- Text Size +

Chapter 9


By the end of the week, Brian and Justin had moved out of Gus and Shelby’s and the downstairs bedroom was set up for Shelby and her care.  Tallia was so excited her mommy was coming home but the older kids were a little nervous.  It was all new for them and they had already had so many changes.  Trenton and Gus had talked it over and after Gus talked to Shelby it was decided Trenton would move in with them.  He would stay in the guest room and he would be there when Gus was gone so the kids had an adult to talk to at all times.

Justin and Brian had moved into the apartment above Wine and Design while the house was being built.  Once Brian was up to it he would spend some time at the build and Justin would use the apartment at Molly’s for painting.  He now knew he would never purposely leave Brian.  He still felt guilty but Brian kept telling him he understood.  

Justin woke to the feel of Brian’s hand moving down his body and eventually long fingers wrapped around his cock.  He instantly reacted.  It had been far too long since he had felt Brian touch him like this. “God, Brian, that feels amazing,” he said as Brian’s long fingers stroked him gently.  He moved so he could kiss him and now it was Brian’s turn to sigh.  

“I need you, Sunshine.  I can’t…..I can’t do a lot of moving but do you think you could….”

Back in the day Justin would have straddled him and rode him for hours but his leg would no longer allow that.  “I’m sorry, I can’t…. But my mouth works just fine.” Justin started at Brian’s lips and ever so gently he slowly moved downward.  By the time Justin got to Brian’s cock, Brian could barely hold back.  Justin took him over the edge as gently as he could so Brian wouldn’t strain his injured ribs. Even after Brian had cum Justin continued to suckle his cock.  

Eventually, Brian couldn’t take it anymore, “Justin as amazing as the feels you are driving me to….”

“Oh, I’m sorry.  I have missed the taste of you.” Justin kissed Brian’s navel. “I missed the texture of your skin.

“Come here, Sunshine and straddle my head.  Brian moved down on the bed so he was lying flat on his back and Justin spread his legs to put one on either side of the Brian’s shoulders and leaned so he could support himself on the headboard as he lowered himself into Brian’s mouth.  He wasn’t much for religion but if this wasn’t part of heaven… he thought as he felt Brian close around him. He began to move his hips so he slipped in and out of Brian’s mouth. Brian managed to take Justin’s hips and controlled his speed.  He moved one hand behind him and as Brian moved Justin’s hips with one hand it caused his finger to enter Justin as he moved out of his mouth. Justin took in a sharp breath as Brian began to focus his finger on Justin’s prostate and Justin lost total control.  Brian forced Justin to stay still buried deep in Brian’s throat along with Brian’s finger buried deep inside of him. Justin spasmed over and over, until Brian removed his finger and Justin dropped off to the side. 

They lay side by side with fingers linked. “Did Elliott tell you how long it would be before you were …” Justin asked as he moved to kiss Brian.

“Trust me, Sunshine, you will be the first to know! I’d like to say tomorrow but I know I would be in too much fuckin’ pain to enjoy myself. God, Justin, it has been almost 35 years and I still can’t get enough of you.”

“Well, let’s hope that never changes,” Justin ran his tongue around Brian’s nipple.

“God, I love you.”

“I know you do and now, you are at least strong enough to be home alone.  I am going to go to the hospital and make sure Shelby gets home.  I should be home in time to make lunch for us.  We want you to eat healthy so you get better quickly.”

“I could go…”

“I know you want to go but you aren’t going to be any help.  You can’t even lift Tally, so stay here and rest and if you are a good boy, maybe we can play again tonight.”

“You’re right.  I just feel so helpless with Gus and Shelby and the kids going through all this and thank god, Dan and Marcus have Hannah back, not to mention Brinn is alright after her fall.  Maybe when you come back you could bring Juss back with you.  I miss the grandkids.”

“I’ll check with Brinn and Zach.  Maybe she can come home with us and Brinn can pick her up when she leaves the office this afternoon. How about a shower, and then I need to get out of here.”


Gus arrived at the hospital.  Taylor wanted to come along but Gus knew this would take awhile.  Trenton had brought a bag with him and moved in the night before so he was there to help Taylor with Tally and Gage.  Gage was in more pain than he admitted.  He had stitches on the sole of his foot and he couldn’t walk without putting pressure on it so now he had crutches which he thought added to his story when they got back to school on Monday.  They had been closed to check for building safety but it had been cleared so Monday they were back to school which would actually be better for Gus’ house. Shelby would need all the peace she could get.  Zach would be taking Tally part of the day so everything had been reviewed.

Gus entered Shelby’s room and smiled when he saw her sitting up on the edge of the bed. “Hey Gus,” she said softly but the smile on her lips didn’t make it to her eyes.

Gus walked over and kissed her.  “Are you ready to come home?”

“I am, Gus.  I just don’t want to be in the way and not be able to help and….”

“Oh, Shelly, just having you in the house  will help.  I have the physical part covered but our kids need their mom.  No one can do that part of your job.”

“Trenton got moved in?” Shelby questioned. 

Gus wondered if that was the real reason for the nerves, “Yes, he did.  Are you sure you are alright with that? I mean, I know you mentioned it but if you don’t want him there…” he sat down and put his arm around her, “I would totally understand and so would he.”

“No, Gus, he’s a comfortable adult for the kids and  he is willing.”  She took a deep breath, “Gus, where is Trenton sleeping?”

“Oh, Shel, that is not why Pen is staying at our house.  He is sleeping in the guest room next to Gage.  I will either be sleeping with you, if I’m allowed and you’re comfortable or I will sleep in our room alone.  He will never...we will never be together in our room and, I don’t see us together at our house at all. Shelby, the kids and you are my priority.  Yes, I care a great deal about Pen but it doesn’t compare to my love for you and my family. He took her into his arms gently, making sure not to move her back.  “Shelby Jones Kinney, I love you and the beautiful children you share with me.  You are going to heal and soon this will be an old memory.”

“Gus, what if….. What if I don’t get better.”

“Then we will remodel the house and live our lives. Whether your legs work or not doesn’t change who you are, Shel.”

Shelby wrapped her arms tightly around Gus.  “How is Gage?  Do I make a big deal about his foot or just a little bit, at least in public?”

“Treat him like the brave young man he is in public but then baby him when he crawls in bed with you, and he will.”  Gus kissed her once more as the nurse walked in with Justin right behind her. Gus and Justin stepped out as the nurse did the final checkout.  

Justin hugged Gus.  “Everything set at the house?” Justin put an arm around Gus’ waist as they walked to the waiting room.

“She asked me if Pen and I were going to sleep together while he helped us out.  She was worried I would just move him into our bedroom since she can’t make it up there. I told her if she didn’t want him there, he didn’t need to be but she says she wants him there.”

“Gus, you are sensitive to her.  I think Trenton will be aware of all the kids feelings which is why you are having him there.  You know if you need me, ever….and Brian will be back up and moving soon.  He will be spending time at the vineyard.  You know our new house is going to keep him busy.  I think I know where you got the architect bug now.  I told him it was all his.  He could do what he wanted.  He has always had amazing taste.”

“Well, you’ve seen the floorplan. Pops does have a talent for it but he might be the homeowner from hell. I have a feeling he will change things every step of the way.”

“You’re probably right. I’m not going home with you today.  I think you will need to get into your own schedule.  I am going to pick up Justice.  Brian needs something to distract him.  She is good at just sitting and talking, telling him stories….he misses the kids being in town now.”

“You go on, Dad.  I am glad you stopped by and I know Shelby appreciated it but why don’t you go get Juss and go entertain Pops.

“Well, I did entertain him a bit this morning and he did the same.”

Gus saw the look on his dad’s face.  “It’s been a while.  Just be gentle with Pops. Now go,” Gus said as he saw the nurse coming to get him.  “I’ll talk to you later.” Gus kissed Justin and headed toward Shelby’s room.

An hour later, Gus was pulling the car into the garage. An ambulance pulled up behind me.  They had decided for Shelby’s safety this was the best way to get her home. He quickly moved to the back and as she was pulled out he reached over and squeezed her hand.  “Tallia was so excited this morning. I tried to explain to her but I am not sure she understands.  All she knows is her mommy has been gone and she misses her.” Just as he finished the sentence Taylor carried Tally outside.

“MOMMY! I see Mommy.” 

Taylor walked toward the gurney and talked to Tally as she walked.  “Remember, Tally, you need to be very gentle on Mom, especially when you give her that amazing, big hug we talked about.”

“I ‘member.  Don’t pull down on her neck.”

Shelby already had tears in her eyes as Taylor carefully put Tally on her lap and those little arms reached around her so tentatively.  “Oh, Tallia, I have missed you so much!” Shelby gave Taylor a sweet smile of thanks as she enfolded her baby into her arms.


Twenty minutes later the whole family was in the bedroom.  Shelby was in the adjustable bed they had gotten for her.  Tally was in her mom’s arms while Gus and the older kids stood around the bed.  After a few minutes though, Taylor started to reach for Tallia and said, “Mom needs rest.”


Tally clung to her mom, “No, Taytay.  I want Mom.”

Gus gave Taylor a look that stopped her.  “Tally, why don’t you come with me and we can get Mommy so lunch and then you and Mommy can rest together for a while.” As Gus talked he lifted her off the bed and walked toward the door.  Taylor followed.  Shelby caught Gage’s hand before he left. “Will you keep me company while they get my lunch?”

He nodded and walked around the bed so he could get in next to her as he put his knee on the mattress to crawl over he froze, “This won’t hurt you, will it?”

“Come here, Gage,” she gestured him over. “You are always welcome next to me.  I know you will be careful.  You are almost grown up.” As the words came out of her mouth she looked at his face as he put his head on her breast and she saw her little boy again.  “How’s your foot doing?”

“It still really hurts if I walk on it.  Danny says that is normal, that the foot is just a hard place for healing because of needing to walk on it and the skin is so thick.”

“I hear shots in the foot are no fun.”

“Ya, well, I survived.  My grandpas were there to help me feel better, plus that little pill they gave me from Grandpa’s bottle was wild.  I kind of felt like I was just watching from above or something most of the time. I wonder what it was?”

“It doesn’t matter what it was because you, my boy, are never going to use drugs like that unless someone like Danny or Elliott gives it to you.”

“Don’t worry, Mom.  I’m not into drugs.”  He stretched up and kissed her cheek.  “I missed you.  I know I’m almost grown up but….”

“A boy or man can always miss his mom.  I know I missed you.”

Gage relaxed against her again, “Mom, are you Ok with Trenton being here? We all really like him and we know he is helping Dad a lot by helping us but if you don’t want him here, I can help with Tally more and he can….”

Shelby smiled.  Her son would always be her protector.  “Thank you, Gage, for asking.  I will admit it could be a little awkward but it is what we need right now.”

“Mom, does it ever,”  Gage moved away just a fraction and leaned against the bed, holding his mom’s hand, “get weird knowing Dad is, um,.....having sex with someone else? I know it isn’t my business but, Mom, I thought if you loved someone, that’s the person you should be loyal to.”

Shelby had to smile.  Yes, her son was talking about his dad’s sex life but it was because of her feelings.  “Gage, I know it isn’t the normal situation and I know you really can’t remember when your dad wasn’t with someone but your dad loves me.  He loves all of us so much but ….. It would be very different if he went out and found different guys.  That’s not him but if Trent can make him happy in ways I can’t as long as he comes home to us, it is best for all of us and like you said, Trent is a good guy.”


Gus found Trent in the kitchen, “ I wondered if you were here. Taylor, would you mind taking Tally to the bathroom before  lunch.”

“I was just going to do that,” Taylor said as she took her sister from her dad.

The two men watched the girls leave and then Trent said, “I started lunch.  Is that what you were coming for?”

“Well, I didn’t expect you to make our lunch but thank you,” he kissed Trent lightly on the lips.  “It looks good.”

“George filled your freezer so I just made something from there.”

“How was George? I haven’t seen him for a long time.”

“I know I don’t know him or his girlfriend well but, what does he see in her besides the fact she is beautiful.”

“I really don’t know.  It is a mystery how someone as sweet as Nora can have a sister so totally opposite.”

“I don’t know either.  I don’t know if I have ever said anything to her but observing her makes me know she is in this for some reason and I don’t think it is just because George is a good fuck even though I think he would be.”

“Matteo can fill you in on that,” Gus laughed a bit. “Of course that was long ago, before he met Nora.”

Soon lunch was done and the kids left Gus and Shelby alone as they ate at the table and Gus ate with Shelby in the bedroom.  He had talked about this with the older kids.  They had decided they would take turns eating with her but it was best for Tallia to eat at the table most of the time, depending on what the meal was but once they had all eaten, Tally crawled in bed with her mom and they both took a nap.


Justin arrived at the apartment with Juss and some lunch he had picked up.  They ate at the counter and then Juss sat on her grandpa’s lap and told him stories.  Justin had to laugh when he realized it had been an hour and her little voice had never stopped.  She was so like her mother.  His thoughts went to his daughter and the baby she carried.  He had a feeling about this pregnancy.  He wasn’t sure if it was because of her recent fall or because of Juss’ early arrival.  He just was uneasy.  As Juss got more animated as she talked to her grandfather he had to smile.  Maybe he was just unsure if the world was ready for another offspring of Brinn Chase. 

Finally, both Juss and Brian were sound asleep in the chair. Justin couldn’t resist brushing Brian’s hair off his forehead and kissing it before kissing the cheek of the little blond in his lap. Brian’s eyes fluttered open, “Justin?” he whispered.

“Rest, darling.” Justin’s lips met his.  Justin felt a shiver run through him. He loved this man and all it took was him saying his name to make him fall in love all over again.


Brinn pulled into the garage.  She knew she should be at the office but with Juss at her dads this was the first time in too long that she could have private time with Zach.  Juss was still sleeping with them after the earthquake and with her fall they had been doubly careful but she talked to Danny, who was in bed making love to El when he answered, and he gave her the All Clear. So, she hoped her husband was rested up and relatively unoccupied.  She walked into the house and Zach came rushing from his office, “Lulu, is something wrong? Do you need something? Should I call…”

Brinn walked over and cut him off with a kiss.  By the time she stepped away, both had racing hearts.  “The only thing I need is a couple of hours in bed with you alone.  Justice is gone.  Danny gave me the clear sign and you and I,” Brinn tugged at his shirt and he raised his arms so she could remove it.  He reached to start unbuttoning her blouse but she slapped his hands.  “No darling, you are going to have to wait for me to unwrap myself.” She ran her hand down from her breasts to the side of her tight pencil skirt.  When she had put it on today she knew this would be the last time until she lost the baby weight.  She was definitely gaining quickly this time.

Zach was laying naked on their bed, propped on his elbows. Brinn was unbuttoning her ‘lawyer’ blouse one button at a time.  When she got the last button open she slid the blouse off her shoulders and then was standing in a pushup bra, pencil skirt and stilettos.  Zach started coming off the bed when she dropped her bra to the ground.  She put up her hand to stop him but didn’t say anything.  She turned her back to him now and slowly pulled down the side zipper.  Where it would normally just drop she had to tug it from the hem a bit to get it over her baby bump but as she bent over and her backside became visible with the thread of lace reaching between her perfect globes. 

“Oh, god, Brinn will you please come here!” Zach growned.  She slowly turned and now crooked her finger for him to come over to her.   He slithered off the bed and crawled on all fours to her.  He lifted one of her feet and slipped the shoe off and then repeated it with the other foot.  And then he pressed his head gently against the baby bump on her tummy and using his teeth he tugged the small scrap of lace she was still wearing. Once she stepped out of it he brought his mouth to her and, although awkward, he slipped his tongue along her warm center and when he felt her tremble he got to his feet and rather than taking her to the bed he positioned her over the arm of the sofa and he entered her from behind causing her to orgasm immediately.  As he moved in and out he reached around her and as his fingers claimed her sensitive breasts they both cried out together.

An hour later Zach and Brinn lay side by side both flushed and muscles relaxed from sex. Brinn heard a little hitch in Zach’s breathing.  “Let’s move this to the tub.  You could use a little aroma therapy after that workout.”

“Do you know what you did to me with that little strip tease act? Holy shit!” Zach got up and they walked over to the bathtub. They got in the tub and faced each other.  Zach took Brinn’s feet in his hands and rubbed his thumbs along the arch as Brinn shivered from the feel. 

“Your hands are SO amazing!”

“A few minutes ago you had other body parts listed as well.” He pressed even harder.

She slashed a little water in his direction, “Just shut up and rub.


About two hours later she arrived at her dads.  She hadn’t put her ‘lawyer clothes’ back on.  She figured if they asked she would say she had spotted at the gym for a quick workout.  Well the workout part was true!  She went up the steps and knocked on the door.  Juss was soon standing on the other side of the glass door waving until Justin walked up behind her and unlocked the door. “Mommy, where is your pretty outfit,” Juss asked as the door opened.

“Well, Miss Juss, Mommy was tired of the high heels.” She picked up her daughter and kissed Justin as she walked in.  “And how was everyone’s afternoon?  Where’s….Oh hi Dad,” she walked over and kissed Brian.  She looked at him for a long moment, “You look better.  You have more color like you’ve had…”

Justin smiled, “Does he have the same glow you do?”

Brinn just laughed.  “I should have known you’d know. It’s just that Juss has been sleeping with us and I was told to take it easy for a few days so…. You had Justice so….”

“You are a grown woman, married to a wonderful man.”

“And you are a Taylor- Kinney so you’re always horney.”

“Papa, what’s horney?” Juss looked at Brian.

“Ya, Dad, tell her what that is,” Justin laughed.

“Oh, Justice, darling it just means Daddy and Mommy love each other very much and speaking of Daddy, he was going to make your favorite dinner.”

“Sgetti with the little meatballs?”  Justice’s whole face lit up.

“Exactly! Kiss your grandpas and we will go home.  

“Love you, Papa!” She carefully climbed on Brian’s lap and kissed him and then she ran full speed into Justin’s arms for a hug and kiss. “Thank you for bringing me here today.”

“You know you are always welcome where we are, Jussy.”  

Brinn kissed her dads and as she approached the door, she said, “I miss you at the vineyard.  I hope the house is completed quickly.  Christmas would be great but it will probably be closer to Valentine’s Day or Easter.  But I am sure your brother will get it pushed along. Drive safe.”


The next month everyone got back into a routine.  Brinn couldn’t believe how big she was getting so quickly.  None of her clothes fit anymore.  She had pulled out her maternity clothes but Brinn just knew she would need to buy larger ones. Maybe it was because this time she wasn’t sick at all.

Brian and Justin’s house had been cleared away and the new foundation had been poured.  The driveway was rerouted and Brinn’s  school house was moved over to her house for Juss to use and the one that was Justin’s studio was moved to Gus’ for Tally.  The new house would have a studio attached to the house.  It was going to be one story with a big open floor plan, perfect to entertain the family and friends.  It would have a chef style kitchen that was open to the rest of the great room.  They would have a lap pool in the back which was perfect for the two of them to stay in shape and yet the kids could at least splash if they were staying with their grandpas.  They didn’t need a big pool like Gus had.  The front of the house would have a big open veranda that looked across the vineyard where Brinn’s house was visible in the distance.  It was going to have everything they could ever need but it would be a home.  

Brian had recovered nearly completely by then and had started going out for a while each day to see how it was going and sometimes he would check on Shelby. Sometimes he would go say hi to Dan.  Dan was training Tyler to take over his role in the company and soon would have a lot more free time himself.  It was time he started spending more time with his family. They were both going to enjoy their retirement.

Gus and Shelby’s family had gotten into a routine.  Gus left about the same time as the kids.  There was about an hour from the time the kids went to school until the nurse came and Trenton dropped Tallia at Zach’s as he went home for a few hours. Frequently that time of day, Tally would sit with her mom and they would read stories.  

Shelby was feeling good now but she still had no feeling in her legs.  Tally came out of the bedroom and called out to Trent, “Trent, Mommy needs you. Quick.”

Trent sprinted down the hall to the bedroom.  He knocked, “Shelby, do you need something?”

“Yes, come in.”  Shelby was sitting up in the bed.  “Trenton, I hate to bother you but my nurse just called and she has the flu.  I hate to ask but are you free today? Well, really I don’t need you here but if you could help me….Sorry, could you help me dress and get me in the chair and then you could….”

“I have no plans, Shelby, I’d be happy to stay for the day.  I can write here as well as at my place.  I’ll just see if Zach can pick up Tally for preschool today.” Trenton turned to Tally, “Sweetheart, can you go brush your teeth and get your jacket and book bag.  I am sure your Uncle Zach will come by for you.”

“Ok, Trenty,” and she was off.

“Trent, I know we haven’t spent a lot of time talking but you are so good with her.  I don’t know what we would do without you here.”  

Trent mumbled something about getting Tally off and coming back after she left. Fifteen minutes later Tally was gone and Trent walked back to the bedroom.  For a moment outside of the door, Trent smiled.  He thought of Adam’s face if he knew he was helping a woman dress although that made more sense than undressing. He knocked and walked in still smiling.

“Well, that is great to see,” Shelby commented.  “What created that smile?”

Trent flushed, “I was just…. Nothing important.”

“Come on, Trent.  I don’t get a lot to think about anymore.”

“I was just thinking about Adam.  He was my partner…” 

“Gus told me about him. That had to be very hard.”

“It was, but anyway, he would find it hilarious to know I was helping a woman on with her clothes.”

“You should smile more.  It suits you.”

“Being with your family, I have had more reasons to smile this past month.  Your children are great and Gus…”

“We both know Gus is special.” Shelby reached out and took his hand. “Trent, I had to make a decision years ago about Gus and I knew I didn’t want to live without him so if that meant sharing him in some form, I would have to do that.  Gus has never lied to me minus his problems when you met him.  He never wanted to just sleep around.  He just needed more.”  Shelby squeezed his hand, “I’m just glad he has you.  Please, let me know when he needs a break?  If he needs a break you could go to your place and we could get the nurse to say overnight or have one of my friends come.  We both know he can stress himself out trying to do it himself.”

For the second time Trent smiled, “Yes, he does. And I want you to know he and I….”

“I know, Trent. I trust my husband.  If you had, he’d tell me.” Shelby directed Trent where he would find her clothes.  Trenton turned his back on her as she changed her top and then she said, “I’m afraid I can’t change my pants alone. You will need to roll me first on one side and then the other to get it off my big ass. I’ll save you the embarrassment of going further.”

“Shelby, um, how careful do I need to be when I move you?”

“Oh, Trent, you don’t have to worry as long as you aren’t planning on throwing me down on the ground. At this point they keep assuring me  I will be able to walk again but  they tell me the swelling is gone and I still can’t feel a thing and I still  have this fucking cathitor bag!”  Shelby’s demeanor shattered as she sat there. “Gus will never…..I can’t feel anything.  I’ve offered too well, he should just sleep with you.” Shelby buried her face in her hands.

Trenton sat down on the edge of the bed and put his arms around her and she leaned against him.  He didn’t try to say anything. How could he know what it was like to not feel anything.  How could he know what it felt like to have no control of anything?

After a few minutes Shelby pulled herself upright.  “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to put this on you.  You’re just here to help us.” As she talked he tentatively rolled her from one side to the other and then pulled her pants off.  He put each of her legs in a pants leg and pulled the pants on.  He then did the reverse and she was dressed.  He pulled on some socks for her and then, with her guidance got her into the wheelchair she was using part of the time now. 

He rolled her to the dining room table and asked, “Another cup of coffee?”

“Oh, yes.  Are there more of Geo’s cinnamon rolls? I know I shouldn’t because I can’t burn an ounce but…”

“Let me warm it up and get more of that frosting.”  

As they ate they talked about the kids and, of course, Gus.  Shelby’s phone sounded and she looked at the text. “Damn!”

“What is it?” Trenton asked as he filled her cup again.

“It’s a problem at the foundation.  Vicky was supposed to get a grant request in last week and if it doesn’t get in today we will lose all the funding.  I don’t think I can do it by myself.  I get so tired doing anything.  Could you please help me write it up? Obviously, you can type and if all I need to do is dictate I think we can get this done.  It is worth at least a $1 M.”

“I didn’t know you got grants to support the foundation.” Trent said as he opened her computer and after she signed in he took it over.

“Oh, the grant isn’t for us, really.  We write grants for agencies that are too small to have people that have the expertise.  Many of the agencies are just locals who want to do good but don’t have the skills for things like this.”

“Wow, I didn’t know you did that much. Let’s get started.”  An hour later Shelby was amazed at how quickly it was coming along.  There had been times she had spent eight hours on one grant.  After Trent made their lunch he could see she was getting tired sitting in the chair so they moved into the bedroom.  He got her in bed and then sat in the overstuffed chair near the bed and continued to work.  Soon Shelby’s voice trailed off and Trent realized he was on his own. He had just finished when his phone beeped letting him know Tally would be there in a few minutes. He set the computer in the middle of the bed and moved toward the door.

“Trent?” Shelby’s sleepy voice caught his ear.

“Tallia will be here in a minute.  The computer is next to you.  I did my best.  Once Tally has a snack I’ll bring her in and I can make changes.”

A half hour later Shelby heard a small knock on her door, “Is that my baby?” 

Trent opened the door and Tallia walked in, “Mommy, I am not a baby.  I go to pwe-school.”

Shelby opened her arms and Trenton scooped Tally up to put her on her mom’s lap.  He dropped a kiss on the top of her head as he set her down.  He looked for the open computer and then realized it was shut beside her.  “Did you need me to make corrections?”

“Trenton, you are an amazing writer.  Any time you want to become a grant writer for the Foundation you are hired.”

“I’m not looking for a job but if you ever want to pick my brain…”

“Don’t offer it if you don’t mean it.”

“I’d be glad to help for something so worthwhile.  I better go check on the directions for dinner.”

By the time Gus got home, the kids were working on homework and Tallia was coloring by the counter. He looked around and then walked up to Trenton.  He turned him from the stove and kissed him.  He looked exhausted.

“Rough day, dear?” Trent laughed. 

“It really was. One of the earthquake repairs ended up being a major rebuild rather than the superficial work and we had to tell them how much it was going to cost” Trent ran his fingers through Gus’ hair.  “Go shower. Dinner will be ready in about 20 minutes.”

Gus walked in to see Shelby sitting in bed looking brighter than she had.  “You look like you had a good day.”

“I may be in love with Trent.” Shelby kissed Gus when he walked over to her.  One kiss led to a much longer one. “You on the other hand look wiped.”

“Ya, I’ll tell you about it later.  I need a shower.”

As Gus got in bed with Shelby later that night they talked about their days.  “Gus, I don’t know what I would have done without Trent today.  I mean the nurse’s agency could have sent a stranger to help but I didn’t really need a skilled nurse today.  And on top of helping me dress and putting up with a breakdown, he helped me write a grant. It is the best grant request I’ve ever submitted.”

“Trenton doesn’t say a lot but he is always there.” Gus yawned, “I’m glad you got to see him the way I see him.”

“Actually, he got to see me the way you do,” Shelby laughed.  Gus dropped onto the mattress in his briefs. Gus moved close to her.  Although he was exhausted, this was the kind of night he wanted to make love.  It would help relieve his stress.  It would take his mind off of everything but he knew, even if she wanted to, she wasn’t ready for it.  He kissed her and let his hand wander under her sleepshirt.  “Gus, I’m sorry.  I have been married to you long enough to know what you  need tonight.  I wish I could offer….”

Gus tweaked her nipple as his hand began moving lower. “No!” she was sharper than she should. “I’m sorry, Gus.  I just can’t….. I love you, Gussy but I just am not ready and I’m not sure when I will be.”

“I’m sorry, Shel.  I didn’t mean to push you.  I’ll just …..”

“You just need to let off some stress.  I know you well enough after all these years.  Go to Trent.  I am sure you both could use a little play.”

“No, Shel.  I’m not going to leave our bed to…”

“Gus, don’t be chivalrous. I am not going to offer this every night but,” she reached up and touched his cheek, “I love you so much.  You need this tonight.  Just take the monitor with you so if I need you…  Please, go.  I can’t take the guilt knowing someone in the house ….”

Gus looked at his wife.  He didn’t want to stress her and he knew she was right.  He would be much better if he could release some of this tension.  “You are the most amazing woman on this earth.”  He grabbed a robe and walked around to kiss her once more as he picked up the monitor.

“Gus, I will be sleeping in minutes.  I actually am tired from doing something which is an amazing feeling. That’s thanks to Trent.  Go thank him for me.”

Gus picked up the monitor and walked out of the room blowing Shelby a kiss before turning off the light.

Gus made his way upstairs and to the end of the hall.  He tried the door to Trent’s room and it opened.  Trent was sitting up with the bedside light on. He was wearing his glasses and reading a book. Gus’ cock came to full erection instantly.  Gus could tell he had been running his hand through his hair.  He did that when he was absorbed in something, like a good book. 

Trent jumped when he heard the door close.  “Gus,” he said softly.  “What are you doing here?”

Gus threw his robe in a chair and then dropped his briefs as he walked over to the bed and sat on the edge.  He took the book out of Trent’s hand and laid it open face down on the nightstand  and then ran his hand through his hair.  Trent’s hand grasped the back of Gus’ head and pulled him in for a kiss. By the time they came up for air they were both frantic to touch more of each other. 

As Gus pulled the covers back and straddled Trent, Trent linked fingers with Gus and held his hands away from his body, “Gus...Shelby...She’s Ok with this?”

Gus leaned forward and started dragging his tongue from Trenton’s lips downward. Trent was making it difficult for him to move. “Yes, Pen, my wife sent me up here. She knows I came home stressed which usually meant we would make love fast and hard and then we would lay in each other’s arms as we sleep but….” All of the sudden Gus rolled off him and buried his face in the pillow.  Trent felt the trembling of Gus' body through the mattress.  

Trent gave him a moment and then pulled him close.  “I understand, sweetheart.  I understand.”

After a few moments, Gus said through a veil of emotion, “What am I going to do if she never…”

“You will deal with it and she will deal with it.  Just today I could see her strength.  The two of you will be able to fight your way through anything you have to and I will be here to help anyway I can.  Now, my beautiful lover,” Trent’s hand ran down Gus’ bare side and when it got below his waist he reached around and, grasping one of Gus’ cheeks, he pulled him close.  “Now, let’s see if we can relieve some of that stress.” As Trent’s hand slid between his firm cheeks, Gus gave in and began rocking against Trent’s own erection.  “Pen, take me.”

It was around 3:00 am when Gus woke.  He slipped out of the room leaving a sleeping Trenton.  He stopped in the master and showered before going back downstairs and slipping into bed with Shelby.  He felt her shift slightly so he took her in his arms and kissed her cheek before falling into a peaceful sleep.


Brinn had an appointment with Danny and the Ultrasound machine. Justin and Brian had picked Justice up to spend the night with her grandparents giving Brinn and Zach a night to themselves. Justice had started to sleep back in her own room but there were still many nights she ended up between Brinn and Zach.  

Brinn and Zach drove  to Danny and Elliott’s clinic. They were the last appointment of the day and then the four of them were going to have a double date.  “I am so glad Danny and Elliott are back in a good place.  Danny hinted that they were talking about having a baby.  That would be so exciting.  Our kids could grow up together.  Can’t you see Juss ‘mothering’ them all?”

“Yes, I definitely can.  I’m just glad the two of them worked it out.  I can’t imagine hiding a secret like that for so long,” Zach said as they neared the small town. “I don’t know if I would survive if something happened to our kids.”

“I think it was so devastating, he just couldn’t face it everyday.”  Brinn rested her hand on her stomach.  She swore this baby was going by the minute.  “I have a feeling Danny will tell us we are having a twenty pound baby.  I am sure he is going to tell me to stop eating so much but I am always hungry.”

Zach pulled the car into the clinic parking lot and once it had stopped he reached over and put his hand on Brinn’s belly.  You have to remember you have Taylor Kinney blood growing in there.  Who knows what that combination is creating.  The two things I know is that our baby will be stunningly beautiful and thoroughly loved.”  

Zach jumped out of the car and rushed to Brinn’s side.  He helped her out of the car and pulled her into his arms, kissing her. He smiled and said, “I figured I better do that before your belly is too big to reach those lovely lips.”

“Watch it, buddy,” Brinn swatted at him, “Or you aren’t going to be allowed on these lovely lips.”

Danny was waiting inside the door and led them right back to the ultrasound room.  As Danny started prepping the machine there was a tap on the door, “Do you mind if I join you?” Elliott’s voice came through the door.

“Sure the more the merrier,” Brinn responded.   

Elliott walked over to Danny and kissed him and assisted Danny.  Both Zach and Brinn noticed they had angled the screen so they couldn’t see it.  Brinn started squeezing Zach’s hand and looked up at him, worry written on her face. Danny glanced at Brinn and saw the look on her face.  He smiled up at Elliott and then smiled over at Brinn and Elliott.  

“I’m sorry if we worried you.  I was just verifying what I was fairly sure of.”

“Damn it, Danny Reed if you don’t….” 

Elliott turned the screen to show Brinn and Zach, “You are having twins and Elliott and I agree, they are both boys.”

“We what?” Zach grabbed the side of the bed Brinn was laying on. He looked down at Brinn and then pulled her to him with tears running down his face.  “Justice is going to have two little boys to mother.”

Elliott guided Danny out of the room so they could have a couple minutes later.  Elliott took Danny’s face in his hands and kissed him.  His tongue worked its way into Danny’s mouth and Danny melted against him. When they separated, El softly said, “I’m ready, Danny.  I want to start looking for a surrogate to have your baby.”  After the birth defect of his daughter he didn’t want to be the donor which Danny understood.  It was unlikely another child of his would have the same problem but if that was how he felt Danny wasn’t going to push the situation.

“Really, El? You’re sure?”

“Yes, darling. I’m ready.”  He saw Danny clance to the door that Brinn was just opening, “And, yes, we can tell them but only them right now.”

Danny started kissing him again “Don’t mind us,” Brinn said as they walked out, happy to see them so in love again. 

Danny kissed El once more quickly and said, “We are going someplace special for dinner.  We have something to celebrate.”

Zach reached around Brinn and placed his hands on her belly.  She leaned against him and put her hands on top of his. “Guys as much as I love going somewhere really nice, right now I am craving a large pizza with everything on it. I don’t care what the three of you eat. Oh, and an ice cold….” she saw their faces.  “Seriously? I want milk.  I have two babies to grow.  I can’t wait to tell my brother what we did.”

Later that night as they finished pizza in Danny and El’s living room, Danny rested his head on El’s shoulder.  “Brinn, remember when we joked about raising kids together?”

“Yes, I always hoped our kids could be friends like we were.”  Brinn said as she nibbled on a piece of crust Zach had left.

“Well, don’t tell my dads because they don’t know yet but we will be having a baby about six months after you have those two, hopefully.”

“Oh,” Brinn squealed and rushed over to kiss both of them.  “You two are going to be great parents.  Do you have someone….”

“We weren’t sure when we would be ready but we have looked at a couple and as we looked we found out Elliott has a cousin who he is close with and she wants to help us so as long as everything tests well….   I don’t want to tell my family until we know she's pregnant.”

“We won’t say a word.” Brinn walked over and sat on Zach’s lap.  “Now, where’s that ice cream you promised me.”