- Text Size +




I rearranged his tie, brushing his hair once again, smiling proudly as I took a step back.

“Gorgeous,” I declared.

Patrick scowled at his reflection in the mirror. His eyes raked over the way he looked, before his scowl deepened. “I look like a troll.”


“Ex-fu... Excuse me! I wear a suit and tie every day at work. Are you trying to say something?” I scoffed, pulling him closer to put his new shoes on his feet.

“Look at me! This ugly blue is not even my color!”

“It's bluemarine, dark blue. It goes with your eyes.”

“Maybe Dada falls for that. I don't.”

I raked a hand through my hair. “Watch out that smart mouth of yours. Remember? You have to behave like a big boy in school.”

“I don't want to go to school!”

“Are we ready?” Justin asked from the doorway, holding Ruby on his hip.

“Are we?” I caught Munchkin's eye.

He turned to Justin, pouting. “I don't want to go to stupid school! Look at me. I look like a troll! Daddy lost his sense of fashion.”

And then he proceeded to tug at the tie, making me groan and reach to slap his hands away. It took me no less than ten minutes to get it fixed.

“Stop being a drama princess. You'll love school. You liked pre-school. Now you're finally a big boy.” I worked on his tie again, catching Justin's eye above Patrick's head.

“What's up, honey? I thought you wanted school to start,” Justin whispered, coming to kneel by my side.

“Pretty Pat.” Ruby smiled, pointing to her brother.

“See? Even Ruby likes the way you look.”

“She thinks everything is pretty no matter how hideous that thing is,” he pointed out. “Dada, make Daddy understand I can't wear this!”

“You look handsome, kiddo. This new haircut looks very nice on you.” Justin winked.

“It does not! I liked my longer hair!”

Justin sighed loudly. “Let's go! You're going to meet new people. It's going to be great.”

“You both guys suck.” Patrick stomped out of the room, slamming the door shut.

His gesture made me laugh, but I sobered quickly when I saw the concerned look in Justin's eyes. “What's up?” I stood up, brushing my pants, then I picked Ruby from him. “Hi, my little princess.”

“Busy Daddy.”

That was true. I barely stayed with her five minutes since we woke up two hours ago. “I'm all yours now that your brother is ready for his big day.”

“Brian, I'm worried. Munchkin has been like this for a couple of days.”

“It's cold feet before the start of school.”

“It's more than that. Something's up. Can't you see? He's petulant and stubborn, but never to such lengths. He usually takes compliments better than...better than you, for fuck's sake. Can't you see something's wrong?”

Justin's words made worry eat at my gut. He was right. I'd been ignoring all the facts staring me in the face.

“Let's see what crawled up your brother's ass and died there,” I said as lightly as I could, keeping Peanut securely to my chest as I strolled out of his room.

“The fuck? Where is he?” I wondered, looking around the living room, sun room, kitchen, everywhere downstairs. “Patrick?” I called out. “We don't have time to play.”

“I'll take Ruby to the car, while you find him,” Justin offered, prying Peanut from my arms.

“Patrick! Come out! We don't have time for games,” I shouted, hoping he'd understand time was tight. When there was no answer, I pushed away the worry and started the quest for my errant son.

“Hey, come with me,” Justin said from the doorway of the sun room, scaring the shit out of me.

“I still haven't found Patrick.”

“I have. Come on. And be quiet.” He took my hand, leading me to the garage. “He was in the backseat, safebelt buckled, and with a big scowl on his face.”

“What the fuck?”

“Do you want to stay in the back with them? Maybe you can find out what's up. I don't mind driving.”

“Sure.” I kissed him, because it seemed we weren't even doing that often enough lately, before I slid next to my little man.

“Why are you here?” He demanded.

I shot him an amused look. “Where should I be?”

“Up front with Dada.”

“Alright, children. Buckle up for a safe ride,” Justin joked, catching my eye in the rearview mirror.

“Go up front with Dada.” Munchkin pushed against my shoulder.

“I want to stay here with you.” I buckled up after I checked his safebelt then Peanut's car-seat.

He ignored me, fiddling with the end of the tie.

Five minutes into the ride, Ruby was in her little world, playing with the plush bunny, waving it around and babbling loudly. Until Patrick snatched it from her, throwing it on the passenger seat, effectively making her burst in tears.

“Why would you do that?” I groaned, accepting the bunny from Justin who instinctively threw it back a second later. “Here, baby. Your brother is being mean today.” I put the bunny back in Ruby's hand, stroking her head soothingly. “Do you care to explain what's up with you?”

“She was hitting me.”

“Yes, I bet it hurt. It's made of metal and it left bruises,” I said as sarcastically as possible.

“You always find excuses for her! It's all about precious Peanut. You don't give a shit about me.”

“Patrick, would you control that potty mouth?” Justin snapped. “And how can you say that? We give more than a shit about you, to put it in your words.”

I was glad Justin decided to answer, because I was too shocked to form words.

I had no idea he felt like that. Most importantly, I had no idea why he felt like that.

It was true that we'd been onto Peanut most of the time, but I was still worried about her. I doubt I'd ever stop worrying about her after the horrible first few months of her life. But that didn't mean I didn't love Munchkin just as much.

“Really,” he muttered, folding his arms against his chest. “You won't make my favorite cookie because you'd rather make some stupid thing that she can eat too. You won't play with me anymore, instead you'd spend all your time with her. You won't care if she breaks something or does some deed, but you'd take my eyes out if I knock something over. Just say you don't love me anymore.” By the end of his little speech, his lower lip was trembling.

“Patrick,” I choked out, wrapping an arm around him. “Is that how you feel? Fuck. Why didn't you say something?”

“We still love you, kiddo,” Justin said softly. “We discussed this. Your sister is little and demands most of our attention, but you'll never be second best.”

“I didn't want to believe Gus, but he is right. He told me this would happen.”

“What?” I gaped. “You mean he feels the same?” I couldn't believe I had no clue about this problem. The discussions my kids had were worrying me.

“And now you send me to stupid school so you'll have more time with stupid Ruby.”

“Munchkin, that's not true. Everyone goes to school. You'll see that your sister will go to school too in a few years.”

“And by then you might make another little sister to take her place.”

Justin groaned, parking on the side of the road and turning around to face us. “We still love you. You might not see it or understand it now, but we do. Just because we spend more time with Ruby, which isn't true, or we coddle her too much, it's not because we're not upset when she breaks something. She's younger than you and she doesn't understand what she's doing, but you are old enough to know better than to do some bad deed. Which I know you do because you think you're not getting enough attention.”

Patrick eyed him curiously, his cheeks pinking.

“I'm onto you, kiddo. Been there, done that.” Justin squeezed Patrick's knee. “Can we continue on to school? You don't want to be late on your first day.”

“I guess,” he mumbled, still eyeing him confused.

I was grateful Justin knew how to skirt over this crises. He'd been through this as a child himself.

I couldn't say I'd been there too. I should have been the coddled child being the youngest, but love was the last thing I felt in that house. Most of the feelings revolved around fear and hate.

I never wanted any of my children to feel anything like that.

When we arrived at school, I thought Patrick's tantrum was over. No suck luck.

After the ceremony at the beginning of the school year, each teacher came to get their class. There were some children crying or clinging to their parents, but none of them were laying on the ground, screaming at the top of their lungs that they were being abandoned.

Patrick's teacher, a nice lady in her late fifties, approached us. I was sure she was going to tell us to nicely leave and take our demon with us, but it wasn't the case.

“Hello. I'm Sheila O'Conner. I see there's some trouble with leaving your son.”

I took over the polite greeting, considering Justin was currently crouched to Patrick's side, trying to shush him. “Hello. I'm Brian Kinney, and this is Justin Taylor. You two talked a few weeks ago, I think.”

“Oh, right. I remember now. I was under the impression your son was used to school.”

“He is. He attended pre-school, but I guess it's cold feet,” I joked.

“Don't worry. I have students crying for weeks after the school starts. He's coming after spending the whole summer with you, I know he will adapt pretty fast to the new schedule.”

I became aware of how quiet it was. Munchkin had stopped screaming, and I didn't want to know what kind of bribery Justin had to do.

“Acting like a big boy, now? Christ, Patrick, look at your clothes!” I leaned closer to brush the dust off his pants.

He pushed my hands away, scowling, then he fixated Justin with an icy look. “Don't forget what you promised. I'm going now.” He sulked toward the school entrance.

“Good morning, Mrs. O'Conner. I'm so sorry you had to assist to that. I hope it won't happen again,” Justin apologized, greeting the teacher.

“Don't worry, sir. Like I told your partner, it happens quite often.”

“Let's hope not,” I muttered.

“I have to go to greet my new class. Don't forget, one o'clock is pick-up time.” She waved merrily to us, before disappearing inside the school.

I picked Peanut from where she was standing by my legs, like a good little child, unlike her brother. I kissed her cheek, walking along Justin back to the car.

“Do I want to know what you had to promise him to make him quiet down?” I wondered.

“I offered to take him for his favorite sundae at the diner, but he seized the opportunity to ask for...”

“Not a pony! For my sanity's sake.” I focused on buckling Ruby in her seat, before I turned to face Justin. “So?”

“It's not a pony. You wish it was the pony.”

“Did he ask for a trip to the moon?”

Justin shuffled, avoiding eye-contact.

“What is it?” I demanded, not having time and patience to deal with this at the moment.

I was on my way around the car to get behind the wheel when he answered.

“A gun.”

“To soak us with water? I don't think so,” I answered disinterested. “I hope you said no.” I slid behind the wheel, and glanced at Justin. He was awfully quiet.

“Like a real gun.”

“What do you mean he wants a real gun,” I snapped.

“He said that way he'd make sure he's our favorite again, and then he'll help Gus.”

“I'm not following.”

Justin groaned. “You can't be that dense, Brian! He more or less wants a gun to kill his sister.”

“WHAT? Shit,” I hissed when Ruby started whimpering at my raised voice. I put her bunny in her hands, stroking her leg, before focusing on Justin. “What did you tell him?”

“I...”

“Said no,” I supplied in a questioning tone.

“Said...”

“NO!”

“I said we'll talk about it when he comes home.”

“Are you crazy? You know he'll expect to have his wish granted, right?”

“We need to find something to do that will take his mind off it. Something fun to do with both of them.”

“Go practice target shooting?”

“Brian, can you be serious?”

“Who, me? You're the one who promised our son we'd get him a gun so he could kill his sister.”

“I didn't.”

My phone started ringing, and I saw it was a number I didn't know, but still answered. Before the other person could talk, I knew it was Patrick's teacher, I could hear his screams.

“I'll be right there,” I said, hanging up. “Stay here, I'm going to get Patrick. He's throwing a tantrum. And if he still demands the gun, I'll tell him if I get one I'll use it on him.”

Not surprisingly, I found my demon child laying flat on the ground crying in the middle of the class room.

For fuck's sake!

I seized his arm, hoisting him up. “Hello, brat. What's with this behavior?”

He clung to me, sobbing into my thigh.

I couldn't stay mad at him when his tears went right to my heart. Sighing, I lifted him in my arms, hugging him. “I'm here, kiddo. Stop crying.”

“Do you think he'll be okay in a few minutes if you talk to him?” The teacher asked.

“Uh, I doubt it. If it's not too much trouble, I'll take him now and bring him back tomorrow.”

“I don't want back!” Patrick whimpered into my ear.

“Alright, Mr. Kinney. I wasn't expecting to do much today anyway. We'll see you tomorrow, and I hope you'll feel better, Patrick,” she addressed him with a smile.

“Say goodbye now,” I demanded.

“Bye,” he mumbled, not even looking at her.

After gathering his school bag, I left with him in my arms. “What's wrong with making new friends? You kept talking about school starting and making new friends, remember?”

“I want to stay with you.”

“Munchkin, you know that you can't. You have to go to school. And if this is about Ruby, let me tell you that soon she'll go to preschool too, and I'll be able to return full time to work. You'll spend more time with dada, since he's working from home.”

“What about the gun?”

“You were joking, weren't you?”

“No, but if you won't do that –”

“Of course, I won't!”

“Then I want to spend the whole day with you and dada. No whiny Ruby.”

“I'm afraid that's impossible. Though, I'll make you a deal. We'll do whatever you want today...that won't include harming your sister,” I added, having a feeling he'd demanded something along the lines.

“There goes my plan to throw her in the river.”

“Patrick,” I groaned, exasperated, opening the car's back door. “You have time to think of what you want until we reach the diner.”

oOo

When we took a seat in an empty booth at the diner, I was the only one not looking at the menu. Even Ruby was looking at the one Justin was holding. She'd probably decide what she wanted based on the pictures.

My heart jumped when Patrick put his menu down and fixed his eyes on me.

Here we go.

I raised an eyebrow when he didn't say anything.

He smirked evilly.

“So let's hear it. Tell us what you decided,” I said in a small voice, afraid of the outcome.

“First, I want an omelet with a lot of cheese and ham.”

“Can be arranged.” Justin grinned, waving for the new bus boy to join us.

“Second, I want to go shopping.” Patrick's smirk deepened.

Shopping was his way to punish us. It had always worked, ever since he was a baby.

“Let's focus on eating and then you can share more of your list with us,” I suggested.

The bus boy stopped at our table, jotting down everything Justin was telling him. With him gone, Justin turned to Peanut who was getting bored and was on her way to throw a tantrum.

“Next, I'll be hungry,” Patrick said loudly, getting my attention.

“We're going to eat whenever Billy brings our food,” I pointed out.

“I meant after the shopping.”

“Of course.”

“So I want to go to that nice restaurant you took dada when you left us at Kira's.”

“That's an adult restaurant.” They had a strict policy against young children, which meant Patrick was smarter than I ever gave him credit.

“They allow children over seven years old.”

“You're not seven just yet,” Justin quipped up, equally evil smirk in place. “Another week until then.”

Patrick gaped at him, not expecting that answer. It was fun watching him stammer.

“You promised to take me there,” he whined, his eyes on me.

“When you're older, yes.”

“NOW!”

“Pooh!” Ruby clapped. “Play at Pooh!”

Patrick scowled at her. “We're not going to that stupid restaurant. It's for babies!”

He used to love that food establishment until not that long ago. It had the staff dressed in all kinds of cartoon characters making it fun for the kids; they could play and eat there. We used to spend most of the day there, but apparently he'd outgrown the Fairytale Land.

“I told you we have to choose something that is suitable for your sister too,” I reminded him.

“Then we're going to my favorite store and you'll get me whatever I want as an early birthday present.”

“Or, we can take you back to school if you keep being a brat,” Justin muttered. “Why didn't you leave him there? He has to get used to stay in school, be away from us, and not get his way all the fucking time!”

“You are the one who promised him a gun to off his sister,” I snapped.

“I didn't promised him anything. I said we'd talk about it when he was out of school!”

“I'm out of school now and I still want it,” Patrick quipped up.

I turned to glare at him, making him shrink under the table, lip trembling.

Billy chose that moment to bring our food, but I stopped him from placing it on the table. “Wrap it up. We're not staying.”

“Where are we going?” Patrick whispered as I led the way back to the car, a few minutes later.

“I'm taking you where you belong—in school. Next, I'm dropping Justin and Ruby at home, and then I'm going to work. And for the tantrum you just pulled, don't expect much on your birthday.”

“What? You can't be serious!”

“Patrick, I'm sick of this,” I hissed. “I don't care if you see that blackmailing work for adults, but you can't use it on us. You've always done it. When you didn't get your way, you found another way to get what you wanted. Well, no longer. Watch me care if you throw yourself on the floor, crying your lungs out.”

“B-b-ut Daaaaddy!”

“No. Get in the car. Now.” After making sure he was buckled up, I slammed the door shut. “I'm driving,” I muttered when I found Justin next to me at the front door.

He touched my arm, eyeing me concerned. “What's wrong? I know it's more than Patrick being a brat.”

“I'm sick and tired to hear him whine about various stuff. I hate myself for caving to everything he wants.”

“Oh, so you're mad at yourself? Don't take it out on him.”

“I'm not,” I mumbled, glancing over my shoulder into the car. “Fuck!” I snatched the door open, grabbing Patrick hand. “What the fuck is wrong with you?” I leaned over him and picked Ruby, cuddling her close as I straightened. I checked her arm where she had her brother's nail marks. “That's it, Patrick. When you get home this evening, we have new rules!”

“What are you doing?” Justin watched me curiously as I took Ruby's bag along with my briefcase.

“I'm going to work and I'm taking Ruby with me. You take him to school. If I'm around him for another minute, I won't be held responsible for my actions.”

“See what you did?” Justin muttered. “You managed to upset daddy.”

“I'll see you later,” I told Justin, kissing him, before heading toward Kinnetik. “Hurts?” I checked, stroking Ruby's bruised arm.

She nodded, sniffing.

“Aw, fuck. I'll take care of it when we get to work, okay? I have no idea what's up with your brother. He's crazy.”

“Mean Pat.”

“Yeah, mean puts it mildly.”

oOo

A few hours later, I was focused on my new account, so when my phone pinged, I jumped startled.

From: Justin Taylor
To: Brian Kinney
Date: September 3, 2011 12:12
Subject: Munchkin

Brian,

Don't be mad, but I didn't take Patrick to school. He was super distraught after you left. I took him to the park and we walked around...

On the upside, I found out what's wrong. Besides, us kissing Ruby's ass all day long....his words, not mine....he feels like when he goes to school he doesn't get to spend any time with us. He thinks we'll forget about him.

He still thinks we love Ruby more, which is absurd.

Anyway, you'll be proud of him that not once he tried to bribe me to forgive him. He actually said the words “I'm sorry, Dada.” I told him that he should tell you that, not me.

I guess you really scared him with your storming away and with your little speech, because he promised to stop blackmailing us. All that he wants is to spend time with us like before. That went straight to my heart, and I know it went to yours too. I wasn't aware we were spending so much time with Ruby.

The downside, because there is one too... while we were in the park, I got a call from Mark. He wants me in Phoenix for a show next weekend. You know what that is? Munchkin's birthday. And I can't get out of this one, I kept saying no lately when he wanted me to travel.

So I have a proposition. Family trip. I bet Munchkin will love it. It will be the best birthday present ever.

Do you want me to come get you around 3pm from work? We're at the museum now so it might take a while.

Love,

JT


To be honest, I had no idea how I managed to scream like that at Patrick to begin with. I guess I'd reached my limit to be manipulated by the little brat, but on the other hand, I couldn't say no to him. It made me hate myself.

How could other parents do it?

I had to learn from Lindsay and Melanie. They kept Gus and JR in control, unlike us.

I feared of the way Ruby would turn out, but so far she'd been a little angel. Her brother was compensating in naughtiness.

Justin's suggestion of a trip sounded promising. People usually bonded differently when they were other places together, aside from home.

I summoned Cynthia in my office, and she appeared in the doorway promptly.

“What's up?”

I pressed a finger to my lips, nodding to Ruby who was sleep on the couch. “Come closer,” I whispered. “Do I have anything important planned for the next Friday and coming Monday?”

“Besides the fast food company? No.”

“Shit. Have Ted work on that.”

Cynthia gave me an amused look. “I thought you wanted to talk to them yourself.”

“I've changed my mind. I'll be out of office that weekend. I might leave on Thursday and be back next Tuesday. Haven't decided yet.”

“Are you taking Patrick somewhere for his birthday?”

I shrugged. “Sort of. We're accompanying Justin to his show in Phoenix.”

“Sounds fun.” She smiled. “I can clear your schedule. Just let me know exactly what days you want off.”

“You'll know in a few hours when Justin comes to get us.” When I noticed she didn't leave, I raised a brow. “That's all.”

“Are you... Is everything okay?”

“Yes, why do you ask?”

“You've been off since you arrived. And it's unlike you to bring Ruby here.”

“If you must know, I had a fight with Munchkin and apparently Justin patched him up. He should have come with a handbook, because I have no idea what I'm doing half of the time.”

“Brian, that's normal. No one knows how to raise a child, they learn along the way.”

“Yeah, but the average parent keeps their child in control and doesn't cave every time they cry or pout. I'm doing this wrong.... and well, it bites me in the ass at the worst times. Like today.”

“Wasn't today his first day of school?”

“Yeah, and he threw a tantrum bigger than him about being abandoned, about us not loving him, demanding a gun to kill his sister, then trying to get his way and do whatever he wanted today, and it all concluded with him scratching Ruby's arm.”

“Okay, so maybe you gave in to his every whim, but it's because you love him,” she said softly. “It doesn't make you weak or a bad parent. It makes you human, Brian. All you have to do is sit him down and explain that he can't always get his way.”

I couldn't help but laugh. “You think we haven't tried that? He's a blackmailing little shit.” I ran a hand through my hair. “And what's worse is that if he doesn't get his way through blackmailing, he says something mushy that gets to your heart and you can't help but comply his wish.”

Cynthia laughed. “You know how parents always wish for their child to have a kid like them...I guess you got the perfect replica of you, combined with Justin, yeah... Patrick is lethal.”

“Thank you, Miss PSA.” I rolled my eyes.

oOo

Justin and Patrick arrived around two in the afternoon.

Patrick came straight to me, hugging me tightly, crawling on my lap. “I'm so sorry, Daddy.”

“Does this mean you won't act like that again?”

“I'll try my very best.”

I chuckled, catching Justin's eye. He grinned.

“You should apologize to your sister too. And no more harming her, okay? You're still not forgiven for hurting her.”

“I'll go right now to apologize.”

“She's sleeping,” I pointed out. I stroked his cheek. “Are you going to behave like a big boy tomorrow when we drop you off at school?”

“I promise, Daddy.”

Ted chose that moment to barge into my office. “You want me to do WHAT?”

His savage shout woke Ruby, who nearly fell off the sofa. Justin was by her side in a second, soothing her from her startled wake up call.

“Theodore.”

He had the decency to look apologetic. “Sorry. Hey, Justin. I had no idea you had a family meeting.”

“What did you want,” I demanded.

“You want me to take over the fast food company account?”

“Yes. We're going away for a few days for Justin's show.” I glanced at Justin. He grinned at me.

“We...all of us, or only you two?” Patrick grabbed my attention.

I eyed him amused, considering we'd just talked about him acting like a big boy. “The four of us,” I explained.

“Awesome! I always wanted to see Phoenix.”

I couldn't help but laugh. “Oh, really?”

Patrick nodded seriously, tapping his chin with a finger. “There are cactuses.”

“I think it's cactus at plural too,” Theodore butted in.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Why do you like cactus?” I focused on my kid.

“Well, they're pretty...”

“Aaaand? It's not because they could hurt people?”

“Nope. I wasn't even thinking of hurting Ruby.”

“I bet.”

“Phoenix is going to be great!” Justin exclaimed. “If you promise to behave yourself we can get you a cactus for your birthday.”

I tried my best not to laugh at the freaked look on Patrick's face.

“We used to get a cactus magnet on the board when we did something bad in pre-school. Are you going to get me a cactus because I was mean to Ruby?”

“No, honey. I'm sure dada was joking. While we're there we can buy you something real nice. We'll go shopping and buy you whatever toys or clothes you want. Deal?”

“Yay!” He threw his arms around my neck, kissing my cheek. “So am I forgiven?”

“Until next time you misbehave.”