- Text Size +

Chapter 8


“Good Morning, Mr. Kinney.” The doctor was waiting outside of Shelby’s door.  I was hoping we could talk in my office for a minute.

“Sure.”  Together they walked the short distance and the doctor waved him into a chair.  

“Mr.  Kinney,” the doctor continued.

“Gus, please.”

“Gus, the scan came back and Shelby has damage to her spinal cord.  At this point we  don’t know if it is permanent but we are optimistic that over time the swelling will go down and she will regain movement.  Whether she gains 100% or 50% we can’t tell but she is going to have peace and quiet and absolutely no stress on her back.  She will either need to stay here or she will need a nurse and a physical therapist.  Either way, I am guessing she will be stable enough with help to go home in three to four days.”

“She’s a fighter, doc.  I most worry about getting her to relax. We have three kids and they are her world.”

“I don’t know your family well but I have heard they are always willing to help. I will make sure you have the agency I recommend and if you need childcare….”

“I think we will be fine.  My brother in law and sister, not to mention my dads will help.”

“Well, if you don’t have any more questions, I really do need to talk to your wife and then get ready for surgery.”

After the doctor left Shelby and Gus, he got into bed with her making sure to move very little. “Gus, what are we going to do?”

“We are going to hire someone to help you physically and you know the family will help with the kids.  You and I will just move to the downstairs bedroom until you can walk up those steps yourself.”

“Gus, I feel so helpless.”

“Shelby, I just know you will get better but right now you need to rest so you can come home to the kids.”

“Gus, maybe you should go home to the kids now. I  know I will just,” she yawned, “sleep most of the day and the kids haven’t seen you.  I am sure they are missing their dad.”

“Shelby, I don’t want…”

“Go, Gus.  Come back late this afternoon and have dinner with me?”

“Shel, are you sure you’re alright?”

“Of course I am. Do you have a way home?”

“Yes, Trent is here.” He wasn’t sure if he should say it or not.

“Oh, Gus, I am so glad.  You need your best friend right now.”

“I’ll be back for dinner.” Gus kissed her and walked out the door.

The minute Shelby knew Gus was gone, the tears began to flow.  A man like Gus Kinney was not going to stick around a crippled woman.  She just knew it. No, that wasn’t true.  Gus wasn’t that kind of man but she wouldn’t make him stay if she…..She would ….  She couldn’t just leave. Tally was too young…..Shelby’s mind went crazy as the pain meds kicked in and she went to sleep.

While Trent waited for Gus he had talked to a nurse who had called Tammy.  Before Gus came back out he had a bottle of painkillers for Brian.

By the time Gus walked out to the waiting room, Trenton was waiting with open arms.  They were in the vehicle before Trenton kissed Gus, “So what did the results show?”

“They think she will improve and hopefully regain full control of her legs but for now she has to have minimal movement and rest.” Gus looked at Trent, “I don’t know what I would do without you. Thank you, Pen.”

“Are we heading to your house?”

“Yes.  Is your car alright? You have Dad’s?”  Trenton pulled out into the traffic.

“I took my motorcycle yesterday when I came and I haven’t been back again.  After I drop you off, I’ll go home and get some clothes and hopefully the road is good enough for my car.”

“Motorcycle?  Did I know you have a motorcycle?”

“Well, it was Adam’s.  I sold mine right after…. It was his thing and I did it because he enjoyed it.  I just always kept it running.  I was so glad I had.” Trent reached for Gus’ hand and brought it to his mouth. “I was so scared!  I didn’t know….”

Gus pointed to a small turn off.  “Pen, can you pull over a minute?”

“Is something wrong?”

“Just pull over.”

Trenton pulled over and as soon as the car was in park, Gus undid his seatbelt and reached to undo Trent’s.  “Come here!” Gus reached over and as soon as Trent was close enough, Gus placed his hand behind Trent’s head pulling him close.  When their lips met, Gus took it deep.  His tongue explored Trent’s mouth as his free hand touched the side of his cheek.  When they separated, both needed more.  “God, Trent, I don’t know when we will be able to…. I have to tell the kids about their mom.  I have just so much going on right now.  And my dads’ house.  My foreman is coming to clear the spot at the end of the week.  I am going to have to help dad go through the rubble and salvage…. I don’t know if I can do this.” Gus began to tremble.  

Trent left the car and circled around.  After opening the passenger door, Trent pulled Gus into his arms.  He held him for a long time and let Gus calm down. He moved back just enough to see Gus’ face and he kissed him.  The gentleness Trent used heightened the closeness. When Trent finally took a step back.  “Gus, we better get you home.  Your kids…”

“Trent, I want….  I don’t know….”

“Gus, I don’t expect anything from you but I can tell you, I will be here for you.”  He walked around the vehicle and pulled out onto the road.  They talked the rest of the way home about their plans for the rest of the day.  Trenton said he would go home now and would try to be back before Gus went back to the hospital.  He had a feeling Brian would be hurting worse today than tomorrow and Justin might need some help with the kids.

As they walked into the house, Gus was overrun by all three kids. He scooped up Tallia and hugged the other two the best he could as they all talked at once.  Trenton saw Justin by the counter and he walked over.

“How is Shelby? I didn’t expect you back this soon.” Justin commented to Trenton.

“He is going back later this afternoon.  I think she needed time to absorb what they were told.”

“And what were they told?”

“She’s paralized from the waist down,” he said very softly, “but they expect her to regain at least some if not all of her motion.”

“Well, that at least sounds hopeful.”

From down the hall, Trenton heard Brian, “Sunshine!”

“Oh, I almost forgot,” he reached into his pocket, “I spoke to a couple people at the hospital and,” he handed Justin the pills.  “The nurse called Tammy and ordered these for Brian.”

Justin looked at the bottle and gave Trenton a big kiss, “I owe you so much right now,” Justin said as he moved down the hallway.

Zach walked up to Brinn, “Since there is more help here now, I am taking you home to rest.”

“Zach, I am fine.  I….” he kissed her as he put a hand on her stomach.  

“This little one needs some rest.  I hope Danny or Tammy stop by yet today.”

“Let me say goodbye to Gus.  Then I will go home.”


Justin walked into the bedroom he had shared with Brian.  “Fuck, it took you long enough.  Get me some whiskey.  I can’t take this pain anymore.”

“Calm down, Brian.   Gus and Trent just got back from the hospital and,” Justin held up the bottle, “Look what Trent got you.”  Justin looked at the bottle and shook one and then a second pill. He handed them to Brian who swallowed them dry and then extended his hand for the bottle. “Oh, no, darling.” Justin bent and kissed him.  “I gave you more than I was supposed to, already.” Justin lay down behind him and gently draped his arm over Brian’s naked waist. He gently kissed Brian’s shoulder blade. He spoke softly, “It scares the hell out of me to think what could have happened to you. I am so sorry, Brian.  I was so selfish.  I should have never been in town.  I should have been in bed with you.”

Brian’s groggy voice said, “So we both would be hurt?  Now, Sunshine, I love you but will you shut the fuck up.  You’re ruining the buzz.”

When Justin came back out he found Gus and the kids sitting on the sofa.  He stepped back but Gus said, “Dad, you can come in here.” Once he sat down, Taylor came and snuggled into the chair next to him.  “I was just telling the kids about their Mom.  The first of the news isn’t good. She has a spinal injury.  Right now she can’t feel anything below the waist.” Justin tightened his arms around Taylor and saw Gage’s lip begin to quiver.  His heart nearly broke when he saw his grandson gnawing  on his bottom lip so much like his grandpa. Gus noticed, too, and draped his arm around Gage’s shoulder while Tally, who didn’t understand, crawled off to the floor and began playing with some of her toys.

“The good news is, the doctor’s think she will get better.  It will just take time.  I’m going to go back and see her later.  I was thinking the two of you might like to come with me.”

“Oh, Dad, can we?”  Gage asked.

“Of course.  It will make your mom so happy.  Just remember we can’t stay long. Shelby is highly medicated but we hope in about four days she will get to come home.

Taylor curled against Justin as he kissed the top of her head.  “I’ll keep Tallia here with us.  Maybe tomorrow she can visit for a few minutes.  The older kids ran upstairs to change clothes.    Justin walked over to the sofa and sat next to Gus.  He gave his son a long hug.  “And how are you, Gussy?”

Gus clung to his dad, “I’m so scared.  What if?  And I have to find at home care through this agency and the kids…”

“If you like, I can look into getting a nurse lined up.  Now that your boyfriend got Brian painkillers, he won’t be much trouble.  And Gus, we will find some place to live before Shelby comes home.”

“Oh, Dad, you are so much help.  You aren’t…”

“I will be here as much as you want, but Shelby is going to need some space.  And Brian has some healing to do himself. And you know he is not a good patient. I am here for whatever you need and right now that is Grandpa duty.”

“Thanks, Dad.  Trenton will be back in a while.  He was going to go home and pack a few things and come back to help.   Tomorrow we need to dig through your place and see what we can salvage before my crew gets here.  Your house already has a crew ready to start building as soon as we can.”

“Gus, don’t worry….”

“My foreman is taking care of it all.  I trust him.  I already have the plans ready.  He will get the permits and start soon.  I will bring something home for dinner…..”

“Gus, you have plenty of food in your fridge.  How about Tally and I make a home cooked meal for all of you? It might make the kids feel some normalcy.”

“Thanks, Dad.  I love you.”

“Oh, Gussy, I love you so much.”  The men kissed and as they stood the kids came flying back into the room.


“Your what?”  Danny couldn’t quite absorb what  Elliott had just said. “Your wife and daughter? You didn’t think that was something you should have mentioned when we were getting married!  Are we even legally married?”  Danny took a deep breath as Elliott seemed to be breaking bone by bone inside his body as he sat across from Danny.  “I’m sorry, El,” Danny’s voice was soft now and he reached over and took his husband’s hand.  “I just never…. You have never mentioned a family of any kind.” Danny moved to a chair next to Elliott and put an arm around him.

“It was a long time ago.  We got married while we were still in high school.  I was sexually so confused but being gay wasn’t an option. I lived in a tiny town where that just wasn’t accepted. My best friend, Trista, and I went to prom together our junior year. We ate and we drank and then we danced and drank and then, we did what everyone expected us to do.  We drove up to the spot, spread out a blanket and I fucked her.   What we didn’t expect was that the condom would break and she’d  get pregnant.”  Elliott emptied his coffee cup and Danny refilled it.

“And you had a daughter?” Danny prompted.

“Yes.  But first, her parents insisted we get married so we got married in July.  I think my parents were just so surprised I liked girls that they didn’t cause trouble.  We moved in with her parents and then Catherine was born. She was so perfect.  She was the perfect baby. We finished high school and then, we moved into a small apartment.  It was never good. I mean we were best friends  like you and Brinn but soon Trista was tired of playing house with a man, no, boy who wasn’t interested in anything but our baby and taking summer classes to get a start on college.  She got a job at a coffee shop and soon, she was coming home later and later and then a week after our first anniversary, she didn’t come home.  I called her parents and found out she had stumbled in there about 3:00 am forgetting she didn’t live there.  She forgot she had a husband and daughter.”

Danny kissed Elliott’s cheek.  He wanted to say, ‘What happened to your daughter?’ but he knew El had to process this as it happened.  He wanted to ask why he hadn’t told him this years ago. “Please, Elliott, what happened?”

“Trista’s parents stole my daughter.  They insisted they could be better parents then I could be and my parents didn’t help me fight at all.  They figured I could just go off and live my life but I couldn’t just turn my back on my daughter.  I  loved her.  She was mine.  I knew she would be the only child I would ever have because I would never be with another woman.”  Elliott looked at Danny,  “I need to eat something.  I’m getting shaky.  I’ll make….”

“I’ll make some scrambled eggs and a tube of those cinnamon rolls that are so bad for us.” Danny stood and moved to the kitchen and Elliott followed.  It was like he didn’t want to be separated from him.  “The caramel or the cream cheese frosting?”

Elliott put his arms around Danny’s waist and kissed his neck.  His hand  rested on Danny’s stomach. He didn’t say anything.  It seemed as if he just needed to be in contact.  

While the rolls baked, Danny turned to face the man he loved.  All the sudden he looked like a young boy with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Danny just held him until the timer went off letting him know it was time to pull the rolls out and while they cooled for five minutes, he made scrambled eggs.  Once they sat by the table again,  Elliott ate the eggs quickly and then slowly unrolled the caramel roll and started talking again. 

“I saw Catherine as often as I could.  I went to college close by so I could see her.  They rarely would let me have her overnight.  One weekend they had a death in the family,”  he broke off an end of the sticky bread and popped it into his mouth.  “I was so excited.  It was just before her second birthday so I was going to throw a little party for her.  It was just going to be the two of us because by now I had come out to my parents and they weren’t talking to me.”   Elliott took another bite and by now Danny saw he was back there. “I loved her.  We played all day Saturday.  We had cake and ice cream and I read books to her. She said she loved her daddy and I tucked her into bed.” Tears began to run down his face.  “I said goodnight to her and I kissed her.  I went back several times because she called for daddy.  She wanted to sleep in my bed with me but I knew if she told her grandparents she slept with Daddy they would make it something sexual.  You know how us homos are.” 

Elliott reached for another roll even though the first one wasn’t gone.  “Finally, my little Cath fell asleep. I just wanted to snuggle her all night but because of those fucking assholes she was sleeping on a makeshift bed of sofa cushions.”  Danny started to reach for El but he moved out of reach.  Danny withdrew his hand and waited for Elliott to continue, “There had been a couple little tremors throughout the day, but nothing you don’t expect in California. All the quakes lately have been reminding me. I got in bed and fell asleep.  I woke up in the middle of the night and got up to check on Catherine,” he took another bite.

“I ….. I turned the hall light on so I could see into the living room but she appeared to be sound asleep.  I went back to bed and when I got up around 6:00  I went to get her so we could ‘nuggle’, one of her favorite things to do in the morning but when I touched her, I knew ….. She wasn’t breathing. It was obvious she had been dead for several hours.  My baby girl was gone and now Hannah’s gone and….”

Danny wrapped his arms around Elliott as his body was racked with sobs.  Danny had so many questions but right now El needed him present, not in the past.   It was ten  minutes before he could speak again.  “They wouldn’t let me go with her and I know she was dead.  But she was my daughter and I just wanted to hold her.  Instead I was taken to the police station.  I don’t know why.  She was perfect.  She wasn’t injured.  I kept thinking if only she had been sleeping with me.  Maybe I would have noticed something was going on. “

“Oh, Elliott,” Danny’s voice was filled with so many emotions.  “What happened?” he finally asked. 

“They found out she had been born with a heart defect.  It was something …. No one could have done anything about it.  Danny, they wouldn’t let me go to her funeral.  I never saw her again. I’m sorry I never told you.  I buried it so deep.  I was just 20 when this happened.  I had no family except her.  I just dove into school and ….  Do you think Tammy can handle the clinic? I want to go be with your dads.  You and I both know if they don’t hear from her soon….”

“Let me go check.  Why don’t you start the shower and I will be there in a couple minutes.”  Five minutes later Danny had talked to Tammy.  He gave her a quick rundown and she assured him she and the nurses could handle the load.  

“Danny, take care of Elliott.  I will hear the whole story when he’s ready.  Give him a hug for me.”

“On my way to do that right now. Thanks, Tammy.”  Danny walked to their room and found El standing outside the shower.  The water was on but he was still dressed and standing there.  Danny undressed and then pulled off Elliott’s shirt and then helped him step out of his shorts.  “Step under the water, El.” Dan guided him and put an arm around him to steady him.  Elliott dropped his head onto Danny’s shoulder and wrapped his arms around Danny.  “It’s alright, El.” Danny kept talking softly as he began to run a soapy sponge over his back.

“I’m sorry, Danny.  I am so sorry I kept it from you,” he mumbled.  As Danny reached up and put some shampoo in El’s hair and began to massage his scalp, Elliott pulled Danny tightly against him.  He wasn’t aroused.  He just needed the contact. Danny got the soap rinsed out and then just pulled Elliott close and held him. 

“El, we have things to talk through but not now.  Once Hannah gets home you and I will take some time. We can talk then.”

“You aren’t going to leave?”

“Elliott, I’m  here until we get this settled. And then I hope you and I can spend the rest of our lives just like this.” Danny kissed him, then.  It was long and demanding and by the time he backed off both men were ready for more. They touched and tantalized as they dried off and then they fell into bed. Danny pressed his chest on the bed and offered himself to El.  

Elliott sighed and he moved inward.


Dan had been on the phone for hours. He had been passed from one police station to another following a detour he thought they may have taken due to a closed road.  It came down to one small town that seemed to still be cut off.  “Marcus, I think I might have found her!  I mean, I have found a town that they said didn’t appear to be damaged but the roads around it have crumbled.”

“Oh, Darling, do you really think….” Marcus hadn’t slept since the earthquake.  He hadn’t eaten enough to live long. 

“Red, I have a helicopter taking me there.  It will be here in less than an hour.”

“I am going with you, Dan.  I have to…..’

“Marcus, there isn’t room for you.  I could only get a small news helicopter.  There would be room for Hannah but that is all.”

“Dan, I….. I can’t stay here alone.  I just can’t…..”

“You don’t have to, Marc,”  Justin walked in the door just as he said it. Marcus crossed the room to meet him.  The men hugged for a long time.  They hadn’t seen each other since the earthquake and the friends both just held on to each other.

“What about Brian?” Marcus finally said.

“Brian is doing better and it gives Taylor and Gage something to distract them from Shelby.”

Dan walked over and kissed Justin, “How is she doing?”

“Gus texted and said she seemed better today.  She will probably get to come home in a couple days.  I found a couple nurses who can assist us but Brian and I will be looking for some place to go.  We could go to a hotel or we could stay at Molly’s or Stone House.”

The conversation was interrupted by the sound of the helicopter.  “Thank you, Justin.” Dan pulled Marcus into his arms, “Red, I will call as soon as we land.” Justin stepped a distance away as Dan kissed Marcus, “I love you, Red.  We won’t stop looking until Hannah is back home with us.” Dan left the house as Justin walked over and put an arm around Marcus. 

“Marcus, let’s go clean up Hannah’s room.  Let’s wash her sheets and just get it ready for her to come home.”

“Justin, do you think she really is…. It’s been two days and no one has heard anything. What if my little girl…. I just don’t want to live if…”

“Don’t you dare say that.  Who would I complain to when Brian is driving me totally crazy.  I don’t know if Dan had a chance to tell you but Danny and Elliott are on their way here.”

“Danny is coming?” Marcus looked like a little boy.  “Yes, Marcus, he may be grown but your son needs you, too.”

Marcus and Justin embraced and then kissed.  “Does Dad know what you are up to?” Danny’s voice had the men separate.  He gave Justin a quick kiss on the cheek and then held on to Marcus.  “Did I just see a helicopter leaving?”

“Yes, your dad thinks he may have found her.”  

Danny heard a noise behind him and realized Elliott had slumped against the wall and Justin had already rushed over to him to help him stay on his feet.  He walked over and took El in his arms.  Danny looked at Justin who nodded, “Marcus, let’s go freshen up that room for your daughter to come home.” Justin squeezed Danny’s shoulder and walked away, sliding his arm around Marcus’ waist.

“Elliott, what can I do for you?  Are you hungry or can I get you some coffee?”

“Danny, I …. Can we lay down somewhere? I just want to lie next to you?”

“Yes, darling, of course.  Let’s go to the guest room.”  They started toward his old room.  “Go lay down, El, I will be there in a minute.” El walked in a haze while Danny stuck his head into his sister’s room.  He found Justin and Marcus there.  “I just wanted to let you know we will be in my room.  Please let us know when  you hear anything.”

“Danny, is there anything….”  Marcus started.

“Once Hannah is found we can talk.  Marcus, how are you holding up?”

“I need my girl home,” his lip started trembling as Justin walked over to his side.

“Danny, I’ve got him. You go take care of Elliott. We'll talk later.”


Brian had to pee.  He knew where Justin was but he was not going to have his granddaughter help him.  “Grandpa, what is it?”

“Taylor, can you see if Gage or Trenton can come here?”

“Can’t I help….”

“Taylor, I know none of us have ever been shy with you kids but I am not going to have you help me take a whiz and show you my junk.”

Taylor wrinkled her nose, “I’ll go find one of them.” She kissed his cheek and left the room.

A few minutes later there was a knock on the bedroom door.  “Grandpa, it’s me.”

“Come in, Gage.”

“Um, Taylor said you needed help.”

“Ya, I need to pee and I just can’t get up without help.”

“I’ll help, Grandpa.  I’m glad I can help.” 

Brian had seen very little of Gage since he had come here.  Gage helped pull him up and then Brian needed Gage to help him balance.  Gage turned, a bit embarrassed when Brian relieved himself, and then he helped Brian back to the bed.  “Gage, do you need to be doing something or can you go get each a soda and come talk to me for a while.  I’m lonely without your grandpa.”

Gage came back with two cans of soda and Brian patted the bed next to him.  Gage climbed over the bed and sat next to Brian, leaning against the headboard just like Brian.  “Gage, it is a little crazy around here isn’t it?”

He took a big swallow of his soda and nodded.

“Gage, you know if it wasn’t for you, I might not be here.”  Brian moved carefully and put an arm around Gage.  Gage leaned into him.  “You were so brave going into that mess all by yourself.” As Brian talked he looked down at Gage’s bare feet. One of his feet was red and slightly swollen.  “Gage, what happened to your foot?”  

“I stepped on something when I was looking for you.  It’s nothing.  Mom and you are hurt and Hannah’s still missing.  I can handle it.  It doesn’t hurt that much.”

“Shit, Gage, we need to have that looked at.  I think I heard Danny and Elliott were going to be at Dan’s.  I’ll call Justin and see.” Brian tightened his arm as much as he could. “Gage, I’m so proud to be your grandpa.”

“Is that because I’m a smartass?”

“That is at the top of the list. I love you, Gage.”

Gage carefully moved and kissed Brian.  “I love you, too, Grandpa.”  Brian texted Justin and Justin returned the text with a call.

“Bri, are you alright? Did something happen?  Are you in pain?” Justin rattled.

“No, Sunshine, it’s not me.  Our brave grandson stepped on something when he was rescuing me and his foot needs to be checked out.  Is Danny or Elliott free to….”

“Brian, Dan is on his way to check out a little mountain town, hoping Hannah is there.  Danny and Elliott have something going on but as soon as I get a chance I will try to send one or both of them over.”

“How is Marcus?”

“He’s hanging on.” Brian could hear a phone ring in the background or the call and heard Marcus say it’s Dan.  “I’ll call you as soon as we know anything.  You stay in bed.”

“I’m hoping that’s something to look forward to?”

“Like you could deal with that. Love you.  See you later.”  Justin hung up.


“Dan!  Did you find her?” Marcus almost shouted.

“I just landed.  I just wanted to let you know I’m here safe.  I call as soon as I know anything.”

“Hurry, Dan.  I need my girl.”

“I know, Red.  We all do.”  Dan got off the phone and saw a policeman walking over.  He approached him and shook his hand introducing himself.  “I hope you were expecting me.”

“Yes, sir.  Once I got a call that you were on your way I sent one of my men out to the hotel and I think….”

“DADDY!” Dan heard her before he saw her.  She came running from an open car door. The mother of her friend stood at the car. Dan ran to meet his daughter and swooped her up.  After many tears and kisses, Dan set her down and led her to a bench nearby. 

“Oh, Hannah, love, are you hurt at all?” he hugged her as she sat on his lap.

“No, Dad, we just got stuck here. All the roads are broke.”

Dan glanced up and saw the woman walking over from the car.  She smiled down at Dan, “Hi, Mr. Reed.”  Dan moved over so there was room for her to sit. “I hope we took good care of your daughter.  I am so sorry we couldn’t get her home. We were coming home from the theater and found a tree had blocked the road so we started following the detour.  Well, long story short, we got lost.  We had no cell service and since you weren’t expecting Hannah home we thought it would be safer for us to stay here for the night.  We had planned to call you in the morning but there has been no phone service here.”

“I don’t know how to thank you for taking care of Hannah.  Sweetheart, your daddy and I have been so worried so have your brothers.”

“I’m good, Dad.  I was scared but they,” she smiled at her friend’s mom, “took care of me.”

“Mr. Reed, your daughter is a great young lady.  Obviously, she was scared,” she reached over and squeezed Hannah’s hand, “all of us were, but she always said her dad would come and find her.”

Dan knew he had to call Marcus but didn’t want to be rude.  He quickly texted him as he talked to her, ‘Have her. She’s perfect. Will call soon.’

“Is there anything I can do for you and your family?  I’m afraid the helo only will hold the three of us.”

“No, we are fine.  We just got through to our friends and our house is fine.  We have been told the road home should be repaired by tomorrow. We will be fine until then.  Hannah, I better get back to everyone else.  I am glad your dad got here for you.”

Hannah got off her dad’s lap and hugged the woman.  “Thank you for being my mom for two days.”

“Oh, Hannah, I know you have two wonderful dads and a whole extended family but if you ever need a mom I’m here, with your dads’ permission, of course.”


Marcus read the text for about the twelfe time, “Hannah’s ok.  Why isn’t he calling?”

Justin smiled, “I am sure they have to get a few things straight. Would you like me to go get Danny and El?”

“Oh ya, I almost forgot.  There is obviously something going on with Elliott.” Marcus could finally focus more on his son-in-law. “

“I’ll be right back,” Justin went to Danny’s room and knocked on the door.  “Hey, guys, Hannah has been found and she is fine. Dan is going to call in a few minutes.”

Danny and El both began to cry, “Thanks, Justin. Tell Marcus we will be out soon.” Danny kissed Elliott as he heard Justin walk away.  “I knew we would find her.  El, you don’t have to worry about her anymore.  She will be home, safe soon.”

“Danny, you aren’t leaving, are you? Please, don’t leave me? I love you so much.  You are the only family I have.”

“Don’t worry.  I’m not going anywhere right now.  I don’t know why you didn’t tell me all this earlier.  Never mind. Now is not the time to get into that.  Are you good to go out to Marcus?”

“I am. I’m much better.  Just laying here with you has made me feel much better.”

“Well, I always love laying with you.  Let’s go talk to Marcus.”

When Danny walked out Marcus was answering the phone.  “Dan, do you have her?”

“Hi Daddy,” Danny and Justin each grabbed one of Marcus’ arms.  “Daddy?”

“Oh, Hannah, baby, oh I am so happy to hear your voice!  Are you hurt? Where have you been?”

“Daddy, Dad says we have to leave now.  I love you, Daddy.  Dad says we should be back in a little over an hour.”

“Oh, I can’t wait to see you, honey.” 

“Me too, Daddy!”

“She sounds so good.  She sounds totally normal.  My girl will be home for dinner!”   

Danny and Elliott kissed and hugged Marcus.

“Well, you better start cooking,” Justin smiled at his friend.  “Need to borrow one or both of these men.”

“Is it Brian?” Danny asked, serious now.

“Well, he could use a look but it is Gage.  He stepped on something when he was looking for Brian.  He never said anything about it but Brian noticed it today.”

Danny looked at Marcus, “Are you alright if we both leave?”

“Sure, my girl is coming home!”  Marcus was so ecstatic his feet barely touched the ground.’

“We’ll be back soon,” El said as he hugged Marcus.  “I am so happy for you, Marcus.” Danny reached for Elliott’s hand and led him out of the house.

Danny and Elliott followed Justin to Gus’ house.  “Thanks, guys.  Hopefully this won’t take long because I know  Brinn is expecting you, too.”  Elliott had his doctor’s bag with him. 

As they walked in,Justin saw Taylor and asked where her brother was..  “Gage is still in with Grandpa.”

“Well, gentlemen, it sounds like you have two patients in one bed.” Justin led the to the back bedroom.  “Hey, Tay, can you call Brinn and tell her Danny and El will be there in about 20 minutes.”

“Ok, Grandpa.” 

Justin walked in to find Brian and Gage sleeping in each other’s arms. Justin walked across the room and kissed Brian.  “I have doctors for both of you.” He reached over and touched Gage’s cheek. “Hey, big guy.  Glad to see you are still protecting your grandpa.” Elliott did a quick look at Brian’s ribs and the painkiller he was on and declared him healing.

“El, babe, can you come look at this for me.”  Justin circled around so he could sit at Gage’s side.  Danny and Elliott both sat  at the end of the bed so they could look at the sole of Gage’s foot  They spoke very softly and then Danny moved up and sat on the edge of the bed and took Gage’s hand, “Well, Gage, we both think there is something in your foot.  You must be a real tough guy to go a couple days without complaining at all.  Elliott is going to have to take it out.  Since he doesn’t need my help because he is one of the best doctors in the world, I am going to go check out your aunt and your new cousin.”

“Danny, it’s going to hurt, isn’t it?”

“I am afraid it is, Gage.  The bottom of the foot is tough but tender.  We are going to give you one of your grandpa’s pills,” Danny went and got one and had Gage swallow it.   “In about ten minutes you will be sleepy and then he will take care of your foot.  If your grandpa,” Danny made eye contact with Justin, “Wants to sit behind you, that might be comfortable for you, plus you know your grandpa is a great hugger.”  Danny kissed Elliott and whispered, “Love you.  I’ll be back soon.”

When it was obvious the med had taken hold of Gage, Elliott spoke, “Ok, I am going to give you some shots.  I promise this is the only part that is going to hurt.  Once they make your foot numb you won’t feel a thing.” Justin had slipped behind Gage and held him tightly.   He felt Gage go very stiff and then  whimper as Elliott gave him several shots.  Tears slowly rolled down his cheeks.  Brian held his hand and kissed his cheeks, moving carefully to protect his ribs and then the pain was over and Elliott worked as quick as he could to locate the small piece of metal that was deep in his foot.  He quickly cleaned it out and then bandaged it up.  “Well, you were much braver than most grown men and women. Why don’t you stay here with Brian while I give Justin some instructions.  Oh, before I leave,  do you have any idea when you had a tetanus shot?”

“Gage, didn’t you have a shot with your physical to play soccer this year?”

“Ya and it hurt like hell.”

“Well, I would say he is good on that point.” Justin said.  Elliott and Justin walked out together.

“Is he going to be ok?” Justin asked.

“It doesn’t appear to have done any real damage.  I will give you some antibiotics for him.  I left the wound open because it lessens the chance of infection.  I will check on him tomorrow or the next day and see if it is healing.”


Danny pulled up to Brinn’s and she walked out with Juss at her side, “Uncle Danny!” Juss reached up to him and he picked her up. 

“Well, beautiful, are you going to marry me yet?”  Danny asked her as he kissed her cheek.”

Juss giggled, “I’m too little and you are married to Uncle El.”

“Well, I guess those are both good reasons.” He looked over at Brinn and kissed her cheek.  “You look good,” he set Juss down, “Is your daddy around?”

“I’m right here,” Zach came walking out of the laundry room. “Hey, Justice, why don’t you come help me while Uncle Danny checks Mommy and the Baby over.”

“Ok, Daddy. Bye, Uncle Danny.”

“You tell me when you are ready to marry me and I will get rid of Elliott.” He heard her giggle all the way to the other room. Brinn put her arm around Danny’s waist.  “Let’s go check you out.”

Danny listened to Brinn’s heartbeat and then the baby’s.  He smiled.  “Sounds like both of you are doing well.  You both have strong heartbeats. As long as you aren’t spotting you are good to go.  I will report to Tammy and in about 3-4 weeks we will have you come in for an ultrasound.  We don’t want another premature birth do we?”

“Thanks for stopping but I think you better head home so you are there when Hannah arrives.  Oh, Danny, you and Elliott, how are you both?”

“Brinn, we’ll talk soon.  It is too long a story to tell you  know but short but sweet….Elliott was married in high school and had a daughter who died while he was with her even though it was a medical condition and nothing anyone could have stopped and that’s why he didn’t think he could be a father again. Bye, Tia Brinn.  See you soon.”

“Danny Reed, I am going to….You can’t just leave….”

“Good bye, Brinn.”  Danny rushed out and drove off.  He stopped and picked up Elliott and as they neared Dan and Marcus’ house they heard the helicopter and saw it coming into sight.  Marcus ran out of the door and down the steps. He stood between El and Danny, trembling with excitement.  

As the helicopter landed, the door opened and Dan got out. As the young redhead was lifted out of the helicopter, Marcus dropped to his knees where he stood and she came running full speed into her daddy’s arms.  Nothing was said for several minutes as the helicopter lifted off and Dan walked over to his family.  They all circled around Hannah as she hugged Danny and then Elliott.  El picked her up and carried her into the house. They enjoyed  a meal as Hannah rattled on and on about her adventure.  She was never really scared.  She just missed her dads.  

“Oh, Hannah Banana, Elliott and I were worried about you.”  

Hannah walked over to them and put her arms around both of them, “I know it isn’t my business but you two aren’t  going to divorce are you? You really can’t because you two were made to be married and, Elliott, I really think you should have your own kids.  You both would be the best dads.”

“Hannah,” Elliott said softly, “Danny and I need a little time to talk through some stuff but, I  will always love your whole family.  You are the only family I have.”

“El, I love you. You are always part of my family, too.”

The family all made ice cream sundaes and then Hannah started to look drowsy.  “I think it is time to get you to bed, darling. How would you like to take a bath in our big tub and then bedtime?”

Both Dan and Marcus walked up with her.  She turned around and looked down at her brothers, “Kiss me goodnight when I am in bed?”

“Of course.”

After her bath, she put on her favorite pajamas and Dan carried her to her room.  After her dads finished saying goodnight, Danny and Elliott slipped in and said goodnight before going to Danny’s room. “El, are you serious about thinking about having kids?”

“Danny, I have a lot to work through yet but I want to work through it.  I want to be a father again.  I want to have a child as amazing as Hannah.  I…..”

Danny began at Elliott’s mouth and began to work downward.  “Elliott James, I love every square inch of this amazing body, both physically and mentally, and I want to grow old with you and have our grandkids come over.  El, please, grow old with me.”

“Oh, Danny, I am not going anywhere.” Danny’s mouth traveled lower still and soon took Elliott into his mouth.   “Oh, god, no one has ever, ever made me feel like you do.” 

After Danny and Elliott made love they lay in each other’s arms and Elliott told him how brave Gage had been and when he looked at Brian and Justin’s faces they looked like they were in as much pain as the boy.  “How was your patient?”

“It went well.  Brinn looks good.  Her heartbeat was nice and strong.”

“And the baby? Everything alright  there?”

“The babies seem healthy, too.”

“Babies?”

“I heard two distinct  heartbeats.  Brinn and Zach are having twins!”

“Did you tell her?”

 

“No, I told her we would do an ultrasound in a few weeks and then we will tell them.”