- Text Size +

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 13


 





When Brian got out of bed the next morning, his world was very quiet. He had spent a lovely evening with Bree reviewing Bree business and Kinnetik business. As much as Brian wanted to hear all about her and her school projects, Bree wanted to know all about the latest campaigns and Brian’s trip. It made for a strange but interesting conversation. No one in the cabin was going to argue with them, let alone interfere with father and daughter.


Brian quickly showered and brushed, noting that his own internal clock had indeed awakened him in plenty of time to make breakfast for the household. He quietly went about his business until alarm clocks and the aroma of wholewheat pancakes and turkey sausage brought everyone into his kitchen.


“Orders up!” Brian announced, slapping the counter as the men headed for the coffee and the kids for the milk and juice.


“Is the bus picking up the kids?” Brian asked no one in particular.


“I’m taking them,” Bobby announced already dressed to the nines for a meeting. “It’s easier than having the bus try to go around a bulldozer or some other truck.” Brian nodded. There were a lot of big vehicles still parked on the lane. Brian had intentions of doing a little inspection of the new cabin later on. John arched an eyebrow and nodded to Brian as if reading his brother’s mind.


When bellies were full and kisses and goodbyes all doled out, the cottage was once again quiet. The kids went with Bobby. Justin followed John out so they could consult about the paintings Justin wanted to do in the cabin. Brian sipped one more cup of coffee as he cleaned up the dishes and pans, deciding on his course of action.


 


*****

 



Stepping out of the sun porch door and into his garden, Brian surveyed his kingdom. He noted that all the summer annuals were gone, replaced by colorful fall mums. Todd had been busy. Brian smirked, the kid was good. Not so much a kid; Todd was younger than Brian but older than Justin, barely. But he did know landscaping. Brian’s garden was pristine, the hedges trimmed and not a leaf out of place. He inhaled the crisp morning air then sauntered through his garden and arbor covered path to the greenhouse.


Warm moist air first assaulted Brian’s senses, closely followed by the fragrance of hundreds of blooming flowers. Brian had missed his home, his oasis in the middle of the world. He was okay with being the head of a multimillion dollar empire as long as he had his family, and this, to come home to. Brian slowly walked around, gently caressing blossoms and noting which plants needed watering or dividing. He eventually came to one of his most favorite places in his garden, the koi pond. A tribute to John’s engineering and ingenuity, the cascading waterfall of the pond never ceased being a fascination for Brian. He sat on the edge of the pond watching the fish leisurely swimming in their blissful environment.


“Good morning,” Tom said gently as he approached Brian and the pond. Brian stood up, beaming a smile as he drew Tom into a bear hug, patting the shorter man on the back.


Not expecting such an enthusiastic greeting, Tom blushed. “How was your trip?” Tom asked when he recovered his wits.


“Not half as exciting as yours seems to have been so far,” Brian stated with an arch of his brow.


Tom’s blush deepened. “What have you heard?”


“Not much other than my second favorite gardener has been spending a hell of a lot of time on the lane lately.”


“Second favorite?”


“Bree’s the first,” Brian said with pride. “And apparently you’ve found God in a shack in the woods beyond the stream somewhere,” Brian blasphemed.


“I found God a long time ago,” Tom sternly corrected. Brian held his hands up in surrender. “But I’m beginning to hear a different calling,” Tom admitted with a soft sigh.


“Not different,” Brian began softly. “Just slightly modified.” Tom looked up at Brian with a start. “I can’t believe that your God would be that angry with you just because you may have found a companion and a different way of doing his work.”


“He’s your God too,” Tom admonished.


“Maybe, but the church has been your life and you’re needlessly beating yourself up for thinking about leaving it. And you’re not leaving it, just finding a different way of serving it,” Brian said.


“Since when have you come to these revelations?” Tom was amazed how alike the brothers were in their thinking.


“Since the minute you took that ride with me in my limo. Look, I’m the last one to judge you. The world is not going to stop if you decide to leave the Catholic Church to serve God in another Christian church. There are many others out there that will invite you in with open arms and not only allow you to serve God but to serve yourself by being honest with yourself. How many gay kids are out there painfully trying to reconcile their religious beliefs with their sexuality? They could use a role model.”


“You never had that trouble,” Tom said.


“I was always a hedonistic selfish heathen serving different gods. You should know that.” Brian gave Tom a look. The priest proceeded to blush all over again.


“Pan, Eros and Bacchus?”


“To name a few. The point is that you have options and time to make them. You’re a man, not just a priest. A man with deep feelings; there’s nothing wrong with letting those feelings out. And sharing those feelings.”


“You mean with Todd.”


“Todd or anyone else.”


“Is that an offer?”


“No, not if I want to keep my one real ball, besides...”


“Forget I asked, it was a stupid thoughtless question. I of all people know how devoted you are to Justin. You’ve taken your vows seriously. I wish I could.” Brian placed a comforting hand on Tom’s shoulder.


“Do we have to solve this right now?” Brian asked softly.


“No, I don’t think so.”


“It’s a nice day, why don’t you show me your love shack,” Brian teased.


“You’re incorrigible,” Tom said as he swiped the tears from his eyes.


“So I’ve been told,” Brian snarked, reining in their wayward emotions and lifting the mood as he followed Tom out of the greenhouse.


 


*****

 



“What made you come out here?” Brian asked Tom as they crossed the stream at the narrowed section that Beau had showed Tom.


“I don’t really know. Careful, it’s a little slippery,” Tom warned as he balanced on a rock. “One day the woods called to me. I don’t know why, I’m really a city boy at heart. I just had an urge to find out what was out here. Haven’t you ever gone out exploring?”


“Not really. When Jenn found the lane and the cottage, I was more concerned about getting it renovated for Justin. Then we joined the cottages and then kids. I’ve been a little busy.”


“I suppose you have. Maybe you need to get away for a while.”


“No thanks. It seems that’s all I’ve been doing lately, is getting away. I just want to stay home for a while.”


“And what does that mean?” Tom asked. They had crossed the stream and were approaching the old lean-to.


“That means I give Cynthia and Ted a break and work from home.”


“Ah, yes, I hear your bellow is very far reaching.”


“You’re a riot, Alice,” Brian snorted. “So this is it, home sweet home,” Brian said as he gave the lean-to a poke. A few boards broke loose and crumbled to the ground. “Nice.”


“I know it’s nothing to look at now but John said he’ll level the land and donate the materials,” Tom said as he bent over to pick up a board. “Maybe I’ll make this into a welcome sign,” Tom said with enthusiasm. Brian just shook his head.


“You going to build your retreat by yourself?” Brian asked.


“Todd said he’ll...”


“Uh huh,” Brian smirked.


“He volunteered to help me.”


“I’m sure he did.”


“Brian...”


“Hey, not judging here,” Brian quickly added, pointing to himself. “He can use a break from work too. I don’t think he’s taken a vacation since we started the garden center. Tom, I’m on your side. Gerry was a good man but he wasn’t ready to give up the city, and Todd had just found the country. It wasn’t going to work unless one of them made a big a sacrifice and neither of them was ready to do that. It wasn’t a bad thing, just a case of bad timing. This family will always be grateful to Gerry and his skills. We can’t thank him enough for what he did for Michael and for Ben, but he’s gone and Todd’s got to move on.”


Tom nodded. Todd missed Gerry but it was over.


“So tell me what you’re going to do with this plot of land?” Brian asked before things became too morose.


As Tom was about to answer, he swung around to take hold of Brian’s arms. “I did ask John’s permission but I haven’t formally asked you. Do you have any objections about me making this piece of land into a retreat, as you call it? I’m more than happy to stay in the B&B for as long as you’ll allow me.”


“Go for it, Padre,” Brian said with a gleam in his eyes. Tom braced himself for Brian Kinney snark. “Just don’t scare the horses as you close your eyes and think of England,” Brian said with a straight face, until Tom burst out laughing.


“That was so bad,” Tom declared.


“Yeah, well, I’m still jet-lagged. So show me the glade that’s got you all hot and bothered,” Brian demanded. Tom smiled then turned to lead the way. “I never knew this was out here,” Brian said as he looked around the small but picturesque area.


“Beau was with me; he seems to like it,” Tom said.


“If Beau approves, that’s good enough for me,” Brian agreed as he leaned against a boulder. “I can see why you’d want to spend time out here, it’s like you’re in a whole other world.”


“Yes, it is,” Tom said wistfully.


“Just remember to come back to reality every once in a while,” Brian warned.


“I promise. I know the difference between running from your problems and taking the time out to figure them out,” Tom stated emphatically.


“Good, just as long as it stays that way you can spend as much time out here and on the lane as you like. So how did you get Todd to go along with Tom’s folly?” Brian inquired.


Tom ignored the snipe. “I think he wants to keep me out of trouble. He’s not sure that I have any skills with hand tools.”


“I’m not sure either, unless you have some hidden talents that I’m not aware of,” Brian said honestly. “I’m not the construction type myself in spite of the treehouse we built. If it wasn’t for John, it would have never been built.” Brian smiled with the pleasant memories.


“It was magical. Did you ever think to bring it here? Find the right tree and move the treehouse to where the kids could have fun with it. Bree and Patrick aren’t too old yet.”


“Hmm,” Brian mumbled, scratching his head. “I think we briefly mentioned it but it never went anywhere. You’re right; the kids aren’t too old to play in it. Patrick’s getting too old for the Wendy house. I bet he’d love to camp out in the treehouse with his friends. I’ll talk to John when we get back to the lane. So tell me, are you planning a Taj Mahal too or something a bit more sedate,” Brian teased as they walked back to the shack.


“Very sedate, I promise,” Tom said holding up his hand in a vow. “It won’t even have indoor plumbing.” At that Brian made a face then burst into laughter. At Tom’s curious look, Brian explained when as a little boy, Gus wanted them all to pee through the railing of the treehouse.


“And of course, you all did it.”


“Of course we did! It was a bonding moment,” Brian said sounding very domesticated. Tom smiled as he patted his friend’s back. “So what are you going to do for facilities?” Brian asked, making quotes in the air at the word facilities. “I’d hate to have run all the way back to the cottage just to take a whiz,” Brian said, ever the tactful one.


“Not sure, maybe an outhouse of some sort. I’m sure John will have a suggestion.”


“No doubt. Speaking about John, I better get back. I want to take a closer look at the log cabin. Are you ready to go back or do you want to stay out here a little while longer?”


“I’ll stay, if you don’t mind,” Tom replied with a small smile.


“I don’t mind. I’ll see you later, and come for dinner tonight. Maybe I’ll grill,” Brian said over his shoulder as he left Tom to ponder life.


 


*****

 



Brian thanked his good sense of direction and the fact that the path Tom had been using to go back and forth was becoming more obvious with each use. Once Brian reached the stream, he was literally out of the woods. Within a few minutes he was standing on the lane getting a coffee from the snack truck.


“Hey,” John greeted Brian. “Where have you been?”


“Taking a hike in the woods with the good friar,” Brian replied as he sipped a surprisingly good cup of coffee. “He’s really serious about setting up shop out there.”


“Within reason. It’s only going to have four walls and a roof.”


“What about windows and a door?”


“Door yes, no glass windows, just old fashioned shutters. I have an old potbelly stove I can install so he can make tea or soup and to keep the place warmer than outdoors, but that’s about it. I don’t recommend he stays out there overnight. Not alone and certainly not in the dead of winter. I won’t be the one to explain to his bishop why his priest turned into a popsicle,” John stated.


“You and me both, big bro,” Brian said as his eyes narrowed. He scanned the lane and the construction site.


“What’s wrong?” John asked.


“No Todd, no little Mary Sunshine and the cabin is looking waaay cool.”


“I think Todd is hiding from you; Justin’s inside taking measurements, doing his artist thing, and thank you. Once I finalized the plans, the cabin went up very quickly. The outer perimeter wall we discussed is moving along very rapidly as well. We have to skirt around a tree or two but basically it’s a straight line up the hill past Rachel and George’s house.”


“Good. Can I see the plans for the front yard?”


“You thinking of doing some landscaping?” John said with a smirk that looked a lot like Brian’s.


“Not me personally; I’ll give the job to Todd. You just say the word and I’ll have him and his guys attack.”


“What are you thinking of? Lawn? Flower garden?”


Brian snorted. “No. Michael has a tough enough time with that little patch of weeds he calls a lawn in the Pitts. And neither he nor Ben have a green thumb between them. If you can leave me a good supply of the smaller rocks, I’m thinking of a rock garden with a variety of perennial green plants and low shrubs and a gravel path up to the door between the two halves of the rock garden. This side of the lane is too close to the trees, not enough light for flowers but the hostas will love it and they don’t need much care. If we don’t put anything down before winter this place will be a mud pit.”


“I agree. I’ll leave it up to you and Todd. You ready to see inside?” John asked.


“Yes,” Brian said eagerly. They finished off their coffees then John proceeded to give Brian the guided tour of the latest cottage, correction, cabin on the lane.


“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian said when he found Justin taping up a set of small sketches to a large round window at one end of the loft floor. There was another set of sketches on the other round window at the opposite end of the loft wing. Brian gave Justin a discreet peck to the side of his head.


“Hey. Did you see Tom?”


“Yeah, he was giving me a tour of his new homestead.”


“What do you think about his idea of his own little cabin?”


“I think he’s nuts but then it’s not my whole belief system at stake here,” Brian said as he leaned up against the wall. He turned and stared at the wall, then ran his hand across it. He gave Justin a perplexed look which made Justin laugh.


“Just because the outside of the house is made of logs and stone doesn’t mean the inside is. The walls are insulated, there’s even a small furnace, baseboard heating and a hot water heater. All the comforts of home,” Justin explained nonchalantly. Brian stared nonplussed then nodded.


“Far more than Tom’s little hovel will have but I guess that’s the point,” Brian commented. “He probably thinks he has to atone for his sins.”


“Whereas Brian Kinney doesn’t do atonement,” Justin said as he sidled into Brian’s arms.


“No apologies, no regrets,” Brian murmured as he leaned down to kiss Justin’s lips. “Are you done here?” Brian whispered against Justin’s lips. Justin smiled as he nodded yes. “Let’s go home. We have a whole cottage to ourselves until the kids come home.”


“What did you have in mind, Mr. Kinney?”


“I think I should review that resume of yours, Taylor. Kinnetik has a certain reputation to uphold. We can’t hire just any Tom, Dick or Justin.”


“I’ve heard about your reputation, Mr. Kinney. You have a habit of fucking your interns.”


“Maybe a very long time ago.”


“And now?”


“I only fuck the intern that I’m married to,” Brian said with a grin as he tossed his arm over Justin’s shoulder. They left the cabin and strolled up the lane toward their cottage.


 


*****

 



“I bet Brian’s pissed at me,” Todd said as shuffled up the lane with Tom.


“He’s no such thing,” Tom assured him.


“Does he know you invited me to dinner?”


“Yes, as does the whole family. Brian decided to take advantage of the warm evening to grill, so offer to help. He also mentioned something about discussing the landscaping for the new cabin with you.”


“I’m sure he’ll have his own ideas,” Todd grumbled.


“Of course he will; this is his home,” Tom retorted impatiently. He stopped, took a breath then apologized. “I’m sorry, that was uncalled for.”


“No, I’m sorry. I’m just being a coward. I’ve done nothing wrong.”


“No you haven’t and neither have I. Brian and I had a long talk this morning, and believe it or not, he approves of us. He sees nothing wrong with me changing careers, for lack of a better term, so that I could take a companion,” Tom said.


“Take a companion?” Todd asked. The expression sounded a bit archaic. He stopped in the road to look at Tom.


“Have a boyfriend,” Tom said with a shrug of his shoulders.


“Oh. So he’s cool with us. I mean a potential us.”


“Yes,” Tom said with a coy smile.


“Okay,” Todd murmured with his own shy smile. “Cool.”


“Yeah, very cool. Come on,” Tom said as they walked up the path around the cottage toward the yard. “Hello?” Tom called out.


“Come on back!” John called out in reply.


As they came around the cottage Tom and Todd noticed the yard was abuzz with Brian grilling and the family enjoying each other’s company. Rachel and George were also in the yard. Everyone was pitching in to get dinner on the table. They decided to eat inside to escape any late season mosquitoes but the lane family was happily enjoying the evening.


“Beer?” George asked as he waved two cold bottles in the air.


“Sure, I’m not driving,” Tom quipped.


“One won’t hurt,” Todd added.


“Besides he can always stay over,” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear. Justin was holding a platter while Brian piled it high with grilled steak and chicken.


“Behave,” Justin growled at his incorrigible spouse. Brian gave Justin an innocent smile. Justin gave Brian a pinch.


The table was set and laden with food. The family moved into the porch to sit down for dinner.


“Brian, John,” Tom began as he looked round the table, “Bobby, Justin, if it’s all right with you, I’d like to say grace.”


“By all means,” John answered for the family before Brian could open his mouth.


Tom stood, looked around the room and smiled. “May we be grateful for the bounty before us and for the blessing of good friends. Amen.”


“Amen,” was echoed around the room.


“Dig in,” Brian commanded. As the plates, platters and bowls went around the table, Brian caught Tom’s eye and smiled.


 


*****

 



“So you like the idea?” Brian asked Todd.


Dinner was a pleasant affair. And after the kids went to bed and Rachel and George went home, the guys sat down to talk gardens.


“I think it’s a great idea. It’ll pick up the theme from the gate and the cabin. A rock garden will fit right in.” Todd totally agreed with Brian’s idea. “And you’re right, that part of the lane is a lot shadier than the rest. Some evergreens, deep maroon leafy plants and low shrubs will look good as well as being very low maintenance.”


“I thought so too. When do you think you can start?” Brian asked Todd.


“I’ll check with John in the morning. He looked tired,” Todd observed. John had retired early.


“He’s an old man,” Brian teased. “But he’s up with the birds and works very hard,” Brian quickly added.


“Yes, he does,” Todd agreed. Brian stuck his hand out to shake Todd’s hand. Todd took it, returning the firm grip.


“Go walk our Tom home,” Brian said to Todd.


“Yes, sir,” Todd replied then bid Bobby a good night. He caught up to Tom who was in the kitchen talking to Justin. “Tom, may I escort you home?” Todd asked as he held out his elbow.


“Yes, you may,” Tom answered with a smile. “Good night, and thank you for a wonderful evening,” Tom said to Brian and Justin as he linked his arm with Todd’s and they walked out the door.


Brian and Justin locked up their end of the cottage and the porch, making sure everything was all secure. Their home was quiet once more.


“May I have the honor of escorting you home, Sunshine?” Brian asked giving Justin a bright smile and holding up his elbow.


“The honor is all mine,” Justin replied giving Brian a blinding smile in return as he linked his arm with Brian’s. Arm and arm they walked down the hall and into their bedroom.


All was right on the lane.