- Text Size +

Chapter 10


The next month was filled with joy and stress.  The thought of two babies had Brinn and Zach very busy.  They moved Justice into her ‘big girl’ room and started getting the nursery ready for two boys. Brinn knew it wouldn’t be long before she couldn’t see her feet the way she was growing.  By the time she got home each night she could barely move so Zach waited on her while she sat and played with Justice.  They had heard from Danny and Elliott and by the end of the month they hoped to have news.  Danny’s sperm had been checked and everything was a go.  Elliott’s cousin was thrilled to help.  She had two children of her own but had trouble free pregnancies and was excited to do this for Elliott and his husband.  

Thanksgiving was only a week away.  Along with Thanksgiving was Brinn’s birthday. The only thing that would bring the mood down was Shelby was still in a chair.  She was doing very well.  She was back at work with the help of Trenton of all people, but even with her therapy she had no feeling whatsoever.  The kids were adjusting but Gus was struggling.  Trenton had noticed the last couple weeks he spent as little time as he could at home.  He would get home in time to say good night to the older kids and then he would fall into bed, kiss Shelby and turn his back to her to drift off to sleep.

Shelby and Trenton decided it was time to give Gus a break. Nora and Molly offered to help at the house and Trenton was going to spend time with Gus.  Since no one was working the day after Thanksgiving, Matty invited ‘the guys’ to his house.  Starting at noon on Friday it was poker and beer.  Afterward, Trent and Gus were going to Stone House for a night or two.  Hopefully the change of pace would help Gus snap out of it.

Thanksgiving morning George, Nora and Matty were in the kitchen working on the turkey and the sides while Vicky played with Leo.  Matty stuck a dish in the oven and walked over to swoop Leo off the floor and he ‘flew his giggling son around the house.  “Matteo, what are you doing to that boy.  Bring him back here.  Children don’t need to be overstimulated like that especially on an activity filled day.”

“Well, excuse me, but MY son enjoys it and I don’t get to spend nearly enough time with him the way it is and if I remember your only degree is…. Oh, wait, you don’t have a degree.”  Nora and George rushed out of the kitchen as Vicky charged toward Matty.  George caught her around the waist just in time.  Tension between Matty and Vicky had been growing ever since Vicky started spending more and more time at the house.  George took Vicky’s arm and led her back to the kitchen as Nortoa  guided Matty and Leo toward the nursery.

“Vicky, please, try to get along.  It is a holiday and we are here as guests.”

“George, open your eyes.  You are here because this rich, spoiled family needs a cook so they don’t have to do any of it.  They don’t think of you as family.  They think of you as help. Now…”

“You don’t have a clue, Vicky.  Why can’t you just try to enjoy the day.  I love cooking and Matty and Nora are definitely family, aren’t they.”

“George, you aren’t taking the side of them, are you?  I mean…. You are.  You think their touchy feelings are more important than mine and just when I was going to tell you, I’m pregnant.”  Vicky ran out of the room and locked herself in the bathroom.  George looked at the closed door.  Nora came back out of the nursery to find out who slammed the door.  Nora placed her hand on George’s back, “I’m sorry, George.  She’s my sister and I love her but she is a hard person to like sometimes. What’s her problem this time?”

“Just the normal complaint about me being the help but, Nora, she lied to me just now.”

“How’s that?”

“She just told me she was pregnant.  I know she took a pregnancy test last week but I saw it in the trash and it was negative and we haven’t had sex since. I mean I know it could have been wrong but I don’t think so.  We haven’t …. It’s been a while since we have done anything regularly.  I hope it won’t hurt our friendship but….”

“George, you aren’t obliged to stay with my sister.  You need to be happy.  You deserve that.”

“Well, right now I will try to smooth things over so we can at least have dinner with everyone and then I will get her out of here.”

Nora kissed his cheek before he walked toward the door.  He tapped on the door, “Vicky, honey, let me in. Let’s talk about this.”  Vicky unlocked the door and George went in.  “Come on, Vicky, please come out and we can have dinner with the family and….”

“So you are choosing them over your family. You care more about those people than you do about me and your child,” she whined.

“Vicky, why are you saying that? You aren’t pregnant.  I know you aren’t so why, Vicky?”

“How dare you tell me I’m not pregnant!  Take me home, NOW!”

“Vicky, I am making dinner.”

“I said, take me HOME!”

“Fine, I’ll take you home.”  Vicky stormed out of the bathroom and George was right behind.  George glanced over his shoulder at Nora.  I’ll be back.  Everything is pretty much ready.  Just keep an eye on it.”

Soon the house started filling up.  John helped Nora keep an eye on the food while Tony  and Matty played with Leo.  Soon more of the guests arrived. Brinn, Zach and Justice along with Brian and Justin.  Gus and his family were on their way.  Molly and her family had flown to Pittsburgh to spend the holiday with Jenn and Dan and Marcus were having dinner at Danny and Ellliott’s.  They had decided a quiet dinner would be nice this year after everything they had gone through.


George had barely put the car in park and Vicky was running to the house. As he followed her to the door she complained the whole way, “How can you treat me this way? We are almost married and yet you choose…”

“We are not almost married, Vicky.  We will never be married.  In fact I have a great idea.  I am going back to enjoy my friends and you can start packing.” He went to the bedroom and grabbed a bag.  He threw a set of clothes in it along with his shaving kit.  “I will stay somewhere else tonight.  Be out of here by Saturday.”

“I will not!  I have as much right as you do to live here!”

“Actually, no you don’t.  I owned this place before you arrived and your name isn’t on any of the property.”

“Well, what am I supposed to do.  I don’t have any money.  I….”

George pulled his wallet out and threw about a $1000 on the table.  “I am sure that is more than you came with.”  George turned and left her standing in the middle of the room speechless.


Gus went up to Trenton’s room with Tally running ahead of him.  He knocked and opened the door, sending her in ahead, “Uncle Trent,” Tally threw herself on his lap as he sat in a chair near the window, “you need to come with us.”

Trent scooped her up and hugged her, “Honey, I already told your parents I was staying here.”

“No, you stay.  I stay.” As she hugged his neck she tried bribery. “There will be turkey and pie.” She said in a sing song voice and then she kissed his cheek.  

“And I am sure it will be good but I….”

Tally stuck her lower lip out as far as it would go.  “Oh, please….”

“Gus, did you….”  Trent looked over as he stood by the door.

“Oh, no, Pen.  This was all her idea.” Gus walked over and scooped her up.  “You tried, Sweetie.  You go see if Mommy has come out to the dining room and I will be right down.”

“Ok, Daddy.” Tally kissed Trent once more and ran out the door.

Gus shut the door and locked it before walking over to Trent, “Please, Pen.” Gus sat down on his lap. “If you don’t come, everyone will just ask why you didn’t come.  You can drive yourself.  You don’t have to stay long but at least come to eat.” Gus ran his hand down Trent’s cheek and then lowered his mouth and let it barely graze his cheek.  “Pen, I ….I just can’t face them all without you.”

“Gus,” Trent pulled him close, “They are your family.  They don’t want anything but…”

“I just...please, Pen,” Gus lowered his mouth to Trent’s.  “I will make it worth your while this weekend.”

“Gus, you are hard to say no to.  Ok, get out of here.  I’ll be ten minutes behind you.”

“Thank you, Pen. I lo….. Thank you.”


George arrived back at the house as the food was being taken out of the oven.  Nora saw him walk in and went to meet him. “George, are you Ok?” She guided him off to the side study.  “I am so sorry.  What happened?”

“I told her to pack up and leave.”

“I should never have had her come here.  I thought she had finally changed.  Vicky always had to be in charge and could never adjust to change.  But,  she had been better… George, I hope she will leave.  Just promise to be careful.  I will talk to our dad tomorrow and see if he can come get her.  He usually can get her to think straight.”

There was a lot of commotion out in the main room.  “Let’s go enjoy the holiday,” George said as he guided her out of the room.  “We all have a lot to be thankful for this year.”  They saw Gage pushing his mom into the house.  “Well, some of us more than others but I am glad she is alive.” 

Nora softly said to George, “I think it is harder on Gus than it is on Shelby.” George nodded as he moved to the kitchen to check on the food.


The meal was full of laughter and smiles.  Though Gus tried, Justin knew he wasn’t doing as well as he tried to appear.  After the meal had finished Gage took the little girls to play and Taylor went to put him down for a nap.  Brinn sat down and put her feet up and Shelby moved next to her.  As they talked, and everyone else started cleaning up,  Justin separated Gus out and guided him to a back room. “Gus, I wish I could do anything…” Gus stepped into his dad’s arms and held onto him tight.

“Dad, how do I learn how to deal with this? Shelly seems to be adjusting but you and I both know that she can’t be happy…”

“Gus, I think you’re wrong there. Shelby, although she would love to walk again, has been adjusting well.  I think it is you who is having trouble getting past it.” Justin kissed Gus’ temple.  “It is understandable.  But, Gus, you are going to have to make it work for both of you, and of course for the kids.”

“I know, Dad. I’ll try.”  It got noisy out in the main room and Justin and Gus joined everyone standing around Brinn.

“What is going on?” Justin asked as he moved next to Brian.  

Brian pulled him close and kissed him.  “Our grandsons are causing her mother a great deal of discomfort.” Gus wanted to rush over and feel but he didn’t want his fathers to get suspicious. 

Justin moved closer and laid his hand on his daughter’s belly.  “They really are celebrating in there.”  

“Let me feel!” Gus moved closer.  As he laid his hand on her tummy he made eye contact with Brinn and they both knew what the other was thinking.  These were not only Justin’s biological grandchildren, but Brian’s, too. Gus moved near Trenton.  He had found a corner and was looking quite uncomfortable. Gus leaned against him for a moment, “Thank you. I know you hate this.”

“I’m actually jealous of your family,” Trent slipped an arm around Gus’ waist for a moment.  I dreamt of a family like this my whole childhood. He kissed Gus’ neck and then let go of him.  “I think I will be off.  I’m going home for a bit.  I will be back by….”

“Why don’t you sleep in your own bed once.  Tomorrow noon come back here.  We are going to get drunk...Oh, I’m sorry.  Are you ok with that?”

“Of course, Gus.” 

Gus walked him out to the porch and kissed him.  “I will see you at noon?”

Trent pulled him close for one more kiss, “Noon,”  And he got in the car and drove away.

Brinn ran into George near the bathroom. “Everyone’s avoiding asking but, Geo, where’s Vicky.”

“My guess is she is trashing my place right now as she packs her own stuff away.”

“Oh, George, don’t you want to go check?”

“Nothing would be worth facing her again.  So how are you doing? Excuse me for saying so, but you are really… you are going to be really big.”  He smiled and Brinn had to laugh.

“But, George,” Brinn took his arm, “Zach and I are going to have the rest of our family.  You gave us Justice and now….”

“Who is the father, Brinn?”

“Our donor is anonymous right now. Zach and I know but we don’t plan to tell anyone right now.”

“We both know who the father is,” he glanced over at Zach who was talking to Gus.  “Zach is one of the best fathers I have ever seen.”  Brinn smiled and inwardly thought, if you only knew how close you are.

Soon everyone was getting ready to go home. Brian and Justin were taking Justice home so Zach and Brinn could celebrate her birthday.  “Papa, can Tally come, too? We both want to play at your house.” Justice kissed Brian on the cheek as she held onto his neck tightly.  “Why not.” Brian looked at Justin and he nodded.

John and Tony decided it was time for Leo to spend the night at their house, too, leaving Matty and Nora alone for the night, too.  


Danny and Elliott had found out yesterday.  They were having a baby.  After talking about it they decided they would tell the family when they served dessert. Once they had all eaten their fill and they decided they would wait and have pie a little later Danny couldn’t wait.  Elliott could see he was ready to explode and nodded to him. Danny kissed him and then said, “Hannah, can I talk to you a minute.”

“Sure, Danny, what is it?”

“Well, you know El and I love it when you visit and stay overnight.”

“Ya,” she looked at him curiously.

“Well, I’m afraid you  won’t be able to use that anymore.”

“But, why not?” Hannah’s lip began to quiver. “You let me pick the color and everything.”

“Well, the baby is going to need to be….”

Hannah screamed, “Baby? Did you say baby?”

“Hannah, you are going to be an aunt. And you,” Danny looked at his fathers, “You are going to be grandfathers.” 

Marcus ran over and hugged them both.  “How? I mean are you adopting or….”

“Elliott’s cousin is our surrogate.  She will probably be due right around Labor Day.  Hannah, I hope you will come help us when you can.  We will need a good babysitter sometimes.”

“Really? You’ll let me babysit?”

“Well, soon we will.” Danny said as Hannah wrapped her arms around him. 

“I don’t mind moving rooms.”

When Danny went to make coffee and get the pie sometime later, Dan followed him into the kitchen. “Jr., I am so happy for you.” Dan wrapped his arms around his son.  “You deserve this, Danny.  You deserve to have a family of your own. You have so much love to share.”

“Thanks, Dad. I love him so much.”

“I know you do, son.  And Elliott loves you so much.  I was scared for you because I couldn’t see either of you happy if you separated but I understood your position.  I’m just glad it got worked out.”  Dan looked at him, “Are you going to tell your parents?”

“I just did, Dad.”

“You know what I mean.”

“I will tell my sister next time she calls.  I won’t call them myselves. Mom hasn’t even contacted me in about a year.”

“Danny, it is their loss.  It always has been.  I know I don’t say it often, but I love you and I am so proud of you, Jr.” Dan kissed Danny’s cheek and walked away.


Gus and Shelby got home with the teenagers. The kids went and did their own thing while Gus got Shelby into bed and then got in bed himself.  With some effort Shelby moved so she was up against Gus.  “Gussy, can we try… I miss you.”

Gus kissed her.  At first it was light and casual but very soon Shelby deepened it and then directed Gus’ mouth lower until he took one of her nipples in his lips and teeth.  Gus moved down her body and kissed, nipped, and licked almost every inch of her skin. As he came back to her mouth he felt a shiver run through her and then she sighed.  

Shelby’s hand now moved downward.  She began to stroke Gus, “Come up here, Gussy.”

“Shelby, you don’t have to.  I…”

“Gus, I want to.  I need to taste you.”  Gus helped her reposition and then he lay on his side so their heads were in the opposite end.  As Shelby closed around him, Gus shivered. He had missed her.  She knew him so well. She knew exactly what drove him over the edge. But tonight after she had taken what he offered, he felt a loss.  Could he never make love with her again?

Later they lay side by side and Shelby snuggled her head into his neck, “Gus,  I know this is hard on you.”

“Hell, Shel, what I feel doesn’t matter.  You are the one….”

“No, darling, what happens to me happens to you.  You always feel everything which is one of the reasons I love you so much.  I would understand if….well….”

“Time to sleep, Shel.  We will work everything out.  We will just have to come up with a different way.  I love you, Shelly.”

“I love you, Gus Kinney!” She rested her hand on his heart and drifted off to sleep.


By the time Brian and Justin fell into bed they were exhausted.  They weren’t used to having two three year olds in the house. After a tea party and several stories the girls had finally giggled themselves to sleep in the spare room.cup

Brian fell into bed, naked.  He wasn’t sure he had the energy for anything after today.  He remembered back in the day when they would have a day like this and then make love until the sun rose. When Justin came out of the bathroom, Brian had to smile.  His cock, as tired as he was, still reacted to the sight of the man he loved.  Justin dropped onto the bed and flopped over so an arm and leg lay across Brian’s body.  “We have two grandsons on the way.  I think they may wear us out although,” his hand softly stroked Brian’s growing erection, “You don’t seem to be as tired as I expected.”  he reached up and turned Brian’s head to receive a kiss.

“I thought I was too tired until you walked out here and….well, you didn’t do anything. You were just you.”  Brian moved slowly and put Justin on his back.  He brought his lips down on Justin’s.  There was no urgency, nothing demanding, just love. Justin’s mouth opened and accepted Brian’s tongue as his own danced with the intruder.  There was no rush as they touched each other.  Their hands slid over each other’s skin, leaving scorching trails and then, when neither of them could wait any longer, Justin turned his back to Brian and Brian claimed what had been his for nearly 35 years. When they climaxed together Brian held onto Justin tightly.  “I love you, Sunshine.”

“I love you, too, Brian.  I always have and always will.”


Friday all the children managed to get back to their parents and by noon, Brinn and Nora had arrived at Gus and Shelby’s. The ladies had hired a private massage therapist to come out along with someone to give them pedicures.  Taylor had decided she would stick around for this but Gage went with a friend’s family to spend the day in San Francisco. 

As Gus got ready to leave his phone signaled.  He kissed Shelby and walked out the door with an overnight bag. He looked at his phone and then just sat in his truck.  He read the text several more times.  What was he going to do? He wasn’t sure who the message was from, but someone  knew something they shouldn’t and to keep quiet they were asking for far more money than he could come up with in the next week. He wasn’t sure what he was going to do. He refused to ask his dads for help again but moving that kind of money would seriously hurt his family’s income and worst of all, Shelby would know what happened.  He finally headed to poker day.

The men had a slight change in plans.  Rather than going to Matty’s they were meeting at Zach and Brinn’s.  Zach had the day planned out. Matty was picking up pizza on his way over for lunch. They all planned to make a day of it.  Everyone brought snacks.  They figured by 6:00  or so they would all be ready to go home.  Since Gus was going to be with Trenton, Nora and Matty were going to stay with Shelby.  Nora was happy to use her nursing skills to help a friend and Tally was happy to have baby Leo there, too.

The pizza was half eaten and beer bottles were already cluttering the table.  Trenton had expected Gus to be relaxed and excited but he noticed a cloud around him and he wasn’t eating at all. He wondered if something had been said between Shelby and Gus.  This was not what he expected.  The other men didn’t seem to notice because Gus was trying to hide it but as Gus drank more beer Trent noticed more tension rather than less.  Gus wasn’t playing well and by the time the hand was done. The guys decided to take a break for a few minutes as everyone used the bathroom and grabbed more food.  

Trent followed Gus to the bathroom and when Gus was going to shut the door, Trent pushed passed and locked the door when they were both inside.  Gus leaned against Trent for balance and kissed him. “I don’t think we have time to fuck now,” Gus said with slurred speech.

“Gus, what’s going on?  Did you and Shelby have a fight?”

“No, in fact, last night we made love.” Gus winced, “Well as much as we could make love but I was feeling better about her until,” Gus unzipped his pants, “I gotta piss.”

Gus was unstable as he stood there, back to Trenton. Trent wrapped his arms around Gus’ waist to help stabilize him but Gus leaned against him and as soon as he was done he turned into his arms, “Oh, Pen, I don’t know what I’m going to do.” Gus held onto his neck tightly.

“Sweetheart, what is it?”  

In response, Gus kissed him.  There was desperation in his kiss but before they could do anything more there was a knock on the door. 

“Hey, you coming back to the table or should we play a hand without you?” Zach’s voice came through the door.

“No, we’re coming.  I need to earn the money back you stole from me last round.”  Gus tried to push away.

Trenton looked him in the eyes,  “This conversation isn’t over. You know you can tell me anything, Gus.”

“Ya, poker….” Gus headed out the door.

Gus’ behavior turned the corner as they continued to play and drink.  Gus went from being quiet to being loud, “Well, my friends, how many of you are planning to get lucky tonight?” Gus’ hand went into Trent’s lap.  “I know I do!” Gus leaned over and kissed Pen.  This  made all of them a bit uncomfortable.  Even though everyone knew about the arrangement, it had never been public and that is the way Trent wanted to keep it. 

“Gus, you’re drunk.” Trent commented as he removed the hand in his lap.

“Ah, come on, Pen. You know you love me.”

Matty tried to lessen the tension,  “Who’s ready for another hand or maybe we should take a break.  I didn’t realize what time it was.  Soon I will be heading over to Nora and Brinn will want to come home with Juss.”

“It’s early, yet.  Come on, men.  And George, so what did you find when you got home? Did Vicky clean you out? Matty, that’s some sister in law you have.”  By now Gus’ speech was very slurred.

“Guys, I think Gus and I will head next door for the night.”

“But I want to hear what happened to George’s stuff?” Gus grumbled.

“Gus, I promise, I’ll talk to you later this weekend.  Just call me.  Right now I think Trenton is right, buddy.  You have had a little too much to drink.” George glanced at Trent.  “I brought the food you ordered over there before I came.”

The fire was draining from Gus quickly and Trent helped Gus up and got his jacket.  “You ok with this, Trent, or would you like some help.” Zach asked a bit worried about his brother in law.

“I’ve got him.  I am sure it is just stress and too much beer.  Thanks for the great day, Zach.”

With that everyone said goodbye and Zach helped Gus out the door and headed him toward Stone House.  “You can’t keep your hands off me, can you? You couldn’t wait to fuck me.” Gus’ speech was not clear.  “How much could I get having sex? Could I make money?”

For a split second, Trent thought of how popular Gus would be on the street but what the hell? His fathers were worth millions.  He would never need money. “Gus, come on.  Let’s get in the house.” 

“I hope there is beer there.  I need a beer.”

Once Trenton got Gus into the house, he locked the door behind him. Gus stumbled toward the refrigerator and opened the door. “Beer!  Are you sure you don’t want one….sorry, that’s not nice.  I’m sorry,” Gus stumbled back and put an arm around his handsome lover.  “Pen, fuck me.  Fuck me hard!’

“Let’s sit down. Maybe you can tell me what’s going on.” Trent led him to the sofa and pulled Gus against him. “I can give you a blow job.  Let me give you a blow job.” Gus fumbled with Trent’s pants and soon had his hand through the open zipper.

“Gus, no.  What is going on?” he put a hand on each of his shoulders. Gus had a wild look on his eyes and he moved in and kissed him.  He started out forceful but then started to lighten up a bit and eventually backed off as Gus dropped his head on Trent’s shoulder and as his arms went around Trent’s neck he sobbed.  It was some time before Gus quieted down and when he did Trent was sure he was sleeping. He slipped out from Gus’ arms and carefully laid him down on the sofa.  He covered him with the afgahn that was on the back.  Gus needed some food and needed to sober up.  He picked up the beer Gus had opened but had only taken one sip. He brought it to his lips but at the last moment he poured it down the drain. He decided when Gus woke he would need some food and coffee and then maybe he would tell him what had made him so scared and that was it.  He was scared.  He put dinner in the oven and then heard Gus’ phone.  He knew he shouldn’t but he picked up the phone.  The message was from Shelby.  He quickly texted her and said Gus was  a bit drunk but he was fine.  He asked if she needed anything and her reply was she had a great day and they didn’t need to worry about her with Nora and Matty there.

Trent read the response and smiled.  Shelby was a special woman.  With the phone in his hand he knew he had to see if there was something on here that would tell him what was going on with Gus. He looked at the previous text and saw it was from an unknown number.  It said, ‘I know what you did in L.A.  Get $250,000 and I will contact you within the week.’  Shit, what had Gus done in  L.A.  and who could know about it. 

Trent took their overnight bags upstairs.  He had a feeling Gus would be out for a bit but Gus usually didn’t stay down for long.  He hoped that drinking today wouldn’t set Gus on a spiral and back to rehab.  He knew Gus’ real problem was not booze and truthfully, he wasn’t sure if Gus was physically addicted to the drugs he had taken or if it was just a mental crutch. He sat on the edge of the bed and thought of the young man on the sofa downstairs.  Although he was in his mid 30s, Gus had an innocence to him.  He had grown up in a supportive home and never wanted for anything physically or emotionally so he never learned to be wary or cynical. He was just accepting which kept him open to so many things. 

Trent walked down the steps and looked at Gus who had pulled the blanket up under his chin in his sleep.  Trenton sat on the third step from the bottom as he was hit by a wall of emotion.  He had come to rely on that man.  He knew his life had become meaningful again after thinking that would never happen. He didn’t need it in return but he loved this man and would do anything for him.

Gus stirred and stretched.  Trent’s heart skipped a beat as Gus’ eyes fluttered open and he smiled at him.

“Pen.” Trent forgot to breathe for a moment.  He was so beautiful. “Are you watching me sleep? I’m sorry I passed out.” The smile then fell away from his lips as he became aware of his reality again.  He changed the subject.  “I should probably eat something. What are we eating?”

Trenton moved toward Gus and sat on the edge of the sofa. Gus sat up and met his mouth.  All of the sudden food wasn’t important. His need was much deeper.  “Will it wait?” he asked as their mouths separated for a moment. 

“Yes, it is on warm,” Trent replied as he pulled Gus’ shirt off with some urgency now.  He threw the shirt to the side and he pulled off his own.  They both fumbled with zippers and as soon as Trent managed to get Gus’ pants down he dropped and took Gus deep into this throat.  As Gus relaxed and allowed himself to cum, he closed his eyes, trying to allow himself to just enjoy the moment.  Once Gus collected himself he changed positions, reaching across the seat of the sofa and grabbing the back of it.  Trent put on a condom and with little control left he pressed inward. As he got into the rhythm he realized he no longer compared Gus with Adam.  He had loved Adam and did what he could for him but he was gone and Gus was his present.

As he propelled himself forward one more time, he held onto Gus’ hips tightly as the wave of release and reality ran through him.  He didn’t care that he was not first in Gus’ life as long as he always was in it, that was enough. 

As they sat by the small counter bar, facing each other, they ate the chicken George had supplied.  It was simple but delicious. Trent reached over and took Gus’ hand, “Gus, will you tell me what’s wrong?” He brought the palm of Gus’ hand to his mouth and kissed it.

Gus took Trent’s hand. “I don’t know...of course you know somethings wrong.  I have never been able to hide anything in my life.” Gus sighed and squeezed Trent’s hand tighter.  “I’m being blackmailed.”

“By who?”

“I’m not sure. They want a lot of money.  More than I have access to and I can’t, I won’t ask my dads again. I told you about the time before but I promised I would not ask them again and I won’t.  But this guy wants a quarter of a million dollars.  Shelby would know if I took that out of our account. I set it up so the bank would notify her if I made a transaction over $25,000 unless they verified it was work related with an invoice.  She didn’t ask me to do this.  I wanted to. That way if I ever …..well you know.  My family comes first.”

“Gus, let me lend you the money.”

“No, Pen.  I can’t do that.  This is on me.”

“What are they talking about, Gus? You know it isn’t going to change my feelings toward you.”

“I, if this came out it would ruin my business and my career forever.  I could lose everything.”

Trenton walked around the counter and guided Gus back to the sofa.  “No, Gus, you wouldn’t lose me.  Go on.”

“It was when I was in L.A.  I was introduced to a young man who was strung out farther than I was.  He started flirting and we had sex in the bathroom of the hotel lobby.  It wasn’t until I looked into his face, with my cock up his ass, that I realized how young he was. He wasn’t fighting me.  He acted as if he wanted it but later…..the kid was part of a human trafficking ring.  He was just fourteen. How could I have been so dumb and careless!”

Trenton tightened his arms around him, “Gus, it was the drugs.  You would never have done any of that….”

“But, Pen, that young boy… I can’t get him out of my head.  I would like to do something for him but if I look for him, they will charge me.”                                                           

“Who would know this?” Trent kissed Gus’ temple as they sat there.

“It has to be someone from rehab, someone from my group.  That gives me six options and I have it down to two but it doesn’t make sense.”

“You got that all from one text?”

Gus pulled away and looked at Trent, “How did you know I got a text?”

Trent sighed, “I looked at your phone when you had fallen asleep.  I’m sorry.  A text came in and I didn’t want Shelby to worry so I texted her, telling her it was me and that you were sleeping.  Then I ….. I apologize, Gus.  I just had to see what was stressing you out.”

“Fuck, Pen, that was none of your business!” Gus stood and walked across the room.  “Obviously you didn’t look any further or you would have seen the previous two texts.  The first just called me a perv.  In the second he said it would cost me to keep him quiet.  That’s when I started to eliminate people from the group.  It can only be one of two guys.  

“But, Gus, if you manage to get the money how do you know he won’t try for more?”

“I thought about that.  Obviously I don’t know for sure but when I think about it, both of the guys I am thinking about had businesses that were going under.  They weren’t bad guys, I think one of them is probably desperate.”

“Gus, you are a great judge of character but you are also a little naive.  Please let me check them out, for your safety and the safety of your family.  And I don’t really mean me.  I’ll hire Dan to look into them.  I’ll give him some reason.  That way I’ll feel better and if you want to give him the money, you can let him know you know who he is.”

“I was wondering how I could get Dan to help.  That would be perfect.  Thanks, Pen, and thanks for the offer to pay.  Please, you won’t tell anyone.”

“Not a word.  Now, Gus, it is time for you to relax,” he ran his hand under Gus’ shirt and as he began to play with Gus’ nipple, he sighed.

“I think it is time to go up to that big….” Gus kissed Trent’s nose, “comfy,” Gus kissed his cheek, “bed,” Gus’ mouth lingered on his lips as they managed to stand together before breaking the kiss and rushing upstairs.

Shelby had enjoyed the day with Brinn, Taylor, and Nora.  Taylor was growing too fast and it was nice for her to join them.  She had put Tally to bed before going to her own room.  Nora helped Shelby into bed for the night.  “I miss being a nurse sometimes.  I really enjoy being a counselor but it’s different.”

“Well, you are amazing at both jobs. Thanks for staying tonight.  I’m worried about Gus.  He is so strong in some ways but in others, he will always be a tenderhearted little boy, my boy.”  Nora had Shelby sitting on the edge of the bed and Shelby adjusted herself so she sat a little further on the bed.

“Are you ready to lay down?” Nora asked and Shelby nodded.  As Nora brought her legs up Shelby jumped. “Is everything alright?”  she set Nora’s legs straight on the bed.

“Nora, I think I felt something but maybe it was just a muscle spasm or a nerve…. Maybe the massage earlier is making it react.”  

“Or, maybe you are regaining your feeling,” Nora smiled.

“I just can’t get my hopes up, Nora, or Gus’”

“I understand but it wouldn’t hurt to let your therapist know when she comes Monday and call your doctor.”

“I will.  I have been hoping but….”

“Shelby, you are one of the strongest women I have ever met.  If anyone can recover you can and if you don’t, you will just learn to do things another way.”  Nora sat on the covers of the bed next to Shelby.  “I could never share Matty like you share Gus.  I sometimes get jealous knowing Matty was with George sometimes even though I know he never had a thing for him.”

“If it meant Matty’s happiness, you would do anything for him but you don’t have to worry.  That’s not Matty’s thing and he is so devoted to you and Leo.”

“I love them both so much,” Nora said, putting her head on Shelby’s shoulder. “If you’re good for the night, I think I’ll go join my husband in that amazing bedroom upstairs.”

“Yes, go.  I might read a few minutes but I am tired.”

Nora picked up the monitor and kissed Shelby’s cheek.  “Call if you need me.”

“I’ll be fine.”   With that, Nora shut off the light switch and went to join Matty.


Brian and Justin lay in the tub in the apartment above the bar, “At least when Molly had this place done, we put in this tub.  We don’t do this nearly as often as we used to,” Justin said as his head rested on Brian’s chest. 

“I almost hate to say it but I have an odd feeling.”

“Those feelings are never good,” Brian said as he tightened his arms around Justin’s chest.

“Is it Brinn and the twins?”

“No, it’s Gus.  It’s probably just because he is stressed over Shelby and the company being so busy.”

“That would make sense,” Brian said as his hands slid across Justin’s wet chest.

“Yes, I just hope that is all.  I just keep getting this nagging feeling I had when Gus was in L.A. I am sure he isn’t doing drugs again. I am probably just feeling uncertain because we aren’t in our house.”  

“Valentine’s Day.  That’s my goal.  We will have a triple celebration.  Brinn and Zach’s and Dan and Marcus’ anniversaries. I hope we can hold a big party.”

“Well, if it isn’t ready I guess it will be a St. Patrick’s Day Party.” Justin repositioned himself so their lips met easily.  Brian’s hand moved to gently cup Justin’s balls and he began to softly massage them. “Umm, that feels so good.” Brian took that as a request for more so his hand slipped between Justin’s legs and his finger began to press inward.  Justin relaxed and let Brian in.  “I miss our old place.  I know we had talked about building a better place but that house has so many memories, good and bad.”  Justin’s voice trailed off as Brian’s finger stroked him inside and he gave into the feelings and he climaxed in Brian’s arms.


It was Wednesday when Trenton found himself in Shelby’s office with her.  He was helping her with some files they had received when Shelby said, “Trent, do you know what is bothering Gus?”

“Bothering him? How?”

“He just isn’t himself.  It is different than when he is just stressed.  He can’t sleep.  He can’t focus.” Shelby said and then took a quick breath in as her leg jerked.  It was a big enough movement that Trenton noticed.

“Shelby, are you feeling any of that?”

“Please, Trent, don’t say anything to Gus.  It may just be muscle contractions but my therapist is  hopeful.”

Trenton walked around the desk and hugged Shelby. “Oh, Shelby, that is such exciting news.”

“Thanks, but are you avoiding my question on purpose?”

“Damn, Shelby,” he took a deep breath.  “I hate breaking a promise to Gus but you deserve to know.  He didn’t want to add to your stress but, he is being blackmailed.  They want a great deal of money, more than Gus has quick access to and he won’t take it from me.  I have offered every day this week.”  

“Do you know what he thinks he has on Gus?”

“I can’t tell you that, Shelby.  Will you take my word that he has nothing to feel guilty about and we are as sure as can be that it will be a one time deal.  I tracked the person and he is just someone who is having financial difficulties.  Gus thinks, and I agree, this guy is down on his luck and desperate.  Let’s just say if the money helps this guy forget what he knows, it is worth any amount of money.” 

Shelby looked a bit frightened. “Trent, is it really that serious?”

“It could be.  It really could be.”

“Trent, are you really willing to pay it off?”

“I am. I could do a money transfer right now.”

“Then let’s try to do it,” Shelby said as she started typing.  “I never have read his texts,it isn’t my place but I can get into them online.”  Shelby was silent for a while and then she slowly looked up at Trent, “You are really willing to give us that much money?”

“Shelby, to keep this family safe I’d give you 10 times that much. You have shown me what a loving family really is and you have allowed me to be part of it. What I have is yours.  Is there a recent text?”

“Yes, he has all the details he needs to transfer the money in a text yesterday and he has until Saturday to transfer the money.”

“Can I have the computer?” Shelby turned the laptop around so Trenton could take it.  He was silent for about five minutes and then he turned the laptop back to Shelby.  His phone signaled and he pulled it out.  He pressed a few things and put his phone down.  “The money should be in his account now.”

Shelby went back to the screen that had a list of Gus’ texts and as she watched a message came in.  It said, ‘Thank you.  I’m sorry.  I will not contact you again.’  “Thank you, Trenton.  How are we ever going to repay you?”

“I don’t want to be repaid but if Gus insists he can pay me back as he can afford it.  Shelby, this is something I don’t say often but, I love all of you. Family does for family.  Blood doesn’t have anything to do with it.”

Shelby moved her chair out from behind the desk and opened her arms.  Trenton hugged her and accepted her kiss.  “I have a feeling we are both going to answer a few questions when he gets home but he is going to have to answer a few things too.” Shelby commented.

Later that night after the kids were in bed the adults sat in the living room.  Shelby had transferred herself to the sofa and Gus sat next to her and when Shelby reached out to Trent and guided him to the other side of Gus.   Shelby nodded at Trent and he took a deep breath.

“Gus, Shelby knew something was up and after I verified something was going on, we, together, went into your emails and we paid off the sum, as I’m sure you figured out. It was not worth you stressing out over money that I had to give you.  Don’t you realize that your reaction, even though you tried to hide it, it was obvious to Shelby. I don’t want you to pay me back but if you insist, fine.”

Gus sat with an almost bewildered look, “Trent, how can I thank you?”

“You can’t.  I don’t want thanks. You made me part of your family now you need to let me act like family.” Trent gave Gus a kiss as he reached over and squeezed Shelby’s hand.  “Now I’m going to leave you two alone.”

An hour later Shelby was curled against Gus, breathing in the deep breath of sleep and Gus bent his head and kissed the top of her head. He took a deep breath for the first time in weeks.  There was only one thing he wanted in life right now.  He wanted his wife to be whole again. Then his life would be perfect.