- Text Size +

Chapter 11


The holiday season had come and gone.  Danny and Elliott had announced they were expecting a baby sometime around Labor Day.   Brinn was doing well but her petite frame was already stressed from the weight of two babies. She was spending more time working from home and she was preparing Matty to take some of her work load for about six months.  She wasn’t taking any new cases herself and as she completed the cases she had, she could spend more time at home.

Nora had heard from Vicky and after having her spew all venom and hat she had, Nora asked her not to call again.  George had to admit he missed having someone to live with but he didn’t miss Vicky.  He hadn’t realized how she was affecting him.

As February grew closer, it was obvious to Brian, although he and Justin could probably move into the new house by Valentine’s Day, it would not be finished so, together, they decided to stay in town until the house was completely finished.  He was driving the workmen crazy by changing his mind so often but what was finished so far was exactly what he wanted.  He couldn’t wait for Justin, his Sunshine, to see the final product.  Justin was nearly finished with his painting series. He was working on the final painting. They were all somewhat abstract but not so abstract others didn’t know what they stood for.  The colors were lush and dramatic.  Brian had seen them and thought each one represented Justin so well.  Each painting had its own mood.  Word had started getting out that Justin Taylor-Kinney had new paintings coming out soon and he was getting calls regularly.  Everyone wanted their gallery to be the first one to display his new work.  

Trenton was still staying with Gus and as much as he loved them all, he needed to get back to his life soon.  He had signed a contract for a new book before the earthquake and he got a six month extension added right away but he would need to get back in his own routine soon and he was starting to feel like he would be able to.  Shelby had been keeping a secret from Gus.  She had been gaining feeling slowly since Thanksgiving.  After the therapist left at noon, Trenton would work with her in the afternoon.  She wanted to dance in Gus’ arms on Valentine’s Day.  Valentine’s Day was on Saturday and after knowing Brian and Justin’s house wasn’t going to be ready all the families decided to all do their own thing.  Marcus and Dan scheduled a weekend at the Lighthouse and Hannah was going to spend the weekend with Danny and Elliott.  Many of the others decided to stay home and spend time with those they loved the most.

Shelby had talked to Trenton and he said he would stay overnight with the kids while Shelby  reserved a room at one of the Kinney Enterprises Hotels nearby. She did get a handicap accessible room but she was sure at least part of the time she would be out of that chair she was starting to despise.  

Trenton was in the closet packing an overnight bag for Gus when he felt a hand on the middle of his back.  “Trent, I know this isn’t easy for you. Thank you.” Trent turned to face her and she kissed him.  “I know you love him.”  She kissed him once more.  This time it was much longer.  Trent went along with it but wasn’t sure why she was doing it.  When she backed off, she smiled.  “Sorry, Gus was joking one time about how good a kisser you are. He was kidding with me at the time but he wasn’t lying.”

Trent smiled, “You are a special woman.  And you are right. I do love him, Shelby, but he never hides anything from anyone.  I knew what to expect from day one.” Trent put an arm around her, seeing she was getting a little unstable standing there too long.  “If he is happy, I’m happy.  Why don’t you sit down?” He helped her sit on the little chair in the closet.  He knelt down by her so he was eye to eye with her. “Shelby, I never expected to love him, not like I do.  I had never loved anyone but Adam.  I guess as a child I loved my parents but when they rejected me that was how I saw love.  And once Adam was gone, I never expected to love again. Gus was such a great guy I thought, excuse me but I thought he would be a great lay when I needed one.”

Shelby smiled, “Go on.” She reached out and took his hand.

“Well, I think I knew it when Adam died.  Gus was there for me and you let him. I may not ‘have it all’ but I have what I need.”

“Well, Trent, if you ever need him let me know.  We are here for you.  I hope you come and visit when you go back home next week.”

“I will.  I will want to see all of you, too.” He stood and then helped Shelby up and supported her into the bedroom and helped her into her chair.  He went back and got Gus’ bag and grabbed the one Shelby had packed for herself.  “I’ll go put these in the back of your vehicle. And Tally will be home very soon.  Damn, I’m going to miss that little one.”

“The feeling is mutual.  I expect to have a weepy girl for a few days.  Maybe you’ll come for dinner every week or every two.”

“I’d like that, Shelby.” Trent walked out of the room and stopped.  He swallowed hard a couple times and then just pressed his forehead on the wall and let the emotions roll over him.  He then took a deep breath and went on with the bags.  He smiled to himself and thought, ‘Maybe it is time for me to go home.  When did I become such a wimp?’  He wasn’t sure but he thought he liked this new feeling.                  

When Gus arrived home on Friday.  Shelby had a surprise for both Gus and Trent.  She had made a reservation for the men.  They rarely went out in public together but she had made arrangements for them to have a private dining room that she said was for a business meeting when she made the reservation acting like a secretary.  She then was sending them to Trenton’s house.  She would have Gus the next evening but both her men deserved this.

The men both cleaned up and thirty minutes later they were in Trenton’s car.  It had been a long time since they had spent time together, alone.  It almost scared Trent how much he needed this time with Gus.  He had never needed anyone like this.  He and Adam had needed each other but, probably because of all that was going on in Gus’ life and because Gus needed him, it made his need even stronger.  As they ate the conversation was on Gus’ kids and Shelby but as they finished the main course, they ordered dessert to go.  When the server left to get their dessert and bill, Gus reached out and stroked Trent’s cheek, “Pen, what am I going to do next week when I can’t see you every day?”

“We have been able to have dinner together most nights but we really haven’t spent much time, just the two of us.  Hopefully Shelby will feel comfortable being alone with the kids soon and we can get you at my house a little more often,” Trent almost felt guilty but he would know everything tomorrow.  “Shelby talked about coming for dinner so maybe,” Trent’s hand slid to the back of Gus’ head and then he grabbed a handful of hair. He brought his mouth to meet his and shots of electricity ran through both of them as  their lips melded together. As they heard the door knob turning, they quickly separated but both were flushed and under the table each had a hand on the other’s thigh. When they asked about the check, they were told it had been taken care of and they were welcome to stay as long as they liked but within moments Gus and Trenton had left through the back door. Once they were in the car, Trenton got out of town as quickly as he could.  They didn’t say much on the ride but they held hands as they drove. 

As they got off the main road and got near Trenton’s house, Gus’ looked at Trent, “Pen, I … the money…. I wish I had it paid back but by the end of the month I will have another $50,000 ready to deposit. I am sorry…”

Trenton turned into the drive of his house and then pulled into his garage and turned off the car before turning to Gus, “Shut up.  How many times do I have to tell you, you don’t owe me anything. I have gotten so much more from you than you have gotten from me. Money is nothing.  I have plenty of that.  Now, let’s take our dessert, and start a fire in the fire pit. It’s cold but I think with enough blankets and the fire…”

Gus got out with the dessert and moved to the front of the car. Trent met him in front and pulled him.  Gus looked deep in his eyes, “I am sure we can find some way to keep warm”   Trent started the fire pit near and a couple other porch heaters he had out there. It would at least take the deep chill out of the air. Gus made a pot of tea he poured into a thermos, He carried it out along with the dessert,  and one spoon. They sat near the firepit and Gus fed a bite of the dark fudgy cake to Trent who in turn kissed Gus sharing the sweet goodness.  The next bite came from Gus’ finger after dragging it through the frosting and then putting his finger into Trent’s mouth.  Trent held on to his wrist as he wrapped his tongue around Gus’ finger making him groan with need.   Gus smeared some of the frosting on Trent’s neck and licked it off and then Trent pulled off Gus’ shirt before creating a chocolate trail from his chest down to the waist of his pants and then, together, they moved to the bed and as Trent’s tongue traveled downward his hands were undoing Gus’ belt and fly. By the time Trent’s tongue had cleaned the trail of chocolate, Gus had worked Trent’s shirt out of his pants and soon they lay naked under two quilts.

“Gus,” Trent said as he pulled Gus’ pelvis against his, “I don’t want you to say anything, just listen. Meeting you is the best thing that has ever happened to me.  That’s not saying anything against Adam but you, my love, have given me a family.  You have given me people who care about me.  Your family has shown me what love is and should be.”  Trent carefully turned Gus over and as he slid his condom covered cock into him he said, “I love you, Gus Kinney. And I don’t want you to love me. You belong to Shelby.”  Trent quit talking and together the men shouted as they came.


Justin did not make it to the apartment on Friday night.  He also didn’t respond to his texts so Brian was sure he would find him at the studio.  About 6:00 am, Brian couldn’t lay there without him any longer. He dressed and went to their favorite bakery.  It was still closed but he knocked on the back door and with a bit of bribery he left with a half dozen strawberry cream filled croissants. He then stopped at the coffee shop and picked up two large coffees and was glad to find  they had a few small bouquets for sale near the cash register.   Brian then drove over to Tyler and Molly’s.  Justin’s car was parked right where he expected it to be.  His hands were full but when he got to the door he managed to open the door and then realized it hadn’t been locked which upset him.  “Sunshine?” he said softly, not hearing a sound.  He walked further into the apartment and looked in the bedroom but he wasn’t in there.  He moved up the stairs to the loft with breakfast in his hands. “Justin?”  Then he saw him. He was curled up in an overstuffed chair. Brian’s heart skipped a beat.  For just a split second he saw that seventeen year old boy he met that night.  God, he had fallen for him that night but decided that was ridiculous.  Brian Kinney could not fall in love with anyone let alone a kid. But he did love him and it had just grown over the 35 years they had been together.  He set the box of rolls and coffee on the small table and walked over to the chair and bent to kiss him on his perfect lips. “Good Morning, Sunshine.”

Justin jumped a bit but then reached up and stroked Brian’s cheek as he smiled at him. He pulled Brian back down and kissed Brian again, taking it slow and deep. When he let Brian stand up again he said, “Happy Valentine’s Day, darling. Sorry I didn’t make it home.  I worked until 4:00 and then I was just going to grab a quick nap.”

“I brought breakfast.  I picked up those strawberry croissants you like so much and some coffee.  Brian pulled a straight chair over and set the box of treats on it and then handed Justin his coffee.  He squeezed into the chair next to Justin and took the opportunity to kiss him once more. “Oh, I almost forgot,” Brian said as he opened the box of pastries.  He had tucked the small bouquet in the box and handed it to his love.

“Oh, they are so sweet.” He kissed Brian, “I’m sorry I fell asleep.  I wanted to finish my painting.”

“You got Love finished?”

“Brian Kinney, love is never finished!” He licked some of the cream out of the center of the pastry causing Brian to shiver.  “Did you like that?” Justin now moved and licked some of the cream and strawberries out of Brian’s and then kissed him.   He brought his mouth to Brian’s ear, “Make love to me, Brian.”

Brian took Justin’s pastry and coffee and set them aside and stood.  He offered his hand to Justin who willingly went into Brian’s arms.  They undressed each other as they touched and kissed and then Brian bent Justin over the back of the chair and they made love.  As Brian moved in and out he pulled Justin up against his chest and as he used small motions he kissed Justin’s neck as they climaxed together.         

They slowly redressed and finished their breakfast after heating their coffee in the microwave. After they finished eating, Justin led Brian to look at the last painting.  There were no figures in the picture but Brian knew instantly how to interpret it.  The painting was done in section although they were not exact sections.  On the top left there were five different colors that interrelated with each other.  They weren’t restricted to the area as some of the colors trailed into the rest of the painting.  At the top of that section there was a beam of light adding light spots throughout.  

“That’s Gus and the family.” Brian said as he pointed to the light, “And Gabrial is watching over them.” Brian looked back at the painting and noticed the hint of light throughout the whole painting.  “He’s here with all of us.  And this section,” he pointed to the remainder of the top portion. “That is so Brinn and Zach.” There was like a whirlwind on that side.  There was a definite color for Brinn and Zach and then a color for Justice.  Both Brinn and Justice’s colors met up with a color on Gus’ family.  Brian could only think Gus and Brinn’s colors met and Justice and Tally’s because of their close bond. Circling their family were two colors that had to be the twins.  Below Gus’ section was mostly a solid color which had the rough shape of a heart surrounded by all of the other colors in the painting.  Brian pulled Justin against him.  “That’s me, isn’t it?”  He looked at the corner that was so obviously him.

The rest of the painting was a multitude of colors that all played with each other.  Brian looked at Justin, “That’s all our extended family, right?”

“Yes. They are what makes our family complete.”  Justin saw Brian looking at the final small section of the painting that was a solid cream color. “That section is for those we are yet to meet. This painting is love, present and future.”    

Brian stepped back and looked at the whole picture again.  At first glance it was a large painting that was beautifully colored and anyone would find it interesting but it emanated family.  It excluded love.      

“I am thinking Kinney Enterprises will be purchasing this series for our headquarters.”

“I’m not sure Mr. Kinney can afford them.”

“Could he maybe pay out in trade?”

“I might be willing to come up with some kind of agreement,” Justin turned and kissed Brian.  “I feel really good about this series.”

“You should, Sunshine.  All of your paintings are excellent but this set…. You are amazing.”


Valentine’s Day was for families and lovers.  Brian and Justin offered to take Juss for the night since it was Brinn and Zach’s anniversary but they decided they would have a family day since by next year there would be three children.  

When Gus had gotten home from Trenton’s, Shelby sprung part of her surprise on him.  “Gus, I made reservations for us for an early dinner.”

“Is someone coming for the kids?”

“Gus, our daughter is almost 16.  It’s an early dinner.  They will be fine and we are only going into town.”     

“It is just hard to remember she is that old. I guess I am just glad she doesn’t have a date.”

“I think she could have had a date.  I heard part of a conversation.  She definitely has at least one boy interested but I think since the earthquake and my issues, she has stopped her life for her family.” Shelby said with a note of sadness.  “She shouldn’t have to put her life on hold for me.”

Gus didn’t say anything but he put his arms around his wife, who was on the edge of the bed.   “Can I help you change, not that you have to?  You look beautiful already.”             

“Good save, Kinney, but yes, I think I would like to wear a dress, if any of them still fit.  I I have gained weight sitting in this chair.”

“Shelby, can I pick a dress for you?  I think I know one that will look perfect for tonight and I know I will enjoy taking it off of you.”

Shelby flushed, “Yes, please.”  Gus went upstairs to their bedroom and was gone for some time.  It was nearly ten minutes before Gus returned with a garment bag and some low heeled gold shoes.  She could see he even brought jewelry and a hair barrette.  Shelby couldn’t figure out what could be in the bag. “Are you going to keep me in suspense?”       

Gus smiled and he hung the garment bag on a hook on the back of the door. “I was hoping this dress was still in there, and it was.  I don’t  know if you ever knew how much I loved it.”  He unzipped the bag and pulled out a deep rose color dress.  It took Shelby a minute to even place it.  

“Gus, that dress is 16 years old.  It was way too tight but I wore it for Valentine’s the year I was pregnant with her.”                          

“It is such a gorgeous color on you and I figured with your bag a little more room would be nice.”

Since she knew he would notice as he helped her change, she told him, “I haven’t had a chance  to tell you but because of my exercises, my internal muscles have strengthened enough to stop using it.”

Gus smiled, “Does that mean…” he walked toward Shelby and she opened her arms.  “Are we going to be able to…”

“I can’t promise but I am hoping.  I want nothing more than to have you ….” his mouth stopped her sentence.

“I love you, Shelly,” he kissed her and began to pull her shirt off. “We better get ready so we aren’t late for our reservation.” 

Gus took care in getting Shelby’s dress on.  It fit pretty good for a dress over 15 years old and as Shelby did her hair she realized this was a good color on her.  She may have to find a new dress since she knows Gus likes it.  As she curled her hair she realized she was a little nervous.  She thought he would be happy but she knew he could be upset because she had kept it from him. She had her reasons.  She knew if her recovery stopped he would be devastated.  Now that her cath was gone she felt sure it was only a matter of time.  And tonight she was going to make love with her husband and she prayed she was able to….

“Are you ready, Shelly?”  Gus walked into the bathroom.  “Oh Shelby, you look stunning.” He kissed her and as he stood she looked at him carefully.  He had showered and smelled devine.  His thick curls were on the long side but if she had to be honest, she liked it that way.  He was wearing trousers that she knew had been tailor made for him and the shirt was a light rose color that looked as though he had it made to go with her dress.

“God, Gussy, you are so gorgeous.  Let’s get out of here.  I want you to myself for a few hours.”

“And you are sure Taylor is good with….”

“Taylor is fine with this,” Taylor stood in the door holding Tallia.  “Don’t Mommy and Daddy look nice?” Taylor asked her little sister.

“Mommy so pretty.” Tallia said as Gus took her from Taylor.

“Yes, she is.” Gus kissed her and put her down. He then hugged Taylor, “Thanks, Darling.  I am sure you could have thought of something more exciting to do tonight.”

“That’s Ok, Daddy.  I don’t mind.  You and Mom deserve time alone. You better get going so you don’t miss your reservations.”  Shelby winked at Taylor who nodded ever so slightly.  Soon Gus and Shelby were on the road to town. 

On the way they talked about their kids and Brinn and the babies but as Gus pulled into the parking spot, Shelby reached for his hand,  “Darling, tonight can we leave everything behind? I just want to be with you and not think about anything else.”

“Of course, Shel. Our kids and family are fine. Tonight it is you and me.”  Gus kissed her hand and then got out of the car and retrieved her chair from the back of the SUV and then assisted Shelby into it.  As they were escorted to their table Shelby transferred from her chair to the normal chair by the table.  She made the excuse that she didn’t want to block the aisle in the cozy, romantic eatery on one of the busiest nights of the year.. Shelby had ordered the meal in advance so their appetizers arrived with a bottle of wine and as they ate Shelby asked Gus about work.

“I’m going to be hiring someone to take over the construction side of the business.  I want to focus on the architecture side and restoring older structures.  I want to modernize the old while keeping the integrity of it’s heritage.”

“You already do that, Gussy,” Shelby said as she reached over and wiped a drop of sauce from the corner of his mouth.  She brought it up to her mouth and licked it off her finger. 

“Shelby, you haven’t said much about work lately.  It’s amazing you have been able to work at all.”

“Well, it’s thanks to Trenton.  I understand why you care about him so much.  We all do now.  I just heard we got the massive grant he helped me write.”   Shelby saw the smile on Gus’ face. “He is pretty wonderful.”

“I’m so glad you like him.”

“I always have but now, when you go to his house, I will feel much more comfortable.”  

Their main course arrived and they ate making small talk about the food as they shared bites.  Music began to play and people moved onto the floor.  Gus looked at Shelby and mistook her facial expression for sadness instead of nervousness.  “Shelly, baby, it doesn’t matter if we can’t dance.  I really don’t…”

Shelby moved her chair back a few inches while Gus’ mouth dropped open.  He knew she couldn’t push back like that without using her legs.  “Gus, will you dance with me?” Slowly, using the table for stability. “I’m not running any races but with your arms around me….”

Gus stood with tears streaming down his cheeks. He took his wife into his arms and kissed her as they moved out onto the floor. Shelby wrapped her arms around his neck  and he put his arms around her waist helping support her.  As she rested her head on his shoulder she whispered, “I hope you don’t mind I surprised you.”

“Oh, honey, this is the best….” he kissed her again. 

“One more thing, we are staying at the hotel tonight. I have a room for us.”

“Oh Shel, do you think we should leave the kids alone overnight?”

“Of course not, Gussy.  Trent is there by now.  He is sleeping there tonight and then when we get home tomorrow you can help him move all his stuff home, if you want.” 

“Right now, all I want is you! I am so proud of you.” He felt her legs start to give just a bit and guided her back to the table. “Who knows about this? About your legs?”

“Well, my doctor and therapist of course and Trenton.  He helped me every afternoon.  He also packed your overnight bag for you.”  

“Gotta love that guy…” Gus froze the minute the words were out of your mouth.  “Shelly, I didn’t…”

“It’s all good.  Like I just said, we all love him.”  Shelby wasn’t sure why but Trent never felt like a threat to her family like Seth had.  Trent was part of the family.  “Now, unless you want to eat it here, they are sending boxed dessert home with everyone.”

“Let’s get out of here.”   They brought her chair and as Gus rolled her out, their fellow diners applauded.  No one had missed what had happened. 


Trenton had arrived with pizza for the kids.  He was surprised Gage wasn’t waiting at the door.  He was usually the first one in the kitchen.  “Pizza is here.” 

“Yeah, Trenton.  Kiss please.” Trenton smiled as he walked over and scooped up Gus’ youngest daughter, giving her a hug and kiss.

“And where is your brother?” he asked Tallia but looked at Taylor over her head.

Taylor responded, “He’s in his room.  I am not sure what is up with him.  He was texting with a friend and then he just disappeared upstairs.”

“You two go ahead and I’ll go check on him.” Trenton grabbed one of the pizzas and went up to Gage’s room. He knocked on the door. “Hey, Gage, can I come in?”

“Ya, I guess,” Gage’s voice came through the door.        

“Thought you could use some pizza.” He dropped the box next to Gage on the floor and sat down beside him.  He opened the box and grabbed a piece of pizza and took a bite.  He just sat there silently watching Gage play his game.  

“Fuck!” Gage said as he messed up.  He threw the remote across the room and then picked up a piece of pizza and bit into it.

“Want to talk about it?” Trent grabbed a second piece.

Gage took a couple more bites and then dropped the piece of pizza back on the box.  “I …. Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure, Gage.”

“How did you know you would rather be with guys than girls?”

“I just knew.  It wasn’t that I didn’t like girls.  And if I can say it, they seemed to like me,” he winked at Gage, “but a girl never made my stomach flip or my….”  Trent stopped.  “What started this topic?”

“There’s a guy I know and I really like him but he asked me to go to the movies with him.  I just don’t think I’m into guys like that.  I mean I like him but I don’t want him to think I like him like that. But I don’t want to hurt his feelings. I mean he takes so much shit from some of the guys already.”

“Oh, Gage, it sounds like you are a great friend. I think you just need to be honest.  Tell him you will always be his friend and you will stand by his side but you do need to tell him that girls do it for you.  If you’re straight forward with him and don’t change the way you act around him, he will understand and he’ll be glad you didn’t string him along or react negatively.”

“Trent, do you and my dad really….”

“Gage, you know I’m not going to talk about your dad and me but know this, that above all else your family’s happiness is most important.  I would never, ever do anything to hurt any of you.  I have come to love all of you.”

Gage looked over at Trent, “Are you really moving out tomorrow?”

“Yes, I have to get back to work.  But, Gage, if you ever need to talk to someone besides your mom and dad, all you have to do is call or text.”

Gage surprised Trenton when he moved a little closer and put his head on Trent’s shoulder.  “I’m going to miss you.”

Trent had a hard time swallowing as he put an arm around Gage’s shoulders.  “I am going to miss you, too.”  He kissed the top of Gage’s head and then picked up the piece of pizza and took another bite.  “Gage, I really should go give Taylor a break from Tally.  I’d love it if you want to join us downstairs but if you want to just hang up here, that’s alright.  I’ll leave the pizza.”  He picked up one more piece and walked out.

Trenton saw an anxious look on Taylor’s face, “Go, I’ve got her.  I am guessing you have something planned with friends online?” She nodded. “Thank you for letting your parents have this night.”

“Trenton, do you know if Mom’s starting to get better? I was sure I saw her foot moving the other day.”

“Promise to act surprised tomorrow, but yes, she has started walking again. Not a lot but it won’t be long and she will be walking everywhere.”

Taylor blinked rapidly.  Trent hugged her, “I know this has been really stressful for you and you stepped up to help so many times.  Enjoy the rest of the night.  If you need anything, I’m here. Tally and I have a date to watch Mary Poppins and have a little ice cream later, if you want to join us, you won’t interrupt our date.?”

Taylor smiled, “Thanks, Trent.  I’ll see.  We’re going to miss you.”  She kissed his cheek and moved up the stairs.  


Gus helped Shelby walk into the hotel and then supported her on the elevator up to the penthouse. There was a bouquet of roses and a bottle of champagne.  “Wow, Shel,” he helped her to the chair, “You thought of everything.”

“I didn’t do that,” Shelby said as Gus walked over to the table.

Gus pulled the card out of the flowers, “Enjoy your night!  You deserve it.  Trent.” 

“I’m going to miss seeing him every day,” Shelby said as she smiled at Gus. He walked over to her and took her in his arms.  He kissed her long and hard and when he took half a step back she sighed. “I want more, Gus.  I want much, much more. The doctor says I can make love but he said no extra tricks.”

Gus pulled her back into his arms and started kissing down her neck as one arm helped hold her up at the waist.  “Gus, the bed please.”  Shelby was already undoing his fly.  Before he had her sit his hands went to the hem of her dress and pulled it off over her head.  He reached around and undid her bra and finally he tugged her underwear down and as he helped her sit back on the bed he dropped to his knees. It had been too long since he had done this.  

He had craved the taste of her but knew she would have been uncomfortable.  Now as his tongue located her clit Shelby cried out almost instantly.  Her whole body reacted as his tongue savored the flavor of her.

“Gus, please, I need you.  I need you inside me. I haven’t felt you for so long!”  Gus undressed as fast as he could and soon was buried inside her. He tried to hold back but it had been so long. As the tension grew in both of them, Gus’ mouth came down on hers muffling the scream that was in her throat.  Spasms ran through both of them and then Gus rolled to the side, taking her with him.  “I love you, Gus Kinney!”

“That...was...amazing!” Gus said still out of breath. “Are you ….I didn’t hurt you, did I?”

“Oh, no...that was perfect.  Our life can’t get any better.”

“Well, after a nap we might try for just a little better.” Gus said as he pulled her closer as they drifted off.


Zach reached over Brinn and opened the drawer of the night stand. She was still catching her breath from her orgasm.  He pulled out a box and then helped Brinn sit up, propping a pillow behind her. “For you, my love.”

“Oooo,” she squealed.   Before opening the box she turned to kiss Zach once more.  They had eaten dinner with Juss and then watched a movie with her.  After putting her to bed, it was their time and now Brinn was holding a long narrow box.  She lifted the lid and nestled on a bed of satan was a bracelets with gemstones and three charms.  The center was a little girl with Justice engraved on it.  The other two charms were boys.  “Oh, Zach, it is so perfect.”  Brinn started to tear up.  “I’m sorry, Zach.  I was going to get you something but then after work I was just too tired and then I was going to order…”

Zach put his finger on Brinn’s mouth and then wiped away a tear, “Brinn, don’t you know what you give to me every day? You gave me Justice and soon,” he rested his hand on her large belly.  “And you are keeping three humans alive.  I can’t wait to meet our sons.”

“Two months to wait.  I hope I don’t…. I’m scared, Chase.”

“Lulu, I hope you can carry them two more months but they will be fine, even if you have them a little early.” He kissed her once more and this time his hand rested on one of her sensitive nipples. She lay back as she felt tension building already deep in her core.


Justin moved down Brian’s still lean body as he dropped kisses as he went.  There was not a millimeter of skin he wasn’t familiar with.  There were a few wrinkles and scars that had come over the years but everyone had a story that made him love him more. When Justin’s tongue played in his navel Brian shivered, anticipating what would come next.  He didn’t have to wait long.  Justin’s tongue drew a line downward and then arrived at his goal.  Brian was already at full attention as Justin took all of him in while one of his hands cupped his balls.  Justin teased and taunted him until Brian reached down and pulled Justin up and then rolled him over.  Brian put Justin’s undamaged leg on his shoulder and then he entered him slowly.  As he moved he kissed Justin at the end of each stroke. As they both began to lose control, Justin said, “It’s like the …..Oh, god……” Justin cried out as they both came, “Like the first time.”

Brian moved to free Justin’s leg and then collapsed on top of him. “It is always like the first time. You are still as perfect as you were that night.”

“Well, not quite,” he instinctively reached down and rubbed his leg, “And, you know, my flexibility is nothing like it was back then.”

“You know I don’t give a fuck about that. I will always love you.”

“We will always love each other.  Tell me about our new house,” Justin said as they faced each other, touching each other just to keep the connection.

Brian spoke softly about the layout and told him in the next couple weeks he would need Justin to help make decisions on some colors and finishes.  Gus’ foreman had promised if the last decisions could be made this week, they would be in the week before St. Patrick’s Day.  The time was finally drawing close.

“Brian, we have been putting it off but do you think we could go through the box they recovered from the rubble.  It has all the old pictures and papers.  Some may be too damaged to save but I hope we can. We just need to have it done before we move in or it will never get done.”

“I don’t see I have a lot of choices here.  You’re right, we need to get it done.  Tomorrow is as good as any time.”  Brian drew Justin close and kissed him passionately, “Happy Valentine’s, Sunshine.” He kept him close and drifted off to sleep.


Justin woke early and went to the kitchen.  He was slicing fruit when Brian came up behind him. “You’re up early,” he said as he kissed Justin’s neck.  Brian sniffed in the air.

“Cinnamon Rolls. I woke up and started thinking about those pictures.  I know it isn’t your favorite thing but I am kind of excited about seeing them. We have had a wonderful life together and all the memories that go with that.  Why don’t you get the boxes and put them in the living room and I will  check on the rolls.”  In response, Brian kissed him and went to find the boxes.

An hour later, Brian made a second pot of coffee while Justin moved the few items they couldn’t part with.  The next box would take a lot longer.  It was full of pictures. As Justin lifted the lid, he heard his phone ping.  He picked it up and read the message. He rushed over to Brian and kissed him noisily.  “Look!” he held his phone up to Brian. On the phone was a 15 second video of Shelby walking across the room.

Brian picked him up and twirled him around, “Life is really good, isn’t it! Let’s offer to bring them all dinner tonight to celebrate.”

“Perfect.  You let Gus know we will be at their place around 6:00 with dinner for everyone.”  Justin took his phone and contacted George.  Yes, he could have one of his chefs make up something for them.  They decided on a simple fajita bar  with different meats and other toppings. Sundaes for dessert was a simple meal for them to put together at the last minute.  

Brian grabbed a basket that was on the counter and filled it with photos. He brought the basket to the counter and sat down on the bar stool.  “I may have agreed to do this but I am too old to sit on the floor all day.”

“And here I thought I would just sit naked cross legged across from you, hoping my junk would motivate you..”

“Your junk always motivates me but we would not get anything done then,” Brian pulled a stack of pictures out of the basket.  “At least the more recent pictures are all on the computer.”   The first picture Brian pulled out was one of Brinn standing in front of boarding school.  “Remember how mad she was when it was time for us to leave? She was so upset that Tina wasn’t allowed to contact her.”

“That was one of the hardest days of my life.  I still don’t know if that was the right thing to do,” Justin leaned against Brian.  

“We didn’t have a lot of choice.  She was so much smarter than us.  She needed to be challenged.” Brian wrapped an arm around him and kissed his temple.  “You know that’s true.”

“That doesn’t make it any easier.”  Justin said as he picked up another stack of pictures. There were some pictures that were too damaged to save and there were some they pieced together a bit and took a picture of the picture to save the memory.  

“Brian, I don’t remember this.  I know it is John and Tony’s wedding.  I don’t remember much of that day.”

“That’s because Claire caused you to….”  Brian gritted his teeth a bit.

“We both know it was the booze and she may have sped up my problem but it wasn’t her fault.  We both know I wasn’t feeling well long before that.”

“I know but I was so happy for the boys and then I saw you collapsed on the ground and her swaying over top of you.  I wanted to kill her there and then.”  Brian growled.

“It all turned out well.  Claire will never be my favorite person but she has a happy life now.  She deserves that as much as you do.”  He put a hand on the back of Brian’s head and guided it to his. The kiss was gentle and sweet. “Remember, she had the same parents you did.”

They went back to the stack of pictures sorting and getting rid of the damaged ones, making comments about many of the pictures.. Justin noticed Brian looking at four different pictures.  “What do you have there?”

“Some of our wedding.  We do have our wedding album, don’t we?”

“Oh, yes, that was saved, only a little scuffed up.  Those must be some candids that were taken.” He draped an arm around Brian’s shoulder and looked at the picture.  Every time I saw you in those jeans the only thing I could think of was getting you out of them.” Justin started kissing his neck.  “That was the best day of my life.”

Brian pulled him close, “I remember seeing you in the distance and thought why the hell did it take me so long to do this?”

“Gus was so small, yet.  And Brinn was on the way.”

“Let’s plan on going to Ibiza  once the babies are here.  Not for too long but a couple weeks.  The babies will be too small at our anniversary but maybe in March.  Do you supposed Dan and Marcus would want to meet us there for a few days?”

“Oh, Brian, that sounds perfect.”   Justin went past one with Gus in his leg cast with Lucky in his bed but he past that one and then found another of Gus on his crutches.  “Look at Gussy.  He was so brave.”

“And all because he didn’t think we loved him enough to share our last name.  It nearly killed me.” Brian said with a waver in his voice.  “I just never felt like I knew how to be a father.  Not after my own was such a loser.”

“Brian, you were always a good father.”

“I learned most of it watching you.” Brian looked back at the stack of pictures in front of him. He flipped through them quietly for a few minutes. 

Justin noticed Brian had been looking at the same picture a long time. “Brian?” Justin saw Brian was visibly shaken. “What is it?”

“I am  65 and just seeing them….”  

Justin looked at the picture in Brian’s hand.  He had seen it before but only once or twice.  There was a young Jack and Joan Kinney with their kids about eight and six years of age.  They all had  forced smiles.  Joan was looking at her husband but there was an undercurrent of disdain. Claire stood in front of Joan, with her people pleaser smile on her face and then there was Brian.  The tightness of Jack’s grip on his shoulder was obvious and when you looked close you could see Brian didn’t have a smile but a grimace.  “Why did you take this picture?”

“I think it was Easter Sunday.  It was the one  time a year my dad  would go to church with us. Dad went home ahead of us and by the time he got home, he had already had a couple and mom had just told him to hold onto me or I would be dirty before the neighbor snapped the picture.  Damn, I can still feel those fingers…” Brian shivered.  He stood and walked to the window.  He looked out on the street.  Justin could picture Brian standing in the loft in Pittsburgh. More than once, usually around holidays or his birthday, he had found Brian standing just like that.  He would overthink his family situation. If they had only shown him they were proud of him once. But that never did happen.  

Justin walked up behind him and put his arms around his waist and laid his head on his back.  “When it comes to parents, we are always kids.  They hurt you over and over and you learned from their mistakes.”  

Brian pulled away and moved toward the steps that led downstairs to the wine bar.  “I’m done for the day.  I’ll get some wine to take to Gus’.”

Justin watched him go.  Gus didn’t need wine.  He had a wine cellar full of it but he knew Brian needed space.  They loved each other and hated being apart but this small apartment was starting to get to them.  They needed their place and it didn’t help that they were going through what is left of their old home.


Shelby and Gus arrived home early in the afternoon.  Shelby walked into the house on her own power and Taylor and Gage met them at the door.  Gus scooped up Tally who wanted to get in on the hugs. After both of the big kids had time to hug their mom, Shelby moved in and sat on a stool by the kitchen bar and then Gus handed Tallia over.  “Oh, Mommy, you found your legs again!”

“Yes, Love, I did and tonight we are going to celebrate.  Where is Trent?” Shelby asked.

Taylor looked over at her dad, “He’s upstairs packing.  Does he really have to go?  Can he stay here?”

Gus pulled Taylor into his arms and kissed his daughter’s cheek, “Oh, Tay, we all know Trenton has to live his own life in his own place but he always has a house and family to come to anytime he wants.”

“Mom, do you mind if Dad goes up and checks on Trenton?”

“Of course not.  Gus, go invite him for dinner since he is one of the guests of honor.”

“Mommy, are we having a party?”

“Yes, Juss is coming and your grandpas and of course Aunt Brinn and Uncle Zach.”

“Yeah! I love you, Mommy.”

“I love you, too, sweetheart.  Mommy could use a rest, will you come rest with me?”

“Sure.” 

Shelby looked at her older children. “I love both of you, too.  I couldn’t have better kids.”


Gus walked into Trenton’s room and found him sitting in the overstuffed chair.  His bags were packed by the door.  When he saw Gus standing there he stood up in slow motion and walked over to him. That’s when Gus noticed tears in his eyes, “Pen, what is it?” He put his arms around his lover and kissed his tear stained cheeks. 

Trenton pulled him close and kissed him deeply. When he loosened his hold a bit he said, “I I know I am ready to go home, but I will miss your children and your wife.  And of course you but I know, well I hope, I’ll keep seeing you.”

“Trenton, you are welcome here anytime.  My kids and my wife love you. And face it, since you moved in, you and I have had a lot less sex than when you live at your place.”  Gus ran his hand over Trenton’s ass.  “By the way, you need to stay for dinner.  My dads are bringing food over around 6:00 to celebrate Shelby.  You could have told me!”

“I made a promise to your wife.”

“What has my wife ever done for you…..Well I hope she’s never done…”

Trent laughed, “I would defend any of your family with my life but you never have to worry about me doing anything…  I only have eyes for you.”  


Justin left Brian alone for an hour and then went down to the bar.  He had a feeling where he’d be and when he opened the door to Gus’ old office he saw him sitting behind the old desk.  When Brian had finished college, his work was his safe place. It was his place to find consistency and he still felt safety in an office.  

When Brian saw Justin he stood and enfolded him in his arms, “I’m sorry, Sunshine.  I know I promised to help with all the pictures.”

“It’s alright.  I did a quick sort.  I got rid of those that couldn’t be saved and you and I can go through the last of them in the next couple days. You Ok?”

“Yes, I feel like a jackass.  They have both been gone so long.  Why do I care anymore?”

“You don’t, but young Brian,” Justin tapped his chest, “who is still alive deep inside there, still wishes he had been loved.”

“But, Sunshine, you have made up for that so many times.  And our kids and the rest of the family really have made up for that.”

“You can never make up for the loss of a childhood but you are giving the grandkids something you never got and you get to live through their joy.  Brian, we are going to have two more babies to hold in just a few months.”

“I know.  I am done moping now.”

“‘I’m glad to hear that because I want to go upstairs and make love before we head over and be with that amazing family we created.”

 

“I love the way you think,” Brian pulled in for one more kiss before they found their way to the bedroom and into their favorite place, bed.