- Text Size +



 

On my next appointment with Dr. Hump, I went with Keith.

Dr. Hump joked we’d be in constant competition since we were both at the mark of seventeen weeks. He made sure to scold me for only gaining three pounds since our last appointment, where Keith managed to add seven since his last.

To my surprise, he didn’t seem to mind.

Whatever, I was content with my glorious 175.

During my ultrasound, I found out Munchkin’s wish was coming true. It would have been tough to send the baby back and demand a girl. I also remembered Justin being upset the last time about not having a girl. Well, his wish was coming true.

While the doc examined Keith, I got dressed and was about to call Justin, when Keith’s shout got my attention.

“What?” He gasped.

“What’s wrong?” I went closer.

“I said there are two heartbeats,” Dr. Hump told him gently.

“So the baby has two hearts?” I frowned.

They both turned to gape at me. I felt like an idiot when I realized what I said and what Dr. Hump had actually meant.

“Talk me out of killing Leo,” Keith begged.

“Sorry, can’t do.” I flashed him a smile.

Still dazed after the news, Keith drove me to work since we’d carpooled.

I had made him partner to help me with Babylon, because it was getting too much to divide myself between the two businesses and home. I also hired Leo as one of my photographers, and he loved the job immensely.

While Keith went to Leo, I went to my office and called Justin.

“Hey! How did it go?” He answered promptly.

“You should have been there.” I might have pouted.

“I take commissions to be able to work from home and make my own hours. We talked about this. But this was a spur of the moment thing.”

“Sit down, first. Then I’ll give you the best news.”

“Sitting.”

“This time it’s actually a Peanut. Your and Munchkin’s wish is coming true.”

“My wish? Wait. You mean…we’re having a girl?” He squealed.

“Peanut.”

“We can finally use that nickname.” He laughed. “Are we telling Munchkin?”

“Well, of course. But we need to have a long discussion with him. The last time I picked him from school, he told Evan I was making him a little sister.”

“Isn’t that true?”

“Justin, I don’t want anyone to know. I mean, besides the ones who knew the last time and now, no one else.”

“Okay, okay. What about Keith? How’s he doing?”

“You wouldn’t believe!” I laughed.

“Another girl?”

“Actually, I have no idea. The thing is…there are two,” I explained.

“Twins? Wow.”

“Better him than me. I’d have killed you in your sleep if I had twins,” I threatened lightly. “Anyway, I have to start my day. I’ve got tons to do.”

“Do I have to remind you to take it easy? We don’t want anything to happen, Brian. I’m still worried sick.”

“Don’t worry about me. Focus on your painting.”

“Love you.”

“Love you, too.”

Hanging up, I glanced to the door and choked on my spit when I saw Theodore in the doorway.

“Eavesdropping, now?”

He flushed, stepping into my office, closing the door. “No. Sorry. I wanted to ask a favor.”

“I don’t do favors to my employees,” I said seriously.

“You want me to head to Seattle to talk with that phone company.”

“Yes. You’re leaving tomorrow. I can’t fly. Obviously.”

“Exactly. Here comes my plea. Could you check in with Blake? Please?”

“Not trusting your ex-Crystal Queen boyfriend?”

“Brian!”

“What? Tell me that’s not the reason you want me to check on him. Besides, I thought he was a counselor now.”

“He is, but…”

“You’re worried. I get it. I’ll babysit him for you.” I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t be too obvious about it. Just call and ask if he needs anything? Or invite him for dinner at yours.”

“I can do it. Have some faith.”

With Theodore gone to his office, I got lost in my own work. My whole time was devoted to the BCT store these days. I wanted to win them, snag them from under Vance’s nose.

When the landline rang, I wanted to ignore it, but I knew Cynthia was going to have my ass if I didn’t pick up.

“What?”

“I have a Ms. Rosalinda on Line One.”

“Who?” Fuck. I didn’t need distractions. Ms. Rosalinda. Shit. She was the principal of Munchkin’s school. “Put her on,” I said hurriedly.

“Mr. Kinney?” The woman’s agitated voice made me sick at the stomach. Munchkin. Something was wrong with my little man.

“Yes,” I said with trepidation. “Is Patrick all right?”

“He’s fine, sir. Though, it’s two-thirty and neither of you came to collect him. I tried Mr. Taylor’s phone but it seems closed, and you never picked up yours. I tried this number in hopes to get a hold of you.”

With a shaky hand I checked my phone—five missed calls. Fuck.

“I’ll be there in ten. Can you put Patrick on the phone?”

“Of course. Here you go, sweetie. It’s your dad.”

“I don’t wanna talk to him.” I heard his whiny voice.

Awesome. My own kid hated me. “I’ll be there as fast as I can,” I told the principal.

After we hung up, I grabbed my coat, phone, and the ‘vette’s keys. Thankfully I’d left my car at work yesterday when Justin surprised me with a visit and drove us home.

“Where are you going? You have a meeting in fifteen minutes!” Cynthia called after me.

“Keep them entertained until I return. And do me a favor and get a hold of Sunshine and tell him he needs memory pills.”

I drove faster than I had in years, wavering through traffic.

Twelve minutes later, I burst into the principal’s office, gathering my little guy in a huge hug. “I’m here, Sonny Boy. We didn’t forget you.” I kissed his wet cheeks.

“You don’t want me anymore.”

“Don’t be silly.” I stood up, keeping him in my arms. “We love you very much. It was a miss-communication between your dad and me. You know your dad is busy with his new painting, and I didn’t realize he’d forget to come get you.”

“Yeah, sure,” he mumbled.

“It’s all right, Mr. Kinney. You’re not the first in this embarrassing situation.”

I shot Ms. Rosalinda a dirty look. It was easy for her to talk. She didn’t forget about her child. “It won’t happen again,” I promised. “Thank you for calling.”

“See you tomorrow, Patrick.” She smiled at him, before shaking my hand and saying good bye.

“Munchkin?” I whispered, stroking his back as I walked out of school. He didn’t react. “Come on, Munchkin. What do you want me to do so you’ll forgive me?”

“I don’t want a baby sista anymore. You’ll forget me.”

Couldn’t he ask for ice cream? “That’s difficult since…you see…you’re getting a baby sista. Isn’t it what you wanted all along?”

“Not anymore.” He scowled.

“Well, I’m sorry, but whether you want her or not, she’s going to join us in a few months.”

“Can’t you send the stork back?”

“Nope.” Damn Sunshine and his stupid stork tales. “Now, you need to stay put in the car. Are we clear? I have the ‘vette so it doesn’t have your special chair. And pray the police looks the other way,” I added under my breath.

I strapped him in the passenger seat, and drove so slowly the car must hate me, but I was freaked not having him safe in his booster seat.

At Kinnetik, I took Munchkin straight to Cynthia’s office, telling them to play nice, before I rushed to my meeting.

By the time, I was done, it was late.

I found Munchkin passed out on my couch, hugging his favorite teddy bear.

“Did you get a hold of Justin?” I asked Cynthia, ruffling through my papers on the desk.

“No. His phone is off.”

“Fuck. I’m going to strangle that twat. Take these to Ted.” I put a stack of files in her hands. “Is Keith still around here?”

“He left, but Leo is still here.”

“Good. Send him over.”

I packed our things, and by the time Leo appeared in my office, I was ready to head home.

“Come on. We’re leaving.”

“But I’m not done,” he said, surprised.

“I need a ride home. My car doesn’t have a special seat for Patrick. Get a move, Leo. I have to get my hands on Sunshine and wring his neck. He forgot about Munchkin.”

“Oh, shit.”

“Yeah. So let’s go.”

On the way home, we talked about the surprise Keith got at the doctor. Of course, Leo was exhilarated.

“I hope one of them is a boy,” he said wistfully.

“I was initially happy Munchkin is a boy. That changed when he started walking.”

“Oh, don’t be a drama queen! He’s a boy—you get him. What about us? We don’t know a thing about girls.”

I covered a laugh with a loud cough, earning a light punch in my shoulder. “What? It’s true. You should get girls.”

“If I was a tranny I might have gotten the idea of being a girl better, but no. I don’t get it. Just think that in a few years she’ll have questions about shit I have no clue about,” Leo explained.

“What’s a tranny?” Munchkin’s small, sleepy voice came from the backseat.

He was supposed to stay asleep until home.

How the fuck do I explain that?

“Uh, you know Kiki, right?” I glanced back at him. He nodded, his brows knitting in the middle of his forehead. “Well, Kiki is a tranny.” His frown deepened, but he didn’t ask anything else.

“Actually, a tranny is a man dressed as a woman,” Leo said loudly.

Actually, if you want to be real, it’s a former male turned into a woman!”

“So Kiki is a man?” Munchkin asked innocently.

“Debbie used to introduce her as Kiki the new waitress, formerly Kenny the waiter,” I said.

“I didn’t know,” he said mournfully.

“You weren’t even born then.” I laughed. Or planned.

“Oh. So Kiki is really old?”

Leo chuckled, eyeing me curiously.

How do I dig myself out of the age issue? “Why don’t you ask her next time we go to the diner? Now, say goodbye to Leo.”

“Bye, Leo,” he repeated, giggling.

“Thanks for driving us.” I helped Munchkin out of the car, and he rushed to the door, falling only twice. I waved to Leo, shuffling after my crazy kid.

By the time I reached him, he was knocking on the front door.

“Hold on, Munchkin. Dada’s busy. You know he never hears the door when he’s in his—”

The door opened while I was digging in my briefcase for the keys.

Justin had a huge smile on his face, his clothes covered in various colors, half of his hair an odd shade of red, with a few green strands, his hands also a multitude of colors.

“What else did you touch?” I inquired, ushering Patrick inside.

“Nothing. I opened the door with my foot.” He beamed. “And I heard it, ye of little faith, because I was on my way to grab some water.”

“With your foot?” I rolled my eyes. “Anyway, what do I have here?” I pointed to Munchkin.

“Is that a trick question?” Justin squatted to Munchkin’s level. “Give me a kiss.”

“No.” He stomped away in search of the dog, probably.

“What the fuck?” Justin stood, staring in surprise after our kid.

“Serves you right. If you didn’t have time to get him, you should have called me to go.”

“Holy shit!”

“Yeah. Ms. Rosalinda called you, and you never picked up. Then I did. Well, Cynthia did.”

“I think my phone died after we talked. I heard it beeping, but I was busy. I’m done now, though. This one turned awesome!”

“So no more forgetting about Munchkin?” I cupped his cheek.

Justin nodded seriously. “I’m going to grovel. I also made biscuits in between my painting sessions.”

“You get golden points in the Super Dad Handbook.” I kissed him fondly on the forehead.

Chapter End Notes:

Until next time. Hopefully sooner than the last time.