- Text Size +

Chapter 13


“Danny, I have known you long enough that you have something big on your mind.”

“First we need to apologize for keeping a secret from the two of you but you have to know we did it for you.”  Danny said as he reached for Brinn’s hand.  Elliott put his arm around Danny’s waist but let him talk.

“Early on I could see that one baby was a bit smaller than the other one.  That’s one of the reasons I had Tammy do a couple of them. I wanted her opinion as well as I talked to El about it. Throughout the pregnancy both babies looked healthy, they just looked like they were at different gestational stages.”

“Danny, what are you trying to say?”  Zach broke in.

“Well, the little one you are holding in your arms is the child of you and Gus, Brinn. But when I did the procedure she was already two weeks pregnant with your child, Zach.”

Brinn and Zach both looked shocked.  Danny and Elliott gave them a moment before Elliott went on.  “Tammy, who will be here in a few minutes, ran several tests and one was a genetic test and she compared it to the DNA we have on file for Gus, Zach, and Brinn.  Remember a couple years ago, we took samples from all of you just to have it on record?”

Both Brinn and Zach nodded and then Zach started talking, “I am really the biological father of,” he looked down at the little boy in his arms. “Of this little boy?”

Danny and Elliott were nodding while Brinn and Zach both teared up, “Oh, Zach, I can’t believe this.  I am so happy.  Are you happy?”

“Oh, Lulu, I love them both but yes, these are two of the most precious boys ever!”

“Chase, you are so right.”

“Do you have names for them yet?” Danny asked.

“We do.  Zach is holding Zander and this little one,” she kissed his soft head, “ is Bradin.”

“Bradin and Zander.  I like it!” Danny kissed Brinn’s cheek and then Zach’s.  

“And would the two of you be Zander’s godfathers?”  Zach asked.

“Of course we will!  That’s an honor.”

Zach went on, “I am glad you didn’t tell us your suspicions.  I was very happy with our children but if you would have said something I would have had that little bit of disappointment if it wasn’t true.”

“We didn’t want to get your hopes up plus if there was a health issue…”

“There isn’t, is there?”

“No, Tammy assured us that he is completely healthy.”  They heard the doorbell.  “That is either Brian and Juss or Tammy.  We’ll give you a couple minutes before we show them in.” 


Justin went to the door and let Brian and Justice in.  He kissed Brian and then took Juss in his arms for a hug and kiss.  “Papa, do I have baby brothers?”

“You do, darling, and they are perfect.”

“May I see them?” Juss put one hand on each of Justin’s cheeks and pressed them together. Danny and Elliott came walking over to them, “Uncle Danny, may I see my brothers?”

“As soon as your Uncle Gus gets here.  Your mom and dad need just a minute right now.”


“Zach, I could not be happier.  You aren’t sorry that Gus and I….”

“Oh, no. I always hoped for a large family and this….is so perfect.  These two could not be any more special and have you really looked at these two and seen how beautiful they are?”

“I just hope we can handle this.  We are outnumbered now.”

“Zach, if we need more help, it isn’t a problem.  I have been thinking we could use someone.  Of course, I know your mom is coming to help us and that is great.  You know I love Camille and by the time she goes home we can get a nanny hired.” Zach kissed Brinn then realized he didn’t know which baby he wanted to look at.  He kept going back and forth to see both of them.  

When the knock came to the door, Brinn said softly, “Come in.” As she did so she handed Zach the second baby so she could hold Justice.  Brian carried her in and immediately brought her over to Brinn.

“Oh, Mommy, did you really have both of them in your tummy?”

“Yes, I did,” she opened her arms and Brian carefully sat her in Brinn’s lap. “Would you like to meet them?” Brinn said as Brian walked around the bed to Zach and took Braden from him. Gus looked from one baby to the other.  “Juss, your daddy is holding Zander, and your grandpa has Braden.”

“Zander and Braden,” Juss repeated. “Which one is older?”

“Braden was born first and about ten minutes later Zander was born.”

“I’m so glad we can see the babies now. I love them both.”

Brinn kissed her daughter and then smiled at her big brother, “Dad, Daddy,  we have something to tell you,” she looked down at Justice and then looked at Danny, “Juss, sweetheart, would you mind going out with your Uncle Danny and Elliott and show them where all the good food from Uncle George is? I’m getting hungry and I will need all my energy to feed these two.  Then you can come help me feed them, alright?”

“Sure, Mommy.” She slipped off the bed. Gus opened the door and as she walked out, Juss said, “Uncle Danny, Mommy doesn’t want me to hear something but I can show you where the food is.”  All the adults smiled and watched the little girl walk out the door and Gus shut it again.

Now Brinn stood and walked over to the small sofa, sitting down.   Dad, Daddy, will you come sit by me.” Brian was still holding Braden and Brinn took him from her dad, laying him along her legs so his beautiful face was visible to all of them.  Brinn began to cry silently.

“Brinn, what is it, honey?” Justin kissed her cheek and put an arm around her shoulders. 

“Daddy, mostly it is because of hormones but I, no we, have something to tell you.” She took a deep breath and continued, “When Zach and I decided to have another child we started thinking about the donor.  We thought about one of Zach’s brothers and George, but knowing this would be my last child, I had an idea and Zach agreed and so did Gus.”

“Um, you asked your brother about who should be your baby’s fath….”  Brian stopped mid sentence.  

“Yes, Dad, I did because it was a big decision for him and Shelby also. So with Danny’s help, I would like you to introduce you to your biological grandson. He is both of yours.  He is the biological grandchild you never thought you could have.”

Brian and Justin were almost too shocked to speak. Brinn handed the baby over to Justin and slipped out from between them.  Justin already had tears rolling down her cheeks and Brian moved over to Justin and kissed him and kissed the baby.  

Gus walked over to Brinn and was going to hand Zander over to Brian but Brinn stopped him.   “We have one more surprise.  This was a surprise to us also but, Gus and Dads, today after the babies were born Danny, Elliott and Tammy had a surprise of their own.  The reason Zander is so much bigger than Braden is because I was already pregnant when Danny did the procedure and Zander is Zach’s biological son.”

All three men were speechless and then Gus cheered softly, and patted Zach on the back with his free hand, “That is amazing news!”

“I can’t even….” Justin tried to explain how he felt.  “Braden is actually our grandson and Zach was able to father a child after being told he could never do so”

Now everyone stood and hugged and  Brian, Justin, and Gus looked at the boys together again. “Oh, and Pops and Dad,” Gus state,  “obviously Shel knows and I will tell Gage and Taylor in the next couple days but we decided the two little girls aren’t quite ready to figure all this out. In a couple years we will explain it to them.”

“Of course. I am having a hard time taking it all in.  They wouldn’t have the ability to process this.” Justin looked at Brian and kissed him. “I can’t believe we, he….” Brian wrapped his arms around his husband and pulled him close and the two men both cried.  These amazing children of theirs got them the one thing they couldn’t give each other. Gus and Zach each picked up a baby and with Brinn left Brian and Justin alone.

After holding each other for some time, Justin said, “Let’s hope that poor little boy gets the best of both of us and not the worst or he is going to be one screwed up kid.”

“Well, we know one thing, he will be beautiful!” Brian’s tongue opened Justin’s mouth and as their tongues danced and enticed.  “I want you, Sunshine, I want to feel you wrapped around me.”

“Soon.  Let’s have some lunch and then we will take the princess home for a nap.  While she is sleeping we should have plenty of time to get wrapped around each other.”

Danny and Elliott, with the help of Justice, made lunch for everyone. As they finished eating, the doctors went to get some sleep next door while Brinn and Zach went back to the bedroom with Justice so Brinn could feed the boys and Gus, Brian and Justin cleaned up the kitchen.  “Gus, what you and Brinn did…” Justin hugged his son and kissed him. 

“Did you have any hesitation?” Brian him.  “I mean you are not blood related and it’s not like you actually…”

“Whew, Pops, that’s gross!  I still want to hit Zach when I realize he sleeps with her. I just filled a cup, just like you did for me so I guess that’s a family tradition. But seriously, we both wanted to do it for you.  She wanted a baby and there is no one we love more. And the fact they have Zander, too, was just a bonus.”

Brian saw Justin’s emotions bubbling over as he pulled him close.  He kissed him once and then kept an arm around him as they waited for Juss.  Gus left saying he might stop back a little later with the family but he would call ahead in case they wanted to be alone.  Tammy had delayed her arrival realizing it was a family moment so she said she would stop by a little later, too.

Soon Brian and Justin left with Justice.  They brought her back to the house and this time put her down for a nap in the bedroom decorated for the granddaughters.  There were twin beds on one end of the room for Juss and Tally and in the far back corner there was a gauzy curtain and behind that was a beautifully four poster bed especially for Taylor, not that she would stay often, but they wanted her to feel welcome. Juss lay on the bed with Justin and he read her a story before leaving her in the new room for a nap.  

As Justin walked into the hall arms wrapped around him from behind. One arm came around his shoulders and he waited for Brian’s other large hand to rest on his cock.  He rested against him as Brian’s mouth roamed his neck.  Brian maneuvered them both toward their bedroom.  It was at the end of the hall.  One wall was glass and the sections could be slid to one side or the other creating an open space out to the pool. There was a lock and code pad far above the ground so there was no chance of the little one opening it and if the room sensed a little one in the room the doors automatically closed.  The bed stood in the center of the room and faced the outside.  There were mountains visible in the distance as they undressed and got in bed. 

Soon Brian was buried deep in Justin and when they both had come down from the climax, Brian softly said, “We have a grandchild that is part you and part me. I never thought that could happen but our brilliant, beautiful children figured it out for us.”

“I can’t wait to see what he and his brother get up to.” Justin smiled as he began to slowly move as he felt Brian again get hard.”

“I love you.  I love our family.  I love our life.” Brian shouted as he came once more.”

Brinn was ready to sleep.  Shelby and the girls came to see the babies later in the afternoon but didn’t stay long.  Shelby promised to stop by in a couple days.  George stopped by with a cooler full of food.  He loaded it all into the freezer and refrigerator. When he heard that one of the babies was not from the donor but Zach’s he hugged his friend.  “Zach, you have been one of the best fathers I have ever seen since the day Justice was born so if anyone deserves this it is you.”

“Thanks, George.  I think I am still in awe.  I’m not sure it has sunk in yet.  But did you see how beautiful both of my boys are.  Braden and Zander are so perfect.”  


Later that night after Tally had fallen asleep talking about Juss’ little brothers, Gus called both Gage and Taylor into the master bedroom. Shelby sat by Gage on the sofa while Taylor squeezed next to her daddy in the overstuffed chair. Shelby smiled at Gus showing her support.

“Taylor, Gage, I have something to tell you but this is not to be shared with your little sister or anyone outside of the family,”  Gus started.

“I want you both to know your dad and I thought this through and both agreed.”

“Mom, you two aren’t getting….” Taylor said with a shake in her voice.

“Oh no, honey, nothing like that!” Gus wrapped his arms around his eldest child. “About ten months ago your aunt Brinn came to me with an idea.  She and Zach wanted another child and wouldn’t it be wonderful if your grandpas could both share blood with one of their grandchildren.  Well, since Brinn and I aren’t blood related I became their donor for Braden.”

Taylor looked at her dad, “You are really Braden’s father?”

“No, Taylor, your uncle Zach is Braden’s father in every way but blood.”

Gage looked over at his dad.  You said Braden.  What about Zander?”

“Well,” Shelby continued, “It was a miracle but Zach is the father of Zander.  He had been told that he could never father children but they did the tests and Zach definitely did father a child.”

“This doesn’t make sense at all.  How can a woman have two children at the same time but from different  fathers? Isn’t this family fucked up enough?”

“Gage Kinney, don’t talk like….”

“Talk like what? Someone from a normal family? Someone who just wants …”  He stopped talking and tried to stand but Shelby held on to him.

“Gage, you have an amazing family.  They love each other and are always there for each other.  What more could you want?”

“Honestly, Mom?  I want parents who … Never mind.  I’m glad you are so much better, Mom.”

“Gage, this has nothing to do with you,” Gus said.  “This is about …”

Gage stood and this time Shelby didn’t stop him, “I know, Dad.  This had nothing to do with me.  Nothing in this family does.” Gage rushed out.

Gus started to stand but Shelby stopped him.  “Give him a little time.  This is a lot.  You can talk to him in the morning.  You can drive him to school. Taylor, do you have any questions?”

“So is Braden my brother or my cousin?”

“Braden is Brinn and Zach’s son. I have all the children I need,” Gus kissed his daughter.

“That’s what I thought.  I just wanted to be sure.  I think it is really cool what you did for Aunt Brinn and Uncle Zach but even cooler for my grandpas.”

Taylor kissed Gus’ cheek and then walked over to her mom and kissed her, too.  “Mom, is there anything you need done before I go to finish my homework?”

“No, sweetheart.  You need some time for yourself, to be with friends.”

“Mom, it’s part of being a family.” Taylor walked out of the room.  

Gus’ helped Shelby get up and he kissed her, “We have really special kids.  Do you think Gage…”

“You know Gage always has to process things in his own time.  You can talk to him in the morning.”


Gage could not believe what his father had told him and his mom had gone along with it.  Sure, they didn’t know it would be a boy but why did his dad think he needed another kid.  He knew his mom and dad had said something about his grandpas but he had quit listening by then.  As soon as he could go to his room he had done so and now he sat on his bed brooding.  Obviously, he wasn’t valued in this family.  His dad actually went out and created another son.  Gage got up and grabbed his book bag off the hook it was on.  He took out all his books and filled it with a couple pairs of jeans, a pair of shorts, some T-shirts, and a toothbrush because he knew his mom would be mad if he didn’t take it.  

Once Gage had his clothes packed, he stuck his computer into the side and then he sat back and waited. He kept debating whether he should leave a note.  He picked up one of his notebooks and started writing.

            “Mom and Dad,

I need time to think and it is obvious, you both have enough to do without me around. Not sure where I’ll go but I will find someplace. I can take care of myself.  I’ve been doing it for months.

Gage” 

After reading the note over he ripped it out and stuffed it into his bag and tossed the notebook on the chair.  He had changed his mind.  They probably wouldn’t notice until they realized he hadn’t done his chores for the week.  He threw his phone charger in the bag and then looked at his phone.  He wasn’t sure where he was going.  He had calculated how far he could go on a tank of gas on the four-wheeler.  He knew he couldn’t take it on the road so he would have to use back paths. He figured out he could go maybe up to 80 miles on a tank of gas, but he wouldn’t push it.  He would say 60.  He figured he would head to the nearest city and that was San Francisco.  He tried to figure out who he knew that direction and he thought of Trenton.  His dad had taken him out there once.  He remembered seeing a couple building on that property.  He would go that far tonight and find a place to sleep for the day before going on.  Maybe he could go to the Lighthouse tomorrow and then he could make it the rest of the way to the city the next day.  That was a good plan.  Once he got to the city he could disappear pretty easy.

Gage dozed off and once the house had been completely quiet for half an hour, he left his room.  He knew he house was well soundproofed so his parents couldn’t hear anything accept what came through Tally’s baby monitor so he was very careful going past her room.  He tiptoed down the steps and then felt he was in the clear.  He rummaged through the fridge and grabbing a small cooler bag he filled it with cold cuts and a loaf of bread.  He looked at the carrot sticks and grapes and put them in the cooler.  He didn’t want his mom to worry about him not heating healthy.  He grabbed some tubes of potato chips because they wouldn’t get crushed and then he threw in some rice crispy bars for dessert.  He completed his stash with bottles of water and soda.  The bag wasn’t quite full so at the last minute he grabbed three bottles of wine.  He remembered to get what his grandpa liked to call picnic wine because it didn’t need a corkscrew.

Gage disarmed the alarm and with keys in his hand he left the house.  He pulled out his phone and armed the system again and then, after securing both his bags, he started the vehicle.  He was glad he had filled it up last time he used it. Peter had taught him that.  Maybe he could fly out to Pittsburgh and move in with Peter and Becca or just hide out there.  He remembered how many buildings were at Britin.

It was very slow going off road in the dark.  He had a good headlight but with no path to follow he could never open it up. It didn’t help that within ten minutes it started pouring. By the time he got to Trent’s, thanks to GPS on his phone, he was very cold and very tired.  He hid his machine away from the house and decided he would go sneak a blanket off the porch.  He was sure he could find one there. Trenton wouldn’t mind if he took one and he would pay him back later.  Gage walked up and saw the comfortable looking swinging bed and decided he would lay down for just a few minutes before taking the blanket and going to one of the outbuildings.


Gus checked to make sure Taylor was up and then went on to Gage’s room.  He knocked on the door but there was no answer, “Gage, I’m coming in.  I know you are pissed at me but…” Gus stopped talking.  This wasn’t right.  Gage’s bed hadn’t been slept in and all his school books were in the chair but his backpack was nowhere to be seen.   “Tay!  Taylor! Come here!”

“What is it, Daddy?” Taylor came into Gage’s room and looked around.  “Where’s Gage?”

“Did you hear anything?  Do you have any idea when your brother left?”

“No, Daddy.  I didn’t see him after he was unreasonable and left your room.”

“Taylor, will you help your mom get Tally downstairs.  I ….”

“Go, Daddy.  I have this.”

Ten minutes later, Brian and Dan were at the house. “He took one of the four wheelers.  I am sure it was full.” Gus was frantic, “Dan will you look at his room.  Maybe you can see something I didn’t.”

“Of course, Gus.” As they headed into the house and upstairs, “ Do you have any idea why he left?”

Gus looked at Brian and then he turned to Dan, “I told Taylor and Gage that I was the donor for Braden.” Dan hid his shock well. He knew the twins had been born but he hadn’t heard that detail but right now was not the time to question this but he had already calculated what that meant. 

“Oh, and that didn’t sit well?”

“Gage has had a tough year, we all have but it affected Gage more somehow.”

Dan started looking around the room.  “Did he take anything with him?”

“Taylor says there are probably a couple pairs of jeans and shirts gone.”

“How about food?”

“I’ll have Shelby check.” 

As Gus left the room, Dan looked at  Brian, “Braden.  He’s yours and Sunshine’s?”  Brian nodded as Gus walked in the door.

“Ya, Shelby said there is quite a bit of food gone.”

“Ok, give me fifteen minutes in here alone.  Then we will make a plan.”  Brian led Gus out of the room and down to the kitchen. 

Gus wrapped his arms around Shelby as she sat on a stool.  Taylor walked over to her grandfather and Brian pulled her close.  “Grandpa, why was Gage so mad? I don’t understand. Dad and Aunt Brinn just wanted to make you and  Grandpa happy.”

Brian kissed the top of her head, “Taylor, he is younger and he’s a boy.  He just doesn’t think like you.”

“Grandpa, what if we can’t find him?” Taylor started crying into Brian’s chest.  

Dan came down the steps with a notebook, “It looks like Gage did write a note but then took it with him because it’s not in the room.”  He had done a pencil rubbing of the notebook page and read it to Gus and Shelby.  “Right now I think we need to check out all his friends' houses and go and go to the school to talk to them.  I am calling the police captain and see if, when you get me a list of friends, he will send someone to the houses.  Gus, if you will come with me to school, his friends might talk better if they see his dad with me. Brian, you call all the family around, including the extended friends, anyone he might think to go to.”  And the search began.


Trenton had worked late and didn’t get up until 9:00 a.m.  The storm that had rolled through in the middle of the night made everything sparkle outside this morning.  He had just poured his first cup of coffee when his phone rang.  He looked and saw it was Brian.  His first thought was to wonder what charity Brian was working with now.  “Hey, Brian.  What can I do for you?”

“Daniels, have you seen Gage?”

“Gage? Why would I have seen ….. Brian what’s happened?” Trent’s heart started hurting and he was having a hard time breathing.

“Gage ran away. We are grasping at straws as to where he might have gone. I am guessing you already know about the baby situation.  Gage didn’t take it well and left on one of the all terrain vehicles sometime after midnight, is the guess.”

“Oh, god, Gus and Shelby….”

“As you can imagine they are very shook up.”

“What can I do? Damn, of course I’ll head over as soon as I can.  I just got up but I will be there in about half an hour.”

“Trenton, why don’t you look around your place before you come over.  I know he has only been there once or twice but he trusts you so maybe...do you think he could be around there?”

For the first time, Trenton heard the real worry in Brian’s voice.  “Brian, I will look over my property carefully and then I will take my motorcycle and see if I can find any trails leaving your place.” The call ended and Trenton with coffee in hand dashed up the stairs to get dressed.  He needed to find Gus’ son.  What would they do if they couldn’t find him? What would he do? His heart nearly shattered just thinking about it.  He was riding in that storm.  What if he had a wreck? He could be anywhere in these mountains.  He couldn’t even think about that. 

As he rushed back downstairs he moved toward the front door but changed his mind.  He would check the backyard storage shed and the couple other small buildings that were in the back area.  He stepped out onto the back porch and looked around.  He would start with the shed closest to the house and then move farther out.

Trenton moved off in a jog.  He looked in the nearby building and could tell it hadn’t been opened in some time so he moved on. As he jogged out a bit further he saw some tire tracks.  He knew one of his neighbors used this area frequently but these tracks looked fresh. And then he saw it.  It was well hidden but there was the four-wheeler he had seen Gage ride many times. He looked around but didn’t see him.  He started back toward the house and as he got close he saw it.  Something was different about the porch.  He slowed his pace and, as quietly as he could, he approached the house and then he could see him.  The young boy was sleeping on his porch. 

Trenton was so relieved but he wanted to do this right.  He moved further away and called Gus.  “PEN! Have you heard?”

“Yes, love, relax.” Trent was talking softly and calmly.  “He is here.  I just found him.  He is asleep on our bed.”

“Oh, god!” Trent could hear the emotion in his voice. “I’m on my way.”

“Please, Gus, wait until you hear from me.  Let me talk to him.  I’ll contact you in the next couple hours.  If there is any problem I will call right away. Trust me, Gus.”

“Oh, Pen, I trust you. It’s just….  Tell him we love him so much.”  Dan, who was with Gus put an arm around his shoulders, listened with him.  “Oh, and Pen, thank you.”

Dan hugged Gus and said, “Take a deep breath and call your wife.”


Trenton ascended the steps of the porch and walked over to the swing, sitting down on the edge. “Gage,” he said softly as he brushed the hair out of Gage’s eyes. “Hey, buddy, you have a lot of people worrying about you.”

Gage jumped as he woke up from a deep sleep. “Oh, shit, I fell asleep didn’t I.  Trent, you can’t tell anyone.  Please, I will leave right now and I won’t take your blanket.”

“Well, since you did fall asleep and I know you are here, how about I make you some breakfast before  you go wherever you plan on going.  You weren’t going to travel during the day anyway, were you?”

“No, I was going to take this blanket and go stay in that building out there and then leave once it was  dark.”  Gage said as he sat up.  “But I guess this bed looked too good and the blanket helped me warm up from being wet.” 

Trenton couldn’t stop himself and hugged the boy tightly against him and as he felt Gage’s arms go around him he nearly cried in relief. He could only imagine how Shelby and Gus felt.

They walked into the house, Gage grabbing his bag.  Trenton, still not ready to let go of him, kept an arm on his shoulder.  “They are going to be so mad at me.  Can I stay here? Can I move in, Trent?”

“I am not kicking you out.” He hugged Gage tightly.   “Why don’t you take a nice hot shower? Do you have dry clothes or should I find some for you?”

Gage looked in his bag. “I think they are a little damp but I don’t mind.”

“Get in the shower and I will get you some sweats until yours dry out. And I’ll make us some breakfast.  I’m hungry.”

Twenty minutes later, Gage came into the kitchen.  He had rolled up the sweats a bit and tied the rope at the waist tight enough to keep them up.  He had on a long sleeve T-shirt but his hands weren’t visible.  Trent took one of his hands and then rolled the cuffs up a couple times.  He then reached for the other hand and Gage lifted it for him and  Trent rolled the other one up.

“I hope you’re hungry.  I have sausage, waffles, eggs and some fresh fruit.  They are cinnamon waffles, the kind made from  cinnamon rolls and I saved the frosting to…”

Gage wrapped his arms tightly around Trent’s waist and put his head on his chest. “Gage, do you want to talk to your mom and dad?”

“NO!” He responded very sharply.  “They don’t want me and they will be so mad at me.  They’ll only act glad to see me because they are supposed to.”

“Gage, what started this, why did you leave?”

As Gage ate he told him about  feeling like he wasn’t needed or wanted.  “I mean Dad wanted another kid so bad he had a baby with his sister…”  That part seemed to just sink into his brain. “I…”

“Gage, you know your dad did not have sex with Brinn.  It was a medical procedure. You don’t really think Gus would….”

“He does with you.”

“Yes, he does. I love your dad very much and he cares about me.” Ternt posed for a moment.  “Gage, I need to call your parents.  I promise you can stay here until this is straightened out “

“I should just go.  I don’t think I can face them.”

“Gage, you don’t have to right now but I need to call your dad and mom and let them know you are alright.  Promise to stay here?”  Gage nodded and Trent pointed to the TV as he went out to the porch. From this position he could see Gage but not be heard by him.


Dan rushed Gus home to tell Shelby the news.  As soon as they arrived,  Dan started calling people to let them know Gage was safe.  Gus entered the house and took Shelby in his arms.  “He is at Trent’s.  He is fine.  Our boy is safe.” Shelby began to weep with relief.  Gus looked around for his girls and only saw Brian, “Pops, where are my girls?”

“They are with your dad and Justice.  We thought it was better for Tally to get out of here and Taylor wanted to go, too.  If you are alright, I will go over there and tell them all.”  Gus just nodded as he held onto his wife.  

Both Shelby and Gus wanted to call Trent so bad but they waited it out.


Brian arrived at the house to find Justin on the sofa with Taylor while Juss and Tally played by the small table.  Taylor stood and after looking at Brian and his smile of reassurance she ran into Brian’s arms. “Where is he, Grandpa? Is he alright?”

Justin came over and kissed Brian before Brian answered, “He made it to Trenton’s.  They haven’t talked to him yet but Trent will call back soon and give them details.  For now it is enough to know he is in good hands and we know where he is.”

“He likes Trent and we know Trent likes him.  That was a good place for him to go. That little shithead.” Taylor added after a hesitation. She then started crying as Justin held her close, “Why would he do something like that.  He has to know Mom and Dad love him.  They love all of us.”

“Yes, of course they do. But Gage is younger and the news you got yesterday, I am sure he felt like his status in the family had changed. He will come around.  And Trent is the perfect person to help him realize that.”

“I know.” Taylor wandered away and went to play with the little girls.

Brian pulled Justin close and kissed him softly.  Soon the kiss went deeper and Brian’s hand moved down Justin’s back until it rested on Justin’s ass.  “He’s alright.” Brian said as he held onto him tightly.  “He won’t end up like me. He won’t have anyone take advantage of him.”

Justin brought his mouth to Brian’s ear, “You can take advantage of me any time, my love.”  As Taylor played with the girls, Brian and Justin slipped out of the kitchen and down the hall to their bedroom.


Gus and Shelby both jumped when they heard Gus’ phone ring, “Pen, how is Gage? What do you know? How did he get there? You’re on speaker.”

“Gage is fine.  I haven’t had a chance to learn much yet.  He managed to make it through the woods and trails through the storm last night.  He arrived here and fell asleep on the porch swing covered in a couple blankets. He has had a hot shower and a good breakfast.”

“Is he there? Will he talk to me?” Shelby asked hopefully.

“Shelby, I know you both want to talk to him, want to hold him, but right now I think he needs a little space.”

“Where is he right now?  You didn’t leave him alone so he could slip out, did you?” Shelby asked.

“I can see him through the window and if I’m not mistaken, he
is sleeping again.  Having that many emotions turning around is hard work.  I know.  I did it for years because of Adam.  I promise I won’t let him out of my sight.  I already took the keys, which he doesn’t know but if he left it would be on foot.  He’s not getting far.” Trenton thought he heard the phone go off speaker. 

“Pen, thank you.  He hates me, doesn’t he.”

“Gus, you know he doesn’t hate you.  He is hurt and confused.  Your son is a deep thinker and he just needs to process all of this. I will do my best to have him call you tonight but I can’t force him.  That won’t help anything.”

“We know you love him like your own.  Fuck, I just feel so guilty.  How could I do this to him?”

“Gus, you did something so special for your dads. Gage will realize that.  I know he will. And I don’t mind if he stays here for a few days. Now, go be with your wife and daughters.”

“Thanks, Pen.” Gus hesitated, “Pen….”

“I know, Gus.  I love you.  I love your son.”


Brian and Justin took the little girls and Taylor over to see the twins.  After they had spent an hour, Brian and Justin announced it was time to go but Justice put her hands on her hips and looked at them.  “I live here. I stay here.”

“But Juss, your mommy and daddy have two new babies in the house.” Taylor got down to her level and tried to talk her into leaving with them.

“Well,” Juss hugged, “If they are staying, they are going to have to get used to me.” She crossed her arms across her chest.  Brian had to turn around so she didn’t see him laughing and Justin was just holding on.  

Zach walked over and picked up his daughter, “Of course, you can stay here but if Mommy and Daddy are a little too busy and you want to go back to your grandpas you just let us know.”

Juss hugged his neck tightly, now she had tears in her voice, “This is where I belong.”

“You are right, my love. You are my girl.”   

With that Justin picked up Tallia, and Brian put his arm around Taylor and they left them alone. 

Brian and Justin dropped the girls off at Gus and Shelby’s before going back home, alone.


Gage spent a lot of the day sleeping.  Trenton gave him plenty of space knowing when he was ready, he would talk.  Gage had fallen asleep out on the bed so Trent sat with his computer writing.  “No, No! I don’t …. Gabe…” 

Trent rushed to the bed and laid down behind him and wrapped his arms around the boy.  “Gage, darling, it’s alright.  You’re having a dream.  I’m here.”

Gage turned over to face Trenton and pressed close against him, trembling slightly.  Trent spoke softly.  He really didn’t say anything but the tone of his voice was soothing and Trenton kissed Gage’s cheek and temple trying to calm him. Eventually Trenton said, “Are you better?”

Gage nodded but moved closer to Trent rather than farther away.  Trent started feeling a little uncomfortable so put a little space between them.  “How about helping me make dinner?”

“Sure,” Gage said as he sait up. “Trenton, why would I dream about my brother? I never have before.”

“Well, you had a shock, not really a bad shock, just one you don’t understand yet.  And the other time you had a shock, you were very young, but it was still a shock and you remember it even if you don’t realize.”  Trenton directed Gage to make some hamburgers that would go on the grill.  

As Gage started making burgers, he started talking, “Trenton, why would Mom let Dad do that? Why would Dad want to?”

“Gage, I can understand your confusion but try to see it from your Aunt Brinn’s point of view.  Zach was told he couldn’t have children so they had to pick someone to help them.  Brinn was thinking about the people she loves and realized she had a chance to give your grandpas something they never dreamt they could have.  You know how much they love each other but being two men they couldn’t do it themselves.  Gage, I know you would do anything for your mom and dad, even if you are a little upset now.  You would do anything for your grandpas, too.”

Trenton saw Gage had made four burgers but now he stood still.  He nodded toward the door and Gage followed him out to the grill and they put the burgers on it.  Trenton also put some potatoes and vegetables on to cook. 

“Trenton, they aren’t even going to want to talk to me.  I want to hear Mom’s voice.”  Gage teared up.  I don’t care if they don’t want me anymore.  I need them.”

Damn, this kid had gotten to his heart.  Trenton pulled him close. “We can call her.  I know she wants to hear your voice, too.”

“I don’t know if I can talk to her though.  I don’t want her to….”

“Cry?”

“Ya, that will make her sadder.”

“Would you like me to talk to her first?” Trenton took a step back and looked into his face and Gage nodded. Trenton moved the burgers to the top level of the grill and turned the grill on low before he sat down in a chair nearby and Gage followed and sat down next to him.  “Gage, could you go get me a bottle of water, please.  You will need to go into the pantry fridge, I think.” As Gage walked away, he called Shelby.

“Trent! How is Gage?”  Shelby answered, her voice was filled with concern but much calmer than she had been when she had talked to her with Gus earlier.  

“Shelby, he wants to talk to you.  Well, he wants you to talk to him.  He knows he screwed up but he isn’t quite ready to say that to you or to come home.  He’s dealing with pride and hurt feelings.  He’s coming.  Just tell him you love him and you want him to come home when he is ready.  I got him for as long as he needs a place.  Here he is.” 

Gage took the phone from Trenton, “Hi Mom,” he said softly.

“Oh, Gage, it is so good to hear your voice. Trenton tells me you made it safely to his house.  We wish you were home with us but we know you are in good hands.  Gage, we love you.  We all miss you.”

Gage, couldn’t talk and handed the phone to Trent and ran to the other end of the porch and around the corner. “Hey, Shelby, just give him a day or two.  Maybe try calling him tomorrow on his phone. His emotions are on the surface and he thinks if you know he is crying you will get upset.  I’ll call you later and let you know what he is talking about but now….”

“Yes, Trenton, take care of our son.  And thank you. We’ll talk later.” 

As Trent put the phone down, he turned the grill up and moved the burgers so they would finish cooking.  After a few minutes, Gage walked over and Trent smiled.  “How about getting the plates and condiments and we will eat out here?”

 

Gage impulsively hugged Trent quickly and kissed his cheek, “Thank you, Trent.  I feel a lot better.”