprise? How nice.” Daddy sneers. “Why not give it to Lindsay now then she can take it with her. You have it with you correct?” 


“It’s at home. She can take it tomorrow.” He returns then signals the waiter. “Another drink, Lindz?” 


“Tonight. Give it to her tonight.” Mother orders. “We’ll drop you off, Michael, Lindsay will be sleeping with her wife, so they can celebrate the day they met first thing in the morning.”


Before either of us can object, the maitre’d announces that dinner is served.


DINING ROOM - 15 MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


As I make my way to our table, I’m annoyed. The Taylors are a no show, and I’ve had to change the date and names on the spa voucher that I got for us to celebrate the day that we met in college; which cost me an extra $150. Before I get to our table, something catches my eye and that’s Ma. She’s with that letchy Elliott guy! I can’t believe it, here, of all places! But seeing that Nancy and Ronald are with them tempers my annoyance, at least Lindz and I can bitch in peace!


Then I have another stroke of luck, it’s the Taylors! I quickly follow them to reception but before I can get their attention he pulls her to a stop. “Pull yourself together, Jennifer!” He snaps. 


“I am together! I just can’t believe this has happened!” She sniffs. “What do we do now?”


“There are other clubs. We…” He trails off when she glares at him. “...alright, alright, maybe we can get a recommendation?”


“From who? And for which club? You know the drill. We need to be residing within a ten mile radius of it, and for at least six months!” She hisses. “How has this usurping been managed? When did he start attending? For fuck sake, this was the one place we could get away from the shame of him!”


“Mr and Mrs Taylor…” The Club manager looks unimpressed. “...your credit and membership cards please” I’m astonished as he cuts up the membership ones then after swiping it hands the credit card back. “The refund has been issued. I do hope you enjoy the next club you join.”


“There’s due process! I know there is, you can’t just arbitrarily kick us out!” Craig protests. 


“Which was followed. You reside outside the residential zone. You may, of course, attend the bar as a guest, but the dining room and other areas are for members only.” 


“After all this time, with impeccable behavior, you treat us like this?!” 


“Impeccable?” The Club Manager scoffs. “Your last four payments were only paid on the red reminders. That is the first tenet of membership, fees are paid on time. Graham, please, could you deal with these members of the public?”


I head back to Lindsay, keen to let her know what’s happened, but am brought up short by who is at our table. What the hell are Justin, Mel, and Maya doing here?! 


“Michael, how nice of you to finally join us.” Justin drawls. “Was there a very large queue? I thought this only happens with the ladies.”


“What are you talking about?” I grouse as I take the seat opposite, instead of next to Lindsay; she is flanked by Maya and Mel; she looks as happy as I feel. 


“Lindsay said you were going to the bathroom, did you make it? You seemed to be in a hurry?” Justin replies as he puts two phones on the table then signals the waiter. “He's deigned to join us, you may take our orders." The waiters snickers but stops when I glare at him. "Looks like they’re having fun.” He gestures behind me. I scowl as I see Ma and ‘company’ laughing and talking, my turn to be a snarky bastard.


“Speaking of dates…” I sip my water. “...no Brian? And, Maya, I’m surprised to see you here.”


“Maya is a club member.” Mel smiles. “Has been for years. This is not Brian’s thing, but he and she are going to be members of another club, as are the rest of our new friends.”


“What one’s that?” I check out the menu; I’ll say one thing for this place, at least the price of the food matches the surroundings! 


“Woody’s, just like Nancy and Ronald are going to be. They’ve transferred their membership to...”


“Woody’s?! They’re hardly the clientele!”


“The same is said for you, but here you are.” Justin snarks, making Maya and Mel chuckle.

 

I notice Lindz's expression, she looks shocked and hurt. “Are you alright, Lindz.”


“Yes, I was taken unawares that’s all.”


“With what? You’re worrying me.” I start to rise, but am stopped by a hand on my shoulder.


“Sit down.” Ronald orders as he squeezes hard. I try not to wince..”She’s fine, just a little put out that the membership of the club was not transferred to her like she imagined it would be.”  


“It’s a family membership. I thought..” Lindsay begins.


“Wrongly. Again. As you well know, Debs is family and it’s our membership to do with what we want. Stop sulking and enjoy the rest of your evening. We shall be leaving at midnight, the pair of you will be ready. I don’t want to be stuck in traffic because of your dawdling.” He strides around to Justin’s side and takes his phones. “I will get them back to you on Monday. Good job Brandon remembered, eh?”


“Yes. it was.” Justin grins, Ronald kisses his cheek before heading back to his table.


“Something wrong with your phones, Justin?” I ask.


“Nope. Those belonged to my producers. Now that I’m the sole owner of Taylor Electronics, I have a few loose ends to deal with. One of which was securing their phones. Since they’re no longer on the board, they don’t get to keep them. Among many other things.”


LINDSAY


I suppress my gasp of shock. Sole owner?! How?! When?! I risk a look at Michael, who has gone as white as a ghost. He avoids my gaze, which has me hoping that he hid his number before he placed any calls to the Taylors; but if he didn’t, I pray that nobody calls him back! 




Potato skins: https://www.thehomechannel.co.za/best-ever-potato-skins/

 

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx