- Text Size +

Chapter 7


“Grandpa, what should I do?”  Gage yelled into the phone as he looked at the spot that was his grandfathers’ home and jumped off the four wheeler.  “I’m going to go find him.” With that Gage hung up the phone and moved toward the demolished house. He saw all the glass and the sharp edges as he moved carefully and then called out, “Grandpa, where are you? I’m trying to find you.”

The phone in Gus’ pocket  rang.  He pulled it out, wanting to talk to anyone.  “Hello?”

“Gage?”  Gage recognized Trenton’s voice.  “How is everyone doing over there? Why do you have your dad’s phone?”

“Mr. Daniels, I forgot it wasn’t mine.  Dad is at the house.  I think Mom is hurt bad.  I am waiting for the ambulance but now I am trying to find Grandpa Brian.  The house is….” Gage had to take a deep breath.

“Gage, take a deep breath.  You are doing great.   What about your grandpas’ house.”

“It is totally demolished.  I am looking for Grandpa.”

“Gage, you be as careful as you can.  I am going to try to get over there, if the roads allow.  Hopefully I will be there in about fifteen minutes.  I will call 911 and see where they are for you.”

“Thank you,” Gage tried to sound brave as he put the phone back into his pocket and continued calling out.


Zach held onto Justice, trying to calm her, as he moved down the hall back to where Brinn had fallen.  “Oh, Jussy, you’re fine, baby.  We need to check on Mommy, ok?”  

Brinn was sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall.  As she saw Justice she reached for her, “I am so sorry, Juss.  You tried to tell Mommy and I scolded you.” Brinn clung to her daughter. “You didn’t get hurt did you?”

“No, Mommy.  I was scared.  Everything rocked.”

Brinn just held her and kissed her as she moved from side to side as Justice hugged her mommy around the neck tightly. 

Zach gently touched Brinn’s shoulder and stopped her from rocking.  Their eyes met and he asked, “Any pain?”

“A little but….” 

Zach took Juss from her mom.  “Sweety, Daddy is going to carry you to the bed and then he is going to bring Mommy.  Can you wait on the bed?”

“Sure, Daddy.” She moved to the middle of her parents’ bed while Zach rushed over to Brinn. He realized he was starting to have trouble breathing himself.   

“Lulu, let me help you up and then,” Zach stopped and tried to get a deep breath. 

“Oh, Chase, you need to ….oh, no, your machine doesn’t work….where is the generator? Why hasn’t it kicked in?”

The two managed to get back to the bedroom and Zach made sure Brinn was comfortable before he fell into the other side of the bed.  Just then the generator kicked in, just in time.  Zach got the mask on and took a couple deep breaths as he fumbled for his phone.  He then realized he couldn’t talk.  He managed to say, “Call Tammy.”

Brinn kept one arm around Juss as she called Tammy. “Brinn, what’s going on? Anyone hurt over there?”

“Oh, Tammy, we are all fine but I fell and, it isn’t bad, but I fell and am cramping a little bit.”

“Where are you now, Brinn?”

“We are all in our bed.”

“Did your generator kick in?” Tammy thought about Zach.

“It did.  Zach is doing a treatment right now.”

“Good! One less person to worry about. You stay as quiet as you can and I will get there as soon as I can.”

“Tammy, you take care of people that are really hurt.  I will call you if it gets bad.”

“Ok, Just stay in bed.  Zach should be good soon and he can do what needs to be done.”


“Dad, how is mom?” Taylor’s voice came from the other side of the door.

“Her breathing is steady and so is her pulse but she hasn’t woken up,”  Gus responded. “Have you heard from Gage?”

“No.  I wonder what is taking him and Grandpa so long?  I’ll text your phone and see if he responds and try to find out what is keeping the ambulance.”

“Where’s your sister?”

“She fell asleep on my bed.  I will keep an eye on her.” Gus heard her voice crack and he stood and hugged his oldest daughter.  “You are doing so well, Tay.  Thank you.” 

“I’m so scared, Daddy.”

“So am I, Taylor. So am I.”



Gage worked his way into the wreckage.  He tried to picture where the bedroom was.  Once he got to that point he started digging but as he called out and could see enough of the bed, he could tell his grandpa wasn’t there.  He continued to call out and then got completely quiet.  He thought he heard something and then he heard another soft sound.  “I’m coming, Grandpa.  Where are you?” Gage continued to follow the soft noise.  

“Gage, the guest room.  I was sleeping in the guest room.”  

Gage rushed to that corner of the house.  “Shit!” He cried out when he felt something go through the bottom of his tennis shoe but he kept going.  “Grandpa, are you hurt?”

Brian’s voice was close now.  “I don’t think anything is serious but I can’t move. Where’s your dad? Did anyone get hurt?”

Gage followed Brian’s voice as he started lifting some of the bigger pieces that he could handle. 
“Mom is hurt.  We called an ambulance but it isn’t here yet and it has been an hour.” Gage tried to lift the next piece but it was too heavy.  Just then he heard a motor.  “I will be right back Grandpa.  I promise! I am going to see if that is the ambulance.”  Gage rushed to the driveway and saw a motorcycle coming. He wasn’t sure who it was until it stopped and the rider then took off the helmet.  It was Trenton Daniels.  “Am I glad to see you!” Gage said.  “Grandpa is stuck in there,” he pointed to the rubble.  He sounds ok but I can’t lift the beam.”

Trenton dropped his helmet and followed Gage, “Brian!  It is Trent. We’re coming.”  As they started working they moved another layer and then another.  

“Dad never told me you had a motorcycle.” 

“Well, Gage, I’m not sure he knows.  I rarely use it but I figured it would be the best way to get here and it is a good thing I did.  There were a couple times I had to leave the road to get around damage.”  Trent looked down.  Brian was visible now.  He still had a large beam across his back.

Gage grabbed it but Trent stopped him.  “Just wait a second, son.  I want to make sure Brian isn’t bleeding anywhere.  If he has an injury and we move this, he could get worse.  “Brian, you still with us?”

“Yes, just hard to talk.”

“I’m going to check you over the best I can.”  He looked at Brian.  He saw a few scratches that had bled but nothing serious. “Ok, Brian, we are going to move this beam.  Let us know if you feel any sharp pain.”  He looked over at Gage, “Ok, Gage, we are going to move to your left, my right.  Lift on three.  Are you ready?”  Gage nodded.  “We don’t have to move it far.  Brian, you don’t move until I can look at you again.”  He linked eyes with Gage and then counted, “1, 2, 3…”  It was even heavier than they expected.  “Ok, that isn’t going to work.  Brian, I think we can lift it enough for you to slide over.  Do you think you can do that?”

“Ya, go.”

“Gage, come  over here.  We are going to just lift this side to free him.”  He counted again and Brian slid over and they set the beam down. 

Brian started to sit up but Gage rushed to his side.  “Careful, Grandpa.  You might have something broke.”  

“I have lots of bumps and bruises but I’ll be fine. If you can both help me up, we can get out of this mess.  My legs are a little wobbly from being stuck. They had barely gotten Brian out and found a lawn chair for him to sit on when they heard a siren.  

“I need to point them to my house.  I... “ Gage thought about his mom for the first time.  “Oh, it’s been so long! My mom!”  Gage rushed to the drive and pointed the ambulance down the road.

“Mr. Daniels, can you stay with Grandpa.  I need to go…”

“Go, once your grandpa is ready we will move him to your place or Brinn’s.” 

Gage jumped on the four-wheeler and turned to Trent.  “The golf cart usually has keys in it.” he said as he sped off. 


Taylor heard the ambulance and rushed to the door.  She knew her mom had to be hurt badly.  She had been unconscious for a very long time now.  She showed them  up to Tallia’s room and then went to her sister’s side who had just wandered out of the bedroom. It had been hours since the quake hit.  The sun had come up so it had to be near 6:00 am.  That was about four hours.  

Gus looked over at Taylor, “Sweetheart, I know this is asking a lot but can you stay here with your sister and brother? I will call you when I know anything. I will get my phone from Gage on my way out.”

“We’ll be fine, Daddy.  Let us know something as soon as you can.” Taylor picked up her little sister and held her tight.  Gage came up beside her and put his arm around both of them. And they watched their parents leave in the ambulance.  “Where is Grandpa, Gage? He isn’t….”

“No, he looked ok.  Mr. Daniel came and helped me get him unstuck.  He will bring him down here in a little while, when Grandpa is ready to move. He just needed a couple minutes, he said.”  Gage looked at his big sister.  “Taylor, I’m really scared.”

“So am I, Gage.” The three held onto each other for a couple moments and then Taylor took a deep breath.  “If Grandpa is coming here, I better check the guest room for him.  The downstairs one is probably better if he is hurt at all. Gage, can you get Tally some breakfast.  I know we don’t have electricity but she could have some cereal or a peanut butter sandwich or…”

“I got this, sis.  You check on the bedroom.”

It was only a short time later that Gage heard the golf cart.  He took Tally off the counter where she had been eating her breakfast and carried her to the door.  “Taylor, Grandpa is here.  Is the bedroom ready?”

“Yes, Gage. I swept up the broken glass.”  Taylor responded.  

Gage set Tally on the deck.  “You stay right there while I help Grandpa.”

“Ok, Gage.” Tally smiled up at him.

Once Brian was settled into the guest room.  Trenton tried to call Justin again.  He and Brian had both tried several times but kept getting a message about no available service.  This time he heard Justin answer.  “Trenton, I can’t talk.  I am trying to get Brian and find out about my daughter in law.”

“Justin, I am at Gus’ house.”

“Oh, thank god!  How is Shelby?  Did you find Brian?”  

“Shelby is on her way to the hospital with Gus.  I am here with the kids and Brian.  He just fell asleep. Justin, I think he is alright but he had a lot of weight on him.  I hope he doesn’t have any internal bleeding. You go to the hospital and be with Gus.  I will stay here as long as I need.”

“Oh, Trenton, thank you.  I will see if Dan can come over.  He has first aid training.  I will tell him to go there as soon as I get through to him.”  And Justin was gone.


Dan and Marcus were getting more frantic with every dropped call.  They couldn’t get the family she had spent the night with, not even using Dan’s satellite phone system.  They had talked to Danny and Elliott a couple times but they were too busy patching people up to talk on the phone.  When Dan’s phone rang, Dan quickly answered.  “Justin, is everything alright? Have you talked to Brian?”

“Dan, can you get to Gus’ house?  Brian is there.  Shelby is on her way to the hospital so I am going to go there but, Dan.  Our house is gone and Brian was under it.  They say he is ok but I want you to look at him since he can’t see a doctor.  Trent says he could have internal injuries.”

“Trenton?  How did he….”

“I don’t know details.  I have to go.  Tyler is taking me to the hospital now.”

“I will go check on Brian.”

“Dan, what about Hannah? Did you find her?”

“No, we still haven’t gotten through.”  The call ended and Dan looked at Marcus.  He saw the tears in his eyes. “Oh, red.” Dan pulled him close.  “She has to be alright.  I just know it.”

“But Dan, how can we know?”

“She’s our daughter.  We would know if …..” Dan paused and kissed Marcus.  “Are you alright if I leave you for a little while? Brian and Justin’s house is gone and Brian was caught under it.  An ambulance has already taken Shelby to the hospital.  It won’t be back out there.”

“Of course.  I am going to stay here, though.  I want to be here if they bring her home.”  Marcus hugged Dan again.  “I love you, Dan.  Don’t get yourself hurt.  Some of these tremors are still fairly powerful.”

“I love you, red.  I will be back soon.” The parting kiss was long and gentle before Dan jumped on one of the carts Danny used to take across to see Brinn and it was a short ride to Gus’ place. As he drove he realized they had let Hannah do this all summer when she had permission to swim at Gus and Shelby’s.  He would know if something happened to her, wouldn’t he?  He arrived and rushed into the house.  

Gage sat with Tally playing with some blocks.  “Oh, Dan, are we glad to see you. Grandpa is in the bedroom down the hall.  Trent is with him.”  

Dan walked down the hall.  He was still unsure how Trenton Daniels ended up here but he was glad there was an adult with the kids.  He heard quiet voices as he approached the door.  He knocked and entered the room.  Taylor sat on the bed next to Brian while Trent sat in a chair nearby.  “Well, it is good to see you in one piece!” Dan strode over and kissed Brian.  “How are you feeling?”

Brian grimace.  “I think I’m fine.  I’m just too old to have a house collapse on me anymore.”

“Well, my friend, I’m just glad you are here talking.”  Dan pressed on Brian’s abdomen.  “I can’t be sure because I am not a doctor but if you had real bleeding internally your stomach would be extended by now.  I think you might have some broken or at least bruised ribs which are causing a lot of the pain.”

“Is it safe for me to drink or eat anything?”

“Don’t overdo it but, Taylor, could you make him a little something? Maybe some scrambled eggs and some bread.”

“I can cook that.” She kissed Brian’s cheek and got off the bed.  

“I am sure you can but I’ll come with you.” Trent said as he followed her out of the room.

“How did he end up here?” Dan asked Brian.

“Gage had Gus’ phone and when Daniels called to check on him.  Gage told him what had happened and he arrived just in time to help Gage free me.  Gage couldn’t have done it alone.  They struggled with the two of them.  I was just lucky the main beam landed on a dresser and I was on the bed.  Dan, your family is good, right?” Brian knew instantly something wasn’t right.

“We don’t know where Hannah is.  She was spending the night with a friend but we can’t get through to them.  She is probably fine but…” Brian reached out and winced when he stretched to take Dan’s hand.  “The others?”

“They are safe but Marcus is waiting at the house in case they bring her home.  I promised I wouldn’t be long. Phone connections are irratice at best. I will talk to Trent but if he can stay here, I’m going to head back home.” 

Brian reached out and Dan bent down for his hug.  Brian gave him a kiss, drawing it out a little longer than he probably should.  “Go find your girl.  Let us know if you can get through.”

“I will and if I can’t get through on the phone, I’ll try to stop by tomorrow to find out how Shelby is and check on your recovery.  If Danny actually comes by I will send him over.  Speaking of Danny, have you talked to Brinn.”

“We’ve tried.  The kids said Gus got through right after and they were alright but they hadn’t gotten through again. Go, Dan.  We are fine here.”  Dan left as Taylor brought a plate of food in for her grandfather.

“Mr. Daniels?” Gage looked over at Trenton.

“Gage, you may call me Trent or Trenton.”

“Ok, do you mind sitting with Tally for a little while.  I need to, well… you know and I think she is about ready for a nap.”

“Why don’t I read to her for a bit.  We have done that before when your dad brought her over.  She will be fine.  You go take a break.”

“Thank you,” Gage said as he  looked up at him. Trent could see the worry on his face.  He didn’t say anything but he put his hand on the boy’s shoulder for a moment before he walked away.

Trenton knew Gus had good kids but today he saw exactly how great a job they had done.  “Hey, cutie, would you like me to read a story to you?”  The sleepy little girl just nodded and Trenton picked her up, sat in a rocker, and began reading.


Zach had made Brinn stay in bed all day.  Once he had finished his breathing treatment he had felt much better. He had entertained Juss and made sure Brinn only got up to use the bathroom.  As the day went on, Brinn got very anxious.  “Why haven’t we heard from anyone all day? I just know something is wrong. I have tried calling everyone multiple times.”

“Brinn, if we don’t get through yet tonight, I will go out tomorrow and check, if you are feeling better.” Zach kissed her.  

Juss was dozing between them.  She hadn’t left their side all day.  There was no way she was sleeping in her room for a long time, they were sure.  But maybe they could get her to sleep on the sofa they both thought as their hands attempted to touch each other.  “You know there is no way I am going to have sex with you, Brinn.  Not until  we get the all clear,” Zach said softly.

“I know but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t have a high protein snack.” Brinn smiled.

“Oh, yes….” Zach said. “I’m going to go get some dinner for all of us and then we'll talk her into sleeping on the sofa or by the fire.”

“That sounds perfect,” Brinn agreed. Zach kissed her as he got up  to make dinner.

  

Justin had managed to get to the hospital early in the morning and was waiting for Gus and the ambulance when they arrived.  It had been a very long day.  The hospital was so busy that even though Shelby was sent right back, Justin and Gus heard nothing about her condition for hours. It was nearly noon, five hours after arriving, when an intern came out to talk to them.

“Mr Kinney, I am so sorry it has been such a long wait.  As you can imagine our scanners are busier than they ever have been.  We are waiting for your wife’s results to come back.  I can tell you that at this time she is unable to feel anything below her waist.” Justin put his arm around his son.  “It could very well be a temporary condition.  Her spine was compressed and now has swollen.  I will come back out as soon as we have the results and now that we have her in a room, you can be with her.   She is heavily drugged so she probably won’t know if you are there or not. If you follow me, we will get you to her room.”

The doctor had the nurse show them to Shelby’s room.  The doctor was right.  She had no idea they were there.  She slept soundly.  “Dad, you should go home to Pops.  I am sure you are dying to know how he is. Have you heard anything?”

“No, but I know he is in good hands.”

“But, do you even know that he is…”

“I have to believe I would know if he was….my heart would know.”

“I believe that too, Dad.  You would feel it. And you would have been told if he was brought in.” Gus dropped his head on Justin’s shoulder.  “Dad, I want you to go home.”

“No, Gus.  I don’t want you here alone.”

“Dad, my kids are….I don’t know who is there with them.  I don’t know if Pops is there or well enough to help take care of them, and Taylor needs…”

“You’re right,  Gus.  Of course the kids can’t be alone any longer.  Would you like me to call someone else?”

“Dad, there is no phone service. I’ll be fine and once I know something I will call and text.  Sometimes texts can get through if a call can’t.”

“Gus, I love you.  I’ll go to your place since it doesn’t sound like I have a home there anymore.”

“Dad, your house isn’t there anymore but your home will always be there.”

“Well, I better go.  I want to get home before it is completely dark.”  Justin hugged Gus and kissed him, “I love you, son.  Don’t worry about your kids.”  And with that Gus stood alone at Shelby’s bedside.

Justin left the hospital and on the way home he made a quick detour.  He pulled into John and Tony’s house.  He saw a broken window and a tree not standing quite as straight but other than that it was good.  He went to the door and knocked.  John opened the door, “Justin, what are you doing out here? Everyone has been told to stay home.”

Justin gave him a quick rundown of what he knew.  “John, do you think you and Tony could go to the hospital to be with Gus. Shelby is out of it and Gus may be told she will never walk again.”

Tony walked over as Justin spoke and said, “Of course, Justin.  We will go right over.  Don’t worry about him.  You go on home.”

Justin moved on and as much as he wanted to find out what was wrong with Brian he stopped at Brinn first.  When he knocked on the door, Zach answered.  “I am so glad to see you are alright.  Brinn and the kids?”

“Brinn took a fall this morning but she managed to talk to Tammy and Tammy said as long as the cramping stopped she should be fine and the cramping stopped very early today so I think she is fine.”

“Well, I need to get to Gus’ but I will run up and kiss my girls.”

Justin only stayed there a few minutes.  He told Brinn about Shelby and that he would be in touch as soon as he could.  “Daddy, we are fine. You go take care of Gus’ family.  They need you.”

And with that, Justin went to Gus and Shelby’s house. As he got closer his heart skipped a beat.  It was as if it was syncing up with Brian’s.  He had been so selfish.  Wanting to make a name for himself one last time and leaving his love alone.  He would never leave his side again.  That was a promise.  He parked at the house and walked in.  

Taylor looked up and stopped what she was doing in the kitchen and ran into his arms and began to sob.

“Taylor, Brian, is he alright? Please tell me he’s alright.”

“Grandpa will be fine.  He’s just banged up.”

“Have you been here all day alone?”

“No, Trenton has been here with us all day.   He helped Gage free Grandpa and he has been here taking care of Tally or watching Grandpa.  Dan stopped by too to check Grandpa since a doctor couldn’t come.”

“Do you know where he is now?”

“He was helping Grandpa wash up a little and found a Tshirt and Shorts of Dad’s that would fit him.”

“Sweetheart, I promise I will be out and help you with dinner but I need to…” Justin was already heading down the hall.

“Go see Grandpa.  I am just making frozen pizza.” Taylor called after him.

 Justin stopped outside the door and took a deep breath.  He then turned the doorknob and pushed it open. Brian was sitting on the edge of the bed while Trenton ran a washcloth over Brian’s chest.  As he saw Justin he smiled and walked over to him.  He handed him the cloth and walked out the door, pulling the door shut behind him.  Justin’s eyes were shimmering with tears as he looked at Brian’s bruised chest.  He walked over and dropped on his knees, putting his head on Brian’s lap.  

“I’m so sorry.  I was so selfish.  I was only thinking about myself.  I should have been home with you.  I don’t know what I thought I was doing….”  

Brian slipped his hand under Justin’s chin and tilted his head up so their eyes could meet, “Will you please come up here and kiss me.”   Brian couldn’t move much without pain but he managed to put his arms around Justin and when their lips met, Justin’s tears finally started falling.

“Sunshine, don’t cry.  Please.  I will be fine.  I’m just sore.”  Very soon Brian had to lower his arms and Justin realized he needed to lay down.  He helped him lay back on some pillows and had to kiss him once more.  

“Damn, I never asked about Shelby and Gus.  How are they? Well, maybe I should say how is Shelby?’

“Oh Brian, it’s not good.” He sat on the edge of the bed.  “When I left they were still waiting for the results. Well, Gus was.  Shelby was completely out.  But, Brian, right now she is paralized.  She can’t feel anything below the waist.”

“Oh, god, no! And you left Gus there alone?”

“He was worried about the kids and you so I left but I stopped at John and Tony’s and they should be there by now.”  

“I should have known you would think of something.” Brian kissed him once more.

“Baby, I want to check on the kids and go and see if Trenton wants to leave. He may not since it is getting dark quickly and we still don’t have electricity.  I’ll be back, darling.”

“Yes the kids will need you.  I’ll be here when you get back. Sunshine,  I love you.”

“Oh, I love you, Brian.”  Justin stepped out.  

As Justin walked to the kitchen he heard something kick in and there was light.  “How did that happen?” Justin asked Taylor as he kissed her cheek.  

“Uncle Dan just brought a generator and hooked it up. Grandpa, they still don’t know where Hannah is.  I’m scared for her.  Grandpa, how is Mom? Is she….”

Justin just realized how brave she was being.  He pulled her close, “Oh, Tay, she is on a lot of medicine so she slept all day.  When I left the tests weren’t in yet but your dad was with her and John and Tony are there so he isn’t alone.

Taylor sniffled, “I’m glad Daddy isn’t there alone.  Grandpa, are you telling me everything?”

“Honey, I am telling you everything the doctor knew for sure. Do you  know where Trent is?”

He was going to try to get Tallia’s room back in order before bedtime. As if on cue, Gage walked in with Tally.  Without a word he handed Tally over to his grandpa and sprinted up the steps and disappeared down the hall.  Justin would check on him later. Right now he snuggled a fussy Tally.

“Grandpa, she has been asking for Mommy and Daddy.  She actually liked Trenton this afternoon.  I think it was because he was a grown up.” As they talked Justin kept trying to appease Tally.  She didn’t want anything.  He tried feeding her anything but all she did was cry. He finally carried her upstairs.

“My room, Papa.  Mommy’s in my room,”  Justin’s heart nearly melted.

“No, honey, Mommy and Daddy aren’t here right now.”  Justin walked into her room and was glad to see everything was in order again.  Trent was just putting the last of the books on the shelf.  “Trent, thank you so much.  You are welcome to go or stay tonight.”

“I think it is safer if I stay.  The road was in bad shape when I came this morning.  Justin, how is Shelby? She’s going to be alright, isn’t she?”

“They were waiting for results but right now she’s paralized from the waist down.  There is a very good chance that is temporary.”

“Oh, god and Gus is there alone?”

“No, John and Tony went to be with him.”

“Thank god.  I will stay since you offered and in the morning maybe I will go check on him before I go home.”

“Trent, I want you to know how much we appreciate your help today.”

“What else would I do for Gus’ children.”

Tallia finally fell asleep and everyone decided to eat pizza in Brian’s room.   Gage ate quickly and moved up to his room and it wasn’t long before all of them were ready to go to bed.  Trenton stayed in the upstairs guest room while Justin took Tally’s monitor into the room with Brian and himself.  Justin was exhausted and had no trouble falling asleep with his head on Brian’s shoulder.


Danny and Elliott finally went home at midnight after being in the clinic since 3:00 a.m.  They had been thankful that Marissa had brought them food throughout the day.  It was mostly fruit and sandwiches but it was what they had needed to keep going.

On autopilot they undressed and got in the shower together.  Danny had noticed that Elliott had been very quiet and, although he was normally very calm under pressure, as the day had turned to night he had watched Elliott get frazzled and unsure.  He had asked Danny his opinion about simple procedures he normally would do without thought.  Danny knew he wasn’t leaving until the situation returned to normal but he didn’t think El’s behavior had anything to do with that.

“El, what’s bothering you?” Danny took a bar of soap and turned Elliott away from him so he could wash his back.  He kissed Elliott’s shoulder as his hand moved across his shoulders, leaving a trail of foam.  There was no response.  Danny’s hand slid across El’s ass and he let his finger follow the valley between his cheeks. This seemed to snap El pack to the present.  “El?”

“Oh….what?”

“What’s wrong, Elliott?”  Danny turned him so they were facing each other. He continued to rub the soap over El’s body.

“Just a long day,” he replied, not making eye contact.

“No, El,” Danny brought his lips against his husband’s, “please, don’t.  Why can’t you just be honest with me?  Why do you think you have to hide things from me?” He said softly as he put the bar of soap down and stepping even closer he dropped his head on El’s shoulder.

Elliott put his arms around Danny’s waist and pulled him close.  “I thought you were leaving tonight.”

“El, my leaving has nothing to do with your behavior today.  When you asked me if you should use staples or stitches on that leg today, I knew you were not yourself.”

“Danny, can we call your dads when we are done and see if Hannah has been located?”

“Sure, but you’re changing the subject. Dad said he would call….”

“Danny, can we call now?”

Danny saw a look he had never seen on Elliott’s face.  “Sure, El.” Danny quickly ran the soap over himself and then they stepped out of the shower. He wasn’t sure what was going on but he was concerned something  had happened to El that had caused him to snap.  Had the earthquake caused some kind of PTSD?

Once they had dried off, Danny slipped an arm around Elliott’s waist and guided him to the bed and they sat down.  Using the satellite phone Dan required him to keep, Danny called his Dad’s satellite phone. By now it was almost 1:00 am but Marcus answered on the first ring.  “Hello?” Then anxiety in his voice could be felt on the other end.

“Hey, Marcus, is there any word?”

“Oh, Danny, it is so good to hear your voice but no, Dan has been trying to locate them all day.”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t come over today.  We worked about 21 hours today.  I will try to get there tomorrow. Is there any word?”

“Danny, why don’t you talk to Dan.  He has more details.  I love you, Danny.”  Marcus sounded like Elliott looked, in some kind of daze.

“Junior, are you finally home?”

“Ya, Dad.  We are getting ready to go to bed and catch a few hours before going back to the clinic in the morning but El, well we wanted to check on Hannah.  Have you heard anything?”

“From what I have found out, it appears that the family didn’t come home after the play.  They must have stayed in San Francisco so I am just trying to track them down in a hotel in that area but with most phone lines not working it isn’t easy.  I did get ahold of a man I know in that area who is going to go look for me tomorrow.  I know you probably can’t answer me but is there something wrong over there?”

“I’m not sure, but we are good.  We love you both and please call if you hear anything!”

“Call if you need anything.  I won’t be sleeping until your sister gets home.”

“Love you, Dad.  I hope to get there tomorrow.”

Elliott looked at Danny with an expression of fear, “Nothing?”

“No, El, but Dad has a couple leads that will get checked out tomorrow. Now,” Danny placed a hand on his cheek and kissed him, “lay down and let’s get some sleep.” He guided Elliott to a lying position and walked to the other side of the bed and laid down himself.  

Elliott reached over and took Danny’s hand, “Please don’t leave me, Danny.  I am not sure I could survive that right now. With Hannah missing, I just couldn’t….”

“Will you tell me….” Danny reached for El and pulled him into his arms,.”why do I think this has to do with your refusal to talk about children?”

“Danny, tomorrow.  We can talk tomorrow.”  The exhaustion was obvious in Elliott’s voice.

“You’re right, but soon, El.  Soon.”


Tammy called Brinn early the next morning.  She was so glad many of the cell towers were back up and running today.  “Tammy, I am glad to hear your voice.  Zach won’t let me out of this bed except to pee and I am going crazy.  I need to see my Dad.”

“I heard he was a little banged up but lucky to have escaped any lasting injuries.  But I am calling to talk to you about you and that baby.”

“I am completely fine, Tammy.  I didn’t tell Zach but I took another pregnancy test today and I am still pregnant.  I haven’t had any cramps for over 24 hours.  I am fine.”

“Brinn, i know you aren’t going to do anything to jeopardize this pregnancy.  Take it easy but I think it would do you and Juss good to go to Gus and Shelby’s house.   I am sure Tally and Justice need each other, too.  Any normalcy is good for them.”

“Thanks, Tammy.  I will be careful, of course.”

“Well, I better get going.  I said I would take the first shift at the clinic.  Danny and Elliott were there nearly 24 hours straight yesterday.”

“How are they doing, Tammy? Last I talked to Danny, he was ready to leave Elliott.  I told him he could use Stone House if he needed a place.”

“Well, I am guessing he will postpone that until they find Hannah and the world gets back to normal.”

“Hannah is missing? How?”

“She had taken a trip to San Francisco  with a friend’s family.  They were supposed to come home late so Hannah was just going to stay with them.  No one has heard from any of them.  Everyone is hoping they just stayed overnight and are safe but ….”

“Oh, I need to talk to Danny and Uncle Dan.  They must be worried sick.”

“Brinn, just remember you don’t need any more stress.  Dan is the best person I know to take care of this.”

“Ok, you’re right but I just can’t not be concerned.”  The talked another minute and then Tammy said goodbye and Brinn went to find her husband and daughter.  “Well, Tammy said I could go if I behaved.” Brinn kissed Zach and Juss.

“Mommy you always behave.” Justice smiled up at her daughter.  

“Well, I for one am glad she doesn’t always behave,” Zach smiled as he ran a hand over her shapely ass. Brinn turned to give him a long kiss.  Her hand slid down the front of his pants having him catch his breath. Zach growled low in his throat. “Remember that later.” Zach said as he bit her neck lightly.

Brinn stepped back a bit, “Miss Jess, would you like to go play with Tally today?”

“Really? I get to play with my friend?” She stopped for a second and then said, “Mommy, are you going to stay there, too?”

“I am.  I am hoping your daddy will come with us, too.”

“Ok, then I will go.  I just don’t like those quakes.”

Zach lifted her out of her chair and kissed her, holding her tight.  “You are going to be with Mommy or me until things get back to normal, Juss.  Mommy and Daddy won’t leave you alone but right now Tally’s mommy and daddy are not home so she could use her best friend.”

“Daddy, put me down please.  I will go dress.” Zach kissed her once more and set her down. 

Zach looked at Brinn, “You go get dressed, too.  We had a couple dozen muffins that George put in our freezer.  I took them out.  I didn’t know what they had over there and I was sure they could use something like this.” 

Justin had laid awake next to Brian for quite sometime before slipping out without waking him.  He went upstairs and rummaged in Gus’ closet and found some clean clothes.  After a quick shower, he dressed and went to the kitchen to find Trent drinking a cup of coffee. “Good morning,” he said as he stuck another mug under the machine and pressed start.  “How is Brian this morning?”

“He is sleeping now.  He had a restless night.  He is in more pain than he would ever admit. Are you going to the hospital?”

“I hope to if I can use one of your cars.  I rode my motorcycle yesterday morning.”  Trenton stated as he handed a cup of coffee to Justin.

“Oh, sure.  I left my keys in my SUV out there.  It has an almost full tank.  Gus has the habit of letting his tank run low.”

Trent smiled at Justin, “Yes, I have learned that.  Thank you.”

“Trent, thank you for everything you did for the kids yesterday. Gus will probably need you.  He texted that he and Shelby would be meeting with the doctor first thing this morning.”

“If you want to go, I’ll stay….”

“No, Trent, he might prefer you there today.” Justin hugged Trenton.  Trent held on tight for a moment.  “He is going to need you more than ever, and I don’t mean as a lover.  He will need his best friend.”

“You could make this really awkward for me but your family has made me feel, well, welcome.”

“Trenton, you are welcome.”

“Mommy,” Tallia called from her room.  “Come get me, Mommy.”  Justin looked at Trent.  “Have Gus call me after…” Justin headed to the steps.

“I will.  Thanks for the ride.”

Before Justin got downstairs with a very fussy Tally,  Brinn walked in carrying a basket and Zach followed with Juss.  “Tally, I’m here,” Juss called out to her best friend.

“Oh, Juss, put me down please,” a now smiling Tally said to Justin.  He did as she requested and he smiled as his granddaughters hugged.

“You have perfect timing!  I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with her and I really need to go check on Brian. And the older kids…. I haven’t seen them yet.”

Brinn hugged her Daddy.  “I will check on the big kids.  Zach, you got these two and Daddy, spend as much time with Dad as you need to. We caught Trent so we know he is on his way to be with Gus.”

Justin entered the room quietly, not wanting to wake Brian. Brian slowly turned over. “I didn’t want to wake you.”

“You didn’t. The pain woke me up a few minutes ago.  Fuck, I wish my son had a pharmacologist.”

Justin walked over and sat on the edge of the bed.  He kissed Brian, who took it deeper than Justin expected. When they separated he said, “Brinn is here.  She may have something here or at her house.  Or she can get Danny or Tammy to come by.”

“I tried Tammy.  She was going to see if Marissa could bring something.  If only I could sleep.  I am sure you didn’t sleep much last night either and it wasn’t for a pleasurable reason.  I realized I never asked.  Molly and Tyler, everything ok over there. I guess my first thought was of the house but then the three of them, too.”

“Good on both fronts, fortunately.  Jenna was actually with me when the quake hit. If nothing else this shows really good for Gus’.  All the houses he has built have minor damage.”  Justin kissed Brian once more, “Let me get you some breakfast.  And coffee?”

“Oh, yes, lots of coffee.”


When Trenton arrived at the hospital Gus was just walking up. They hugged before saying a word.  “You look like you freshened up.” Trenton commented as they walked in.

“Ya, the doctor assured me that Shelly would sleep through the night so I went to John and Tony’s since they are closer.  I just showered and pulled on something clean.  I must look….”

“Gus,” Trent ran his fingers through his hair, “You always look gorgeous.”

“Trenton, I have to go to Shelby’s room and the doctor is going to ….”

“I’ll wait for you out here.  You spend as much time as you need.  I’m here for you.”

“I’ll be out as soon as I can.”

“Oh, Gus, your dads want you to call or text as soon as you have more.”

Gus came back for one more long kiss and then rushed down the hall to the patient rooms.


Danny woke up around 8:00 and looked over at Elliott.  He had talked in his sleep half the night.  He called out for someone named Catherine and he had mentioned the name Trista.  He wondered if those were family members.  He was raised in California, maybe the quake brought up memories of childhood.    He had said something about a baby, too.  Was Elliott’s uncertainty yesterday tied to his unwillingness to have a child?  He couldn’t see how the two tied together but Tammy had texted the office was slow and they could deal with it so they weren’t needed until 1:00.  He had lots of time to make El tell him what this was all about.  If this cleared up both issues all the better.  

Danny couldn’t stop himself from reaching out and touching Elliott’s cheek. He rolled toward Danny reflexively.  Danny willingly moved into El’s arms.  He would miss him so  much.  And he wasn’t sure he would ever marry again but he knew he would find a child that needed him, just like he had needed a home when Dad and Marcus invited him in. Danny moved his body and pressed himself against Elliott.  He began to move slowly against him and it wasn’t long before Elliott’s arm came around him and pressed their pelvises together. 

“El, we need to talk about yesterday.  You looked petrified by the end of the day. You are an amazing doctor but you were afraid to put stitches in. “El, please  darling, please tell me what has you so scared?”  El ran his hair through Danny’s hair and pulled him in for a kiss but it was quick and Elliott spoke.

“Was there any word this morning? Have they heard anything about Hannah?”  

Danny stood up.  He walked across the room and pulled on some shorts and threw a pair to Elliott. “Get up. I’ll make coffee and you are going to tell me what is turning my life upside down!” Danny snapped. His nerves were frayed and he had slept very little with Elliott talking and tossing all night.   He would apologize later but they didn’t have all day and he couldn’t deal with this.  El was just showing how much he loved his sister so why was he refusing…...he wasn’t going to start having a one sided debate again in his head.

When Elliott came into the kitchen, he had pulled on the boxers and a T-Shirt. Danny took two mugs out of the cupboard and brought them to the table and then grabbed the coffee pot and after filling both cups sat it down in between them.  Danny dropped into a chair and then took a deep breath. “Elliott, you talked in your sleep last night.  You cried in your sleep most of the night.  Who are Catherine and Trista?  Why did they upset you so much?”

 

Elliott first showed surprise and then it was like all the energy drained from him.  He looked into Danny’s eyes and barely above a whisper he said, “Trista was my wife and Catherine is….was our daughter.”