- Text Size +

Chapter 12


Brian and Justin arrived at Gus and Shelby’s just as Brinn and Zach arrived with Juss.  “Papas!” Juss ran into Brian’s arms.  He swooped her up and hugged her tightly. 

Justin kissed her cheek and then whispered in Brian’s ear, “This is worth everything, isn’t it?”

Brian put one of his arms around Justin and kissed Juss, “Let’s go find Tally.”

“Papa, is she lost?”

Brian and Justin both laughed as they went up to the door.  Behind them Zach was helping Brinn out of the car.  He saw her cringe as she moved.  “What can I do to help?”  Zach asked as he helped her stand up.

“Chase, can you make the next month disappear.  I’m not sure I can make another two month,” she commented as her feet touched the ground.  “I can’t see my feet and none of my shoes fit.  I’m lucky we don’t have any snow or frost since sandals are all I can get on my feet.”

“At least you don’t have to go into the office anymore and you don’t have much to do to complete your last case, right?”

“I know, but I don’t know how much bigger my body can get.  I feel like that old movie Alien and am waiting to split open. I don’t know how they can grow anymore.”  They walked into the house and Brinn moved to a chair to sit down.  Everyone cheered as Shelby walked slowly into the room from her bedroom.  Tally came running right behind her and into Justin’s arms but after a quick hug and kiss the two small girls ran over to the toy area. Gus opened a bottle of wine and with Trent’s help they passed out glasses.  They opened a bottle of nonalcoholic for Brinn and Trenton and everyone toasted to Shelby’s full recovery.  

The food was delivered and George’s employee set everything up and offered to stay and serve.  Brian walked over and gave the young woman two $100 dollar bills, “Thank you but we got this.  Tell George we will drop the pans off tomorrow morning and if he needs any of it earlier he has my number.” The girl thanked Brian multiple times as she left the house and then he went to help Brian, along with Taylor, get the food out on the counter. Shelby was sitting next to Brinn while their husbands brought them plates of food.  Zach went back and helped  get the two little girls each some food and had them sit by a small table near the toys while everyone else got their own plates.  Gus stood next to Trent as they got their food.  Gus leaned close and kissed Trent under his ear where he could feel his pulse, before walking over and sitting next to Shelby.  

Gage was very quiet for Gage.  Brian was sitting next to him and noticed he was picking at his food. Brian waited until Gage got up and went to the living room and he followed him.  He dropped onto the sofa next to his grandson and put his arm around the back.  “Gage, what’s bothering you?  Anything I can do?”

Gage stared at the TV for a few moments before he dropped his head on Brian’s shoulder and Brian tightened his arms around him. “Grandpa, I …. I have had some bad feelings.”

“Bad feelings? Gage, you are not that kind….”

“I wished Mom didn’t get better.”

Brian tried not to react but said, “That doesn’t sound like something you would do.”

“But I did! Because I don’t want Trent to leave.  He gets me and he always makes time for me.  I don’t want to lose him. He was my adult.  I know that sounds funny but Tallia still needs Mom all the time and Taylor is a daddy’s girl.  Trenton gets me.  He gave me great advice about sex just this weekend.”

Now Brian had to hold back a snicker, “Gage, you are a Kinney.  I can’t imagine you needed too much help in that department. Why would you go out of the family? Who could give you better advice than your grandfathers?”

“I am not talking to you about sex. Besides, you probably wouldn’t be happy with my choices.”

“Gage, the only choice I would not be happy with is if you chose someone because you thought it would make us happy.  You could date a tree if it made you happy.”

“Grandpa, do some guys actually screw trees?”

“Well, my boy, I am sure there are but I have never had to resort to that.  Very soon your grandpa and I will be back and  you know you can come to us whenever.”

“Thanks, Grandpa.  I think I might go make another fajita before they put everything away.”

After they had finished eating, Brinn began to get uncomfortable and Shelby looked very tired. The kitchen was cleaned and Zach collected his daughter as Justin helped Brinn stand up. They said goodbye and Justin walked out with them.  As Brinn got in the car, tears came to her eyes and took Justin’s hand and laid it on her stomach where one of the boys was kicking.  Justin kissed her, “Are you alright, sweetheart?  Do you have pain?”

“Daddy, I always have pain right now but these are tears of love and happiness. I love you, Daddy.”

“I love you, all of you,” Justin said as he shut the door. He then turned around and went to say goodbye to the rest, knowing Shelby needed to get some rest.  Once they had said their goodbyes and collected George’s supplies they left Gus and his family.  

Taylor and Gage said goodbye to Trent and Gage picked up Tally and children went up the stairs leaving the adults alone.  Shelby walked over to Trenton and wrapped her arm around him.  “Trenton, I don’t know what to say to thank you.  You are welcome here anytime you want some chaos and I expect you to come for dinner frequently.  I know this isn’t goodbye.”

Softly, in a shaky voice, Trent responded, “It was my pleasure getting to know you and if you ever want someone to help with a grant, not that you need help….”

“Oh, Trenton, don’t say that unless you mean it.  Those can drive me up a wall with some of the big ones.”

“Please, do call,” Trent replied.  Shelby then looked over at her husband and after kissing Gus on the cheek she walked slowly down the hall.

Gus and Trenton stood for a moment, looking at each other and then Trent took a step needing Gus for support at that moment and Gus pulled him close.  “Pen, Shelby meant everything she just said.  If you need us for anything, just ask.  The kids are going to miss you so much.  You have to come back very soon and I will….I wish I could tell you when I will be over but….”

“You need to know that Shelby is good first and I need to focus on my book for a few days.”  Trenton kissed him, “I love you, Gus Kinney, and I love your family.”

“You love our family.  You are one of us now.”  Gus helped carry his bags out to his car and they kissed once more before Trenton got in and drove away.  Gus took a deep breath and turned toward the house.  He smiled as he headed toward his wife.


Brian and Justin drove past their nearly finished house.  “I wish we were already moved in,” Justin said as they drove past.  I’m tired of living in town.  It just feels claustrophobic.  I know it does for you, too, and I know I didn’t want to see the house but now I really want to see it all together.  How much longer?”

“A couple weeks, last I asked.” Brian reached for Justin’s hand and brought it to his lips.

“Bri, what was Gage upset about today?”

“He’s at that age where he doesn’t understand what to do with his emotions.  He has gotten really close to Trent.  He said he finally felt like he had a parent for him because there were 3 adults in the house and he said Trent was giving him advice about sex.  He wouldn’t get into any more detail on that.”                                                                                           

“Well, I’m sure Trenton handled it well.  I think even though it was a horrible time for them, it had some good points for them all, too.”  

“Yes, I see a peace on Gus’ face I’m not sure I have ever seen.”

“I agree. Brian, are you at peace after today?”

“I am, Sunshine.  My family knows how to love and that is all that is important.”


Shelby continued to improve and by the end of the week she was strong enough to take the steps and they could go back to their bedroom.  That made everything feel like it was back to normal.  She was given permission to go back to work and life seemed to be getting back to normal.  

Gus was so relieved that life was going the right direction.  He was interviewing candidates to take over the commercial side of his business.  He wanted to be able to leave that division in someone else’s hands but he needed the right fit.  After hiring a company to sort through the hundreds of applicants he then sorted through 20 himself and eventually got it down to three.  As his assistant called to set up interviews they found out one of them had already taken another position, leaving them with two interviews scheduled for the first week of March. 

Gus had managed to get to Trenton’s once for a quiet evening together but although they both enjoyed the time together, they both had business they had to focus on, Gus doing interviews and then training and Trenton working on his new book.  They agreed they might see each other a little less for the next couple months although their need would draw them together for a couple hours every couple weeks, just not long nights or a getaway weekend.  

Gus had the day setup to interview both of his candidates.  It was going to be March 15 which ended up being the day his dads decided to move into their new house.  They assured him they wouldn’t need him.  The furniture was all moving in new so the stores would be or already had delivered. All they had to do was bring their clothes with them. So Gus went on with the interviews.  He had gotten Shelby’s impression of the resumes and she thought both would fit.  “Shel, does it matter that one is a female and one is a male?”

“Gus, my darling, how could that matter? You could be attracted to either of them but I am not worried about that.  I think you are very satisfied between Trent and me.  I do trust you.”  Shelby had kissed him and went to her office.  

Brinn had let her dads know she was not leaving her house until these babies were on their way and then she hoped she would be able to have them at the house.  She knew that the twins were fraternal and the last couple weeks it had become obvious one of the babies was bigger than the other.  It was nothing to worry about yet, but they were doing ultrasounds regularly.  Tammy had purchased a small unit that could be left at their house so Brinn didn’t have to go in every week.  Either Danny or Tammy saw her weekly.                                 

The day of the interviews and the move arrived. Brian and Justin arrived early.  Justin had been busy in the art world the last couple weeks so he had not yet had his tour and Brian decided it was best to have most everything in the house before he saw it.  There had been a problem with the bathtub in the master.  Brian hadn’t cared for the first one he had chosen so he had them order another one and replace it.  When he had left on Friday afternoon, the second tub was being installed.                   

Gus had the first interview scheduled for 7:30 a.m.  He wanted to meet with both of them in the morning and then recall them in the afternoon if he had any further questions.  The phone on Gus’ desk buzzed and he was told Sam Giovanni had arrived.  Gus stood and walked around his desk and waited for the young man to walk in. As his assistant came through the door a very attractive young woman walked in behind him.  

“Gus, I would like you to meet Sam Giovanni.”

Gus smiled and greeted the architect with a hand shake, “Ms. Giovanni, it is a pleasure to meet you.”

“And from the look on your face, a surprise? I have learned to use Sam rather than Samantha.  I have lost many interviews because they were looking for a man who could hand both the construction end as well as the design of a build.”

“Well, I can tell you that would not be the case with me as I have a woman scheduled at 10:00, unless of course Susan is a male.”

“If my memory serves me right, there was a song about a boy named Sue.”

“Touche, Ms Giovanni.”

“Sam, please.”

“Please have a seat,” Gus directed her to the seating area in his office rather than by the desk.  “I hope you don’t mind.  I am not a very formal guy.”  Sam sat on the sofa and Gus sat in the chair across from her and began the formal interview.


Brian and Justin arrived at the house at 8:00 a.m. As they walked to the door, Brian turned to Justin, “Humor me.  Wait here just a minute.”  Brian walked to the house and unlocked the door and then left it open.  He then walked back and took Justin’s hand.  He led him to the door and then picked him up and carried him over the threshold.  “I know this is drivel and at my age I can’t carry you as far as I once could.” He set Justin down but kept his arms wrapped around him.  

“Brian Kinney, you are one of the most sentimental…” his words were stopped by Brian’s lips on his. 

When he finally took a step back, Brian said, “Welcome to our last home.”

Justin pulled him close once more and eventually they separated, “You know we are going to have to christen each room in our traditional way.”

“Oh, I like the sound of that but first, a tour?” Brian questioned.

“Oh, yes!” for the first time Justin looked around.  He was standing in a large great room.  The colors in the room were familiar but the way they had been put together were stunning.  There was a big open kitchen that was adjoined with an informal dining room and family room.  Other than the bedroom, this was the room they would spend their life in.  There was a large TV above the fireplace and a large sectional that had the ability to be split in so many ways in that area of the room.  There was a big bay window that looked out over the vines and a view of Brinn and Zach’s house in the distance. There was a small table there and a built in bench seat that could hold the grandchildren’s toys. 

Justin wandered over to the area.  The soft peach colors with pops of gray and muted blues made the room relaxing and inviting.  The eating area held a simple table with a perfect flow to the kitchen.  “Brian, this kitchen reminds me of Britin.”

“It has a similar floor plan but I think the flow is a little better and I definitely updated the appliances.” Justin walked around the island that had a small sitting area for the two of them or a couple grandkids.  The colors complimented the family room and dining area.  “I feel at home already. There were large sliding doors that could be opened to a veranda area in the back that led to a small pool area.  “I am sure trunks are optional back here.”

“Oh, I think they are actually frowned upon,” Brian said as he stood behind Justin, wrapping his arms around him.  “And it is a year round pool so maybe later tonight…..?”

“Oh, I am sure we will be ready for that by the time we get the whole kitchen stocked and if I am not mistaken, I hear a delivery truck now.”

As delivery boxes were being brought in Brian carried one back to the master bathroom. As he walked in he saw it.  The bathtub was in place but the pipes had not been connected.  Forgetting about Gus’ interviews today he pulled out his cell phone and called him.


Gus was impressed by his first impressions of Sam.  She was definitely intelligent. Besides having a business degree she was licensed as an architect, and  general, electrical, and plumbing contractor.  He was just asking how she would deal with a situation and his phone rang.  He glanced at it and when he saw Brian was calling he excused himself for a minute.

“Pops, is something wrong?”

“Oh, no, Gus.  Am I interrupting something….oh shit you are in the middle of an interview. I forgot.”

“I was afraid something was wrong with Dad or something.  Are you at the new house?”

“That’s why I called.  We are moving things in and I found the bathtub in place but not hooked up.  Your workers must have left as soon as I had on Friday.”

Gus swore under his breath and then looked over at Sam, “Give me about half an hour and we will be out there.” Before Brian could ask who ‘they’ was, Gus had hung up.  

Gus turned toward Sam and smiled, “I know you are dressed far nicer than you normally would to go to a work site, do you mind going to a work site with me and let me see a few of your skills? If you want I am sure I can find something for you to slip into.”

“I always have overalls in my truck, if I can just grab them I would love to help.”  

After Sam grabbed a bag from her truck, Gus explained they were heading to his parents house and that they were moving in with an unfinished bathroom situation. Gus contacted the site foreman to take care of the workers who left the job undone.  Sam heard him say, “No, you don’t have to fire them.  Find out why they left after saying they would finish it.  Use your opinion on what should be done. You are the supervisor, you make the decision.”

Sam smiled and looked at the gorgeous man sitting next to her,  “I appreciate the way you handled that.  I know of many owners who, especially if it was for a family member, would have insisted the workers be fired.”

“First, I don’t know the situation and I hire only excellent foremen and trust their decisions 100%.  If it was my site I had been involved in I would have taken care of it but I stayed out of this one.  My Pops would have driven me crazy.” Gus pulled onto the drive to the vineyard.

“Wow, this is beautiful.  You grew up here?”

“Well, not really.  I was out of high school when we moved here.  My little sister grew up here. That’s her house right over there,” he pointed across the vineyard to Zach and Brinn’s.  “She would be here but she’s expecting twins very soon and she is just a little thing,” Gus was smiling, “She can barely waddle anywhere.” Sam heard the warmth in his voice.  Gus pulled to stop in front of the house.  He pointed down the drive, “My place is just down the drive a little farther.  It has its own entry also but this is how the kids go between our place and this one.

“How old are your kids?” Sam asked.

“Taylor and Gage both have birthdays in July.  They will be 16 and 15 while our baby, Tallia, is going to be 5 in the fall.” Sam could see his pride as he talked about his family.  “We better get in there.  I see my pops at the door.” 

Gus walked toward the house with Sam at his side.  Brian opened the door and kissed Gus as he walked into the house.  He then offered his hand to Sam.  “Brian Kinney.”

“I’m Sam Giovanni.  Your son is going to hire me before the end of the day. I know I can do for him what he is looking for.”

Brian had to smile at the young woman’s spunk.  Justin walked in from the laundry room, “Sunshine, Gus is here to the rescue.  Sam, this is my husband, Justin Taylor Kinney. Justin this is Gus’ new hire, Sam Giovanni.”

Sam looked at Justin star struck, “I….you’re the artist!  I am a huge fan.  I hadn’t put you together.  I…..” Sam was tongue tied and then embarrassed.  

Gus smiled, “So Pops, Sam is a licensed plumber so I figured between the two of us we should have this tub hooked up in no time.” Gus walked back and Sam followed him.  

Once they were in the bathroom and started working, Sam finally spoke again. “I just made a big fool of myself.  I don’t know why I didn’t realize…”

“Dad goes by Taylor most of the time. Don’t worry about it.  He is the biggest sweetheart and if we get this tub working for them, he will be your best friend forever.”

Gus helped Sam but it only took her minutes to have the tub connected.  He observed as she checked her work, making sure everything was sealed tightly and there were no drips.  When she stood up Gus stuck his hand out.  She looked at it with a quizzical look.  

Gus smiled, “The job is yours if you want it. I am sure we can come to an agreement with the compensation.”

Sam grabbed his hand and then hugged him.  “Oh, I shouldn’t have done that but yes!”  As she stepped back he saw he was smiling.

“You will realize very soon that we are huggers and if you don’t like that you better let us know up front.  If you don’t mind cleaning this up, I will let the office know to send home the other candidate.  He just texted someone and he looked at Sam, “Let’s go tell my dads I have hired you officially and then maybe we can go see what I will be doing while you take over this department.”

“I don’t know if I can face Justin. He is going to think I’m an idiot.” 

“Come on.  They will make us some coffee, if the pot is unpacked and get ready to answer a lot of questions.”

Brian and Justin did have a pot of coffee already made and as Justin and Brian continued to empty boxes while they asked Sam some questions.  As they talked and Gus started talking about a start date.  “So Sam, when are you free to start?”

“Well, I actually have all my possessions in the back of my truck.  I just went through a divorce about two years ago and I worked for myself as a subcontractor and just worked here and there.  So, I guess I can start anytime but do you know of a place I could rent until I figure out where I want to live.”

“Sam, we just moved out of a furnished apartment downtown.  It needs cleaning but it is yours if you want it for as long as you want to stay there.”

“I’ll take her past there when we go back to town.  I am going to take her out to Trenton’s to see the kind of architecture we have out here and I am sure she will see why I am going into restoration.”

“Have you seen Trenton lately?”

“I’ve seen him a couple times since he moved back.  But I’ll stop by when I come home this evening and make sure everything else is good.  By the way, Pops, this place looks amazing.  We will have to tell Molly that if she is ever over booked you could help with some projects, especially a man’s place.”

“Thanks, son. We’ll see you this evening.” 

“Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor, I can’t thank you enough for the use of the apartment.”

Justin walked over and hugged her, “I’m afraid it is quite a mess but there are cleaning supplies there and we actually prefer someone lives there than have it empty.  With the bar below it is just nice to know someone is there.”  

Once they were on the road heading toward Trenton’s house Sam said, “I don’t mean to be unappreciative but how noisy is this apartment being above a bar.”

“It is totally soundproof.  I did it myself. You won’t hear anything and Molly, my partner in the design department and Dad’s sister, designed the space so it is a beautiful place.  You may want to stay there for a while, especially if you want to build a place of your own.”        

Gus then started telling Sam about the mission style home they were going to see. “I heard your dad say something about this man moving back.  Did he just get to the area?”

“No, Pen moved in with my family.  Let me explain, my wife, Shelby was injured in the earthquake last fall.  She just started walking again last month so he stayed with us to help out.  He is an amazing man.”

Sam wasn’t sure what she saw on Gus’ face.  Maybe it was just admiration for a caring friend.  She didn’t have to wonder long. Gus had texted ahead and when they pulled up the door opened and a very attractive middle aged man stepped out. “Do I know who he is? He looks familiar.”

“Trenton ….”

“TRENTON DANIELS! You are killing me today.  My favorite artist and my favorite author.” 

Gus laughed, “I forget they are famous.  Hell, I’ve seen them both naked at some point in my life. “ And with that Gus got out of the car as Trent gallantly walked to her side of the truck and opened the door for her.

“You must be Sam.  Welcome to my home.”

“Thank you for letting me see it.”

Trenton turned toward his lover, “Hey, Gus.” 

“Nice to see you, Trent.  Shelby wants you to come for dinner.  Does it work tonight?”

“Around 6:30?”

“I am sure that would be good.  I’ll let Shel know. Let’s go in.” 

The next hour Gus showed Sam around while Trenton worked in his office.  When they had finished viewing the whole house and backyard Sam softly said, “Do you think I could use his restroom?” 

“Sure, you know where it is.  I’ll go tell him we are leaving.” Gus walked to Trent’s office and when he realized Sam wasn’t right behind Gus he walked over and took him in his arms, kissing him deeply. 

“Do you think you could come over tonight?” Trent asked as his hand slipped down the back of Gus’ pants and then claimed his mouth again.

“I’ll let you know. I miss you.” Gus pressed his full body against Trent again and their lips again met.

Sam walked up to the door and quickly took a step back.  Shit!  That was not what you wanted to see the first day you get a new job, your married boss kissing his male lover and from what she just saw she was sure they were lovers.  She stepped away and the called, “Gus, are you still in here?”

“Oh, ya, I’m coming, Sam,” he turned toward Trent and said, “I’ll see you around 6:30.”

As they drove back to town Sam was quiet and so was Gus. When he pulled up behind the wine bar he took her in through the downstairs door.  “I am thinking you might like an office space and this one is free if you would like it.  It also has a shower so if you come home really dirty and don’t want to track through the apartment you could duck in here.”

“This will be great and you’re right, if it is a day i’m on site this will be handy.”

“Follow me upstairs.  Oh and obviously you will have an office at the headquarters.  This day did not go as expected but I am really glad you agreed to join Kinney Contracting.” He entered the apartment with her and let her look around.

“This place is great! I never expected it to be a lovely three bedroom.”  Sam  commented and then couldn’t stop herself, “Gus, I can’t let something come between our working relationship the first day.  I saw you and Mr. Daniels and I need to know if it is a secret.  I am your employee and if I need to back you, I will but I need to know.”

Gus smiled over at her, “Sam, I really appreciate that but it isn’t a secret.  I’m bisexual.  For the first few years I was faithful to Shelby but there was a part of me that just wasn’t fulfilled.  I know, laugh inserted here.  Shel knew it and I had another lover first.  In fact he and his wife lived here and managed the bar but when that relationship ended Trent happened by and Shelby is not only aware, she loves Trent as much as I do.” Sam stood there a bit stunned.  “I know, I am fortunate to have an amazing wife.  You have learned a lot today about me,” he laughed.  “I guess I’m an open book.  I promise, tomorrow we will talk about your job.”

“Gus, today has been more enjoyable than any job I have ever had,” Sam smiled at him.

“I have to tell you, Sam, just the fact you were honest and up front about Pen and I right away, I know I hired the right person.”

“Hello?” A voice came from the door to the bar.

“Geo, is that you? Come on in. I want you to meet someone.” Gus walked over as George came through the door.

“I was just going to check if your dads managed to get into their new place today.”

“What are you doing at the bar at this time of day?”

“I am catering a bachelorette party tonight so I am just getting stuff set up.”

“Oh, I’m being rude,” Gus realized Sam was standing behind him.  “Samantha Giovanni, this is George Thomas. George, I just hired Sam to be the director of my commercial department.”  George and Sam stepped toward each other and shook hands.  “George is one of the family, sort of.  He’s a great friend and runs a cooking school in town so he takes care of the food for the bar although he rarely is the one here. And George, Sam is moving in here so I am sure if you have left overs…”

“I would gladly take any leftovers,” Sam smiled at the handsome chef in front of her.  She had no idea about her job yet but she had never been in a place where she met so many beautiful people in one day.

“I will remember that. If you let me have your phone, I’ll add my number and if you ever need anything or have any questions, feel free to call.”

Five minutes later, George was back downstairs and Sam had a new phone number in her phone.  Gus gave Sam a ride back to the office where her truck was and gave her his key to the apartment. They agreed on a time to meet in the morning and Sam left to move into her new home. 

Brian and Justin worked all day getting things put into cupboards and closets.  It was after 7:00 when they finally sat by the kitchen island and ate a frozen pizza and drank a glass of wine. Gus had stopped by  on his way home to check on them and told them Trent was on his way over for dinner and then he was going back to his place for a couple hours. Justin’s head rested on Brian’s shoulder for a moment. “I know we talked about trying the pool out but may I suggest we try out the bathtub instead?”

“I definitely wouldn’t mind getting into it and into you.” Brian stood and grabbed the bottle of wine and his glass. Justin followed with his glass.  As they walked out of the great room Brian said, “Great room lights off,” and the room behind them went dark. 

Five minutes later they sat in the huge slipper tub.  Justin leaned against the sloped side and Brian leaned against him. Justin slid his hands along Brian’s chest and abdomen.  “I can’t believe the house you have given me.  No, not house, the home you’ve given me.  I love everything about it.”

Brian turned over slowly and groaned a bit from achy muscles but the tub was big enough that he could slide down just far enough that he could take Justin’s cock in his mouth and as he brought Justin higher and higher, Justin dropped his head back and let the waves of pleasure run through him as he offered himself to Brian.  “AWE….” Justin sighed loudly as Brian swallowed every drop.  

Later, as they laid, still joined from love making, they spoke softly, “Brian, it feels so good to be back in our house.” He pressed his ass against Brian’s groin wanting as much as he could get.  “I love you, Brian Kinney.  You know I can’t do life without you.”

Almost audibly, Brian brought his mouth to Justin’s ear and said,  “Sunshine, you own my heart. Now sleep.”  Together they fell into a restful sleep.


Brian and Justin had invited family and friends over for St. Patrick’s Day the weekend after they moved in but as the day progressed a major storm system moved in and they canceled it for everyone’s safety.   Brinn had been more uncomfortable all day.  She couldn’t get comfortable and Zach had finally contacted Danny and he and Elliott arrived mid afternoon.  Tammy said she would stay near the clinic in case the storm created any injuries.  

Danny and Elliott took their overnight bags into Stone house and then went to check on their patients.  After they examined her, they did an ultrasound.   They went out of the room to discuss if they agreed with what they saw.  They suggested Zach bring Justice someplace for the night. Zach called Brian and Justin and then went to drop her off. Elliott and Danny then took time to talk for a few moments.  Elliott had not been at any recent ultrasounds but Danny had told him about the twins growing at different speeds. 

“Danny, if I didn’t know better, I’d say those twins were conceived at different times but I know the likelihood of that is almost impossible because you only did the procedure once so how could they be at different gestations.”

Danny agreed, “I am sure she is going to deliver in the next few days.  Do you agree both of them are big enough to survive if she has them here or do you think we should take her to the hospital for the delivery?”

“From the sound of the rain outside, I think we are safer to just stay here.  Zach returned soon and they all went into the bedroom to talk with the couple.  Brinn and Zach agreed with Danny and Elliott and the doctors decided to just stay in the house so if labor started they wouldn’t get drenched coming over from next door.  Brian and Justin knew they wouldn’t be sleeping tonight unless the babies came quickly.  Brinn texted Gus and let him know that the doctors were with her and they thought it would be within the next couple of days. Gus texted back, telling her to let him know when she was in labor and she agreed. As the storm increased outside, Brinn tried to rest while she could.

Brian and Justin spent the remainder of their Saturday enjoying time with Justice.  She was so much like her mother the older she got.  She was an easy child to have around.  She sat at the small table in the family room and read and colored. She would be starting school in the fall but had already learned to read.  She was actually a little young for kindergarten but the private school they had her registered to go to tested her and said they would accept her so she and Tallia would be in the same class. 

Justin was still finding all the little details Brian had added, including a shower that had more electronics in it than he had ever seen in his life but it could do almost anything a person could want.  And Justin noticed something new in Brian.  He seemed to have found a new peace.  Maybe it was because this place was their place.  It had never been owned by anyone else.  This would always be the Taylor Kinney Vineyard and this would always be the home of Brian and Justin where everyone was welcome. 

As the rain continued thunder began to be more than soft rumbled Juss came running over to Justin, who was working on dinner for the three of them. She stopped and looked up at her grandfather, “Papa, why is the thunder so loud.  I don’t like it.”

Justin bent down and picked her up. “You don’t have to worry, Juss.  We are safe in this new house.”

“Are Mommy and my new brothers safe, too?”

“Of course they are, Jussy.” He hugged her close. You are safe when you’re here.”

“Papa, can I help you make dinner?”

“Of course you can, darling.”  Justin helped her wash her hands and asked her to tear the lettuce up into smaller pieces.

“Papa, Mommy is alright, isn’t she?”

“Of course she is.  Your Uncle Danny and Elliott are there with her.  You know they won’t let anything happen to her or your brothers.”

“Ok, that’s good.  Mommy and Daddy say they are special to you.”

“Well of course they are.  All our grandchildren are special, just like you.” He kissed her cheek as he put some chicken on the stove grill.

“I know, Papa, but they are your babies.” As Justice said it she covered her mouth.  “I wasn’t supposed to tell you. It’s a secret.”

Justin was a bit confused but as the storm wound up even stronger and he took Justice into his arms.  “Let’s go find your other grandpa.  Maybe he is scared, too.”  After Justin dropped her off in Brian’s ‘man cave’ he went back to dinner but he couldn’t forget what Juss had said.  He wasn’t one who made up stories so she had heard someone say something but what could she mean?  She probably had no idea herself but something was nagging in the back of his brain now.

Brian and Justin were just putting Juss down for the night when they received a text.  “Babies are coming. Will be in touch.”

Justice snuggled up to Justin as Brian’s arm went around both of them. Justin knew he wouldn’t sleep.  His baby was having babies and he couldn’t rest while that was going on. Very softly he spoke to Brian, “I have to go over there.”

Brian kissed his neck, “I figured you would say that soon.  Sunshine, at least wait until there is a break in the storm.”

“I will.  Remember, Juss likes to have physical contact and…”

“Justin, I remember how to take care of a little girl.  Stay in touch.”  

Justin rolled over carefully and stopped when he was straddling Brian.  He kissed him.  “I’ll be in touch.”  He grabbed some clothes and left the room.


Elliott worked in the background making sure they were ready for two babies and that their bassinets were ready for them after they had been cleaned up.  He put clean towels in each in case he had to work quickly on either of them and had to leave the other sit for a minute.  Zach sat next to Brinn and tried to help talk her through a contraction before she had a break again. They all knew it would be a long night.  

“Did I hear the door open?”  Brinn asked after the pain subsided.

“Hi sweetheart.  If you don’t want me here I will stay out of the room but…” Justin stepped near Brinn.

“Oh Daddy, I am so glad you are here.  Juss isn’t here is she?”

“No, she is with your Dad at our place.  He has your baby in his arms and I just needed to be here for my baby.”

“Oh,Daddy, I’m so glad to see you. You are always welcome.  You know that.” Justin gave her a hug.

“I had to come.  I needed to be here even though you don’t need your Daddy here.”

“Oh, Daddy, I will always need you.” Elliott carried a chair over so Justin could sit beside Brinn next to her. 

For the next several hours Danny and Elliott took turns getting a little rest, making sure one was always awake and Justin and Zach did the same thing.  It was about 8:00 a.m. when the contractions started coming quickly and strong.

“Oh, here comes another one!” Brinn cried out as Zach sat behind her helping her the best he could. Danny and Elliott felt as ready as they could be and just in time. 

“Ok, Brinn, with the next one you can push.”  Danny patted her upper leg and smiled at her. As she felt the next one begin, she pushed.  The smaller of the two boys was delivered first.  Elliott immediately took him from Brinn and Justin walked over to see his new grandson.  El checked his breathing and his heart.  His weight was over five pounds and seemed to be healthy in every way. After drawing blood from the baby,  Elliott passed the little boy over to Justin. Brinn was already struggling to get the second one out. Justin hated hearing his daughter in such distress and stayed close as he snuggled the little one in his arms.

This baby was definitely bigger and made Brinn work much harder but about ten minutes later the second much bigger baby was born.   Elliott followed the same procedure with the second baby, finishing with drawing the blood.  Once Danny had finished with Brinn, Justin brought over the first baby and then took the second from his bed and brought him over, too.  Elliott made eye contact with Danny and then stepped out of the room.  He walked out the door and found Tammy waiting.

Thankfully the weather this morning was much better as the sun peaked between the clouds.  “Are the babies here?”  Tammy asked excitedly.

“They are and all are doing well but Tammy, you  know what Danny and I were thinking?”

“Yes, and you think….”

“I do.  Here are blood samples.  Can you run them at the lab where you and Brinn used to work?”

“Yes, I got permission.”

“How long do you think it will be?”

“Within the hour.”

“Ok, I will keep everyone out until then.  I will have to get Justin out of the room now.”

“I will call you as soon as I have the results and tell Brinn I will see her soon.”

Elliott came back into the house and found Danny all done with Brinn.  Justin had passed the second baby to his father so the little family, minus Justice were getting to know each other.  Elliott guided Justin out and Danny followed them.   “I always think it is nice for the family to have time.  I know you’re family but…”

“I understand.  I’ll give Brian a call and have him bring Juss over in maybe an hour?”

“I think that will be good.  Tammy is reviewing the blood right now just to make sure there is nothing hidden in there and she said it wouldn’t take long.”  Elliott explained.

“There is nothing I should worry about, is there?”  Justin questioned with worry in his tone.

Danny put an arm around him, “Not at all.  Tammy is just running the normal baby tests and since the baby was conceived with a donor, we just want everything checked.”

“That makes sense.  I think I will take a little nap on the sofa after calling Brian.” With that Justin walked to the sofa and called Brian. He heard a giggle over the line. “Grandpa’s phone, who is calling.” and then another giggle.

“Hello Justice is Grandpa there or did he leave you in charge?” He heard another giggle. 

“Grandpa, Papa wants you.”

Brian took the phone from Justice, “Hey, Sunshine, what’s the news?”

“Oh, Brian, they are beautiful.  Everyone is doing well.  Why don’t you bring Justin over in about an hour.  Right now Brinn and Zach are getting to know their sons and the test results will be here in an hour, in case there are any irregularities.”

“I think you should tell someone else the news.”

“Papa, do I have brothers, Papa? Can I talk to Mommy and Daddy?”

“Jussy you are a big sister.  You have two beautiful brothers.”

“Is Grandpa bringing me home now?”

“In about an hour.  Your mom is very tired so she needs a little nap but then you can see her.  Maybe you can make a card for her.”

“I can do that. Love you, Papa.”

“I love you, Justice.”

Justin contacted Gus not knowing Brinn had already talked to him.  He was coming over in an hour, too.


Danny and Elliott were standing out on the deck for a little fresh air.  “El, do you really think it could be?”  Danny asked as he stepped into Elliott’s arm.

“I do.  And I think that is what Tammy will tell us in a few minutes.” Elliott’s mouth came down on Danny’s.  “You are an excellent PA, if I haven’t said that in a while.” He continued the kiss, but as he deepened it, the phone rang.  “Hey, Tammy, so what did you find out?”

“First, the babies are both very healthy when it comes to their blood tests and as for your suspicions, you were right.  I will be there in about half an hour.”

“Thanks, Tammy.  We will see you then.”  Elliott hung up and looked at Danny.  “I think we need to go tell Brinn and Zach the news, they have two healthy little boys.”

“El, do you have any idea the reaction Brinn and Zach are going to have?”

“I can only imagine.  Let’s go talk to them before Brian and Gus arrive.” The men kissed once more and then went back in the house.  

As they walked into the bedroom, Brinn was already breastfeeding the smallest of the two babies but both parents looked up.  “I hear Tammy is testing the blood.”  Brinn said as she looked down at her now sleeping son.

“She just called us.  You will be happy to know that both of your boys are very healthy.”

Brinn sighed, “That is so good to know.  I was so worried that, because Braden was so much smaller, there was something wrong.  I thought of Gabe and that he was Gus’ son and….”

 

Danny looked from Zach to Brinn, “We do have one more thing to tell you.”