- Text Size +

Chapter 2 


Gus arrived at his dads’ house at 7:30 a.m.  He walked in to find his fathers kissing in the kitchen.  “It is no wonder I have the sex drive I have.  You two are worse than rabbits.” Gus walked over and kissed them both.  He looked at the TV in pieces on the floor along with a bunch of plaster. “You weren’t kidding.  I have told you we should get this house up to code or better yet, tear it down and start over. I could build one on the other side of the road.  It wouldn’t take out too many grapevines.  We could reroute the main drive so everyone doesn’t have to pass right in front of your place.”

“Gus, we can talk about that later but is the house safe for now?  Structurally it didn’t do any damage, did it?” Brian asked.

“It looks like it is just cosmetic.  My foreman says the phone is blowing up at work and he is sending out crews but he has one of my top guys on his way here already.  You will have to get your own TV but he will put up the brackets and stuff for you.”  Gus said as he looked at his phone messages.

“And do I have to ask where you’re headed?” Justin asked, putting an arm around Gus.

“I am going to stop at Brinn and Zach’s to do a quick look around and yes, then I am heading to Trenton’s.  After all the work I put into that house I hope it withstood the pressure last night. Call if you need me or if you have questions about the repair.  The carpenter will be here in the next hour.”

“Thanks, son.” Brian said. “I think I will have a TV sent out.  I was thinking about getting a little larger one anyway.”

“If I built you a new house, you could have a theater room again.  I could put a bed in it just for you.” Gus stepped toward the door.

“We’ll talk about it, Gus.” Justin said as Gus left.  

Gus drove over to Brinn and Zach, holding a very excited Juss answered the door. “Uncle Gus, the ground shook and I slept with Mommy and Daddy.  Did Tally sleep with you after the earthquake?”

“Good morning, Juss.”  Gus took his niece from her dad and gave her a hug and kiss.  “Tally told me to give you those.”  Juss giggled.  “Where is your mama?”

“She is next door with Uncle Danny.”

Gus looked at Zach, “Danny and Elliott are having some problems so Danny slept at Stone House so she is checking on his um, headache.”

“Oh, well, I am just going to take a quick look around.  If you have time this week, check on your generator and make sure it is working.  We have been having enough quakes lately, we could be getting a big one in the near future so I want to make sure you can run your nebulizer if we lose power for a few days.”

“Good idea, thanks Gus.  I’ll do that.” Zach said as Gus roamed around the house.

“I don’t see even one crack.  Whoever built this place….” Gus laughed.  “Well, Miss Justice,” he kissed her cheek and passed her back to Zach.  “I have a busy day ahead.”

“Bye bye, Uncle Gussy,” Juss waved.

“Call me if the generator doesn’t work and I will send one of my crew over to look at it.”  Gus sprinted next door to find Brinn.  He knocked and walked into Stone House.  She found Brinn and Danny sitting on the leather sofa.  “Oh, hey, didn’t mean to interrupt.   I am just checking on the buildings. I didn’t expect this to have any issues.”

“I haven’t seen any,” Brinn said. “I was just leaving, actually.  Nora is in labor.  I will get to meet my new nephew soon.” Brinn looked over at  Danny.  “You can stay here but I really do think you should go talk to Elliott.”

“I’ll think about it,” Danny hugged Brinn tightly.  “Thanks, Brinn.” 

Gus and Brinn walked out together.  “Let me know how everything turns out with Nora and the baby.  I am heading to Trent’s to check on his house.”

Brinn hugged her brother, “I am so glad you two have each other.” 

“Go and be there for your brother and that new baby.”

“Gus, I have a question to throw out to you and it may seem too weird but think about it.  Talk about it with Shelby.”

“Brinn, this sounds serious.”

“I know this may sound wrong but Zach and I are talking about having another baby and if he can’t father a baby, I was thinking that you and I aren’t blood related and if I used your sperm, that would be the closest our dads could ever be to having a baby. I know it’s crazy but…. I’ll call you when the baby arrives.”

Gus got in his truck and sat there stunned for a moment. Had his sister asked him to do what he thought she had asked.  That really would be something to think about.


Brinn arrived at the birthing center to find an exhausted Matteo and Nora.  Nora’s contractions had nearly stopped but she was too far dilated to send her home. Neither of them woke when she walked in. She walked over and kissed Matty’s cheek.  “Sh, it’s just me little brother,” she whispered.  “How is it going?”

“She’s worn out and the midwife said it hasn’t really started yet.”

“Why don’t you go take a little break.  I’ll stay here with her.  If you want to run home and change or go get some breakfast. Giving yourself a break will help both of you. I’ll text if there is a change.” 

Matty stood and stretched before hugging Brinn and walking out. Nora stirred now, feeling Matteo’s absence, Nora woke up.  Brinn sat on the edge of the bed and took Nora’s hand, Matty will be back soon.  I told him to go stretch and get a bite. Looks like you’ve already had a workout.”

“Oh, Brinn, I don’t think I can do this.  I’m already so tired and the midwife said it will be a long time yet.”  Brinn laid down next to Nora and stroked her stomach, feeling a small contraction.

“Oh, honey, you are going to kick ass.  Soon that baby boy will be in your arms and trust me, this will be a foggy memory and you are going to be such a great mother.”

Nora put her head on Brinn’s shoulder, “I’m glad you came, Brinn.  Vicky said she was coming but she has never had a baby.  She is just a little jealous that I am having a baby and she isn't yet.  I love my sister but sometimes, she just isn’t that helpful.”

“Well, I am here for you and I will follow your lead.  If you want me near, let me know, if you want to be left alone, let me know.  You can’t hurt my feelings while you are in labor, I promise.”

“Thank you, Brinn.  Can I put you in charge of John and Tony when  it is getting close? I think they will be fine but if they need support, I know you can deal with those two.”

“Sure, Nora.  I will do that.” 

“Oh, god, Brinn.  This is a bigger one.”

“Ok, Nora.  breath through it.  Take a deep breath.  Do you want me to call Matty?”

“No, Brinn, if you’ll stay with me,” Nora clung to Brinn

“I’m not going anywhere.”

When Matty arrived back in the room 15 minutes later Brinn was coaching Nora through a contraction.  “Why didn’t you call me?”

“Matteo,” Nora reached out to him, “I knew you would be back and you needed a break.” 

“My dads are down in the waiting room. Brinn, could you tell them….”

“I will daddy.  Before the end of the day my little brother will be a daddy.”

“Oh, Brinn, if Vicky comes, I guess you should send her in.”

“I understand, Nora.”  Brinn smiled and left the room.


Gus arrived at Trenton’s.  He let himself in and started looking around to look for damage.  He was pleasantly surprised.  He saw some minor cracks but the earthquake safety standards he had used did their job.  He saw Trenton sitting on the back porch.  He seemed to do a lot of his work out there.  Gus slipped out quietly and walked up behind him. He wrapped his arms around Trent from behind and brought his mouth to his ear, “Hey, gorgeous, do you have time for a quickie?”

Trenton turned his head so he could kiss Gus. “I am not interested in a quickie but if you have a couple hours, I think I can find a few things to do.” 

Gus removed the computer from Trenton’s lap and set it aside. Trenton pulled Gus onto his lap and had him lay back onto his arm and kissed him while his hand rested on  Gus’ crotch. He could feel Gus react and then slowly lowered the fly and slipped his hand in.  As Trent stopped kissing him for a moment Gus smiled up at him, “Gus,  you are so….” Trent’s hand found its way into his briefs and Gus pulled his head back down.  As they kissed they took it slow. Eventually, Trenton brought Gus to a sitting position and both men stood.  “Bed.  I want you in bed.”

Once in the bedroom both men shed their clothing. Trenton made no sudden moves.  He spent time with every inch of Gus’ body and by the time he actually moved into him, Gus was one big nerve. With the feel of Trenton inside him, he was almost delirious. By the time they had both climaxed they were soaked in sweat and blissfully happy.  They both lay on their backs staring at the ceiling.  

After several moments Gus commented,  “That’s a new crack in the ceiling.”

“How often have you laid on this bed bored enough to look at the cracks on the ceiling?” Trent asked with humor in his voice.

Gus rolled over so his naked body was pressed against Trent, “Don’t worry, there is nothing wrong with your virility.  Just like you might notice a book cover, I notice structures and how they are put together.”

“I’ve noticed how you are put together and I am still looking for a flaw.”  Trenton rolled Gus to his back and they again entangled in each other’s arms and made love again. 


“Ok Nora, we are going to see how close this baby is to making an appearance.” Matteo and Nora had been at the birthing center for more than 12 hours now.  Tony and John had been in and out but now were staying in the waiting room.  Vicky was now on one side of the bed while Matty was on the other.  Brinn was the go between.   The midwife examined Nora and smiled up at her.  “It won’t be long now.  You are making progress.  Now is the time to clear out anyone you don’t want here for the birth.  Nora, this is your decision.  It doesn’t matter what your husband says or what either of your sisters’ say.  This is totally your choice and no one should get bent out of shape if you ask them to leave now.  Well, if you ask Matteo to leave….”

Nora looked over at Vicky and Brinn, who had just walked in. “I love you both very much and you have been so great all day but….”

“Come on, Vicky.  It’s time to let them bring this baby into the world, just the two of them.” Brinn put an arm around Vicky’s waist and guided her toward the door.  

She started to protest but then just said, “I love you, Nora,” and walked out.  The moment they were out of the room, Vicky pulled away.  “I don’t need your help to walk.  George and I don’t need any help from any of the Kinney’s.” Vicky spit out the words before she could stop herself.

Brinn had known Vicky’s feelings almost since day one but she had always tried to hide them.  “You might as well get it out. You have wanted to for months.”

“The all powerful Kinney clan.  Matteo is great but your family treats George like a hired hand.  George do this.  George make that.  We want it now.  And Justice.  George is her father.  He should have partial custody.  He is such an amazing father to her and you don’t even…”

Brinn tried guiding her out of the hall, “We shouldn’t be doing this in the hallway.  Nora can probably hear us.” She really meant she could hear you but she was trying to be polite.  

“And of course because you say it I should go with you.”

Brinn now took Vicky’s arm and gave her no option and moved her to the waiting room where George was sitting.  “I believe this belongs to you.” Brinn said almost in disgust before she walked over and sat next to John and Tony, letting them know what was going on while George guided Vicky out of the room.


Matteo had positioned himself behind Nora, who leaned against him. He supported her as she pushed and cried out through each contraction. He spoke softly in her ear and kissed her neck and then he cried with her as their baby boy came out squalling and was laid on her chest. Matty moved from behind his wife and stood next to the bed holding both his wife and son.  After they had been given several moments to hold their little boy.  They took him for just a moment to get some measurements.  

“Matteo, why don’t you go tell our families that Leo is here.” Nora said as he kissed her husband.  “I love you.”

“Oh Nora, you did amazing.  You are so much tougher than I am and I love you more than I can ever tell you.”  Matty kissed her almost reverently. “I won’t be gone long.”  Matty rushed out the door.  The minute he saw his dads he ran into their open arms.  “He’s here!  Leo is here.  At first look the midwife said he looked perfect and they are weighing and measuring him right.”  Matty turned to look at Vicky, “Nora is great.  She is so amazing!  I just can’t believe what she just did.” His smile was genuine and Vicky responded in kind.  Brinn was glad to see no animosity between them anyway.  She expected she would be having her day with Vicky but not today. 

After Matty had gotten a hug from everyone he rushed back to spend time with his wife.  It was dark out now so most of the visitors said they would be back in the morning.  Vicky was the only one that they let back to see Nora for just a moment and then she and George also left for the night.  Matty lay next to his wife and son as the three became a family.


It was very late when Brinn arrived home but she saw lights on at Stone House.  She really just wanted to crawl in bed with Zach but she knew she needed to check on Danny.  She let herself into the house and found Danny curled up on the sofa. She sat down and placed a hand on his shoulder. Danny jumped. He looked over at her and said, “What did you say?  What did you tell El?’ He’s mad. He won’t even talk to me.  He said something about counseling and how I must think he is crazy.” It was obvious he was drunk.  “WHAT DID YOU SAY TO HIM?”

“Danny, I just let him know you were alright last night, well this morning. I told him he would be a fool to let you go and if there was a real reason he didn’t want children he needed to talk to you about it.”  Brinn tried to get Danny to lean on her and finally he started crying and buried his head in her lap.

“Brinn, what am I going to do?  I love him so much but….”

“Maybe you just have to give it a couple days and then see him.  Have you talked to your dads?”

“No, I will just be a failure. Where would I go if they don’t want me?”  Brinn heard the voice of the Danny she had first met.  The young boy who had been deserted by his family and didn’t know how to trust Marcus and Dan.  Danny had learned to love so fast and she guessed that’s what happened with Elliott, too.  And when he loved, he loved with his whole heart.

“Your dads would never call you a failure.  And trust me Elliott wants to straighten this out.  He just isn’t sure how this all happened himself. He loves you so much.  Let him think about it. You talk to your dads.  They’ll be sad if you don’t.  Hannah would love to have her big brother home for a few days.”  Brinn stroked Danny’s hair.  “Now, I need to go home to my husband and daughter.  Go to bed, Danny, and in the morning, go to see your dads and sister.”

“I will, Brinn.  What would I do without you as my best friend?”

“Oh Danny, this will all work out.  Now you go up to bed and I am going to go tell my husband about our new nephew.” Brinn kissed Danny and made sure he made it up the stairs before turning off the lights and going home.

Brinn walked home and went straight to the nursery.  She hadn’t seen her little girl all day.  She couldn’t resist touching Justice’s curls.  “Mommy, you’re home.” she gave her mom a sleepy smile.

“I’m sorry I woke you, Juss.”

“Do I have a new cousin?” She stood and reached up for Brinn to hold her.  Brinn held her daughter tightly.

“You do. I missed you so much today.”

“Well is it a boy like they thought?”

“It is and his name is Leo.”

“I love Leo already. When can I meet him?”

“Oh, I would say in maybe two days.  I think he will go home tomorrow and then I think we should give Auntie Nora and Uncle Matty a day to get to know him a bit.”

“Ok,” Juss was already snuggling against her Mommy almost asleep again.

“I love you, Juss.”

“I love you, too, Mommy.”  Brinn kissed her and laid her down.  

When she turned she found Zach backlit in the doorway.  His messy hair and his glasses not on quite straight made him even sexier than normal.  She walked to him and he pulled her into his arms. Their lips met and Zach lifted her off the floor and turned so they were in the hall.  He reached back and pulled the door shut.

“You have to be tired.  You had a long day sitting around.”

“I did but we have a new nephew and he is doing well.  Maybe it is too late to talk about this but I spoke to Gus this morning and told him we were thinking about having another baby and well, I talked to him about it because I thought maybe Gus could be our donor if we need one.”

Zach looked at her strangely.  “Um, Brinn, he’s your brother.”

“But we don’t share any blood.  And I was thinking if we need a donor….well that baby would be the only one that had Dad and Daddy’s DNA in it.  I know it is way out there and if you don’t want it, I’ll understand.” She kissed him and then raised her arms for him to pull off her shirt. “I really will understand and Gus or Shelby may think it is too weird, and I’d be good with that.  I just want you to think about it.” By now she stood before him naked.  He sat on the edge of the bed and pulled her close.  Her breasts were at the perfect level for him to run his tongue around and around the nipples, first one and then the other until she couldn’t stand it anymore.  He then pulled her on his lap and sitting astride him she lowered herself onto his erection.

“I figure there is no reason for us not to practice even if we don’t have a lot of chance of conceiving.”

“Oh, I definitely think we can practice over and over and over.”


The next two weeks seem to be busy for everyone.  Nora and Matteo were settling with Leo while family came and went to meet him.  John and Vicky both spent time there helping out when they could.  One night when Brinn stopped by on her way home from work, she walked up to the house and Vicky literally ran into her as she came out the door.

“Of course, it’s a Kinney. I swear there is someone from the family hovering  at all times.”  Vicky tried to push past Brinn to her car but after a long day in court Brinn wasn’t going to let it go this time. No one talked bad about her family.

“So yes, it is a Kinney. Well, actually I’m a Chase but I was a Kinney.  So what’s really your problem with us?”

“If you don’t know by now…..”

“Don’t know by now? Yes, you’ve been around off and on for a couple years but it has just been the last three months that you have moved here.  And what George sees in you…. I just thought he had better taste.”

“Why, because he screwed you? From what I hear it was a weekend, not a relationship.”

“It was a friendship.  That is what it was and that is what it is, What’s your problem with George having friends?”

“It’s friends with benefits and friends who think they can use people and treat them like trash…”

“I know you don’t like me and that is fine but my family is nothing but generous and inclusive so if you don’t feel included it is on you not my dads.  My dads treat every employee with respect.” By now Brinn was in full lawyer mode.  “So have either of my fathers done something to you that has affected you negatively or caused you pain or harm of any kind?”

“It isn’t me, it’s Geo.  He is a business owner actually he owns two businesses, the school and the catering service.  He works hard but he is making a name for himself.  But when the Kinney’s snap their fingers he becomes their lap dog. They need to just let him run his business and stay out of his life.”

“Vicky, I think you better ask George a few questions and get the story  straight.  It is not my place.  You ask George and If I hear you bad talk anyone but me, you will regret it!”  And with that Brinn walked into the house. Vicky glared at the door, and then turned on her heel and walked to her car.                                                                                                                                                                  

Matty met Brinn as she walked in the door, “What is it with you and Vicky? Is it Juss?”

“That is part of it, main part I think, but she has a lot of mixed up beliefs about George and our family.  I told her she needed to clear it up with George and if she had a problem with me fine but if she ever goes after our family again….”

“Woah, Brinn, you can get out of lawyer mode now,” Matteo laughed at his sister. “By the way, the most beautiful baby in the world is awake right now.”

Brinn kissed his cheek, “Thanks.  She just gets under my skin. I don’t know what George sees in her.”  she moved to the living room where she could hear voices.


Brian didn’t know if he wanted to go home.  Justin was going to be so upset but he spent all day trying to fix the problem but instead of flying to Miami in the morning, he had to go to New York City.  He bought flowers and  swordfish steaks for the grill.  Last thing he bought was fresh berries and a cream cheese mousse.  He honestly wasn’t sure any of it would get eaten. He hoped Justin would understand, even if he was disappointed.  He was disappointed himself.

Brian walked into the house carrying the flowers and a bag with the remainder of the food.  Justin came around the corner with a big grin until he saw Brian and then he froze.  “No!  No you aren’t going to do this to me.  We have plans.  We have a suite on the beach.  We….”

“Sunshine, I have been working on it all day.  I tried everything I could to get it taken care of but one of my biggest and oldest clients is upset and he is big enough that losing  him would sting.” Brian walked over to Justin and handed him the bouquet.  “I was so looking forward to this trip.  I wish I could say that I could get it done in a day and meet you down there but this guy has dug in or I could have taken care of it today on video conference.” He kissed him, pulling him close. “Please, Sunshine, yell, scream, hit me but don’t hold it against me.  I really can’t take you being mad at me when I really did all I could.”

“What did you bring for dinner?”

“Swordfish and dessert.  I knew we had salad and bread here.”

“Start the grill.  I’ll get the salad ready.”

Brian went outside a bit worried about Justin’s reaction, or lack of it. He started the grill and opened a bottle of chilled white from their wine fridge.  He had never seen Justin with such a flat affect. When the grill was hot he went back in to get the steaks.  Justin was chopping vegetables for the salad and from the sound of the knife he was getting out some of his frustration that way.  Brian started to wrap his arms around him from behind but Justin raised the knife in a motion that Brian knew now wasn’t the time.  He took the steaks out to the grill along with the seasonings he needed, and started them.  He went back in to get the plates and silverware.  

“I’ll set the table outside. Sunshine, please don’t…” Justin just pointed at the door.  “It will be ready in about eight minutes.”

By now Brian was getting more than a little apprehensive.  When Justin shut down, it made him the most nervous. But just as he was taking the fish off the grill, Justin walked out with a tray holding the salads and a loaf of French bread. They both set the food down but before they could sit Brian took Justin in his arms, “I am so sorry, Sunshine.  There is no place I would rather be than  in Miami with you. I did everything I could. Ask Cynthia. I tried, Justin. I really did.”

“I believe you, Brian,” Justin looked into his eyes.  “I’m  just disappointed no matter who's at fault.. Let’s eat and then we can talk more.”  Justin kissed Brian before sitting down.  They talked about typical topics before leaving on a trip.  They were packed.  Brian was going to stay at their little garden while he was in NYC.  Dan still owned it and his cottage was being used by one of his agents right now but Brian and Justin’s place was open.  Justin reviewed his itinerary.  He let Brian know he wasn’t sure how long he would stay in Miami now.  Maybe he would fly up and be with Brian if he was stuck there longer and if by some chance Brian did get his issues settled, he would fly to Miami. 

Their plates were empty and so was the bottle of wine.  They cleared the table, brought everything in and together cleaned up the dishes.  Justin turned into Brian who pulled him close.  Justin laid his head down on Brian’s chest.   “I was so looking forward to having time away with you. I just feel like we haven’t done anything like this for so long and,” Justin looked up at Brian and ran one hand along his jawline and brought his mouth to Brian’s. After the kiss ended, Justin said,  “I just love you so much. I love our family but this was just for us. Let’s go to bed.  We can have dessert later.”

They took their time as they made love.  They knew each other so well and they pleased each other thoroughly before they laid side by side in each other’s arms.  “I guess I will attend the parties my agent wanted me to go to since you know you will be busy for the weekend.  On Monday we’ll decide if we are going to meet up or if we are just going to come back here.”

“Sunshine, it’s not like we can’t plan something again soon.  This is probably the last time I get called into something like this.  Peter is meeting with us and I will be telling the client he is now in charge. I am truly sorry.  You have to know how much….”

“I do, sweetheart.  It’s just disappointing.” Justin turned his back to him and Brian wrapped an arm around Justin’s wait.  “We better get some sleep.  We leave early in the morning. I love you, Bri.”

“Love you, too, Sunshine.”

It was early when a car picked them up.  Justin was scheduled on a commercial flight while John was flying Brian to New York.  Brian waited with Justin until he was called to the gate.  With fingers linked, the goodbye kiss was long and deep.  As they stepped apart they didn’t say anything but their fingers stayed entwined until they had to drop them.  Justin rushed back into his arms for one more quick kiss and then he ran to the gate. 

Brian jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder, “Uncle Brian? Are you ready?” John felt him jump, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to surprise you.”

“It’s alright.  I just hate to make him go by himself. We had talked about this trip and I promised I’d go.”

“Justin understands.”

“I just don’t want him to have to anymore.  .I am done as of Labor Day.  Your brother is ready. Tony is ready on this end and if you are tired of all the travel, we have something for you, too. I’ve been thinking you’d be good….”

“Uncle Brian, I love my job. I want to keep flying. And speaking of flying, we need to  get to the plane.”                          


Justin tried to do some work on the flight but his mind kept going to Brian.  When he was allowed to he sent a message to the hotel.  It said, ‘Cancel renewal of vows ceremony.  Had a change of plans.’.  It was going to just be the two of them and an officiant but the recommitment would have to wait.  It was just a stupid idea anyway.  The plane landed and Justin was met by a driver. As they left the airport and followed the coastline to the hotel Justin opened the window and let the warm humid air rush over him.  He started thinking about Brian’s touch on his cheek but then he shook his head. He texted Brian telling him he landed safely and he would be out of contact until late tonight. Justin looked at the waves rolling in. It was a change of plans and he hoped to find out this weekend if he could still enjoy life without Brian.  Was there a life without him?                                                                                                                                

When Brian landed he let Justin know he had arrived and noticed he had gotten a message from Justin.  He had a feeling he wouldn’t be talking to him at all tonight.  Sometimes Justin just needed a little space and he was afraid tonight would be one of those nights.   Ted picked him up at the airport and the rest of Brian’s day was a blur.

Justin checked into the hotel and freshened up before walking to the gallery a short distance away.  He watched the waves roll in and the sun was getting lower in the sky.  Tonight at the gallery was just for the artists.  As he walked into the building he took a deep breath and then let it all out.  It was as if he could smell the oil paints in the air. He saw his paintings on the wall.  It had been a long time since he had done a show.  He forgot the rush he felt when he saw his work on display.  Soon he was roaming through the gallery with wine, that happened to be Taylor-Kinney Vineyards.  He mingled the whole night and as the party wound down, he invited a few of the young artists out to continue the party. He knew he was almost old enough to be their father but tonight looking young helped him feel like one of them.  As midnight came and went and Justin was still out on the dance floor.  By the time the small group stumbled back to the hotel. Justin could have had  his choice of playmates for the night but he said goodnight at the door went up to the penthouse.  He had done a good job of not thinking about Brian today but now in the early morning hours as he got into bed, he needed him.  It wasn’t just sex, it was his very essense.  

It was late when Brian got to the little garden he and Justin called home all those years ago.  He met Dan’s agent and her husband  and shared a bottle of wine with them before he went in, climbed the circular staircase, and got into bed. As he put his phone on the charger he looked at it.   No message.   Brian looked up at the ceiling and quietly said, “Good night, Sunshine.  I love you.”                                                                                      


“Dad, you’re home!” Gage nearly ran Gus over before the door to the garage was closed.  “Dad, please, will you? Can you make it happen? You aren’t too busy are you? Uncle Zach has business so he can’t….”

“Gage, your dad has no idea what you are talking about.  Go water your grandpas’ plants and let me talk to him first.”  Shelby ruffled his head.

“Ok, I’ll be back soon,” Gage commented as he walked out.

Gus plucked Tallia off the floor and snuggled her until she was giggling.  Just as Shelby started to say something Taylor came bounding in from the pool, “Dad, please tell me you can.”

“Taylor, I am trying to talk to him right now. Tally wanted to play in the water. If you can take her to the steps and watch her we can talk.”  Shelby smiled at her daughter who had grown so much.

“Ok, come on, munchkin, do you want to play on the steps of the pool?” As Taylor took her little sister’s hand, Gus kissed her cheek.  He smiled as Taylor talked to Tally all the way to the pool.

“Well, obviously the kids are excited about something.” He pulled Shelby close and kissed her.

When they separated Shelby smiled and said, “What was your first clue?  Remember those two were going on a summer field trip to Knott’s Berry Farm?”                 

“I do remember that.” Gus kissed her neck. “I thought we were going to….” Gus ran his down to her ass and pulled her close.                                                              

“Yes, I was looking forward to it but I was notified today that if they couldn’t find one more chaperone they would have to cancel it.  I could use a break from the foundation.  Zach could watch her tomorrow morning but he has a conference call in the afternoon and can’t have two three year olds running around.  Could you take Friday afternoon off? Maybe Trenton could come over and you two could swim and….  Well, there are lots of rooms for the two of you….just not our room.”

“I can make it work,” Gus smiled at her.  “Are you sure you want to go? I could go if you want to…”

“No, it has to be a female for room distribution at the hotel.”

“Well, go tell them you can do it.”

“I already have.” She smiled at him and he swatted her backside.

“I love you, Gus Kinney,” she kissed him

“Oh, trust me, this is for me.  If those kids couldn’t go at this point it would be unbearable.”

“You’re a good dad.”

“Yes, I will suffer through an afternoon playing in the pool with Tally and then spend the night with….” Shelby kissed him, cutting off his words.    

“Do you mind starting the grill? I thought that would be good tonight.”

“Sure, and I’ll check with Trent about tomorrow.”

Later that night Gus and Shelby lay exhausted on the bed, “Did you talk to Trenton?”

“I did but it took some talking.  He doesn’t want to ever do anything that might upset you.  I told him you suggested it.”                                                 

“He’s a nice man, a good man.”

“Yes, he is and he’s a lonely man even if he doesn’t realize it.  I feel sorry for him. I know he isn’t ever going to be a social butterfly but I know he would like a relationship with his family or at least contact with them.” Gus stopped and thought about his friend for a moment.  “It’s his birthday in a couple weeks and I bet, other than me, no one will notice and it’s his 50th.”           

“Well, then you need to plan something special for him.”

“I don’t want to leave you alone with ….

“Take him somewhere. How about the Lighthouse?  That is such a great place and it’s secluded with very few people around. That shouldn’t make Trent too nervous.”              

“You’re right! That would be perfect for him, for us and you and I have never been there as guests.”

“That sounds perfect.  Well, I better get some sleep.  I doubt I will get much sleep in the next couple days.”  

It was early when Shelby and the teenagers left Friday morning. After they left, Gus went back to bed. The next thing he knew, a little body was sitting on his chest.  “Daddy, is it time to go to Jussy’s house.  Uncle Zach makes me pannercakes.”

“Well, do you think there would be enough for me?  I like pannercakes.” Gus picked Tally up and held her above his head as she laughed.

“Daddy, I want my purple dress.”

“Well, darling, I need a quick shower.  Can you stay right here where I can see you?”  Tally was young enough Gus didn’t care if she saw him naked.  He placed her on the floor in the doorway to the bathroom along with her favorite babydoll.

“Daddy, you don’t look like me.  You have extras.” She looked at his penis as he took off his shorts and got in the shower.

“Yes, I do and you can ask your mom all about it later, Ok?”  He kept an eye on her as he quickly showered and then grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his waist when he was done.  Five minutes later he was in Tallia’s room helping her into her purple sundress.  In another ten minutes they were in the car after letting Zach know they were on their way for pancakes.          


Brian woke for a breakfast meeting.  He had a feeling Justin was up late so he waited until he had finished with the meeting to call him.  It was shortly after 10:00 a.m. when he called Miami.  He was just about to give up when he heard his voice  “Hey, Bri.  Good morning.” Justin’s voice was filled with the raspiness of just waking up.

“You alone?” Brian questioned.

“Yes, I’m alone, not that I didn’t have any offers.”  Justin responded.

“You could always have offers and if you were with someone, I’d understand.”

“I did have a good time last night.  It has been a while since I was with a bunch of artists.  I will go back for the charity fundraiser about 5:00.”

“What are you doing until then?” Brian questioned.

“Watch men on the beach of course.” There was a note of fun in his voice.

“Damn, of course you are. I only wish I could be there with you.” Brian looked at the time. “Shit, I have to get to another meeting.  Sunshine, are we good?”

“Of course we’re good.”

“Sunshine, I love you.”

“I know that, Brian.  Have a good day.” and with that the line went dead.

Brian had an odd feeling.  He wasn’t exactly sure what it was but there was something different about the way he sounded.  He had to get going now but later he would think all of this through.


Danny was alone at his dads’ house.  Marcus had taken Hannah to town and Dan was over at the office next door. Danny hadn’t been to the practice for the last two weeks and he knew he had to go back on Monday but he wasn’t moving back with Elliott until  something was worked out.  He wasn't sure if that was even possible anymore. But he missed him so much.

Elliott pulled up to Dan’s office and walked into the building.  “Dan, I appreciate you making time to see me today.  How is he?”

“He’s hurting.  He misses you but when you called, I knew this wasn’t going to go anywhere if you two never talk.  You need to speak to each other and if you want to work it out you might have to talk to someone else but I do think you will both feel better by just talking or, hell, make love.  You need each other and what gay men need the most is sex of course.” Dan gave him the house code.  “Just remember, Elliott, if you hurt him ….”

“I know, I just need to talk to him. I need to figure out how to fix this.”

“Elliott, I’m not butting in but I am going to say this one time.  I didn’t want kids.  I fought it and fought it.  I just knew I wouldn’t be a good father but then Danny came along and then Hannah and I found out kids don’t care if you’re a screw up and they make your life so much better.”  With that Dan  put his head down and went back to work while Elliott walked out of the office and next door to the house.

Ellliott let himself in and immediately saw Danny standing by the window.  Danny had heard the door and figured it was Dan coming back for some reason.  “Did you forget something, Da….” Danny turned around and found Elliott about five feet away. “El, what are you doing here?”

“Your dad told me to come.  He said we need to talk. Danny, can we talk?”

“Do you know what we need to talk about?”

“Danny, I know this is all about your kids, and I am sorry I don’t share your desire for them,” he took a couple steps to close the distance. He reached out and ran the back of his and across Danny’s cheek.  “I just need to…..Danny, I love you and, he stepped even closer putting his free arm around Danny’s waist and brought his mouth closer to Danny’s.  Danny didn’t retreat so he closed the last couple inches and brushed his lips lightly across Danny’s lips and then Danny wrapped his arms around Elliott’s neck and deepened the kiss.  The intensity grew and grew but then Danny stepped backwards.

“I can’t do this, El. I can’t.  I love you and it hurts too much.   Will you come to counseling with me?  Are you willing to talk about it or are we done?”

“Danny, you aren’t being fair.  You know how much I love you.  How come you have to make this…”

“If you really can’t see that we need to talk about this, you can go now,” Danny turned around and walked back to the window.

“Alright, Danny.  I will do anything to get you back at our house and our clinic.” 

“So I can schedule a time for us with a therapist?”

“Yes, my love,” he walked back to Danny.  “Please, Danny, can we….I need you so bad.”

Danny took his hand and led him toward his bedroom.  As they walked into Danny’s room he turned and looked at Elliott.  Putting a hand on each side of Elliott’s face he softly said, “I love you, El, and I plan to make love with you now, but then you are going back home.  I can’t move back until….until things are settled. Do you understand that?”

“Danny, I don’t understand any of this but I will do anything to get you back.” Elliott had Danny’s fly down  before the door was shut.


Gus pulled up at Zach’s and took a deep breath. He hoped he had Zach’s patience.  He was taking both girls back with  him so Zach could have his conference call in peace and he planned to pick up Juss by 4:00 so they would be gone before Trenton arrived.

“Daddy!” Tallia greeted Gus when he walked in and ran into his arms.  “Is Jussy really coming home with us so she can go swimming?”

“Yes, Tally, Juss is coming swimming with us.” Both little girls cheered.  Gus looked at Zach, “Can I really do this?”

“Sure you can.  I would say maybe let them swim about an hour and then some relaxing on a lounge chair.  They just finished lunch so they shouldn’t need anything except maybe something to drink later.

“Well, little ladies, are you ready to go swimming?” A second cheer went up and Gus walked out of the door with a little girl in each arm. Gus had to smile at the girls.  He really did have a great family.  He thought of his dads for a moment, knowing they were on different ends of the east coast.   Of course he knew there was nothing to worry about.  His dads may have had their disagreements and little disputes in the past but nothing would separate those two.