- Text Size +

CHAPTER 33 - DECLARATIONS, GAME PLAY AND REVELATIONS


MAYA


“Are you serious?!” Gus and Hunter demand. 


“Yes.” Mel smiles. “Your Dad and I will start the process to eradicate her, and therefore him, from our lives; after all, where she goes he follows.”


“We mean Grandma Debs and Uncle Elliott, are you two serious?” Hunter gabbles. “You weren’t all saying that to do this, you’re really getting married?”


“Yep.” Elliott grins. “Want to be an usher?”


“Yes, me and Gus both, right? And Dad’s giving you away!” He beams.


“Of course!” Elliott replies, before sighing. “About their expulsion, what do you think they will do?”


“Once they recover from the shock, he will come to me, all smiles and charm.” Debs grimaces. “First, he will congratulate me. Then he will try, but fail to get me to dump you using as much guilt and guile as he can.”


“What? Why?” Nancy frowns.


“Because it worked the last time.” 


“What last time?” Elliott puts an arm around her. “Ah, is this about Carl?”


“Yeah.” She sighs sadly. “I was dating him for four years. No, he wasn’t the most open minded of cops…” 


“You dated a cop?!” Nancy gasps, pressing a glass of brandy into her hand. “Sit down, Debs, can the boys stay?”


She nods and sits. “He’d come into the diner every so often, thought nothing of it at first. Then one night, he came in just as we were closing, I thought there was a problem - a couple of nights before a dancer had gotten roughed up outside Babylon.” 


“Babylon, as in your club?” Brian frowns.


“Wasn’t mine then.” Justin states. “I bought it because of Debs. Excuse me a sec, yes this is Justin Taylor…” As he moves away to continue the call, Brian nods for Debs to continue.


“And the Avenue thanks him.” Debs smiles. “It was owned by a creep called Sapperstein; let’s just say he didn’t keep it well and leave it there. So Carl came in; after a bit of small talk and shuffling asked me out. I was stunned but intrigued enough to say yes. For the first six months I didn’t take it seriously, but the more I got to know him, the more I liked. I finally introduced them after about a year. Although he was shocked, he was fine, but the longer we dated, the less fine he got. It was in the third year that the change started. He began to see this guy, but was coy and snarky if I asked about him. They split up after he said that he lied about him being Hiv+. Then Michael got sick. It took forever to get him to go to the doctors. Carl understood, but understandably got fed up with the constant calling on my time; thankfully we're friends again now. When he got the all clear, I was relieved but didn’t date until you. I’ve always thought that Michael lied, especially as Lindsay never said anything about it.”


“What an absolute turd!” Daph sighs. “You’re still friends, that’s something.”


“Yeah. He and Karen are very happy, that’s his new lady.” Her face clouds briefly. “Michael took great pleasure in telling me now I come to think of it.”


“He takes Schadenfreude too far, that fuckwit!” Mel growls. “But back to the original question. Can you call George and Brandon and get it started immediately, Justin?” She taps him on the shoulder. “Oh, sorry!” She backs off when she realises he’s still on the phone. “I need to grab all the paperwork from you, Nancy.”


“Of course; as loathed as I am to do it. we need to set plans in motion too, Ronald.” Nancy tops up everyone’s glass. “As of today, she’s no longer family.” She sighs sadly. “It’s my own fault. I’ve gotten tougher over the years, especially when I saw she was hurting Handsome so much, I hoped that taking her home would get her to behave, but…”


“...she has another bank, who loves to fulfil her every wish and dream.” Justin adds, pocketing his phone. “What did you want me to do, Mel?”


“Speak to George and Brandon to get things started.” Justin grins and waggles his eyebrows. “Is that who you were talking to?”


“Yep. He’s been on standby ever since we found out. I was just waiting for you.”


“On standby for what?” Brian tips his chin up; Justin’s smile is lusty and evil.


“Restraining order for this place. Removal as a contact for Gus’s school. Cancellation of the credit card…”


“She had a credit card?!” He gasps.


“With me, which Justin generously paid.” Mel explains.


“May I continue?” Licking his lips, Brian nods. “Blocking her from access to all bank accounts. Cancellation of her unused gym membership; all the beauty appointments she booked for the rest of the year, removal from all store listings, country club membership plus mailing list and finally the grocery account.” Their kiss stays just this side of proper. “And cancelling her mobile, all of that is just for starters.”


“Wonder how they’re going to find their way back to his?” Gus grins.


“What do you mean?” Daph frowns.


“Don’t ask me, ask Mom. I saw you sneaking back from the garage laughing!”


“Mel? What did you do?!” I demand, she merely smiles into her glass.


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - NEARLY MIDNIGHT


MICHAEL


After spending 40 minutes trying to find the keys, I had to buy a map and rely on her skills, which she resentfully did - I bet it was Brian who factory reset the satnav! Yes we could’ve taken a cab, but there was no way I was leaving my car. At least Ma was good for something, her suggestion of a hider key meant we could get in after we were thrown out with no chance to take much!


“Dare I ask how you’re feeling?” I ask quietly. Apart from giving me the directions, she’s not spoken.


“Numb and hurt.” She murmurs, covering herself with the blanket on the sofa. I join her, she leans against me sighing. “For her to announce that in front of everyone, especially Gus…” 


“I’m having some wine, want some?” I am seething that she’s thinking like that when we should be planning our lives together! I hand her the wine with a smile, which she doesn’t return. “Why does it matter who it was announced in front of? Yes, that’s not ideal, but at the end of the day, it’s done, we’ve got to look forward.”


“Forward to what?” She sighs, taking the wine and draining it. “I didn’t have a chance to explain.”


“Explain what and to whom?” I wait for her to top up her glass. “Lindz?”


“To Gus, my parents. I would’ve told them it was a drunken one off or something.”


“We’ve been sleeping together for ten years!” I grit out. “Do you regret it?”


“I know, and of course I don’t. However, a drunken one off is easier to forgive, isn’t it?” When she looks up I have to concede that she’s right. “She would forgive me although we’d most likely have to have couples counselling; knowing what a militant dike she is!” We snicker at that. “For someone so observant, how didn’t she notice that I’m bi?!” 


I kiss her head, delighted that she’s finally admitted it; for now that’s enough. “Do you want to call them now or wait until the morning?”


“The morning!” She retorts, then kisses me softly. “Sorry, I’m just so mad at them for treating us like this. Once I’ve explained, you and I may have to stay apart for a while but we will see each other like we always do.”


“Shall we go to bed then?” I smile.


“Just to sleep, I’m so tired.” She yawns; although disappointed, I nod and follow.


BATHROOM - THIRTY MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


Alone at last! “Won’t be too long.” I call, closing the door; oh how I regret having an overnight bag here; at least I could get a break from him after this dreadful evening.  


“Do you want to finish the wine?” He asks, entering without knocking; oh you’re not starting this bullcrap of invading my privacy!


“No thanks, like I said I just want to sleep.” 


“Fine.” He gripes. “I’ll go watch TV and finish it, alone.”


“Good night.” I blow him a kiss whilst firmly shutting the door.


I want to cry when the Batman theme tune blares out, he’s watched it four times in two days! As he loudly sings along, it pains me to admit that I can’t live with Michael! Yes, he's provided me with relief from the doldrums of being a wife and mother; however those doldrums gave me respite from him! 


As Batman gets louder, his delight that to his mind, I’ve finally ‘come out as bi’ is exasperating! I've not done it for him, like he thinks. I’ve always been curious; so boredom and his obvious lust kept us bedmates. Once back in the fold and our ‘estrangement’ becomes permanent; he can’t really be surprised when I leave Mel for Juri, after all I saw how he desires me!


RIVERBANK - NEXT AFTERNOON


BRIAN


I smile at the otters playing, we all turn at the rustling. “Hey, Milo.” I call as my favourite racoon wends her merry way. She and her family followed us one day and decided that they prefer it here. All the animals - well the furry kind - have reached an accord and live harmoniously.


It's a beautiful day, a cloudless pinky-blue sky. I’m at peace after the familial and weather related thunderstorms - though how long that will last once they realise what’s about to befall them. I lean back into his embrace sighing as he kisses and nibbles my neck.


“Are you still tender?” He murmurs.


“Delightfully so.” I return. 


“What made you take me to meet her?”


“Well…” I swivel around to get him in my lap. “...Cyn said that I shouldn't be one of those people who die with regrets. She would’ve loved you, Moro, but not as much as I do.”


“I love you too, Floga.” His nose nuzzling turns into a languorous making out, I lift his top, but our names being called puts the brakes on that. “She’d better be quick!” He grumbles, whilst I do up my zip, and try not to scowl too much at Debs. 


“Sorry!” She declares as Nancy, Mel and Ronald bring up the rear. “Juri, thought right, Michael and Lindsay were by the track on the day of your accident; not in the house like they said!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Pleease be kind and consturctive, if reviewing. Thx