- Text Size +



 

Only three hours later I was able to leave Kinnetik.

Munchkin trailed after me, sulking, making it plain clear we weren’t on speaking terms. It wasn’t my fault I had to organize their shit, because my teams never heard of making a plan before tackling a new project.

After depositing Ruby in her car seat, I rounded to Patrick’s side. I leaned over the open window, brushing the hair out of his eyes.

“I know you’re hungry and tired and upset with me, but this is work, kiddo. I had to be here.”

He huffed, folding his arms across his chest, pouting adorably.

“Look, we’re going to Debbie’s. I bet she has some fabulous meal cooked, and you can show her this adorable pout so we’ll get extra for home.”

He shot me an exasperated look, before rolling his eyes.

I had to think fast of something to mollify him, or when we’d get to Debbie’s he’d rattle on me, whining about what a shitty dad I was. It was nothing she didn’t know, though.

“How about when we get home and after I put Peanut to bed, you and I put some of the great tennis men to shame?”

His eyes lit up and he nodded eagerly.

I beamed, kissing his forehead, before getting behind the wheel.

On the way to Debbie’s, the car was filled with the ringtone I had for Justin. I accepted it quickly, and before I could say anything, Munchkin squealed loudly.

“Dada!! I miss you!”

“Any louder and the people in Australia would hear you,” I muttered. “Hey, Justin.”

“Hey, guys! So I’m on speaker?”

“You guessed right. We’re in the car,” I explained.

“Oh, that explains it.”

“Huh?” I stopped at a red light. “What explains, what?”

“Nothing, nothing. So where are you going?”

“To Grandma Debbie to pout for food!”

I shot Munchkin a warning look through the rearview mirror. He smirked back.

“Brian,” Justin groaned. “We talked about using the kids to get what you want.”

“What I want right now is a juicy steak, but I doubt Munchkin can help with it. I still have to use my charms so they’d make it just right.”

“Ew!! And watch what you say around them.”

“What did I say? I’d give my left kidney for a steak, medium rare, like they used to make at my favorite steak house, which they closed last year.” I groaned at the injustice in the world.

“Oh, steak, as in food! I thought you wanted a stick as in…you know…”

“Of course, you did. That’s all you think of,” I joked.

“Not true. I squeeze in some time to think of my kids and my paintings too.”

“Of course, but mostly you have one thing only on your mind: D-I-C-K. Mine, especially.” I laughed.

“You suck.”

“True.” I laughed some more, trying to concentrate on driving. “So how’s New York?”

“Same. This guy is crazy, but I’ll do my best to paint whatever he wants. He’s my best client and always pays handsomely.”

“Then suck it up, Sunshine.”

“He has a nephew here in the Pitts and wants me to do him naked.”

“What?” I sputtered, parking in front of Debbie’s house. I detached the phone from the car set, pressing it to my ear. “Did you tell him you don’t do nudes unless the subject is moi?”

“I tried to explain.” I could hear him gulping thickly. “Brian, he offered me fifty grand.”

“What? Are you shitting me?” I opened Munchkin’s door, and he jumped out of the car, grinning.

“No, that’s why I told him I’ll call with an answer after I talked with my partner. Of course, he wasn’t too pleased, but fuck it. This is huge.”

I picked Peanut in my free arm, shutting the door with my foot. “Can you reach in my pocket and take the keys and lock up?” I asked Munchkin. “Uh, I don’t know, Justin. Do you want to do this?”

“Fifty grand….let me think? How about yes?” His voice dripped sarcasm.

“Thanks, Munchkin. Go and ring the bell, now. But it’s nude,” I added to Justin, feeling the green-eyed monster inside me eat at my gut.

“Using Patrick again?” He laughed.

“Shut up, twat! My hands are full. Don’t change the subject.”

“What do you want me to do? Turn down the opportunity of a life-time? No one will ever offer me this again.”

“Then why the fuck did you call to ask my opinion when it’s clear you have your mind set on being around this naked guy for endless hours for fuck knows how long?”

The door opened to reveal Carl. He smiled, ushering us inside.

Munchkin made a bee-line to Debbie, turning his charm on. “We’re hungry.”

I cringed, expecting a lecture à la Debbie, but it never came, thankfully. She only offered to take Peanut from me, while I slumped on the sofa.

“You know what, Justin? Knock yourself out. Go for it, but don’t come crying to me when this turns out bigger than it seems.”

“What’s that supposed to mean,” he snapped, clearly angry I wasn’t sharing his excitement over this. “I want to earn my own money.”

“You already do! And by accepting this, you’re not making more money. You’re making a huge fucking mistake!”

“Just because you’re jealous, it won’t make me change my mind. Unless you come up with a better argument, I’m calling Mr. Graham and accepting his offer.”

“You’re not a whore!” Debbie shot me a confused look, making me slip through the back door, into the garden. “Look, Sunshine. You don’t have to do this. There will be other offers—bigger, better, less disgusting.”

He took a shuddering breath. “But I want to help with Munchkin’s school too, not only buy groceries or pay the bills. This is more than I imagined ever getting on a commission.”

“Because it’s downright denigrating, Justin. Can you tell that asshole that unless he changes the terms, as in you paint that guy dressed, it’s not a deal? You wanted my opinion, well here it is: NO.”

“Brian…”

“I won’t let you do this,” I hissed.

“You won’t let me?” Justin laughed nervously. “Since when do you take decisions about what I can or cannot do?”

“Since when you can’t think straight! Can you please think of the consequences? Say, you do this. Word would get around—did you hear that Taylor kid does nudes?—just think about it, Justin. You’d be labeled as…something.”

“I didn’t think about that,” he mumbled. “Well, shit.”

“You didn’t say yes, did you,” I asked fearfully.

“No, not yet.”

I sighed in relief. “Well, good. Tell him no. So what if you lose this Graham dude as a client? There are plenty fish in the water, Sunshine. Come on, use your brain. I lost many clients, or terminated our contracts, just because I knew we’d get nowhere together. Even though the separation cost me a pretty penny, but I found bigger accounts, or smaller and better.”

“What would I do without you?”

“I shudder to think what troll could have picked you up that night and taken advantage of your sincere inexperience,” I said seriously.

“You, ass!”

“What about my ass? It’s the forbidden land, remember?”

“Fuck off,” he muttered, but I could hear the laughter in his voice. “Can I talk to Munchkin?”

“Hold on, he’s with Debbie. So we agree to disagree with Graham’s offer?”

“Yes, Brian. After we hang up, I’ll let him know unless he wants me to do anything else, I won’t paint his nephew naked.”

“Good boy,” I praised, stepping inside. “Hey, Munchkin, dada wants to talk to you.”

He abandoned his plate, rushing to me. I handed him the phone, and he immediately started talking to Justin about anything and everything.

I sat in his seat at the table, picking at the vegetables he’d pushed around.

“Everything okay?” Debbie stroked my hair.

“He’s killing me,” I muttered, glancing to Patrick. “He’s such a smart-ass, I wonder where he learned that.”

She chuckled. “Between you and Sunshine, I’d be worried if he was a polite, little kid.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.” I shoved a meatball in my mouth. “Can you pack some food for us? You know, in case we get hungry later?”

“Already did. If you haven’t dropped by, I’d have had Carl drive me there later.”

“Thanks, Deb. You’re a lifesave—”

“Dada wants to talk to you. He’s upset.” Munchkin pushed the phone in my direction, smiling innocently.

“What the f… did you tell him,” I hissed, snatching the phone.

“Nothing.”

“Yeah, right. Like I believe you. Justin, whatever he told you, it’s a lie,” I said into the phone, getting up from the table and heading outside again. This time, in front of the house.

“You’re starving them!” He accused me in a scandalized voice.

“Of course.” I rolled my eyes.

“And you cursed around them!”

“Keep on screaming, by all means.”

“And you let Munchkin climb on the chair to get a glass! That’s so fucking irresponsible, Brian! He could have fallen and…”

“I was trying to joggle between keeping track of him and making him play quietly, because Peanut was sleeping, while I was busy working. So excuse me, if I can’t see through walls.”

“How can I do it? And you cursed! A lot. He told me over thirty times.”

“You’re a multitasking twat. And I curse. You can’t expect me to simply stop.”

“Uh, yes! I do expect you to stop cursing.” He snorted. “Since when do you smoke? I thought we quit that shit ages ago.”

My hand froze on my cigarettes, then I looked around suspiciously. “Who said I’m smoking?”

“My vision is still 20/20, old man.” I swiped my surroundings again, and then I spotted him across the street, leaning against the ‘vette, grinning from ear to ear.

“How long have you been there?” I demanded, striding to him.

“Long enough,” he whispered, hanging up and throwing his arms around me.

I lifted him up, squeezing him tightly. “You’re back early.”

“I had a feeling you’d get in trouble without me around. I was right.”

I chuckled, pressing my nose into his hair. “Missed you.”

“Missed you, too.” He pulled away a little, taking my face in his hands and kissing me deeply. “Do you think there’s a chance for us to be alone in bed tonight?”

“I highly doubt it. Munchkin’s moved in our room. We have a dozen stuffed animals in bed and his blankie.”

“Aw, man! As much as I missed him and Peanut, I’d rather not share you tonight. I want to be plowed in the mattress.”

“Can be arranged. We can lock the door.”

“The last time you locked the door, Munchkin stayed on the other side crying until we stopped trying to fuck and brought him inside.”

“Then we can leave them with Debbie. I’m sure she won’t say no.”

“Oh, yeah. They’d cry until they drive her crazy and she brings them home.”

I nudged the side of his face. “I really need to fuck you like in the good old days. Is that too much to ask?”

“How about tonight is reserved for the big reunion with the kids and you, then tomorrow, we can ship them off to Keith’s or Debbie’s or Michael’s, and we’d be blissfully alone. All day. I miss fucking outside the bedroom.”

“It’s a date.” I beamed. “Now, let’s surprise everyone.”

“What? No suspense? Won’t you rather go inside and tell Munchkin he upset me so much I've decided to stay in New York?”

“I’ve already been shitty enough with him today. I let him get hurt, then I told him you won’t make him goodies if he ratted me out to you.”

“Shit, Brian! He’s six, did you somehow forget about that? He believes every word you say.”

“Like I said, I’ve been a shit to him enough.” I curled my fingers around Justin’s, leading the way into Debbie’s house.

Justin leaned into my side, kissing my cheek soundly. “You’re not a shitty dad. You’re the best. The kids love you to bits, just like I do.”

I smiled, despite myself. He always knew how to make me feel better when I thought I was a failure. “I love you too,” I whispered in his ear, kissing that spot behind it, making him shudder.

He opened the door, and only managed a step inside when Munchkin barreled to him, attaching to his legs. “Dada! Dada! Dada!”

Justin dropped my hand to lift Munchkin up and give him the customary Eskimo kiss, making him dissolve into a fit of giggles.

“Did you bring him from New York?” Debbie joked.

“Yeah, I’m quick like that.” I rolled my eyes. “Is there more mashed potatoes left?”

“I already reheated some so you can feed Ruby. You know, you have to get her used to being fed by others too, right?”

“Yeah, I have to go meet some clients out of state soon. Don’t make me think of that moment,” I muttered, accepting the bowl and spoon. I settled on the sofa next to Peanut who was in Carl’s arms, sucking on her thumb. “Come here, Peanut.” I placed her on my lap, offering her a spoonful of mashed potatoes.

Justin threw himself next to us with Munchkin still attached to him, now around his neck. “And how’s my princess?” He tickled her tummy.

Ruby kicked out her feet, nailing Munchkin in the shoulder, earning a cry of protest from him. “Hey!” He scowled at her.

“You can play after I feed her,” I told Justin. “She’s worse than you when it’s about food.”

He grinned, rubbing Patrick’s shoulder absently.

“You hungry, honey?” Debbie jumped to put a plate together for Justin.

“A little. Did you eat?” He raised an eyebrow at me.

“No, a twat kept me on the phone.”

“He must be punished,” he whispered in my ear. “Such a bad boy.”

I laughed. “Oh, don’t you worry. Tomorrow he’ll scream so loud everyone can hear what a naughty boy he’s been.”

“Looking forward to it.” He placed his head on my shoulder.

Peanut’s eyes zoomed to him, noticing how close he was to me. She had jealously issues, and she was only thirteen months old. She didn’t like sharing me.

On my next spoonful to her mouth, she turned her head away, before reaching for Justin.

We stared in disbelief. Even Debbie and Carl watched the scene with surprise.

Munchkin slid between us when Justin took Peanut in his arms, holding her close to his chest. “Want me to try,” he asked tentatively, taking the spoon from my hand.

I was afraid of the outcome, but I allowed him to try feeding her. She opened her mouth eagerly when she saw the food closer to her. She chewed a little, before swallowing and beaming at Justin.

He met my eyes, pride and tears reflected in his blues, before he looked down at Peanut and dropped a kiss to her head.

She slapped the hand holding the spoon, touching her mouth with the other. The gesture made everyone laugh. Peanut frowned at us, slapping Justin’s hand again.

“Foooooood!”

He grabbed the bowl from my hand, feeding her another spoonful. She smiled up at him, chewing happily.

“When I thought it couldn’t get any better, it did.” He sniffed, smiling tearfully.

“Dada is silly,” Munchkin mumbled, catching my eye.

“But we love him even silly, right?”

“Speak for yourself.”

We all burst out laughing at his remark.

“Munchkin, we talked about your smart mouth hours ago,” I chided him lightly.

He chose to ignore me, fixating Debbie with his most charming smile. “You told me something about cookies after I eat, Grandma Deb. Do I still get them?”

“I give up.” I slumped further in the couch.

Debbie offered him three chocolate chip cookies, and I watched with horror as he tried stuffing all of them in his mouth. We weren’t going to sleep tonight.

“What do you say,” Justin inquired, not lifting his eyes from his task of feeding Peanut.

“Thanks,” Munchkin mumbled, dragging the word out as if it literally hurt him to say it.

“He needs your mom’s WASPy influence, or Lindsay’s.”

Justin caught my eyes, grinning. “Hey, kiddo!” Munchkin ignored him. “How would you like to spend tomorrow with your big brother?”

He shrugged. “I guess I miss Gus.”

“You do. You told me so last night,” I butted in.

“And you miss Peanut, don’t you?” Justin gave Debbie a hopeful look. “You and my mom can play the dotting grandmas.”

“Since when do you two play the subtle card? Just say you need some time alone. The whole family is here to help, you know that. We’ve supported you since you got pregnant with Patrick, Brian. God knows we understand you need some time alone, especially you two. You’ve always had a physical relationship.”

I shared a look with Justin, and he seemed just as perplexed by Debbie’s outburst. “Okay, next time we’ll drop the kids here, letting you know we need to fuck like bunnies.”

“Brian!” Justin gasped, slapping my chest.

“Foook.”

I stared at Peanut in shock, cringing inwardly. Fucking shit.

“BRIAN!”

“I love you?” I smiled at Justin.

He huffed. “Just for this, we cancel all the plans for tomorrow.”

“What? No! You can’t!” I panicked. Shit.

“Watch me,” he barked.

“I was beginning to worry you haven’t fought once in the past half an hour,” Debbie joked. “If you change your mind, sweetie, I’d still like to babysit tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Deb, but I missed them a lot. I’d like to stay with all of them tomorrow.” He smiled tensely. “You’re such an asshole, Brian,” he muttered to me.

“Asss-hooole.”

“Fuck,” he cursed loudly, glaring at me as if it was my fault Peanut repeated what he’d said.

“I say we’re even. Our plans stand.”

Justin scowled at me. “I’m not speaking to you.”

Peanut grabbed his nose, making me laugh. “Assss-hooole. Foook!”

“We’re the world’s worst parents. Ever.” Justin threw his head back over the back of the couch.

“My first word was shit, if my mother didn’t lie about it,” I supplied. “So we should be lucky her first word was da-da. Now she’s only developing her vocabulary.”

“With curse worse,” Justin moaned, throwing an arm over his eyes.

“Stop being a drama princess. How about we head home? Spare Debbie and Carl of our little family dramas.”

“It’s like a never-ending free show. By all means, stay more. It’s always entertaining to be around you.” Debbie laughed.

“See you tomorrow, then.” Justin got up to kiss her cheek, then shook Carl’s hand. “You drive the ‘vette.” He handed me the keys.

“Bye!” I grinned at them, grabbing the food and Munchkin’s hand. “Come on, kiddo.”