- Text Size +

Chapter 4


Brian stood in the airport in the luggage area  waiting for Justin.  He had missed him so much.  He hoped this was the last time he slept alone in years.  He officially had one more week before he was retired.  He envisioned them spending the next two weeks locked in the house spending most of the time in bed. When Brian saw Sunshine coming down the hall to the baggage area, Brian moved forward to meet him.  He wrapped his arms around Justin and embraced him. He held him for a long time before he brought his lips down and life was good again. “I have missed you so much. I love you”

Justin brought his mouth to Brian’s ear, “I love you, too.  I’m ready to go home.  I can’t wait to tell you my plans.”

“Plans?” Brian had an odd feeling about those words but his thoughts soon moved on as Justin pressed the full length of his body against Brian’s.  Brian growled low in his throat.  “Let’s get your bags so we can go home.”

An hour later they were home and Justin’s bags had been dropped in the kitchen. They were both naked and Brian had Justin pinned to the bed as his mouth roamed over him from head to toe.  Justin was so hard it hurt which just got him more excited. “God, Brian, I want you.  Screw the hell out of me.  Oh, please, I need you deep….”

Brian propped Justin’s hips up so he had a better angle. Then Brian lost patience.  He drove in and knowing it was somewhat painful he could see Justin go into that place that always gave him such bliss. He cried out as wave after wave of pleasure hit him.  Brian shuddered and dropped on top of him. Brian rolled off, bringing Justin along.  “God I missed you. I am so sorry I couldn’t go with you but, Sunshine, I will be done as of Labor Day.  That is only about 10 days away.  After that…” 

“Brian, we need to talk tomorrow but tonight, talking is the last thing I want to do.  With that Justin rolled Brian over and as he drug his tongue down his spine and when he got to the crevice between his cheeks, Justin kept going until he began to probe into his bud and Brian couldn’t think about anything.


Molly looked at her daughter.  Where had her sweet little girl gone and who was this brooding teenager who wouldn’t talk to her.  “Jenna, your dad isn’t going to lift any of the restrictions if you don’t talk to us.” Molly sat down next to her daughter.  When she refused to discuss anything with her parents, Tyler took everything away from her.  She lost her phone, her computer, her tablet… everything that was important to a teenage girl.  She also could not go anywhere alone. 

Jenna glared at her mom, “You can’t hold me here like a prisoner.  I’m your daughter!”

“Actually, Jen, we can.  You are underage and you were found with alcohol and drugs.”

“I bet Taylor didn’t get punished at all.”

“Well, you’d be wrong.  She is grounded until Labor Day.”

“But you and dad haven’t given me an end date. Dad said it would be at least a month.  That’s not fair.”

“Jenna, you knew there was going to be booze and you refuse to answer if you knew about the pot.”

“Mom, Dad would totally lose it if he found out I knew about the pot.”

“Does that mean you did?”

Jenna stood up and stalked a few feet away, “I didn’t say that. Dad is just unreasonable. He treats me like I am 10 and no matter what I say …. I hate it here!” Jenna ran up the steps and Molly heard the door slam. Molly looked at the bottle of wine on the counter but knew it was far too early in the day.  She sat down by her computer and started working on a kitchen for one of the homes she was decorating. 

Molly was just making a pot of coffee when the doorbell rang.  She glanced out the side glass and saw Shelby standing there. She flung the door open and hugged her friend. “Your timing is perfect.  I just started a pot of coffee.”

“I take it Jenna still isn’t talking?”

“She won’t say a word about anything, except how unfair we are.  She got Tyler so wound up she will be lucky to be allowed out of the house by Halloween.” Molly poured them each a cup of coffee and brought a box of chocolates along. “How is Taylor?”

“Taylor is taking it quite well.  She is home babysitting right now.  She was actually scared for Jenna and herself.  She knew they were in over their heads and she said Jenna seemed to be wanting to get into trouble. Taylor said she seemed to be oblivious to the kind of danger she could be in.  Molly, she used to talk to Brenda when she needed to think something through.  Do you think that could be the problem?”

“I know that’s when it started but if she won’t talk, we can’t do anything. Tyler said we just need to give her a little more time.  I’m scared if she doesn’t snap out of it won’t be long before she gets kicked out of school and then….”

Shelby got out of her chair and wrapped her arms around Molly, “You know the whole family will help in any way we can.”

“Yes, I know and I am so thankful for that.  I am trying to talk my mom into coming to visit over Labor Day.  I thought maybe talking to her other grandma…”

“That sounds like a good thing and I know Tally and Juss would love to see her.”

“I’m working on it but, Shelby, have you talked to my brother at all?”

“Well not since he left for Florida.  He comes back today, doesn’t he?”

“I probably am not supposed to say anything but Justin asked if he could move into Brenda’s apartment for a little while.”

“Are he and Brian fighting? Gus didn’t say anything about it and he has been talking to both of them.”

“No, that’s the weird part.  Justin said everything was good between them but he needed a place away for a while.”

“This does not give me a good feeling. When those two are apart it is never good.”

Shelby and Molly talked for a little while before Shelby left for home.  She needed to talk to Gus about this tonight.  This didn’t sound good.


Zach sat at the doctor’s office.  He had stopped by earlier in the morning and made a ‘deposit’ and now he was waiting to talk to him.  He had told Brinn not to bother coming with him.  He had some business around town all day so Brinn was working from home and Justice was there with her.  He knew she was busy but there was a small part of him that wished she could be there. 

Brinn wished she could go to Zach’s appointment but she knew Justice would not be happy to go there and she really didn’t want her three year old to know all the facts of life yet and she would have picked up on the conversation.  She had talked to Shelby but she was in town dropping Gage off at an activity and, although she trusted Taylor completely, there had been several tiny earthquakes the last couple days and Juss just hated those. She didn’t want Taylor to have two panicked three year olds.

As she sat at her desk she wasn’t getting any work done even though Justice was napping.  She kept thinking about Zach until the doorbell got her attention. She glanced at the screen and saw it was George.  She unlocked the door and said, “Come in, George.  I’ll be right there. Juss is sleeping.”  She disconnected and walked toward the entry.  

“Hey, Brinn, I had dropped some food off at Dan and Marcus’ house and thought I’d stop and say hi.”  He gave her a friendly hug.

“You know YOU are always welcome. I know I have said it before but I don’t know what you see in Vicky.”

“Let’s not go there, Brinn. Is Juss around?”

“She’s napping.  The tremors have been upsetting her so much. I really wanted to be with Zach at an appointment right now but I didn’t want Taylor to have to deal with her if there was another one.”

“I could stay.  I don’t have any place I have to be until this evening.”

“Are you sure, George?”

“Go.  I will give her a little snack when she wakes up and tell her you will be back soon. I would love to spend a little time with her.” George smiled over at ther.

“Oh, thank  you!  You have my number and I will hold onto my phone. I don’t think it will take more than an hour or so.”

“No, just one of his appointments.”

“Don’t rush.  I don’t have anything else to do.  I was just going home.”

“Oh, Vicky is going to….”

“Go!  Don’t worry about it.”  Brinn kissed his cheek and was gone. 


Zach was still in the waiting room when Brinn walked in, “Lulu, what are you doing here? Where’s Juss?”

“Juss is taking a nap and George is staying there until we get back.”

“George? How did that happen?” Zach had a bit of an edge to his voice.  He didn’t often show any negativity when it came to George but today Brinn was getting the feeling he wasn’t happy.

“Zach, did I do something wrong? I just wanted to be with you for this. Is there a problem with George.” Brinn kissed him softly.

“No, he’s a good man…”

All the sudden Brinn figured it out, “Oh, Chase, I should have realized...here we are running tests for you and I leave our daughter with the sperm donor.”

“He is much more than a sperm donor and he is a great man.  It isn’t his fault I feel the way I do. I couldn’t love that little girl…”

“Oh, no one has ever doubted that. You are the best father and she couldn’t love you more. You don’t…”

“Zach,” a nurse called to him, “the doctor is ready for you.” 

Brinn squeezed Zach’s hand and they walked back to the doctor’s office.


“Mama, are you there, Mama?”

“Hello, Justice,” George said as he walked into the little girl’s room.  

“You are not Mama.”

“You are right about that.  Your mama is much prettier than I am “

“Where is she?” Justice reached up and let George lift her out.

“She is with your dad.  They will both be home soon. Would you like a snack?”

“Yes, please.” Justice rested her head on his chest as he carried her to the kitchen.  She was still rubbing sleep from her eyes.  Just then she tensed and George realized there was the slighted tremor to the ground.

“It is alright, darling.” George kissed her forehead and her cheek. 

“I don’t like the earthquakes,” a tear ran down her face.

“I can understand that.  It can be scary for everyone.” 

“But why does it….” the doorbell rang and he carried her over and looked out, “Well, it looks like we have company,” he opened the door and Vicky walked in.  “Hey Vic? What are you doing here?”

“I just thought I would stop by.”

“You just thought you’d make sure Brinn wasn’t here.”

Vicky walked around the house looking at all the top of the line features in it.   “She can afford anything.  She has never had to work a day….”

“Jussy,” George cut her off, “Would you like a snack now?”

“Yes, please.” She said but kept her arms wrapped around his neck.

“Let me hold her while you make her something.” Vicky reached over and grabbed Juss out of George’s arms.

“No!  I want to stay with George,” Justice said.

“Vicky, you surprised her.  Just let her...I can get her a snack.” George set her on the counter while he pulled out some bread.  He took a slice of bread and rolled it out flat.  He spread some  jam on it and then rolled it up.  He then mixed a little peanut butter with some Greek yogurt for a dipping sauce. George watched her pull her legs under her and she dipped her jelly pinwheel in the peanut butter.  

“Thank you, George.  This is good.”

“You are so welcome, love.  Do you remember Vicky?  

Juss nodded her head. “She is Leo’s aunt.”

“Yes, she is and she is my girlfriend.”

“Why?”

“Why? Because we like each other.”

“She doesn’t like my mommy.  I heard them once.”

Vicky looked indignant, “Adults can have disagreements sometimes. That doesn’t mean anything.”  Vicky tried to soften her tone as she spoke, “And just because adults don’t get along doesn’t mean we can’t get along, ok?”

“Ok,” Juss looked up to George for reassurance and he nodded.  “When will my daddy be back?”

“Your daddy is…”

“VICKY!” George cut her off. “Juss, they will be here pretty soon so Vicky better head home.”  George turned and looked at Vicky and said very softly, “You know you can’t be here when they get home.”

“Well, Justice, I’m glad we can be friends.”

“Bye, Vicky.” Juss said as she left.  “George, I am sorry but I don’t like her.”

“Well, hopefully when you get to know her better you can be friends.”


Zach and Brinn walked out of the clinic holding hands.  Once they were outside, Brinn hugged him tight.  “Zach, I am so sorry.  I would give anything to have your baby.”

“I’m sorry, I can’t be a father.”

“No, Zach, NEVER say that,” she stepped back and looked into his eyes, “Just because you can’t get me pregnant has nothing to do with your ability to be a father. Our daughter is so lucky to have you as her daddy, even if her father pops in once in a while.”  Zach kissed her,  “And at least we don’t have to worry about pregnancy? Do you know how many couples would kill for that.”

“Oh, I like that part! I know I have said it before but I really mean this, Any child of your is a child of mine.”

Separately, they drove home and when they arrived the house smelled amazing. “Daddy!” Juss squealed as Zach picked her up. “George is making us dinner.”

“I hope that is alright.  Juss wanted  to help cook so I looked at what you had in the house.  I hope that is alright.”

“It smells great,” Zach said casually as he held his daughter. “I am sure we will enjoy it. Thanks’ for watching our little girl.”

“I….you know I would love to spend time with her.  If you ever ….” 

Brinn watched Zach withdrawal a bit and then he walked with Justice into another room.

“Did I do something?”

“No, George, it isn’t you.  Everything is fine but...well,”

“It is none of my business. I understand.”

“Thanks, George, I’m really glad I could be with him.“ 

“You know I love her.  I know she is yours, but I love her.”

“Well, I have seen her look at you and the feeling is mutual.” George smiled and walked out of the door.


Brian and Justin got out of bed in time to make dinner. They were both exhausted and exhilarated at the same time.  “Is breakfast food alright?”  Justin asked as he pulled out eggs, bacon, and cheese.  He dug in the freezer and found some cooked sausages.  He pulled out some cinnamon rolls that just needed to be thawed and Justin started cooking.

As Justin scrambled eggs in a bowl he focused on what he was doing but started talking to Brian.  “You should have been there, although you probably would have gotten bored but the artwork was so amazing.  And those young artists, they have done more in the artworld then I have and they have only been out of college more than a handful of years.  I just….well, we had a family and I wouldn’t have changed my time with Gus and Brinn for anything but,” Justin poured the eggs into a pan and once they were on the low heat, he heated the sausage and rolls.

Brian walked over to him, “But?” he wrapped his arms around Justin’s upper chest and shoulders.

“Well, you are about to retire and have been so successful in everything you did. I mean you have the advertising, the vineyard, and all the hotels.”

“Justin, we own those things.”

 Justin turned off the heat under the eggs and turned into Brian’s arms. “I know but you did the work for it.”

“Well, you raised our kids. That is worth so much more than….”

“Brian, I want to do one last big series.  Who knows how long my leg will allow me to be up on it for hours.” Justin walked past Brian and got the sausages, dropping them in the pan next to the eggs to brown them a bit.

“Of course, you can do that.  I have never stopped you from doing your art. You have a great studio here.  I can bring you food and take advantage of the starving artist.”

“No, Brian.  I can’t be distracted.  I want my total focus to be on the painting.  I can’t do that around you.  When you are around, I just want to crawl in bed with you and make love.  Now I am not saying I don’t want sex for the weeks I paint but it has to be like the old days.  When I want sex I’ll try to find it.  Of course the only place I will look is here but I don’t expect you to just sit here and wait for me. I mean if I come over and you are gone, you are gone?  I know this doesn’t make a lot of sense.  Can you understand what I am saying?”  Justin handed Brian a plate of food and took one for himself.  “I just need to be able to work for 48 hours straight if I need to.” Justin sat next to Brian and looked at him. “Does that make any sense?”

Brian sat there eating his dinner in silence. “Sunshine, I understand your need to paint and have some privacy but, why can’t you do it here?”

“Because, my love, I can’t focus when I am near you. All I can think about is the length of your back, the firmness of your ass, and, god, just the taste of you.”

“Is that bad?” Brian held Justin’s chin and kissed him so deeply Justin nearly melted from the heat.”

“No, but that is exactly why I can’t be here.  Molly said I can use Brenda’s apartment and I can use the attic space above for my studio. And when I hit a brick wall or just need you so bad...I’ll call and if you are free we can be together.  If you need Marcus and Dan, well, I’m hoping you would call them but if you need to go out…”

“Shit, Justin. I don’t want anyone but you. Why are you doing this now? I mean I am retiring in ten days.  We will be free to travel, to spend all day every day together.  We can take our grandkids somewhere special.”

“The grand kids will be in school except for the little girls and of course if you want to spend time with them, I am sure you could.”

“Fuck, Sunshine! Is this really so important to you?”

“It is, baby. I need to do this.  Maybe it will go fast. I just know if I am here with you, I will never get it finished.  You can come visit but you need to call first.  I want to just show that I really have the talent…”

“Oh, Sunshine, you have so much talent.  I don’t like it but I guess I can understand it a little.  I’m a big personality and you have always been willing to take a backseat but now it’s your turn to fly just don’t forget where your heart is.”

“Oh, do you know how much I love you?”

“I am hoping you’ll show me.”

After Justin showed his love several ways, he fell asleep but Brian laid there staring at the ceiling.  Was he really serious?  He thought he could understand how he felt but it was so  wrong.  Justin was so successful in his life. But if Justin needed to realize that on his own, he would give him space.  He just prayed that Justin would realize he didn’t need to do it this way. But he thought back to some of Justin’s other artistic binges and once he got into a mode he could lose himself.  Brian just didn’t want to lose him too.  He kept reminding himself another man wasn’t involved.  He wasn’t sure what was a bigger threat, a man or his art.


Zach held Brinn closely.  She never stopped surprising him at what an amazing lover she was.  He had never figured out how as such a weak, unhealthy guy, he had snared her.  She was gorgeous and an heiress and she loved him.  He didn’t doubt that.  He just didn’t understand it.

“Earth to Zach,” Brinn placed a hand on his chest and looked into his eyes.  Where did you go?”

She brought her mouth down to his.  He ran his hand down her naked back and landed on her ass.  “I was just wondering how I ended up with the most amazing woman in the world, with a perfect child, and yet what do I have to offer you?”

“Are you serious? Chase, I couldn’t go through a day without you.  You are my life.  You are my support.  You give me everything I need.”

A look of sadness crossed his face, “I can’t give you another child.”

“Oh, Chase, you know the doctor said it was possible.  It would just mean a lot of procedures for both of us.  I will do it. I will do anything for you.”

“No, I don’t want you to have to go through all of that and you would be the one that would be most affected. I just…..   I want us to have another child soon.  If Gus is willing….”

“We will try to talk to them this weekend. Maybe they can come here and Taylor can watch both little girls. I know some people might think it is weird and the new baby and Gus’ kids will be half siblings but it worked for Matteo and me. Thank you, Chase for putting up with my weird ideas.”

“Oh, Lulu, it just makes me love you more knowing how much you want to please your fathers.”

“And remember, just because you are shooting blanks doesn’t mean we can’t practice,” she kissed his cheek, “and practice,” she kissed his mouth, “and practice,”  she kissed his chest and then continued  downward.


“Gus, you awake?” Shelby asked Gus softly.  They had gone outside to watch the stars and ended up skinny dipping and then fell asleep under a large beach blanket on the pool deck.  

“I am now.  Haven’t had enough yet?”

Gus moved his hand down and slipped a couple fingers into her. “God, Gus, stop, I can’t think when you start….I have been trying to talk to you all night!”  

“I’m sorry,” he brought his hand up and licked off his fingers.  “What is it, Shelly?”

“You talked to your dads today, didn’t you?”

“Of course, when they were out of bed long enough to say hi.  It was just before dinner.”

“They seemed alright?  They didn’t say anything about your dad  moving out?” Shelby looked over at Gus.

“No!  Moving out?”

“He called Molly and asked if he could stay in Brenda’s place.”

“That can’t be...They were obviously not fighting today.” Gus pulled her close.  “I will talk to them in the morning.  Ready to go inside?” Gus stood and as he offered his hand to Shelby there was a little shaking again. “I wish it would just have a real quake and be done with it! Let’s go to bed.  Maybe I can rock your world.” They both laughed as they ran through the house naked.


Gus texted his dads and said he was coming for breakfast. Brian looked at his phone, “So who did our son talk to? Who knows?”

Justin kissed him, “I only talked to Molly and I am sure she talked to Tyler but other than that…”

“Gus told you about the incident with Taylor and Jenna. I bet Shelby and Molly talked.  Well, I guess we better get up and make breakfast. Maybe it will make sense to me when you explain it to him.” Brian got up and offered a hand to Justin.

“Brian, do you really not understand?” he asked as he pressed his body against Brian’s”

“All I know for sure is that without you I wouldn’t have managed half of what I have done in my life.  I mean you always kept me focused and, face it, I would have died when I was barely 40. And not that I agree with it, but I think I can see your point of view. Just remember to come home to me often.” Brian pulled him close and it was obvious the kiss he gave him next affected him.”

“Brian, you know it isn’t that I don’t love you….”

“I do, Sunshine,” he spanked Justin’s bare ass, “Now get on a robe and make our son some breakfast.”

Thirty minutes later Gus was drinking coffee at the counter with Brian while Justin put food on plates.  “So tell me, what is this about you moving out, Dad?  Pops, you don’t seem angry or upset.”

Justin brought the plates of food and set them in front of Brian and Gus and then got his own plate and sat next to Gus. “We aren’t fighting, Gus.  It is just something I need to do for myself. Brian is retiring in a  week and it just dawned on me all the things I never did.  I talked to a group of young artists in Miami and they just reinforced all the things I haven’t done that I planned to do.  I am going to paint a new series of five paintings.  I will stay in Brenda’s apartment and used the loft above it as my studio.  I just need to do this.”

“And Pops, you’re alright with this?”

“Your dad has a mind of his own and if he feels he needs to do this, I’m not going anywhere.”

“So, today I am going to move my art supplies over there and then I will bring over a little bit of clothes. I have told Brian that I will split my time but it has to be my choice.  I need to do my own thing and not feel guilty.”

“He will come home to me.  He will need me and I’ll need him.” Brian looked over Gus and locked eyes with Justin. “He’ll come home to me.”

“This isn’t meant as a negative. It is just something I need to do.”

“Well, it is none of my business, but Dad, don’t forget Pops needs you.”  Gus didn’t expect either of them to respond. “I will see you Labor Day if not before.”

“Ok, Gus.  Is it your place or Brinn’s?”

“Ours of course.  It’s the curse or the blessing of the pool.  We don’t mind.  Hell, that pool gave me one of the best nights of sex I have had with Pen.”

“Pen?”  Brian pulled a face.

“Trenton. He’s an author.  He writes so I call him Pen.”

“Was your camera on at the pool? I might need some…”

“Shut up, Pops.” And with that Gus left.


By Friday evening, Justin was moved into Brenda’s old place and Brian was spending the evening with Dan and Marcus at their place. “Where’s Hannah?”  Brian asked as he sipped some wine.

“She’s with Danny and Elliott. She Loves going over there. It kills her that they are struggling.  She’s bright.  She sees Danny’s pain.  Danny hopes that having a child around might soften Elliott up.  I don’t think Danny is going to wait around much longer.” Marcus said as he sat next to Dan on the sofa, giving him a long kiss. 

Dan’s hand settled on Marcus’ fly.  “If I would have fought harder about Hannah, would you have left?”

“Dan, as much as I love you, my heart would never have been complete without our kids.  And you have to admit, you would have had an emptiness if it were just the two of us.”


“They definitely have added to our life.”

“Has Elliott ever explained why he is so adamant?” Brian asked.

Dan shrugged, “According to Danny he talks in counseling but never really says anything. They have started sleeping in separate rooms. Neither of them are happy.  I might just have to go knock some sense into him. He is hurting our…” Dan’s fingers had tightened on Marcus.

“Darling, I think you are fond...off…”

“Oh, sorry, Red.” Dan put his arms around Marcus and he kissed him. A timer went off in the kitchen and Marcus slipped away from Dan to finish dinner.

“So when will you see Justin next?”

“My guess is Labor Day.”

“Are you alright with this?” Dan looked Brian directly in the eyes,

“Dan, you know it isn’t whether I’m alright or not.  Justin needs to know he’s alright.”

“Hey, dinners ready,”  Marcus said and as Brian stood he linked his arm around Brian’s waist.  “Justin needs this.  If he’ll let me I’ll keep an eye on him.” Marcus kissed Brian’s cheek.

“Thanks, Marcus, this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better I think.  I know him.  He’ll get sucked in.  He won’t eat or sleep…”

“Molly will keep an eye on him. He didn’t go far.” Dan tried to reassure him.

“I know.  I’m done wallowing.  Let’s eat.”


Taylor was happy to watch the two little girls.  Gage was out of the house so he wouldn’t annoy any of them and they were having mac and cheese which was always a favorite.  There was a new movie they wanted to watch so the evening was set. Taylor told them she would put nail polish on them while they watched the show so everyone was happy.  

Gus and Shelby arrived at Brinn and Zach’s.  “God, George is such an amazing cook.”  Gus said as he finished the last bite on his plate. 

“Does anyone know what he sees in Vicky?” Brinn started, “I have never felt such dislike for a person immediately. I just can’t find anything I like about her and I have tried.”

“I know.  She is so different from sweet Nora,” Shelby agreed. “And that little Leo, your nephew is so adorable.”  For the next five minutes they talked about the little boy but then it circled around.

“You both know one of the reasons we invited you tonight. Shelby, I know Gus talked to you already and I know it may sound really weird. I mean, Gus is my brother but since he isn’t my biological brother I am hoping you will agree to this.  This is the only way our dads can have a child biologically belonging to both of them.  You know they love all the kids but, just to see what they created…”

Shelby looked at Brinn and Zach, “I think that would be the best thing you could give your dads and you two are such great parents.  Plus our older kids will understand and I think Tally and Juss will love having another connection.”

“Do we need to buy a new turkey baster? That’s how JR was conceived,”  Gus chuckled.

“If you’re Ok with it, I think I will see if Tammy will help us.  I’d ask Danny but he wants a child so bad. I don’t want to rub it in his face.”

“Just let me know when it works for Tammy,” Gus walked over to Brinn’s chair and pulled her up, giving her a hug. “I love you, Brinny.  I can’t wait to see you with a new little one in your family.” 

“If you happen to get pregnant quickly, you might have an anniversary surprise for our dads.”  

“Oh, that would be so amazing.  I’ll talk to Tammy tomorrow.”

The couples enjoyed the rest of the evening and by the time Gus and Shelby went home and Zach followed to get his little girl, everyone was excited about the possibilities.  When they arrived, Zach found Justice asleep on Taylor’s lap.  As he lifted her to his shoulder, she said, “Daddy, look at my pretty nails.  I love you, Daddy.” And then she was asleep again.

“I can’t wait to have another one.”  Zach thanked Taylor and took his sleeping daughter home.


By Labor Day, Brinn had talked to Tammy who agreed to help them with their project.  They had decided to tell everyone that they were going to try for another.  They would just use the word donor and knew their family wouldn’t pry.  “Dad,” Brinn walked over and hugged Brian.  “Is Daddy coming?”

“I am not sure.  Molly said she would try to get him to come but she is struggling with Jenna right now and Tyler is out of town.  With Paul away at college, they just have so much going on there. We can only hope.”

“Well, Dad, you know you are always welcome at our house if you get lonely.”

“Thanks, Sweetheart. Now that I am retired, you may wish you had never said that.”


Justin was covered with paint up in the loft.  He had sketched out his image of air.  It was the most abstract of the Necessities of Life.  He had started half a dozen paintings of it already but he thought he had finally found what he was looking for.  

Justin heard the apartment door slam and then heard Jenna, “Fuck!  Fuck, fuck, fuck.”

“Jenna, is everything alright?” Justin came down from his studio to see her ready to hurl a mug across the room.

“Why did Mom have to let you stay here? This is Grandma’s place.  No one else should stay here. She should be here.  Grandma should be here. She was fine and then….” Jenna dropped to the floor cross legged and cried.

Justin walked over to her but when he touched her shoulder she reacted viciously, “Don’t touch me.  I don’t want you to touch me.  I….” she stood and rushed out of the apartment almost knocking her mom over as she hurried past.

Molly walked in with a lost look on her face.  Justin walked over.  He wanted to hug her but he didn’t want her dirty. “Oh, Molly…” 

Molly threw her arms around her brother’s neck. “Oh, Justin, I just don’t know what to do.  Brenda is gone.  Paul is at college, and Tyler is gone again.  I need my husband and since Brenda’s death, we have hardly seen him.  When he is here he gets so frustrated with Jenna, he just turns around and goes on his next trip. I just don’t know what to do anymore.  She’s not a bad girl but if she doesn’t realize what she’s doing, she may end up in real trouble.”

“Oh, Mollusk, I know she’s not a bad kid.  Have you talked to Tyler?”

“He won’t listen.”

“Maybe it is time to talk to Dan.”

“I don’t want Tyler to get mad.  I just …. I’m afraid he will leave me.” Molly took a deep breath.  “I need to go change and  you need to change.  I guess at least Jenna’s outburst got your attention.  I know you won’t disappoint your grandkids.  I am sure Juss and Tally miss you.”

“Now that is hitting below the belt but I’ll be ready in 15 minutes.”


By the time Justin and Molly arrived with Jenna,  Gus and Shelby’s house and yard were full of friends and family.  The moment Justin got out of the car, Brian had him in his arms and kissed him. Justin instantly responded.   Jenna stormed past them and Molly just walked past her brother and his husband.  

“Oh, Sunshine, I have missed you.  You feel so good!” Brian pressed him against the vehicle.  “Please stay with me tonight!  Please!” 

“Papa, papa!”  Two little voices called.  

Justin looked at Brian, “Yes, I’ll stay.”

Gus was disappointed Trenton didn’t come but he knew they had the whole next weekend together.  He knew crowds were not Trent’s thing.  It was a beautiful day and people were in and out of the pool as well as some playing volleyball.  Everyone was aware of the tension between Elliott and Danny and when Brinn and Zach announced they were looking into having another baby everyone was excited for them.  

As the sun began to set, people started heading home.  When Marcus and Dan headed out the door, Justin followed them.  “Dan, do you know when Tyler will be back?”

“No, I’m not sure, why?”

“Molly really needs him here.  I’m worried about the marriage right now. I think the strain of the last few months is getting to all of them.”

“I have been thinking I need another lead agent since I am cutting back.  I probably am working him too hard. Thanks, Justin.  I sometimes lose perspective.”

“Thanks, Dan.”

The crowd had thinned to just Brian and Justin and their kids and grandkids.  The excitement about Brinn and Zach hoping to expand their family made everyone giddy and Brian and Justin didn’t even realize the most exciting part of it.  And soon everyone went home.  School was starting tomorrow so there were things to prepare and do.  

Brinn and Zach were leaving with Justice.  Brinn had talked to Tammy and let Gus know that Tammy would stop by in the morning for Gus’ specimen and Brinn, knowing her cycle completely knew tomorrow would be a good day to try.  Tammy really would have liked her to do some more prep but there was no changing Brinn’s mind.  And after Brinn had put Justice to bed, Zach and Brinn made love.  They took their time and enjoyed every moment.  Even if he couldn’t create a baby with his wife he could at least show he loved her more to make up the difference.

Justin was very chatty when he got home.  As Brian attempted to get him undressed, Justin couldn’t stop talking about his painting, “Tonight I realized what I was missing on the painting. It was the life that is air.  I have been trying to figure it out but tonight it became clear. Air isn’t visible so how ….”

Brian quit trying to slow Justin down. “You’re not going to stay are you?”

“I’m sorry, I have got to go.  I….” He stopped long enough to kiss Brian and  then said, “I have to go and get my ideas on canvas.”  Justin grabbed a set of keys for one of the SUVs and drove away.

Brian was unsettled and pulled out a bottle of whiskey and walked to the office.  After he opened the door he realized he didn’t have work to do  in there.  He was retired.  Sure he was still in charge of the vineyard but it wasn’t the busy season so there was nothing to do with that.  He walked toward the master bedroom but realized he just couldn’t sleep in there so he went into the guest room with his bottle of whiskey.  As he lay in bed he looked at the pictures of the love he shared with Justin.   As he drank himself into oblivion he stared at the pictures that portrayed his feelings so well and soon he was passed out and missing his love.

Justin stripped as he rushed up the steps to the loft.  He began painting with fluid strokes.  His children and grandchildren  were his breath, what kept him alive.  The sun was coming up before he collapsed on the old sofa  in the loft. He would only sleep a few minutes and then he would….


It was very early the next morning when Gus and Shelby woke and Shelby coaxed a specimen from  him. She didn’t have to work too hard and before Tammy had arrived to pick it up they had made love.  When Tammy texted that she was pulling up to the house, Gus rushed out with the small specimen jar and Tammy drove over to Brinn and Zach’s.  Brinn and Zach waited anxiously and when Tammy arrived she did have an instrument that reminded them of a turkey baster.  

“Ok, Brinn, try to relax.  I am just going to use this instrument to get further up so it will have a better chance of meeting your egg.  When I’m done, just to be safe, no sex for at least 12 hours and, Brinn laying in bed for an hour or so is also a good idea.

Thirty minutes later Zach lay next to Brinn.  “Do you realize,” he lay his hand on her stomach, “That you may already be growing our next child?”

“I do but right now all I can think about is all the sex we will be having if my libito kicks in like it did last time.”

Zach sighed loudly and tried to hide his grin, “It’s a terrible job but I will do my best not to complain.”